Biden's Window Onto America, Our Window Into Biden

Michelle Obama was fine and Hillary Clinton was good and John Kerry was forceful and Bill Clinton was terrific, but Joe Biden… Biden brought a tear to my eye. It came, of course, when he talked about his mother, the virtually cinematic embodiment of maternal myths -- a speechwriter’s concoction, you might have thought -- but there she was in the convention center, a face of crags and ripples, of past pain and present pleasure, with her son looking up and saying that her lessons, each and every one of them, was a step he mounted to reach the stage of the convention hall. Mothers move us all -- and so do sons who love them.

But then Biden got to the bit about the railroad. Most nights, as everyone must know by now, he takes the train from Washington, D.C. home to Wilmington, Del. Much has been made of this, including the preposterous statement that this nightly commute makes him something other than a Beltway insider. But the train trip is still important not because it takes him out of Washington, but because it takes him out of himself. Listen:

“Almost every night, I take the train home to Wilmington, sometimes very late. As I look out the window at the homes we pass, I can almost hear what they're talking about at the kitchen table after they put the kids to bed.” Biden said he overheard talk about economic desperation, about the calamity of aging without enough money, about college tuition payments so immense they can break the back of the middle class, of staggering bills to heat the home, and no pay raise this year and less health insurance and a retirement that gets postponed and postponed and postponed.

This is the virtue of trains and solitude. The train passenger is free to imagine, to fantasize -- to wonder about what’s happening in that lighted window or behind that door. The train brings you close, sometimes so close you can see the people inside. All politicians should be forced to take trains.

Joe Biden painted a picture last night. He did not just recite a list of programs, of what should be done and what was not done. Oh, I know he also knocked his friend John McCain and spanked George Bush, as any Democrat rightly should, but he also fired up the imagination of the torpid TV viewer. Out there, a bit beyond the tracks, close to the saloon and near the pool hall, over by the Holy Rosary Church and down by the social club, next to the bodega, up in that window where -- dammit, the light just went out -- is a story as rich and as complicated and as sad and as joyous as any in America. Great politicians are all voyeurs.

As Biden showed, on a train you can look into a window and see America. And sometimes, as his words about his mother showed, you can look into a window and see yourself.

By Richard Cohen  | August 28, 2008; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Cohen  | Tags:  Richard Cohen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unmoved by the Billfest
Next: A Little Less Doubtful About Biden

Comments

Great post. Excellent imagery. Good writing Richard! Thanks!

Posted by: John Armstrong | August 28, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Very sensitively and insightfully writing Mr. Cohen. Unlike other of your colleagues - especially Ruth Marcus - they work hard to yank the reader back into a bitter redaction that shows more that the writer is full of toxins. These people will never have the heart for the common man and a political leader [even with flaws and mistakes as all of us have] who sincerely have the best view of what a Republic must do in the 21st century.

Leaving the emotion and deeper lyrics in the political picture, it does indeed help many of us believe the better of and for America. You are a very good man.

Posted by: Chris Barrett | August 28, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

NOW Cohen decides to write something decent. Credibility meet window. "With friends like these..."

Cohen has been part of the wrong-wing spin machine all week, so I can't even get behind this.

Posted by: James King | August 28, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Cohen proves why print journalists are still far superior to television. Unlike the talking heads on MSNBC, Cohen gets not only what Biden was trying to do with his speech, but how it was resonating with the audience. I too was leery of Biden's verbosity but he did a fine job of proving that he was not only a worthy selection at the bottom of the ticket, but could fill the top spot as well.

Posted by: BushMustGo | August 28, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Folks, Take a break. Have a home remodeling project to do? Post it online at: http://contractorjoint.com/

And Freelancing Programming Web Design projects? Post it at

That simple.
Good Luck to McCain, The Clintons and Barak.

Posted by: CJ | August 28, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Good summation of Biden's speech. I was impressed by it and by him.

Posted by: m.a.t. | August 28, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I like Biden but taking the train home is allowed if you live so close. What if he came from Montana?

Posted by: norman ravitch | August 28, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I would argue that exactly Biden's nightly train trips during which he sqaw ahd heard an unscripted America reduces his Beltway Insider credentials. Great column!

Posted by: Ted Snyder | August 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Good column, about time.

Posted by: James Tewes | August 28, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mr. Cohen, FINALLY. In the Democratic Primary debates, my husband and I watched (at first) with the preconceived notion that Joe Biden is just too bombastic and full of himself. BUT, as the debates drew on and on, we both really started to LIKE and ADMIRE this man for his honesty, integrity, sound judgement and great knowledge about foreign policy. By the end, when he answered a question with a simple "No", with a self-deprecating smile on his face, we both applauded him in our living room and really felt GOOD about this wonderful man. We are very happy with Barack Obama's wise decision to choose him as his running mate. It will be so good to have two honarable and honest people as leaders of the Executive Branch of our government once again!

Posted by: Lois H. from CA | August 28, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful column, fine writing, and full of feeling.

Thanks so much

Posted by: Dr. Bill Gillette | August 28, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank you. Insightful and beautifully written. You caught the magic and the metaphor of the train window and night, caught it perfectly, just the way Senator Biden spoke it.

Posted by: JP Foster | August 28, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Mr Cohen, great post. I think Biden was the perfect headliner last night; even though Clinton was great, Biden's the guy who'll have to do the heavy lifting, and showed that he can bring the imagery to stir our national imagination.
Thanks for crystalizing what he accomplished last night.
DB

Posted by: DB | August 28, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Joseph Biden, my FIRST choice to be the Democratic nominee, is an honest man. How do I know that? Well, since he has been in Washington for 30 years or so, and is STILL not a wealthy man, that tells ME that he is honest. We all know that there have been many Congressmen who became wealthy AFTER coming to Washington!

I have learned also that Joseph Biden mortgaged his home to pay for his children's college education. He has been a dedicated father and husband, and now has a son going to Iraq next month. He is one of the FEW Congressmen to have a child serving in the military. His son Beau last night brought tears to my eyes as he told us what kind of a MAN his DAD really was!

Mitt Romney has FIVE sons who did NOT choose to serve! They said they were serving their country by riding around in his "Mittmobile" during the primary election, helping him to become the GOP candidate for president! He probably will become McCain's VP.

I have ALWAYS liked Joseph Biden, he is dedicated and sincere and so well-qualified! I still wish, however, that the ticket would have been "Biden-Obama"!

Posted by: Amanda | August 28, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

to Lois from Ca: The succinct answer was "yes," not "no."

Posted by: wendygdi | August 28, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Richard.

Posted by: Olive | August 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Walt: it's probably because you're a Bushnik moron who has nothing to offer to the country but repuglican talking points...

Posted by: The Dogfather | August 28, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

As a long-time, former Bruxelloise, I much appreciate and identify with your insights and comments, now especially when you write about the value of long train rides in the dark. I've spent a substantial part of my life on trains crossing Europe at the end of the working day. In addition to the opportunity to listen in on and chat with people you wouldn't otherwise have the luck to spend time with, there is the calming rhythm of the wheels against the track, the calming onset of night, the solitude, maybe fresh air through an open window, and the recurring, precious ritual of a set, daily time to read and reflect on work and the direction of your life. I never did such productive learning and thinking as when I was commuting between Bonn and Munster - 2 1/2 hours away, even when the train was packed with rowdy young men heading home from their military service.

Now, if we could just bring back the 6-person, face-to-face compartments with the plush seats ...

Posted by: Cynthia Whitehead | August 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain in 2008

Posted by: gary | August 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden successfully did what Barach Obama must do tonight..and throughout the ampaign..i.e he let us get inside this human being..to uncover what were the factors and people who carved his personality and values..this appears to be more important in this election season than in the past..his son, Beau, was equally warm and personable in talking about his father..every father would like to hear these same words from his children..

Posted by: Harry | August 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The first job I had out of college required an 80-minute ride on the Long Island Rail Road's Port Jefferson line each way. In later years I was a frequent Amtrak passenger.

As metaphor, Biden's train passage last night was very effective. Unless Senators get an entirely different class of service than I remember, it can't have been meant to be taken literally.

Posted by: Zathras | August 28, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"Democrats for McSame": what an oxymoron!

but then again quite apropos considering the moro... excuse me, the alleged membership.

Posted by: osmor | August 28, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Best bit from Cohen I've read in years. Thank you. I'm very ambivalent about Biden: I respect his intelligence and work ethic, but have seen him get "pragmatic" and sucked into the Beltway mainstream too often. Kennedy and Leahy have often struck me as the more principaled of the old guard. However, Biden's speech last night was mostly spot-on and the beginning was extraordinary.

Nicely observed, Mr. Cohen.

Posted by: abqcleve | August 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I just cannot fathom why anyone with any minor spark of intelligence could think to vote in a Republican candidate after they have proven they are unable to lead a country effectively. They can and do however, effectively line the pockets of the corporations who line their pockets.

Joe Biden is not a wealthy man. Obama only became wealthy due to his books selling AFTER he became nominee. Obama has upset many Clinton fundraisers because he does not pander to them. He does not give them feel goods and promises that he will line their pockets.

The Obama-Biden ticket perfectly compliments the representation of the average American. These two men know what it is like for us and they want to make America strong once again.

Posted by: TimL | August 28, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Senator Biden's bathetic imaginings about desperate people in the homes his train passed on the way to Wilmington bears an eerie resemblance to the image of a financially squeezed woman sitting at her kitchen table that John Edwards conjured up during his speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Edwards, a trial lawyer used to winning over unsophisticated jurors with such rhetorical tricks, evidently believed that what worked for an audience of twelve would work for an audience of millions. It didn't. In a sense Biden -- whose 1988 campaign for president famously foundered when he was caught stealing passages from a speech delivered by British Labor politician Neil Kinnock at the Iowa State Fair in 1987 -- appears to be plagiarizing again. The man is a serial plagiarizer. Let's not forget that he also plagiarized other people's work at Syracuse University College of Law.

Posted by: David Graham | August 28, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

As usual, I agree with Richard Cohen's analysis. I thoroughly enjoy his style of writing and his perspective. Although my vote is still undecided, I wish good luck to the Obama-Biden ticket.

Posted by: aaldea | August 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

David,

He used those passages on five occassions - credited four times, and forgot to credit once. That makes him neglectful, not a plagiarist.

Also, if I had a nickel for every time a politician (GOP or Dem) conjured a story of the "everyman" to reach voters, I'd be a millionaire.

So get off your high horse.

Posted by: Saphron | August 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

...still waiting for that bounce...

Posted by: Uh.. | August 28, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Excellent. Thanks.

Posted by: Steve Hall | August 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Gallup shows a 6% bounce for Obama...and that was before last night...Biden's train is headed right to Observatory Circle!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess we should start running text comparisons against Mr. Kinnock's old speeches.

We've been down this road before.

Posted by: Rufus | August 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I have to say we are so happy that Obama picked Joe Biden as VP, Joe Biden is very loved man in CANADA!
He made us cry last night too!

Your Canadian Friends

Posted by: Dan Houle from CANADA | August 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I also got a little teary when Biden talked about his mom. Looking at his mother I saw a woman who could have been my own Irish Catholic grandma, right down to the modest shrug and shake of her head when her son praised her.

At first I regretted that Biden didn't rip into McCain more fiercely. But I think the unexpected heart of his speech ended up being the more powerful choice.

Posted by: Mary | August 28, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

yeah, that was a good piece, although I'd like to suggest that when Mr. Cohen wrote, "I know... he spanked George Bush, as any Democrat rightly should," he might have substituted "any Democrat" with "any concerned, patriotic American should..."

Posted by: Jack | August 28, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I was an undecided Independent who sees good in all of the current Candidates. But, after bouncing around on some of the daily blogs I've come to see the Ugly, Dark side of the Republicans as they make Hypocritical, Ugly Comments about Muslims, Calling Obama supporters "Cool Aid" drinkers, Writing Barack HUSSEIN Obama all over the place as if there is something bad in a name. I just want them to know that they've managed to sway me - away from them. And will place my vote for Obama/Biden. The founding fathers would roll over in their graves. Good Luck America.

Posted by: Sam G. | August 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Picking Biden is a cheap attempt to pander to the white racist vote.

Posted by: Tom | August 28, 2008 12:33 PM"

Tom, what makes you think that a true racist would ever vote for a person of color (any color)? No matter who was the vice president choice, the racists will vote for McCain, simply because of his white skin. That, I hope the entire world knows, is a lousy way to pick a president!

Posted by: allenwoodhaven | August 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"I hope that Hispanic voters realize that if Baracky Hussein Obama becomes President, they will be at the bottom of the barrel - Baracky Hussein Obama will have to pacify the Black voters after gaining 99 % of their vote."

Posted by: gary

Gary, you don't give a hoot about Latinos; you're just a lying, fear-mongering racist creep. Do you think of yourself as the hero of this movie? Impossible, when you're just a pathetic sociopath who probably lives alone and lives on fast food and cheap booze.

Posted by: edwcorey | August 28, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"Picking Biden is a cheap attempt to pander to the white racist vote."

Posted by: Tom

Won't work on you, though, right Tom?

Posted by: edwcorey | August 28, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Go Joe Biden, Barak Obama, and the entire
democratic party! I am enjoying the DNC.

Posted by: Zgirl | August 28, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Get 'em edwcorey!!!

Posted by: Babylonsista | August 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Mr Cohen. This was wonderful: beautifully written, thoughtful, and inspiring. Thank you. P.S I forgive you for the tattoo column.

Posted by: mnivera | August 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Richard Cohen wrote a good column this time, about Joe Biden. He missed a couple of days ago, in what he write about Michelle Obama's wonderful speech; but today he got back to making sense again.

Posted by: oldhonky | August 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

On Biden's train riding lifestyle, check out yesterday's Post article. He doesn't get any special service because he's a Senator, just because he takes the time to pay attention to the "little" people - and because he doesn't consider them little at all.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | August 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I am a partyline voter: GOP. Always, and forever. Well, almost forever. I am so tired of the lies of my party I wish to place a bag over my head so anonymity may come sooner than later. Bush has made a mockery of our country. Am I sold on the Obama/Biden ticket, No! But I am "sold" on honesty and that Karl Rove needs to be in prison with "Ol' Scooter", and in a four-man cell. Bush could join them as well as Switzer. My fellow republicans have brought this upon themselves, and we now have zero credibility with the public as well the world.

Posted by: OnjeSickPupper | August 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Very touching. Now please tell us about his connection with the credit card industry. Just a few days ago I got a letter from my credit card company telling me that if I even miss making a payment on time the rate on all my balance will be 31 percent from that day on. And yes they can change the rate any time they want. Ask regular Joe about that. Does he think it's a fair rate for working Americans who for one reason or another must carry a balance on their cards. Ask Barack too. And don't any of you start lecturing me on being responsible and paying off your bills on time. You will start sounding like Republicans.

LOL. Politician is as politician does.

Posted by: tom007 | August 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I've seen Joe Biden stay at events in Iowa until the last farmer's question was answered, with his staff pointing to their watches and pacing back and forth. I listened to him keep to his appointed task even when he plainly had a cold and would have felt better to not show up. But he had promises to keep. I've seen him giving his speech while carrying someone's toddler who was getting fussy. He and his family are the people next door, because they still live that lifestyle.

His campaign was always starved for money in Iowa because he didn't have the big backers with the deep pockets, because they can't count on him to deliver for them.

He is quite a Joe, and he is the reason we will be supporting the Obama ticket now in this household.

Posted by: Donna Hughes | August 28, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Great article Mr. Cohen.

Go Obama-Biden!

Posted by: BigRoy | August 28, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Donna Hughes | August 28, 2008 4:19 PM

-------------------------------------------

Biden Family Financial Connections Detailed

Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden is facing some questions about his family's lobbying and financial dealings.

The Biden family's connections to SimmonsCooper, an Illinois law firm that specializes in representing asbestos victims, is detailed today in a Los Angeles Times investigation by Chuck Neubauer and Tom Hamburger.

The Times reports that the firm promised to finance a hedge fund deal for Biden's son, Hunter, and brother, James (which ultimately fell through); picked the law firm of another son, Beau, to work on dozens of asbestos cases in Delaware; and that SimmonsCoopers employees donated about $200,000 to Biden's campaign efforts since 2001, making the company his top donor.

Hunter Biden is a Washington lobbyist. Beau Biden, the attorney general of Delaware, gave an emotional introduction to his father at the Democratic Convention last night.

The Times' report follows several stories this week documenting Hunter Biden's lobbying connections and financial dealings:

-- The Post reported yesterday that as a U.S. senator, Barack Obama sought more than $3.4 million in congressional earmarks, including $192,000 for a suburban Chicago university, for Hunter Biden's clients.

-- Hunter Biden received consulting fees from MBNA Corp. over a four-year stretch to work on online banking issues, as his father helped the credit card industry push through a law that made it harder for consumers to file for bankruptcy protection, The New York Times has reported.

"Campaign officials acknowledged that the connection between the Bidens and MBNA, the enormous financial services company then based in their home state of Delaware, was one of the most sensitive issues they examined while vetting the senator for a spot on the ticket," The Times reported.

-- Hunter Biden and Joe Biden's brother, James, have been accused in two lawsuits of defrauding a former business partner and an investor of millions of dollars in a hedge fund deal that went sour, The Post has reported.

By Derek Kravitz | August 28, 2008; 11:01 AM ET Politics

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Biden's speech was a wonderful, impassioned, sober piece of testimony.

"Get back up!" I'll not forget this any time soon.

Posted by: herman | August 28, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I too was moved to tears by Mr Biden's speech. A Centrist Democrat, I am so thrilled to hear the echoes of voices from my youth: JFK, MLK, RFK, etc. in Obama's speehes.

I get exhausted listening to the Liberal-Bashing and empty promises. Having been on the receiving end of it in two local "non-partisan" elections, it is both old and immature. Lets move past it soon.

I just came across an interesting article while doing some research and sent it off to all my Republican friends who tell me how good things are under their financial expertise:

The Democratic Dividend
The stock market prefers Democratic presidents to Republicans. Why?
By Carol Vinzant
Posted Friday, Oct. 4, 2002, at 7:15 PM ET

Poll after poll shows that when Americans divide up the chores of running the country, they tend to think of the economy and stock market as Republican domain and delegate softer issues, like the environment, to Democrats.

But Democrats, it turns out, are much better for the stock market than Republicans. Slate ran the numbers and found that since 1900, Democratic presidents have produced a 12.3 percent annual total return on the S&P 500, but Republicans only an 8 percent return. In 2000, the Stock Trader's Almanac, which slices and dices Wall Street performance figures like baseball stats, came up with nearly the same numbers (13.4 percent versus 8.1 percent) by measuring Dow price appreciation. (Most of the 20th century's bear markets, incidentally, have been Republican bear markets: the Crash of '29, the early '70s oil shock, the '87 correction, and the current stall occurred under GOP presidents.)
Read the FULL ARTICLE here:
www.slate.com/default.aspx?id=2071929

Posted by: Kitty | August 28, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

tom007, the corporations have pwned you. Get over it and get some Hope from The One.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:47 PM

-------------------------------------------

Anonymous,

Whatever pwned is I have some questions:

1. Do I need to drink the Kool-Aid with the Hope?

2. Would it be on the house? Thirty one percent interest rate is still too stiff even for a special agent with license to drink.

3. Could I have it shaken and not stirred?

Posted by: tom007 | August 28, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I still can't forgive you for the Stephen Colbert column, let alone the tatoo column. I'll never forgive you for knowingly protecting yourself against Anthrax and keeping us outsiders in the dark. You want to keep lights off when it comes to politics, and you helped cheerlead the USA into a disasterous war. That being said, this post was a joy to read. Thank you.

Posted by: Slats | August 28, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Biden's speech and Cohen's observations shed a light on the biggest problem with the Democrats for at least the last eight years.

Biden pondered all this on his lonely late-night train rides. He told us what he imagined the people in the houses he passed had to say over their dinner tables...

Which is exactly the point. He IMAGINED it. He never bothered to get off the train and ask them. He already knows what they're saying, better than they themselves know.

The liberal tradition since at least Gladstone has been exactly this sort of paternalism. And when working men and women stand up and say this imagined conversation is NOT what was said over their dinner tables, the liberals, and today's Dem's, just dismiss them as deluded and "bitter." It's just False Consciousness; we know what they OUGHT to be saying over that dinner table, and that's more important than any inconvenient truths about what they actually ARE saying.

Posted by: Bruce | August 28, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

The article really was well written and thoughtful. Senator Biden's life is inspirational.

The comments here seem to break down into to distinct groups, but not on party lines.

There are those who love their families, country, mothers, etc.

And there are those who simply hate.

Posted by: Ira | August 28, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought WAPO writers are heartless son-of-b.., thanks for changing that view, Mr Cohen. Why don't we see more of you in weekly political talk shows? I zip past your other WAPO colleagues comments/opinion on Sunday mornings, would not miss you(if u are invited to join). Sometimes I feel that your WAPO colleagues are writing with a gun on their head, is that true???

Posted by: Zia | August 28, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Bruce, you are missing the point here. He imagined that because he knows the issues so well. He is one of the most approachable Senator there is, by the way.

Posted by: Zia | August 28, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

"He never bothered to get off the train and ask them."

You haven't lived in Delaware, have you?

There's a reason Senator Biden has been elected six times in a row.

Posted by: Martha | August 28, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Quick, someone check to see if Neil Kinnock took the train home.

Posted by: lee Zimmerman | August 28, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Cohen as usual resorting to the typical right wing nonsense of the MSM. This is just a slick sneak attack on Obama. Read Cohens latest post when he made his neo-con attacks on Hillary and Michelle. We are not fools nor are we fooled!

Posted by: Elmer | August 29, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

"How long is the Beast allowed to have authority in Revelations? "

Revelations Chapter 13 tells us that it is 42 months...

... Almost a four-year term of a Presidency...

According to The Book of Revelations the anti-Christ is:

"...a man, in his 40's, of MUSLIM descent, who will deceive the nations with persuasive language, and have a MASSIVE Christ-like appeal....the prophecy says that people will flock to him and he will promise false hope and world peace, and when he is in power, he will destroy everything..."

Do we recognize this description?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even if you don't believe in the Bible or it's teachings, how can we ignore the fact that this man has such close ties to the Muslim faith and it's beliefs?
And that the Pastor from his church preached hate against America?--No matter how much he may denounce him now, this was his spiritual leader for many years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a recent news broadcast, Barack Obama made this statement with pride, 'We are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . .." To think our forefathers fought and died for the right for our nation to be a Christian nation--then to have this man say with pride that we are no longer that.

How far has this nation come from what our founding fathers intended it to be!

Posted by: Shayna Arnold | August 29, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Shayna:

Go back to your home on the Ann Coulter website.

YOU are making the founding fathers roll in their graves, I can feel the vibrations as I write this.

Posted by: kaattie | August 29, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

kaattie, fyi, you put your cell phone in your anus.

Posted by: Kate | August 29, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Kate:

Typical response to a serious statement: sleazy, ad womanem. The nonsense spewed by Shayna needed a rebuttal - the founding fathers established this nation to be free of religious INTOLERANCE. Clearly, Shayna has no idea what the Constitution says about dis-establishment of any one religion's influence.

Posted by: kaattie | August 29, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Best article I've ever read of yours, Richard Cohen! Straight-forward and without spin!

Posted by: Maerzie | August 29, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Excellent article!! Gotta be the best I've read yet!! Whoever thought my tiny, little home town of Claymont and the church I was baptised in, Holy Rosary, would ever get a mention on The Washington Post. Now when I tell people I'm from Delaware, they don't have to ask, "Is that in Pennsylvania?" I'm so proud and happy for Joe Biden. He made me cry, too, when he talked about his mom. And seeing her there, so proud of her son. It was a great moment. And a helluva speech!

Posted by: Emily | August 30, 2008 4:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm touched, really touched!
He has way to go though, to even begin to match McCain's decades of creative and maudlin exploitation of his "war hero" days.

Posted by: Amanda Greene | September 2, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think you need to be careful with Biden stories. You remember how he was train-wrecked in his presidential bid because it came out that he borrowed entire paragraphs of speeches from great political leaders, without attribution. When he bothered to change the stories, he ended up lying, as when he took a famous British speech ("First in 500 generations to graduate from college") and made out as if he came from a coal-mining family and that he was the first in his family to get a degree -- both false.

People -- including myself -- are surprised by Palin's selection, but why is no one talking about Biden's trouble with the truth that sunk him once already?

Posted by: Wayne | September 4, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse