Metro Crash Victim: Cameron Williams

Cameron Williams was among the casualties in yesterday's Metro accident. If you knew Williams, we'd love to hear your anecdotes and memories in this space.

The entry date of this post does not reflect when it was written. It was written Tuesday, June 23.

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  June 17, 2009; 7:02 PM ET
Categories:  Washington DC-area people
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro Crash Victim: Veronica DuBose
Next: From D.C. to Antarctica

Comments

I'm still stunned, and in disbelief over the death of a man I can call friend. Cameron, you will definitely be missed, but that smile, and how you carried yourself. As we often departed, I leave these words to you...I Love You Bro!

Posted by: brianhilliard30 | June 24, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

A wonderful friend. He loved his family, friends, and sports.

He will be very missed by all.

Posted by: Shaya10 | June 24, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I am STILL in shock! This was the most gentle and calm spirit I have ever known. I graduated with Cameron in 1991 from Coolidge, and there are only fond memories of him - that bright and warming smile! Lord knows we need more men like him around. This man NEVER uttered a negative word out of his mouth the past 21 years I have known him - not one. I'm still amazed at how he maintained such a title! Ironically, the last time I saw Cameron was at Takoma subway. I spoke and he spoke back - of course with that adorable smile!

I'd never question the Lord's reasons, but this one has to be that he needed another angel - obedient and willing to serve with a smile. This is a huge loss for me. So, I couldn't imagine how much of a loss it is for his family! Cameron, you and your smile (which had a life of its own) will be missed by all - just promise that you'll smile down on me from time to time. Many blessings to your family.

Posted by: bodymagicbykim | June 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

This is such a shock. I went to school with Cameron for 13 years - Kindergarten through 12th at Takoma and Coolidge. Him and my brother were still friends. A few years ago, I used to see him all the time at Takoma Station. Even invited him to my church for service one Sunday. Such a pleasant spirit he had.

Posted by: keishag14 | June 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Cameron was a genuine friend. He was never phony about anything. Whether our conversations were about God, sports or politics, I knew he was gonna tell me what he really felt. This brother never forgot to send something on your birthday, Christmas or Father's Day. He was a true faithful friend to me and I will miss him. I will pray for peace during this rough time for the Williams family and all the other victims.

Posted by: Tarel | June 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I will miss Cameron(Taihi)so much. He and I grow up together and we lived across the street from each other. He was like a brother to me. This is so hard for me to believe his gone. I will miss our weekly discussions on sports, music, etc. He was a big Kobe Bryant and Duke Bluedevils fan. He spent every Thanksgiving with me and my family for the past 9 years. The holidays will never be the same without him. My condolences go out to his family. Rest in Peace Taihi, you will be missed.

Posted by: ksteph | June 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Cameron Williams worked at the Federal Trade Commission while he was a high school student in the 1990s. His colleagues who remain at the Commission remember him as a kind and generous person, and we wish to extend our deepest condolences to his family.

Posted by: yrg1970 | June 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I did not know any of the victims from the crash but my heart and prayers go out to all the families! From the comments written about this young man, he will be forever missed!

Posted by: angeladbarnes | June 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of my former student, Cameron Williams. I can still remember Cameron as a delightful third-grader at Takoma School. It was a pleasure to have taught him and have contact with the rest of the Williams family for many years. May the healing power of memories of Cameron and his generous spirit visit you in quiet moments and nourish your soul.

Posted by: swhowell | June 24, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I am truly blessed to have known you. You will always be remebered as a neighbor, a confidant, a friend. I'll never forget us attending the last Redskins game at RFK, the wrestling matches, the Wizard games, and our chats across the fence. You have served your purpose here on earth and transitioned to a much better place. I look forward to seeing you on the other side. Rest in peace my friend, you will be truly missed.

Posted by: miller9383 | June 24, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't say that I kept in contact with Cameron over the years since graduation. However, I recall as another person put it, his "gentle and calm" spirit. I don't think he ever raised his voice; I even recall in school, the teacher would have to make him talk up in class. God blessed me with one last opportunity to see Cameron recently. After almost 18 years, I literally walked into Cameron and he was the SAME Cameron. Still soft spoken and flashing that smile. He had that kind of smile that you could see a little twinkle like the kind they draw in cartoons. I offer my sincerest and deepest condolences to the family as well as friends of Cameron.

Posted by: kokoaustin | June 24, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I was so taken aback when I saw Cameron's picture on the news last evening. I have known him since he and my children went to Takoma together. He was always such a polite and affable young man. Many were the days that we chatted in front of my house, while walking together to Takoma metro or after having discovered each other on the train.

My heart goes out to his grandmother, mother and aunt, and the rest of his family. Such an absolutely nice guy from childhood through manhood, he will be sorely missed.

Posted by: eclecticelder | June 25, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

CAMERON

YOU WERE TAKEN FROM US PREMATURELY, BUT SOMETIMES THE GOOD DIE YOUNG.

REST FOREVER IN GOD'S LOVING CARE.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | June 25, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

We truly lost a good black man. We worked together at NAHB years ago. We'd talk sports like most dudes. He was easy going and a humble man, something that's rare in this day and age. Over the years, we'd bump into one another at the Metro, remember the good ol days. Gone too young. Your memory lives on. May the peace and blessing of God be upon you and your family.

Posted by: csherro | June 25, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

When I first heard his name on the news I thought"No-it can't be." The next day I got a phone call from a friend and when I heard his voice I knew my worst thoughts had come true-it was Cameron. I met Cameron about 12 years when he came to work at the law firm where I'm currently working. When I told folks within the office that Cameron was one of the victims on the train no one could believe it. Everyone that I spoke to had one thing in common to say about Cameron,"He was a nice guy that kept a big smile on face." When I think about it, I never saw Cameron upset or complain about anything. He was a very humble guy that always kept a smile on his face. He resigned after working with me for two years but he always stayed in touch-always remembering birthdays with a card or phone call. He was a gift from God on loan to us all. God bless you Cameron. It was a blessing to have know such a humble soul.

Posted by: mikee5171 | June 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20580

June 26, 2009

MEMORANDUM
FROM: FTC

We were saddened to learn that Cameron "Ty" Williams, a former intern in the Bureau of Competition’s Mergers I division, was killed in Monday’s tragic crash of two trains on Metro’s Red Line. Ty interned at the Commission from 1992 to 1994 while he was a student at Coolidge High School in the District. He was a polite, hard-working, and kind person whose generous personality made him a friend to all of his colleagues. He was a regular participant in office basketball and softball games and after work get-togethers, and was an avid fan of Duke basketball and the Redskins. His genuine enthusiasm and remarkable smile made it impossible for staff to resist taking him under their wings. After leaving the Commission, he went on to pursue coursework at the University of the District of Columbia, and later held positions in law firms, offices and other government agencies. Although he left the Commission more than a decade and a half ago, he kept in touch with his old office often, and never failed to send his friends cards at Christmas. Ty will be truly missed by his friends and colleagues at the Federal Trade Commission.

Posted by: lcunningham1 | June 26, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Cameron was my 3rd cousin his grandmother and my grandmother were sisters. We did not get to spend a lot of time together doing the years which I now regret so deeply, but the time I did spend with him I could see he was one of the most gentle people I have ever met his spirit will live on in all of us forever more.

cousin Lanny

Posted by: ulandacooke | June 27, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I grew up with Tai's father, and I have known him since he was a baby. I cannot stopy crying about this wonderful young man. He lived in the neighborhood where his father,aunts, uncles, mother and I spent our childhoods. No one could meet a nicer young man. His sudden death is a blow to all of us and a great loss to the world. May God bless his soul as he rests in eternal peace.

Posted by: sbraxton | June 27, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I talked to Cameron hours before the Metro Crash. And right now i'm just shooked up in disbelief that he's gone. Cameron is just "SIMPLY AMAZING AND UNFORGETABLE" in every possible way! In the short time frame of knowing him. The impression and impact he left on me is more than I can ever express. His humbleness, kind, caring, loving, thoughtful, extremely intelligent, respectful, a magnificent friend to many, and gentle calm spirit. Loved his family, friends, and definitely his sports. His smile and spirit just warms your heart & soul. I have cried soo much, as I listen and read our last messages between the two of us. And look at the pictures he sent me. I pray for all his family and friends, that God grant them the strength and peace they need during this time. I love you Cameron T. Williams, and i'm truly going to miss you my magnificent friend!......Tracey K.

Posted by: FRUIT4HIM | June 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse