The VP Debate: Maintaining Momentum

The debate is over. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin didn't self-immolate, even though a lot of her answers sounded like a document dump. Sen. Joe Biden didn't make any perceptible gaffes, even though he did run on a little long in his answers. As a result, the McCain-Palin campaign's lease on life has been extended. This is good news for a team that had nothing but bad news today. Polls heading south. The Republican ticket pulling out of Michigan.

If Sen. Barack Obama wants to maintain the unbelievable momentum that put the wind at his campaign's back for the last two weeks, he needs to release a statistic that could solidify the race to his advantage. I speak of the September fundraising number. Obama set a record in February when he raised $55 million. He set another record in August when he raised $66 million. There's no reason to think that Team Obama isn't sitting on another record. But when will it announce?

Word of the August number started leaking out on Saturday, Sept. 13. We're only at Oct. 2. But if Obama wants to add to McCain's misery, he'll do it between tomorrow and the next debate on Tuesday, Oct. 7. Obama could wait until Oct. 15, the day of the third and final presidential debate. But in this bizarre election that has had more than its fair share of twists, Obama would be wise to get that number out sooner rather than later.

By Jonathan Capehart  | October 2, 2008; 11:11 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The VP Debate: Remember Health Care
Next: The VP Debate: A Victory -- of Sorts

Comments

From:
Head of State

Thursday, October 02, 2008
Shorter Debate

Part I: Palin did not answer questions directly.

Part II: Biden incredibly strong--pointed out Palin "I heard no plan" on Iraq, very strong on economic and FP issues.

Veep issue devastating against Palin--actually claimed broader powers for VP, clearly without knowing actual constitutional powers. Biden powerful on Cheney--dials way up.

And then...The turning point. The Biden tears. After that, Biden was most clear, passionate and strong, and from there, Palin was gibberish.

Biden win.

Update:

CNN:

National poll of Debate Watchers:

Who won:

Biden: 51%

Palin: 36%

From:
Head of State

Posted by: robthewsoncamb | October 2, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

The ONLY good thing you can say about Obama is that he LEARNED in his community organizing days.. how to bleed the little guy of money. But then I expect his supporters in ACORN are doing all they can to make sure he get his money.

Next issue is that HE HAS FAILED to account for all his small dollar or less contributions.Claiming that they come from the little guy. I fully expect at some time
in the future that we will find that there was a lot of COLD HARD CASH buying those pre-paid credit cards.

Obama is also NOT properly reporting any campaign funds that he is RECEIVING FROM OVERSEAS.

Here is an individual that will be spending in excess of 625 MILLION DOLLARS to become KING OF AMERICA.

Michelle just recently 'discovered' that her ancestors were slaves in N.C.

Now the American voter can say their vote has been paid for by the rich and famous as well.

Posted by: miller51550 | October 2, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Gov Palin looked more like a robot reciting talking points over an over again even when it’s not applicable to the question that was posed by the moderator. Thus far, Gov. Palin has not done anything to reverse the wide-spread doubts that the majority of Americans have. In other words, she has not overcome the leadership threshold and did change the overall dynamics of the campaign. In addition, Palin did not do anything to further McCain’s causes.

On the style bases, Palin appeared cartoonish and robotic. Her whole demeanor looked weird to me. She was as she’s participating in a spelling bee. And to top of that, it made me uncomfortable that she kept winking at the camera. That does not lent credibility.

I have also noticed that she started slipping as time went on; she slipped into her gibberish talk. At the end, Joe brought the whole debate to an end with such an aliquant, substantive, and right on point. Joe Biden knew his stuff, and had the facts to prove it.

Posted by: KaneMan | October 2, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Most People are saying Biden Won the debate, to participate in a national poll go to http://www.watchdebate.com

Posted by: pastor123 | October 2, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Gentlemen Mrs. Palin has nothing to do with Mr. McCain. They are like oil and vinegar. I do not see that this couple can really do a good government. That will give hundred of crash between both personalities. She ignores what is her function as vice-president.
Between Mr. Biden and she is like between a granddaughter and the grandpa. She is in self a world very young and without looking the rest of the world that she believes is the real world.
Mister Biden was like always I saw him in control and the professor doing his job with knowledge and very patience.

Posted by: dillier | October 2, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Capehart,

Are you for real? I quote, "If Sen. Barack Obama wants to maintain the unbelievable momentum that put the wind at his campaign's back for the last two weeks, he needs to release a statistic that could solidify the race to his advantage. I speak of the September fundraising number. Obama set a record in February when he raised $55 million. He set another record in August when he raised $66 million. There's no reason to think that Team Obama isn't sitting on another record."

So what you are saying that because of raising records amounts of campaign funds that makes him the defacto President of the USA and that the election is just a mere formality? It is clear that you along with the rest of the left leading media has determined who should be president. I am disgusted by the way that the media has decided who should win this election and they will not accept anything less. Those that comprise main stream media claim to be journalists, well from my perspective they are no better than tabloid writers looking for a way to skewer Gov. Palin. If main stream media were truly journalists they would be asking hard questions of Obama. Why does the media not do that? I no longer trust anything that I read or hear from the main stream media and the sad part is that the media doesn't get it that they have lost the confidence of the American public that can think and reason.

With all due respect Mr. Capehart, you sir are no journalist.

Posted by: kkjeldsen | October 3, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

PALIN FAILS YET ANOTHER TEST

I know debate expectations for Sarah Palin were low, like "2000 Leagues Below the Sea" low, but I expect a little more substance from the person who is running to be one 72 year old heart beat away from the presidency.

Palin offered zero policy differences from the Bush administration. Her reasoning for this, apparently, was that the past is not important.
Palin did not display the ability draw upon her own experience or apply knowledge in her responses. She merely came across as a robot who spouted trained "stock" replies. She simply recited Republican talking points and right wing catch phrases that any Fox News employee could regurgitate on command.

In fact, the only win for the McCain/Palin ticket tonight was having a debate moderator who did not push for specific answers to her questions.
I cannot count the number of times Palin gave a response that had absolutely nothing to do with the question. Sometimes she
even gave an answer that was the opposite of what was asked. For example, when asked to list her "Achilles heel," instead of describing just one single weakness, Palin gave a memorized list of her "strengths." Reminds me of 2004 when Bush said he could not think of any mistake he ever made as president!

On a personal level, I was turned off by her shrill tone and twisted attacks at Joe Biden. And her transparent attempts at folksiness came across as down right corny. Is this how she would answer the 3am call? "Say it ain't so, Iran has nuclear weapons, well doggone it, don't those folks over there know that I'm a maverick who isn't afraid to give ya some straight talk?"

In short, Sarah Palin failed the "is she ready" test tonight. I find it impossible to imagine her in the White House.

Posted by: jgarrisn | October 3, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

In the shadow of the blatant and stunning sexism launched against the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign by Barack Hussein Obama and the liberal media, democratic Hillary supporters were thrilled to hear John McCain announce Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, because, she offers Americans a chance to vote for someone who is her own woman, and who represents a party that, while we don't agree on all the issues, at least respects women enough to take them seriously.

Having a woman in the White House, and not as The Spouse, is a change whose time has come, despite the fact that the media and Democratic Party leaders have decided otherwise. But with the Sarah Palin’s nomination, Clinton voters, in particular, have received a political wake-up call they never expected. Having watched their candidate and their principles betrayed by the very people who are supposed to be the flame-holders for equal rights and fairness, they now looking across the aisle and see a woman who represents everything the feminist movement claimed it stood for. Women can have a family and a career.
The democratic party’s bullying of the Clinton candidacy during the primary season was the first revelation of how misogynistic and sexist the democratic party has become. The democratic party has moved from taking the female vote for granted to outright contempt for women.

That's why Sarah Palin represents the most serious conservative threat ever to the modern democratic liberal claim on issues of male cultural and social superiority.
The time is now for a woman to be in the White House as an equal partner in governance.

The time is now for John McCain/Sarah Palin.

Country First! McCain/Palin

Posted by: Manolete | October 3, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Any person who watched today's debate would clearly come to the conclusion that Ms.Palin had nothing specific to say!. She spoke confidently about insignificant views.

Posted by: turlap | October 3, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Anybody watch Ifill? It was just as predicted after we found out about her biased book. What a fraud she is.

I have a 12 foot antenna dish and can pick up back channels the newtworks uses for internal communications.

And when Palin gave her incisive and well informed answers Ifill would occaisionally throw an actual large marshmellow to Biden who mocked Palin by mimicking a bear in the zoo and opening his mouth to catch them.

Who picks these biased left wing moderators? The ACLU? It was truly disgusting, blatant and just unfair.

I am not buying Ifill's book or that brand of marshmellow's ever. America needs another change--in moderators!

Posted by: patrick10 | October 3, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Tell you what, this independent was leaning toward Sen. Obama...I am now voting Democrat because of Sen. Biden. Knowledge of issues count with independents, not the constant fingerpointing, ducking direct questions and a lack of any specific policy plans (specifically Iraq).

I don't believe you win a debate by surviving...you prove yourself by answering the question at hand. Slandering and blaming the media (talking to you, Manolete and kkjeldsen), especially where the broad questions of Sarah Palin are coming FROM EVERYWHERE, is no longer a convincing argument.

I think that conservatives vastly underestimate what the independent voter are looking for, and in tonight's debate, for myself, it was not Gov. Palin. I think the polls (all polls) will back me up on this one.

Congrats, Joe, you've got my vote.

Posted by: kunanibeach | October 3, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Umm, I had to add a footnote to patrick10 and his comment of Ifill selling her books to the front rows. And I quote:

"At times I could see a utility camera picking up Ifill selling books to all the people in the first several rows near her. When Palin went on and on, Ifill was turning around peddling her new book. She was even autographing it. How rude!"

I found your comment particularly interesting as Ifill's book has yet to be written, lest even published.

I think I see the true bias here.

Posted by: kunanibeach | October 3, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Before the DNC convention, I was for McCain. After the DNC convention, I was for Obama. After the RNC convention, I was for McCain (not only because of Palin). After the 1st Pres. debate, I was slightly for Obama (even though I believe McCain won) because of Palin's interviews. I was worried for her in tonight's debate. But lo and behold. She spanked him big time! I'm totally sold out for McCain/Palin. No more flip-flopping. Obama is self-rightehous messiah wanna-bee. Biden showed who really is - a lying politician. So what if Sarah didn't understand 'Achilles Heel'? Big deal. Go McCain/Palin. You have my vote and the vote of my whole clan of 1000 people!

Posted by: FlipFlopper | October 3, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

patrick10:
I have a friend who works the secret service detail for Palin, and he said that Palin actually took that marshmallow back to Alaska with her to use part of it to make a floating, less expensive bridge to somewhere: Mayflower.

And she's going to use the rest of it to make s'mores with the swell residents of that fine l'il town.

Golly gee, ain't she the nicest dang person in the whole wide world?!

Posted by: franglais | October 3, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

It's obvious that Obama is going to be our next President. McCain and Palin are just too simple minded to run the White House. I thought Palin's debate was "passable" but...that is because the bar is set too low for her. Most people realize that McCain/Palin is NOT the one for this election cycle.

Posted by: kitten2 | October 3, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Patrick10...

Huh???? You need to put down the hookah during the debates, my friend.

Posted by: jspitler | October 3, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Before the DNC convention, I was for McCain. After the DNC convention, I was for Obama. After the RNC convention, I was for McCain (not only because of Palin). After the 1st Pres. debate, I was slightly for Obama (even though I believe McCain won) because of Palin's interviews. I was worried for her in tonight's debate. But lo and behold. She spanked him big time! She clearly showed her EXECUTIVE experience kick Obama and Biden's combined legislative experience. I'm now totally sold out for McCain/Palin. No more flip-flopping. Obama is self-rightehous messiah wanna-bee. Biden showed who really is - a lying politician. So what if Sarah didn't understand 'Achilles Heel'? Big deal. Go McCain/Palin. You have my vote and the vote of my whole clan of 1000 people!

Oh by the way, mainstream media is so very obviously bias against Palin. Doggone! Phew!

Posted by: FlipFlopper | October 3, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Also, I think it is very misguided...that some Clinton voters are more interested in the gender of the VP candidate as a legitimate reason to vote for McCain. Don't be fooled...women voters are not voting for McCain because of that sad, manipulation with Sarah Palin. If anything, I'm embarrased (as a Woman) to see Palin vying for the VP spot. She isn't a complex thinker...she has little to none experience....and the only "change" she can bring is the typical "cultural" change of being a hockey mom (remember soccer mom)or a.k.a. a woman...but these are difficult times and we need REAL Presidential material in the White House not "cutesy" adlibing.

Also, I don't think Hillary was the "one" because she and Bill were not for the "people"...they were too centrist. It was Hillary's voting record that turned me off and then she ran a nasty campaign on the level of Karl Rove (especially with the lying). Therefore, I am not suprised that hard-core Hillary supporters would support Sarah Palin is an obvious liar (with the Bridge to Nowhere) and such...I don't think those are the people I would be so concerned about losing them anyway...

Posted by: kitten2 | October 3, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Pitbull swallowed tape recorder.
-Push belly button to rewind.
-Hit nose to stop.
-Chews training bone on Pause.

Posted by: ElMugroso | October 3, 2008 3:29 AM | Report abuse

I tuned in to watch a debate and instead I sat through a Senator debating and a Governor giving mini speeches and most of the time those were not even on topic and were repeated. I am insulted that Governor Palin thinks that we Americans can be spoken to like children and expect to get respect in return. I hope that people can see through all of the clichés, winks, and basically down grades of the American public made by the Governor. My big question is this, why is the "bar” lowered for Governor Palin? The "bar"/standard is set for the Vice President, right? Do we lower our expectations because of who McCain picked, and if you say it's because she's a woman then I would think that women would be insulted at such a lowered expectation of them as a group. I am not a woman but I also do not believe in a different standard just because someone is or isn’t. I believe that the Vice President should be chosen on ability regardless of what sex they might be. I expect the VP to live up the standard and not a lowered set of thoughts just because that's our only choice due to McCain's choice. If people fall for the whole concept of well McCain will be the President Palin will just be in another part of D.C then just think of this. If McCain remains healthy, which as a human being I hope he does, Palin would still be the person talking to foreign leaders on our behalf. Do you think the foreign leaders of the world would appreciate her manner of speaking and not to mention her "jokes" that we don't even get. I say we stand up and say that we will not tolerate being manipulated any more, we will not be spoken to as if we are "8th graders", we will show the world that we are responsible leaders of the world and we can be trusted to come and help WHEN needed. Please vote responsibly, do not just go with "your" party and I say this to all political parties. Read and listen to what the people who want to be our face to the world have to say.
Jim Garrett, WI
P.S. I believe the white flag of surrender is flying high over the state of Michigan, Governor.

Posted by: JimGarrett | October 3, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse