The Bloggers

Poll: Your Favorite Paul Newman Movie Character

Academy Award-winning actor and Hollywood legend, Paul Newman died of cancer Friday, September 26, 2008, at his farmhouse near Westport, Conn.

Newman's career in the motion pictures spanned decades and covered drama, comedy, action and just about everything else. A true leading man, he had an unforgettable face and the ability to deliver lines with punch. Many of his characters are -- and are likely to remain -- true screen icons.

Did you have a favorite Newman character? If you see it below, say so in our poll -- or leave a comment telling us who we forgot and why.

By Washington Post Editors |  September 27, 2008; 12:17 PM ET
Previous: Newman and Redford, Forever Linked | Next: Paul Newman's Shrewd Move

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

He was a hell of a driver.

Posted by: tomhere | September 27, 2008 1:42 PM

My God,
I am going to invite my friends over get drunk and watch "From the Terrace" and cry.
I love this man not only because he was a damn fine actor but because he was a generous man. Rest in peace Mr.Newman.

Posted by: Kim | September 27, 2008 2:04 PM

Butch: When we get outside, when we get to the horses, just remember one thing. Hey, wait a minute!
Sundance: What?
Butch: You didn't see Lefors out there, did ya?
Sundance: Lefors? No.
Butch: (confidently) Good. For a moment there, I thought we were in trouble.

Posted by: Sundance | September 27, 2008 2:04 PM

He was my hero, a true humanitarian, a man of integrity, and probably the most generous person of our time. He will be missed!

Posted by: Beany | September 27, 2008 2:43 PM

Exodus was a great film role with Eva Maria Saint.

Posted by: jerry rubin | September 27, 2008 2:55 PM

Just an incredible human. He will echo in history for quite some time.

Posted by: Dan | September 27, 2008 2:58 PM

How did he qualify as a philanthropist - ergo the lead story?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 27, 2008 3:35 PM

It is difficult to imagine the world without Paul Newman. He was a giant in the industry. We will all miss him. The next few days will be spent watching every movie I can get my hands on.

Posted by: Pat | September 27, 2008 3:41 PM

I find it hard to believe that I have not seen or heard any mention of what I cansider one of the greatest movies of all time,starring Mr. Newman," The Long Hot Summer", with Oeson Welles, as Big Daddy.
Man What A movie

Danny
N.Y.

Posted by: 9thstree@optonline.neT | September 27, 2008 4:40 PM

Since I played hockey for 40 years, my favorite Paul Newman character is Reggie Dunlap, player-coach of the Charleston Chiefs in Slap Shot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 27, 2008 5:27 PM

I agree, Ben Quick in The Long Hot Summer is one of my favorite Paul Newman roles. I also liked him in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Posted by: Johnna | September 27, 2008 6:00 PM

To Anonymous:

I think $150 million to charities and social services organizations qualifies him as a philanthropist. Plus he established the Hole in the Wall Gang camps for kids with cancer. About 3 years ago, during the Academy awards, he received the Gene Herscholt Award for his generosity.

We should all age with such beauty and grace. Godspeed, Paul.

Posted by: freckeface412 | September 27, 2008 6:05 PM

Danny from NY, that movie you're thinking of is "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof." Burl Ives was Big Daddy. Newman was in "Long Hot Summer," but Welles was not.
And he qualifies as a philanthropist because all the profits from Newman's Own go to charity, and because of the Hole In the Wall Gang, which runs a free camp for kids with cancer and blood diseases.
And don't forget about John Russell, his role in "Hombre."

Posted by: ny26lars | September 27, 2008 6:55 PM

Posted by: Luke fan | September 27, 2008 8:13 PM

My favorite Paul Newman movie is Nobody's Fool.

Posted by: rk | September 27, 2008 8:40 PM

Paul Newman:

Donated nearly $250 million to thousands of charities through Newman's Own

Campaigned in his old neighborhood for John Kerry in 2004--even going door-to-door at his own childhood home

Helped his family keep its store open through the Great Depression

Served in WWII

Fought for civil rights and economic justice

Always avoided the limelight

Stayed in a Hollywood marriage for 50-plus years

Paul Newman was a wonderful actor but a far better man.

Posted by: Clevelander | September 27, 2008 8:42 PM

"Hell the fall will probably kill ya!" (paraphrased)

Posted by: Riteaidbob | September 27, 2008 8:54 PM

You look at all the loud mouth opinionated Liberals in Hollywood who could use their good name to help society rather than mouth off their failed BS politics...what a wonderful place this could be.

Posted by: Riteaidbob | September 27, 2008 8:55 PM

ny26lars, Orson Welles played the patriarch, Will Varner, in The Long Hot Summer (he was the father of Joanne Woodward's character). With his make-up, he didn't much look like himself.

Posted by: Johnna | September 27, 2008 9:28 PM

I loved his work. May he rest in peace and my prayers to the family.

Posted by: sra | September 27, 2008 10:29 PM

Hey Riteaidbob -- Paul Newman WAS one of the "loud mouth opinionated Liberals in Hollywood".

What a great man.

Posted by: Chup | September 27, 2008 10:57 PM

Loving husband, devoted father, humanitarian , great actor, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof was definitely one of his greatest roles.

Posted by: ba | September 28, 2008 12:25 AM

Paul Newman was a once in a generation kind of guy. God, he was good looking! I think one of the best things about him was his wife, Joanne Woodward. There is not a finer southern lady in Hollywood than Ms. Woodward.
My condolences to her and her family.

Posted by: meowomon | September 28, 2008 4:05 AM

QUICK!
Think of another family of two Hollywood superstars demonstrating quiet grace, maintaining balanced lives, paying back society and living their own dreams without infecting ours.

Ben Quick!

Posted by: GeorgeDee | September 28, 2008 8:41 AM

I first experienced the power of Paul Newman's acting when I saw "The Hustler" on French national television in 1989 when I was an exchange student there. I saw "Cool Hand Luke" in a film class upon my return to the US. Over the following years I watched "The Long Hot Summer," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and "Hud". All of these films fed my love of cinema and / or had an impact on the person I've become.

Ironically, I was really disappointed when I got around to seeing "The Color of Money." I was surprised when I learned Newman had won an Oscar. But I was shocked when I found out he'd never won one previously for those other films. It seemed to me Hollywood penalized him because of his looks and popularity.

One of my other favorites in "Nobody's Fool."

I met him in 2004 while volunteering for the Kerry campaign in Shaker Heights, OH, where I live. He was bringing donuts over to some phone bank volunteers. His sense of purpose and humility were impressive.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Newman. You touched my life through your work, both on the screen and off, as I know you have many others'.

Posted by: mwr1968 | September 28, 2008 8:43 AM

Shakin the bush boss. I'm shakin the bush.
What we have here is failure to communicate.
I got my mind right boss.

Cool Hand Luke is Newman at his best.

Posted by: charles | September 28, 2008 11:47 AM

"Hud" is still one of the greatest American movies ever made and Newman's performance one the finest. A remarkable man and a remarkable career. He will be missed but never forgotten.

Posted by: Dylan | September 28, 2008 3:47 PM

An icon is gone, but we can remember him though the internet. My favorite movie with him is "Nobody's Fool". Just to look in his eyes, spoke such kindess. To see him with his wife showed what love is. He was blessed and he will be missed.

Posted by: Shele | September 29, 2008 12:57 PM

It is so hard to choose between Butch and Luke!!

But I went with Luke. You got yourself a real coooool hand . . .

Posted by: CJ | September 29, 2008 2:31 PM

My heart goes out to Joanne Woodward. We lost a great man. She lost a husband of 50 years. We cry with you.

Posted by: cab5015 | September 30, 2008 10:36 AM

How could you leave out HUD on your poll? Shame on you guys!

Posted by: macstages | October 1, 2008 2:07 AM

Me!

Posted by: Reg | October 1, 2008 12:56 PM

My favorite early movie of Paul Newman's is "The Young Ones" and later "The Verdict" and "Road to Perdition." It's hard to choose because mostly all of his movies were exceptional, as was he.

Posted by: Edith | October 3, 2008 9:57 AM

I am also surprised that you left out Hud. A wonderful picture; his performance -- and Patricia Neal's -- were great.

I liked Exodus, but his imitation of a Brit left much to be desired.

Posted by: GLDruss@aol.com | October 4, 2008 10:37 AM