The Bloggers

Best Obit of the Week

Patricia Sullivan

What obits are you liking out there? Give us your thoughts throughout the week and on Friday, we'll run a little poll for Best Obit of the Week (BOW -- wow, what an acronym!)

You don't have to limit yourself to the Washington Post obits, but if you want to look back, we keep our obits archived at our home page; be sure to click on "More Stories" at the bottom of the page.

Make suggestions, and I'll incorporate the most-suggested ones in our poll.

By Patricia Sullivan |  June 1, 2009; 4:00 PM ET  | Category:  Patricia Sullivan , Poll, survey
Previous: "Bloke in a Frock" | Next: Washington's Wolfman Jack

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

BEST obit, eh? Kinda like asking which of your children you prefer, but OK... Actually, I can't decide between two: Millvina Dean, last known survivor of the Titanic sinking, or Don Dillard, DC-area rock-and-roll DJ. Millvina was the last living link to an event that will resonate through the ages and her story is simply amazing. And Don Dillard was a link to an era when music mattered on the radio. Come ON! Link Wray! Elvis! Carl Perkins! Pat Boone! (Well, three out of four...). I wish it were 1959 again and I could tune in Don while driving to the Hot Shoppes in my '57 Chevy - made by, um, GM, which is having a near-obit experience.
Sam Litzinger

Posted by: samlitz | June 2, 2009 4:11 PM

Having just returned from Scotland, you guys have moved a bit ahead of The Times' obits, but still trail The Telegraph. Maybe dead Brits have done more interesting things. However, reading Post obits now is much more entertaining and interesting than in the past. I hope to become a regular participant in this.
Cheers

Posted by: cpowers2 | June 2, 2009 4:26 PM

Which child do you prefer? That's what they're asking on The Post's education blog.

Posted by: wapshot2003 | June 2, 2009 4:38 PM

Steve Miller's obit for General Motors in the Daily Beast gets my vote. It's brilliant.

Posted by: relfyh | June 3, 2009 1:18 AM

I agree - Steve Miller's GM obit was great.

Posted by: Blurgle | June 4, 2009 11:12 AM

My favorite: Larry Stevens

I loved the meticulousness of his art and craft: "He would spend hours making sure he caught the correct grooves, shadows and dimensions of a coin, including how faces and images were raised ever so slightly from the coin's surface."

Posted by: chicagogirl | June 4, 2009 11:50 AM