Elephants and Rockers

With the Republicans all but taking the day off (I’m in the convention hall now, where the head of the platform committee is pledging that “the American way of life is worth defending,” to perfunctory applause), I scooted across the Mississippi River this afternoon to Harriett Island, where the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is sponsoring a “Take Back Labor Day” rock concert, featuring Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine, British prole-rocker Billy Bragg, and Steve Earle, among others. At a pre-concert press conference, the entertainers testified to the importance of unions to a functioning democracy (several also said they got their health insurance through the Musicians Union -- and Bragg through Britain’s National Health Service). Morello also noted that he was a member not just of the Musicians Union but the Industrial Workers of the World, better known as the Wobblies -- an alternative, I suppose, to both the AFL-CIO and the breakaway Change To Win federation, which the SEIU helped form.

I wasn’t going to say more, but I must add I’ve never seen a national political convention where the delegates sit silently, as the Republicans are doing this afternoon. Either they’ve been instructed to observe a Gustav-engendered silence, or they have been anesthetized. Or both.

By Harold Meyerson  | September 1, 2008; 5:50 PM ET
Categories:  Meyerson  | Tags:  Harold Meyerson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Story Palin Should Tell
Next: Nothing to Spit At

Comments

General elections are a bit like basketball in that there are ebbs and flows, but things don't really get serious until the end of the game.

Many of the Republican faithful didn't want to come to Minnesota anyways because, as one staffer put it "nobody like a funeral."

So it should come as no surprise that those who showed up were quiet and respectful.

McCain is going to get his butt kicked in this election. Everybody knows it. Those who don't are blind elephants who are off their rockers.

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 1, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad that on my first day at the job where I've been working for the past three years, right there during employee orientation, there was a representative from the labour union who was alloted time to urge us to sign up for membership. I did, of course. But that happened because I'm not in the United States (the country I was born in when Nixon was VICE president.) That serves to illustrate one of the many reasons why my wife and I emigrated from America.

Posted by: Bukko in Australia | September 2, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

The Republican spin machine is an amazing thing to watch, although anyone with a little common sense can readily discern the BS and lies pouring out of this propaganda device. Watching the pious G.O.P. Delegates on TV talking about prayer and respect for the Hurricane Victims and reading the stories about the behind the door parties being thrown by lobbyist and big corporations for the Delegates, one quickly gets a sense of the magnitude of the deranged thinking that fills their minds. Of course, the truth eventually comes out, but it doesn't seem to bother them as they effortlessly move on to the next bigger and better lie. These people are so hypocritical and stupid that they begin to believe their own lies. And, so it goes from day-to-day that bright and cheerful gathering known as the G.O.P. convention. Obama/Biden 08!!!

Posted by: caliguy55 | September 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

It's a freakin' joke to call this idiotic blog "Post Partisan".

Posted by: MOnty Miller | September 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

caliguy55-If you think the GOP's have big money parties? Get real those losers don't get half the parties given by the real money controlling things. You seem to forget the real money is behind the Democrats-The Republicans are wannabes when it comes to money, look who has all the money in the Senate and Congress, you are so ignorant you probably voted for Bush because you thought he was rich too.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

DeepBlue-If the Republicans are going to get beat so bad, why are the Democrats so scared? With Obama's vast experence the election should be in the bag..Right?

Posted by: MarxBro | September 2, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

What I don't understand is, why after all the attacks the last couple days, Palin's approval rating with undecided voters is going up?? What gives??

Posted by: KarlMarx | September 2, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse