Which America Will Prevail: Old or New?

I’m within three years of John McCain’s age. He celebrates his 72nd birthday on Friday. My own birthday is Sept. 20. But age, I demurely say, has nothing to do with where we fit on the calendar.

The presidency of the United States is made or broken by the vision, intelligence, character and devotion of the officeholder. If he or she plays by all the rules, looks out for the least among us and takes care to do no harm to the populace, the leader is likely to enter the annals of American history as a storied figure. That’s the significance of the position where McCain and Barack Obama find themselves today.

Academics and self-styled intellectuals will tell you otherwise. They will cite great events that could have turned the country in the right or wrong direction. Events, not people, determine the future, they say. But that’s what they are paid to do. Their reputations, tenure and future paychecks count on it.

Now comes Barack Obama. He has a pedigree not of their choosing, a manner not of their making and a worldview not inherited from their esteemed fathers.

Obama spoke tonight to an audience in Denver and to a national TV audience more like himself. The viewers and listeners hardly resembled my sour generation, which sneers to this day at everything that dares to stray far from their understanding of how the world around them should be viewed.

And so here it is: the contest we have all been waiting for. Old America, for years smugly in charge of all they have worshipped as holy and right in Washington, vs. Barack’s New America, which claims God as a friend and America as a hope to be saved.

Which side will prevail?

By Colbert King  | August 28, 2008; 11:53 PM ET
Categories:  King  | Tags:  Colbert King
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lost in Translation
Next: Where's the Music?

Comments

Amen...I think many people are forgetting that huge swaths of voters, age 18-35, have grown up in a multicultural, diverse world and we embrace it. People, your age, frankly, as you implied, are stuck in your ways and want to see the world as you've always seen it. I think that's the great trendline of this election no reflected in the headlines.

Posted by: Mark | August 29, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

There are many reasons why the forces of progress will win in this election. And there are reasons why the old world might be successful in preventing the changes that we need.

But life, like love, is not rational, and there are special forces at play this season.

We have a candidate we care about and believe in, a platform we are committed to, one that represents a vision for a new America - with peace, prosperity, health care, education so we can grow, and energy independece - we want to live in.

Ain't no stopping us now.

Posted by: Deep Blue | August 29, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I split the difference betwwen the two on age.

I've decided that the "youngsters" deserve their chance. Tha last few years have been squandered.

The only quote attributed to Al Gore I'll ever use:

"before he entered the White House, Abraham Lincoln’s experience in elective office consisted of eight years in his state legislature in Springfield, Ill., and one term in Congress –- during which he showed the courage and wisdom to oppose the invasion of another country, that was popular when it started, but later condemned by history."

Posted by: Republican VN Era Vet | August 29, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

The New America will prevail. Barack Obama made the sale and closed the deal tonight. He is an extraordinary politician and I hope he makes a great President. We could sure use one right about now.

Posted by: Mary | August 29, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

This speech was a masterful piece of chess, every piece was moved to put McCain and the Republican party on defense. I just hope they continue on the attack, respectfully, on issue, with counter punches to lies and innuendo. Hopefully the financial reserves of Obama are sufficient to counter the negative attacks of the 501c3s. Gauntlet is down. Let's see. A country that worries about Barney Smith before Smith Barney, that made me smile. Soldiers that fight together are not red or blue, just American. I found my liberal Americanism in Europe as some their proceed to tell me how evil we are. Yes we make mistakes, but on the whole the world is far better because United States exist. Obama actually made me feel that again tonight. Let's go America, lets show the world how truly great we are.

Posted by: ksamuels | August 29, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

So all of a sudden because of Obama, we have God on our sides?! Isn't Obama god? Didn't he say that his nomination is the "hope of the world"? You're trying to tell me, an African American, that Obama understands the basic tenets of our faith? I've heard that he smokes and I've seen him on tv at bars with beer in his hand. That doesn't mesh well with the vast majority of true conservatives. His stance on abortion is atrocious and the last thing I heard was God (the real one) abhors the shedding of innocent blood but I know, we're supposed to let Obama slide because some people seem to think he gives great speeches. No, that's not it: it's because he's black. I will not support any one because they are black, white, or purple. I will vote for whoever's history shows consistent loyalty to their values and mine and THAT knows no color boundaries. There are quite a few African Americans that feel the way I do and they are starting to voice this more and more. No speech can motivate me to vote for Obama. That die was cast when he didn't do much when he was a state senator and because he hasn't done much in his current position. Are you going to call me racist? I'm blacker than Obama. The fact that this guy who has accomplished NOTHING and has been elevated to the level he has really bothers me. Sure, he has charisma but so too did David Koresh. Dr. Martin Luther King would be ashamed that you all are only excited about the color of his skin and are ignoring the lack of content of character. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: BDev | August 29, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to agree with you but everyone says anyone as old as you is a babbling idiot, so you must be wrong.

Posted by: Lodie | August 29, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Old ....and New. These bumper sticker terms convert such complex realities into easy to swallow pills. While its simplistic nature has its appeal, it is this sort of jargon that is often too elementary for an accurate portrayal of the topic of discussion. Furthermore, it is almost always used for manipulation. It says, "Here, I've done the thinking for you, just circle the one that immediately makes sense."

Colbert King makes up his rules and presents you with an A or B question that has an assumed answer. Who wants Old? Do you want old? No you want new, new is always better, so pick new. This is a life philosophy of new over old. But is it sound?

Somethings are old because its made sense and has stood the test of time. The old Star Wars are better than the New ones. Old coke better than new coke. Silly examples but the point is made, that this must not be a rule of thumb.
Are the current states of "every" country better then its old selves? Certainly not. There can be some worse new ideas of doing things. One must dig deeper, and think.

Obamania must keep itself in check, and not get swept away in "emotion". Forget what "sounds" good. What is he saying? Is it realistic? What are the hidden harms in his policies? Are the "new" harms gonna be worse than the "old" harms?

Ironically, as for Colbert King, one could argue that this simplistic "new over old" philosophy is childish, or underdeveloped and thus would be cast under the "way of old" under its own assumed set of rules.

Posted by: Kelly Carr | August 29, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse

I am ready for the change, but where is it? Government run health care? Great idea -- the government can't run education, so lets give them health care. Just because it is failing in Europe and Canada doesn't mean we can't do it. It's not a new idea, it's just a bad idea. Alternative energy? I'm all for it. In fact the government has been investing in it and subsidizing it for 35 years now. Just another old idea that has brought us nothing. The only viable 'alternative' energy is nuclear which has been fought by the environmentalists for 40 years now. I am glad that Obama has joined McCain in supporting Nuclear. Is that a new idea?

So I now see all of Jimmy Carter's policies being trotted out, but now they are 'new'. Even tire inflation and thermostat setbacks are back again. Please tell me about the new ideas. I don't see any.

Thanks

Posted by: Dave | August 29, 2008 2:37 AM | Report abuse

The times they are a-changing... eventually change will prevail, even if Obama does not. Change will come.

Posted by: MAC | August 29, 2008 3:03 AM | Report abuse

While it was a nice inspiring speech, as part of the "evil" older generation I fear for how this blatant disrespect for the wisdom & efforts of their elders will play out. My ancestors came to the US 400 years ago & while I may question some of their actions, I appreciate what they have done to produce the America that we all enjoy.

I would never automatically buy into the mantra that new is better than old. I remember having those thoughts when I was young, but years taught me that the actions of my elders were usually well-founded based on experience and wisdom only gained with the passage of years.

I fear that Obama is encouraging a very disturbing characteristic of today's youth - disrespect for elders.

Obama mentioned all the groups he promises to protect, but he left one out - the elderly. Why? If all things old are as evil as he portrays, how does he intend to treat our ever increasing aging population?

I liked much of what he said & I'm not wild about McCain, but his proposal that all things new are the only way to go makes me very uneasy.

Posted by: DC | August 29, 2008 3:03 AM | Report abuse

The commodity of fear was not a portion of this individual's message. If we can shape our future without resorting to instilling fear in our generations to come, then my vote is already cast. America has the resiliance to accept change, and the world will be on notice of how we precieve ourselves as a nation, based on the outcome of this process of concensus. Focus on what is good for America, because ultimately that is what this is al about. "Yeah.. I'm an old guy"

Posted by: Jared | August 29, 2008 3:28 AM | Report abuse

Obama has, in my humble opinion, around 20% probability to prevail over the old vested interests/policies in supertanker America - don't get me wrong, the highest in recent times. He may even succeed. However, as is sometimes also the definition of American society, there is a finite, but distinct, probability that some nut-bag a few standard deviations away from the norm will off him after being elected.

Posted by: AP | August 29, 2008 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Call me a heretic, but how about this controversial thought:

Voting age should be restricted at both ends, perhaps 18 to 70, given several facts:
1. People past this age can not be trusted with making sober decisions about their and their neighbour’s future.

2. You can not explain to someone brought up on pre World War II values, what it’s like to live, work, survive, etc. in the 21 st Century. It is just impossible.

I could go on, but won’t. Just take a minute to think it through. Can you trust a 72 year old man to be a contemporary, independent, clever leader of the free world, regardless of battle credentials?

It Mr. W, was labelled “too stupid”, then my guess would be that in a parallel universe, Mr. Mc will be “too worn-out”.

Posted by: Dr. Gizmo | August 29, 2008 3:52 AM | Report abuse

DC just to point out an obvious correction to a statement in your post - Barrack Obama did actually speak directly to protecting the elderly.

"Now is the time to change our bankruptcy laws, so that your pensions are protected ahead of CEO bonuses; and the time to protect Social Security for future generations."

Posted by: Pedro | August 29, 2008 4:21 AM | Report abuse

I want the old USA of Lincoln to prevail.

Posted by: Gary E. Masters | August 29, 2008 5:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't think that the issue with McCain is his age . The issue with McCain is that he is very clearly Ga Ga . All I can say to McCain is - prove very clearly - very unequivocally that this is not the case - as many recent public outings have clearly shown that it is the case . Don't forget - it's the public that are interviewing the candidates for the job of the President and they must look below the surface - they must see what is actually there . If McCain avoids the public scrutiny then it can be concluded that he doesn't have what it takes . Obama has clearly shown that he has what it takes - in all that he's done - all his achievements - and all that he has said . If McCain is elected it is his VP who will be President .

Posted by: Kim | August 29, 2008 6:19 AM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope that all young Americans aged 18-23 will get up and vote vote vote on November 4th - hopefully for the Democrats. They will surely lose patience with all those boring TV anchors and smiley faces prattling away with their sycophantic or cynical nonsense on TV talk shows.
I sincerely hope that kids will vote for the man and the party that will build a new USA, one that understands geopolitics and proper diplomacy, and one that will not start wars because a Defense department wants a test range for its latest military inventions.
I think the kids will be right, and the old-timers wrong. They will view the expensive TV commercials as a corny waste of money. Having a goofy President might have been kinda funny for 4 years, but for 4 extra years was definitely embarassing. Now there is a candidate who is not only cool but obviously intelligent, a good listener,a good orator, gets advice and backing from seriously experienced people, is obviously not a millionaire, and - last but not least - somebody who can represent the US with dignity at international summits, conferences etc.

The rest of the world has its fingers firmly crossed - please, USA, get it right this time. The Rest of the World is aching for regime change. After the mess of Iraq, broken promises in Africa and failure to ratify the Kyoto Protocol, we deserve it.

Posted by: CW | August 29, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Mr King: For me, the best part of the speech
was after I had turned off the bedroom light and gone to bed, and my spouse came in to tell me Pat Buchanan was all but crying.
Case closed.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Many Americans will vote for their own short term gains (a quite natural way to vote), not realising how much more there is to gain if they take a more broader view. The world would like Barak Obama as the next US President but we don't get a vote. In some ways we should do as America still leads the world politically, financially and militarily and decisions made in those arenas affect the world. Where the US leads the world follows (whether we like it or not), so come on America, vote for change, progress and a better world!

Posted by: Chris United Kingdom | August 29, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

"For this command which I enjoin on you today is not too mysterious and remote for you.

It is not up in the sky, that you should say, 'Who will go up in the sky to get it for us and tell us of it, that we may carry it out?'

Nor is it across the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross the sea to get it for us and tell us of it, that we may carry it out?'

No, it is something very near to you, already in your mouths and in your hearts; you have only to carry it out.

Here, then, I have today set before you life and prosperity, death and doom.

I call heaven and earth today to witness against you: I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse.

Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live. . .

Posted by: Bible Belt | August 29, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Policies like motherhood and applepie from the left. How is he going to pay for it ? Please don't give me the old chestnuts about eliminating government waste. The US has a huge deficit and the Fed interest rate cuts will probably cause the worst of the inflation in a year or two. I know it's all very romantic but where's the money coming from to pay for it ?

Posted by: Clive UK | August 29, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Dave, there isn't another country in the world that wants to change from their health care system to ours. Sure, their wealthiest citizens all want to come here. That's what we do best - the most excellent care at the most exorbitant price. But for the regular needs of the average citizen, government-regulated medicine works better everywhere else. Socialized med countries get better care than we do, and they particularly get more care for the money. Healthier citizens are more productive. It's a win-win. There is no reason to believe we could not run such a system at least as well as the worst of the European systems, and even the worst is better than ours for the lower 95% of the population.

This is not an old-new issue. It's just a practical one.

Posted by: Nomo Stew | August 29, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

And speaking about media manipulation, has anyone seen the spin that Fox News printed this morning?? They aren't even posting comments submitted to their article, most likely because even their own viewers cannot find credible fault with Obama...

Posted by: Peter Litwin | August 29, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm 65, a vet who served '65-'67, and I've normally been a Republican but I have to break with "tradition" on this one. I don't want a war-mongering hawk in the white house for another 4 years. I'll take my chances with Obama thank you. The republicans will ask the classic questions about how will he pay for it, but they should ask how John Kennedy paid for our first steps on the moon.

Last night Obama hit every target, from abortion rights to gun control to education to foreign policy and more. Most republicans were basically stunned when he talked about McCain's temperament, which they all know has the shortest fuse in the senate.

And on top of all this there's the Georgia thing... McCain's advisor being a paid lobbyist for Georgia, and claims for two weeks now that Georgia was pushed into stomping on the breakaway states by the USA and perhaps by McCain's operatives! Of course the white house is denying it... but its been mentioned on talk radio since it happened.

I can't even imagine why anyone would vote for 4 more years of this nonsense.

Posted by: Another Mike | August 29, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I am over 10 years older than John McCain.
It is not the age it is what is left of the brain. One still needs some physical capaibilities and I have plenty. John McCain has a mental problem and we all know that. I am a world war II vet. , that does not make me qualified for any office. Well it is almost 8 am , time to take a nap.

Posted by: westexacan | August 29, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Kelly Carr writes: "Old ....and New. These bumper sticker terms convert such complex realities into easy to swallow pills. While its simplistic nature has its appeal, it is this sort of jargon that is often too elementary for an accurate portrayal of the topic of discussion."

Then Kelly says: "Somethings are old because its made sense and has stood the test of time. The old Star Wars are better than the New ones. Old coke better than new coke."

So much for complexity, eh Kelly?

(RN Note: Old coke tastes better than new coke but both are bad for you, esp. if a woman, it demineralizes your bones.)

Kelly Carr, For something that is both old and good, and not too complex for anyone who took high school civics---how about that good old-fashioned system of checks and balances, limitations on executive power, how about the US Constitution prevailing as the law of the land? How about going back to the good old days when, for example torture was quite simply understood, not made out to be complex and dubious: "causing organ failure or death" ? Those are the good old days and that is the kind of old-fashioned stuff I could really go for.
Kelly Green

Posted by: Kelly Green | August 29, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

King is broadly right about old and new in this context. The choice can be boiled down to two roads to walk:

Retreat with John McCain into the old century, a fantasy world of nostalgia for a mythical past and a violent fear of the outside world..

or

March on with Obama into the new century, in an uncertain world, where adaptability and dynamism are America's best assets and best chance of restoration.

Posted by: Harkadahl | August 29, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

To Colbert:
This new America already exists in the minds of many and has existed for a while now. Perhaps what you are talking about is that the rest of America finally come on board. Let's hope so.

Posted by: Tipping point | August 29, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Question to Clive UK, How is Bush paying for the IRAQ WAR 12 a biilion a month ? he is borrowing from China.
Don't give me the crap about who is paying for his policies, once you can justify borrowing 800 biilion dollars to invade country who did nothing to you.

Posted by: Tony | August 29, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

BDev: Thank God someone finally said it. I am sick and tired of people voting or supporting if you will because of color and race. 90+% of African-Americans are voting Barack. This blows me aways since they are very religious. Aborting babies cut and dry is horrific. It is so casually thrown around. Some stupid girl can go out and get knocked up and go easily get an abortion. Go ahead and teach our children this what a society we will become.

I would love to see a man of color and a woman in the white house just as much as anyone else. If John McCain was Black I would still vote McCain. Would the rest?

Nomo Stew: I can't imagine that our culture known for it's poor eating habits and weight problems will all of a sudden listen to Doctors telling them that they are unhealthy and need to change their diet.

I am sure so many will have all this extra money now to buy healthy foods and have money for fitness like gyms and such. Having access to healthcare is one thing do something about your health is another. Healthcare is so high because of people who CHOOSE to be unhealthy.

Hell the people who can afford healthcare don't listen to the Doctors. All the other European Cultures have socialized health care but their gas is extremely high. It has to be paid by something.

I'm sorry but I will not vote for a president that will allow schools to teach my children about being Gay. They already took prayer out, what next?

I disagree about older generations not knowing what it is like to live in the 21st century. Sure they may not be as tech savvy but they went through many wars and they always did what it took to support a family. They are living in the 21st now are they not times are tough for them too.

As a 28 year old w/m it is easy to bash "W" and jump on the "Canidate who will fix all" and "Does no wrong" bandwagon. Not me. I am sure I will be called rascist for this too.

Posted by: NateD | August 29, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Judging by recent comments by Republicans, I would say McCain is not going to pick Romney. The idea of a young charismatic 44 year old woman is nonsense considering attacks against Obama for being the same. Lieberman now looks like a frontrunner with the unconventional gossip. Huckabee is probably the choice of the religious right. Lieberman will lose over 10% of the pro lifers, while Huckabee will lose moderates and really is not qualified to take over if McCain can no longer be POTUS. If the spin on unconventional is true, my guess is Lieberman. If not, then it will be Romney. Huckabee will lock down Texas, give McCain Florida and possibly a corn belt state or two, Romney will give him Nevada, New Hampshire and possibly Michigan, Lieberman may give him only Maine and Florida, but can hold his own against Biden in a debate, whereas the others will lose handily. I think it is all spin and Romney will be the veep.

Posted by: Jimbo | August 29, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about who the Republicans choose for their vp nominee, jimbo. Joe Biden will mop the floor with any of them. I cant wait to see that debate.

Posted by: Ginger Blue | August 29, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Barack failed to touch and change the minds of Hillary supporters that saw more of the same: empty words and a young and inexperienced individual. It would had been better to end the convention with Bill Clinton's speech that was powerful and it was the closest attempt to change Hillary's supporters minds to support Barack.

Unfortunately for Barack, his weak and hollow speech was full of promises, typical of false politicians that say whatever they have to say to get elected and then do what they really believe in.

Hillary supporters that love our country have no other choice but to vote for John McCain a true patriot moderate conservative that will govern from the center in a similar way as Hillary Clinton would.

At the end of the democratic convention the words of Hillary Clinton resound for her supporters:
No Way, No How, NObama!

Posted by: Manolete | August 29, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

manolete should know bull.

Posted by: beefeater | August 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"How long is the Beast allowed to have authority in Revelations? "

Revelations Chapter 13 tells us that it is 42 months...

... Almost a four-year term of a Presidency...

According to The Book of Revelations the anti-Christ is:

"...a man, in his 40's, of MUSLIM descent, who will deceive the nations with persuasive language, and have a MASSIVE Christ-like appeal....the prophecy says that people will flock to him and he will promise false hope and world peace, and when he is in power, he will destroy everything..."

Do we recognize this description?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even if you don't believe in the Bible or it's teachings, how can we ignore the fact that this man has such close ties to the Muslim faith and it's beliefs?
And that the Pastor from his church preached hate against America?--No matter how much he may denounce him now, this was his spiritual leader for many years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How far has this nation come from what our founding fathers intended it to be!

Posted by: Shayna Arnold | August 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

No doubt our country has produced a number of truly great leaders. In terms of his intelligence, passion, and commitment to what is best for the *people* of this country, Barrack Obama is of the kind who comes along rarely, if even once a century. I dare say that when history looks upon Obama, he will be recognized as the self-made American he is, whose intellect, vision, drive, and power to inspire stand at the level of Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and John F. Kennedy. We are profoundly privileged to have, in our own lifetimes, one of those individuals who is willing and ready to lead this country to greatness once again. (And we are precisely at the crossroads. Should we instead shame our children by our weakness and re-elect the greed and fear-mongering of McCain / Bush / Cheney, we will have no one to blame but ourselves--for allowing the regressive special interests to drive this country into the cold ground. And we will simply no longer deserve the great country we inherited. At stake are nothing less than the aspirations of Jefferson, Lincoln, and Kennedy.)

Posted by: patmac | August 29, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Shayna, I looked for your quote in the Bible but I can't find it. Chapter and verse, please.

Posted by: Bible Belt | August 29, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

it should be against the law to have a repub running for pres.tell me who besides a repub would listen at repub.somebody help me.your repub speech will be as follow there's no need for change look at how far we've come in the last eight years.

Posted by: frank | August 29, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe all the salivating over Hussein Obama's speech. Pure bull----.This guy is as phony as a three dollar bill.All these socialist promises. I am going to do this, I am going to do that. The gall to compare himself to be as good a CIC as the hero McCain,when this idiot,Obama, never served or knows anything about the military.It was a disgusting display of his robots drunk on his cool aid. I want to ask all you Obama cool aid drinkers to tell me how he will fulfill all his phony promises, if the Dems. after the election do not have a majority of 60 seats.They never will reach that number this election and the Rep. will stop any socialist agenda of Hussein Obama.Read Krauthammer's latest column and that tells it all about the lying, phony Hussein Obama!!!!!!!

Posted by: frankv | August 29, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

for all you journalist out there the repub are going to need your votes

Posted by: frank | August 29, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Shayna, it's "Revelation," not "Revelations." Second, Islam wasn't around when Revelation was written, so that quote obviously is not true.
While many of our Founding Fathers were indeed Christian, many others (Franklin, Washington, Jefferson, Madison, et al.) were Deist students of the Enlightenment. There's a big difference. True, the *colonies* were founded by religious Christians (esp. in New England and Pennyslvania), but keep in mind that over a century passed between the formation of the colonies and the birth of the United States. And what did the Christian colonists do?
Burn women who they thought were witches.

Posted by: Omar | August 29, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Frankv: Thanks for sharing the source of your brainwashing, you sheep. McCain is no hero, crashing (what was it 3?) planes, riding on his father's coat tails into the navy, lowest 5 percentile; cheating on his disabled wife with, and then marrying, an heiress, telling the the Christian crowd he's been forgiven and saved (lucky him!). Calling Mccain a hero truly denigrates those who really were heroes.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Frank, Krauthammer is a racist idiot. The only reason you don't see that is probably because you're one as well. Evidence: a fixation on highlighting Hussein as Senator Obama's middle name. All you want to do is spread xenophobia and prejudice.
Also, robots don't drink Kool Aid.

Posted by: Omar | August 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that clarification, Omar.
They brought slaves, too.

BTW, I see where McCain has chosen a woman as his vp candidate. Lotsa luck with that!
As a middle-aged white woman in a swing state, I know the difference between a stateswoman in a pantsuit and lipstick on a pig. Go Hillary! I will be voting WITH HILLARY, FOR OBAMA.

Posted by: Witchy Woman | August 29, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I see where McCain has chosen a woman as his vice pres. candidate. As a middle-age white woman in a swing state, I know the difference
between a stateswoman in a pantsuit and lipstick on a pig. And I will be voting WITH Hillary, FOR Obama.

Posted by: Witchy Woman | August 29, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm ashamed of myself for neglecting to mention slavery. Thanks, Witchy.

With the addition of Gov. Palin to the ticket, this is going to be quite a race!
Although I'm a fervent Obama supporter, I do recognize the heroic deed that Sen. McCain performed when he elected to stay behind as a POW in Vietnam. While I don't believe that military experience alone (I'm an airman myself) automatically makes you better equipped to handle national security, his honor and integrity cannot be dismissed as I've seen many Democrats do.

However, it really boils down to the role of the federal government in our lives (forgetting about state and local governments). Sen. McCain cannot see that the elimination of federal regulation and oversight is what led to the poor response after Katrina, the corruption within the Justice Department, and the housing and banking troubles. Sen. McCain cannot see that raising taxes for those who can afford it is not a bad thing.

There has only been one president who actually practiced Reaganomics. Reagan didn't do it, and the first Bush didn't. Only our current president did and no one in their right mind can say that we are better off now than we were 8 years ago.

Posted by: Omar | August 29, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Shayna and Bible Belt:
of course that quote is not in Revelation.
There were no muslims when Revelation was written.

The quote most possible comes from Nostradamus. Try to find Nostradamus in your Bible....

How could you guys be so dumb?

Obama Rocks!

Posted by: JAVIER | August 29, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm hearing what I'm hearing from some of you. You say "Obama has done nothing" and that "he doesn't represent christian values"....what does represent christian values? The hundreds of thousands of civilians killed in Iraq the last few years? An Afghanistan that is literally not a country but a wild place ready to disintegrate into total civil war?
The fact that the poor of our country are totally ignored while we spend trillions on foreign wars? The fact the oil companies make record profits while gas is charged at cutthroat prices so that the working poor can not afford to buy it? Please. You may be "blacker than obama" but that doesn't mean you understand where he's coming from any better than I can understand how John McCain can look himself in the mirror after sacrificing all of his independence to win the nomination. He's sold his sould to corporate America. We can't do this any more. I'm pinning my hopes on HOPE. I'm believing the guy who says he wants to CHANGE the game. Stop hating. Start BELIEVING like I'm betting you once did.

Posted by: brad barbee | August 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Javier: I have Stong's Exhausting Concordance, and I am plumb wore out looking for Nostradamus in there. Read the Bible!
I know that muslim stuff is in there, and when I find it I will post it. If I have to reads revelations from cover to cover I will find it and then you will see. You see, I really do know my Bible.

Posted by: Bible Belt | August 29, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the divide being between old and new but rather between idealism and pragmatism. The most illustrative point is the McCain Kennedy effort at dealing with illegal immigration. While both the idealistic points of "do not separate a mother and her child" and "do not reward lawbreakers" have validity, in the nitty gritty real world of lawmaking, people must get down to the ugly business of political horsetrading to get things done.

So, while Sens. Kennedy and McCain were attending to the sausage making, Sen. Obama felt free to walk away on "principle". It doesn't bode well for his ability to deliver on any of the lofty promises he made last night.

Posted by: Ed | August 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey BDev. Just exactly who is the "real God"? You've met him face to face,right? And who the hell are you to determine what Dr. King would say? You may be blacker than Obama, but you're dummer than dirt. Check out the history of Mr. Lincoln before he became president. Go ahead and vote for McBush and his token white girl sidekick and then see where you...and all Americans no matter what race...are in four years.

Posted by: verdugo60 | August 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Colbert King is 100 times the man John McCain is, and kids us all about whether he is old and inflexible. As an avid reader of Professor King, we know he has an open mind and thinks and writes thoughtfully, using the new to season his wisdom and experience.

But to rely on the young to elect us to a new time is now, and has always been risky. I am 15 years junior to Mr. King, and walked in the snow in New Hampshire in 1972 and 1976, after losing badly in 1968 .. the first year we young people were going to transform the electoral landscape. Instead, in all three of those elections, it was more like the deluded folk on the barricades in Les Miserables ... we waved the banners, but no one left the cafes to come and fight.

The young people of 2008, full of inspiration from Senator Obama as I am, need to show us that they have what it takes to make a difference in an election. If they just talk a big game, but do not show up as so many of their age cohort have done in past elections, nothing will change. If they pass on voting, as young people have done in the millions for generations since the voting age was lowered to 18, it will not matter how many YouTube videos they upload, nothing will change.

I'm calling your bluffs -- do you really mean it this time? We thought we had that special fire in the belly in 68 and 72, but no one came to our party -- a horrible failure to deliver at two important times in history. We won in 76 only because of Nixon's legacy, nothing to be especially proud of in competitive elections. We lost most recently in 2000 and 2004 with voting numbers for young voters in levels lower than any other age group.

Walk the walk. It's not that easy.

Posted by: AlsoOlder | August 29, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Old and tired versus new and energized? gee, wonder who will win that race?

Posted by: PreAmerikkkan | August 29, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

nbytbism9v 9a5cb1s7z9v83j [URL=http://www.963956.com/317142.html] p807ew9w9w [/URL] 82qt1u2ee

Posted by: du8qhf69rr | August 29, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Bible belt...u will not find anything about muslims in the bible it just does not corespond with history and the dates do not match up it does not say that the anti christ will be muslim or of any denomination does not give any specifics. mlk jr. could've been the anti christ just as kennedy could've been and also even reagan could've been the anti christ if some one that captures peoples minds and hearts with their words is a critique for who the anti christ will be
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"In a recent news broadcast, Barack Obama made this statement with pride, 'We are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . .." To think our forefathers fought and died for the right for our nation to be a Christian nation--then to have this man say with pride that we are no longer that.

How far has this nation come from what our founding fathers intended it to be!

Posted by: Shayna Arnold | August 29, 2008 10:15 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
we were never a christian nation that is merely what the majority is the majority of people in america is white but does not make us a white nation we are diverse in our population just as we are in our religions....if i'm correct which i know i am cause history tells me so the first settlers in america came here to practice their religion with out fear of being killed and tortured because they believed something other than the "crown" so religious freedom...FREEDOM to practice how we see fit what ever we worship. america is to good of a country to be only one set way. and i would like to think that we are headed in a way that is contrary to what our founding fathers would have wanted for us...freedom...more and more as every passing day goes by bit by bit our freedoms and civil liberties are being taken from us and i will stand with the candidate that will fight for them and not merely spit on the constitution as g.w. bush has done

Posted by: Will | August 29, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

What about the technology factor? I'm sorry, but as a 31yo F, it would be pure stupidity for me to vote for McCain. With so much at stake, and nations like China and India developing their tech industry at alarming speed, is there any question that McCain is out of touch? He's not just out of touch with the American people, he's out of touch with the future of the technology industry and the global economy. How can someone with no computer experience possibly understand the throbbing collective conscious of Americans (and the world for that matter) that now exists online, and that will only continue to grow? McCain, like so many people his age, simply does not have the flexibility of mind left at age 71 to comprehend what is possible and what will be possible through technological development.
Obama, on the other hand, built his campaign on new technology and the development of 21st century jobs, as well as an education system that keeps us competitive in the global marketplace. A vote for McCain isn't just a vote for the "old" way, it's a vote against the "new" way, at a time when the whole world is waiting for us to catch up and reclaim our top spot as the leader of the industrial economic world! The choice is CLEAR

Posted by: tr | August 29, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Will: I already have all the proof I need that we are not a Christian nation.
If somebody comes up with a scripture that shows a man like Obama will be the antichrist
please post it in on this site for all to see.
I will continue to do my research. I love the Bible and have studied it all my life. That is why I can post with confidence about what it does and doesn't say. I recommend all you "heathens" reading these words get out your Bible(if you have one) and find out what is really in there.
Keep reading until you find the part about
the antichrist being Obama, and by that time you will know the difference between God word and the lies about it some people like to put online. Knowledge is power. Read The Book.

Posted by: Bible Belt | August 29, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Omar, actually, Calvinism is what brought about those ills that you mention. True Christianity in unlike that. Even Jefferson said in a letter to Adams (I think it was Adams) regarding the mindsets of those opposing the break from England saying "Yikes Calvanistic" (those in the spelling of the time). You see many in America thought that service to the King was service to God and to go against the King of England was blasphemy. In like fashion, many justified slavery since they thought as Calvin that the damned are damned and derserve to be treated as such. They thought the blacks were destined for hell. Surely, this is not Christlike behavior as Christ wants us to love God and show love to our fellow man. Furthermore, God himself says that he desires for all to be saved and have eternal life. Now, yes, Romans 13 shows that there should be a system to handle the evil doers. I love reading the old writings of many of our founding fathers. Many of thoseswritings reveal soooo much undercurrent of real religious thought, a struggle of true Christianity vs. Calvinism. And yes, I have read all of John Calvin's commentaries that he wrote on the new testament books. Sure, there is some good stuff in there, but he really goes way overboard to "overdub" what Jesus and others said in order to preserve his perversions of truth. Take a look at how he ran his power in Geneva. His elders would be on the streets evesdropping to hear of any illspeaking of Calvin. When so, off to the courts with the charges being blasphemy! See, to speak ill of Calvin was to speak ill of God. He also believed that any prayer he prayed was indeed the will of God. Hey, don't just take my word for it, check out his books from a library, probably most college libraries have copies, if not, try interlibrary loan. Jefferson was a mighty fighter for religious freedom. Sign me....true believer, true Christian.

Posted by: Elizabeth | August 29, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

If Obama wants to win young America he should promise to cut off the half-dead retirees who are crippling the economy by sucking the tit of the federal taxpayer until it is a bloody mess.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I pray fervently that the SANE America will prevail and elect Obama & Biden.
I had tears in my eyes watching Obama speak.
For this 55-year old, white Christian, my hopes for America are being renewed in Obama.
My greatest fear for America is that McCain-Palin will be elected.

Posted by: abby0802 | August 29, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Did the Palin pick remind anyone else of Monica Goodling running the justice dept?

Posted by: Olive | August 29, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Way to go BDev. You tell them! Now if we can get the rest of the traitor republicans like yourself to get out and vote we can finally destroy this country within the next four years. I'm happy that traitor republicans like you exist. I thought I was the only one who applauded when traitor John McCain served his wife divorce papers when she was in the hospital. That is just a class act. She didn't have enough cash for his taste. But after marrying his mistress he was set for life. That was a pretty smart move for a traitor republican. Also, his steadfast support of the war is just great. The more american soldiers he gets killed just means more money for me!!! Let us pray to John McCain's god......... "Dear Santa.........."

Posted by: GEORGE BUSH LIES | August 29, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

How is he going to protect pensions and 401 K's by making sure the stocks in them are worthless by taxing all the profits that contribute to them. 45% of oil company stocks are owned by the American working class people through their retirement funds and pensions. Tax the source of retirement funds for American workers, thats a great idea...right.

Posted by: Lodie | August 29, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey frank- some countries do have laws against Republicans running-their called dictaiterships. Go to one of these countries and try critizing the government, you'll end up dead or in prison. But I guess thats what the party of hate and intolerance of other opinions(republican opinions)would like for us. That would be a change. And good for Democrats, until some other group took power and treated them the same way, then the crying would start.

Posted by: Lodie | August 29, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

The United States of America will survive.
1.) Yes we have our detractors who would destroy the country if they could, if they don't get their own way.
2.) They are treated with Love (sometimes Tuff as with Timothy McVeigh) and understanding (his partner whose name escapes me).
3.) What preconceived divisions that may exist can be traceable back to personal Good or Evil. America's Good outweighs the Evil.
4.) Good and Evil are neither Old or New. We are One Nation Under G'd because the sun rises every morning on all.

Posted by: Fareed H. Ansari | August 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey Omar...

Katrina wasn't the fault of the federal government. It was the two liberals in charge...the mayor and the governor.

What happened in New Orleans is a perfect example of what happens to people when they look to the government to tell them what to say, think and do.

They lose the ability to to speak, think and do for themselves.

We in Florida got hit with multiple hurricanes and we didn't look first to the federal government...we look to ourselves and our own local and state government first...knowing that the feds will get here eventually.

Obama...is not touting self sufficiency...he is touting the same ideology that was responsible for the Katrina fiasco.

Posted by: dan | August 30, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

They my talk different when running for office (Tailoring their campaign promises to each group they are talking to) but their isn't a dimes worth of difference between Dems and Reps when they get to Washington DC, they are both on the take and it is always business as usual.....I'm voting for McCain because his VP is a hottie!

Posted by: mike | August 30, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

You do and I will coldcock you with a frying pan!

Posted by: Mike's wife | August 30, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Just to let some of you who NEVER dig deep to find the truth...the facts..and to you who have never actually experienced the current "government healthcare"...let me fill you in. In Jan. of 2006 my 78 year old mother suffered a stroke which left her with right side paralysis. Fortunately, my parents(who are old and stupid) had JUST enough sense to carry a secondary medical and drug insurance. Now as time went on, we had to deal with our AWESOME government managed elderly healthcare system hereforeto known as "MEDICARE" and their ways. So, now I tell you (as a younger person..not old and stupid yet) that ALL people do not heal at the same pace or heal by the same methods, or heal by the same medicines, or heal in the same time periods. What does this mean? Well, it probably won't bother too many of the younger Obama supporters who think that old people don't have the sense anymore and aren't worth that much to society anyhow, but if you don't stay right on top of the "system" and watch out for those parents who watched out for you...then your parents are SCREWED!! Medicare reps sit in an office (paid by us taxpayers) in another city and decide whether or not our parents(who paid into the system without choice for years)get help or the help they need. In my mom's case, she needed a different type of help...including different therapy, differnent drugs but that was not the case. Her "time" with medicare was up so she was just told to leave the nursing home. She couldn't get the medicine that would do her best because someone from medicare in some office in some other city or state decided that was not to be. It was what they had on their governtment issued books or nothing. Since her stroke, it has been one constant fight with the government controlled healtcare system.
I'm glad I'm not younger than 40 and too stupid to understand and look for the facts. Obama, God? I think those too words together are an oxymoron.

Posted by: son of a medicare victim | August 30, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Shayna Arnold, as a Christian, I'm deeply disturbed by your comments about Obama. He is not now, nor has he ever been a Muslim.

But even if he was, what's your problem? Ours is a nation created with a constitution that specifically forbids any kind of religious test - of anyone, anytime, on any issue. That is the law of the land, which all presidents are sworn to uphold and protect.

Contrary to your statements, Shayna, those wise men who founded our country were NOT trying to create a Christian country; quite the opposite: they wanted to sure that religion would remain a private matter. You need to refresh your memory and read a few history books.

With Barack Obama, we have an individual who is himself a devout Christian, but unlike you, one who respects all religions.

What Barack Obama can't stand - and what I cannot either, are extreme religious bigots who think anyone who doesn't share their narrow beliefs is worthless and damned to Hell.

Don't you remember? Religious extremists attacked us on September 11, 2001. Don't you get that, Shayna?

Religious extremists - of whatever persuasion - are the real enemy, Shayna - of all of us.

Posted by: Dennis Berry | August 30, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess Dr. Gizmo also rules out Benjamin Franklin, and puts Nelson Mandela, Deng Zhao Ping, Leonardo Da Vinci and Winston Churchill in a doubtful light. All "too old".

You do yourself and your country a disservice by underestimating John McCain. Laughably, the Democrats try to portray him as a continuation of Junior. Why did Junior's friends try so hard to prevent McCain from being nominated? Whether or not he has a temper, he has won the trust and respect of a very tough crowd in the Senate, and he has good friends on both sides of the aisle.

Try also to think of the other world leaders with whom the next President is going to interact. Who are the Chinese and the Russians likely to see as someone to be taken seriously? Obama or McCain?

Some are upset because McCain sometimes sings "Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran ..." You might recall that the same fears were raised about a President who joked about outlawing the Soviet Union "the bombs will start falling in five minutes". It was very funny, but some people have no sense of humor. He was quite sane and level headed. Ultimately he found a peaceful and beneficial end to the cold war without a shot being fired. Not a bad achievement.

Both McCain's father and grandfather were highly competent leaders in difficult situations. (McCain's grandfather effectively worked himself to death in the service of his country). Sometimes the apple falls close to the tree.

If elected, as seems unlikely, McCain will face a congress controlled by the Democrats, and that will guarantee balance whether he likes it or not.

As for the evangelical christians among you, you need to take a long, sober, and pretty humble, look in the mirror. Junior was your pick. Twice. You have done enormous damage to the country you profess to love, in its executive branch, in its judiciary, in its standing in the world, and, if indirectly, in its runaway finances. The US religious right is the subject of ridicule in most of the world. There is no shortage of good reasons why. After the war, Benes commented that when it came to WWII, Germans should whisper. Much the same can be said about the religious right when it comes to Bush Junior and this presidential election.

It remains to be seen if John McCain's choice of running mate was a mistake. Three things repel independent voters: intolerant religious beliefs, unswerving opposition to abortion, and membership in the NRA. She fits the last two. The broad middle of public opinion in the US has had it to the teeth on these issues. Chickens about to come home to roost?

Senator Obama is very bright, and is a fine speaker. He may turn out to be a fine President. His convention speech didn't soar like previous ones, but it got the job done. Some of his promises might violate America's obligations under the WTO and NAFTA faster than you can say Smoot-Hawley, and throwing even more money at the teachers' unions isn't likely to improve America's schools any time soon. Still, it was a good speech, with a galvanizing promise to end dependence on middle eastern oil within 10 years.

However, you wonder if Jesus himself could live up to the expectations that Obama has raised among his supporters. Anyone who has ever had to meet a payroll, or run an organization, has got to be concerned when his total experience in the Senate before running for President was, (someone will have the exact figure) roughly 140 sitting days. He has never actually run any organization of significant size - unlike the even younger republican VP candidate who at least has some executive experience. There has been no demonstration that he can build coalitions that include those with whom he disagrees, or that he knows how to compromise. While he may have been sorely provoked, if his almost contemptuous treatment of Sen. Clinton in the waning days of the primaries is an indication of how he will behave as President, everyone had better watch out. Once elected, he will not be dealing with starry-eyed young voters, but with hard as nails long serving representatives who do not universally regard him with admiration, and who are rubbed the wrong way by this second coming of the messiah stuff. If he doesn't learn genuine humility, and in a hurry, he may be in for a rough, rough time. On the other hand, despite his enormous ego he had the humility (or naked determination to win at any cost, depending on your point of view) and good sense to swallow his pride and pick Joe Biden.

After the incompetence of the last eight years, the Democrats should be able to run a plastic manikin, not spend any money campaigning, and still win in a landslide. If they can't win this time, they also need to take a long, sober look in the mirror.

America faces difficult times ahead. Here's wishing both Obama and McCain well, whoever ends up being elected in November. Americans should be thankful, and relieved, that both parties have good candidates this time. Either of them would be a huge improvement - and not a minute too soon.

Posted by: Ulysses | August 30, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

To Kelly Green::

While you might think you have made a point i must correct you.

The "complexity" i spoke of was in regards to the political realities. It is inappropriate to use blanket rule of thumb statements like "old or new" in the way that he implies as a philosophy.

The "simplicity" of the satirical new coke old coke example was meant to show that the philosophy doesnt work as a rule of thumb philosophy as he tries to imply.

You see its complex realities and a faulty simplistic philosophical. Just had to clear that up.

K. Green, I am afraid you jumped the gun, My comments did not attack McCain or Obama views, only on manipulation behind this article. and criticism for those who fall for it.

Note: Ironically, I'm a high school civics teacher. I am 25, and "new "to the staff. Love the name

Posted by: Kelly Carr | August 31, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

I have to say, Kelly Carr has made a valid point.

Posted by: Zack | August 31, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

As a 26 year old feminist pro-lifer I am really attracted to McCain's Pick. Im for equal pay for women, and The choice of a young woman I can relate to is NEW, and the choice Joe Biden is a man with OLD ideas. I do recognise one could argue that both tickets are an old and new together,

Sarah is for equal pay for men and women, break that glass ceiling down! And a strong pro-life feminist is something im all about.

A baby's right is human rights, and human rights take precedence over any other sub-category rights.

If one wants to be selfish and say that abortion is a womans rights issue and not a human rights issue, then women should have the right to terminate there children up to a year old. Dont animals sometimes do this? And are'nt we just animals? What would make this wrong?

Posted by: Carmen | August 31, 2008 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Bible Belt, you are right all along!!! I just found proof, PROOF!!!, that Obama is the anti-Christ!!!!!

Here is the quote from the Bible: "And his age shall be two score and seven, his race mixed, his religion unsaved. His name shall be Obama, and his running mate's Biden. They shall win the US Presidency in the Year of the Lord 2008 and rule for 43 months, spreading destruction, famine and disease. Then the world will end."

How can anyone not see it!!!! Come on people!!!! It's right there for everybody to see, in black and white --- if you know what I mean. Just do your research!

Now, as a good Christian, I suppose that means I have to vote for Obama. I mean, if the Bible says the anti-Christ will rule the world and all, I wouldn't want to go against God's will. And end up in the eternal flames of Hell for going against His word and voting for McCain. Would I?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Now... as a good Christian, I suppose that means I have to vote for Obama. I mean, if the Bible says the anti-Christ will rule the world and all, I wouldn't want to go against God's will. And end up in the eternal flames of Hell for going against His word and voting for McCain. Would I?

Amen.

Posted by: John D | August 31, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

John D , that was the stupidest thing i have ever read.

Posted by: chris e. | August 31, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

*******A NEOCONS DREAM********

As a Vietnam veteran and a Political Science major, I just can't wait to see do-do McCain as President of this declining country. Will he be holding hands with Palin as they pray on the White House lawn waiting for a sign from God?

Let's see, what will the agenda be?

1. give the Federal Government control over women's bodies and their ability to choose for themselves

2. infuse the government with more religion in every sphere so that we will eventually become a theocracy like Iran

3. minimize minorities, homosexuals, liberals. Set-up interment camps in strategic locations throughout the United States

4. build more churches, at least three per square mile. Capture apostates and convert them. If unsuccessful, send them to the interment camps

5. close all institutions of higher learning, except for Bible colleges, especially if located in the South

6. erode the rights of individuals further in a stealth manner gradually so that the ignorant citizenry of the United States won't realize what's happened until it's too late

7. create a commission to destroy all media that is unrelated and nonsupportive of the goal, ie, a religious theocracy of the United States

8. all future politicians and attorneys will have to have a religious education background and degrees from "approved" religious institutions

9. we will continue to remain aggressive, unilateral and beligerent in our Foreign policy, emulate the Romans and invade, destroy and conquer for the benefit of others

****ALL THE ABOVE IS A NEOCONS DREAM*****

Posted by: sanity | September 1, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

For all the talk from Evangelicals about abstinence and morality according to their definitions, he we are with Palins daughter pregnant and unmarried. And whose child is the boy with Down syndrome?

Of course the Evangelicals will minimize it because it suits them to do so, as they spin everything, including the Bible, to suit themselves.

Posted by: sanity | September 1, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

In as much as I am a year older than
John McCain, I really hate to say this,
but his thinking is so dated and removed
from what our nation needs to compete in
the modern world that a vote for him would
be a step backward. Watching the energy
and determination demonstrated by China
for only 15 minutes during the Olympics
should have convinced anyone that the US simply cannot afford to be led by the 'gray cliche' as I refer to McCain.
I only hope that there are enough young
people and forward looking older ones who
see the need for a much more imaginative
and agile thinker than John, the gray cliche, McCain.

Posted by: H G Mushenheim | September 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

H G Mushenheim - I am a 24 year old forward looking Libertarian. It stuns me too think that a person as old as you has yet to understood that it is not a matter of new or old. Its just a republican way and a democrats way, and both are the same way.
There is no difference between Hillary and Obama, Obama and Bill etc. Its just the fact that our most recent president is a "centrist" republican that there gonna throw in the "New" word. If Obama wins, the next election the republicans are gonna play the "new ideas" card.

I hate to tell you this, but where I am from, most every young person I know, is libertarian or republican, and is voting McCain.

Posted by: S. Moore | September 1, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

::correction::
I meant to say that
"Its just a republican way and a democrats way, and both are their own separate same ways."

Posted by: S. Moore | September 1, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, having never listened to a speech given by Obama, his opening lines seem very condescending and condemning. I feel as though I should be ashamed for being American. Is that how I should feel when listening to his speech? His talk of change does not inspire me. As a 25 year-old free thinker, it depresses me.

Posted by: James | September 3, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse