The VP Debate: On Benefits for Same-Sex Couples

In response to the question about allowing Alaska's policy of offering benefits to same-sex couples to go nationwide, Gov. Palin said, "I am tolerant." The good governor of Alaska doesn't understand that gays and lesbians don't want "tolerance." They want respect -- of their relationships and their families.

By Jonathan Capehart  | October 2, 2008; 9:47 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Moving Out of Motown
Next: The VP Debate: The Strangest I've Ever Seen

Comments

They also have alot of polls there, Seems Every one thinks Biden won. You can go participate in the Polls on the VP debate

You can go see Palin and Biden practice for the Debate. Watch VP debate Outtakes., Palin makes mistakes while practicing for the debate WatchDebate.com

Posted by: pastor123 | October 2, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I thought exactly the same thing as she said it.
How patronising and offensive.
What other minorities does she deign to "tolerate"?

Posted by: StevePaton | October 2, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

RE: SPaton finding Palin's "tolerance" of same-sex couples condescending, offensive

In addition to using the word "tolerant," I noticed how carefully Palin avoided using the term "gay marriage," saying that no matter how nuanced the language, we all knew what topic we were discussing. Gwen Ifill said, "Let's not have nuances. Senator Biden, do you support gay marriage?"

Is Palin so tolerant of gays that she'd rather not mention us by name?

Posted by: jtkerwin | October 2, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Condescending in the extreme - she would have been royally annoyed had Biden been as condescending to her.

Typical GOP crap. They're making their homophobia a touch less overt. Whoopee.

Posted by: Brittman1 | October 2, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

me watch debate tonite and palling won!!!! she talk so fast and smile so much and she have 6 pack and safety goggles for hunt and oh such hotness and hair on top of head me cant wait till she president when macaine croak she launch attack on russia make them stop looking at hottness and rear head and cathi kuric she will get back to ya me want ride her holy roller coaster to end of days and cross her bridge to nobody so too bad democracy party dummies palling wins!!!!!!!

Posted by: DaveMiner | October 2, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, we want more than tolerance. But coming from the Republicans, tolerance would be a big step forward.

Posted by: Alexis3 | October 2, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I support her stance. I think marriage is where it should be.

Posted by: ksulli21 | October 2, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me but did I miss the part where Biden said he supported gay marriage? His was as nuanced an answer as I have heard on the matter. He did say, on the other hand, that marriage was between a man and a woman. Gee he's awfully tolerant.

Posted by: Leopold1 | October 3, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Sarah - my governor, unfortunately - carefully avoided mentioning that Alaska has same-sex benefits because of a state supreme court decision. She does not, and has never, supported such benefits, and at one point talked about supporting an amendment to the Alaska constitution to overrule the supreme court decision. To her credit, she did not pursue that issue, and in fact vetoed a bill that would have attempted to overrule the decision when her attorney general told her it would be unconstitutional. But she sure isn't a fan of equal treatment for gays and lesbians, despite what she said last night.

Posted by: jgaguine | October 3, 2008 4:19 AM | Report abuse

"The good governor of Alaska doesn't understand that gays and lesbians don't want "tolerance." They want respect -- of their relationships and their families."

I thought the same thing as I watched the debate.

Posted by: ceeveg | October 3, 2008 5:23 AM | Report abuse

No one, and mean no one has mentioned that fact she, like Bush can not pronounce the word Nuclear. She must have said Nuculer 20 times. 'Drives me nuts. What is it with Palin and Bush and this word? It's a common word, a short word, a word that is pronounced the way it is spelled. Is it errogance or an absolute refusal to appear smart, or simply stupidity? Also, and also and also, how many times did she say also? She didn't implode like I thought she could have, but I suspected that she'd remember her lines like a good actress should and she did, even if she errogantly refused to answers the questions asked and told Ifil that "she may not answer the questions asked or follow the debate rules". THE MOST DISTURBING PART: when she suggested she'd like to assume more power in the Senate as VP. Thank goodness Biden quickly corrected the idea as unconstitutional by telling her and us all that the VP is part of the Executive Branch NOT the legislative branch. She sounded like Bush in drag trying to grab power before she's even in the position to attempt to do so. What is up with repubs total lack of respect for our Constitution and assuming that they can inject dictatorship authority into the Executive Branch?

Posted by: tspradlin | October 3, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I would think many folks who are gay or lesbian might have been even more offended by her saying her friend's sexual preference was a choice. This ties into the evangelical orthodoxy that gays and lesbians are sinners and are going to hell for "choosing" their sexual preference.

Words matter, and that was a very conscious word choice by Governor Palin.

Posted by: scott032 | October 3, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Are we intentionally missing the fact that BIDEN opposes gay marriage as well? I also would like an honest answer as to why it is wrong to be tolerant of something you do not agree with? I do not agree with gay marriages also, but the act itself does not harm me therefore I do not care either way-this in turn would make me tolerant.

With Facts: Are we again intentionally missing the fact that several senators have come forward and said that several of the accusations Biden made on McCain's voting record were in fact false and can prove it aside the fact that they were there themselves?

Biden may have corrected Palin's remark about VP, but he in fact corrected her wrong. Go back and look it up in the history or rather economic books at what he proposed what article I reads-

We should seek the truth on these matters because it is lies like these from those in Washington that have aided in getting us into the mess we now find ourselves in.

As Palin's way of speaking-are you guys serious? I am not saying I am for her or against her, but rather playing devil's advocate-People down South say y'all and it drives people up north crazy about as crazy as it make southerners to hear northerners say car, bar, chocolate or talk.

Get over the fact that she does not speak the way you think she should, that in its self is childish.

A persons character, who he/she does business with and what they stand for should be a tad more important than how they pronounce words.

If you are willing to overlook the fact that Obama has been and is still in bed with felons and criminals, has people on his housing committee that are the very people that cooked the books within Fannie and Freddie that is the main reason our economy is sucking a** as well as having a spiritual leader of 25 years brainwash him into thinking America sucks-then please vote for Obama.

If one thinks that McCain will do nothing more than carry on Bush's agenda and they are okay with that, then by all means vote for him.

There is an increasingly growing problem in American and it is that there is this ideological belief that we must let others think for us-God forbid we think for ourselves. God forbid we NOT be Politically Correct.

As a Native American Indian, although we refer to ourselves as Indian but clarification need be made in today’s society for obvious reason, I am troubled that there are those within this society that feel compelled to give others something for nothing simply on the notion that we must make-up for the past indiscretions of others.

Really? I know for a fact that there was another “race” of good people who were slaughtered by the thousands and stuck on reservation that had no change in hell of bringing prosperity to those people-but I guess we are okay with overlooking them?!

Robert Louis Stevenson once said: To Know What You Prefer Instead of Humbly Saying Amen to what Society Tells You You Ought to Prefer, is to have Kept Your Soul Alive"

Please think for yourselves, and please note that NO ONE is owed anything in this life, especially for something someone simply acquired by ascribed means.

Posted by: UNPoliticallyCorrect2008 | October 3, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse