Controlling Campaign Fever

At this stage in the blogosphere wars, I guess I'm supposed to weigh in with some pithy -- no, make that snarky -- comments about the McCain/Palin ticket, since I've had good things to say about Barack Obama during his dustup with the Clintons during the Democratic primaries.

All in good time.

But what concerns me most today -- with more than 50 days before we enter the polling booths -- is whether there will be anyone left among this year's class of political junkies and uber-partisans to cast a vote on election day.

Folks are going at it as if everything that's building up inside has to get said -- shared with the world -- within the last five minutes, or all is lost.

For the sake of the nation, not to mention your families and your own blood pressure, pace yourselves, please.

There's plenty of time to take the full measure of Gov. Sarah Palin, her running mate John McCain (couldn't resist), Barack Obama and Joe Biden -- the last of whom will make headlines the likes of which you haven't seen before this whole thing is over. It's in Biden's DNA.

Let's be grown ups about this.

America's latest sweetheart.

At least it's worked so far on Main Street.

And Obama supporters have walked into the trap, treating every Palin blemish as an out-of-control cancer.

Sure, there's stuff about her that should give pause to any thinking American, regardless of party or ideology.

But Sarah Palin is not the devil incarnate, and it's a waste of time -- as well as self-defeating -- to spend time and energy trying to make her out to be what she's not. There's enough time to present the real Sarah McCain to continental America.

Like-wise, McCain forces are working overtime to convince voters that the Antichrist has arrived on U.S. shores in the guise of a senator from Illinois who will defeat our precious nation from within once in the White House -- if we lose our minds and vote for him in November.

Cool it y'all. There's always tomorrow.

What America needs at this moment is a good night's sleep.

At least I do.

By Colbert King  | September 9, 2008; 5:40 PM ET
Categories:  King  | Tags:  Colbert King
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Painting Virginia Red
Next: A Maverick Act With Limits

Comments

Colbert,

What do you think of this NYT article:

It suggests that ***Sen. McCain married into an organized crime family.*** If that is the case, then we do not have to pace ourselves, we just need to get the rest of the mainstream media to DO THEIR JOBS and inform the good people of this country of that.

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 9, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

This blog entry by King was a wishy-washy waste of time to read

Posted by: roje | September 9, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Mr King's comment. Last week I was actually stressing out over the fear of a McCain/Palin win. I'd stay up late reading the Internet after working all day and then having to get up early the next morning. I realized Sunday that it was time to take a time out.

I haven't changed my opinion of a McCain/Palin White House but....I agree that the revelations regarding Palin and McCain (I put him last because there is an overweighted focus against Palin, and we need to remember his indiscretions and failings too)need to be revealed but maybe the rest of the world needs time to digest the truth and get out of their place of denial. We also need to let the Democrats after working out a successful strategy take on McCain/Palin.

I am choosing to have faith at least for right now that the right choice will prevail in the end; that dirty politics will lose in the end.

If it doesn't start to take place soon then that is another story.

Posted by: Linda | September 9, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama should say, The Only change McCain will bring to the White House is when someone has to change his depends. Obama Comon You have to hit harder. Maybe he should bring up Sarah Palins alledged affair. Or any other of the numerous scandals. http://www.hotpres.com

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Obama needs to hit harder on these two.

Bring up Sarah Palins alledged affair. Or any other of the numerous scandals. HotPres.com

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone sleep?

Posted by: Olive | September 9, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It's very hard to relax and trust that 'good will out' after the last 2 elections, & 8 years of this ugly mess. I hope you're right.

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

For those who say Obama should ramp it up, I think he's doing just fine. I would like to see him get mad, but it wouldn't do us any good. Mr. King, I wish I could sleep, but I can't.

Posted by: Olive | September 9, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Neither candidate will change the way of our country. I'm sorry but the truth of the matter is that the people inside this country need to change. Everyone borrows like tomorrow is their last day on earth with no intention of paying back their debts. That is why we are where we are. It has nothing to do with the puppets you think are running this country.

Posted by: James | September 9, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

NO ABORTION EVEN IN THE CASE OF RAPE AND INCEST,TEACH CREATIONISM IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS,"GOD" SENT US TO THE IRAQ MISSION,NO SEX EDUCATION IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS(SEE DAUGHTER FOR RESULTS)RIGHT TO INVADE ANOTHER COUNTRY EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NOT BEEN ATTACKED AND GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT MOSTLY MAN MADE-IF YOU AGREE PLEASE VOTE PALIN/McCAIN!

Posted by: B RUBIN | September 9, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I liked this commentary! I think most of what I've seen by the media has been false.
With an open mind, post your questions at www.factcheck.org. and they will do the real work for you. They find the facts out for each candidate, and they are not getting this stuff from you tube sites.
Be responsible citizens and do your own home work instead of believing the crap posted here and there by bigots and fools.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by: Mike in MD. | September 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

If you don't find the idea of Sara Palin in the White House terrifying in the extreme, you are not paying attention. This is not the time to "cool it." This is the time to alert the public to this very scary lady.

Posted by: MRT | September 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

"Give credit to the McCain team. They have, thus far, executed a well-crafted rollout of their vice presidential nominee. Everything they've tried has worked superbly, even their underhanded attempt to cast the media as bigoted, left-wing bullies out to destroy
America's latest sweetheart."

Like most Democrats, King thinks California can count on Democrats like Obama can count on the black vote.
I think California is going to be in play soon.
As far as the "underhanded Republicans casting the media as left-wing billies..." if the shoe fits....

Posted by: Cindy | September 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I can't get any sleep either, I keep having dreams of Palin giving it to Obama with a strap on. I wake up screaming, and I have to go to the computer and look at Obama's finely crafted logo until I can calm down. It's terrible, I need to see my Dr. but I think he's a Republican and I just don't think he will understand.

Posted by: Mark | September 9, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

This election, no matter who wins, settles nothing. It's now at the point where we truly DESPISE each other. You think anything will change after the election????

I can no longer even stand to talk to an American who labels themselves as a "liberal".

We are heading into "historic" times indeed...

Posted by: Sigh | September 9, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree that there are plenty of speeches, gaffes, interviews and debates to go before Nov. 4, and getting all worked up at this point is premature.

I don't think, however, that the Obama campaign has fallen into some sort of Sarah Palin "trap" so much as the news media has been busy crafting a prizefight out of a foregone conclusion. It may not be entirely by design, but it's certainly being helped along.

Ratings sell ads, and no one wants to watch a blowout.

Posted by: Steve D. | September 9, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

What Americans needs is no more repblican candidates with a satchel full of lies at every whistlestop.

We are TIRED of the lies from republicans.

Posted by: Cyrus Clarke | September 9, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I am a working mother of a special needs child. I work at home to be able to manage to doctors' appointments, necessary PT and OT sessions, above and beyond what the school district allows, and yes I am pro-choice. That doesn't mean I am pro-abortion, but pro-CHOICE. I am a soccer mom, and all kinds of other things mom. So are many of you.

I personally am not validated by Sarah Palin's candidacy. What kind of advocate will she be for me and my son? She never said. I'll tell you one thing, though. She is the beneficiary of some pretty decent health insurance provided by the state of Alaska. How many other disabled kids fall by the wayside because they don't have the access to care that Trig will have? What kind of advocacy will she provide to fix that?

What kind of advocate will she be for my soccer-playing, softball-throwing, 7-yea old -A-student daughter? I don't want my daughter to be raped and be told she has to keep the baby. I don't want the world's leader in unwed teenage pregnancies to continue to teach abstinence only in many of its states.I want my children to have more opportunities than I had, not less. But college is getting less and less affordable and less and less money is given to families to help them afford paying for their childrens' college education. How is this being an advocate for working families? My husband and I are lucky. We have jobs that pay pretty well. But we fear that even with all our savings, we won't be able to send our daughter to the best college she will want to go to.

Sarah Palin cites her executive experience. I do not doubt she has served in that capacity. The question is: how well? I don't feel someone that has turned a city from a surplus to a deficit budget deserves a promotion, do you? We would demote any employee that ran our business into the red column. We have had to bail out Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae because of years of mismanagement! Can YOU imagine running a business so badly and still getting paid for it? Most of us would have lost our jobs years ago. The kids have been running the candy store! And yet, there seems to be no call to task for the party that allowed the Bear Stearns, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac fiascoes to happen, because they consistently looked the other way.

I applaud and honor the long service John McCain has given our country. But he has done the US a grave disservice by picking a VP who isn't a maverick at all, but represents everything the far right wanted on the ticket. If he were truly a maverick, he would have picked Joe Lieberman or Sue Collins of Maine. But he caved and played a cynical game thinking all women will vote for Sarah Palin because she is a mom. Well so am I and so are you, but no one is asking US to be VP...more's the pity, I think :) Maybe they should.

In any event, the Palin pick cost McCain my vote. I was on the fence before, but anyone who thinks I am voting for a woman just because she is a woman cannot have any respect for me as a woman at all.

Posted by: No way, no how, no McCain and Palin! | September 9, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

to S. Chambers-

You are obviously thoughtful and passionate, which I respect. However, I disagree with nearly everything you stated in your post, which just goes to show how two people can look at roughly the same the evidence and come to opposite conclusions. I have seen no evidence or reporting to suggest that the rowdy protester at the RNC was affiliated with the Democratic Party - please tell me where you learned that - I would be very interested to know. I respect John McCain for his ad during Obama's acceptance speech, but when I watched the RNC, I was completely turned off by what I perceived to be a "bait and switch." Party elder after party elder came on to demonize Obama and his supporters - not on the issues, but for being snobbish and unpatriotic. Gov. Palin delivered her speech effectively, but the substance was more "mean girl" politics. Then McCain rode in to save the day with a "feel-good" speech that offered no substance that I could discern.

As for the "dirty politics" - I see things completely the opposite. Obama had the good sense and manners to immediately and clearly say that the attacks on Palin's family were WRONG. Meanwhile, McCain has not found the time to discredit smears on Obama's family or religious background, and has made other types of personal attacks on Obama a centerpiece of his campaign.

I used to see McCain as a good man, and early this year could easily have imagined myself voting for him. Now, having seen the lengths he will go to just to win, the thought of a McCain/Palin White House literally keeps me up at night with worry and fear.

Posted by: Susan | September 9, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry be happy. Barack and company are doing just fine. The Sara Palin pnenomena will soon wither. If not, then the vote has either been rigged or the majority of the voting public are idiots. After all another voting conclusion somewhat like the vote in 2000 is no longer far fetched.

Posted by: marvin | September 9, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm a total Palin/McCain supporter/fan, and a woman who used to be a lukewarm McCain supporter who is know completey energized and excited, and I thought it was great that you are able to acknowledge that she's not the "devil incarnate." I've read and heard some pretty gawsh darn nasty things said about her-- she's "white trash," "redneck," "stupid," "evil," etc.

I don't support Obama but I also don't bash him with condemning superlatives.

Posted by: Ashleigh | September 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

He is already MAD, his pasture taught him this for the last 20 years.

Posted by: Jimmy | September 9, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

S Chambers isn't a real person. I've seen that post on at least 2 other blogs today.

Posted by: john s | September 9, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Carol McCain (Former Mrs. John McCain)
Carol McCain

McCain likes to illustrate his moral fiber by referring to his five years as a prisoner-of-war in Vietnam . And to demonstrate his commitment to family values, the 71-year- old former US Navy pilot pays warm tribute to his beautiful blonde wife, Cindy, with whom he has four children. But there is another Mrs. McCain who casts a ghostly shadow over the Senator's presidential campaign. She is seldom seen and rarely written about, despite being mother to McCain's three eldest children.

She was the woman McCain dreamed of during his long incarceration and torture in Vietnam 's infamous 'Hanoi Hilton' prison and the woman who faithfully stayed at home looking after the children and waiting anxiously for news. But when McCain returned to America in 1973 to a fanfare of publicity and a handshake from Richard Nixon, he discovered his wife had been disfigured in a terrible car crash three years earlier. Her car had skidded on icy roads into a telegraph pole on Christmas Eve, 1969.

Her pelvis and one arm were shattered by the impact and she suffered massive internal injuries.

When Carol was discharged from hospital after six months of life-saving surgery, the prognosis was bleak. In order to save her legs, surgeons had been forced to cut away huge sections of shattered bone, taking with it her tall, willowy figure. She was confined to a wheelchair and was forced to use a catheter. Today, she stands at just 5' 4" in and still walks awkwar dly, with a pronounced limp. Her body is held together by screws and metal plates and, at 70, her face is worn by wrinkles that speak of decades of silent suffering.

For nearly 30 years, Carol has maintained a dignified silence about the accident, McCain and their divorce. But last week at the bungalow where she now lives at Virginia Beach, a faded seaside resort 200 miles south of Washington, she told The Mail on Sunday how McCain divorced her in 1980 and married Cindy, 18 years his junior and the heir to an Arizona brewing fortune, just one month later.

My marriage ended because John McCain didn't want to be 40, he wanted to be 25. You know that happens...it just does.'

In 1979 - while still married to Carol - he met Cindy at a cocktail party in Hawaii . Over the next six months he pursued her, flying around the country to see her. Then he began to push to end his marriage. Some of McCain's acquaintances are less forgiving, however. They portray the politician as a self-centered womanizer who effectively abandoned his crippled wife to 'play the field'. They accuse him of finally settling on Cindy, a former rodeo beauty queen, for financial reasons.

Ted Sampley, who fought with US Special Forces in Vietnam and is now a leading campaigner for veterans' rights,
said: 'I have been following John McCain's career for nearly 20 years. I know him personally. There is something wrong with this guy and let me tell you what it is -deceit.'

When he came home and saw that Carol was not the beauty he left behind, he started running around on her almost right away. Everybody around him knew it. Eventually he met Cindy and she was young and beautiful and very wealthy. At that point McCain just dumped Carol for something he thought was better."

McCain is the classic opportunist. He 's always reaching for attention and glory,' he said. After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona . And the rest is history.'

Ross Perot, a billionaire Texas businessman, and a former presidential candidate, who paid her medical bills all those years ago, now believes that both Carol McCain and the American people have been taken in by a man who is unusually slick and cruel - even by the standards of modern politics.

Posted by: priscilla | September 9, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe at some point before the election they'll actually let Palin say something that hasn't been scripted for her. Ever since she was picked for McCain she's made only a few comments of her own, and they validate the Republican leadership's deepest fears - she just doesn't know very much.

Posted by: DS | September 9, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

LOL! I'm laughing my ass off at the Libs and lesbos screaming at the top of thier lungs about any dirt or dust they can drag up be it real or imagined. the Obama train is derailed and headed for a gorge. Wait until people quit lying to the pollsters about who they are really going to vote for and oboba gets about 30% of the General vote.

LOL you whiners, I hope you never get any sleep because of the lies and lack of moral carachter of Obama....roflo!!! GHod Bless America and I hope that Obama heads right back into the arms of Rev Jerimiah Wright ( black church busted sleeping with white woman lol) and his militant wife. Hey Oprah....how you doin you racist!!

Posted by: Ricco Ratso | September 9, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

S. Chambers -

Didn't I just read your "letter" from "a Lifelong Democrat" in response to a Boston Globe smear piece by Jane Swift? Yeah, "S. Chambers" - you are a
lifelong Democrat" who has switched to Palin/McCain like I am the Easter Bunny.

S. Chambers is a TROLL, a swiftboating smear planter. Dont get suckered by the despicable tactics that make a mockery of our election process!!!!!!!! Everyone, listen up: Obama did NOT call Sarah Palin "a pig in lipstick". Go to factcheck.org or watch the video of the actual town hall meeting in which it happened on barackobama.com. He was referring instead to McCain's support of Bush's policies. The Republican platform that McCain will continue is the "pig in lipstick", as in, Something that can't be dressed up or disguised as something it's not.

Much like S. Chambers "herself".

Posted by: Citizen Jane | September 9, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

S.Chambers you have been a republican all your life, you little tool you. Stop trying to pretend to be some frustrated democrat who suddenly saw the light. If McCain and Palin the awoke you from your democratic slumber, then you are really pathetically stupid which only proves that you have always been a republican.

Yea, you go Dude (women no longer use 'You go girl'too cleche).

I see that the dept. of education never did you much for your intellectual development so lets do as McCain suggests.

"I would certainly favor doing away with the Department of Energy and I think that given the origins of the Department of Education," the Senator said on CNN's Late Edition in December 1994. "I would favor doing away with it as well."

He said as much in his acceptance speech and elsewhere. He told the NAACP to push African Americans toward vouchers as a way to get a better education.

So the average child for private elementry school for a year is $8,000. How much of a voucher will that cover that bill? How much is the government will to pay? For a family with 3 kids that is annually $24,000. Most families should have no problem paying this, right?

Now lets add health insurance costs to that. Annually a family of 5 - 3 kids under 10 years old and two parents under 35 years old - is about $6,500. If your over fifty and the kids are in college, health insurance will be about $20,000. And we all know those cheap tuition costs for colleget that most families are glad to pay.

So do way with the Dept of Education and get McCain's health insurance program because the American people should be more than happy to take those cost off the back of the US govt. and American corporations.

Personnally, I would love to add and additional $25,000 to $80,000 per year to bills.

Posted by: basementfrog | September 9, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Why is Obama campaigning against Palin? Does he not know she is only the VP nominee? Maybe Biden can help Obama..oh that's right, Obama has Biden going to retirement homes to represent him and he has to have Hillary go and defend him because he is so weak. He is just really pissed Palin got more publicity and took the spotlight from him!

Posted by: dragonfly777 | September 9, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

good call ms. citizen jane.

Smart women are a joy for all.

Too bad about Palin.

Posted by: basementfrog | September 9, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Jimmy...get out the dictionary.
Your spelling and your ignorance make it hard for halfway informed folks with a high school education to NOT feel "elite":

"He is already MAD, his pasture taught him this for the last 20 years."

Posted by: Steve D. | September 9, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Look at the sincere comments from the Dem party to one of their own. They are exactly what I said. They turn on their own party members who don't agree or think for themselves. No room in the Dem party if you do not blindly accept anything they say or do. The Party is everything and you must accept anything for the party right or wrong. There is no room for the individual! One blogger said he had to focus on Obama's logo to calm down??? What is that? A frightening cult not a party. How bizarre! If the current Dem party takes office, throw away the American Flag, throw away the National Anthem, throw away the Presidential Seal and the Constitution, because Obama's CHANGE will have his logo replace all of this so the people may ow down to this weirdo.

Posted by: dragonfly777 | September 9, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Susan, to answer your question. One of the members of the liberal media provided them with passes that were designated for media personal only.

I know this because members of another media, while on camera spotted a man's name tag on a women and asked where she got the name tag as it obviously wasn't hers.

Posted by: dan | September 9, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

The Fossil and The Bimbo need to be hit hard

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

S. Chambers, If you put something in quotes and attribute it to someone, it should at least be true. Your post is full of the most obvious lies, I don't guess your fooling anyone. Democrat my a$$!

Posted by: Fred L. | September 9, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

No questions, please; Palin sticks to her script.

How can the GOP pretend Palin is ready to be commander in chief when she is not ready to meet the press?
She is a sham. UNPREPARED.

She's going to be great on the VP debate. She will be back in Alaska this week, memorizing Rove's talking points. McCain now admits that Rove has a role in the McCain campaign. He is writing Palin's word for her to say. When the debate happens, she is going to repeat her scripted lines, THERE YOU GO AGAIN, no matter what the other candidate says.
Clever, but incapable of actually BEING commander in chief.
NO MATTER. ROVE WILL MAKE HER DECISIONS FOR HER IF McCain dies.
DO YOU WANT TO ELECT KARL ROVE AS MASTER MIND AFTER HIS DEBACLE OF IRAQ?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I remember the cold chills I first got when McCain announced Palin. I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that the Right was going to steal this election from the American people again.
(As a matter of fact, it was just after I got off the phone with my wife and daughter. They're "Obama chicks" partying it up in Colorado. "Girls' month out," they call it.)
What had me concerned at first was that there are people out there, I believe, who won't accept that Barack Obama IS and MUST BE the only person for the job of President. They don't seem to get that we, as a country, can not let one more day go by without the REAL leader taking control, and the the only one truly entitled to be President is Barack Obama.
But then I remembered the incredibly short attention span of the electorate, God love 'em. We just wait a couple of weeks, a month at most, silently...listening. Its only a matter of time before one of the two Republican candidates says something incendiary, inflammatory, alienating that shows the entire country , Democrat and Republican, for what they really are.
(Incidentally, I'm going to have to be contributing less to this blog. Maureen and Madison are bringing home some guy they met in Denver named Trey and they want me to build an office in our home so when Trey moves in, the three of them can work full-time on the Obama campaign without having to leave the house. I'm not a big fan of long-term houseguests, but fortunately, I'm out of the house all day during the week.)

Posted by: Simon | September 9, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Obama sounds more and more pathetic every single day with the personal attacks on Palin, you can not win the election by going after a single individual in negative way, such a waste of time and energy, things that in short supply for him right now. The problem with liberals that they don't have a set of core beliefs to rely on, the momment thing get rough they lost sense of direction. This is exactly happening to Obama and you shall see the unravelling of his candidacy when election time comes. Godspeed Sarah!

Posted by: patriot | September 9, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not so calm. I don't like Palin's style, so I look for things to
criticize. For example, why wasn't her daughter married last
weekend? Justice of the Peace, takes one hour.
I don't care so much about her, but does it really set the
right example for all Americans dealing with their children and
trying to get them to grow up sensible? The White House families
should be examples for the rest of us so we can tell our kids,
"try to grow up and be somebody like Abe" or "Dwight David" or
whoever it is. I've heard that some Democrats failed that test too.

Posted by: Richaado/California | September 9, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article. Mr. King wants us to sleep. Physician, heal thyself.

Posted by: Olive | September 9, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Citizens who do not vote are irresponsible.

If an important decision has to be made and they refuse to vote then they are abandoning the right to vote.

Rights are protected by duties. I believe in compulsory voting.

Some of you will scream at the mere suggestiion of compulsion and say that my suggestion is undemocratic. Well, I say to you that not voting is a delinquent abandonment of one's duty to accept responsibility.

Use It or Lose It. Do not tell me that others, strangers, can make this important decision for you.

Those who voted in the last two elections put the worst president in history into office. Everyone is responsible for this failure.

Today, McCain and the GOP (former backers of Bush) are asking you to back an unknown. They are telling you to trust Palin.

I say you should vote so that your vote counts. If you want a moose eating secessionist as your next VP then give John your vote. If you want Change then vote for Obama. However, do not expect that Change will come quickly or easily.

If you want to stay in Iraq and have a soaring national debt then vote for John.

You have to make the choice.

Posted by: Robert James | September 9, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin lies infront of us. What kind example is she going to portrait to our children. If we elect these liars, our country and our people are going into a big hole. They don't really care about us, they only care about themselves and personal interest. Americans, get the facts,and stand up for us, and for our children's future. We don't like liars! Dumped Mcshame and Barbie Palin. Go back to Alaska and spread your lies but with millions of Americans. Shame on you.

Posted by: goldieluck | September 9, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Mr. King gives good advice. Just one more comment here, another there, and here is a premise that can't go unchallenged. And so, to bed, perchance to sleep, perchance to get right back up and add another comment to that blog. Sitting, stroking in the semi-darkness,
phantasmagoric forms appear. Voices speak when no one is there. Take it from me, folks, one who has been over the edge. Nip it in the bud. Take Mr.King to heart, and get some sleep before you wind up in the hospital talking pig latin, or driving on the wrong side of the road. Also, you Obama workers, lay off the Red Bull and Slim Jims. Proper nutrition is the key to good health. Sleep is another. We all get our exercise.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

To Patriot, How much did they pay you? You are pathetic and selfish. Hopefully, when this election is over, think about your pathetic atittude and make your guilty feelings misserable.

Posted by: goldieluck | September 9, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

There's that old line that "You usually will decide on how you feel about a person from the first few minutes". Most people saw Palin during her speech, and decided they liked her (or hated her). I've entered some blogs and am starting to get tired of blogging (and blogged out now). Like myself, there's people who saw who are candidates are, and have sort of made their minds because quite frankly the last stretch to election day is when candidates sling mud and bag each other, whioh people tune out to. Everthing sort of becomes, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Owah, Owah, Owah!!! The details may carry some truths, lies, distortions. But hey, most of us have a life to live and are not political animals. As most cynical citizens believe, it's all the same ole politics, with different asses but same old stinkin doo-doo!!!

Posted by: OnDeciding | September 9, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OnDeciding | September 9, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Fighting back is one thing, cheap shots, half-truths, name calling, belittling is another. The second is like a bunch of monkeys in the tree tops, screaming at the top of their lungs, flinging dung at the tiger strolling down below them. They belive they "scared" the tiger, so they won. The tiger ignores them because they aren't worth his time. If you want to win a debate you need to bring your "A" game, not the peanut gallery.

Posted by: Marx Bro | September 9, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

If the choices Robert James offered were the only ones to choose, from I'd vote for Obama. But looking beyond the kool-aid haze gives other views. I look at everything out there and make my own choices, based on my observations, as do the great majority of informed voters(thank God)

Posted by: Lodie | September 9, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

S. Chambers, the PUMA cloaked Republican racist posing as a Democrat, is posting this on every comment section. PUMA has been thoroughly debunked on Hardball, watch the video:

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey, SHOUT OUT to S. Chambers (September 9, 2008 7:57 PM):

If you are so, like, passionate about Palin, then why don't you, like, even know how to SPELL HER NAME?

And if you really are, like, a woman (and not, like, Steve Schmidt in drag, then do you really, like, think that McCain's rape joke, as reported in the Tucson Citizen, is, like, funny?

"Did you hear the one about the woman who is attacked on the street by a gorilla, beaten senseless, raped repeatedly and left to die? When she finally regains consciousness and tries to speak, her doctor leans over to hear her sigh contently and to feebly ask, ‘Where is that marvelous ape?’"

And were you, like, tickled pink by his Chelsea Clinton joke:

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
Because her father is Janet Reno."

Just wondering ...

Posted by: Hugh Briss | September 10, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I find faulty wording in my post on s. chambers. I will reword:

S. Chambers, the PUMA cloaked Republican racist posing as a Democrat, is posting on every comment section. PUMA has been thoroughly debunked on Hardball, watch the video:

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Regardless who wins this is a hell of a fun time.

Posted by: reason | September 10, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Typo? Sarah McCain? do you have pithy comments about O'Biden?

Posted by: Steve | September 10, 2008 4:34 AM | Report abuse

Mr. King has made a very good point here.
All this frenetic action is getting us nowhere. Since I have had a good sleep,
I now have a recommendation for anyone reading this blog: Follow your leaders.

If you think means-spirited attacks and lies are the way to go, follow the people who best represent that point of view.

If you think the only way to fight fire is with gasoline, see above. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So do what they do. Keep it ugly, stupid.

If you really hate the politics of destruction and want to move on from that, follow the leader who refuses to stoop to that level. Follow the leader who charts his own course rather than following every kind of red herring the other side lays down or hitting back at every little slap. Has that leader delivered on time for you, every time? Then now is the time to show some faith in your leader. Stop telling him
what ad to make or what strategy to use.
His strategy is the one that has taken you this far. Therefore, follow his lead:
Remain calm, and ignore the childish
back and forth. Watch him and do what he does. If you want a leader and not someone who is merely a cobbled-together reflection of opinion polls and focus groups and Karl Rove's intution---if you want a leader who will LEAD the public, rather than follow them, FOLLOW that leader.

Posted by: Jackie Blue | September 10, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: patriot | September 9, 2008 10:01 PM

----

Outstanding insight, patriot. Thank you!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Moderator: Please pull S Chambers off this blog site..S Chambers is reposting content! I can do the same, but choose not to clutter the blog up. S Chambers should follow the rules. But like many Rovian followers, it doesn't!!!

Posted by: No way, no how, No McCain and Palin! | September 10, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

To those who say liberals have no beliefs. We do.

- We believe in the regulation of government subsidized entities such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Why? If they take OUR money, they should be held to OUR rules. Not theirs!! Otherwise, you have the kids running the candy store..like what we had over the last 8 years!

- We believe our kids have a right to a better future than we did

- We believe that everyone has a shot at the American dream

- We believe that companies who send jobs oversees should NOT be rewarded with tax cuts and tax breaks but should be paying a higher tax on their profits

- We believe in the fundamentals that led you to where you are now: a decent education, access to health care, and the opportunity to reward hard work with upward mobility for families and their kids, instead of daily struggles jut to make ends meet

Here's some more:

- We believe our elderly, our veterans, and our disabled deserve compassionate care
and to live without worry that they will end up out on the street

- We believe that workers should be treated fairly. Remember..the party of FDR brought you the M-F workweek. NOT the Republicans. And have you noticed??? Under Republicans, we have been asked to work harder and harder for less and less.

If you want more opportunities, do not vote for the party that believes in do more with less. You know that is bs. You do less with less and our country is suffering for it.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!! You have had 8 years of disaster at the hands of Bush and his Rovian buddies. If you don't want it, vote OBAMA! WE can do better, we should do better and we need to do it now!!

Posted by: NO way, no how, no McCain and Palin | September 10, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Great post, no way, no how.
I like a quote I heard the other day, attributed to Harry Truman, it went something like, "How many times do you have to be beat over the head before you figure out who's hitting you?"

Posted by: Olive | September 10, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yeah.. just like they rushed to let America know that Obama didn't even have a clue of how many states there are in these United States. Don't you think that a presidential candidate should know at LEAST that?

Posted by: Jon | September 10, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Good Lord, do you really believe that??? A person who was graduated from the TOP law school in the country and a constitutional lawyer to boot, does not know how many states are in the Union? Oh, for Pete's sake. Use your common sense. If you did see such a claim, please post the link here.

Stop letting the scaremongers scare you and believe in a better America. Our kids deserve it! We have been afraid for 8 years. We need to DARE to dream. We have been told over and over we cannot and should not. By whom and why??? Think!!

Posted by: NO WAY, no how, NO McCAIN AND PALIN!!! | September 10, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The Republicans have destroyed America as we once knew our great country. We are now trillions in debt to foreigners, where we once had a huge surplus under Clinton. John McCain will be the death of us all if Americans are stupid enough to elect him based on these distractions and personal pot shots like people foolishly once listened to and voted for Bush when he campaigned on lies and smears like this. McCain is a two faced liar, he vowed not to run his campaign like this and here he is every day smearing away and ignoring the real issues we all now face because of McCain’s buddy Bush. In his very OWN words McCain voted OVER NINETY PER CENT of the time with Bush, what does that tell you people? are you McCain supporters really that dumb? seriously? you should all have the word SUCKER tattooed on your heads. Barack Obama is very intelligent and more than qualified to be President as he continues to prove every day with the way he handles these attacks. He has shown maturity, intelligence, toughness, love for country and that he actually seriously cares about the future of the American people and our needs in these unbearable economic times. Obama offers many solutions to our problems, McCain offers lies and attacks just like Bush did and still does. I have seen John McCain go from the maverick he once was years ago to just another lying, empty headed Neo Con just like the rest and Palin is no better. If anyone actually thinks these two money grabbing Neo Cons will bring healthy and prosperous change to the American people, to the working and middle class, they need their heads examined. Look at what they have to offer, it’s not at all what we need, not at all the kind of real solutions we need at a time when we are kicked and down after eight straight long and seriously damaging years of Republican corruption.. The Republican party lead by Bush is more responsible than anyone for the weakened and decimated state America is now in, rewarding them with four more years to do more damage would be like sticking the knife in our own backs. Remember this, Bush and Cheney are the same as McCain and Palin. John McCain recently in his own words on his close ties and relationship with Bush during the disastrous Bush years, John McCain — “The President has lead with great clarity and I think he’s done a great job leading the country don’t you all?” John McCain — “The President and I agree on most issues, there was a recent study that showed I voted with the President over 90% of the time, higher than even most of my Republican colleagues” You will regret your vote if you make the mistake of voting for the two liars McCain and Palin that claim to put ‘Country First’ instead of the American PEOPLE.

Obama / Biden All the Way!!

Posted by: Democrats 08 | September 10, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Today in America the wealthiest 1% owns more than everyone in the bottom 95% combined. Income inequality is at its greatest level since the 1920s - right before the great depression. Though the US has continued to make big gains in productivity over the last decade, nearly all of the benefit of those gains has gone to the wealthy, not the workers. American CEOs earned 411 times as much as average workers in 2005, up from 107 times in 1990. In the economic expansion of 2002-2006, the top 1% captured nearly three quarters of income growth.

This condition is not an accident, but is instead the deliberate goal of Republican economic policy. The rich write the rules! McCain's proposals will accelerate this trend further by using a tried and true method - fill the campaign dialogue with talk about social issues, personal stories, vague statements ("tax cuts"), and the trickle-down myth, and hope that middle and lower income voters do not read the details. It worked twice with Bush. While they talk about gay marriage to your face, they are literally picking your pocket from behind - systematically redistributing wealth from poor to rich. And here's the kicker - they don't think there is anything wrong with the situation! And if you vote for McCain, you are again telling them that you don't think there is anything wrong with the situation either! The high unemployment level, housing crisis, credit crunch, lower value of the dollar, high gas prices, and increasing national debt are all related to these failed policies. Standards of living in the US have continued to rise only because in most families both people work, and people work longer hours and more days per year (all for lower benefits). Something has to give...

These are the proposed tax plans for the two candidates. You can see that McCain intends to further reduce the tax burden of the wealthiest Americans at the expense of the middle and lower income families. Obama's plan increases taxes on the wealthy, especially that top 1%, to the benefit of working americans - a first step in reversing the rich-get-richer trend and toward re-building a real middle class. In fact, Obama has offered to actually raise his own taxes for the benefit of the country as a whole. Where are you in this table?

.................. MCCAIN ............. OBAMA
Income ....... Avg tax bill ....... Avg. tax bill
Over $2.9M .... -$269,364 (-4.4%)... +$701,885 (+11.5%)
$603K and up.... -$45,361 (-3.4%)... +$115,974 (+8.7%)
$227K-$603K...... -$7,871 (-3.1%)........ +$12 (+0.0%)
$161K-$227K...... -$4,380 (-3.0%)..... -$2,789 (-1.9%)
$112K-$161K...... -$2,614 (-2.5%)..... -$2,204 (-2.1%)
$66K-$112K ...... -$1,009 (-1.4%)..... -$1,290 (-1.8%)
$38K-$66K ........ -$319 (-0.7%)..... -$1,042 (-2.4%)
$19K-$38K ........ -$113 (-0.5%)....... -$892 (-3.6%)
Under $19K ......... -$19 (-0.2%)....... -$567 (-5.5%)

Posted by: ddss | September 10, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

and Sarah Palin.....Priceless!!!!

(and Taxfree)

Posted by: palin4visa | September 10, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this is great! You liberals are so irrational as to be laughable. Keep it up, gang . . . Sarah Palin is EVIL, she's TERRIFYING, she's, she's . . . WAAAAAHHHHH!

Posted by: Angry Write Mail | September 11, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

TO patriot: Actually, liberals DO have a set of core values.

"Me, Me, Me . . . and stick somebody else with the responsibility for my choices".

Example: "I"ll have sex with Whoever I want, Whenever I want". So, when they get pregnant, who pays the price for their selfish stupidity?
Exactly! - an innocent baby.

Posted by: Angry Write Mail | September 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I like Sarah Palin. She is beautiful, elegant, and sexy. She has great legs. She is what every over-40 woman wishes to see when she looks in the mirror. This woman is out there getting respect for my gender; she can bring home the moose meat, (strapped to the luggage rack), fry it up in a pan, juggle
family and gubernatorial tasks, and never let
the first dude forget he's a man Just don't mess with her inner pit bull.

Honestly, this is fun. Wouldn't every woman like to be seen in just this way?
I know I would.

But---sorry, gurlfriend---I have to vote for the smarter, better educated, more qualified team. Yes, that skinny guy with the funny ears. Oh, and--Barack Obama may not have meant Sarah Palin when he remarked about "putting lipstick on a pig." But in this instance, I do.

Posted by: Rhonda | September 11, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Someone has said, "You can't make a sow's ear out of a silk purse." There may be a very nice woman beneath that veneer of snarkiness. The only way to find out is to
hose her down, including washing off all the cosmetics, and then see what is left. The media usually gets to do this job. I don't think it's nice or helpful for anyone to imply that she is a pig before we actually know for sure that she is one.

Posted by: Jackie | September 11, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

she may not know anything, but i think she is lovely. she should be a model. it probably pays more than vice presidenting too.
lisa

Posted by: Lisa | September 11, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

ps i think those other poster girls above are trying to damp her with feigned praise.
lisa

Posted by: lisa | September 11, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I see. And the party that claims they want to get government out of your life puts a VP on the ticket that says if your wives or daughters get raped, they have to live with that "me first" decision too. Get real.

If you want to see a reduction in abortion, try educating teens intelligently on birth control. Note I said intelligently. Try valuing your daughters and making sure they have opportunities to learn and excel in school. The party that wants to cut education funds surely won't allow that to happen.

I am pretty sure I don't have to draw a diagram here. Fill in the blanks, and please don't allow the McRovers to distort the truth any longer.

Posted by: No way, no how, no McCain and Palin! | September 12, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

please draw the diagram, NWNHNMP. i think it might help some women who can't make up their minds. You mean if some drug-crazed nut with HIV rapes me and i get knocked up, mrs. palin thinks i shouldn't get the morning-after pill? thanks, lisa.

Posted by: lisa | September 12, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Yep. Mrs Palin thinks if some lunatic decides to rape you and in so doing, impregnates you, you cannot do anything about it. This is what not only believes on a personal level, but also what she wants to eventually seen made into the law of the land.

She also thinks that teenaged girls shouldn't be taught about safe sex. In the age of AIDS.

Posted by: No way, no how, no McCain and Palin!! | September 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse