"Mr. Sandman," "Lollipop" Singer Dies

The Newark Star-Ledger reports the death of Nancy Overton, who as one of the singing Chordettes in the 1950s helped popularize songs including "Mr. Sandman" and "Lollipop."

By Adam Bernstein  |  April 8, 2009; 6:31 PM ET
Categories:  Musicians
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shroud-eating Vampires!
Next: Practitioner of a Lost Art

Comments

From about this blog... "For those of us who write them, obituaries are never morbid because they focus on the endlessly fascinating ways people choose to live their lives."

We are actually somewhat familiar with the songs already. The woman's life, though, not so much. Any chance there will be something about the woman's life forthcoming? I don't mean to be snarky, but there really isn't much here.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | April 8, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Right up top, Adam provided a link to the Star-Ledger's extensive obit.

Posted by: ujja | April 9, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Yes he did. Between that link and the embedding of two media files from another site, he must have spent all of 3 minutes on this. Beats actually doing some work, I guess. My expectations are apparently just too high.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | April 9, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a great life. Loved..and still love the songs. A simpler time...at least in retrospect.

Posted by: Jasper5 | April 9, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Did a little web searching and found to my surprise that the Chordettes did indeed record the song "Mr. Sandman" for the first time. (I had thought it was a cover for a previous recording, maybe by a bigger named group, like the Mcguire or Andrews Sisters, but I was wrong.) Very pleasant light pop. I remember the time fondly as well.

Posted by: barnesgene | April 9, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Next to The Fix, he's the epitome of hard work and enterprise.

If WaPo paid these guys like the part-timers they are, they prbably would saveenough in salaries to stay afloat.

Posted by: gbooksdc | April 9, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse