Baseball Manager Sparky Anderson dies at 76

By Matt Schudel
Matt Schudel

Sparky Anderson, the colorful manager of the Cincinnati Reds' "Big Red Machine" of the 1970s and of the Detroit Tigers in the 1980s, died Thursday at 76. He had entered a hospice in California a day before and had been suffering from dementia.

Anderson, who was known for his blunt, humorous style of speaking -- often laced with off-the-wall "Sparkyisms" -- was a genius on the baseball diamond. He led the Reds to World Series titles in 1975 and 1976, then managed the Tigers to the world title in 1984. He was the first manager in history to win the World Series in both leagues.

When he retired from managing in 1995, his 2,194 victories were third all time, after only trailing only Connie Mack and John McGraw. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000.

A full obituary is here.

By Matt Schudel  | November 4, 2010; 2:40 PM ET
Categories:  Matt Schudel
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jule Sugarman dies: Head Start founder was 83
Next: The Wit and Wisdom of Sparky Anderson

Comments

Please don't call the winning of the MLB World Series as winning a "world title." The World Series has zip to do with "the world." It is not a "world championship."

Posted by: Craig_Colgan | November 4, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Craig_Colgan...go take a cold shower.
____________________________________________

Sparky was of the old school. It's too bad we don't have players like him. Go in peace, Sparky.

Posted by: mortified469 | November 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Geez Craig Colgate I think you might have missed the point of the story. RIP Sparky

Posted by: last1 | November 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Really Colgan? A man dies and all you have better to do is complain about the word "world" in World Series? Get a life.

Posted by: pmoneill | November 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

My Sparky Memory:

When I was about 8 years old, my father took me to see the Red Sox play the Tigers at Fenway Park. Before the game, I tried to get autographs from players but a group of bigger kids blocked me from getting access. Sparky was giving a TV interview at the time. He saw me struggling to get his attention over the other kids and signaled the TV interviewer who then brought me a baseball. Made my day, sealed my interest in baseball and earned a place in my heart.

Thanks, Sparky. You'll be missed. RIP

Posted by: -Niv- | November 4, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Sparky has gone to join the Old Left-Hander, rounding third and heading for home.

Posted by: DeclanMcman | November 4, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DeclanMcman | November 4, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

-----

+100

All of Reds Country should mourn his passing. Five National League West titles (1970-72-73-75-76), league pennants in four of those years, and two of the greatest World Series teams in baseball history.

The Heaven League just got "Captain Hook" in one dugout.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 4, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

He was a constant presence in our Tiger-obsessed home outside Detroit. My Dad spoke of him as though he were a close friend. RIP, Condolences to the family

Posted by: ElinorMiller | November 4, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse