March 5 deaths

Patsy Cline, a 30-year-old singer who reached the top of the country charts and once sang in Carnegie Hall, was one of five people killed in the crash of a private plane near Camden, Tenn. on this date in 1963. She's buried near Winchester, Va.

Can you name the other stars killed in that crash (all Grand Ole Opry veterans)? No fair Googling this.

Here's a video from a few weeks before her death:

Bonus points: What world figure, who is remembered in bronze and steel in one country in particular, died exactly ten years earlier?

By Patricia Sullivan  |  March 5, 2009; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Musicians
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Son of "Little Tramp" Dies
Next: Newspaperman as Savior

Comments

Stalin on March 5, 1953.

Which American entertainer (who is not remembered in rock, but in blues) died exactly 19 years later?

Posted by: Blurgle | March 5, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

OK, you win the bonus point, but who were the others who died in the Tennessee crash?

On the bluesman, I'd have to ask our resident blues expert, who's busy writing an obit of another bluesman, John Cephas.

Posted by: Patricia Sullivan | March 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy Copas and Hawkshaw Hawkins. (I hope I spelled that right.) I didn't Google. That's a bit of trivia I remember from a long time ago because of the alliteration in the names.

I was sad to hear about John Cephas. He and Phil Wiggins were great together. I even have those German LPs somewhere.

Posted by: -pj- | March 6, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"I Fall to Pieces" is a great song, and Cline's performance is fabulous, but it's kind of an unfortunate memorial to someone who died in a plane crash.

Posted by: -pj- | March 6, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

PJ, you're right. Cline's manager, Randy Hughes, also died. I agree with your later comment about the song; but if you'll notice the date, it was only 2 or 3 weeks before her death, so I thought it was a timely link.

Posted by: Patricia Sullivan | March 9, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse