A Made-for-TV Event

The most surprising event of the Republican National Convention thus far would be if Sarah Palin’s acceptance speech tonight turns out to be a dud.

I can assure you, it won’t.

I fully expect that she will look good and sound great, that she will deliver a rouser that hits all the right conservative buttons. I would be stunned if delegates and onlookers in the stands don’t repeatedly leap to their feet and cheer their heads off. Some, I’m sure, will shed tears of joy.

Talking heads on cable TV will fall over themselves, saying essentially the same thing: "Sarah Palin had to give the speech of her life, and by golly, she did!”

She’ll leave the stage as the rising star of the GOP, the symbol of all America holds dear, the person everybody should love -- and should be ashamed for having doubted for one second.

And why not?

Her speech has been drafted with care by some of the party’s best wordsmiths. She will have been coiffed and decked out by pros with a keen eye for the camera. Plus, she has the skills to pull it off. She is, after all, a politician -- a novice, yes, but a smart pol nonetheless.

Tonight’s affair, despite its billing, is not a test.

It’s a show made for television.

The real test comes later, when the McCain handlers can no longer put words in her mouth.

It comes when Sarah Palin has to leave the security of the Republican war room and when she has to face the American people, through their sainted surrogates in the media (hush my mouth).

Then we will see and hear what we won’t see and hear tonight: how Sarah Palin thinks, what she believes and why. Then, America will get to know her stance on a variety of issues, some of which even her newly found handlers probably haven’t thought of.

Then America will get to know the real Sarah Louise Heath Palin.

By Colbert King  | September 3, 2008; 6:34 PM ET
Categories:  King  | Tags:  Colbert King
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Struggle to Explain Sarah Palin
Next: Tarnished Oldies

Comments

Those feeder band winds you liberals feel against your flapping nylon jackets ...

ah, those are forewarning that around 10 pm tonight you are going to feel the full force of Hurricane Sarah.

Puh-leeze keep harassing her: it insures a large turnout for us. Puh-leeze keep it up!!!

Posted by: Political Weather Forecaster | September 3, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Geez, King you sound like you are about to piss your pants!

C'mon, it can't be THAT bad. Don't you have the most grandiloquent politican of all time on your side?

Keep hope alive, King (it's all you've got).

Posted by: Southern republican | September 3, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

King ur funny.

Must be awfully worried about the nation's reception of Palin tomorrow.

Too bad ur lonely little blog can't stem the tide, huh?

Your shilling is a little obvious. But I guess that is the nature of shilling, isn't it?

But, you are right about one thing --- Sarah will sizzle tonight.

Watch those polls go ... bump ... bump ... bump --- if you dare.

Posted by: Friendly foe | September 3, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Amen King!! For the Party that claims it is country first...Its rather Ironic that their anointed VP nominee puts Alaska First.

I just wonder if Queen Sarah and King Todd got their own wish of their own Kingdom of Alaska, in effect stealing all our American resources, would Bush have invaded it like Putin did to South Ossetia?

Posted by: Becky | September 3, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Becky, go get some rest before you post again.

It's not good to ramble on nonsensically --- on purpose.

Posted by: Pity for Becky | September 3, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I nominate King ... for King of Shilling.

Don't be humble, man. You shill very well.

Posted by: King for King | September 3, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, King ....

Go ask what Eugene Robinson what he's doing right, because everyone reads his drivel (he's a great driveler).

Only trolls like me are reading your pathetic shilling.

Posted by: King is disturbed | September 3, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

As a woman, I have tried to follow this Sarah Palin story, but I must confess I keep getting her confused with Hillary Clinton. Which is which?

Posted by: Jackie | September 3, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"king is disturbed" please quit drooling all over.

Posted by: Judy | September 3, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

You guys are all crazy! Why don't you go watch the convention?

Posted by: Pity for All of You | September 3, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

And while Palin is giving "the speech of her life" are we all supposed to forget what her main proposal really is? Let's not forget, her main propsal isn't a Palin administration, but a McCain presidency. No matter how well you like Palin, is that worth it?

Posted by: Dan | September 3, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey King, etc, poster, Mr. King seem to be shilling for you side this time. He believe the speech tonight will be very, very good. Cant you take a compliment? I think the speech will grate.

Posted by: King of Nothing | September 3, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Dan, What, a McCain presidency, oh, dear! I forgot about that part! Durn, I will just have to vote for the 2 guys after all.

Posted by: Olive | September 3, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

We'll get to see how good of an actress (I mean politician) Gov. Palin is this evening.

The scandals are overwhelming her candidacy, which is still in its early days and hasn't been fully vetted. She lied about being a reformer, and she abused her power in Alaska... I'm sure there's more lies and abuses that will come out...

Beyond that, she just isn't qualified.

Selecting Palin was a stupid, reckless decision by McCain. To borrowed today's live mic'd words of Peggy Noonan, "it's over."

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 3, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you mean like Obama's Made-for-TV-events.

But, dear King, did you notice Obama got his hat handed to him by McCain at Rick Warren's church.

Guess that's why he didn't want to do the Town Hall thing with McCain.

Go have a stiff drink (or, four), King. Sarah will be as good as you fear.

Posted by: NotSoCasual Observer | September 3, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

As Fred Hiatt said, the vp speech had to be changed a bit once they learned it was Sarah who would be delivering it, because it was "too masculine." I don't know about you guys, but I for one was looking for some raw moose meat.

Posted by: Jennelle | September 3, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Deep Blue:

It's over for Peggy Noonan.

Her affected speech is not nearly as riveting as Sarah's straight-from-the-heart talk.

Peggy Noonan just gets to be Peggy Noonan (betcha SHE had a lot of dates in college, huh?)

Sarah gets to be vice-president.

Posted by: The Undertaker | September 3, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Jenelle, in all likelihood, you ARE moose meat.

Phew! Getta outta here, huh?!

Posted by: Meat inspecter | September 3, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

King

Does the Post know you are also on Obama's payroll?

Shame, shame ... everyone ... no, um ... no one knows your name.

"I knew Eugene Robinson. Eugene Robinson was a friend of mine (*** gags ***). King, you're no Eugene Robinson."

Shills of a feather, flock together.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The speech tonight will not be "straight from the heart," but from a teleprompter. See above. Also, how do you guarantee 84,000
people will show up in a stadium for a political rally? That had the religious right folks so worried, they were actually praying for rain. And it didn't rain.

Let's see you actually referred to how many dates Peggy Noonan had in college? What is this, OK Magazine?

Posted by: Jennelle | September 3, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Geez, Judy, you seem uptight.

Feeling the feeder bands from Hurricane Sarah already?

Posted by: King is disturbed | September 3, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Meat Inspector: yes indeed, I am moose meat, and WAY past my sell date. How did you guess?
No seriously, just a female, and as a meat inspector I am sure you know we are all alike! A vote for Hillary is a vote for Sarah is a vote for Peggy or Michelle or Joanie or Sue Ellen Ewing. We're just the same. I'm sure you could not pick your wife or girlfriend out of a line-up. (of women, not moose meat, I mean.)

Posted by: Jennelle | September 3, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Jenelle, you told a lie.

They did not pray for rain.

They DID make a off-the-wall, humorous video that 'suggested' people pray for it to rain.

I guess after listening to Obama so long, the truth no longer matters to you, huh?

It's okay, you'll be under Republican rule once more in 60 days.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...

I guess I shoulda said governance and not "rule".

But, I bet it feels like rule to you, huh?

Why do you guys have such a hard time winning the White House (and, puhleeze, no talk about Clinton. He didn't win the first time. Ross Perot caused Bush to lose).

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, was that little bitty breeze I just felt, Sarah, then? Uptight? No, everything is all right. I guess that was not drool but a raindrop as the Sarah cloud passed over.

King is disturbed, thank you for your concern. You must be one of those compassionate sorts.

Posted by: Judy | September 3, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

*** looks at watch ***

Poor Jenelle.

Shes gone searching Google to prove she's right about her little story about praying for rain.

Don't suppose she'll admit she was wrong when she gets back, though.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Judy you don't write nearly imaginatively as you suppose.

But, don't think you're little efforts are not appreciated. LMAO

Posted by: King is disturbed | September 3, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Integrity, you have none of it. You are the one who is mistaken. You see, I watched the video, and I saw Stuart Shephard of Focus on the Family ask people to pray for rain, and say that he would be doing so!

Do you know what it is called when you ask God to do something in a silly or joking way?

Posted by: Jennelle | September 3, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Again, you lied.

And are lying again.

Oh, and BTW, for sure you do not speak for God. I am also very sure about that.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

You saw the video and did not conclude it was tongue-in-cheek?

What a dumb a**.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, thank you so much, King is disturbed!
As are yours!

Posted by: Judy | September 3, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

PREDICTION: Palin rocks the house tonight.

PREDICTION: O'Reilly ties Barry in a knot tomorrow night. Watch it at 8 pm. Have kleenex with you.

Posted by: Prognosticator | September 3, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Undertaker,

McCain made a really bad decision with the Palin pick. And given how Palin handled her fifth pregnancy, flying from Texas to Anchorage with a Downs Syndrome baby after her water broke, I'm not sure she's any less reckless than McCain.

This is a train wreck- we'll see if McCain pushes her out of it or not.

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 3, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Deep blue,

I see how came to be that color:

... you are holding your breath until Obama comes up with substance in a speech.

Posted by: Undertaker | September 3, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Barrack Obama snorted cocaine. When will CNN or Wash Post do an in-depth story on this? As a voter, I want to know just exactly how much cocaine Obama snorted. How much did he pay for the cocaine that he snorted? Who did he buy the cocaine from? Did Obama snort all the cocaine himself, or did he sell some of it to others?

Posted by: Dave | September 3, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I watched the video and get that it was an attempt at humor. I do not speak for God, no, and neither do you. Pretty sure God would not call someone what you called me.
Also, it seems quite possible that God does not share Stuart Shepherd's sense of humor about the weather. Just a thought.

Posted by: Jenelle | September 3, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Wash Post, 03 Jan 2007: Obama has become the first potential presidential contender to admit trying cocaine.

Posted by: Dave | September 3, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

What 44yr old woman in her right mind who's 36 weeks pregnant, with a Downs Syndrome baby, and has her water break, flies from Texas to Anchorage? And then doesn't even have her physician meet her at a NICU in Anchorage, but drives an extra hour to give birth in her little hometown?

Either she's as reckless a decision maker as McCain or there's more to that story.

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 3, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Deep Blue, don't expect any answers to your common sense questions. The trouble with you
is: You make sense.

Posted by: Common Sense | September 3, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Jenelle,

Why didn't you get that it was humor when you first saw it?

I think it was because your brain was overheating from partisanship.

Do you deny that?

If you admit it, how much else have you seen wrongly?

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

The biden / palin debate ought to be interesting. It will expose her as the underexperienced flunk that she really is.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Deep blue/Common sense:

Do not post yourself. It is a waste of forum space.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jackie | September 3, 2008 7:26 PM

Hillary is the one that actually has the experience and intelligence to be president - Palin, she's the punchline of a bad joke.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

anonymous ...

More likely it will expose that Joe Biden has a superfluity of words --- and even more so, as he is not aging so gracefully.

(And THIS is from a Republican who kinda likes Joe!)

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Deep blue ...

Are soooooo unimaginative that you cannot consider that a) the media maybe has not given us the WHOLE story, or the story in context, and, b) that there are details about Governor Palin that you actually do not know.

In your partisan overreaching, don't become a dolt.

Posted by: Undertaker | September 3, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Deep blue ...

Remember that MSM columnist Andrew Sullivan was buying into Sarah-was-Trig's-grandma B.S.

Or, I suppose your partisan-koolaid-drinking-brain still believes that one.

Sheesh.

Posted by: Undertaker | September 3, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I definitely got that it was an attempt at humor---hardly the same thing as succeeding, though. I had heard about the video on the news and lots of people were taking it seriously. So I decided to check it out. I went looking for it several days ago, but lo and behold it had been pulled from most sites. I finally did find it.

Did you think the guy was joking when he said, "I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman?" Of course that part was not a joke. So you can see how people outside those circles might feel it was not exactly in good taste.

For myself, I felt it was a lame attempt at humor and a joke that would only appeal to a narrow and specific segment of the population. Some of those folks probably laughed and some probably prayed for rain, too. But it is hard to laugh at that type of religious "joke" from a crowd that is almost always dead serious and completely certain about their religious views.

Posted by: Jenelle | September 3, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Jenelle,

I agree that the humor was lame.

I cannot possibly agree with so great a generalization as "a crowd that is almost always dead serious and completely certain about their religious views."

Embarrassingly simplistic analysis of at least 30 million people.

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

30 million === that's just the evangelicals!

By your writing, I suspect you know very little beyond a caricature of that significant segment of our population.

But, hey, who cares, right? It's all about winning. Go, Barry!

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

You think TONIGHT is Made for TV?

Omigosh. Have you even been watching the Obama campaign?

You people are desperate. Especially now that pretty Palin is on the scene.

Posted by: James C | September 3, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not picking on any particular person in here, I'm just saying that if we don't re-engineer our educational system the Chinese are going to eat our lunch.

The days of stupid being cute are over. It's 2008. Stupid is ugly, and it is not in our national interest.

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 3, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Uh, integrity, actually I know that segment quite well, born and raised in it. The Bible has a lot to say about trotting out your religion for the world to see as I have seen the religious right do. I'm saddened to see people I love in those churches falling for this pre-digested version of the gospel that does all your thinking for you. If you want truth, look to the Bible and focus on the words of Jesus. Read it for yourself. Jesus understood that you cannot legislate morality. He said, "He who winneth souls is wise." You have to win them, though.

Posted by: Jenelle | September 3, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for making the Obama treatment of Hillary and Sarah so clear:

BLACK MAN = WOMAN HATER

DEMOCRAT = SEXIST

Women need to unite for one cause and only one cause - equal opportunity. Otherwise men like this one will continue to treat all women with disrespect, prejudice, and discrimination. He has already said even if Sarah does a good job it means nothing - maybe nothing to him but it will mean a lot to this working mother and Democrat.

Democrat and Repulican Women vote for CHANGE! End the double standard and make a vote for ALL American women - Vote Sarah Palin 08!

Posted by: Feminist | September 3, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Liberals didnt create the deficit or deregulate the economy leading to a recession. The GOP created deficits as wide as an ocean leading to the undermining of our society. Palin cant reform that as she is part of it.

Posted by: Paul Nolan | September 3, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Jenelle,

Strike two on your credibility.

Jesus never said "he that winneth souls is wise."

The writer of Proverbs chapter 11 did, though.

How much else are you wrong on?

Posted by: Integrity | September 3, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Anadromous2 wrote:

Although the Republicans can't see around their blinders, Sarah Palin is an affirmative action pick. SHe was plucked out of nowhere by a committee of white men in John McCain's campaign and placed ahead of hundreds of people who are more qualified than her.

And of course they can not see the huge is differences between Palin and Obama. Obama was vetted and then chosen by the voters and delegates of 57 caucuses and primaries. Palin has been around for 4 days. Obama has been in the public eye for 4 years.

Until proven otherwise, she is a trick of the eye.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Integrity, So you DO have a Bible. I stand corrected, you are absolutely right. And as to your question, I am probably wrong a lot.
Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee. Which is where I pulled the reference without looking it up(always a mistake when posting!) The heart is in the right place, but sometimes, the brain slips out of gear(at least, sometimes mine does.)
Sorry, thanks for the correction.

Posted by: Jenelle | September 3, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Mr. King et al, thanks for watching the convention for me, so I don't have to, and providing this blog space. It was a great idea.

I agree with anonymous and anadromus and as a woman I resent this cynical selection.
Feminist: Do you think all those far right wing women would ever in a million years vote for Hillary? Think about it. I assure you, they would not.

Posted by: Olive | September 3, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Colbert is right. Sarah right now is nothing more than an empty skirt. Guess where she goes next? She heads to a secluded location for boot camp to be trained. What kind of nonsense is that? The republicans are going to try and sell as one thing and hide her from real media scrutiny because they know she's something else. She doesn't have the game for the big court. She needs to go back to the the little court in Alaska. She is a joke as a national candidate. Just call her Alaska Barbie. And quit calling her a basketball star. She was playing in Alaska. Did she play in college against some real ball players from Compton, Detroit, NYC? Pailin is like Saran Wrap, you can see right through her and that thin resume.

Posted by: John P | September 3, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

She'll give a great speech, and then tomorrow we will start to hear the trickle from Mr. White Wright, only his views are really radical.

We will get to hear Sarah talk about proficies and end-times, and we will wave buh-bye.

Posted by: K Ackermann | September 3, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"and Rudy lands a right ... and left ... and now a roundhouse right ...

"Down goes Obama ... down goes Obama ... down goes Obama

"you can count 10 over him all night."

*** and Palin hasn't even spoken yet ***

Posted by: Howard Cosell | September 3, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey, when can we have Obama in a situation where his handlers won't be able to put words in his mouth?

BTW, I'm a Republican who would have voted for Hillary or McCain. So to the commenter who said that us right wingers wouldn't have voted for Hillary, you're wrong.

Posted by: Pierce Wetter | September 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm a partisan.

King is a partisan.

The difference?

Nobody is paying me for journalistic professionalism. King is a shill for Obama ... and the Washington Post is picking up the tab.

Posted by: Partisan | September 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Pierce Wetter,

He was in that situation once so far ... and McCain handed him his ...

well, let's say, ... his hat.

Posted by: Partisan | September 3, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I am speaking of Rick Warren's church.

Posted by: Partisan | September 3, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

We ought to arrest Rudy.

That was an heckuva smackdown.

LMAO (I'm sorry, LMAO)

Rudy's the man! (Tonight, anyway)

Thanks Rudy!

Posted by: Cop | September 3, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Ratings will be bigger tonight than for Woodstock last Thursday night.

At least 50 million.

Too bad, so sad King.

Posted by: Mr. Nielsen | September 3, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey have you noticed how Democrats are much better dancers than Republicans? It's so funny to see how awkward many of these G.O.P.ers look while boogying on t.v. !?! When Democrats have fun, it looks natural. Among the Republicans, it looks forced.

Posted by: Wanda | September 3, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Tonight’s affair, despite its billing, is not a test.

It’s a show made for television.
*******

you could say that about barack obama's entire career...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

LOL the party that belittles a person that can deliver a speech are wetting their pants over...a person who delivered a speech! That will make a funny Obama AD!

Posted by: Terry | September 3, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Sarah hit the ball so far ... ya'll aint' ever gonna find the thing.

Too bad, so sad. LMAO

Posted by: Partisan | September 3, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

It is NOT country first. That's hype. It's the wealthy and connected first. The impression that the program is about patriotism and taxing the unemployed is just that: an impression. A marketing gambit. And it has worked marvelously well for Republicans. The rubes lap it up.

Posted by: BlueTwo1 | September 3, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

great prepared speech.pretty woman who is good orater. now what? both obama and biden are much more intelligent and will easily win debates. unless americans prefer low intelligence in their leaders...oh wait.

Posted by: WENDY | September 4, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Did we see the same speech? Oh wait, I did not watch that speech.

Posted by: Julia | September 4, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I feel badly that Julia did not watch the speech with 50 million other citizens interested in a very important election.

But, then again, Julia has Moses to speak from the mountain to her.

Posted by: Mr. Nielsen | September 4, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Palin 5, Moses 2.

The "inexperienced governor from nowhere" can speak better than Moses.

Oh, my, Michelle Obama's gonna HATE this.

Posted by: Scorekeeper | September 4, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Julia you saw the speech.

And you crapped your pants.

Posted by: Oscar M | September 4, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Palin's strengths would be somewhat neutralised in a debate with Biden because a) her average-all-american-girl charm doesn't contrast as well with Biden's working-class background b) She's a mother-politician while he raised two kids on his own for years as a US senator c) They're both equally aggressive fighters.

Plus, when did being a tough mother qualify someone for the Vice Presidency? Or is it that a great speech is marked by belligerence, inaccuracy and disrespect. If last night's speech proved anything, it's Sarah Palin is a much bigger joke than we thought she was. That's perhaps why she's a tougher customer to tackle for the Obama campaign. It's much harder to debate an idiot than an eloquent, erudite and articulate speaker.

Posted by: AWK | September 4, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

How nice and white? Almost spotlessly so.
I thought about bleach all the way through.

Now I definately know who I want as President and Vice President:

a man who is disorented on stage,

and a woman who pees in the words, then puts on lipstick and goes out to dinner.

I'm so impressed by the United States!

God bless America!

Posted by: sanity | September 4, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Let me get this right the party that needlessly squandered over a half a trillion dollares is supposed to bring ecocnomic restraint. Sarah says that Obama does not talk about victory in Iraq what victory have we won Iraq, creating a Shiite ally next door for Iran. Watch how cozy the Iraqi leadership becomes with Iran once they show us the door which they are now rapidly egging us toward.

Posted by: substance not fluff | September 4, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr.King,
As a reader who heeded the warning of your build-up to the Palin speech, avoided television last night, and read the rave reviews this a.m. BEFORE viewing the speech,
I have to wonder, did I see the same speech as everyone else?

To tell the truth, I'm an Obama voter and
was a little afraid to watch. Am I glad I did. I encourage all Obama voters to watch this speech. Knowledge is power.
Media critics who gave this speech rave reviews are deranged.

Posted by: Skeptic | September 4, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Where is Mr. King to refute all the nonsense of Mr. Lane columns? Is there not one honest
voice in the mainstream media who will tell it like it is about last night speech?
Anyone who will be a voice for all of us affronted women and men of good will with reasonable intelligence?

I saw the speech and was not impressed.
I was expecting to be wowed, but that
namby-pamby, shaking finger, nayh,nayh,nayh
stuff does not
show passion or mental fortitude, and gives me indigestion and heartburn. Please, Mr. King, let's see an intelligent post from a reasonable journalist. Please! tell me you have not drunk that kool aid, too.

Posted by: Diogenes | September 4, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I will be waiting for Mr. King's comments!

Posted by: Shayla | September 4, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I keep hoping King will post something. He has common sense. I thought the speech was frightful. Where is Mr. King and Mr. Robinson? Where is Kinsley? Where is the voice of reason and good common sense?
Your readers await you guys to come to the aid of normal people

Posted by: Normal People | September 4, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess King has drunk the hemlock. He must be weak as a kitten charmed by the beautiful
spunky Sarah who blew through his live like a
tornado through a trailer park. Or is he afraid if he speak his gentle and well-informed mind he will be call a shill?
Well, Mr. King, come ye out from among them and be ye separate. The media chorus does not speak for anyone except for themselves, they are singing for their supper. What a shameful display of hypocrisy.

Posted by: Dan Socrates | September 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

-------Did Obama snort all the cocaine himself, or did he sell some of it to others?--------

Just a few lines to George W. Bush...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

OK, Substance:

-- how is it that you know *anything* about what the Shia leadership is doing in Iraq.

Well, having spoken to dozens of Shia today -- private citizens and Government employees alike -- I can tell you that they're all really very leery about the withdrawl of US forces and economic assistance.

If it's not handled exactly right, the whole delicate peace will rupture into genocide. *Everyone* here knows it. It's just that some people wouldn't mind that kind of bloodbath as much as others.

But you don't really care, do you? Basically, most liberals are amoral deep down. If a few hundred thousand more people need to die, so be it. Let's just cut and run. Screw cleaning up our mess and doing the right thing then, right?

Why don't you just shut up and let they those of us over here in Iraq do our jobs? We all chose to take on these risks.

I suggest that you go on and prowl blogs and read the Economist, and those of us that actually know what the hell is going on will continue to let you think you have a clue about what's really happening over here.

Posted by: Actually in Iraq | September 4, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Actually in Iraq, What TV newscasts do you get in Iraq? I am just curious.

Posted by: Sally | September 4, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of listening to all the campaign promises. Promises, promises.
A little something for just about everyone. Let's please everyone a bit so we can get elected and then accomplish very little. Or at least if we do nothing else well, maybe we can get into a war somewhere, maybe Iran, or Venezuela.

And let's not forget to build nuclear plants so we can create more waste that we have no safe method of recycling.

Posted by: sanity | September 4, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

It's funny, King, that you mention a 'made for tv' convention, because when I was watching Barry Obama's fireworks from my house, I kept thinking of all those poor fools who had to watch it on tv.

Posted by: philip | September 5, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

...how's that for shilling

Posted by: philip | September 5, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

I really wish Mr. King would add another posting to his blog. On the other hand, what could he say about the Palin speech but, "Told ya?"

Posted by: Jackie | September 5, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm not convinced that either McCain and Palin are capable of positive real change in this country. To begin with, and with all due respect for McCain's military background, neither of them represents Americans of today. Neither one of them are in touch with the realities of the problems this country truly faces. And they are incapable of intelligently discussing these issues.

The choice of Palin by McCain displays his ineptness. She has no meaningful experience worth a hoot regardless of the spin doctors. And I could deliver a speech just as well if Mr. Gerson or the actual speechwriter wrote one for me to deliver.
After all, she was well coached. She did a good job of it, there's no denying that, but delivering a speech does not qualify you to be Vice President or more likely President.

McCains health is a major issue also here.
After eight disastrous, wasteful years of Bush do we as patriotic Americans want not only more of the same, but additional devestating agendas from the Supreme Court and the religious right? I think not!

Posted by: sanity | September 5, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

thanks, sanity, for posting some sanity here.

For every person who stands up to this nonsense, that small act shines a light that is encouraging to the rest of us. Whether it is wearing a button, putting up a yard sign, making calls, knocking on doors, writing letters to the editor or
simply posting something positive, it all helps. Yes, those little actions, though they will not make much difference to our opponents, do a world of good to those saddened, disgusted, affronted, and discouraged by the politics of fear and destruction.

So--Enough! Enough of looking backward.
As Hillary Clinton might say, paraphrasing Sojourner Truth, "If you hear a tarted-up pitbull snarling, keep going." Registration cards in hand. . . .

Posted by: Jackie | September 5, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse