A Roll Call Even Hollywood Couldn't Top

Ever since the demise of smoke-filled rooms at national political conventions of the past -- where deals were worked out behind the scenes -- most viewers skip roll call votes for the nomination, passing up ministerial events where the outcome is determined days in advance.

I try to never miss them.

I tune in and hang on every word.

I’m so glad I didn’t miss this one.

Yes, it was historic. The first time an African American has been nominated for president of the United States by a major political party.

Yes, too, the orchestration of the event was pure Hollywood -- no, make that pure stuff of Washington: Hillary Clinton’s appearance on the floor to move for Barack Obama’s nomination by acclamation, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s magical arrival at the podium to guide the convention to its scripted outcome.

To hell with Hollywood, Washington types do that political stuff better than anyone, anywhere.

As for me, the highlight -- my pure, unadulterated joy -- was in the speeches by the heads of the delegations that cast their votes for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
I received a history and cultural lesson in Americana listening to the speakers tout their respective states. Sure, they all put a little yeast in their stories, but what the heck.

The visuals were stunning as well.

Did you know there were so many people of color in Montana and Idaho?

Without the roll call vote, I would not have seen the public make-up of convention delegations.

They looked like the America I want for my children and grandchildren. That they also came together to produce the nation’s first presidential candidate of a different color is important. But not as much as what they presented in themselves.

Can the Republican convention even come close?

By Colbert King  | August 27, 2008; 7:18 PM ET
Categories:  King  | Tags:  Colbert King
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why Bill Is Mad
Next: Bill Clinton: 1992 and Tonight

Comments

We've been keeping the TV on MSNBC, and when I switched it on late this afternoon, I was surprised to see the roll call going on. Chris Matthews was talking over the whole thing, and I couldn't make sense of either his or the delegates' words.

I was about to switch to C-Span when I saw Eleanor Holmes Norton rise, and I was determined not to miss a word of what she had to say. It took an effort to tune out the suddenly irrelevant Matthews chatter-- but I managed to do it, and to hear her voice, steady and strong as a beating heart. I thought: so real and true to life.
"We the people" constantly ignored and talked over-- but her delegate count was heard and duly registered. And that's what matters. After that, I turned on C-Span. I think that's the first time I've watched a roll call, and what an unexpected delight. I have never been prouder of my country. I heard Keith Ellison say much the same thing about pride, and suddenly
Michelle Obama's come home to much more fertile soil. Obama/Biden '08!

Posted by: Olive | August 27, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

This is the first time I have ever watched an entire political convention. As I watched and listened to the roll call, my heart overflowed with pride. I have never been so proud of my country and fellow Americans as I was when the Arkansas and New Jersey Delegations cast their unanimous votes for Senator Barack Obama. I am proud of Senator Clinton for her display of character in nominating Senator Obama as the Democratic Party candidate for President of the United States. Denver is an appropriate city for party unification, after all, Colorado is the state that inspired my favorite patriotic song, America The Beautiful.

Posted by: BKN | August 27, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The self-importance of the media is despicable.

Go back to showing events instead of trying to be the event.

Good column, CK.

Posted by: sm | August 27, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

It is reflective of Obama's self-centeredness and immaturity that he tried to block the roll call from being done in public at the convention.

And once again Hillary Clinton demonstrated what a great leader she is and how much better she is than the chosen candidate.

To me it was not historical but history repeating itself - keeping American women firmly in their second class citizen status.

It was enough to get me to leave the Democratic Party.

Posted by: Not Impressed | August 27, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

It would have been nice to of heard from these disenfranchised states, rather than having them cutt off by a fraudulent acclamation
North Carolina
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Posted by: JC | August 27, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

At least Hillary had the guts to go on Fox and take then heat. Obama is yellow. His campaign is yellow by not allowing any Dem delegate to talk to the conservative media. Yellow to the core, bad judgment. Anybody watching the crap coming out of Bills mouth. He stopped oil drilling. He created the health care crisis along with his wife. He let the terrorist piss all over us. He did nothing to fight them. Bill is and always will be useless. His wife has more moxie and would have been a better president.

Posted by: Clear Voice | August 27, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I listen only to C-SPAN for convention coverage. No spin. Every speech in fully covered. No high-paid announcers who must justify their salaries by insisting on talking over the main event. Regardless of one's political affiliation and choice of mainstream networks, thank you C-SPAN for letting me listen without comment.

Bill Clinton is making another great speech as I type this. Yes, the cynical and the spin doctors will have a field day. Wise Americans will listen and weigh the speeches this week and next.

As for me, McCain did himself in by his answer to a very simple question regarding his home ownership. Yes, a simple question. If he cannot answer simple ones, how can he answer the tough ones?

My question for today: How many countries can we force to adopt democracy if the cost is at least one trillion dollars per country? We started this practice with Iraq. Think about this. Remember that the superwealthy among us have received obscene tax breaks during this war effort.

Next question: Who is paying or will actually pay for this debt if the superwealthy do not and are not?

Posted by: Earl C | August 27, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember having watched a roll call in the past, but I will never miss another. Today I am VERY proud to be a Democrat.

Posted by: epinchicago | August 27, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Clear Voice? What an idiotic name for a person who spews what you do so here. Would you Clinton haters please please finally get a life?

Posted by: Christine | August 27, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The roll call and nomination by acclamation was a beautiful thing, Bill Clinton's speech - wonderful, John Kerry's speech - terrific (I loved when they introduced Barack's uncle who liberated the concentration camp). I too am proud to be a Democrat.

Posted by: Mary | August 27, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

To "Not Impressed" and all the other Hillary "supporters",

So you're leaving the Democratic Party? Well, all I can say is good-by and good riddance. I rather imagine you were only a temporary Democrat to begin with. One of those cross-over Republicans who took Limbaugh's advice and re-registered because the GOP was too eager to sink their fangs into Hillary's neck. How disappointing for you and all the Limbaughnistas that she didn't get the nomination. Perhaps we can lay some of the blame at your doorstep. You NeoCons were just too eager and too blatant about wanting Clinton because you knew it would be a forgone conclusion that she would lose. Too many people hated her and her husband to ever allow her to win the White House. Am I sorry she didn't get the VP spot? Absolutely. I think the two of them would have made an unstoppable team but it didn't happen. Grow up and get over it. There's always 2012.

Try looking at the long view instead of throwing a tantrum about Clinton. Obama's nomination is breaking the mold. It came as no surprise that he got nominated because, like it or not, we ARE a nation of misogynists. I always said that we would elect a black male president before we would elect a woman. Don't completely blame the media for what is so rampant in our culture. We have mainstream religions that teach women to be subjugated to their husbands and to breed like rabbits. That decisions regarding their bodies are best left to men not to themselves. I know there are people out there who won't vote for Obama because his skin is too dark. Never mind that he is half white. Sad to say, we are a nation of bigots who would rather cling to our prejudices. We still judge people by their color, gender, and monetary worth than by the "content of their character" as MLK said. So please don't try and convince me you are such a staunch Hillary supporter that you would go against everything she and the Democratic party stand for and vote for that corporate elitist McCain. Just be honest and return to your bigoted, "we never met a corporation we didn't love" Republican party. We don't need your kind mucking things up in ours.

Posted by: Ederlore | August 27, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

The grand Old Party is doomed no matter how many houses their president.

Posted by: Gardener | August 27, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Hip hip hooray for Barack Obama &
Joe Biden.

The only reason it even seems like a close race is the media's thumb on the scale. In the reality based community McCain is beyond toast, he is just ashes in the wind.

Posted by: Patrick DeBurgh | August 27, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

What a wonderful, historic night! 100 years ago today, LBJ was born. He made history with the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, but those laws were only possible because of non-violent protesters led by Dr. King and other brave men and women. Their determination in the face of jail, violence, and intimidation brought the country face to face with its failures. Tonight, an African American is the nominee of my party for President. I am so proud. The world should sit up and take note - America, for all its problems, remains an incredible land of opportunity. I look forward to President Obama healing divisions at home and abroad.

Posted by: Karl in MD | August 27, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I am also a great fan of roll calls and have been watching them since 1960. However, I was surprised to see Ms. Norton give the comments for DC. I thought that was the role of Mayor Fenty.

Then I read in the DCist that Fenty was 10 minutes late for the roll call; Ms Norton filled in for him; and when Fenty arrived late, he left the delegation to roam the convention floor. I am disappointed our Mayor didn't think it important enough to be on time. We as a city can do better!

Posted by: DC Voter | August 28, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

What a farce this roll call was.....if you
thought it was good, you should have been around in the old days....

Posted by: Karen | August 28, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Much todo about nothing!?

Posted by: Jason V | August 28, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I always keep my TV for news on MSNBC.I was disappointed that Chris matthews talked so much during the roll call it was difficult to understand what some of them were saying.Maybe the long days and long hours were getting to him????

Posted by: Betty | August 28, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

I share the sentiments of those who say that watching the roll call was an extraordinary experience. It's one of the times I have been most proud to be an American.

That sounds so hackneyed but anyone who saw it knows what I mean, and anyone who didn't should join my hunt to find a video of it :) Really. It will change you.

However, the real reason I'm chiming in is to tell folks that you can watch the entire convention live -- untrammeled by "journalists" talking over everything -- not only on C-Span but in HD at demconvention dawt cahm. It's the official site and the quality of the video and sound is excellent.

Posted by: Tandy in Asheville | August 28, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Im not American but Im grateful to the Democrats for taking us to the next level politically speaking.We definitely have alot to learn from the American people.Barack is certainly a great inspiration to lots of people across the globe.
Bill and Hillary,you continue to mesmerize people.It was great listening to you.

Posted by: muga dave | August 28, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

The Republican convention will have just as much hoopla and a lot more truth. I was amazed by the outright lies told by Bill Clinton during his speech. Don't get me wrong. Republican lie a lot because they talk like conservatives and govern like liberals. Democrats talk like liberals and govern like communists.

Our only hope is that Barack will loose solidly in November, McCain will serve only one term and step down. Maybe then a real conservative can run for office and win.

Posted by: ahumanbean | August 28, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

To me, This was an historic night that will be followed by an historic nasty campaign as the negative Republican scare tactics have just started. But if we stand tall and firm at last to CHANGE this horrible Rovistic world into a Obama-Biden Nation we may at long last CHANGE business as usual and make life somewhat better for us who are not on corporate boards and who are lackey's of foreign oil interests. Or will we create more elitist like the Clintons, who came from these same humble roots or Bushes who were born into it, and became game players with the Rove's and Chaney's of this world who used scare and scheme instead of concern and change to win there mandates. We shall see if America has any backbone at all or will again be duped by these scare mongers. Let's see if the Clinton's, McCain's, Lieberman's, Romney's or Guiliani's finally put their racist and ethnic fears aside and get on board the Obama-Biden Express to Success for this Nation. We have a chance but fear only fear will hold us back. Let's remember that Roosevelt knew that fear could cripple a nation, we must as Biden says tonight not be afraid to get up and go at it again against the villains of tyranny. The Tyranny of fear. The tyranny of Islamic Terrorists, The tyranny of Economic Paralysis, Stand up America and make a change for the better in this nation. AT LONG LAST. Pay off your bills, turnoff your cell phones and computers and VOTE!!! For a change you can not only believe in but can take to the bank. Let the Richies (who don't know how many homes they own) pay the bill for a while. Let us hope we have an historic election which finally changes not only the complexion of the presidency but more importantly, the character of our leaders to a more positive, intelligent and charismatic set of leaders who can actually LEAD.

Posted by: brotherjack | August 28, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Hurrah for John Kerry...!!! absolutely the best speech of the whole convention.....the American
flag belongs to the American people...! my country-right or wrong...when right, keep it right; when wrong, make it right!

I knew I did not waste my vote in '04....!

Posted by: Ramon Ng | August 28, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

When The Demosocialist er I mean, Democrats lose another ekecetion, you think They will finally get it?? No one drinks Their Dreams but them, It;s better to Seee reality as it is, Then wish it was Disney land, or in Obama's case Pee Wee Herman's House of Fun!

Posted by: James | August 28, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

What a waste of time and energy as well as tax payer money to do a roll calleven though the outcome was already determined. The politicians are more interested in the drama and hoopla than serving the country. Bill Clinton's speech was mediocre at best.

Posted by: John Standback | August 28, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

re: Tandy in Asheville
Yes, demconventions.com is showing it but if you have upgraded your browsers this summer on Firefox from 2 to 3 or Safari from 3 to 3.1 or 3.2 you're not gonna get it. C-SPAN and actually, CNN online, have been the best for streaming coverage so far, without the newscaster psyco-babble, and seemed to have kept up compatibility with most browser upgrades. CSPAN & CNN have clear, live coverage with no breaks for ads or commentators analysis, at least until after the convention has recessed. MSNBC.com, the page looks insane and I won't go near FOX.

Posted by: JP | August 28, 2008 1:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't care what party you're affilated with...you can't deny that Barack Obama made history by ascending to what has been thought to be unreachable since the dawn of the United States. For a black man to even have a legit chance is historical inand of itself.

Oh and by the way, ahumanbean, have you ever put chocolate syrup in milk? No matter how much you put into it, it always end up being chocolate milk, plain and simple. If you've got a drop of black in your blood, you're black...end of story.

Posted by: astudentwhocares | August 28, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm voting for McCain, I want Clinton to win in 2012. With these two McCain, Obama the doomsday clock will tick louder. I'm wondering how you can stomach Russia and China gaining power the US will not go anywhere if we have a strong leader to guide us out of trouble not into it.

Posted by: Jesse James | August 28, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

I keep hearing change as we can't afford 4 more years like the last 8. we cannot afford 4 more years of Jimmie Carter raise taxes 18%interest rates,unemployment of 8% that is the messia will give us.A pox on both parties.

Posted by: myron | August 28, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

America, go for Obama! We are here are suffering due to foreign policy of Neo Cons, which did not make the world united, safe and prosperous. I admire America as always, but I look forward to see the vote result, that will ascend Obama to the White House. God will bless America for choosing Obama...! America Don't let me down, please!

Posted by: Simon Saragih, Jakarta, Indonesia | August 28, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

I love the Democratic Convention. I can hardly wait to hear President Obama speak Thursday evening. This was the best Democratic convention I've seen since Adlai Stevenson was nominated in 1952. I shook his hand as he made a whistle stop in my hometown. Democrats have fun. Did you see all those people, young and old, dancing in the aisle? I'd rather be Democrat any day!

Posted by: Bert | August 28, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

As I watched the DNC early this morning (in Azerbaijan) with President Cliton and then Senator Kerry making their speeches, I totally became a convert for Obama. Although the cream of the whole show was when Sen. Biden's son introduced his dad; as I held my 5 months old son in my arms, I was moved to tears by his words and remarks for his dad.

Biden is a good father, a good man and a devot who will always keep the America dream alive. I trust Biden to compliment Obama's good judgement and good instinct just as President Cliton said it.

Finally, Sen. Cliton remains dear to me and much more dear after her mature display in the DNC.

Posted by: Nwolisa | August 28, 2008 2:06 AM | Report abuse

The most impressive speakers were Bill and Hillary Clinton. I think the democrats now see what a BIG mistake they made! Of course, Obama winning was only accomplished with the help of Pelosi. Now they see him dropping in the polls. This democratic sweetie is voting for McCain! I wouldn't put someone with one year of experience in any CEO position much less as our President. WOW, how foolish!

Posted by: F. Rice | August 28, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

What an absolute disgrace. The quality of these candidates would never have made it nearly this far in the good old days. Then we get a speech from Hillary about not giving up, as she is surrendering and Bill, a disgraced President that was impeached for lying under oath to a federal jury and who looked us all in the eye and lied about about having sex in the White House! Is this the best they could come up with. Oh yes there was Joe the perpetual loser and finally we get obama, a legend in his own mind and not ready for prime time. The democrats should be locked up for treason!

Posted by: supaman | August 28, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm blown away by some of the hateful remarks here......Whether Obama is black, half black or half white he's the one who will change the course of self destruction the Republicans have set into motion for the country and turn it around. Ignorant people who profess not to be racist giving one or more uninformed reasons for not supporting Obama are just scared of what might be the best thing that ever happened to U.S. politics. Vote for change, decency, truth, honor and what is the right thing to do! Vote for Obama!

Posted by: George W | August 28, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Bravo now that all the Hoopla is over, hopefully AmeriKa can finally learn what all this Change, Change, Change Obama has been blindly spewing out for the past months is all about. Surely someone out there hasnt dunken ALL the liberal Kool-aid and will ask. The last time we had a DemoKrat president the only Change I saw was the few coins I had left after they raised my taxes!

Posted by: Sgt. Laughsalot | August 28, 2008 2:16 AM | Report abuse

It wasn't worth my time listening to all the filthy lies coming out of Bill's mouth. For him to even say that because of G.W. our military is overstressed and overused when he's the one who closed off 6 military divisions in the 90's. Ironically, he sent me and thousands of others to Bosnia and Kosovo in the late 90's and actually had the CIA's cross-hairs on Bin Laden and he personally made the call to let Bin Laden go. It's because of Bill Clinton that Bush has experienced terroristic problems and it's today's Democratic Congress that is choosing to do nothing to fix our present-day crises!

Posted by: mxg | August 28, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

For months I have been agonizing over this future of this country and where we are going.

I vote every election and hope it makes a difference. I believe in our consitution and the spirit on which it was written. I also believe in the people of this country because of the spirit that is born with each one of us.

I also have a deep fear that my children 3 and 5 will die from the effects our our dying environment for the lack of controls on global warming, killed by a terrorist because of lack of deplomacy or greed,or disease because of the lack of medical care.

I don't know what the future will bring, but I know the past and the past tells us we must adapt, change, struggle, and unite or die. We depend on eachother in this great big world. We rarely agree, but we all hunger, we all fear and we all love our children.

I have read people placing comments here and wasting energy on hatred and contempt. I read one person who said he was leaving the Democratic party.....I say, good riddence becuase in the comming days we need only the brave and not those who choose to quit when times are hard. Hellen Keller once said..... "Believe no pessimist EVER discovered the the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit"..... I believe those words. This is not the time to quit.

The question on the lips of everyone is is Obamma ready for the Presidency? Of course not...no one is. Kennedy was not ready and riddiculed for it, neither was Clinton. However, the charachter of a man is often measured by not what he does in passing but what how he performs under fire. This is where heroes are made wheather they knowing ly charge the cannon or run the wrong way into accidental glory. They were heroes all.

My father used to say, "Man learns to love God in Indian Country", and I think we all turn to our creator in times of need. Thease are those times. I we are to move forward, we must do it arm in arm and with conviction or the voice of our desperation for change may never be heard above the roar of tyranny.

Posted by: Ruben Arizpe Jr. | August 28, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

i wa smoved to tears by J Bidens' recollection of his childhood as a middleclass child. i to remember the hardships, mom working 3 jobs to feed us and through all those hard times she never complained and always said "honey , this is the land of opportunity, it is what we make it". those dreams were lost to me years ago due to the governments dismissal of what its voters wanted, but.............now there is once again hope in my heart and my soul feels a lightness unknown to me since childhood. i am PROUD to be able to vote OBAMA/BIDEN.God has sent these two men to pull the people together instead of trying to drive wedges between them as the retardicans,excuse me ,republicans are so wont to do. god bless this country,and god bless even the fools who cant see past john mccains. lies

Posted by: bill bryant proud democrat!! | August 28, 2008 2:24 AM | Report abuse

"Leave the Democratic Party?" For what? Another four years of the same dunderheaded ideas that got America into its present predicaments in the first place? I'm sorry to say this, but anyone who would leave the Democrats, and all that they stand for in this election, and vote for the candidate of the Republicans, and all that they have given us for the last 8 years under George Bush, is clearly making their determination on a single factor: race. The posting by "Not Impressed" is that of a racist.

Posted by: Shepherd | August 28, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Some one please explain to me how we can trust a person to lead this nation who sat for 20 years listening to his "preacher" denounced our country and not object but instead brought his two daughters to listen?
A person whose wife is just NOW proud of her country?

Posted by: lvpappy | August 28, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

The Only person speaking truth was Dennis Kucinich.

Who under the shadow of support took jabs at Obama who voted For FISA, The Patriot Act, Funding for a bogus war and so on.
Everything Dennis Kucinich was speaking against.

Thank God for Kucinich!

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!

Posted by: Mike | August 28, 2008 2:29 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that some of you are actually talking like a McCain (aka Bush) administration would actually be good for this country. Take a look at the below link, and you will see definitive proof that having a Democrat in office (nearly ANY Democrat) increases the GDP growth MUCH more than Repubs, creates jobs by a greater amount (yes, even Carter!), significantly decreases unemployment by more, and perhaps most importantly, proves that though Democrats are branded by the right-wing as "tax-and-spend" and Republicans are angelic "fiscally responsible", it is quite the opposite! Republicans on average increase the deficit by 1.9% (see: Bush), and Democrats *REDUCE* it by 1.5% (see: Clinton). Yeah, that means Democrats actually spend LESS than so-called thrifty, righteous Republicans, thank you very little.

I just can't believe how ignorant some people can be.

Posted by: Matt | August 28, 2008 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Mr. "Jesse James" has posted that he wants a "strong leader to guide us out of trouble not into it." Bravo. I heartily agree.

Let me ask him, have the policies of George Bush steered this country out of such trouble -- militarily and economically? And yet, Mr. James would now vote for Bush's Republican successor, McCain. And then, incredibly enough, for the Democrat's Clinton in 2012! But given their respective stands on the issues (entirely different), what could these two possibly have in common?

The color of their skin.

Posted by: Bluambient | August 28, 2008 2:49 AM | Report abuse

How can ANY PARTY stand by Bill Clinton when he committed one of the most inhumane acts any good person can commit---adultery! Additionally, B. Obama's initial "personal choice" to affiliate with America-hating churches, preachers, continental terrorists who've bombed our national monuments, corporation crooks; and, M. Obama's initial "I'm not proud to be an American" hate speach are very real. Any person's initial response to anything in life is always that person's truest response because we as humans react innately to our inner-core values, philosophies and views. Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and Michelle Obama are liars based off their actions and any group of people who choose to affiliate themselves with them simply shows how corrupt such people are, too. Is this what's becoming of America? No more honesty. No more morals. Lie at all costs in order to deceive people and advance yourself in life?

Posted by: mxg | August 28, 2008 2:52 AM | Report abuse

One prediction. Obama will lose in November and will lose big. I can say this with certainty because the man stands for nothing. Even the impressive convention setting and the numerous speakers endorsing him can say nothing about him except that he stands for "change". I have no doubt that he is a friendly, intelligent, and well spoken individual...I know lots of people that have those traits and I wouldnt vote for them for president. He has lost the previous national leads in the polls that he possesed and has seen no major jump historically seen by candidates during their convention week. American's are tired of being treated like a group of uneducated fools willing to follow any candidate claiming change (how original).I felt sorry watching the people at the convention today, putting their hopes in a candidate who stands for nothing and will most likely deliver the same on election day.

Posted by: Jesse | August 28, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Props to mxg.
At least with the current administration we are fighting Terrorism.
Obama will have no idea how to deal with Russia,Iran, Iraq, or Afghanistan.
His policies for Domestic issues are purely Socialism.
Raising taxes on the corporations that we work for will drive them to move to other countries or layoff Americans.
His policy on Abortion is sick.
All I hear lately is "Watch out White America Obama Is Here"
I am not voting for Obama Because of Skin Color...It is his Policies.
It is somewhat funny that you here that White people will not vote for Obama because we are racist... What year is it...
Oh I forgot 2008. If I look around I am not seeing any barriers standing in the average _______________ middle class way. Oh yeah I forgot_ African Americans_. There is no deferential difference between Black and White in Today's America.
Oh I almost forgot Obama's judgement
He voted against the troop serge then acted like our soldiers just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Reverend Wright plus the rest of Obama's buddies in jail or who have skated jail.
I do admit one thing.
If I knew nothing from above about him, I would have voted for him hands down.
It is a symbol of America the Free No barriers for anyone... But He is too Liberal, His policies can hurt America...
and It's standing in the world.
Go McCain America's Hero and the one Who fought Rumsfeld to get the troop serge to bring stability to Iraq.
Sincerely American Hope, Change and Reality

Posted by: ObamEyesWideOpen | August 28, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

I am a Filipino. I live in a small town in Zamboanga, Philippines. The DNC got me glued to CNN for 3 days now and I really don't know why. I got teary-eyed when Michelle Obama rose to the podium and talked about Barack and about the American dream. I learned to love her even if I really don't know why I should as a villager here. The US setting is quite different from what we Filipinos do when it comes to politics. If there are similarities it was obscured by the way we carelessly do it. I hope we Filipinos can find a lesson in the Clintons'.

Obama's nomination is a clear manifestation of how mature US politics is. Congratulations to the American people for adding a deeper dimension to the word "Equality".

Posted by: Wency Barrientos | August 28, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

The Republican convention will blow this one away...This convention was full of ugly people, giving boring speeches, topped off with a Nuremburg style...err, Denver rally in front of 80,000 screaming and chanting drones.

The ONLY, highlight of the DNC was Bill Clinton, that guy is good at what he does.

The Republicans will throw a star studded cast of widley respected household names up on the stage...Rudy, Arnold, Fred...and P.S. the women the Republicans have speak will actually be attractive, unlike Hillary, Michelle and that Arizona heffer.

Posted by: Jon | August 28, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Additionally, everyone please read the comments on here from those foreigners rooting for Democrats to win the oval office. They know Democrats are America's weakest link. They know our defenses will be weaker with a Democrat in power, thus allowing them to attack us more easily; and, they know that Democrats more so lean towards aiding foreign nations with our hard-earned tax dollars and for what, so we as Americans can be despised, hated, attacked, and killed across the world? Make no mistake my fellow American citizens, the world despises us and some nations actually hate us! That's what happens when you're the top dog in this earth. Some will like you but most will despise you. Plus, none of them ever pay us back our loans (OUR money, the U.S. citizens' money, not our government's)! Foreigners know which party to root for!

Posted by: mxg | August 28, 2008 3:11 AM | Report abuse

WOW! All these Obama haters have immersed themselves in their own lies. Experience? Look at Bush. He had experience nd look where it got us!

This really proves that some Americans are indeed ignorant and get all their news from sound bites and right wing radio.

And then those fake "clinton-supporter-voting for McCain" people.

If you really cared for Clinton, then you would NEVER ever vote for McCain because their platforms and ideas are totally opposed to each other.

Pathetic Indeed.

GO OBAMA/BIDEN!

Posted by: Ben | August 28, 2008 3:15 AM | Report abuse

Please don't criticize Mr. Jesse James for preferring the white candidates (McCain and Clinton) over the darker-skinned ones. His great-great-grandfather was a good ol' Confederate.

No "uneducated fool" is he, "willing to follow any candidate claiming change," especially after supporting an unprovoked invasion of Iraq on the pretext of WMD that never existed! No, sir!

Posted by: SMR | August 28, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

I live in a country where after years of hate, anger, division, a great leader walked free from oppression and inspired us to form a rainbow nation. Sure we have our problems, it's not easy trying to live under an ideal, yet odinary South Africans wake up everyday and try to live the teachings of Tata Madiba.

The American nation is a great nation,once idealised. America is no longer the world, it is a part of the world. With the emergence of middle class educated Indians, Chinese, Russians and even Africans, the US for all its power and respect needs to help us come together, or else it will get taken over by the aforementioned countries, and no one will notice.

American people have this incredible opportunity to elect a leader who has inspired billions across the globe. Mr McCain has turned Mr. Obama's trip overseas into a negative but send McCain over and see who he pulls. Would odinary ppl leave their lives just to hear a man speak...they did for Mr. Obama. He could have given his speech in Berlin and no one could have turned up.

The American ppl have an opportunity to choose someone who can unite nations, groups, communities. Mr.Obama skin may be darker then most before him, but he still is an odinary person who has inspired ppl to make a change. Don't let race or gender fool you, it is not the race or gender that speaks to you, it is the person.

My dear fellow citizens of the world, make the right choice...elect Mr. Obama and choose unity.

Posted by: suzi_Q | August 28, 2008 3:20 AM | Report abuse

WQe need not a clinton in government at all, both are lyers and yet we pay large sums to hear them speek, go and give me a real why! The dems have nothing to fall back on and will fail this election by a large number. Just mabe an independent is needed to shake up Washington, but that will will not take place, cost too much!

Posted by: GEMGUY | August 28, 2008 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Ben, that is Bush who's made some ill decisions, not McCain! That is Bush who's been our President the last 8 years, not McCain! It's amazing how the only way Democrats "can try" to demoralize McCain is to try to relate him to Bush. McCain is not Bush any more than Bush is Obama. This argument is absurd! It bears no logic! It bears no weight!

Posted by: mxg | August 28, 2008 3:34 AM | Report abuse

...for all the beautiful talk, I can never believe wealthy politicians can EVER really understand and bat for the poor, and the neglected!

I will gladly choose wisdom and smarts anytime before "experience"
and "thick resume"....

I am voting for Obama/Biden!

Posted by: Ramon N | August 28, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

The world is watching - Obama makes the election interesting. He's an interesting, charismatic, wise, intelligent, smart, and he's an ordinary folk who work hard to be in his position today. He knows how it likes to live a day unlike his opponent who is silverspoon fed since baby. I am saddened with all the ignorant and stupid comments. How can an American forget the 8 destructive years and wish to continue more years of the same? I salute Mr President Obama and may God bless you in every moves. Be strong and brave! The world is blessing you! Amen.

Posted by: missg | August 28, 2008 3:55 AM | Report abuse

I am not an American but have been watching the 2008 Presidential election very closely. Democrats have made the whole world proud by nominating a 'black' Barrack Obama to be their president. Congratulations !. We now hope American public will not let go this historical opportunity and elect Obama to be their president in November. The whole world look forward to welcoming President Obama.

Thank you Bill and Hillary for putting your weight behind Obama.

Posted by: Mathew Augustine | August 28, 2008 3:58 AM | Report abuse

MABUHAY BARACK OBAMA!!!!

Posted by: mary ann | August 28, 2008 4:09 AM | Report abuse

Many people seem to be concerned with Obama's lack of experience. Go back eight years, exactly how much "experience" did George Bush have?

If we really want change, elect Obamaa. But don't stop there. Elect an entire new Congress. Kick them all out. Start over.

Posted by: DJ | August 28, 2008 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Tonight was a great night for Americans, of all races and all political persuasions. Barak Obama won the Democratic nomination fair and square, and the losing side was gracious in acknowledging and embracing his victory. An African American won the nomination of one of our two major political patries, nt because of his race and not in spite of his race, but without regard to his race. I love America! I love our democracy.

Posted by: Jim W | August 28, 2008 4:13 AM | Report abuse

I want Ramon N and all American citizens here to read this clearly. Ramon, based off your name, I'm guessing you're hispanic. I'm hispanic too and from deep south Texas of all places. McCain didn't inherit wealth from his parents, his wife did! Why must you tie McCain's wealth (again, it's his wife's money, not his) to the current hoopla that simply because he owns 7 houses (again, houses afforded through his wife's inheritance, not his), he doesn't understand poor people like you and me? Please stop pointing fingers at poor, middle-class, and wealthy people for our personal economic situations this day of age. All Americans have an opportunity to advance themselves in life. It's called Education! As American citizens we should ask ourselves, "Do I want to be lazy and feel sorry for myself? Or do I want to take full advantage of this Educational opportunity and go to school, pay attention in class, and most importantly read in order to gain knowledge so I may learn to raise myself from my current financial/economic situation?" The foundations to success have been in place for all Americans since at least the mid-20th century.

Posted by: mxg | August 28, 2008 4:14 AM | Report abuse

enough with the african-american stuff.... it gets really tedious.

Posted by: jim | August 28, 2008 4:28 AM | Report abuse

The Obamas are rich, liberal elitists and they will lose this November.

Posted by: john | August 28, 2008 4:29 AM | Report abuse

hey people.... blacks only comprise a small part of the population (about 10-15 % sorry DC you are an exception not the rule). blacks soon will not even be the largest minority group. reading this article and the posted comments, one would assume america is a black majority population.... this is not the case. why do we need a black president when THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the population is not black... answer me that people!!!!

Posted by: janey | August 28, 2008 4:33 AM | Report abuse

sure will be nice when it's all over. it's been going on to long.

Posted by: ed | August 28, 2008 4:39 AM | Report abuse

I dont get what the teeth-gnashing between Obama and Clinton supporters is about. YOU PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THE SAME FRIGGIN VIEWS!! It may be two different people presenting them but what does that matter? SAME VIEWS! All that matters. Get over your self-importance about who the candidate is. They are all the same anyway.

Posted by: JP | August 28, 2008 4:39 AM | Report abuse

A vte for Mc Cain is a vote for BODY BAGS!!!!!

But don't worry none of Romneys kids will be in danger they won't serve in the military.

The Romneys love to make money off the war and in the USA but would not put thier lives on the line for the USA !!!!!!!

Posted by: Dadw5boys | August 28, 2008 4:53 AM | Report abuse

"the orchestration of the event was pure Hollywood .."

More like pure Chicago. Had it been a fair count, Clinton would have been close. But the fix was in and Obama did not have to get a sweat.

Posted by: Gary E. Masters | August 28, 2008 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Just amazed by some of the shallow comments written here. As a citizen of the world who didnt like America coz of Bush, ive got to say Obama is changing my mind. And if Americans cant see the impact he has on the rest of the world, then you are truly in your own planet...

Posted by: Susan | August 28, 2008 5:25 AM | Report abuse

America has led the world, inspired people of all races,but something has gone wrong.It is depressing to see America playing second fiddle to any country.America's economy is tied China's appron.American companies are folding up and taking jobs elsewhere.Ithink what America needs now is someone to restore their fallen image abroad and their pride and self-confidence at home.OBAMA,may be the Messiah

Posted by: ADDISON | August 28, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

"First, the DNC did not nominate the first Black person for president. He is mixed race and was raised basically in a white cultural situation. People used to complain Colin Powell was to white and he was not white. Barack Obama is a white liberal -- plain and simple."

The nice person who wrote this above comment, are you educated/uneducated? Apparently, you have never taken Science in school. When has a "white" or any light colorings overrule "dark" colorings. In addition to your comment, I wondered if Obama wasn't running as USA president, would you still be labeling him as "white". What if he was Asian/African American, how would you label him? So does it hurt you to see an African/American make history as the first DNC nominaee for the USA president?
__________________________________________

We democratics must take back America! We need to move on putting Obama/Biden in the White House. I was moved by the DNC that show unity in the party! America needs to wake up and smell the coffee that its time for "change to a new direction". Experience doesn't always play in higher position. Take a look at the eight years we all have went through. There are famous people who have died in Higher Position who didn't have experience and others who has. If we believe that a person has a direction in moving forward with "change and hope" than that person should have that chance. Why knock something until you have tried it.

To all those temporarily Hillary Clinton supporters "Shame On You". Your temporarily support for her was nothing but "FAKE". You didn't believe in what she stood for but because of "gender". If my candidate (Obama) didn't win, I wouldn't change over, I stand for my party. Supporters(flip flops) like you is why Democrats can't outst these Republicans. You just make us STRONG" with energy. I pray that we democrats turn this America around for this change that we have been long waiting.

Deep inside heart, I believe the Obama/Biden will win this November. It maybe close but the outcome would be the DEMOCRATS.

NO FEAR IN CHANGE. YES WE CAN and NO STOPPING US NOW.

All The Way--Obama/Biden with all the {{hugs}}

Posted by: kc1219 | August 28, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I happened to watch the roll call live on washingtonpost.com all the way from Alabama and Alaska onwards. It was absolutely wonderful, a slice of genuine Americana. Some of the speakers casting votes for their states were polished. Some were suddenly discovering it was harder to come across that way in public than it had been when they rehearsed in their hotel bedroom. Some of them apparently didn't rehearse in their hotel bedroom!

Yes, there were many people of color, as noted by King, but they were of every color -- white, black, native American, Latino, Asian. The territory of Guam offered up sentences in another language as well as English. There were several Iraq veterans, including one wearing the boots he wore in Iraq. Many delegations had one person cast the remaining Clinton votes and another cast the Obama votes, but it was very cordial--even huggy.

What I learned most of all from the roll call had nothing to do with race. It was how hard this campaign, and this party, is pushing in the West. The level of enthusiasm from every state was high (this is a convention, after all), but to hear a state like Idaho excitedly cast a majority of its votes for "our adopted favorite son, Barack Obama," was unforgettable. Yes, Idaho. The Western delegations were also far more prone to tout their candidates and chances to gain seats and governors' mansions. Something is on the rise out there, and Obama is on their wavelength. Good timing to hold this one in Denver.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | August 28, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Ah, some of the usual haters on the Post blog. The hate differs but it comes out-people who are willing to spew filth- but not with their own name. I always have to hope that these "people" are living somewhere far from DC,not here in this area. I fear that some of it may come from the well dressed man on K street or the fashion shopping women at Tysons galleria.

Posted by: Andrea | August 28, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Great comment from Fairfax. I loved the delegates from Montana and the lady who said "A River Runs Through It" went through her district. The sight all those digital cameras around Elijah Cummings and the pride on his face reminded me that this wasn't just any convention.

For those who say, Barack Obama isn't "African American" because he's "half white" or "we don't need an African American candidate since there are larger majorities," you can go your own way.
To me, it was a magnificent merging of two sectors long separated by hate and fear, and now moving ahead on a common highway into the future. Why now? Because
we need it now. I will forever be grateful to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney for
making this moment possible. If we have learned nothing else, we've learned that
we no longer have the luxury of quibbling over race, gender, age, or personalties.
Vote for the man who is too black or not black enough or not black at all--or get
4 more years of the same.

Posted by: Proud American | August 28, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s magical arrival..." and a might short nay count.

As Mark Twain would say, "Well I should smile..."

I miss the old politics where democracy by delegates actually happened at conventions instead of scripted galas.

Posted by: jdwill | August 28, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

To Janey: You said why vote a "Black Man" into office when the majority is "White". Simple answer, this is suppose to be America!

Posted by: racoonhands | August 28, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I watched the entire roll call vote; and let me say that I am glad I watched. What a historic moment. It had me in tears! I was so proud to be a democrat, and an American. I also thought it was symbolic that the two states that were involved in yielding their delegates were Obama's home state and Bill Richardson's home state. It was a great gesture of unity. By yielding those delegates to Hillary Clinton's home state, where she would be the one to make a motion for acclimation. I thought it was especially poignant because of the rift between Bill Richardson and the Clintons after his endorsement of Senator Obama. It was one of the best political moments I have had the opportunity to witness! You are right, Hollywood couldn't have staged it any better!!

Posted by: Critical thinker | August 28, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

This should have been one of the most exciting Democratic National Conventions in history. With two history making candidates. We should have been able to hear real speeches and watch the delegates get to really make a decision at the convention of who the best nominee would be. Instead the DNC decided who the nominee would be and the roll call was a sham from the start.
To begin with..
They were not going to have a full roll call originally. It wasn't until after Clinton released her delegates and told them to vote for Obama that they even considered a full roll call and even that was only finalized after they took votes at the hotels to make sure those delegates were on board and Obama would have the big numbers. There were alot of discussions and working to make sure the Clinton delegates did not take to the floor and actually cast their votes for her and possibly change the outcome of the nomination. The whole roll call was orchestrated down to the minute.

The scenario would have been much different if the DNC had not twisted the system in Obama's favor.
Consider. If....The rules committee had given Florida and Michigan there full voting rights in the beginning Then Hillary Clinton would not have suspended her campaign.
If those delegates were fully seated while she was still in the race she would not have released her delegates at the convention. The DNC waited until they had pushed her out of the election with the help of the Media. Then in the end they gave Florida and Michigan their full voting rights anyway, which they knew they were going to do.

By the time they had taken to vote it had all been bargained and arranged so that Obama would carry the majority of delegates and Clinton would carry enough to keep her place in history, by those delegates who just would not step in line.
It was a very sad scene to me to see the entire process stripped of any reality.

Posted by: cheryl | August 28, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The idea of Democrats emerging unified from their acrimonious convention is laughable. If the GOP convention had the Clinton/Obama feud and John Edwards scandal, it would be declared a catastrophe.
INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
So True, good luck with your farce Dems.

Posted by: cash | August 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Can the Republican convention even come close Colby?

Quoth Dan "Scram" Rather: "...and now back to our studio audience"

You Dems are so full of yourselves you should be classified as clones...or cannibals

God I can't wait to see your bleeding-heart faces when you loose lol!

Posted by: mdexpat | August 28, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

at last Colby King makes sense this time as opposed to making a fool of himself on Inside Washington, but i'm biased, i am from what Joe Biden calls the "first state" in the roll call "Al-a-bam-a."

Posted by: cd | August 28, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

To hell with Hollywood? To hell with WASHINGTON!

DC RESIDENTS TAKE BACK YOUR CITY!!!

Posted by: ladeeda | August 28, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

We tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen then and you won't listen now. The most important thing that we all should know is that Barack Obama is not just black (chocolate in milk?)and not just white--and neither is America. He is-like all of us-a citizen of the world. More than having the first black man as president I wish we could discuss a man as a man without having to put a check in the box beside race. But since you can't or won't perhaps you can acknowledge this-there are those of you who voted for Bush-twiceand now you regret it. Our soldiers and their families suffer for it. We all do! Can you listen to people with better judgement than yours now?? Can you please do what is best for this country by looking past race and politics and vote in a good man for once? Vote Obama!!!

Posted by: Childof God!! | August 28, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

To all you who would leave the Democratic partyin a snit, sit on your hands on election day or vote for McCain:

Prepare to apologize to your children and grandchildren if the republicans win. You will need to for leaving them a country in tatters for all but the rich.

Posted by: Sandy | August 28, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

If you want your history free from the chattering media... C-Span is a breath of fresh air.

As a 54 year old White woman I cried for the fruition of a dream I have believed since I was 9 years old, that all are created equal. What a glorious gift my forefathers had in the wisdom to build our country's foundation on it. How far we've come, how slow it's been to finally say it is true.

Posted by: Terry | August 28, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

In a move to ameliorate furture talk overs Ted Russert will be doing the hosting during the GOP roll call.

Posted by: Grayhog | August 28, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mxg | August 28, 2008 2:52 AM
------------------------------------
MXG, you've got to be kidding! John McSame committed adultery on his first wife while she was on her deathbed and then went on to marry his mistress--ADULTERY AND DIVORCE! So come again; how then are you able to support Sen. McSame? Please do tell?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I have plenty of money and pay plenty of taxes. I am more than happy to help fund the Democrats' programs of wealth redistribution as long as I can live in peace and continue to rake in the chips!I hope the Dems win and placate the lower rung bellyachers so they can start spending again, I can always use more business and bigger stock dividends.

Posted by: grayhog | August 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I used to support Hillary, until she did the whole "I promise not to count those votes but wait I am losing and need them so let's blame sexism" debacle began- and the Hillary supports just make me groan. They give politics AND feminism a bad name.

Obama/Biden 08!

Posted by: Boomqueen79 | August 28, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

MXG, I don't know why I bother to read your post let alone respond to them, because you are obviously ignorant in knowledge.

"Democrats more so lean towards aiding foreign nations with our hard-earned tax dollars and for what, so we as Americans can be despised, hated, attacked, and killed across the world?"

You can actually believe this while Bush/McSame is sending billions of our "hard-earned tax dollars" to Iraq each month while the Iraq people recognized billions of dollars in surplus oil earnings some sitting in our banks earning interest to this day!

"Make no mistake my fellow American citizens, the world despises us and some nations actually hate us!"

So you think the Iraq people love that we "invaded" their country and want us to continue "occupying" it for 100 more years as "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" McSame has proposed?

"That's what happens when you're the top dog in this earth."

Yeap, we're the "top dogs"; carrying the highest debt load ever, and oweing China more than we ever have in history to paying those who hate us so much--including Iraq whom we are spending record amounts to rebuild their infrastructure while ours is crumbling--record prices for oil. Yeap, we're the top dogs alright. Four more years of Bush/McSame will definately keep us there--as dogs that is; underdogs, stuck in dog doodoo, mad dogs, dog eat dog, and finally some stupid azz dogs.

So go ahead, spew your hatred and stupidity, maybe just maybe you'll get what you're asking for at all of our expense.

Posted by: Where's Your Common Sense? | August 28, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: janey | August 28, 2008 4:33 AM
--------------------------------
Janey, I believe you answered the question for yourself. But let's see if I can give your answer more clarity. We don't "need" a black president; we "need" a president with good judgment, a unifier and not a divider, someone who deals with issues like an adult and not through name calling and petty tactics, someone who can put us on the course of healing this country of the past 8 years of kayos not give us four more years of the same. It's nice that while getting all of this we will also make history in that the man who is best able and positioned to do all of this just happens to be a black man who by the way was raised by his white grandparents which has given him a unique opportunity to view things and people from every prospective; and also who has a sister who is Indonesian married to an Asian-American man which gives him further dimension.

So again, we don't "need" a black president, but it sure is nice that we are able to make history while at the same time electing the best qualified person for the job. Did I answer your question? Oh, by the way, it was a pretty ignorant question to ask--just my two cents.

Posted by: The Answer I Believe | August 28, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I always thought I was the only one that like roll calls. They are informative and high theatre.

Posters who wanted all states to report wouldn't be satisfied no matter what.

I thought having Hillary do the accalmation was wonderful.

Posted by: Roll Call | August 28, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I luved the Idaho roll call the " Barack Obama is the adpoted son of Idaho that was truly a great moment for me...... That group of individuals said that he was one of them....... Wonderful brought me to tears

Posted by: D N DC | August 28, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The nomination/roll call brought me to tears. Most memorable--the Young, White, Republican, two term Iraq Vet nominating Obama, Arkansas' show of unity for their adopted daughter Hillary casting all their votes for Obama, and the grand fanally, Richardson's State New Mexico, yielding their votes to Barack's home State Illinois, who then yielded their votes to Hillary's home State New York and finally Hillary's moving moment when she motioned to stop the voting and nominate Barack by accalmation with the full delegation seconding the motion. Staged or not it was a beautiful uniting moment and it made me proud to be an American and especially proud to be a Democrat. So all of you who had negative comments about it, you don't matter anyway because you are not a part of our Party, and you wouldn't find anything good in anything the Democratic Party did during this convention anyway. It's sad that you can't practice good manners and not say anything if you can't find anything good to say--but I guess it's just the Repukes way.

Posted by: Beingsensible | August 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

A typical liberal argumment here which is fundamentaly right. The Democratic convention is necessarily better because there is more diversity. This is a complete non sequiter, while no one can argue diversity is a bad thing, the fact that African-Americans are disproportianetly Dems due primarily to affirmative action and welfare does not mean that the party platform on these subjects or any other for that matter are correct.

Posted by: Jonathan Dunworth | August 28, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I am a democrat and I am voting for Barack Obama. My first choice for President would have been Bill Richardson, but unfortunately, he lost in the primaries. Yes, I truly liked Bill Richardson, but you know what, I'm gonna suck it up and vote for my party's candidate because I think four more years of Republican mistakes is unacceptable. I'm not going to write in Richardson's name on my ballot. I'm not going to threaten to vote Republican if I dont get my way. I think Hillary's campaign was historic and groundbreaking, but at the end of the day, she is not the nominee. Voting for John McCain and more misguided republican leadership will not make Hillary the nominee. Nor will it erase a six month primary battle that culminates tonight with Barack Obama accepting the nomination. A vote for John McCain is not a vote against Barack Obama. A vote for John McCain is a vote against sane, collaborative and pragmatic solutions to the problems facing America. Hillary supporters: You are right to feel that Hillary should be the nominee. You are entitled to that opinion. However, the fact of the matter is that she is not the nominee and voting for John McCain will not change that. It makes no sense to sink the entire ship because you don't get to be captain.

Thanks for hearing my piece.

And just for the record. Democrats were not the first party to nominate a woman or an african american to a major party ticket. Victoria Woodhull (President) and Frederick Douglass (Vice President) were nominated as a ticket by the Equal Rights Party in 1872.

Posted by: News McTado | August 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The 20th Century was America's century, when America was respected and viewed as the leader of the free world. Unfortunately because of the incompetence of the current administration this is no longer the case. In many parts of the world America is despised. Perhaps, hopefully, the change that is coming will restore Uncle Sam to his previous place in the eyes of the world.

Posted by: A concerned Candian | August 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

For the 1st time I watched the roll call, and at times I swelled with pride, and other times I whooped with laughter at how genuinely human some of the representatives where. But, when Hillary came out and did what she did, as painfully as it must have been, was electrifying and I was moved to tears at her vallantry. I wasn't a supporter to her then, and was affronted by some aspects of her campaign. But, I can see now why and how she had so many supporters behind her. Whatever she chooses to do next, I will keep my eyes on her, and support her future endeavor. She turned out to be much bigger woman than she has been given credit. This is not to take away from Obama, but only to say they both are equally great, and both WILL have their season to shine.

Posted by: MyAudacity | August 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse