Rich Cronin, LFO "Summer Girls" Writer, Dies

Update: Click here to read the full obituary of Rich Cronin.

Rich Cronin, the bleach-tipped "Summer Girls" songsmith from the late 1990s boy band "LFO," has died. He had leukemia and was 36.

The group's best known song, "Summer Girls" was a top pop tune for most of the summer of 1999 and the single sold more than 1,000,000 units.

The song peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard chart, mostly due to the catchy melody and syrupy sweet rap solo performed by Mr. Cronin.

"New Kids on the Block had a bunch of hits/ Chinese food makes me sick/ And I think it's fly when girls stop by for the summer, for the summer."

LFO, which was short for "Lyte Funky Ones," had some success with their second single, "Girl on TV." The music video for that song featured a cameo by Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Check out this video below for group's biggest hit. Mr. Cronin is the lead singer wearing the blue shirt and peroxide hair.

My favorite lyrics from the song are: "When you take a sip you buzz like a hornet/ Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of sonnets."

What are you favorites? Please leave your memories or thoughts on Mr. Cronin's life below.

By T. Rees Shapiro  |  September 9, 2010; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Musicians , T. Rees Shapiro  | Tags: LFO, Lyte Funky Ones, Rich Cronin, Rich Cronin Dies, Summer Girls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John W. Kluge, Telecom Billioniare, Dies At 95
Next: Ronald Walters, U-Md. scholar of race and politics, dies at 72

Comments

Rest in Peace Rich.

"I wish, wish for you on a falling star.
Wondering where you are, do I ever cross your mind in the warm sunshine."

Posted by: lazkez | September 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | September 9, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I second that: who?

Posted by: brandonesque | September 9, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Never heard of him, the song, or the band. And, after watching the video, I'm glad I hadn't.

Posted by: rpcv84 | September 9, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

apparently you weren't a teenage girl in the 90's. this song was great, i'm sorry to hear about his death.

Posted by: arae | September 9, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I like girls that wear Abercombie & Fitch

Posted by: MattyTB | September 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This makes me really sad. It makes the 13 year old in me cry! I remember the summer this song came out! Right before middle school!

Posted by: mld3010 | September 9, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"I stole your honey like I stole your bike . . ."

Posted by: island1 | September 9, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse