Posted at 11:12 PM ET, 01/ 9/2011

Dick Winters dies; WWII hero commanded 'Band of Brothers'

By T. Rees Shapiro

The full obituary for Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters can be viewed here.

Dick Winters, a decorated Army officer whose World War II service was recounted in the best-selling book and HBO mini-series "Band of Brothers," died Jan. 2. News reports listed his age at 92.

Based on the 1992 book by historian Stephen E. Ambrose, the HBO mini-series came out in 2001 and was produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.

The story follows the tragedies and triumphs of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion, E Company.

To Mr. Winters, these citizen-soldiers came to be known as the men of Easy Company -- paratroopers who jumped into combat on June 6, 1944 above Normandy, France.

One of the soldiers who served in Easy Company, David Webster, once wrote that among his colleagues the Purple Heart "was not a decoration but a badge of office."

Mr. Winters, who separated from the Army at the rank of major, and his men fought together through D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge and later occupied Adolf Hitler's mountainside retreat, the Eagle's Nest, near Berchtesgaden.

A charismatic officer who led by example, Mr. Winters received the Distinguished Service Cross, the country's second highest decoration for valor, while conducting combat operations on D-Day.

Mr. Winters led a small group of men on a raid of German cannon emplacements near Utah beach on Normandy's coastline.

While taking out the heavily fortified bunker, Mr. Winters and his men killed 15 German soldiers and took 12 more as prisoners, helping to save countless American lives from the withering cannon fire.

Later in the war, one of Mr. Winters's soldiers, Floyd Talbert, wrote a letter to the officer from a hospital in Indiana expressing gratitude for his loyalty and leadership.

"You are loved and will never be forgotten by any soldier that ever served under you," Talbert wrote to Mr. Winters in 1945. "I would follow you into hell."

For Mr. Winters, his soldiers were his Band of Brothers and their experiences together in the war "created a bond between the men of E company that will last forever."

If you have any memories about Mr. Winters please feel free to leave your comments below. A full obituary is on the way.

In the meantime, check out this clip from HBO's "Band of Brothers," where Mr. Winters describes a letter he received from Myron "Mike" Ranney.

This post has been updated.

By T. Rees Shapiro  | January 9, 2011; 11:12 PM ET
Categories:  T. Rees Shapiro  | Tags:  Band of Brothers, Dick Winters, Maj. Richard Winters, World War II
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jewish folk singer Debbie Friedman dies
Next: David Nelson of 'Ozzie and Harriet' dies

Comments

When I heard the news of his passing, I couldn't help but tear up. Winters is a special man, but there are so many of them like him in his generation. Winters just represents them all in a small way, and every day we lose more and more of them. I admire him and his comrades tremendously, and the world is really losing some heroic and precious lives in the loss of Winters and his brothers.

Posted by: tuskington | January 10, 2011 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I count it as one of the small blessings in my life that I was able to visit Brecourt Manor, where Major Winters led an action on D-Day and should have been awarded the Medal of Honor. We owe so much to Major Winters and the others of his generation, we could never pay them back for what they did for us, our country, and for Western Civilization in general.

Rest in Peace Major Winters, you will always remain a hero to me, and never, ever be forgotten.

Posted by: JohnMaryland | January 10, 2011 1:20 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate the obituary, but must question your word choice.

Easy company never took any German soldiers "hostage." They took them as prisoners. They weren't held conditionally or for a ransom, they were held as prisoners of war and treated as such.

It's disturbing to see the word "hostage" associated with one of this country's most noble warriors.

We lose heroes like Major Winters every day. I hope the comradeship of his fellow E company soldiers is part of his eternal reward.

Posted by: JohnPearleyHuffman | January 10, 2011 1:48 AM | Report abuse

I cried like a baby when Major Winters claimed he wasn't a hero as part of an interview in "Band of Brothers." If he isn't a hero, there are no heroes. RIP, Major Winters.

Posted by: sotteson | January 10, 2011 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Courage, valor and bravery fly at half mast w/ his passing. God speed sir.

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | January 10, 2011 5:41 AM | Report abuse

salute the heros of our country,past,pesent and future. these are real americans not the whining cowards that criticize everything or everybody that does not give them what THEY demand

Posted by: pofinpa | January 10, 2011 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Major. God Bless you and your generation. Thanks.

Posted by: bromo999 | January 10, 2011 6:18 AM | Report abuse

It was the men and women of his generation , that allowed jerks on the internet say anything they pleased...

Posted by: gmarkross3 | January 10, 2011 6:41 AM | Report abuse

A very great man has passed. Maj Winters not only was the epitome of leadership and bravery, he also represented all of those incredible men and women who fought so courageously during one of the most challenging times in our history.

On a personal note, it is because of Maj Winters and the stories from Band of Brothers that my sons wear the Army uniform with extraordinary pride. They want to emulate Maj Winters as a leader and his brilliance as a commander.

It is because of the example set by Maj Winters that they are now professional soldiers ready to answer the call of our nation with dedication, honor and integrity.

Rest in Peace, sir. You will forever be remembered.

Posted by: acesm | January 10, 2011 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Airborne. Heavenborne.

God bless; and rest in peace.

Posted by: 82ndairborne | January 10, 2011 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace Major Winters. We, as a nation, have lost a hero, a leader, and a gentleman.

David McGee
Virginia

Posted by: dhmcgee | January 10, 2011 7:21 AM | Report abuse

God truly blessed America that we had men like Dick Winters fighting for us.

Rest in peace and many thanks for your dedicated life.

I recommend reading Mr. Winter's autobiography. Awesome book.

Posted by: dprpl | January 10, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

I am attached to Task Force Currahee in eastern Afghanistan. Dick and Easy CO cast a long shadow in the 101st ABN to this day. MAJ Winters, we salute you.

Posted by: USSoldier | January 10, 2011 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, sir, for serving. You have left an example of honor, selflessness, and sacrifice we can only hope to emulate. You are a true hero.

Posted by: mooncusser | January 10, 2011 7:54 AM | Report abuse

major winters is a TRUE hero,not a word used too frequently by the press.he was a hero who did his job day in and day out for over a year.his metal will be sorely missed.

Posted by: tedybudyyahoocom | January 10, 2011 8:08 AM | Report abuse

This morning at 11am when the President walks out for his photo op, I won't be thinking of those shot in Tuscon. Tragic as it may be, sensless killings happen every day here in real America. (albeit not to one of the "Club" members) I will salute my flag, pray, and give thanks for Maj. Richard D. Winters US Army Ret. Commander Co E, 2nd Bat, 506th Reg, 101st Airborne. Currahee Major, Currahee indeed!

Posted by: MTalleyMon | January 10, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

There is no doubt, no question, that Maj. Winters is a genuine American hero.
Thank you for your service, sir. You have the gratitude of a nation and have earned your rest.
RIP, Major, and thank you.

Posted by: dbitt | January 10, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

He left a legacy for us all. My oldest child, troubled and confused found clarity of purpose while reading Beyond Band of Brothers. Now I know why my late father wept when President Eisenhower was buried. While he loved them, he was taught, through example of the military leadership of the time to give credit where credit was due: to the soldier. Thanks to the efforts of the late Stephen Ambrose, the current Spielberg and Hanks, we ALL understand much better the times that shaped our lives today. I was raised with Patton and Bradley and Eisenhower being heros...my folks stood on the cliffs at Normandy and wept, arm and arm with another couple - a German couple they'd met in the 1980's. They were all kids during the war...my folks in Washington DC collecting rubber and scrap; Willie and Agnes...somewhere in Germany - one in the volkstern and the other starving. To end up being friends some 50 years after the war together on that Hallowed Ground in Normandy...I thought it was touching without having the depth of feeling they had. Band of Brothers changed that for me for ever.

Dick Winters and his 101st-mates, rank regardless, by agreeing to share started a trend that permitted all the stories of the war to come out accurately and with those who participated in intimate, small screen formats. This generation - home and war fronts became accessible to us all in a straight-forward and no bs manner that actually appealed to the 30, 40 and so forth age groups....started conversations in families about their own experiences...this is more than profit or marketing. Something really good came out of this!

Winters didn't muck things up. He gave it to people straight. He seems to me to have been extraordinary because of his uncluttered clarity of thought and pragmatic normalcy. He could also parle like the best of them with production execs...:) You could not help but want to meet him. Poor guy. Got more than he bargained for(or was comphy with) but, what a legacy. To the Winters family: thank you for sharing him with us all.

Posted by: StephanieinGettysburg | January 10, 2011 8:55 AM | Report abuse

OH wow, OK Rest in Peace dude, RIP!

www.anon-tools.it.tc

Posted by: clermontpc | January 10, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I lost my Dad, also a WWII Vet, last year. He was 83. It is just an awful reality - those lucky enough to escape being a war casualty, lucky enough to live a long, long life after that, outliving most of their peers, are now falling one by one.

Actuarial inevitability. Great deeds well remembered and exemplary lives lived lovingly recalled by younger friends and family are now what is left of Captain Ford and Major Winters.

A sidestory. But an American one steeped in honor.

As flags today dip not for Winters honor, but an act in Arizona where we honor victimhood, I share TMalleyMon 8:34 AM's opinions.

(And my Dad never did combat, he was one of those scientist guys that worked Radar..justly spoken of now as the weapon that (not the A-Bomb) , won the war. But he went in harms way - surviving a bomber crash in Colorado where he was testing night flying in mountainous terrain using experimental radar. )

Posted by: ChrisFord1 | January 10, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

A great man. I was going to say that they just don't make them like this anymore, but they do. Men and women like Major Winters are serving now in Afghanistan and Iraq. Godspeed to them all.

As an aside, where does your head have to be for you to even think the words "they killed 15 German soldiers and took 12 more hostage?" Hostage. Telling, very telling. Good that you fixed it. You should try to get out of the WP newsroom every once in a while--maybe you wouldn't do things like that.

Posted by: jlscott64 | January 10, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey Ike, there's a Major Winters here to see you.

Posted by: branedy | January 10, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Tom Brokaw got it right. Major Winters and his comrades were The Greatest Generation. I feel a personal loss.

RIP.

Posted by: Lazarus40 | January 10, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

A true leader in every sense of the word. RIP.

Posted by: vagator | January 10, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I served on the staff of Major Winters' battalion commander, Colonel Robert Sink who was featured in the "Band of Brothers." He was a Lieutenant General then, a big man in more ways than one.

RIP.

Posted by: Lazarus40 | January 10, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I regret that I never had the opportunity to personally meet Maj. Winters and thank him for his service to our country. The example that Maj. Winters set for the soldiers under his command in the Second World War continues to this day as a model for true combat leaders to emulate. My youngest son, an Army captain in his second deployment to Iraq, has often told me that Maj. Winters and others like him have greatly influenced many young officers of his generation.
Sadly, Maj. Winters has left us. However, his legacy of courage and leadership remains with us.
Thank you, Maj. Winters.

Posted by: jjrlong | January 10, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

In honor of Dick Winters, let's turn #AmericanHero tweets into a tribute to this inspiring man and his amazing generation. If you're on Twitter, tweet something to honor Major Winters with the #AmericanHero hashtag. Would be awesome to see this hashtag trend today, in memorial to a great individual.

Posted by: nebarron | January 10, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Major Winters was a true American hero, I glad his story was told. Old soldiers never die...they just fade away. Curahee!!!

Posted by: Kcrl1 | January 10, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Major Winters was wrong when he told his grandson that he "only" served with heroes. He was a hero leading other heroes.

It seems to me that the real heroes in this word are the people who constantly exhibit bravery and sacrifice, all the while leading others by their example, Yet they insist that they themselves are not anything special. Major Winters was a hero in every way that it can be defined.

This country has once again lost something precious. There will be no great national ceremony marking his passing. But I suspect that this is exactly how this modest gentleman would have wanted it.

Posted by: MillPond2 | January 10, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

It has been said before, but let me say it again. This country needs to focus on the things that unite us and should scorn those who seek to divide, and thus weaken, us. One thing that unites us is our profound respect for the generation of vets now dying off. Can we form some national effort of personal recognition? Can we, this Memorial Day, assemble in a place (soldiers home or city hall) in each community to shake the hand and say thank you to these men from diverse backgrounds and beliefs who worked together to free the world? Can we remind ourselves that country trumps mere ideology every time?

Posted by: djah | January 10, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your service Major Winters. RIP. You will never be forgotten.

Posted by: mjwies11 | January 10, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I am a little surprised to be crying but i am. I think it's bravery and leadership mixed with humility that is so touching when you think of Dick Winters. He wasn't yelling and screaming but calm and smart. He even got that blind guy to start shooting again instead of cowering and saved his sense of dignity. Seeing the humanity in others and yet doing his duty during wartime....beautiful and sad all at once. Bless him and his family and everyone else.

I hope he knows what he gave to others.

Posted by: taomka1 | January 10, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P., Major. Bravo Zulu.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 10, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P., Major. Bravo Zulu.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 10, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Dick Winters was a true American hero and the type of American our children need to be studying in classrooms all across America!

Posted by: junkinsmp | January 10, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Currahee!!

My grandfather, who was in the 101st, 506 PIR (five oh sink), 3rd battalion, H company, served with Major Winters (E) and gave (and still gives) him the highest praise. Sadly their are not many left from that generation. Thankfully my grandfather is still with us. We all owe those soldiers (and all soldiers) a huge debt of gratitude that can never be repayed.

Rest in Peace major, you have earned it!!

Posted by: torrey151 | January 10, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I have never served in uniform, but have long honored those who have, and do. Maj. Winters was, like so many of our veterans, one of those special people who did not see themselves as extraordinary, but as ordinary men thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Reading about him in "Band of Brothers" and in his own war memoirs, you understand how true leaders lead: by example, with an understanding of the consequences, but with a conviction to do their best. If they fail, they learn from their mistakes and move on, and if they succeed, they do not gloat or seek recognition, but work to constantly be better. Like Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in the Civil War, he did not seek glory, but only sought to do his best and lead his men as he would want to be led. He eschewed the term "hero," but he was one. God Bless him and his family, and his brothers in arms, past, present, and future. Robert Kinney, Doylestown, PA

Posted by: rkinneypa | January 10, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Army regulations do not allow units or installations to name buildings, streets, etc. for living persons.

Hopefully, Fort Campbell will finally be able to name a fitting landmark for this distinguished Screaming Eagle.

Posted by: NVaSkeptic | January 10, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

On behalf of my parents and their generation, my generation born after the war and my children:

Thank you Dick Winters.

Europe is grateful to this day, in case you wonder.

THenssen

Posted by: thenssen | January 10, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Currahee!

Posted by: Howard17 | January 10, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I can't think of a higher compliment to Major Winters than my first reaction when I read Band of Brothers, that if my son, then a young man, were ever to go to battle, I would want him to be lead by someone just like Winters. As long as our country keeps producing men with his qualities of courage, intelligence, humility, compassion, we'll be just fine. I'm thankful that he got to see how much he inspired others.

Posted by: Sam1247 | January 10, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Washington Post,

Your article doesn't mention his rank, and you don't refer to him as Major Winters. You should at least respect this officer enough to refer to his title: he earned it and then some. Major Winters is a real American hero, and the fact that he didn't see himself as one just proves it, IMHO.

Posted by: NW_Washington | January 10, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"According to Ambrose's account, Easy Company suffered 150 percent casualties throughout the war."

Would you care to reconsider that statement?

Posted by: raejeanowl | January 10, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

While I never met Major Winters, my father also served in World War II, as a foot soldier. I have often praised my father as my hero, privately and publicly, for he epitomizes the goodness of the greatest generation. My father has rarely shared the trials and tribulations of the war, he has worked hard his whole life to take care of those around him. I see Major Winters in my father, he is my hero. Thank you, thank your whole generation.

Posted by: joelhar1 | January 10, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your service sir and RIP. And to my Dad and my uncles,thank you for your WWII service. My relatives fought in both theatres and all returned home to PA - though with both physical and emotional batle scars. My Dad and my uncles, save one, are all long gone now. But their memory, like Mr. Winters, won't be forgotten.

Posted by: steven7753 | January 10, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to wxpress my agreement with the sentiments expressed here. Major Winters and those who served along side him were in large part what made this country great. I weep a little as everyday now another member of the greatest generation takes thier long deserved rest. One of my biggest regrets though is that my daughters at the age of 5 & 7 will never be old enought to meet one of these people and hear from thier own mouths (more importantly comprehend) what it is that they did for all of us all those years ago. I consider myself blessed to have met and talked with in depth a number of these hero's, I advise any of you that are lucky enough to have the honor of interacting with one of them on a regular basis to somehow record what they have to say about those events so that later generations will be able to learn from the wisdom earned through blood sweat and tears. God Bless Major Winters, rest in peace Sir.

Posted by: benb141 | January 10, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

We salute Major Winters and the life he lived not only for what he did for our sake but for providing future generations of boys and girls a shining role model for a life lived true with bravery, courage, honor and loyalty in the most dire of times.
Boys for generations to come shall look up in awe at the deeds, the bravery and the humility of MEN such as Major Richard Winters and those he led. They embody the very best of what humanity is capable of! What does this make them, if not HEROS?

RIP Major Winters, you are ever immortal in our hearts!

Posted by: IAF101 | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

i wrote to mr. winters a few years ago to tell him thank you for his sacrifice and how much i admired him...and to my surprise,he wrote back....and sent a photo of him as a young soldier with the words "hang tough" under his picture.it hangs in my kitchen,and many a day,when things are hard and i'm having a challenging day i look at his photo and read his words and plow on..."hanging tough".....thank you,mr. winters for doing what you saw as your "duty".....the world will miss you....and i will continue,to,when the going gets rough,to "hang tough"......

Posted by: bridgeth52 | January 10, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This was a real hero. RIP, Maj. Winters.

Posted by: Observer691 | January 10, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

We also walked the grounds of Brecourt Manor recently and met the grandson, and current owner, of the owner who was in the Manor house when Dick Winters and his band of brothers captured the German artillery that was firing on our men landing on Utah Beach three miles away. We walked the tree line and stopped at each gun emplacement, walked in the open field and along the hedgerows and ditches through which Winters and his men attacked, and saw the tree in which Careood Lipton precariously perched for a better firing angle. The power of the moment was tangible and humbling. At Brecourt Manor is does not take a large leap of historical imagination to see Dick Winters and his brothers moving gun-to-gun and destroying each one in detail, saving lives on Utah Beach, and ensuring the success of the landings by their heroic action. Encapsulated at Brecourt Manor is Stephen Ambrose's message that it was the citizen soldiers of an aroused democracy, Dick Winters and his brothers, who defeated the sons of a totalitarian dictatorship whose leader proclaimed them to be the master race. All honor to Dick Winters, his band of brothers, and to all the men and women citizen soldiers who gladly walk in their footsteps today in harm's way.

Posted by: aaronbfulleriii | January 10, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye and thank you, Mr. Winters. I'm sad to realize that we'll not see the likes of you or your generation pass this way again.

Goodbye and thank you.

Posted by: tanakak | January 10, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Along with many others I cried when I heard of Mr. Winters passing today. I teach a class on the Civil War and WWII in Chapel Hill NC. In 2007, my students ( Four of which were going on to study at West Point, Annapolis, and The Airforce Academy) were so moved by the story of Easy Company and of the leadership demonstrated by Mr. Winters, many wanted to to find a way to Thank him. Nearly all students chose him as the individual who had to most impact on them personally throughout the year. So I took a chance and sent him a letter in a school envolope telling him of the appreciation my students felt and that the lessons he teaught during the war to his men were still being used in a modern classroom. A month later on July 7th, in a move demonstrating a high level of class, I was honored with a phone call from Mr. Winters biographer Col. Cole Kingseed and Mr. Winters from West Point thanking me for sendng the letter. It still gives me chills to this day knowing an individual like Mr. Winters took the time to a call a history teacher to thank him. We lost a True American Hero, someone who stood out amoung the many individulals of that great and tough generation, and more importantly we lost a great human being. We will miss him here on earth, but I take solace in knowing that heaven is all the richer now that he has joined his comrades.

B. Melega
2010 National VFW Teacher of the Year

Posted by: bmelega | January 10, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Rest in peace Major Winters.

Posted by: AndresGarcia | January 10, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Maj. Winters ever realized the impact he had on all of us who watched "Band of Brothers". He certainly had an impact for the boys who served under him. The best part of the series for me was the interviews with Maj. Winters and the other soldiers depicted in the series. He will be missed.

Posted by: carusocm | January 10, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

***

Would you care to reconsider that statement?
***

Why would he? It's true. Casualties are counted against the total maximum strength of the company, and it counts the number of people rendered ineffective for combat (via death or injury or whatever). So if Easy Company started with 100 people (for example) at the outset of the war, and at any point in the war, 150 of the men (originals or replacements) were rendered hors de combat, then the casualty rate is 150%.

In other words: Care to comprehend that statement?

Posted by: charlesbakerharris | January 10, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

150% casualties refers to replacements and their replacements that were killed/wounded, I believe.

Posted by: 141stvb | January 10, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I(grown man) teared up too when I heard the news. Spike needs to run a Band of Brother's marathon in tribute. I would watch it non-stop. Favorite episode: "Why we fight" Favorite Character: Dick Winters

Posted by: Dice211 | January 10, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

RIP Major Winters.

At a time when our nation needs men like these more than ever, we are losing the Greatest Generation ever more rapidly.

Posted by: ThisIsJohnGaltSpeaking | January 10, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Many years ago i asked a combat veteran of WW11 to speak to my sons 8th grade history class (The entire grade and all instructors showed up). After his discussion and answer /question period i asked him what would have happened had we not won that war? He got very quiet and looked around at all the children and simply said "None of you would have been born". THATS how important his, Mr Winters and others service was to our country. Please never forget.

Posted by: wxyz6200 | January 10, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

All of us who ever commanded a company, battery, or troop in combat know that it is a massive responsibility and a humbling honor. The dignity and courage of those soldiers makes one proud to be called, "The Old Man." MAJ Winters explified the very best of what all of us tried to be. God Bless him, please.

Posted by: OldWarHorse | January 10, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I received this post via e-mail from one of my service buddies. I also shed some tears when reading the article and watching the video. There is a saying that has been said by some of the great heroes "Lest We Forget". Major Dick Winters is certainly a hero, at a time when Americans did what they thought they had to do, and never considered that they were a hero, but were just doing their jobs.

I honor and pray for Major Winters, and all those who have served, and currently serving, and especially for those who gave their lives, so that AMERICANS can live a life of FREEDOM. Rest in Peace Major.

Posted by: dickster63 | January 10, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

God bless you Mr. Winters and all who served and are serving this great nation. We can never repay the debt to these men and women of that generation. This is truly the greatest generation in American history.

Posted by: rtharris1 | January 10, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Major Winters was an inspiration. I wish I had served under a man like Major Winters. Maybe i would have done 20 instead of gladly getting out after 3 (US Navy 1972-1975), if I served under such a man.

He will be missed. A man of great character, and a hero if there was one.

Posted by: Nick5 | January 10, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The words are not commensurate to your service but...Thank you, sir, for your life, your service, and your example.

Posted by: Doug8910 | January 10, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Maj. Winters is a shinning example of a generation, hardened by the great depression, who cherished the freedoms and liberties assured by the US constitution. They understood the struggle to survive. At the same time, they bore their burdens without complaint and with pride. None of that generation will ask for help, but it seems like most of them are the first in line to help.

I watched the HBO series, read the book and even though I know authors will exagerate to enhance a story line - E Company was by all accounts everything they were portrayed to be.

We, as a nation, are loosing a resource we as children undervalued way, way too much. the boomers didn't trust anybody over 30 - when it was those over 30 who were there to guide us, show us how to be adults, responsible and useful.

I regret that - something awful.

Thank you to Stephen Ambrose, Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg for bringing their story to us - to at least - finally - appreciate all they did.

Posted by: jimmyc1955 | January 10, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am truly saddened by the news. Thank Major Winters for not only serving our country, but for sharing your story and giving inspiration to many Americans on what it means to love, honor and serve.

Posted by: noembrown | January 10, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

With the loss of this great man it's another reminder of how this nation has lost it's direction when many, especially the young, worship reality tv, loud mouth pundits, crooked and self-serving politicians, celebrity and greedy athletes. Tom Brokow had it right about the Greatest Generation and nobody exemplified it more than Dick Winters. "The Band of Brothers" gave Mr. Winters a face but I'm sure he would have been the first to say that his face and story was the same and represented the many who saved the world from tyranny, including my father who would have been 102 yesterday. I wish those who tune in "Jersey Shore" or "Keeping Up With the (trashy) Khardasians" will pause and relect on the real heroes of our culture exemplified by Dick Winters. RIP, American Hero

Posted by: gmanjim | January 10, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

You will be missed Mr.Hero Sir. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 10, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU SIR! Not only for your service to our country during time of war, but for leading your men once again 50+ years later in bringing the story to several generations. You have taught us all, once again, the humanity involved in the terror of war. God bless everyone of you that served or touched such horrid events. May you all rest peacefully forever in God's arms.

Posted by: scott553 | January 10, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Well done Major Winters, well done. I cannot tell you how much of an impression your exploits while serving our country in WW II had on me. Your selflessness, leadership, dedication, and honor are the hallmarks of a great leader of men. I am deeply saddened by your passing.

My sincere condolences to your family.

Posted by: tluecke77 | January 10, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dear Major Winters,

No Soldier or paratrooper will ever forget the example you made for your men; and the incredible sacrifice you made, with a steady hand, for all of us.

Sua Sponte' (of their own accord),

pararanger22

Posted by: pararanger22 | January 10, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

raejean - 150% casualties means that the original unit personnel, every one of them was wounded or killed, and eventually the entire unit was manned with replacements at a number above their original strength. The statement needs no reconsideration, just clarification.

Posted by: oldcorps76 | January 10, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed Major Winters and CURRAHEE! A true American hero.

Posted by: wagb83 | January 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace Major Winters. My father Sgt. Robert Gehrett had the honor of serving with you in Bastogne. He said you were one of the best. We owe your generation a great sense of gratitude for serving your country and defending our freedom. True heros! I had the privilege of traveling with my father to Normandy on June 6, 2010 - his first time to return since WWII. We were at several monuments and museums honoring the 101st Airborne. Being there was truly an honor. We were at Utah Beach, Omaha Beach, Brecourt Manor, Bastogne - an emotional journey for both of us. We hope to attend the memorial service here in Pennsylvania to pay our respects to this wonderful man. God Bless you and your family.

Posted by: brye1 | January 10, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that Maj. Winters lived such a long life in peace after the war. He book is inspiring; even more so than the one by Steven Ambrose. I've read the all books by Easy Company men and each one is grateful for the leadership shown by Major Winters. At the end of his book, he listed ten principles for success. I typed them out and posted them in my office cubical (they've been up there for several years now). He truly was an America hero. It would be great if he were to receive the MOH for his service; particularly for the Brécourt Manor Assault.He lead from the front and never, ever, gave up!

May God bring comfort to his family.

Posted by: Springfield5 | January 10, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The freedoms we have today are a result of men and women who have served our great country by giving of themselves without regard for their lives. Each and every service person knowingly offers the greatest sacrifice to ensure we remain the greatest free democracy in the world. Major Winters and millions of other service persons and their families deserve our respect and admiration for their contribution to freedom. It really doesn't matter what their job was, in the military, as each person was either supported or they supported someone else to complete the mission. Each and everyone was important and the hardships they endured have made a difference.

I don't believe there are any veterans of the Great War left and our WWII veterans are leaving us rather quickly. Wars are terrible things and as a veteran myself I'm gratefull that my sons grew up during a time of relative peace.

Our children and their children need to know our military's history, we just can't forget what they've done and how it has impacted our freedoms.

I'm proud to be an American, proud to have served this great country, proud to have known hero's like Major Winters and others, proud to sing our national anthem, proud to salute our flag any chance I get and to thank God for being there every step of the way.

Posted by: davidwarrilow | January 10, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

With each setting sun, we will remember them.

Leslie

Posted by: lr1123 | January 10, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

RIP Major Winters. I had a good cry today due to your passing and am so sad to hear you've been taken from us. I have always admired you and your command greatly. My late father served in the South Pacific during WWII in the US Navy. He saw a lot of naval combat and, similar to you, was a very reluctant and humble hero.

May the Lord give strength to your family and may you find eternal peace and health in the great beyond. Please give my best to Lt Meehan, Joe Toye, Muck and Pencalla, Hoobler, Nixon and all the rest of our heroes. Thank you so very much for your service.

For the poster who questioned the 150% casualty rate, that number includes replacement troops as well as the original members. It is an accurate but truly eye-opening number.

Posted by: rogerherd | January 10, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Maj. Dick Winters wrote on leadership:

"If you can, find that peace within yourself, that peace and quiet and confidence that you can pass on to others,so that they know you are honest ,and you are fair and will help them,no matter what, when the chips are down."

I wish our leaders of today could read and observe this .

Maj. Winters, thank you for your dedication and service.

Posted by: travisg2 | January 10, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hang Tough America!

There still are many heros among us, in and out of uniform, providing patriotic service to the citizens of the United States of America.

Posted by: stevenblarkin | January 10, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The city of Eindhoven in the Netherlands is in mourning for the hero who led his company into the city on September 18th, 1944 and liberated it from Nazi occupation.

I was born in 1975, well after the war, but the period has always interested me. Not after Band of Brothers did the liberation of my hometown get a real symbol for many of the post-war population. Mr. Winters was made a honorary citizen of Eindhoven in 2007. He will be missed and remembered always. Rest in peace...

Posted by: Martin-Eindhoven-Netherlands | January 10, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

RIP Major Winters. I learned more about my father from you and Band of Brothers than I did from living with him for 20 years. I only wish he had lived long enough for me to talk to him about this. Tom Hanks said that there are 2 types of WWII veterans - one that will talk about it and one that won't. My father never said a word. He was older on Pearl Harbor day and because of this he was tasked to set up the field hospitals. That means that he knew where the war was headed before the soldiers did. I shudder to think about what he must have seen. During the Vietnam war he was furious when my brother became a draft dodger. I thought he was just an old and out of touch man. Of course men of his generation did not understand what on earth their children were so angry about - why they were rebelling - why there took to the streets in protest. I wish we could talk about it.

Thanks for those who explained the 150% casualty rate - I couldn't understand that at all.

Posted by: jennyjenn | January 10, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Tragic as it may be, sensless killings happen every day here in real America.

Posted by: MTalleyMon

-------------------------------------------

In "real AMerica", do you mean uneducated-redneck-land?

Posted by: kenk33 | January 10, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

CURAHEE! Major Winters you inspire me to be a better man everyday! Your service and sacrafice, along with every soldier, is beyond appreciated. You are were way too humble, and I wish I could replicate that quality. Rest in Peace Major Winters...

Posted by: RossdaBoss | January 10, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

A true hero. One of the greatest of the greatest generation. RIP.

Posted by: rhc52 | January 10, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

And another GOOD man passes.

Posted by: Freethotlib | January 10, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

On behalf of the Dutch people I am saddened to hear of Major Winters death. Also in The Netherlands he is considered a true hero. The city of Eindhoven gave him the honourable citizenship. In The Band of Brothers episodes Replacements and Crossroads the story is told what Dick Winters and his Easy Company had to endure in occupied Holland. I made two You Tube movieclips (called: Dick Winters Crossroads 65 years later, and: Dick Winters Schoonderlogt 65 years later) to show the places where Dick Winters and his men risked their life for our country. May he rest in peace. He deserves it.

Posted by: pdonkersloot | January 10, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Major Dick Winters thank you for what you have done for us here in holland!
from the Netherlands, Nijmegen.

Curahee

Posted by: mkuster8 | January 10, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

What a truly wonderful man--courageous, brave, leader of men in combat and yet so humble in the face of it all. A special thanks to Mr. Ambrose for first writing Band of Brothers, to Mr. Hanks for bring it to the screen, but especially to Dick Winters and his fellow veterans who were willing to share their experiences in both print and live interviews.

Posted by: SamGordy | January 10, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

It's truly a sad day for many. For Major Winters it must be a happy day, a blessed day to be reunited with the men under his command in the gates of Heaven. If you see my father and uncle (Labrador,Battle of the Bulge) give them our best...I miss them.

"May the Lord bless thee and keep thee;"
"May the Lord be gracious and merciful unto thee;"
"May the Lord lift up His countenance upon thee;"
"And give thee peace."

Amen

Posted by: bigisle | January 10, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

He was a hero, plain and simple, and his sacrifices and those he fought with will be remembered for all time.

Posted by: tvannoy13 | January 10, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I did not know him (I wish I did)

From what I have read about the man and seen in the mini-series... he was an incredibly decent man who did his duty to the best of his ability.

He was a true leader, something in short supply today... Moreover... he was a great soldier.

Thank you Major Winters for your service to this country and for your humanity that was not lost in the fog of war.

Posted by: dwdave67 | January 10, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Why is he Mr. Winters, and not Major Winters in this writeup? If we're going to honor the man, let's call him by his proper title.

Posted by: doc410 | January 10, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

A true American hero who never sought fame or fortune only a quiet life in peace.

RIP Major Winters

Posted by: paul_ferretti | January 10, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

For my father and for you sir--thank you

Posted by: jonathanhirsch | January 10, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I can not write this nor think of Major Winters, his examples for living and leadership without tearing up.
God blessed us with him and others such as he whom he led in battle and in life of service for others.
I thank him and his generation for all they did and soon will pray for him, cry and then find the time to reread all the books and watch Band of Brothers again and again....
Never forget.

Posted by: bldpitt | January 10, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Our country's Greatest Generation is sadly passing away. But to the living who appreciate the freedoms we enjoy, his courage, honor, and sacrifice will never be forgotten. Nor the courage, honor, and sacrifice of the millions like him from many countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia, Australia and Oceana who fought a global war against a great evil. My mother's younger brother, using the birth certificate of her older brother who died in childhood, enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1944 at the age of 14. The family never understood how he could have fooled the recruiters, but times were desperate then, and the Army needed recruits. As a tank crewman in Patton's 3rd Army he was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge. Myself having served 25 years in the Navy, I still marvel at the courage of a boy of 14 who wanted, and did, fight for his country. Uncle Johnny rests in the National Cemetary at Quantico, Virginia. Let us never forget Major Winters. Let us never forget the Uncle Johnnys. God Bless them.

Posted by: j-quail | January 10, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

To those non servers too dense to understand how a unit can have 150 percent casualties during its service,,perhaps 250 casualties during its time of service with a strength of perhaps 150,replacements are constantly fed in during that time.As a former replacement it cant be that diffucult.

Posted by: schmidt1 | January 10, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

God bless Major Winters, look over his family, and protect our fellow citizens in uniform who stand in harm's way.

Posted by: staticlinejumper | January 10, 2011 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Major Winters. For your sacrifice, for your service and for sharing your story with us. You will never be forgotten. Currahee.

Posted by: jbusha | January 10, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

He did his job, and did not ask the people under his command to do anything he was not willing to do. They don't come any better than that.

Posted by: JPS54 | January 10, 2011 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I had the privilege of meeting Major Winters in August 2002, at a 506th Memorial Jump. As the son of a WWII rifle company Lt (47th Inf., 9th Div.), I was assigned to attend the WWII vets (Forrest and Harriet Guth, Dick and Ethel Winters), and got to send hours with them.

Whew! To be with Major Winters was to be challenged. Even on the most casual acquaintance, he demanded the best of you. Charismatic? Check.

He was the consummate leader, and deserves every iota of appreciation he receives.

My respects, Doug Jordan

Posted by: appell81 | January 10, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Unquestionably a real hero and example of integrity, courage and real leadership qualities.
Thank you for your service and your example to us all. Godspeed!

Posted by: dogfighter | January 10, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Major Winters was a true American hero, moreover, a truly fine human being--something in short supply these day. His story and that of the men of Easy company was profoundly moving. You know someone is special when you haven't ever met them, yet you are moved to tears when hearing them recall their life story and weep when they have left this world. God Bless and God Speed Major Winters. My condolences to your family and the remaining members of Easy Company.

Posted by: annagee | January 10, 2011 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Sir.

Posted by: chuckterzella1 | January 10, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I am saddened by this news of Major Winters passing. I admired his leadership and fight that he displayed with his soldiers that served under him. It says alot when the men would do anything for this great man! Generations now and in the future need to pay attention and learn from their fight and Band of Brothers! You will be missed Major Winters! My Salute to you!

Posted by: macmill91 | January 10, 2011 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Major Winters for your service and sacrifice. The work of you and your men and so many others like you will always be a part of the identity of America. I am humbled and blessed to have been a part of a generation that was able to know some of you and am inspired by you all.

Posted by: sjm229 | January 10, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Winters and family
I wish to thank you for all that you have done for our nation. As a retired vet who had the duty of fighting in a war, I understand how a unit can become closer than family.
Those who brought the series "band of brothers" did so with dignity and humbleness to you, your unit, and your generation. I live in a country who should bow to the character of your generation.
I truly grieve for your leaving us, but know with the strength of my conviction, that Heaven has added another to it's numbers.
Thank you sir. Thank you Major for us and all our generations that follow you. May we learn the lessons you left. And may G-d grant us all peace.
You truly turned your sword into a plowshear.

Posted by: tzayad67 | January 10, 2011 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Dear Major Winters,
Although this letter was not given to you prior to your passing, i still wanted to express my deepest gratitude and genuine fervor for the sacrifice you and your men suffered during WWII. I am allowed the personal freedoms I enjoy today because of the valiant and brave soldiers you lead into battle. I have known 2 other WWII veterans who I have had the pleasure of knowing and enjoying their company and the bravery and courage you have all show to us is amazing. I watched the Band of Brothers Mini-series with utter fascination as to the way in which this war has been fought and won. I salute you and men just like you and wish you god speed in all of your endeavors after parting this earth.
Hoo-rah Major Winters!

Posted by: Giancola1 | January 10, 2011 11:51 PM | Report abuse

RIP

Posted by: keirreva | January 11, 2011 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Maj. Winters
Thank you for your service.Rest in peace.

Present Arms-------------------Ready two.

Posted by: danb6 | January 11, 2011 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Dear Major Winters,
Although this letter was not given to you prior to your passing, I still wanted to express my deepest gratitude and genuine fervor for the sacrifice you and your men suffered during WWII. I am allowed the personal freedoms I enjoy today because of the valiant and brave soldiers you lead into battle. I have known 2 other WWII veterans who I have had the pleasure of knowing and enjoying their company and the bravery and courage you have all shown to us is amazing. I watched the Band of Brothers Mini-series with utter fascination as to the way in which this war has been fought and won. I salute you and men just like you and wish you god speed in all of your endeavors after parting this earth.
Hoo-rah Major Winters!

Posted by: Giancola1 | January 11, 2011 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes a man who loved his country, knew his duty and lead by example.

There is a new documentary out made by the men of Easy Company about the Battle of Breacourt Manor. It is free for schools and it has him in there. Just saw it at Seattle Museum of Flight where Don Malarkey and Buck Compton were there to host and field questions after the Seattle Premier of it.

Posted by: TomPhilo | January 11, 2011 12:22 AM | Report abuse

First, I'd like to express my appreciation for all of you who, in your posts, have so honored Dick Winters, and the men of Easy Co., 2nd Battalion, 506 PIR (Parachute Infantry Regiment) 101st Division, U.S. Army - and all the men and women who have served, and continue to serve, this great nation and humankind in all our wars and peace. You have communicated to me through your heartfelt words your feeling of deep and humble gratitude for the extroadinary sacrifices these men and woman have made.

Of course the motto for the 506th, "Curahee" is an American Indian word meaning, "We stand alone, together."
By our shared feelings expressed in our words, I feel a bond with all of you as we stand together - each of us alone in our own shared feelings of gratitude and loss.

Thanks, Dick - and all you other great guys and gals, living and dead, that serve.

Your service and sacrifice are a part of what makes the long arc of the moral universe bend towards justice.

Posted by: MARINEPILOT | January 11, 2011 12:57 AM | Report abuse

It bothers me how often we use the word hero. Mr Winters is the real deal of what a hero should be.

Currahee!

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | January 11, 2011 2:01 AM | Report abuse

When people say, they would follow someone into hell, they are just spouting more of the disinformation priests & preachers have allowed to sprout in their imaginations and built-on. Biblically, the grave,the underworld,hell; all mean the same, so that all of us will follow each other into hell(that place where total destruction of our flesh & bone happens)in the process of becoming " dust " and as King David said in Psalms 104, the breath goes out, the thoughts perish ... We are dust and return to it.

Posted by: naahbob | January 11, 2011 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Now these are what you call, REAL MEN!! It's really too bad there aren't a whole lot of them left today. Many soldiers, men and women are willing to die for their country and it's beliefs, without question. Then, you have some in the military who only signed up because of what their country could do for them, not what they could do for their country. (As JFK put it so elequently) There are many who when it's their turn to deploy, fake hurt backs and whatever else that they can use, so they don't have to go. But, because of this, soldiers that have already went when they were called, have to take not only these people's places, but also their own when it's their turn again. So they're actually going twice! Once for when they're suppose to and again when the coward is suppose to! It's sickening and appalling! They are truly cowards! I know this because I have a son who is married with 3 young children, who is making the Air Force his career, and he has to go in other people's places because they fake medical reasons and have no problem with letting someone who's already been on their deployment, go again. They don't care if that person dies in their place, as long as they don't have to go. These are truly cowards. They need to be kicked out of the military, stripped of their benefits, and labeled a coward! It's not right that our son or any of the others have had to go, and still continue to go, twice as much because of these people. Yet they're allowed to stay in the military and keep receiving all of their benefits! If you join the military, you do what the military requires of you. That's what you signed up for. You don't let someone go in your place to get killed!! I am so sick of hearing them and their family members get on the TV or radio and say, "This isn't what they signed up for. They signed up to get an education." Well, yes, it IS what you signed up for. You sign up for ALL of it. Good and bad! Why should you be allowed to stay all nice and cozy back in the states or wherever, and let someone else keep going in your place. If you're not physically or mentally able to be deployed, then you shouldn't be physically or mentally be able to stay in the military just to get your benefits!!! Plain and simple! Why doesn't it bother you or your family that you're sending someone who's aready done their deployment and may have a family, to take your place and have to leave again? Plus, they have to go when it's their time too! They don't get to skip a deployment just because they took your turn! They have to do both! Either deploy or get the hell out of the service! It's cowardly and selfish of you and your family! Why can't you understand what it's like to be "A Band Of Brothers"?????

Posted by: sconcreteguy | January 11, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I heard about his death just now and I noticed to be shocked by it. I new about him due to the TV-series. After that I read a lot about him, visit the Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden in 2009 and I will visit Normandie in april this year to see the spots where he've been during the attack.
I want to pay my respects to his family and friends/members of Easy Company.
Jeroen van der Bunt
Netherlands

Posted by: JvdBunt7 | January 11, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I only just finished reading Dick Winters' autobiography over the holidays. Thanks to Band of Brothers, I was inspired to ask my father to tape his recollections of his service in the Pacific during WW2 before he passed. We owe Winters and the men of Easy Company, and all the veterans who have passed and are still with us, a huge debt. As Dick Winters said so eloquently: "He was not a hero, he served in a company of heroes." God Bless him and his family and the remaining members of his company.

Posted by: northadam | January 11, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

This incredible man was and will remain the face of courage,honor, integrity and the finest example of our men and women in uniform.With profound sadness I say God Speed to this fine officer who although I never met became a personal hero.God Bless you Sir,God Bless all of your comrades retired and serving I will never let the world forget you or any of those like you who serve our beloved America.

Posted by: christopher12 | January 11, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

It is with the deepest sadness that we have learned of the death of major winters. We all owe a debt of gratitude to the brave service men and women of the united states. I will never forget what you have done for us in england. Thank you, rest in peace.

Posted by: Rblack8585 | January 11, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It is a great loss to our country to see the passing of a fine officer and a true gentleman. He will be remembered forever by many. I lost my father (a pacific veteran) 2 years ago and remeber some of his stories, but non better than what was taped the the Marine Corp Museum. Major Winters is truly a leader who has writen the history books and the reason this county bases its freedom on his actions. Too many are passing today. He will truly br missed, but none more than the "Company of Heroes" in Easy Company.

Posted by: dmdan | January 11, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for my freedom Major Winters.

signed An Englishman.

Posted by: david_wakenshaw | January 11, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

As a young man I was inspired by the story CURAHEE!!! It was read and re-read dozens of times - I was moved by the bravery, courage and losses of these Warriors. I aspired to become a member of "The Fraternity of the Few - this Band of Brothers" as eloquently stated by King Henry V. It was my privilege the serve in Canada's Airborne Regiment - thus sharing the Airborne heritage that was established by outstanding Airborne Soldiers like Major Dick Winters. The series Band of Brothers was terrific, I have a copy of the series that I have carried everywhere including Afghanistan - It was truly inspirational! I had the privilege of working with the 101 Airborne Division during my deployment - they are the best Soldiers in the world - leaning into an extremely tough fight in true Airborne traditions!!! My condolences to the Family and a heartfelt Salute to Major Winters!

Major Winters Sir!

Winds Five!!!!

Posted by: thisiswhoweare | January 11, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Major Winters was a great man, a highly effective but modest and kindly company grade officer. He'll be an icon for many generations to come. Ike and Brad are waiting. RIP sir.

Posted by: AncientTerp | January 11, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

As a Dr. of history, I can say the story of easy and the 506th is one of legend. Maj. Winters was the kind of officer every one in uniform should strive to emulate. He is great because he thought of others first, not himself like so many others did reaching for glory. I'm sure he is enjoying a well earned rest in heaven.

Posted by: LanceYoung | January 12, 2011 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace Major Winters your brave deeds will always be remembered here in England and also in France. Thank you.

Posted by: susaneaston1 | January 12, 2011 4:18 AM | Report abuse

God bless Major Winters and his comrades !!
God bles USA !!
==========================================
Stand Up - Hook up
Ready for the red - Show the red
Stand the door
Ready for the green - Show green
Go!!! For freedom and a better world !!!
Thank you so much From the deepest Respect and Admiration.
===========================================
===========================================
From Spain, a spanish man.

Posted by: Anonimous | January 12, 2011 7:31 AM | Report abuse

A "real" leader. My dad served in WWII in the Pacific and, although I never met any of the Easy Company men, I felt I knew them. Dick Winters and his men should be the boilerplate examples for all and they personify a lot of what I think America needs to get back to.

Posted by: danbednarik | January 12, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Major Winters and God Bless you and all soldiers of the 506th and entire 101st Airborne Division! You did well Sir! I had some great Officers in Viet Nam with the 101st. but I do so wish I could have served under you.. AIRBORNE!

Posted by: billmail | January 12, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

CURRHEE!
We lost a true amarican hero yeterday. I never had the honor of meeting Major Winters but from reading the books "Band of Brother's" and the "Big Brother" I cant help but feel as if I new the Major to a certin extent. And in hearing the news of his passing effected me deeply, the same as losing a close friend or family member.
Major Winters, inspite of what he says of himself was a truely GREAT man a man all should look up to and admire.
To the Winters family and friends, you have my deepest sympathies.
Rest in peace Major.
CURRHEE ! in deed.

Posted by: denton45rvh | January 12, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I was so moved when I read of Major Winters passing. As a 47 year old lady, I only knew of Major Winters from his story in Band of Brothers! I admired and thought so much of this man prayed that he found the peace he longed for while in Europe. May you you Rest in Peace Major Winters you have so earned that right!
a unknown friend from Md.

Posted by: lisalachenmayer | January 12, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

What a great man. It is a shame that this hero passes away and it may have been barely mentioned on the news, but when a celebrity dies, we hear about it for years. Of course, Mr. Winters, being the way that he is, would not have wanted a big fuss to begin with. Mr. Winters, I pray that our soldiers today look to you as an example of bravery, courage, and what a real soldier should be. Now I hope that you are able to spend eternity in peace just like you always wanted. Curahee!!!

Posted by: ga_peach128 | January 14, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

HERO = A MYTHOLOGICAL OR LEGENDARY FIGURE OFTEN OF DIVINE DESCENT, ENDOWED WITH GREAT STRENGTH AND ABILITY, A WARRIOR, A PERSON ADMIRED FOR THEIR ACHIEVEMENTS AND NOBLE QUALITIES, ONE WHO SHOWS GREAT COURAGE.

THANK GOD FOR THE BLOOD OF HERO'S!

MAJOR WINTERS, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY....

Posted by: jjgkemosabe | January 14, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank You Dick. I am speechless. You and your friends are the greatest and bravest men I have ever heard of. Make sure to tell Nix I said hi.

We all owe the world to you, and we will make sure the sacrifice you made was not in vain.

Anders Sjöström.

Forever grateful.

Posted by: andywarhol_755 | January 14, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Major Winters death fills me with great sadness. I had recently watched the Band of Brothers on DVD for the 2nd time.

RIP a true hero.

Thank you from a British and now proud American Citizen.

Posted by: bazboyq | January 16, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse