Remembering Sen. Robert Byrd

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, 92, a West Virginia Democrat and the longest-serving member of Congress, died early this morning at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Known for his stentorian orations seasoned with biblical and classical allusions, he saw himself both as institutional memory and as guardian of the Senate's prerogatives.

A number of Sen. Byrd's colleagues are paying their respects to the man who rose from the coal fields of his home state to become an influential Washington figure.

Sen. Byrd's presence and work over the decades reached far beyond the halls of Congress. Please share your memories, stories and appreciations in the comments below.

By Sakina Rangwala  |  June 28, 2010; 9:26 AM ET
 | Tags: sen. robert byrd appreciation, sen. robert byrd died, sen. robert byrd dies, sen. robert byrd memories
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daily Goodbye
Next: Swatch founder Nicolas Hayek dies at 82

Comments

Memories of Robert Byrd

I remember that he was a member of the KKK. In fact, in spite of his later denials, he was an officer in the KKK.

I remember how he spent billions and billions of dollars, to bribe his constituents to keep voting for him.

I remember how little he did actually helped West Virginia.

I remember Robert Byrd approving the cutting off of mountain tops in West Virginia, all in the pursuit of Big Coal interests.

I remember him using the "n word" on Fox News, and no one cared.

I remember his dislike of Jews and Israel.

I remember how he was a professional politician, who changed his views to stay in power.

I remember that he represents everything wrong in politics, how we have a ruling class that runs this country, instead of citizen representatives/Senators.

Posted by: grantpaten | June 28, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Teeeeed, Ted, I looooove you and miss you."

Posted by: CHANGE3 | June 28, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Before we go overboard praising Byrd consider what it would be like if the Senate had a hundred members as adept at finagling the rules and looting the Treasury for their own state's provincial interests.

Posted by: rkfoster04 | June 28, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I knew Senator Byrd. Forget about politics. Yes, the Senator was a politician, but not one in the modern sense of the word. He came from a different time, but was able to transcend it and grow as a person. Unlike most modern politicians, he wasn't afraid to admit a mistake, learn, and dedicate himself to doing what it took to repair any damage caused by outdated ideas. West Virginia was and is a state with economic challenges, Senator Byrd's leadership helped many of us develop a pathway out of poverty and into the middle class. Senator Byrd loved the people of West Virginia. He especially loved the folks who lived in the little white houses. He had more in common with them than he ever did with K street. I am proud to have know him, to have had the chance to set and talk with him, to consider him my friend. Senator Byrd, you will be missed, but never forgotten.

Posted by: ComstockWV | June 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the post by Grantpaten -- Byrd was the epitome of the professional politition who only exists to perpetuate himself. He was the definition of "Pork Barrel politics".
When John Stossel tried to interview him several years ago,on 20/20, about his egregious spending spending on West Virginia tobacco growers, et., he had the gall to tell Stossel it was none of his business and refused to answer any questions; and basically threw him out of his office.
This is why we need term limitations on political offices. They get too powerful!

Posted by: waynenjerriford | June 28, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse