The Bloggers

Metro Crash Victim: Veronica DuBose

Veronica DuBose was among the casualties in yesterday's Metro accident. If you knew DuBose, we'd love to hear your anecdotes and memories in this space.

The entry date of this post does not reflect when it was written. It was written Tuesday, June 23.

By Christopher Dean Hopkins |  June 17, 2009; 6:55 PM ET  | Category:  Washington DC-area people
Previous: Metro Crash Victim: Ana Fernandez | Next: Metro Crash Victim: Cameron Williams

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

My name is Sharon R. Sims; I am the great-aunt of Veronica DuBois, one of the fatalities of the horrific WMATA crash on Monday, June 21, 2009. Veronica was the Mother of two small children, and had mapped out plans to enhance and improve her life. This tragic accident has left her parents, Erwin & Yvonne (step-mother) DuBois, and her siblings, along with our entire family yearning to understanding why. The word accidents is so board that you question so many things, and the reality usually is you will really never know. Mechanical or human error does not change the outcome; it just tries up loss ends to a very tragic occurrence.

Veronica, your smile will light up the Heavens. Kiss NaNa for us, she will be waiting for you.

Posted by: sharonsims2 | June 23, 2009 9:23 PM

I did not know this young lady, but as a mom I know she would want her children to have wonderful lives filled with all the love, hope and inspiration she would have given them. As a nurse she took care of others, she left that evening to improve her skills to help other people. The loss of this woman is a tragedy to the whole community. If she could have told her children one thing, I am sure it would be for them to lead happy and healthy lives.
I send my condolences to the family on the loss of their loved one.

Posted by: mola | June 23, 2009 11:08 PM

I love you and miss you.
Cousin Steph

Posted by: STraynham | June 23, 2009 11:14 PM

To the Family of Veronica DuBose,

I am very sorry for your loss of someone whom was very dear and loved by many.
To experience death in such a tradgic way is unresponse to ones feelings and setting. I would say to the family and friends of Ms. DuBose to keep her close and near, remember all the joy and what made her happy as well as yourself. This - death I should say is not going to be easy, it is a ride, a long ride; it's further than any road trip or air trip that you have ever been on. It's a ride that will be with you until the day that you join Ms. DuBose. Stay strong, think positive and always keep her safe and near your heart. Believe that Veronica is in a safer and in better hands God's hands.....
May Veronica DuBose rest in peace......

Posted by: Tootstermite | June 24, 2009 9:04 AM

I am so sorry to hear of my babygirl cousin. RONI. My prayers are with her and the family. This is truley a tragic moment, undercircumstances, but I know she is in a better place. My heart and prayers go out to her mother, aunts and uncles, and we will be praying for the family and most importantly, her children who she leaves behind.

Posted by: CousinMelandFam | June 24, 2009 9:43 AM

I am deeply sorry to hear about Roni’s passing. This news came as a shock to us all. The Everett family’s prayers, heartfelt sympathy and condolences are with Roni, Raja, Ava and family; and all those who died, lost a loved one, or were injured in this tragedy. This is truly a tough time, and together we will get through it.

Posted by: dionneeverett | June 24, 2009 12:00 PM

On behalf of Sanz College, we express our deepest condolences to Veronica's family and friends. Although Veronica had not yet begun classes, she made a very warm impression on those she interacted with during her admissions process. We were very much looking forward to having her join our Sanz family and to help her reach her dreams to help others as a Medical Assistant. She will be missed by many.

Posted by: rrynders | June 24, 2009 12:28 PM

I am so shocked that you are not here anymore. You will truly be missed. Your friend Leslie. May you rip and look over your kids.

Posted by: missthang8141978 | June 24, 2009 1:49 PM

Veronica we were just partying at Roose's class of 96-99 reunion at Club 12, now you are partying with the Lord. Words can't bring you back but they can keep your memory alive! Veronica "Bon-Bon" DuBois (DuBose), all your Rough Rider fam will be out on Roose's field on Saturday June 27 @ 8 pm, where we cheered our butts off, sending you and Ryan Trotman some Rider love! We will miss you both and never forget you!

Your fellow Rough Rider,
Dara G.
Class of 1996

Posted by: nachez | June 24, 2009 6:40 PM

VERONICA

FOR REASONS UNKNOWN TO US, GOD CALLED YOU HOME JUST AS YOUR LIFE WAS BLOSSOMING.

IT IS ALWAYS A SHAME THAT FREQUENTLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG.

MAY YOU REST FOREVER IN GOD'S CARE.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | June 25, 2009 2:44 AM

May your soul be welcomed by GOD as I know it will.

Posted by: truthbeebold | June 25, 2009 7:08 AM

i just like to say may God bless the Dubose family,and to trust him with all your heart lean not to your own understanding and he wil guide you through this ,please let me know the funeral arrangments i myself am a DuBose and would like to attend i am sure we are family!!

Posted by: Jbose7 | June 25, 2009 7:27 AM

Ronnie

I love you and will miss you.
To the family may GOD give us peace until
we meet with Ronnie again.

Cousin Tricey

Posted by: lsims061377 | June 25, 2009 8:15 AM

I remember Roni, as family and friends called her, she was so awesome to hang out with. She worked with my mom at the culpeper health and rehab center. she was over at out house for every family event, she was like an older sister to me. We did so much together when she lived in culpeper. I just pray her family will get through this rough time. And i pray that Raja and Ava will be okay and i know they will be well taken care of. My condolences go out to the family.
Theresa Keller
Aka TEE by Roni

Posted by: wise_theresa | June 25, 2009 8:53 AM

I would like to offer my expression of sympathy and condolences to my dear friends, Erwin and YaVonne Dubose, and their families, on the sudden and tragic loss of Veronica,their daughter. It was through YaVonne that I met Veronica and was impressed by her high ambitions and fun loving spirit. I know that YaVonne and Mr. DuBose will continue to provide a very loving and caring home to Raja and Ava and ensure that they grow up knowing that they were loved by their Mom. It is indeed a tragedy to have such a bright star taken away prematurely. Veronica had so many dreams, hopes and goals that she was working hard to accomplish. I pray that this family is comforted in knowing that in times like these, God's words hold the answers. Pray and continue to trust in Him. My heartfelt prayers go out to the family and to those two beautiful children that she leaves behind.

Prayerfully, Delores Junious

Posted by: Junadee | June 25, 2009 11:15 AM

I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER MY EXPRESSION OF SYMPATHY AND CONDOLENCES TO THE DUBOSE FAMILIES I DIDINT KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER, BUT I READ YOU STORY AND I JUST CANT IMGAINE MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOUR FAMILY GOD BLESS YOU PRAYFULLY AMANDA

Posted by: watkinsa92 | June 25, 2009 11:30 AM

May God bless the family of Veronica DuBose. Know that she is now an angel watching over you.

Posted by: tryagain472000 | June 25, 2009 12:26 PM

Veronica - You will truly be missed! Your smile brighten the place. It says we are not suppose to question God but I just can't understand why you are gonna. Words will not bring you back and I pray that you are resting in peace. I will keep your family and kids in my prayers. I will be there on Saturday to celebrate you beautiful life.

Your fellow Rough Rider,
Nicole J.
Class of 1996

Posted by: mspeacheybear | June 25, 2009 12:56 PM

My Prayers and sympathy are with the Dubose Family. I am saddened that as parents you will never be able to see this lovely young woman grow and achieve all her dreams. And,her young children will never be able to see their amazing Mom and what sacrafices she was willing to make for them to have a better life. May God Bless and Keep you.

Posted by: concernedforus | June 25, 2009 1:24 PM

My prayers and sympathy go out to the family. Veronica will be missed.

Ms. Pringle
RHS Cheer Coach 1992-2002
Rough Rider Forever

Posted by: DellSidburyPringle | June 25, 2009 2:47 PM

My prayers and condolences are with the DuBose family. My husband and I will be at the candle light vigil for Veronica and Ryan Trotman to celebrate the wonderful lives that will now watch over us. RIP!

Your Fellow Rough Rider Cheerleader,
Mrs. Shaketta Cunningham
Class of 1999

Posted by: ssmcneil01 | June 25, 2009 3:16 PM

I would like to offer my condolences to the DuBose family. I did not know Veronica personally but I do know the family. My children are related to Eric DuBose Jr. I know Big Eric and little Eric very well. My prayers are with the family and to hold on to God and he will see you through. My heart goes out to the entire DuBose family.

Janice

Petworth neighborhood

Posted by: janicetillery2000 | June 25, 2009 3:35 PM

MY HEART AND PRAYERS ARE WITH THE DUBOSE FAM AND FRIENDS!!!!!! IT SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY @ THE RR REUNION THAT WE WERE LAUGHIN, HUGGIN, AND PARTYIN!!!!! U ALWAYS HAD A SMILE ON YOUR FACE!!!!!! THAT WILL TRULY BE MISSED MY MANY!!!!I WILL KEEP THE FAM IN MY PRAYERS!!!!!!GOD NEEDED YOU AND YOUR SMILE TO SHINE IN HEAVEN!!!! NOW YOUR KIDS AND FAM WILL ALWAYS HAVE AN ANGEL WATCHIN OVER THEM!!!!!

Posted by: Myra_ford | June 25, 2009 3:36 PM

Veronica, you were one of my bestest friends, we hung together all the time. We walked home from school and we even skipped school (sorry daddy, LOL!) Ronni I Love U and will miss u. I love the whole fam, yes Lil Erwin and Lindsey and especially daddy! U were and are apart of my fam just like I was apart of yours. You will never be forgotten.

Your fellow Rough Rider, Sista and closet friend

Class Of 1998
Andrea T.

Posted by: dtlr14 | June 25, 2009 11:26 PM

To Cousin Bonnie and Pete,

I am so sorry and lost for words. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Tiffany and Anecia also send their love as well.

Kim

Posted by: gammysgirl | June 26, 2009 9:18 AM

Ronnie,
You truely will be missed. You were just at my house trying to get me to start hanging out and partying again.I hope the Lord's party you are at is much better than any party on this earth. I love you and I will keep Raja and Ava in my prayers as well as your family.
To the family of this beautiful young lady:
God will never put more on you than you can bear and everything is all in Gods GOOD plan no matter how bad it seems right now. Stay encouraged and uplifted. God has just welcomed in a new Angel!!!

Posted by: asheylee1 | June 26, 2009 11:07 AM

My heart is saddened for your loss. I remember Veronica as a spunky, energetic teenager the last time I saw her. I know that she is in a better place. Stay strong; and keep the strong faith in God that our family has. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

Posted by: rochellefaircook | June 26, 2009 12:21 PM

Niece, you were like a treasure chest, everytime you open the chest, We never knew, which gift we would receive from you.

I am really going to miss you.
Aunt Georgia

One More Day
Sitting sadly on my bed
Listening to the wild winds blow,
Crying bitterly behind my hair
Trying not to let it show.

Knowing that you won't be back
You left without good-bye's,
Never to mend my broken heart
Letting loose my cries.

Everyday I waited
And everyday I prayed,
Hoping God would leave you here
At least just one more day.

For the Jenkins, Williams, and Dubose Family

Posted by: georgiaharris2008 | June 26, 2009 12:53 PM

I'm still in shock. I was in the old neightborhood today and heard one of the nine was Ronnie.

It's been years since I've seen Ronnie, but we grew up around the corner from each other. She was on Ga. Ave, I was Critt St. We'd meet at the corner and walk to church, school, everywhere we could when we were little. I remember her laugh and smile. My heart cries for the entire DuBose family, tears of joyous childhood memories, especially for Pee-Wee and Bonnie.

Much Love, Chris (Wisdom-Smith Family)

Posted by: ChristinaMitchell | June 27, 2009 11:33 PM

Ronni,
I know that over time we fell apart, but I will always remember the good times that we all shared together over in The Commons. All the late night Spades battles, watching Raja and NiNi growing up. I just can't believe you're gone, and in such a tragic way. You will always be missed and remembered by so many, and you will always live on through beautiful Raja and Ava. They will grow up with your strength, and that strength will guide them and everyone you knew through these times. You are in a better place now. Goodbye Ronnie, love you and miss you.

-Lisa Pusey (Lisa Bryce)

Posted by: lisahead16 | June 29, 2009 10:08 PM

My prayers and condolences are with the DuBose family. RIP "Veronica" you will be miss..

Shaun