A Week of Gaffes for a VP Nominee

What a clueless vice presidential pick, right?

Hasn’t been in charge of anything important. Doesn’t know a thing about balancing the budget. Can’t deal with the media.

He really seems to be botching it.

Wait, he?

For all the skepticism lobbed at Sarah Palin (much of it justified), it’s Joe Biden who is coming off as the political naive. Outside of someone with an MBA and $200,000 in student loans, Biden may be having the worst week (or two) ever.

It started last Thursday when, asked whether the Fed should bailout AIG, Biden said: “I don’t think they should be bailed out by the federal government.” Well, OK, this country’s economic brain trust would disagree. But that’s fine, right? A lot of Main Street Americans agree with Biden.

Unfortunately, his presidential candidate does not. “I think Joe should have waited,” Obama chided.

Biden’s criticism of his own ticket didn’t stop there. He called one of his campaign’s ads, which mocked John McCain’s ability to use a computer, “terrible.”

Oh, he also said paying high taxes is “patriotic.” And that he and Obama aren’t supporting clean coal – even though they are. And, most recently and outrageously, that Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke to the nation on TV after the stock market crashed. As Jon Stewart riffed last night: Problem A, FDR wasn’t president when the stock market crashed in October 1929. Problem B, TV didn’t exist.

I imagine Obama is one more Biden gaffe away from putting his vice presidential candidate in a timeout.

True, the gaffes are just verbal slip ups and don’t say much about the man. True, maybe the reason Palin isn’t making the same mistakes is because she’s apparently hiding in Vice President Cheney’s bunker. But I'm guessing that if Palin were screwing the pooch as bad as Biden, the blogs would be agog and newspapers would be busting out the big type.

Maybe there's some room in that bunker, Joe.

By Steven Stein  | September 25, 2008; 7:48 AM ET
Categories:  Stein  | Tags:  Steven Stein
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Right Soapbox for McCain
Next: Romney, a Shadow Veep?

Comments

Famous Quotes:

"When's the last time we elected a president based on one year of service in the senate before he started running?"
--Bill Clinton

"When that phone rings, whether it's 3pm or 3am, in the white house, there is no time for speeches or on-the-job training."
--Hillary Clinton

"I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is, the presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training."
--Joe Biden

Asked in a second interview days later...
"I stand by my statement."
--Joe Biden

"Senator McCain will bring a lifetime of experience. I will bring a lifetime of experience. And senator Obama will bring a speech that he gave in 2002."
--Hillary Clinton

"I am a believer in knowing what you're doing when you apply for a job. And I think that if I were to seriously consider running on the national ticket I would essentially have to start now, before having served a day in the senate. Now there are some people that might be comfortable doing that, but I'm not one of them."
--Barack Obama

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPNJdOdklk

Posted by: Michelle Obama | September 25, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Now you know why Sarah Palin is hiding.

All the other candidates ran in the longest presidential campaign in history.

Palin came in on the short bus.

Posted by: marcaurelius | September 25, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm voting for the gay guys... obama/biden

Posted by: marcaurelius | September 25, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Famous Quotes:

--Bill Clinton

--Hillary Clinton

--Joe Biden

Asked in a second interview days later...
"I stand by my statement."
--Joe Biden

--Hillary Clinton

--Barack Obama

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPNJdOdklk

Posted by: Michelle Obama | September 25, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Listen, fact is there are a lot of independents now leaning toward McCain who once leaned toward Biden. They appreciate a guy who will stick his neck out rhetorically, mostly knows his stuff and has a record of being on the right side of issues. To people like this, a "gaffe" causes no more than a wince and a shrug.

God luvya, Joe.

Posted by: Mike S | September 25, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

In fact, Joe, I love you so much I wonder if it's ok if I propose to you right here and now.

Posted by: Mike S | September 25, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Biden is making gaffes as he always has in the past, but he has a long positive record to balance them.

"...newspapers would be busting out the big type." They are - in coal country Biden's contradictions are front page.

A lot of this stuff belongs on page five, but Palin's qualifications are still unknown and seem to be actively hidden by the McCain campaign, whereas Biden's pluses and minus are well known and he is actively on the campaign speaking for himself (albeit not always for Obama). Biden is known and Palin is unknown - that's the real issue that belongs on the front page.

Posted by: skeptonomist | September 25, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute - isn't being a "maverick" a good thing? Are the inconsistencies between Biden and Obama greater than those between McCain today and McCain yesterday?

Posted by: skeptonomist | September 25, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Look, I've said a few things that weren't exactly "historically accurate." But who hasn't? Besides... are you SURE that FDR wasn't president at the time? Maybe the books have it wrong. Regardless, I think the real issue here that many Americans are facing is having to look at my shiny bald head every time I turn around. Many a voter has complained that the sun gets directed right into their eyes when I turn and I apologize for that. I'm trying to use rogaine, but it's just not doing the trick for me.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: Joey Biden | September 25, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

So,since Messiah Barack Hussein Obama claim
to fame includes his supposed role as an
ACRON Community Organizer,so tell me why
hasn't even one person come forward and told us all about how "Mr Big Shot Big Mouth Messiah Barack Hussein Obama" helped
them? They can't since the only person
Barack Hussein Obama ever helped is Barack
Hussein Obama and much of the same can also
be said about the Democrat Serial Draft
Dodger Six Terms In The Senate Joe Biden.
And you Democrats expect me to vote for
two total empty suit losers like Obama and
Biden,do you? NO WAY I WILL! NOBAMA!

Posted by: Jan 1977 | September 25, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Many of you will recall that on July 8, 1947, nearly 60 years ago,
witnesses claim that an unidentified flying object (UFO) with five alien
aboard crashed onto a sheep and cattle ranch just outside Roswell , New
Mexico . This is a well-known incident that many say has long been
covered up by the U.S. Air Force and other federal agencies and
organizations.
However, what you may NOT know is that in the month of March 1948, nine
months after that historic day, the following people were born:
Albert A. Gore, Jr.
Hillary Rodham
John F. Kerry
William J. Clinton
Howard Dean
Nancy Pelosi
Dianne Feinstein
Charles E. Schumer
Barbara Boxer
See what happens when aliens breed with sheep? I certainly hope this bit
of information clears up a lot of things for you. It did for me.

Paul J. White

Posted by: Benjamin | September 25, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You are judged by the company you keep. Looking at Obama and Biden you see Tony Rizo who is convicted in jail, William Ayers the bomber, Rev. Wright and Farakahn the racist. The liberal media who slanders an all American woman Sara Palin and her 17 year old daughter. Then attacks her qualifications which means they are attacking all women. Obama can’t speak with out a teleprompter which means someone else is telling him what to say. Sara Palin has an 80 percent approval rating by hundred of thousands who put their stamp of approval on her. Now the entire country approves of her. The Democrat party has been taken over by socialists and the insane. Their idea of a qualified woman is a hard core lesbian! The Bible sums it up They are evil haters of God and despisers good.

Posted by: Jasemin | September 25, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

It reminds me of an old Mark Twain adage which is something to the effect of "better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt." McCain's handlers seem to have taken that to heart with their media ban on Governor Palin.

But, there's no getting around the fact that Senator Biden sure does say a lot of foolish things. Maybe it's because he doesn't blink when asked to do an interview.

Still, to slightly amend another old adage, I prefer the fool I know to the one I don't.

Posted by: todd | September 25, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I am appalled and disgusted by the claim of Obama supporters that Jesus was a community organizer. Jesus Christ told people to trust in God not the government. I am very upset how the liberal media is comparing Obama to Jesus with a halo. This is total blasphemy and shows how low and evil these people are. Only a fool would vote for low life political hack fraud like him. He ia a clost gay and a muslim. Talk to the chicago people. The media loves him because he is like them. Obama is a walking hate crime!

Posted by: Otis | September 25, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Look Obama is now crying racism about McCain Commercial showing Obama's financial advisors Franklin Raines and the whose who of Fannie Mayes Corrupt thieves. Every time this FILTHY Lying POLITICAL SCUM Hack Obama gets the light shinned on him he cries racism. Do not forget he called Bill Clinton a racist when Clinton called Obama a liar

I am a black Afro American and I state it as a Fact! Obama is a RACIST simple. That is all that comes out of his and his wifes mouth. Rev. Wright preached it for 20 years and Obama does not remember. Of course not he is part of the Farakhan hate machine. That is the reason Jesse Jackson wanted to cut his balls off. The problem is Obama does not have any. He sold them out to the lobyist at Fanny Mae and Freddie Mack and Middle Eastern Terrorists and George Soros.

Posted by: Otis | September 25, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Jan 1977 - I can't speak for all democrats, but personally I don't "expect you to vote for" Obama. Much like the two posts after yours - Benjamin's "democrats are the result of aliens and sheep breeding" and Jasemins "the bible tells us that democrats are evil" - I expect you'll vote republican. Long ago, I stopped expecting irrational people to vote rationally,

Posted by: todd | September 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Man, this is some good weed. I didn't realize how deep I can seem on this stuff.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: todd | September 25, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"And you Democrats expect me to vote for
two total empty suit losers like Obama and
Biden,do you? NO WAY I WILL! NOBAMA!"

Actually, I could care less who you vote for. In fact, I would consider it a personal favor if you put your uninformed, racist-tainted, ignore-reality vote with the party and candidates it belongs with. It creeps me out just thinking I could share anything with the likes of someone who expresses themselves as you do.

Posted by: Cultural Amnesia | September 25, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Todd, I hope you realize that the irrational people you speak of plan to vote for the empty suited men, thus the lack of rational voting.

Posted by: JR | September 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I also hope you realize I'm not wearing any pants, and I have a photo of NObama taped to my chair... oooooooo... so good.

Posted by: JR | September 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

My Barry be gonna up all y'alls welfare checks! When he be taxin da rich he be gonna give all you mo-fo's a raise!

KFC and spinners fo all y'all mo-fo's!

Posted by: Michelle Obama | September 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

OK- Do you not remember that Obama wanted someone who would speak his mind. That's all Joe Biden is doing - I think a lot of Republicans and Democrats would agree the the AIG bailout and the Investment banking bailout are not a direction they are happy with, and for some really good reasons. But Joe Biden is a good guy and I am still voting for Obama-Biden. I didn't like the dopey computer ad either - mainly because there is a staggering wealth of materials you can criticize McCain-Palin about besides whether or not John can turn on his laptop. A WHOLE WEALTH OF STUFF

Posted by: M E R | September 25, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The conservative press has marginalized Biden because of its infatuation with Palin. That is why there has not been as much coverage.

Also, I really believe that these gaffes do not matter so much. He says what he is going to say -- the political markets have already discounted for his "shoot from the lip" style. What he brings is 1. Good retail campaigning style (he's a likeable guy) and 2. foreign policy experience.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hmm... Would this make him a "maverick?"

Posted by: mobedda | September 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Hmm... Would this make him a "maverick?"

Posted by: mobedda | September 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Blames Democrats for Financial Crisis, Bill Clinton Agrees
NewsBusters.org ^ | September 25, 2008 -

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008
Going very much against the media meme that the current financial crisis is all George W. Bush and the Republicans' fault, Bill Clinton on Thursday told ABC's Chris Cuomo that Democrats for years have been "resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards and tighten up a little on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac" , relevant section at 2:45).

Whether he knew it or not, Clinton was going against virtually all press outlets that have been pointing fingers at Republicans since this crisis began, and likely much to the dismay of such folk actually agreed with a Fox News segment aired on Tuesday's "Special Report"

Posted by: jake | September 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree with a lot of the comments so far. As gaffes go these don't hurt the campaign much. I have a hunch that the polls bear this out. The talk about Biden being put in a bunker is probably wishful thinking.

Posted by: Chicago | September 25, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The noun is "naif", doofus, with a diaeresis over the 'i'.

Posted by: aeschylus | September 25, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks guys! I was hoping you would all forgive me for being an f'ing retard.

Truth is it was Reagan that was on TV when the stock market crashed in 1929.

Posted by: Joey Biden | September 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I just wet myself.

Posted by: aeschylus | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

My friends, Barack knew what he was getting with Biden. I mean the man has a reputation for inserting foot in my mouth like I do. Now you see why I keep Palin under lock and key most days, my friends.

Posted by: JohnMcCain | September 25, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That's right John, and thank you for speaking up. Of course, you do speak up quite a bit, not like that uppity Barry that's leading my ticket. All he's good for is reading his script and playing with celebrities.

Posted by: Joey Biden | September 25, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The mainstream media ruthlessly and endlessly repeats any McCain gaffes, while ignoring Obama gaffes. You have to go to weird little Internet sites to see all the stammering and stuttering that Mr. Obama needs before getting out a sentence fragment or two. But all you see on the networks is an eventual one or two clear sentences from Mr. Obama. Nor do you see Mr. Obama's ludicrous gaffe that Iran is a tiny country and no threat to us. Nor his 57 American states gaffe. Nor his forgetting, if he ever knew, that Russia has a veto in the United Nations. Nor his whining and puerile "come on" when he is being challenged. This is the kind of editing one would expect from Goebbels' disciples, not Cronkite's.

Posted by: Michelle Obama | September 25, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

While I agree that Joe Biden can sometimes be his own worst enemy, none of the above was discussed in your post. And I certainly don't think his gaffes are any less embarrassing than Sarah Palin's promise to 'get back to yah' during the Katic Couric interview.

Posted by: VoiceofReason | September 25, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Obama is not exactly setting the world on fire with his intellect, either. He was quoted this morning (on the radio) as saying that the winner of the election would be responsible for making decisions (about the economy) in about 40 days. Apparently, he does not realize that the new president is not inaugurated until January 20, which means the winner takes over the responsibility in 4 months, not 40 days.

Can't help wondering about the future of this country when McCain, Palin, Obama, and Biden are the "best" we can come up with to run the place.

Posted by: Sick of them all | September 25, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden is said to be a nice guy and well liked by his senatorial colleagues. He is also a proven plagiarizer, having given a speech in his failed 1988 run for the Democratic presidential nomination that was lifted from Neil Kinnock, the British Labor party leader, a few weeks before. He is also a known bloviating blowhard prone to verbal gaffes. Were he a Republican, the mainstream media would pillory him for his serial mistakes, but instead they provide cover as they do for Obama's mistakes.

Posted by: Paul Bloustein | September 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

It's absurd to think that a presidential nominee and his/her VP nominee should be expected to agree on every issue, though I agree that the VP should know his partner's positions (Does Palin? Does McCain even know his own positions?). Often nominees don't even agree with the party's platform (note that this is the case with McCain). Had McCain gotten his first choice for VP, he would have been at odds with him, Liberman, on the all-important issue of abortion. Biden has already shown that he disagrees with Obama on the theological question of when life begins, though he knows Obama's position and, like Obama, he is pro-choice.

The idea that journalists and rabid partisans should keep repeating slips of the tongue of either candidate is absurd. No one thinks Obama doesn't know there are 50 states. No one thinks Biden believes that TV was around in 1933 (he meant radio and fireside chats). No one think Palin believes she is at the top of the ticker. However, when one doesn't know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite, that's more than a slip of the tongue, as is saying that the fundamentals of the economy are sound.

Posted by: Dave | September 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting republican this year. The democrats left a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Monica Lewinsky | September 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If only NOBAMA was in office instead of Clinton when I was interning... that would have been sweet!

Posted by: Monica Lewinsky | September 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Interesting.

Posted by: corones | September 25, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine Biden in his court jester suit greeting the heads of state at the white house.

Posted by: 12oreo | September 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I heard Palin recieved a blessing so she wouldn't become a witch. Too bad it didn't work.

Posted by: digby2 | September 25, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Has Palin learned where Mexico is yet?

Posted by: digby2 | September 25, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

" A WEEK OF GAFFES FOR A VP S.PALIN " ? WELL, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AND HEARD NOTHING YET. SHE WILL BE REMEMBERED AS THE JOKE OF 2008 !

Posted by: mtavro | September 26, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Katies asks: What "lesson" have you learned from the war in Iraq?

The problem with this question is it is a Catch22. First, and foremost, she cannot have learned any "lesson" from the war, because she was not involved in ANY WAY with national or world politics until recently. So how can she learn any "lessons" from it? But if she doesn't answer then the media perceives her to be an idiot, and if she DOES provide an answer then they confirm that she is the "same" as Bush.

Bottom line: She cannot win with the media, and certainly not with anyone that claims to be a liberal democrat. They have already made up their minds and nothing will sway them.

It's ok though that Obama is being investigated for questionable spending of $100,000 of taxpayer money. But do you see anyone asking him about that on the nightly news? Has anyone asked Joe Biden what lesson he learned from the Clinton Administration? Of course not. These two men are put up on a trophy case and presented to the world to be free of sin and the savior of not only this country but of the world. That's going to be a lot to live up to. But something tells me that they will be riding the wave of "our ideas didn't work, but it's because of the Bush administration" for the next four years and still come out smelling like roses.

As sickened as I am with the media and their relentless bashing of McCain/Palin, I am still voting for them, and I hope a lot of other people will too.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Dat's right MTAFRO! You tell all those mo-fo's. Dat Joey Biden be pretty funny too tho.

Posted by: MichelleObama | September 26, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse