Sarah Palin, Miss USA

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin should have seen the question coming. But when Katie Couric pressed her to explain what she meant about Alaska's proximity to Russia informing her foreign policy experience, Palin's answer was startling. It was a perfect example of the interview style Ruth described on Tuesday, invoking the image of "a polar bear, jumping from rhetorical ice floe to ice floe, drifting some but eventually managing to get safely to dry land." Only on this answer, Palin may have missed dry land.

This nails-on-a-chalkboard response, and the speed with which it ricocheted in cyberspace, reminded me of another embarrassing video clip of another woman aspiring to a higher position. I'm talking about 2007 Miss Teen South Carolina Lauren Caitlin in her quest to become Miss Teen USA.

Maybe it's a beauty queen thing. Palin was the second runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant in 1984. Or maybe it's that the extremely popular governor of Alaska, who has excited the Republican Party base in ways that Sen. John McCain couldn't, is not prepared to be a heartbeat away from the presidency, let alone be vice president.

By Jonathan Capehart  | September 26, 2008; 9:04 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: My Breakfast With Mahmoud
Next: The Debate: McCain's Unforced Error on the 'Bailout'

Comments

It sounds cruel to say, but the worse Palin looks, the better I feel about the future of the United States of America.

I am terrified of a country that would elect her at a time like this.

Posted by: mobedda | September 26, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Katies asks: What "lesson" have you learned from the war in Iraq?

The problem with this question is it is a Catch22. First, and foremost, she cannot have learned any "lesson" from the war, because she was not involved in ANY WAY with national or world politics until recently. So how can she learn any "lessons" from it? But if she doesn't answer then the media perceives her to be an idiot, and if she DOES provide an answer then they confirm that she is the "same" as Bush.

Bottom line: She cannot win with the media, and certainly not with anyone that claims to be a liberal democrat. They have already made up their minds and nothing will sway them.

It's ok though that Obama is being investigated for questionable spending of $100,000 of taxpayer money. But do you see anyone asking him about that on the nightly news? Has anyone asked Joe Biden what lesson he learned from the Clinton Administration? Of course not. These two men are put up on a trophy case and presented to the world to be free of sin and the savior of not only this country but of the world. That's going to be a lot to live up to. But something tells me that they will be riding the wave of "our ideas didn't work, but it's because of the Bush administration" for the next four years and still come out smelling like roses.

As sickened as I am with the media and their relentless bashing of McCain/Palin, I am still voting for them, and I hope a lot of other people will too.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

You hit the nail on the head with that comparison. Beauty pageant sound bites just aren't going to cut it. "Baked Alaska" just took on a whole new derisive meaning...except in Sarah Palin's case, it might be "half-baked Alaska."

Posted by: hopefullyenergized | September 26, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hello, Jonathan. What I found most startling was she seemed to suggest that the Russians would have to go through Alaska to attack the U.S. Really? Are they coming on dog sleds?

I'm afraid that the "relentless bashing by the media" is deserved. Seriously, I"m not even sure she's qualified to govern Alaska, especially considering the Ruskies are pacing up and down at the border.

Posted by: sarahart1 | September 26, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Please Sarah if you love America,give it up.Please tell mccky to select someone else for V.P.The charade is over!!!!!!!Give it up please pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jpurx | September 26, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The sad reality is that neither John McCain nor Sarah Palin has the requisite skills necessary to be effective political leaders in the 21st century.

Sarah Palin has demonstrated such a lack of interest in public policy issues in the 21st century that each time she speaks it is once again clear that John McCain has deliberately chosen to insult the American people. Surely he does not in his heart believe that this mental midget should be a heartbeat from the Presidency. John McCain's first Presidential decision shows exactly why he should not be allowed to have the keys to the White House.

Posted by: lavinsr | September 26, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

And Obama is prepared to lead this country? Under what experience? Please, you people are blinded by the headlights.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

About the only government post that Palin seems qualified for is ambassador to Bezerkistan.

(Yeah, I'm just soo sure that she is the one giving the order to scramble fighter jets to intercept Russian bombers on training missions abutting US airspace. - What an idiot!

She tries to pad her super-thin resume at any opportunity she can, but it only makes her look more out of her depth when she does so.. . Yeah, she's an *energy expert* alright. -- Expelling enough hot air to increase global warming more than a coal-fired power station.)
***

***

Posted by: odin966 | September 26, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The more Sarah Palin speaks the easier it will be for me to cast my vote in November. Her parroted answers and complete lack of knowledge on foreign or domestic affairs is alarming.

I feel like SNL writers couldn't have come up with something this far-fetched. A politician claiming foreign policy and relations experience through her geographic proximity to these foreign coutries. SMH. This would be hilarious if it wasn't so scary.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

Posted by: DinahS | September 26, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I suppose we are all to still believe that none of our taxes will increase except the super wealthy and that we will all have free healthcare and that our cars will instantly be converted into running on carbon dioxide as a fuel source which would not only be less expensive but save the planet from greenhouse gases and all of the terrorists will surrender under the mighty hammer of Obama.

Well, there's only a few problems with this.
1. The super wealthy have something called "deferred compensation" which means that they can put nearly all their income into tax shelters. So those taxes will either need to be paid by companies or the middle class. If companies take on this burden then will pass that expense on to consumers in the form of price rising.

2. Free healthcare will cause the number of quality doctors to seek other professions. No doctor wants to work for $50,000 a year. So if I were you, I'd take plenty of vitamins and stay indoors so you don't get hit by a bus.

3. There is no miracle alternative fuel source that will be available to this country as a whole for the next ten years or more. This means that if you are one of the lucky people with a hydrogen car, you won't have a place to fill it up (except a few towns). And even then, what will the rest of us do with the gas cars we have now? Re-invest? That would cost more than just paying $6.00 a gallon for gas. No thanks.

4. We can do all we can right here in the good old USA to fight carbon emissions, but it won't mean squat if the rest of the world doesn't follow suit... and I don't see China slowing down any time soon. One step forward, two steps back.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

What do these people have in common?
George Clinton
Daniel D Tompkins
George M Dallas
Garret A. Hobart

ANS_ stnediserp eciv era yehT

Why not Sarah Palin

Posted by: DRDO | September 26, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

tmacioszek--

Get off of it. This level of stupidity is indefensible! So I see why you would try to poke holes in the plans of my candidate while not even mentioning your own. McCain made a heck of a blunder in choosing Palin. And Palin is clearly unfit and too uneducated to even handle the job of VP, let alone President.

I hope she gives more interviews. It just continues to display her level of incompetence.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

Posted by: DinahS | September 26, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Some things that Obama and Biden have said/done, but I suppose everyone still consideres them perfect:

1. Obama: There are 57 states
2. Biden: Roosevelt went on TV in 1929 to discuss the depression
3. Biden: Hillary would be a much better vice president than me
4. Obama: Gave away $100,000 of taxpayer money for a park project, and only $3,000 of that money was ever used towards the park, the rest went into someone's pocket
5. Biden: life begins 40 days after conception (which the church has since slapped him for)

I could go on, but it won't change anyone's mind.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

So are we to believe that she scrambles the State Troopers whenever there's a border breech?

No? Okay then, it must be our Armed Forces, which means it has nothing to do with her. The Air Force/Navy/Army Brass assess and react- getting a call after it's all over explaining it to her does *not* count as experience.

Posted by: tconrad | September 26, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

DinahS,
Just like a democrat to resort to name-calling when they have nothing better to say.

Nothing I've written is false, and it can all be researched for truth. Feel free.

I certainly do not think that McCain or Palin are perfect. And I am actually fairly upset with them with the lack of exposure they are allowing to either candidate in the way of media coverage, but not for the reason that you are. You are just so full of hate that you want to see these two people burned at a stake. Your party used to be full of people that wanted "free love". Where did that go?

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek
*****************

You're working way too hard to defend the indefensible, buddy. Are you even an American voter? Your candidate rode into Washington yesterday and, while I won't charge him with blowing up the "deal," I will charge him with utter, useless grandstanding. Palin was jaw-droppingly bad, and don't kid yourself: Couric and Gibson have been feeding her softballs.

The Republican ticket is a disaster and everyone knows it. The only thing that keeps things as close as they are is irrational fear, prejudice and a pathalogical unwillingness to admit failure among some unfortunate Americans.

(BTW, in fairness, I have no problem admitting failure: current Democratic leadership in Congress in both houses, is less than stellar. I'm working hard to replace them.)

Time to give it up and clean house. The Republican party will survive and will come back stronger than ever. But this time bomb of a ticket MUST be defeated.

Posted by: abqcleve | September 26, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

DinahS,
And do please explain the experience that Obama has in leading the country through the next four years... this should be riveting.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

abqcleve,
Again with the name-calling... clearly a democrat tactic.

Good to see so many people this interested at least. But just because someone seems like they could be the next winner on American Idol doesn't mean he's fit to be president.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

For me to put it in perspective, she was the mayor of a town 2/3 the size of Tuskegee, Alabama.

Posted by: cthehill | September 26, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

cthehill,
What's your point? She is now the Governor. That's leading a lot more than being a Senator.

Will someone please explain what Obama will bring in the way of experience to be president for the next four years? Seriously... let's hear it.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

New drinking game... everytime Obama says "um" tonight during the debate, everyone take sip. We'll all be drunk before it's over.

And yes, the debate is on, in case you don't get CNN.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

tmacioszek--please, just stop it. All this "messiah" bull comes from opponents of Obama, not supporters. Nobody thinks Obama is perfect, but I have for a while thought he was the strongest candidate. I used to like McCain too, and when he became the Republican nominee I was a little torn--I'm an independent, and moderate/conservative. McCain has, however, behaved by turns like a moron and a scumbag. Everybody gets a little dirty in a political campaign, including Obama--it's a nasty business--but McCain jumped the shark. Put principle before party, and stop defending McCain's indefensible campaign and Palin's nonexistent qualifications. McCain is not cut out for the presidency, and Palin is a train wreck. If we as a country learn anything from the Bush presidency, it should be to put competent governance over political ideology. We need to grow up enough to see that our political process weeds out radicals--no viable presidential candidate is very far from the center, so just relax people. Damn.

Posted by: Holmes76 | September 26, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I saw the interview and heard a whopper about her foreign policy experience and who is providing leadership in this financial crisis. It is no wonder why she is walled off from the media because McCain is afraid that whatever she says is going to hurt him poll wise. It is the same with McCain. It reminds me of the days when Bush 41 walled off Dan Qayle after he was selected as his running mate. It is deja vu again.

Posted by: beeker25 | September 26, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Sarah is very videogenic!

Here she is getting "saved" from witches at a church in 2005. Mind you, it kinda drones on for the first 6 or 7 minutes...but then video gold:

Any body got any snakes I can handle?

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | September 26, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Holmes76,
So you're voting for Obama, not because he has the experience to lead, but because you lost faith in McCain. Interesting.

I'm still waiting to here Obama's qualifications. If someone can convince me why he should be in the white house maybe I'll change my mind.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey, tmacioszek--thanks for making me regret responding to you like an adult. If Sarah Palin is your kinda leader, go move to Alaska you twit. Or at least stop embarrassing yourself on this forum.

Posted by: Holmes76 | September 26, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Holmes76,
You people are so high and mighty. This is how "you" act like an adult? "If you don't quit talking about your candidate I'm going to pick up my ball and go home!" A tad immature on your part don't you think?

Any takers yet on Obama's qualifications?

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

You are very manly on internet forums.

I'm not voting for Obama because of his experience, I'm voting for Obama because I'm a terrorist who hates white, hard-working Americans.

Posted by: Holmes76 | September 26, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 10:14 AM

Oh really? Maybe she could have said something like, "I've learned that you have to be more skeptical of the intelligence provided by the various intelligence agencies. I've also learned that it is best to prepare for the worst in case it doesn't go as planned. I've also learned that an occupation can not be won with a limited amount of soldiers, that it takes more troops to maintain an occupation than it does to win the shooting war." Maybe she could have said that!

Posted by: NMModerate1 | September 26, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Quit the bickering until the debates. I can't wait until the candidates all have the chance to respond to the same questions. After this opportunity Republican whiners need to shut it about their candidates being treated with unfair questions.

I mean really...how on earth can you qualify Charlie Gibson or Katie Couric's questions as difficult? Have you not watched the interviews of Obama or the questions he was thrown in the primary debates? He will crush McCain. I have no doubt Palin will be ruined in the VP debate.

Posted by: mdguy218 | September 26, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, Obama has one qualification that is paramount for me, after the last eight years:

He understands and respects the U.S. Constitution.

Posted by: carlaclaws | September 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Any takers yet on Obama's qualifications?

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:50 AM

OK... 12 yewars as a legislator at the Sate and Federal level. Prior to that, a constitutional law professor, and to make sure he's grounded withthe everyday lives of ordinary Americans, a few years of community organizing, working with churches in poor Chicago neighborhoods trying to create programs to help laid-off steel workers get the retraining they needed to change careers. Prior to that, a stellar academic record at Harvard. No affirmative action here (he didn't even put on his application to Harvard that he was half African-American).
If you think that experience is the sole qualifier for he presidency, then I would assume you were supporting Bill Richardson in the Primaries as he was by far the most experienced candidate of either party. Don Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney are both far more experienced than McCain or Obama. Maybe you can write in one of their names.

Posted by: NMModerate1 | September 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Time to answer - first and foremost, you and the rest of the conservative blogosphere make a big deal out of Gov. Palin's executive experience. As each day makes clear, while being Governor of Alaska is an executive position, the qualities and qualifications required to function in that role are quite different than those of larger states in the lower 48. To backtrack a shade, her experience
as a mayor is also referred to in a positive light. What does it say, however, that one of the first acts that she took upon entering office was to hire a city manager to handle the day to day operation of the town? (No previous mayor thought that such a staffer was necessary)

But you ask - what qualifications does Senator Obama have to be president? First and foremost, this is a rhetorical question, because when you boil it down - NO ONE gains the experience necessary to become president without actually doing the job. (What are we going to do, run Tony Blair for the job?) So the experience question is totally subjective to begin with.

So, you have to ask "What qualities would I like to see in a president?" Age? Our founding fathers determined that any one over the age of 35 was qualified to be president.

First - education - not only where and how one was educated, but what accomplishments did the attain while in school? Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar, for example. Senator Obama was President of the Harvard Law review, which is demonstrative of his intellect, and powers of critical thinking.

His work as a community organizer brought him into touch with those folks that go out and earn a living every day, and gives him a sense of what their problems are. Community organizers do have to handle a myraid of tasks, juggling serveral different responsiblities at one time.

As a state senator in Illinois, he crafted legislation and worked in a state capital that represented two very different constituencies, the upsate urban Chicago area and the downstate rural area. With this role, he learned to craft comprimises and trust me, work with some of the toughest politicians in the country to do so.

On the national stage as Senator for Illinois, he was worked with and sought out counsel from experienced senators on both sides of the aisle.

Obviously, he has led an extraordinary campaign for Senator, crafting a well thought out plan to offset Senator Clinton's front runner status, sticking to the plan and making it work.

One consistent thing stated about Senator Obama throughout his career has been that he is an extraordinary consensus builder, as he listens and gives all the feeling that they have input as decisions are made. This is a great quality for a president on many levels.

Yeah, now you get to say - well so and so has done this and so and so has done that. Before you do, let me ask you a question - Everyone just flat out states "Senator McCain is an expert in foreign affairs" He may be - but has he negotiated treaties, sat with the leader of Russia and negotiated him down regarding missle allocations or picked up the phone at 3AM and called the Prime Minister of Israel and told him that his Gaza Strip settlements are waking the neighbors? No, he hasn't. So all the fact finding trips and meetings in the world are worth crap when it comes to any of this.

We won't know if either man is up to the job until they do it - it's that simple.

So shut up about experience, please.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 26, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek, Mccain is aging and showing signs of early dementia. He can't say 'what he plans to do' without reading the teleprompter or looking at his note cards. So the debate then goes to Obama and Palin. You are correct that Obama's experience is lacking when compared to previous presidential candidates. But once the comparison is between Obama and Palin, I'm no longer concerend with experience because neither has much. I'm concerned with mental ability and agility. I'd rather vote for the Harvard scholar than the one who spent five years pursuing a degree in broadcast journalism.

Posted by: dhigginb2002 | September 26, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I saw the interview recap this morning and she asked me: "So, since we flew over the Midwest a couple times, does that mean I'm an expert on farming, floods and drought now?"

Palin's struggle to find even the flimsiest examples of foreign policy expertise was painful, but a good illustration of how unqualified she is and why the media's role is so important. Kudos to Katie Couric!

Posted by: dbitt | September 26, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

DinahS,

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:30 AM
*************

I would counter by asking what experience John McCain has shown in leading this country in the past 26 years.
He's put his name on some legislation and fought against his party here and there (though on issues he has since disavowed)... so what exactly has he LED on?
Please, I welcome specifics.

Posted by: dbitt | September 26, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"5. The terrorists actually want Obama in office. They see him as a way of getting what they want and they see him as passive to take action against them. The leader of Iran already has his mouth watering over the prospect of blowing up Israel... it will probably happen on February 1st.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:10 AM "

HMM!! Foreign-sounding name. How does HE know what the terrorists want? I'm sure the FBI is looking into it already!

Posted by: thrh | September 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek, weird name, are you from Georgia?
Here some of Sen. Obama achievements:
he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

Posted by: BFranco | September 26, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm embarrassed for Palin and anyone with the gall to still support her.

If you can't see that she's light years out of her league you've really, really got the blinders on. (take tmacioszek for example)

I also thought immediately of that poor beauty pageant girl.

I also thought of the movie Billy Madison.....you know the part at the end where the teacher says:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I couldn't have said it better myself...

Posted by: RightDownTheMiddle | September 26, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Holmes76, I don't doubt that you are a terrorist.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

BFranco,
And this makes him qualified to be president? McCain has done all of that and more. Even Hillary Clinton admits that.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

thrh,
Hmm, interesting name here as well... at least I don't hide behind an abbreviation.

The bottom line is that the lesser of two evils is McCain over Obama. McCain has a proven record in the Senate of actually voting on bills instead of "present", and he's not currently being investigated for paying $100,000 to a mob figure in Chicago for a park project that never happened.

I'll take the older patriot over the younger criminal any day.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek, weird name, are you from Georgia?
Posted by: BFranco

You seem a tad racist with this remark Mr. Franco. Why is it that the party that crys the loudest about race as an issue always seems to be the guilty culprit?

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

1. Obama: There are 57 states
2. Biden: Roosevelt went on TV in 1929 to discuss the depression
3. Biden: Hillary would be a much better vice president than me

I could go on, but it won't change anyone's mind.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 11:19 AM
_________________________________

the difference between your list and palin is that obama, for example, does not KEEP STATING that there are 57 states. palin keeps repeating this nonsense.

Posted by: davids-k | September 26, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek.....

Dude (or dudette)....you need to "suspend" your posting for a bit. You're getting slayed in here.

You want to hear about Obama's leadership here goes:

For the last 7 years Obama has been against the war in Iraq, clearly seeing that it was a cluster$uck from the get-go. He's also been for finishing the war in Afghanistan by actually going after al-qaeda and bin laden (you remember Osama don't you?). As well as being for diplomacy with Iran.

Now even W is following Obama's foreign policy advice on Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. Seems like pretty good proof of having good judgment if you ask me.

Obama has passed legislation on ethics reforms and nuclear non-proliferation.

I admit these aren't issues dear to the GOP's heart so I can get why you would pooh pooh them.

Obama has also managed to bring a lot of diverse people together as one. Whereas, McCain and his jokester VP Palin have done nothing but divide this country further than even W managed to.

Obama has been calm, cool and collected regarding this financial crisis. You know...acted like a leader.

McCain.....schizo with seemingly no clue what he's doing. He couldn't even bother to read Paulson's 3 page proposal for crying out loud!

Now that I've provided reasons why Obama is a good leader.....feel free to explain how you could listen to Palin's rambling, nonsensical, downright embarrassing interview and still be confident that she's ready to be VP.

Posted by: RightDownTheMiddle | September 26, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

dbitt,
1. John McCain has more foreign policy experience having delt with several heads of state of the course of his 26 years in the Senate
2. John McCain has been an advocate for reform during his 26 years in the Senate including going against his own party when the deal wasn't in the best interest of the people
3. John McCain served in the military and nearly gave his life for this country

Do you want more?

So aside from Obama's small handful of legislation and his ample "present" votes, what has he done?

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

My neighbor has been against the war too. Maybe we should elect her for the presidency? Sorry, just being for change is not ample reason to be elected.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

thrh,

I'll take the older patriot over the younger criminal any day.

MCCAIN/PALIN

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:48 PM

------------------------------------------

Here's the attendance record for the 110th Congress according to the Washington Post's database:

John McCain: Missed 374 votes (61.8% of total)
Barack Obama: Missed 263 votes (43.5% of total)

Now do us a favor and STFU....

Posted by: RightDownTheMiddle | September 26, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I love how the democrats of this country compare Palin to Obama... as if they were running against eachother. But I would put Palin's governor experience against Obama's "present" votes any day of the week. He is an empty suit that can't say a sentence without the word "uh" more than a dozen times.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

RightDownTheMiddle,
Are you even old enough to vote? You are coming off like a spoiled child.

Obama is in bed with convicted felons. If the ruling finds that Obama mis-managed funds for the "park project", he will also be a criminal. I'm sure this is right up your ally.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

RightDownTheMiddle,
Are you even old enough to vote? You are coming off like a spoiled child.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:03 PM

------------------------------------------

You are coming off like a blind partisan hack who may just be retarded....

A good descriptor for you would be "Palinish"....

I notice you never address all the facts we provide that clearly refute the BS you post.

Instead you just post more blatant BS.

You must work for the WcCain campaign....

Posted by: RightDownTheMiddle | September 26, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

RightDownTheMiddle,
Once again proving that democrats cannot carry a legitimate conversation without resorting to childing statements and put-downs. I'm sure your parents are proud.

Please, you are so smart, can you show me one item I've provided that is not fact?

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

America has really been dumb-downed! After eight years of a President that cannot put a single sentence together without fumbling, certain people are on the side of a 72 year old man who has a temper and makes bad decisions, and a woman who is way in over her head. All the smoke and mirrors this McCain/Palin is putting out there is making certain people not see through the smog. Finally we have a person that can speak English and stays calm under pressure, very thoughtful and respected in other parts of the world and still-we just don't get it. I know Obama will win, and we will be better off as a nation.

Posted by: virep8 | September 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

virep8,
The same thing could be said for both campaigns. And regarding your last sentence, if you are correct I hope you are right.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

RightDownTheMiddle,

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:11 PM

-------------------------------------------

Gee...you just now posted about me:

"Are you even old enough to vote? You are coming off like a spoiled child."

And yet you then claim that "democrats cannot carry a legitimate conversation without resorting to childing statements and put-downs."

Do you need me to define "hypocrite" or are you already well aware of what you are?

I already provided a nice fact that should get you to quit with the Obama always votes "present" BS you're spouting.

Here it is again:

John McCain: Missed 374 votes (61.8% of total)
Barack Obama: Missed 263 votes (43.5% of total)

You see....it's your guy who has missed more votes than any other single member of Congress.

Which really makes you look kinda silly bringing up Obama's voting record over and over and over and over again.

But then again....endlessly repeating disproven BS seems to be you and your team's forte...

Is this all too much for you?

Perhaps, it's time for you to "suspend" your posting campaign...

Posted by: RightDownTheMiddle | September 26, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

come on capehart....you used to be fairly rational out of all the in the tank bunch....why go after a palin stumble but not on the MANY stumbles of BO and biden? fact is, there is a double standard with palin....BO has been on the campaign trail for almost two years now....the bulk of his experience on the national stage....palin a few weeks. yet, she is slaughtered mercilessly by the msm and the looney left....you guys just lose all sense of proportion when it comes to reporting.

Posted by: ogdeeds | September 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek, Here is an person who writes of things they have no clue of. A partisian of the GOP who can do no wrong.
Just a reminder tmacioszek the GOP has held the White House for 20 of the last 28 years and they have controlled the congress from 1982 until 2006 so whatever cave you have been living in its the GOP that has screwed up our economy, our world standing and reputation and sold the country out to big oil and big finance. Its people like you we count on to show just how ignorant you and the rest of the supply side economist have been and are to this day. So cry you will when Obama is President in a landslide I might add. Moron

Posted by: tommic856 | September 26, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek said, "I love how the democrats of this country compare Palin to Obama... as if they were running against each other." See my earlier post. We compare Obama and Palin because we aren't confident that McCain will complete a 4 year term while remaining lucid. Again, I prefer the Harvard scholar to the 5-year journalist, and don't care about any measure of experience. Having served as an instrument of executive privelege as a Blackhawk pilot in Iraq, I believe a new course should be considered for our nation.

Posted by: dhigginb2002 | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Democrats,
What I've seen so far confirms the party stance, no doubt. Whiners, crybabies and name-callers. Likely each of you has some type of criminal activity in your past as well... like the man you want to be king.

Obama is a criminal. He mis-spends public funds so that his mob buddies can profit. They love to pull his puppet strings. And you people are so starved for change that you don't care, as long as there's a (D) next to the person's name, he's your man.

You really should have stuck with Hillary.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek--

I see you've illicited responses from several on this thread.

However, for some accomplishments:

-Lugar-Obama legislation that has helped decrease the threat of old nuclear, biological and chemical weaponry in the former SU.

-Co-Author of the Federal Funding Accountablility and Transparency Act of 2006 which led to USAspending.gov which keeps Americans better informed on govt spending.

-Introduced the Dignity for Wounded Warriors Act--which was passed as the Dignigied Treatment of Wounded Warriors Act that addresses the treatment received by Veterans under the Bush Administration. (The bill began it's legislative life with Obama's initial introduction.)

These are just a few examples for you. Thanks for asking, and now that you are informed please stop with the theatrics. You're as bad as McCain.

Posted by: DinahS | September 26, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

DinahS,
I didn't realize that you (and the rest of your democrat cronies) had control of this news organization and that you were the only ones allowed to speak your minds. Sorry, but last I checked, this is America... anyone heard of "freedom of speech"?

You make your points, I make mine, and we all live happily ever after. That's how it works. Deal with it.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Democrats,

You really should have stuck with Hillary.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM

-------------------------------------------

Ahh yes.....

Ignore me now that I've thoroughly and utterly decimated your tiny little mental midget arguments....

You're a coward like the rest of your team....

At least Palin has you around to make her look at least half-way intelligent....

Posted by: RightDownTheMiddle | September 26, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

elicited* (excuse the typo)

Posted by: DinahS | September 26, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek--

What are you talking about? Now I'm confused...

That's okay, don't answer that. I'll likely be more confused than I am now. Which happens to be an incredible talent of your VP candidate Palin.

Posted by: DinahS | September 26, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

RightDownTheMiddle,
Response not necessary... I pointed out everything that McCain has done, and I replied that what you supplied is still not adequate qualifications for being the president. In a quote from the great Obama himself he states (these are his words, on video, you can google it)...

"I am a believer in knowing what you're doing when you apply for a job. And I think that if I were to seriously consider running on the national ticket I would essentially have to start now, before having served a day in the senate. Now there are some people that might be comfortable doing that, but I'm not one of them."

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

DinahS,
I'm not surprised your confused.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Someone answer me this... when did we get 57 states? Your man Obama seems to think we've grown a bit.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek--

hahahaha! You're hilarious. I really must thank you for the afternoon comedy hour. And I apologize I won't be able to rebut everyone of your points--but I must get back to work. (Maybe you should too?!)

But I don't need to say anything--just click play on that first clip and that says it all for me! lol Whew! SNL can't make this stuff up. I mean really--you have foreign policy experience because your state is in geographic proximity to Russia. Really? Seriously, politics aside--can you truly and fully defend that? I hope you don't try to rationalize that. If so, you can never ever rightly try to refute that Obama has extensive experience EVER again.

And to clarify--your off the wall, completely erratic comments have me confused. But one thing I'm not confused on is who I'll be voting for.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

Posted by: DinahS | September 26, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

DinahS,
May the best candidate win. Enjoy your weekend.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

When she said "we have trade missions" with Russia, what she really meant was that she has bought Vodka from a liquor store.

Posted by: distance88 | September 26, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

From tmacioszek: "Free healthcare will cause the number of quality doctors to seek other professions. No doctor wants to work for $50,000 a year."

Thank you for this. Most of the people I know want to know what is going on in the minds of McCain/Palin supporters and now we know. McCain/Palin supporters just make stuff up to justify their prejudices. Well, you're certainly supporting the right party ("We know they have WMDs and we even know where they are located")!

Posted by: Trakker | September 26, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

At times during the interview, Palin seems to be genuinely surprised that god, guns and attitude aren't enough for some people. In her search for a substantive answer, she goes so far as to imply that she's been defending the border personally against Putin and the Russians all these years...makes me wonder if she believes her own hype.

Same with the BS about Palin being an energy expert. What she knows how to do is milk cash from oil companies with one hand while doing them as many favors as possible with the other-favors like lobbying for pipelines and access to ANWR. What does Palin know about solar, or wind, or biofuels? What does she know about carbon? What does she know about commodity markets and the hedge funds that drove the price to $150 a barrel? What does she know about the geopolitics of oil, or the global dynamics of supply and demand? What does she know about Peak Oil?

Hearing Palin call herself an energy expert makes me want to send her moose hunting with Cheney.

The "reformer" label is another obvious political makeover, because Palin doesn't have a reformer's instincts. If the first thing she did as mayor of Wasilla was hire a city manager, the second thing she did was hire a lobbyist to feed at the trough in Washington-and make contacts with party players to speed her trip to Juneau. I don't think it's a stretch to say she only adopted a reformist brand to defeat the entrenched Republicans that stood between her and the governorship.

Palin was for the bridge to nowhere along with everyone else in Alaska, until it became a national laughingstock. A true reformer would have been against the bridge from the start, and would have given back the money after the project was killed.

Her actual reforms are mostly cosmetic. Selling the private plane, firing the chef (but charging the state to stay in her own home). True, Alaska's requests for earmarks have dropped somewhat, but that's because they don't need as much federal money. The state's awash in oil revenue.

Speaking of which...can conservatives explain something to me? Palin's single biggest achievement as governor of Alaska was passing higher taxes on oil companies. She and the state congress raised the industry's taxes to increase state revenue and give the voting public a bigger royalty check. For that, she gets a great approval rating and credit for being a hard-nosed negotiator and a "conservative reformer" who "looks out for the little guy." Why is a democrat who wants to increase federal taxes on oil companies an evil, big-government liberal who wants to harm the economy?

Posted by: dulaski71 | September 26, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Obama would have merely avoided the question, being the consumate dishonest politician that he is. With Obama, you get the package without ever knowing what is inside. Biden would have said something ridiculous like, "Ask Hillary," or "Stand up and be seen...you're healed."

The mean-spirited media focus on Palin, contrary to what you are saying, is actually making her look heroic. It's totally condescending and the columnists who are perpetuating it forget that, unlike them, she is someone who was elected to public office.

Posted by: ttj1 | September 26, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice try Rightdownthemiddle.

Recall that Obama voted "present" 130 times in the Illinois state legislature to avoid making a "yes" or "no" vote. Either he was too dumb to make up his mind or he was hiding his real position so that he could look better politically.

Further, your figures are misleading. According to congressional figures (not Wapo figures), in the last 15 years McCain has missed 18% of votes. In the last 3 years, Obama has missed 24% of votes.

See this data:

John McCain missed 738 of 4104 roll call votes (18%) since Feb 4, 1993.

Barack Obama missed 306 (24%) of 1287 votes since Jan 6, 2005.

Posted by: ttj1 | September 26, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Really, tmacioszek, what would it take, exactly, for you to admit that this woman is unqualified?

Is it really so hard for you and your party to acknowledge that this woman has no business being in the White House? You saw that question as slanted?

I'm sorry, but Palin brought this onto herself - she pointed out the proximity of Russia as an example of her "foreign policy experience."

All Couric did was ask, "how so"?

The problem with you and the GOP is that you love to talk yourselves up, make bold statements, but you don't want to back anything up with proof (particularly if the proof is exactly _not_ what you said).

"Thanks, but no thanks" Palin is full of moose sh!&; she should go back to the backwoods of Alaska and let the smart kids run for President.

Posted by: nagatuki | September 26, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

With Obama, the MSM says the glass is half-full; with Palin, half-empty. This proves the MSM is unbiased?

Posted by: DoTheRightThing | September 26, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

How do you convince voters that an underqualified candidate for any office is okay when they regularly demonstrate their lack of experience and knowledge? That is the question that bothers me the most about our politics. It is not a popularity or beauty contest. I have had more than enough of watching elections be determined by lies, innuendo and the false impression that one candidate is "more like me" or would be "more fun to have a beer with" or "he speaks French" or "he eats Arugula". Please, let us have intelligent and truthful leaders for a change. That may be better than some voters want but it is what my children deserve. For those of you who cast your votes based upon nonsense, you deserve the consequences but I do not. Better that you stay home and not participate at all in the electoral process.

Posted by: michaelwilson1957 | September 26, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Michael,
Excellent points. Based on your notes though, none of the candidates should proceed. Therefore we are left with choosing the lesser of all evils.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

tmacioszek:
What we have here, famously, is a failure to communicate. There's always lots of henpecking to henpeck if we really want to, but yours seems to underline the vivid lack of nuance that the Republican talking-point talkers always seem to exhibit. Take just one of your damning issues--the 57 states. Most folks think there are 50. But Obama was referring to the totality of American jurisdictions, including Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, which actually do total up to 57. These are referred to "statistical equivalents to states" by the US Bureau of the Census. On my less cynical days, I have to consider you ignorant; on my more cynical ones, I wonder if the GOP even wants these places--what with all their latino, black, and brown American residents--even included. Nuance, lad, nuance.

Posted by: vancouver_island | September 26, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

WOW!
Jack Cafferty on CNN just went off after seeing Palin interview. He's fed up. To tell you the truth all of us should be fed up so much so that we can't take it anymore! Nobody should settle for Palin. Period. I'd rather give McCain Condi Rice or even Hillary rather than see the republicans and the country go through this. The world is laughing at us.

Posted by: MILLER123 | September 26, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

it aint a test

it aint a quiz show

if it was, we might finally elect one of your snobby girlie men profs from Hahvahd

until then, we'll continue to elect on leadership and achievement

still waiting to hear what Neo's big accomplishments are other than writing two books about himself (I am the One!!!)and his travels around the 57 states

Sarah is your next VP and then will be POTUS in '12

I might even feel a little sorry for Pantsuit Patty- Nah

Posted by: RonMexico1 | September 26, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was a joke when they first announced Sarah Palin for the VP canidate, surely this was a skit! SNL writers couldn't have come up with this stuff on their best nights!

What I would really like would be for a Palin supporter to tell me why they are behind her. tmacioszek, feel free to step in here, you seem to be very opinionated on this issue. I just do not understand why people are under the idea that this woman is qualified to be the vice president of the US. I just want some honest, sensible answers here- no name calling, no attacking the Democratic Party's canidates as a defense.

I honestly do not know anyone personally who was pleased with this pick by McCain. Many of the people I know are die-hard Republicans, and they are now frantically deciding what to do in Novemeber. Most of them have told me, assuming things are the way they are today and that they are not horribly put off from the coming debates, they will probably change their vote to back Obama. These are extremely conservative people who are switching their votes. I should probably mention that the people I'm talking about- my work collegues- well, they usually vote on the side of so-called 'big oil'. Yeah, I work at an oil & gas firm. It is an extremely profitable and relatively small company and as you might expect, the people here are generally pro-Republican. But I'm hearing everyone, from the workers out on the rigs, to the managers in the high-rise I work in, so upset about this choice. I heard our president/ceo, who happens to be a high-ranking republican supporter, putting down McCain's decison. He adores McCain- he was at the Senator's table when he came to town last month, they had a Republican dinner at a steakhouse here.
After all of this rambling, my point is this: if all of these people I know, otherwise Republican supporters, are not only questioning this pick, but also changing their votes, what is it that makes people think she would be a good vice president? I would very much like someone to clear this up for me, because I just cannot find a reason to get behind this woman.

Posted by: Suri387 | September 26, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 10:59 AM
-----------------------------------------------------
Rather than think of elected experience, 2 terms in the IL Senate, and nearly 4 years in the Senate, I would like to point to preparation (which Mrs.Palin is woefully lacking, BTW), Obama is a Harvard educated Constitutional Lawyer who has devoted himself to helping his fellow citizens through the political process since he left school.

For 2 years Obama has steeped himself in foreign policy; he has been to Iraq and Afghanistan twice, has met with Colin Powell and Gen Pattraeus, as well as meeting privately with several European Leaders, and Maliki. Obama also has been in extensive talks with some of the best minds on the US economy as well as meeting with Paulson one on one, and during this crisis Obama has been in touch with Paulson and others, on a daily basis, can you really compare Sarah Palin's cramming for her "exam" with this sort of hands on, long term thoughfulness about the issues?

I am simply urging my fellower Americans to think with their head and not with their heart in this most important election. McCain/Palin are representative of another Bush administration in the fundamentals....when Charlie Gibson asked Palin how her ideology differed from Bush's she couldn't come up with one substantial difference...although McCain is sounding more like Obama on many issues every day, but why elect a faux Obama when we can have the real one?

Posted by: Hold_that_tiger | September 26, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I thought that I would really enjoy watching Governor Palin be exposed as "not ready for prime time." But now that it is happening, it's kind of hard to sit through.

Why does the McCain team make her stick to the ridiculous statement about "seeing Russia?" Half way through her explanation to Katie Couric you could see Gov. Palin think to herself "I can't believe they're making me do this." If they just let the Governor be herself and give the Laura Bush line of "of course I'm not experienced in foreign affairs but I'm going to learn all about them" then she wouldn't have to mouth their ludicrous justifications with an empty arrogance.

I know humility doesn't play well with the Republican base, but there are plenty of moderates out there who appreciate it.

Posted by: tsawyer_mv | September 26, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Why e'rbody be pickin on my Barry??? He be da best man fo da job.

So what if he be stealin money fo da mob... least he be doin so we cans have dis nice big house and not have to live in da ghetto.

Posted by: MichelleObama | September 26, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Palin is being exposed as an almighty dud.

Bit by bit, McCain will have to let some of the Press cross-examine her and bit by bit we will be amused and horrified by her clangers.

Of course, there are some people who will think that every clanger is just what they are looking for.

Put her on the Comedy Hour so that, in these troubled times, we can all have a good laugh.

Posted by: robertjames1 | September 26, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the scariest candidate I've ever seen -- but hey, at least she's got the witch doctor on her team ... watch this for a laugh:

Posted by: Omyobama | September 26, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I would never compare the narcissistic liar Sarah Palin to Caitlin Upton. Caitlin was 17 at the time and just made a mistake because she was nervous. I would not go after Caitlin or compare her to Sarah Palin even if Caitlin were a conservative Republican. Calitlin is otherwise a bright woman and should have a great future ahead. I would rather go after Bristol Palin than Caitlin Upton. Sarah Palin is a stage-confident narcissistic perpetual liar who is suffering defeat because of her repeated ugly lies. Caitlin Upton at least is not a proven on-stage liar.

Posted by: politicalmajority | September 26, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Holmes76, I don't doubt that you are a terrorist.

Posted by: tmacioszek | September 26, 2008 1:42 PM

Aw, ain't you sweet. Don't forget to call me"n-" and "f-". It'll REALLY hurt my feelings, especially coming from such an intelligent manly man like yourself. Gawd I wish I was a true American like you. So I think I WILL vote for Sarah Palin, becuz she's not a n- or a f-, she's a true American! And neither ain't McCain, and he has good taste becuz she's hawt and lives next to them Ruskies! Them's my kinda Presidents! And anyone who doesn't agree must be a n- or f-.

So that about sums you up. You say a lot of things on here you wouldn't say to my face. You know what that makes you? Yup. Have fun living with that.

Posted by: Holmes76 | September 26, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

How many potential Vice-Presidents of the United States have videos of themselves parading around in a swimsuit at a beauty pageant floating around the internet?

Posted by: pali2500 | September 26, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I blame John McCain and the Republican party completely for what is happening to Sarah Palin. She didn't realize she was out of her league, but they did, and they callously exposed her and her family to certain humiliation.

I wonder how many people witnessed this woman sputtering and struggling for words and saw a sister, a wife, a daughter, being made a fool of in public. Or oneself.
She doesn't deserve to be vice president, but she doesn't deserve this, either.

But Palin's loss is Couric's gain. As one who has, like many, dissed Katie in the past, I gained a new respect for her.
Katie, you go!

Posted by: martymar123 | September 27, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Palin's answer to the question about Russia was not the one that scared me the most. That one was when Katie asked her about the bailout. Palin started talking about health care, then looked down at her lap, and started talking about job creation. It was like she was reading cue cards, but they were the answer to the WRONG question. Anybody who has watched the news the last few days could answer that question - without notes - better than Palin did.

Posted by: ann | September 27, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

You're finally catching up to the Huffington Post. They made this comparison 2 weeks ago.

Posted by: Charlene-K | September 27, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

In spite of the frantic prettifying, both Palin and McCain are quintessential "ugly Americans": Catastrophically ignorant but arrogant with it, as if the world owes them.

Afghanistan and Iraq are already run by US client governments, but the US is STILL not content and wants STILL more for itself so it can indulge in more self-congratulation and exploitation of the locals - when it doesn't prefer to kill them outright, never mind whether they are civilians. Pakistan, Sudan and Iran are not sufficiently subservient? Destabilise them and try to take over their governments as well, by open force or on the sly...But the US is now already insolvent, having needlessly bitten off a great deal more than it can chew. Its people are already paying the bill, and will do so even more now that it is obvious that both its government and its financial institutions want to force the taxpayers, at gunpoint, to foot the bill for all that reckless gambling, and for the illusion that it's the United States' business to run the world, and the role of other countries to be grateful, put up and shut up. It is already obvious that that is a ridiculous conceit. Palin and McCain are only fighting a few rearguard actions now, but that can't take them very far: The "American Century" is already over. That's Bush's legacy, even though he and his mates are - predictably - blissfully unaware of it.

As with Bush, Palin's mangling of the English language indicates an incapacity for organised thought and for logic, a childlike belief that as long as she has "the right feelings", that alone makes her entitled to act on them any way she chooses.

The systematic mean-spiritedness of making rape victims pay for their own rape kits (with the intention of discouraging them and making them carry any pregnancies from the rapes to term), the unwillingness to obey subpoenas, the downright craziness of the "witch doctor" theatrics - that disqualifies her already. "My way or the highway" doesn't even work.

And exactly who is paying for the care of Trig, that baby with a lifelong severe disability who has been used as a stage prop, but probably neglected emotionally otherwise?

On another theme, "Macioszek" is a Slavonic name, probably Czech or Polish; the -ek ending is a diminutive, as in Polish "Lolek = Little Louis".

As Dr Kissinger could have told Palin, the ability to speak English is not in itself evidence of being civilised, especially when it's your mother tongue and yet you speak it in such a shockingly disorganised way.

I am multi-lingual, as is my partner (who only went to school until he was 14, but he's very bright and very interested in other people's cultures as well as his own). Monolingualism is a severe disability, but at least it can be cured if people apply themselves to it and put in the work. Palin could try to learn Russian or Farsi (the main language of Iran). But I'm not holding my breath, I think she's just too far behind to ever catch up when it comes to organised and rational thought, or to engaging with other people(s) on a basis of equality and respect for their way of thinking.

Posted by: jochebed | September 27, 2008 2:26 AM | Report abuse

I was very disappointed to hear you agree with Joe Scarborough this morning that Senator Obama looked "darker" during the debate last night. I expect that type of comment from Joe, but I was very surprised to hear you agree. Even Mika seemed uncomfortable but Joe shut her down as usual. I don't know what that had to do with the debates or why it was even relevant to the discussion this morning. Shame on Joe but even more for you Jonathan. He used you and you let him.

Posted by: goskins21 | September 27, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

All of the candidates have had good/bad moments and they have all been subjected to media scrutiny. I can't figure why McCain supporters expect Palin to be treated differently and not to be called on her outlandishly uninformed responses to questions she needs to know?

The media has failed us all by not putting the screws to this late comer for the good of us all. They are allowing the Republicans to reap the energy of this pick but not demandind that she prove her competence to Americans.

Wow. The 2008 republican strategy is built upon the reactionary stupidity of the American people. They are not trying to win on issues.

Posted by: Ginny7 | September 27, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if you say Obama is inexperienced, at least he can put together a cohesive sentence under pressure.

Posted by: rascal2q | September 28, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse