Video: Three Classic Cronkite Broadcasts

On the Assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.:

On the Assassination of John F. Kennedy:

On the First Manned Mission to the Moon:

By Mike McPhate  |  July 17, 2009; 9:07 PM ET
 | Tags: apollo, broadcast, cronkite, jfk, mlk
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Looking Back at Cronkite
Next: Walter Cronkite

Comments

What other news person of today is watched or heard on radio or T V like Mr Cronkite

Posted by: KoalaBear2525aolcom | July 17, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the three videos you showed as a tribute to Mr.Cronkites contributions as a news caster.

It wasn't until then that I realized how much he shaped my reception of those events as they were happening.

His witness was immediate, unbiased and without manipulation; and yet, personal in a way that we simply don't see anymore in newscasting these days.

Today we truly lost a National Treasure.

Thank you for this tribute, Monika Eaton

Posted by: MSchneider1 | July 17, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I too, echo what has been said: That he was there telling us of the good things and bad! Being 9 when we planted the flag on the Moon, I don't remember these clips when originally broadcast, my parents were NBC's Huntley-Brinkley Report fans, Now as an adult and a history fan I've seen thes three clips and many others of WC newscasts. One that comes to mind was the CBS special on Viet Nam with Cronkite over there saying that he doesn't believe we will win there. When LBJ heard that he was heard to say: "That when I've lost Walter Cronkite I've lost the war!" Talk about the power of the spoken word - He sure had it! One last thing, He died a week too soon, As we've seen - the clip of the Eagle landing on the Moon, 40 years ago this Monday, it would've have been terrific to hear his thoughts of the historic day 40 years later!

Posted by: scottmarquiss | July 17, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

A legend has passed today, there will never be another Cronkite. He was in the right place at the right time for America to watch and the world to listen to what he was telling us. Thank you Mr.Cronkite and Godspeed on your voyage home!

Posted by: nlights | July 18, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I remember Cronkite's daily recitation of the number of days Americans had been held hostage in Iran in 1979 and 1980. As a supporter of Jimmy Carter, who I knew was being damaged by having the crisis drag on, I wasn't happy with the daily reminder but I think Cronkite was just doing his job a journalist.

Posted by: RealChoices | July 18, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I was touring Nantucket about 10 years ago, just roaming around looking for a restaurant I could afford, when there was Walter Cronkite, sitting passenger in a white Cadillac, a captain's hat on, looking very relaxed. I hadn't known he lived up in that most beautiful part of our country, but it made sense.

Posted by: mcleangirl | July 18, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse