Divided in Denver?

Contentious?

I know from divided Democrats. I was at Chicago in ’68. I saw Ted Kennedy begrudgingly shake Jimmy Carter’s hand in ’80. I was even at the Democrats' National Midterm Convention in Memphis in ’78, when liberal forces criticizing Carter’s centrism almost took control of the floor, which is why the Democrats have never had a Midterm Convention since. (Full disclosure: I was on staff at the time for the main organization of anti-Carter liberal forces.)

So, while some in the media have obsessed about the relative handful of disgruntled Hillaryites here this week in the Pepsi Center, all I can say is that this is my ninth Democratic convention (the first three as activist, the next six as journalist), and I have never seen more harmony, sweetness and light. Even at the 1996 convention, the only one I’ve been to where the delegates’ task was simply to renominate the incumbent, there was more discontent about Bill Clinton’s support for NAFTA than there is about any issue at this convention.

Last night, a slam-dunk for the Democrats, Bill Clinton delivered the most effective case for Barack Obama that anyone has yet made. The foreign policy divisions that used to rend the party have all but vanished; the economic rifts have diminished as the party has somewhat haltingly come together around a common economic strategy: promoting green jobs, the neo-WPA. Indeed, last night, I came upon such longtime trade hawks as the leaders of the Steelworkers and Clyde Prestowitz watching the evening’s proceedings in the company of Obama economic policy director Jason Furman, late of Robert Rubin’s Hamilton Project -- a group that the party’s labor left has been wary of for years.

Far from flying apart, the Denver Democrats are coming together. Judging by the polls, they need to.

By Harold Meyerson  | August 28, 2008; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  Meyerson  | Tags:  Harold Meyerson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Little Less Doubtful About Biden
Next: The Roads That Got Us Here

Comments

Dear American Citizens and the mass media of U.S.A.

As a concerned disabled American Veteran and American citizen, I consider it my duty and responsibility to bring following critical characteristics of so called Maverick McCain to you for proving me wrong or right.

"The citizens of the United States of America have the ultimate responsibility to elect the " Right Candidate with the right temperament" to lead our nation' to address our nations present and future moral, democratic, economic, educational, health care, energy, military, and foundational soul of our nation.

In my firm professional opinion that the media should help the common voter to explore and discuss following attributes of Hon. Senator McCain.

1. Does he have a calm, cool, and collected " temper " [ Presidential Temperament ]?
2. Does he have a sound and sustained "Judgment and Caliber"?
3. Does he have a reveal a presidential "Thought-fullness and togetherness" of purpose, policies, and positions?
4. Does he lot or little "ex-poser and exploitation" around Washington"?
5. Does he poses enough " Vigor, wisdom and Vision " for our Great-grand Nation?
6. Does he poses foreign policy exploit-es based on " American Values, Virtuous, Vastness"?
7. Does his campaign talk. slogans and ads are based of facts and free of fiction, deception, seduction, and unfair attacks?

If your answer to the above questions is yes then recommend and vote for him.

But in my professional. political, and personal opinion that vote is against the common interests majority of American people, against the world humanity, continuation of status qua and possibly dangerous world order.
Long live U.S.A and its democratic people and their common sense.
COL.. A.M. Khajawall [Ret] MD., Colonel, USAR / MC Combat Stress Control[Ret], Disabled American Veteran and Iraq Freedom team. { So called Grassroot leader for McCain from California}.

PS: Why Media and Democrates do not talk about Senator McCain's temper. Please google "McCain and Temper" review the results.

Posted by: COL. A.M.Khajawall [Ret] | August 28, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope it lasts!!!

Posted by: Mr Mergatroid | August 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This is a well balanced note on the Convention. I had the same kind of feeling while following its development. We certainly saw
much less grace and much more aggressiveness in previous conventions of both parties, as stressed by Mr. Meyerson. Comparative analysis, present in his note, helps us focus on these events with the requisite degree of fairness.

Posted by: G.P. Carvalho | August 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

There is a lack of visible dissention at the convention. Mr. Myerson says this is a good thing. Hmm...perhaps. But there is also another reasonable conclusion you could draw from the same events: that American political conventions have ceased to be an exercise in democracy and are now tightly controlled, scripted exercises in media presentation (or if you're cynycal, propoganda).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Correction: Meyerson attended all 9 Democratic conventions as an activist. He is not a journalist and writes like a petulant 8th grader.

Posted by: Anon | August 28, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

In retrospect the whole unity thing was a non-worry.

Posted by: DCDave | August 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

There will be unity because Democrats are not racists and only racists oppose Obama.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 3:48 PM

Oh, Really? And explain to us how that is NOT playing the race card? And does it not follow, by your logic, that anyone who opposed Clinton in the primaries was a misogynist?

Take your idiotic BS elsewhere, moron.

Posted by: NoVa | August 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

My mother always asked me "If your friends want to jump off a cliff does that mean you should?" Sounds to me that Myerson has partaken too much of the koolaid at the DNC. For me I know very little more of the democrats specific plans and strategies that this love fest worries me. Why? Everything is "Shazaam" logic i.e. I say it and it magically is so. I hope some adults get involved and soon!

Posted by: Frank | August 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Obama wants unity. He says he will bring it and he will. He will also finally make the rich pay there share. We don't need more old white men.

Posted by: iluvobama | August 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Dear iluvobama: Let's put your obvious racism to one side. Without those "old white men" Obama doesn't get the presidency nor does he get any "luv".

Posted by: leopold1 | August 28, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Dear leopold1: I'm voting for obama so I am not racist. Some old white men are smart, so they will vote obama, but they shouldnt be president.

Posted by: iluvobama | August 28, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard so much Hoooeey!! Hillary "I'm Hillary the great and I'm TERRIFIC!!" Bill, (The Boob) "I'm Bill the great and I'm TERRIFIC!!!" Obama, "I'm Obama the great and I'm TERRIFIC!!!" Biden, "I'm Joe regular guy and John Mccain is TERRIBLE!!"
Frank's right - gets some grown ups involved!!

Posted by: Jim | August 28, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I didnt post the whitey thing.

Posted by: iluvobama | August 28, 2008 4:44 PM

That's okay. Your racism is nonetheless on display for all to see, even if you don't know its there. It's kind of like a bald spot on the back of your head that you don't see but it obvious to everyone else.

Posted by: NoVa | August 28, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Lets be honest here. What does Obama really offer us but a dream (no experience, no resume, etc). He tells us he's the one to solve the problems and has a solution for most everything and want us to disarm. The only problem is Putin is licking his chops to deal with a rookie and put the US on its knees. He wants to undue what Reagan did and build the Russia empire again. Do you think he will disarm? Don't think so... In fact, to help things along (Obama) he's blamming the GOP for his invasion of Georgia. If the next president is not tough on him God help us when Russian tanks begin to expand west bound. Do you think that Obama will dance the mombata with him to appease him?

Posted by: letsbefair | August 28, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

In all seriousness, though -

Jim, Frank - if you two are having trouble with the 'lack of logic' at the DNC, just wait to feast on the sparse table of thought-provoking statements that are guaranteed to be laid out next week in St. Paul.

Lacking specifics? Go look at any number of past speeches, or better yet, Obama's campaign website. He's got specifics to your heart's content.

'Shazaam logic'? 'I say it is so, and it is magically so'? Let's review:

"We're going to ar against Saddam because he's in league with Al-Qaeda." (Hm...try again)
"We're going to war in Iraq because they've got weapons of mass destruction!" (Ooh, so close, but...no)
"We're going to war in Iraq because he wanted to kill my Dad, because Dick's old company wants a billion-dollar contract, and because my oil friends want a piece of the pie!" (Eureka!)

Posted by: paddyboy | August 28, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Col Khajawall:

I did what you said, and googled "McCain" and "temper" - 794,000 results.

Then I googled "Obama" and "temper", and got 1,020,000 results.

Strong work there, buddy.

Posted by: Heath | August 28, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

IT IS TIME!

Time to take back America from criminals, lobbiests, treasonous outers of covert CIA agents, forgers of war-mongering faux-evidence, liars at the Presidential podium, criminals in the justice department, and unqualified political appointees running our public agencies.

Its time to reject those who mouth their ideology-as-policy, and time to inject science and reality back into policy.

Its time to re-build America's greatness and stature in the world.

Vote Obama for President in '08!

Posted by: JBE | August 28, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I did what you said, and googled "McCain" and "temper" - 794,000 results.

Then I googled "Obama" and "temper", and got 1,020,000 results.

Strong work there, buddy.
---------------------------------------

I looked up "candidate", and "surrendered to the enemy" and I only got hits for McCain.

Posted by: K Ackermann | August 28, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I looked up "missed the point" and got "K Ackermann"

Posted by: Heath | August 28, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Mr Myerson --

If all is sweetness and light, then how in the heck do you explain the fact that a discredited, cranky, dysfunctional candidate is nearly tied rather than being 20 or so points behind?

This is not a disingenuous question. In 2004 we had a flawed candidate and a new war. But in 2000, we should have won not by a few points but decisively.

At some point the Democratic party is going to have to come to grips with the fact that the GOP has an inexplicable, emotional hold on many, many Americans. Irrational, sure -- but very real. We cannot defeat them with arguments or even by pointing out what a disaster GOP rule has been.

Posted by: Bob | August 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

We should be so lucky that the division is only in Denver, but, sadly, it's in all of America - particularly along the racial line and as expected.

Posted by: DividedAmerica | August 28, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

if we were writing a novel the events could not have come out any better. we have the hero's journey all laid out for us. this last 8 years has been the most hellish and most baffling time ever yet here we are with a chance to turn our destructive tide. i only hope 43 and 43.5 get their just due and matching handcuffs to boot.

Posted by: preAmerikkkan | August 28, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

EMPEROR OBAMA is ready for you all to bow down!!!

Posted by: Jeff Crocket | August 28, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

There is great fear in some parts of these United States today. That fear is that someone other than a white male will be elected President of the United States.

Ah the fear! Hide our women! Send our children to England for protection! Our position of privilege is in jeopardy! Our minimum wage jobs will be lost! Our women will want equal pay for equal work! Our children will marry outside the pure white race. Yes, there is great fear.

There is only one hope. And that hope is 72 year old John McCain.

From one of his seven (or eight or eleven) homes, old man John McCain will walk into our lives in his $520 dollar shoes to save us. He will leave his wife's private jet and do battle with the black man. Old man John survived some time in a POW camp some 40 years ago and he has earned the right forever to battle, to win, and to spend wife number two's 100 million inheiritance. And old man John is not afraid to tell you that. Why old man John McCain will keep our sons, daughters, spouses, and friends in uniform for maybe 100 years in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Georgia, and any other place his little old heart desires.

Old man John McCain, our great hope for more of the past.

Posted by: Our Hope for the Past | August 28, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

A female co-worker told me how she sat and cried with regret as Hillary CLinton gave her speech at the convention.

The media continues to not recognize the dispair of American women who saw not a historical moment but history repeating itself again.

I cannot bring myself to watch Obama strut around his opulent stage - he is just another oppressor who is happy to be a man in America.

Posted by: Not Together | August 28, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I googled heath and dead and I got 7,180,000 hits.

Posted by: Fred | August 28, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations America on a very interesting Political contest. You will get the leader that you deserve this time just like you got Bush, the leader that you deserved, because the leader is just like the people. I see that you are in decline as a global power and your election will probably reinforce that reality. good luck, my friends.
thank you for this interesting article.

Posted by: Europe Calling | August 28, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

With the divisions gone we can elect Obama and replace the merit based society with the grievance and entitlement based society.

Posted by: hipshot | August 28, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

wow! some of these comments (most people who are against Obama) are mean spirited. why is that? Jesus says love thy enemy?

Posted by: jaleh | August 28, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

(Eds, this post contains a racial slur, but I'm only using it to expose some factual information... please don't delete this post)

Google "McCain" + "gook." That will be a fun afternoon. So much for foreign policy credentials.

Posted by: KMB | August 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I am not dead.

Posted by: Heath | August 28, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"How long is the Beast allowed to have authority in Revelations? "

Revelations Chapter 13 tells us that it is 42 months...

... Almost a four-year term of a Presidency...

According to The Book of Revelations the anti-Christ is:

"...a man, in his 40's, of MUSLIM descent, who will deceive the nations with persuasive language, and have a MASSIVE Christ-like appeal....the prophecy says that people will flock to him and he will promise false hope and world peace, and when he is in power, he will destroy everything..."

Do we recognize this description?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even if you don't believe in the Bible or it's teachings, how can we ignore the fact that this man has such close ties to the Muslim faith and it's beliefs?
And that the Pastor from his church preached hate against America?--No matter how much he may denounce him now, this was his spiritual leader for many years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a recent news broadcast, Barack Obama made this statement with pride, 'We are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . .." To think our forefathers fought and died for the right for our nation to be a Christian nation--then to have this man say with pride that we are no longer that.

How far has this nation come from what our founding fathers intended it to be!

Posted by: Shayna Arnold | August 29, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@ S.Arnold

I apologise to you for my post on the Capeheart post. I took you seriously. Your post the last, so far, on this tread show you merely to be a Republican Agit-prop specialist. Saying to you the Obama is a Christian would be a waste of time. Again apologies.

Posted by: A Hardwick | August 29, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

jaleh, Obama has never said love thy enemy.

We still don't know if he joined in the God Damn America refrain.

Posted by: Chuck | August 29, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Dear concerned citizens of America and mass media of the U.S.A.

As a concerned disabled American Veteran and American citizen, I consider it my duty and responsibility to address the following critical issues facing the voters of our Greatgrand nation, the United States of America [USA].

The citizens of the United States of America [USA] have the ultimate power and responsibility to elect the Right Ticket with the right joint "temperament, judgment, and statesmanship" to lead our nation as well as change our nation's present and future moral, political, economic, educational, health care, energy, military, and foundational soul.

In my firm professional, personal, and political opinion, the media should help the common voter to explore and discuss the following attributes of the present Republican and Democratic presidential slates:

1. Does the joint ticket have a calm, cool, and collected " temper and impulse" [Presidential Temperament]?
2. Does each ticket have sound and sustained "Judgment and Caliber"?
3. Does each ticket have a "presidential depth and degree" in regard to their purpose, policies, and positions?
4. Does each ticket have adequate, "understanding and knowledge" of workings around Washington"?
5. Does each ticket have enough "vigor, wisdom and Vision" for the future of our beloved Great-grand Nation?
6. Does each ticket possess enough joint foreign policy experience and ex-poser based on "American Values, Virtues, Vastness, and strong soul"?
7. Are their campaign talk, slogans, ads, plans, and programs based on facts and are they free of fear, fiction, frivolous labels, unfair attacks, negativity, and impulsivity?

If your answer to a majority of the above questions is yes, I suggest you vote for that ticket. As a Independent registered voter I have decided to vote for Obama-Biden ticket. I am sure they will protect our national security, Strong's, stamina and strong soul. Rebuild our nation from bottom up in all areas of need, OBAMA-BIDEN ticket will once again restore and rebuild our global standing with the use of maximum international humane diplomacy and minimal force if and when indicated.

Yours sincerely,

COL. A.M. Khajawall [Ret] MD., Forensic psychiatrist, Colonel, US-AR / MC Combat Stress Control[Ret], Disabled American Veteran and Iraq Freedom team.

PS: After googling McCain and temper did you read the all contents. It is content that is at the issue not the numbers.

Posted by: COL. A.M.Khajawall [Ret] | August 31, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse