Sandra Day O'Connor's Husband Dies

John J. O'Connor III, 79, the husband of retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, died Wednesday in Phoenix, Ariz. He had Alzheimer's disease.

John O'Connor, himself a lawyer, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's nearly two decades ago. His condition deteriorated markedly in mid-decade and when Justice O'Connor announced her retirement in 2005, she cited the need to care her husband. She has became a vocal supporter of additional money for Alzheimer's research.
oconnor.JPG
The O'Connors were married in 1952 and became a leading couple on Washington's social scene when they moved from Arizona in 1981 following her confirmation as the first woman on the Supreme Court.
Adam Bernstein's obit of Mr. O'Connor is now online.

By Patricia Sullivan  |  November 11, 2009; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  Washington DC-area people
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Daily Goodbye
Next: The Daily Goodbye

Comments

My condolences to Justice O'Connor and her family.

Posted by: mortified469 | November 11, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Likewise, my condolences to Justice O'Connor and her family. Hopefully Justice O'Connor will be able to enjoy the rest of her retirement with her family.

Posted by: ahashburn | November 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I echo mortified's sentiments.

Fifty-seven year married - that's a long run. It's good to hear people still stay together that long and endure good times and bad.

Posted by: itsagreatday1 | November 11, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

O'conner should have stayed on the court.

(no man would resign to take care of an institutionalized wife, and neither should she have done so.)

Posted by: tru-indy | November 11, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

A good lady. Condolences.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | November 11, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

This is NOT news.

Posted by: jewishmother | November 11, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I have two relatives with Alzheimer's disease. My grandfather, and my aunt, who has the early onset version. It is such a sad disease, that affects not only the person with it, but all the family around them. My condolences to Justice O'Connor and her family, I believe she handled her husband's disease with grace and from what it sounds like, she loved her husband very much. I hope that she is doing ok herself.

Posted by: VAtoLA | November 11, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what else to add except thoughts and prayers to the O'Connors.

Posted by: bbride1 | November 11, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I watched a friend struggle with the pain of losing her mother to the disease. I hope Justice O'connor can take solace from the good years she shared with her husband.

Posted by: mickle1 | November 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

This is NOT news.

Posted by: jewishmother
* * *
No, honey, when YOU die, it won't be news. Unlike you, John O'Connor was a person of accomlishments whose his death is worth noting. Oh, and way to be a shanda for the goyim, bee-atch.

Posted by: 7900rmc | November 11, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"After she resigned from the Court, word leaked out that her husband, living in an Alzheimer's facility in Phoenix, had fallen in love with another patient, which is apparently not an uncommon occurrence for people who have the disease. Justice O'Connor handled the news with grace."

You're happy to keep the details of Sniper Muhammed's LAST MEAL a secret?

Posted by: TOMHERE | November 11, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

TOMHERE,

It is only relevant because it had been reported before in the media when Mr. O'Connor was put into a nursing home/assisted living facility. It is just repeating something that was previously reported.

It is not perhaps germane to the subject, other than it was perhaps a byproduct of having Alzheimer's disease whereby one spouse slowly and over time forgets the other spouse and then often will form an attachment with another when in a facility environment.

Posted by: therealkatiebug | November 11, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

This is NOT news.

Posted by: jewishmother
* * *

Posted by: 7900rmc
* * *

LMAO!.....classic. Way to go 7900.

Posted by: dorklord | November 11, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"I'm interested in knowing why someone thought this information would be germane to the story.... It seems to me that this information is too personal and possibly too painful a reminder of the toll of this terrible disease."

I think it is news and helpful to others who have loved ones who have suffered from this disease, to know that they are not alone in experiencing this symptom.

Posted by: blipper | November 11, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!.....classic. Way to go 7900.

Thanks for weighing in, Jim Rome.

Posted by: Axel2 | November 11, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

How sad! Justice O'Connor handled her husband's Alzheimer's with grace and class. May she and the rest of their family find consolation and peace.

Posted by: dcgrasso1 | November 12, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse