The Young Evangelical Difference

For some time now, there has been a great deal of discussion over whether younger white evangelicals differed from older white evangelicals in their political attitudes and priorities. Now comes a fascinating and important pre-election survey suggesting that younger evangelicals are indeed somewhat more inclined to vote for Obama and to hold more moderate views on gay marriage -- though they are still, on the whole, pro-McCain.

The survey, conducted for PBS’s Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner, found that overall, McCain led Obama by 71 percent to 23 percent among white evangelicals. McCain’s lead was even larger, 73 percent to 22 percent, among white evangelicals over 30 years old. But among those under 30, McCain led by only 62 percent to 30 percent.

On the whole, these are good numbers for McCain (though it’s worth noting that the sampling period, Sept. 4-21, includes the weeks of McCain’s strong post-convention bounce).

Yet these numbers also suggest real change among younger white evangelicals in a more moderate or progressive direction. And they indicate that Obama’s relative strength among younger voters extends even into one of the G.O.P’s bastion constituencies. Put another way, if McCain had the same margin among all evangelicals that he has among the young, he would be in significant political trouble.

The survey of 1,400 adults included an oversample of 400 evangelical Christians ages 18-29.

Three other findings are notable:

Younger evangelicals are significantly more hostile to President Bush than older evangelicals. On a “feeling thermometer” scale, 57 percent of evangelicals over 30 give Bush warm ratings, compared with only 39 percent of younger evangelicals.

The survey also found that 58 percent of young white evangelicals support some form of legal recognition for same-sex couples, including 26 who support allowing same-sex couples to marry. By contrast, only 46 percent of older white evangelicals favored some legal recognition of same sex couples – and only 9 percent of them favored granting same sex couples full marriage rights.

But on the abortion issue, the views of younger and older evangelicals were nearly identical. Among younger white evangelicals, only 26 percent favored abortion being legal in “all” or “most cases.” For the older evangelicals, the figure was almost identical at 25 percent.

By E.J. Dionne  | September 30, 2008; 8:42 PM ET
Categories:  Dionne  | Tags:  E.J. Dionne
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid
Next: Choices

Comments

This is good news for Dems and humanity. The conservative stand against gay rights has never made sense, even less so in light of the growing body of scientific evidence suggesting sexual preference is innate. The so-called marriage protection amendment are grossly unAmerican.

Posted by: jhbyer | September 30, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

jeebus, whatever happened to being young and free and open-minded? i can't imagine being some kind of religious wingnut at the age of 18, brainwashed into thinking jesus wants you to vote for the senile old twerp and his brain-damaged moose hunter. no wonder this nations is f@%ked.

Posted by: memorybabe1 | September 30, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see younger evangelicals consider behavior in addition to words. McCain/Palin's right wing base is obviously overlooking a campaign saturated with lies, fact-challenged media ads and cynical attacks. I agree with Palin's religious beliefs--and even believe in laying on of hands and casting out devils--but her behavior on the heels of a secretive and opportunistic Bush Admin (I also voted for Bush twice) is too much for me. OBAMA/BIDEN '08

Posted by: charice33 | October 1, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

EVANGALICALS ARE NOT CHRISTIAN
Their approach to Israel and Jews show that current US and some European Evangalicals are just zionists, and judaist rather than christians.
Seeing jews selected has also racist outcomes.
A christian would think his/her religion is also for Jews and convert them to christians, and will not donate Jarusalem to Jews but try to hold under christian rule. However Evangalicals are just opposite act like subordinate to Jews in their politics.

Posted by: tayfun19642001 | October 1, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I am an older (65) somewhat unusual evangelical. I was born jewish and grew up in a liberal, democratic family. My instincts and heart tend to beat sympatheticaly with the Democrats on economic issues. I was for the war before i was against it. But up until this year I always voted Republican because I oppose abortion. It was my single issue. If you believe life begins at conception then abortion is the taking of a life, a murder. I could never understand how a woman's choice, her convenience, her pain and suffering weighed more heavily than taking the life of what I believe is much more than a piece of protoplasm.

This year I may vote for Obama, because I may weigh the abortion issue as less important than ending the divisive politcs (McCain's campaign has really angered me),the nation's security (I believe McCain is too rash and impetuous), and beginning to right the economic momentum to greater and greater inequality. There is much about Obama that I don't agree with, but the weights I am putting on different issues has changed.

Posted by: jmwolgin | October 1, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

memorybabe, actually it seems more plausible that younger people are more subsceptible to being brainwashed about religion, as they have not lived long enough or experienced enough life to form thoughtful, rationale philosophies.... its the old folx who've lived long enough to know better that scare me

Posted by: cornbread_jones | October 1, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I believe that each person finds his/her own way to God. I resent any religion that tries to use legislation to impose the beliefs and code of conduct of its adherents on others.

Posted by: robfield | October 1, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The minds of younger evangelicals haven't atrophied as much yet as their older brethren.

Posted by: eeitreim | October 1, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm one of the few -- but not only -- evangelicals supporting Obama in this election, as evidenced by the "Evangelicals for Obama" group on the Obama website as well as similar groups on Facebook.

I'm a 38-year-old white married mother of two, and I've been an evangelical Christian for more than 20 years. I used to vote Republican as a single-issue (abortion) voter.

I've designed and sold "Evangelicals for Obama" car magnets, yard signs, and shirts as a way of letting others know that not all evangelicals buy into the groupthink that all evangelicals are Republicans. All profits go to the campaign. evs4obama [at] gmail [dot] com

Posted by: jenniferseidel | October 1, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain and Sarah Palin in 2008

Posted by: hclark1 | October 1, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Well maybe thier finally waking up a bit huh?
Do they still run for the old testiment when they need something to hate?Funny Jesus said my kingdom is not of this world yet proclaiming to be Christians they wade right into governmental affairs.Must be comforting to know you can be a christian one minute and a jew the next.

Posted by: gary2547poh | October 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Is the Great Commission fulfilled by believers spreading the Gospel, or by the government doing it for them?

Should believers pray in school themselves, or should the government make up a government prayer for teachers to recite?

Should believers themselves profess that God made the world, or should the government fund a scientifically-bogus explanation of how that took place?

Does the Bible say anything about the capital gains tax?

Does responsibility for God's Creation mean we should pollute it?

Did Jesus say to throw stones at sinners?

You tell me.

Posted by: GregCleveland | October 1, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Why is it never remarked on that surveys of "evangelical" voters always turn out to be surveys only of white evangelicals? That seems to be an important demographic distinction that overlays any religious beliefs this group might have. Do evangelicals as a whole fall into these same voting patterns? And what about non-evangelical Christians? I suspect there is not just a young vs. old divide that should be explored in a responsible discussion of this issue. The political media is fond of creating specialized voter groups that assist in making a larger rhetorical points (e.g. "hockey moms" or "NASCAR dads") but the demographic lines that are drawn are not always valid or especially informative.

Posted by: jlinderman | October 1, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

At least the young ones are more progressive than the older ones, and not the other way around.

Posted by: miknugget | October 1, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The young ones have a lot to do in order to make up for the damage that the old ones have done to America. They better get to work.

Posted by: thebobbob | October 1, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, as a Christian, I find it hard to believe that there could be any more important issue than abortion for any other Christian: if they believe a child in his mother's womb is a living human being. One would think the murder of the innocent (which is what abortion is for anyone who believes the aforementioned) would trump all else...even that which benefits them personally.

On the other hand, there is always Iraq: a war started under false pretenses that has cost tens of thousands of lives (4,000+ from our own nation). Too, there is the absolute unconcern for the poor and needy in this nation. In the end, in my opinion, a Christian is stuck between a rock and a hard place, but protecting babies has to come first. At the same time, if there were any morals left in this nation then abortion wouldn't be a problem in that promiscuity wouldn't be a great big issue. In the end, neither party is righteous...thus the rock and that hard place.

Posted by: bluntnhonest | October 1, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I am pleasantly surprised that Mr Dionne actually wrote a recent article that did not focus on tearing up McCain/Palin. However, McCain leading the under 30 crowd 62% by 30% does not deserve an "only". That is a huge lead no matter how you and other Obama supporters try to spin it.
On the other side of the aisle, this agnostic, Indy, pro-choice, but not pro partial birth abortion or infanticide will be supporting McCain/Palin because Obama leads down a rather lefty lane.

Posted by: 1custom | October 2, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Obama's Not Exactlys:

1.) Selma March Got Me Born - NOT EXACTLY, your parents felt safe enough to have you in 1961 - Selma had no effect on your birth, as Selma was in 1965. (Google 'Obama Selma ' for his full March 4, 2007 speech and articles about its various untruths.)

2.) Father Was A Goat Herder - NOT EXACTLY, he was a privileged, well educated youth, who went on to work with the Kenyan Government.

3.) Father Was A Proud Freedom Fighter - NOT EXACTLY, he was part of one of the most corrupt and violent governments Kenya has ever had.

4.) My Family Has Strong Ties To African Freedom - NOT EXACTLY, your cousin Raila Odinga has created mass violence in attempting to overturn a legitimate election in 2007, in Kenya . It is the first widespread violence in decades. The current government is pro-American but Odinga wants to overthrow it and establi sh Muslim Sharia law. Your half-brother, Abongo Oba ma, is Odinga's follower. You interrupted your New Hampshire campaigning to speak to Odinga on the phone. Check out the following link for verification of that....and for more.

Obama's cousin Odinga in Kenya ran for president and tried to get Sharia muslim law in place there. When Odinga lost the elections, his followers have burned Christians' homes and then burned men, women and children alive in a Christian church where they took shelter.. Obama SUPPORTED his cousin before the election process here started. Google Obama and Odinga and see what you get. No one wants to know the truth.

5.) My Grandmother Has Always Been A Christian - NOT EXACTLY, she does her daily Salat prayers at 5am according to her own interviews. Not to mention, Christianity wouldn't allow her to have been one of 14 wives to 1 man.

6.) My Name is African Swahili - NOT EXACTLY, your name is Arabic and 'Baraka' (from which Barack came) means 'blessed' in that language. Hussein is also Arabic and so is Obama.

Barack Hussein Obama is not half black. If elected, he would be the first Arab-American President, not the first black President. Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side. While Barack Hussein Obama's father was from Kenya , his father's family was mainly Arabs... Barack Hussein Obama's father was only 12.5% African Negro and 87.5% Arab (his father's birth cert ificate even states he's Arab, not African Negro). From....and for more....go to.....

7.) I Never Practiced Islam - NOT EXACTLY, you practiced it daily at school, where you were registered as a Muslim and kept that faith for 31 years, until your wife made you change, so you could run for office.

4-3-08 Article 'Obama was 'quite religious in islam'' http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=60559

8.) My School In Indonesia Was Christian - NOT EXACTLY, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces (check your own book).

February 28, 2008. Kristoff from the New York Times : Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as 'one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.' This is just one example of 'Obama's narrative is being altered, enhanced and manipulated to whitewash t roubling facts.'

9.) I Was Fluent In Indonesian - NOT EXACTLY, not one teacher says you could speak the language.

10.) Because I Lived In Indonesia , I Have More Foreign Experience - NOT EXACTLY, you were there from the ages of 6 to 10, and couldn't even speak the language. What did you learn except how to study the Koran and watch cartoons.

11.) I Am Stronger On Foreign Affairs - NOT EXACTLY, except for Africa (surprise) and the Middle East (bigger surprise), you have never been anywhere else on the planet and thus have NO experience with our closest allies.

12.) I Blame My Early Drug Use On Ethnic Confusion - NOT EXACTLY, you were quite content in high school to be Barry Obama, no mention of Kenya and no mention of struggle to identify - your classmates said you were just fine

13.)An Ebony Article Moved Me To Run For Office - NOT EXACTLY, Ebony has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.

14.) A Life Magazine Article Changed My Outlook On Life - NOT EXACTLY, Life has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.

15.) I Won't Run On A National Ticket In '08 - NOT EXACTLY, here you are, despite saying, live on TV, that you would not have enough experience by then, and you are all about having experience first.

16.) Voting 'Present' is Common In Illinois Senate - NOT EXACTLY, they are common for YOU, but not many others have 130 NO VOTES.

17.) Oops, I Misvoted - NOT EXACTLY, only when caught by church groups and Democrats, did you beg to change your misvote.

18.) I Was A Professor Of Law - NOT EXACTLY, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

19.) I Was A Constitutional Lawyer - NOT EXACTLY, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

20.) Without Me, There Would Be No Ethics Bill - NOT EXACTLY, you didn't write it, introduce it, change it or create it.

21.) The Ethics Bill Was Hard To Pass - NOT EXACTLY, it took just 14 days from start to finish.

22.) I Wrote A Tough Nuclear Bill - NOT EXACTLY, your bill was rejected by your own party for its pandering and lack of all regulation - mainly because of your Nuclear donor, Exelon, from which David Axelrod came.

23.) I Have Released My State Records - NOT EXACTLY, as of March, 2008, state bills you sponsored or voted for have yet to be released, exposing all the special interests pork hidden within.

24.) I Took On The Asbestos Altgeld Gardens Mess - NOT EXACTLY, you were part of a large group of people who remedied Altgeld Gardens . You failed to mention anyone else but yourself, in your books.

25.) My Economics Bill Will Help America - NOT EXACTLY, your 111 economic policies were just combined into a proposal which lost 99-0, and even YOU voted against your own bill.

26.) I Have Been A Bold Leader In Illinois - NOT EXACTLY, even your own supporters claim to have not seen BOLD action on your part.

27.) I Passed 26 Of My Own Bills In One Year - NOT EXACTLY, they were not YOUR bills, but rather handed to you, after their creation by a fellow Senator, to assist you in a future bid for higher office.

28.) No One on my campaign contacted Canada about NAFTA - NOT EXACTLY, the Canadian Government issued the names and a memo of the conversation your campaign had with them.

29.) I Am Tough On Terrorism - NOT EXACTLY, you missed the Iran Resolution vote on terrorism and your good friend Ali Abunimah supports the destruction off Israel .

30.) I Want All Votes To Count - NOT EXACTLY, you said let the delegates decide.

31.) I Want Americans To Decide - NOT EXACTLY, you prefer caucuses that limit the vote, confuse the voters, force a public vote, and only operate during small windows of time.

32.) I passed 900 Bills in the State

Posted by: DrRevere | October 2, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Author Bio
Letter to the Editor
Print This Article
Email This Article
About RSS Feeds

Washington Prowler
Obama’s Fishy $200 Million
By The Prowler
Published 10/2/2008 12:08:46 AM
FUNNY MONEY
An auditor for the Federal Election Commission is attempting to have his bosses seek a formal investigation into the collection by the Obama for President campaign of more than $200 million in potentially illegal political donations, including millions of dollars of illegal, foreign donations, and has sought a request for assistance from the Department of Justice or Federal Bureau of Investigation. But the analyst's requests have largely been ignored. "I can't get anyone to move. I believe we are looking at a hijacking of our political system that makes the Clinton and Gore fundraising scandals pale in comparison. And no one here wants to touch it."

One reasons cited by his superiors, says the analyst, is that involvement by the Justice Department or FBI would be indicative of a criminal investigation, something the FEC would prefer not take place a month before the presidential election. Such actions, though, have been used to scuttle Republican campaigns in the past, the most famous being the Weinberger case in the days leading up to the 1992 re-election bid of President George H.W. Bush.

The analyst, who declines to be identified for fear of retribution, says that on four different occasions in the past three months, he sought to open formal investigations into the Obama campaign's fundraising techniques, but those investigations have been discouraged. "Without formal approval, I can't get the resources I need, manpower, that kind of thing. This is a huge undertaking." And the analyst says that he believes that campaign finance violations have occurred.

The Obama campaign has already had to deal with several FEC complaints about fraudulent donors and illegal foreign contributions, and the FEC says it has no record that those complaints have been resolved or closed. As well, the Obama campaign has been cagey at times about the means by which it has made its historic fundraising hauls, which now total almost $500 million for the election cycle. The Hillary Clinton campaign raised questions about the huge amount of e-retail sales the Obama campaign was making for such things as t-shirts and other campaign paraphernalia, and how such sales were being tracked and used for fundraising purposes. While the profits of those items counted against the $2,300 personal donation limit, there have always been lingering questions about the e-retail system.

"The question has always been, if you buy a $25 t-shirt and you go back to that purchaser eight or nine times with email appeals for $200 or $500 donations, and you have people donating like that all the time, at what point does the campaign bother to check if the FEC limit has been exceeded?" says a former Clinton campaign fundraiser. "There are enough of us from the 1992 and 1996 and 2000 races around to know that many of these kinds of violations never get caught until after the election has been won or lost. In this case, there is no way the Obama campaign will be held accountable before Election Day, unless someone raises holy hell."

The FEC analyst says that Obama's filings indicate he has received large, bundled sums of donations from overseas, sometimes exceeding a quarter millions dollars. "It's suspicious, but it's the small donations made by credit card that need to be examined. We've raised red flags on many of these and the Obama campaign just ignores us. After this election, after we've sifted through everything -- if we're allowed to sift through everything -- I am confident that we are looking at perhaps the largest fine every leveled against a national campaign entity."

Just as frustrating as the lack of desire on the part of his bosses to act, says the analyst, is that major media outlets have ignored the story he has been attempting to tell. Thus far, Newsmax is one of the few publications to cover the Obama campaign finance scam story.

FAN, FRED, AND FRANK
House Democrats are concerned that it wasn't just Rep. Barney Frank who was having extracurricular relations with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac executives, and that those relationships will come to light before the election a month from now.

According to a former Democrat staffer working for the House Committee on Financial Services, there were a number of stories involving Democrat members of the committee, as well as staffers for those Democrats, participating in retreats and getaway weekends paid for by Fan and Fred executives and lobbyists.

"Republicans were in the majority, and they weren't getting invited on these trips," says the former aide, who now works for an investment house in New York. "It's not that Republicans weren't enjoying themselves, but not the way my guys were. If I were a Democratic member in the mid to late 90s and dealt with financial services or housing issues, I'd be real nervous right now."

Frank has not hidden the fact that he was in a romantic relationship with a former executive for Fannie Mae. Frank now chairs the Financial Services Committee and was one of several longtime Democrat members who sought assurances from Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi that no action would be taken on Fan or Fred investigations until after the election in November.

Posted by: DrRevere | October 2, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

VP DEBATE:
HOW MAVERICKITY......THE VP DEBATE PROVED PALIN SHOULD HAVE A LAP DANCER SEGMENT ON THE OREILLY FACTOR/FOX NOISE SCRIPTED GOP MCCAIN INFOMERCIAL. SHE'S A CUTE PERSONALITY, THOROUGHLY UNQUALIFIED TO BE VP OF HER OWN MIND, LET ALONE, THE LARGEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. PALINIMBLE BRAIN IS THE GOP'S WORST JOKE & THE BEST EXAMPLE OF MCINSANE'S JUDGMENT. SCARY! LOVED HER COMMENTS ABOUT EXPANDING THE POWERS OF THE VICE PRESIDENCY AND ANNOUNCING HER COMMITMENT NOT TO ANSWER GWEN IFII'S OR ANY OF THE MEDIA'S QUESTIONS AS ASKED, ONLY RECITING MCSAME TALKING POINTS, LIKE A KID SHOUTING/SPELLING THE LETTERS OF A WORD IN A GRADE SCHOOL SPELLING B. HORRIFIC! HER TALKING POINTS WERE GIMMICKRY WITH A WHINNY MEANNESS. WILL SHE BE DESIGNING/DECORATING THE USA-ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN-JERUSALEM EMBASSY WITH A MOOSE LODGE MOTIF IN MIND? WERE HER FOLKSY-SIX-PACK BURPS, VOMITED FOR VICTORY, SORT OF LIKE THE MCMANIAC/MOOSEMOMMA DEFINITION OF VICTORY IN IRAQ, MY FRIENDS? HANDS DOWN, BIDEN IS THE CLEAR WINNER OF THE DEBATE.
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CHOOSE TO USE YOUR CHRISTIANITY TO SUPPORT THE GOP, PLEASE CONSIDER A FEW WEBSITES THAT JESUS BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION & THROUGH PRAYER, HELPED ME TO SEE THE LIGHT AND SUPPORT A GOOS MAN, BARACK OBAMA:
www(dot)republicansexoffenders(dot)com

www(dot)mccainslobbyists(dot)com

www(dot)phoenixnewtimes(dot)com/1989-11-29/news/mccain-the-most-reprehensible-of-the-keating-five/1

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=GEtZlR3zp4c

www(dot)mccainsource(dot)com

www(dot)therealmccain(dot)com/butler

www(dot)mudflats(dot)wordpress(dot)com/2008/09/14/alaska-women-reject-palin-rally-is-huge

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=7r-kOIs-W6E&feature=related