Bernie Mac Dies at 50

Matt Schudel

The comedian and actor Bernie Mac (full name Bernard McCullough) died Saturday at the age of 50. He had pneumonia, possibly complicated by a chronic lung disease, called sarcoidosis.

Bernie Mac had a hard-luck life, growing up in poverty and holding a lot of dead-end jobs, and often spoke of the foibles of African American life in his funny routines -- most of which can't be quoted on a newspaper site. If you're interested in his comic style, check out lots of entries on Youtube.

Check out the obituary in the Post, though, which I wager will be the only obit to include the comments of Bernie Mac's eighth-grade teacher. His definition of "couplet" is priceless.

By Matt Schudel  |  August 9, 2008; 6:50 PM ET
Categories:  Matt Schudel
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pentagon Papers figure dies
Next: Isaac Hayes died of stroke

Comments

This really did not say much about such a gifted person who truly was himself. That is what I love about Bernie Mac. He stayed true to himself. The first time I remember seeing him was in the movie "Life" starring Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. He also starred in "Head of State" with Chris Rock. These were great and funny movies, however, not mentioned in any article. His own brand of humor stands out in whatever he does. He truly had his own style which many understood as humor. He will be missed by many and I did not know his show had ended as I still watch it all the time. I loved it.

Posted by: Valentine | August 10, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

well i use to clean bernie carpet when he use to live downtown,with his wife rhonda,and there daughter, i thought he was the funniest guy i ever met,i never got my money on time,but he did pay me, thank GOD FOR A GOOD GUY LOVE COUNTRY

Posted by: country | August 10, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I just want to say, that I feel a huge lost,I feel that Bernie Mac was family.And yes, the world just got a little less funnier. He will be missed truley and dearly. And I hope the people that where close to him had the chance to tell him,how much they love him. Because I truly feel a deep hurt.....love B rip.YOU ARE TRULY THE KING OF COMEDY,MY FAVORITE...........LOVE YOUR FOREVER FAN..Erika

Posted by: Erika | August 10, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hello:
I just want to state that I will truly miss "Bernie Mac". I think he was one of the best comedians ever born. Just the way he would say certain words such as "tonight". When his TV Shows were aired on Fox 5 I did not miss one show because I am such a great fan. May God rest his soul in peace also may God soothe his family's heart from their loss. By the way would I be able to purchase any of his shows that was aired? thank you so much..

Posted by: Fannie Ivy Hayes | August 11, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

BERNIC MAC WAS A GOOD MAN AND I LOVE TO WATCH HIM MY HEARTS AND PRAYS GOES TO HIS FAMILY HE WILL BE MISS

Posted by: MIKE | August 11, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

When I heard the news that Bernie Mac passed all I could think about was Robert Harris and how young he was when he died. the Great ones Always die young and B.Mac was a rare talent and there will never be another comedian like our bernie mac. GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN. R.I.P. and my thoughts and prayer go out to his wife and daughter and granddaughter.

Posted by: Ni'nat | August 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

may god bless his wife and daughter you,re not alone god is right there wih you.

Posted by: dasha | August 13, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse