The VP Debate: Palin Good, Biden Better

I have a question for the guy standing at the podium on the left side of my TV screen tonight: Who are you and what have you done with Joe Biden?

Sarah Palin was good. Biden was better.

Neither candidate scored a knockout. But if you had told me this afternoon Palin’s answers would follow some semblance of logic (and not sound like the ranting of someone in the throes of a nervous breakdown), I would’ve said they’d be dancing on the streets of Wasilla. Because that probably meant Palin handed Biden his lunch.

In the past two weeks, it seems as if Biden hasn’t opened his mouth without making some verbal blunder. I expected him to do the same tonight, or to say something condescending to Palin. At the very least, I thought he would ramble on so long that moderator Gwen Ifill would turn off his microphone. But he did a much better job of directly answering Ifill’s questions than Palin. And that moment when he got choked up referring to the accident that killed his wife and daughter and injured his two sons – shades of Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire – may be the only thing most people remember.

Palin’s performance should halt her freefall in popularity. Sure, it sometimes seemed as if campaign operatives where whispering answers into her ear. And if I hear the word “maverick” one more time, I’m going to hurl a large object at my television. But I think she reminded people why they liked her so much in the first place – it’s hard to resist that folksy charm.

If the polls are accurate, the McCain-Palin team is running out of time to even up the race. Recent events, most notably the financial crisis, are conspiring to boost Obama’s candidacy. And when Joe Biden gets through 90 minutes of talking without a major gaffe, you know things are really going your way.

By Steven Stein  | October 3, 2008; 12:19 AM ET
Categories:  Stein  | Tags:  Steven Stein
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The VP Debate: Palin's Big Mistake
Next: The VP Debate: Sarah the Speedy

Comments

I love Joe Biden. He was beautiful tonight and I thought the clear winner of the debate. Sarah Palin, thankfully for her self esteem, did redeem herself. I was sick to the stomach watching Palin with Katie Curic. Yet, Palin is not even close to being qualified and came across like a pageant contestent with the head tilts and winks. However, the expectations (given her recent displays of terrifying ignorance) were so low that by not talking in unfinished sentences and bizzare incoherent thoughts, Sarah did okay as McCain's programmed "pull-the-string" doll. Funny how some of her positions are not McCain's but that's okay too. For many reasons I hope that Palin stays far from the presidency. I think that Palin's beautiful newborn son deserves and needs the full attention of his mom way more than America needs Sarah Palin.

Posted by: collette0779 | October 3, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Biden and Palin Proved the Tickets need switched around.

Most People are saying Biden Won the debate, to participate in a national poll go to http://www.watchdebate.com

Posted by: pastor123 | October 3, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Biden won, hands down.

As a woman, i find it insulting that just because she didn't crumple to the floor and start blathering and drooling all over herself, Palin is considered "Good". She sucked! She was reading directly off her cheat sheet the whole time!

It reminds of of condescending comments like, "Hey, you're pretty good...for a girl."

Sarah Palin needs to be held to as high a standard as the men.

Anything less is SEXIST.

Posted by: julieds | October 3, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Biden did goof on the Constitutional Article that describes the VP role. I believe he made a mistake on the location of Darfur, too.

The biggest goof was Biden's reassurance that Obama wants him to sit by his side during major decisions and help him govern.

Posted by: hocndoc | October 3, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of new-born son: why wasn't that poor baby in bed? She uses her family as props.

Posted by: cthehill | October 3, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Before the DNC convention, I was for McCain. After the DNC convention, I was for Obama. After the RNC convention, I was for McCain (not only because of Palin). After the 1st Pres. debate, I was slightly for Obama (even though I believe McCain won) because of Palin's interviews. I was worried for her in tonight's debate. But lo and behold. She spanked him big time! I'm totally sold out for McCain/Palin. No more flip-flopping. Obama is self-rightehous messiah wanna-bee. Biden showed who really is - a lying politician. So what if Sarah didn't understand 'Achilles Heel'? Big deal. Go McCain/Palin. You have my vote and the vote of my whole clan of 1000 people!

Posted by: FlipFlopper | October 3, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Palin had pleasant and confident appearance, but her brain was empty. This election is not about style and appearence. If American people think Palin is qualified for VP after watching this debate, that’s very sad that the nation has such low expectation for our Vice President.
Joe Biden sincerely answered all the questions. He has won my vote with his intelligence, his insight of the issues, his world view and his vision for the American future. He is qualified to be the president to lead the country anytime in case of need.

Posted by: Chcornfield | October 3, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Joseph Biden did a great job in this debate and showed incredible knowledge and intelligence.

Though Palin didn''t flub up like she did in earlier interviews, she kept ignoring the questions that were asked and instead kept talking about energy since obviously this was the one thing that she''s familiar with. She tried to come off as real folksy and down to earth but if you look at where she and McCain stand on all the issues you''ll see that they''re not for the average middle class American but rather are for the large oil and gas companies and the very wealthy who''ve all gotten richer during the past 8 years unlike the rest of middle class America.

Please everyone read up on ALL the issue and where the candidates stand on them. I''ve done that and from what I''ve found, the Democrats are the Party that actually cares about the middle class.

Posted by: scout_march16 | October 3, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Joe kicked butt. Sarah's got a nice smile but talking points aren't leadership and competence. repeat after me, "create jobs, low taxes." Saying it doesn't make it so.

Posted by: thebobbob | October 3, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Once Obama and Biden have won the election and the danger of Palin becoming president is over, I will begin to feel sorry for her. She is being used as a token and doesn't have the sophistication to realize it. She's being asked to symbolize the youth McCain lacks, the extremist views the right wing of his party thinks he lacks, and the informality and personal charm he definitely lacks. Apparently he thinks her meager intellect will appeal to people who identify with it, but most people who talk the way she does and trivialize weighty issues as she does nevertheless have enough sense to want a president who's smarter than they are. It's pathetic to see a woman used so blatantly to get a man the job he wants. Fortunately she'll soon be sent back to her family in Alaska.

Posted by: bumpyroad | October 3, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

The hard core Repubs including the pseudo FlipFloper will remain with McCain, and the rest of us remain with Obama, which still leaves him ahead and on the way to the White House.

Posted by: skolniks | October 3, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

As a woman, I was extremely offended by Gov Palin's winking and fake smile throughout the debate. She compromised her credibility in my opinion. There were several questions that she apparently chose to ignore and answered (on a different subject) with her memorized script. It was clearly obvious that she had answer cards with her (she kept reading from them). She continually tried to turn the discussion to energy where she feels comfortable. She actually mentioned the $40 billion dollar pipeline that she "held the Alaska legislature hostage" for until they finally allowed her to give a CANADIAN company the contract for -- this pipeline is still in the predesign phase and has no actual time frame for starting construction. But by golly, she is trying to take credit for getting that pipeline going.

Where did she get the Minnesota accent and why can't she enunciate properly?

If you really want to know what the Alaskan people think, check your favorite search engine for anti Palin rallies in Anchorage -- there have been two of them with significant turnout for Alaska. There is also an Obama/Biden rally this weekend that is expected to draw in excess of 10,000 people (more than 25 people is huge in Alaska). The Alaska people want to be heard -- and they don't think she is qualified to be Governor much less Vice President (there is a recall petition with her name on it appearing soon).

GO OBAMA!!!

Posted by: nancyandjean | October 3, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

"She did not answer questions. No matter what question was asked, she talked about energy, or started another attack to redirect attention. I was very disappointed that the moderator did not do her job to require Palin to answer the question that was asked."

Posted by: Chcornfield | October 3, 2008

McCain's team negotiated the ground rules to make sure that Palin could get away with avoiding the question.

Posted by: j2hess | October 3, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Stein is wrong -- it's VERY easy to resist that "folksy" charm.

Posted by: Paul_C | October 3, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Biden hung in there tonight under the unique conditions of the debate. However, for me he showed that Obama should have picked Hillary. Hillary would have blown her off of the stage. Hillary was the better choice for President in the first place.

Posted by: getitdoneright | October 3, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Sorry -- I meant to say "folksy charm."

I felt like I was watching a character in a bad amateur play, dreadfully overacting...

Biden was the real deal.

Posted by: Paul_C | October 3, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

...But it's true, isn't it -- she really doesn't know what an 'Achilles Heel' is?

And yes -- Joe Biden was fantastic.

Posted by: michaelphilip | October 3, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Independent who was thoroughly impressed and dazzled by a candidate who far exceeded my first impressions....Joe Biden. Bottom line, he answered questions directly. Palin did not. My moment came when she couldn't list a single thing the ticket would give up. That shows me a lack of planning, an unreasonable confidence, and an unwillingness to compromise.

Just like Palin said "John McCain, the man we want to leave". Freudian slip, anyone?

Posted by: kunanibeach | October 3, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

She was more terrifying than I expected -- I thought after all the coaching, in this simple format, she'd be moderately impressive. She was horrific.

Posted by: jbh1 | October 3, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Palin was a credit to herself and her handlers but I was struck by the highly scripted feel of her responses and how she kept steering back to her rehearsed answers. This was an obvious strategy and one that tells me that cramming for exams only gets one so far. I think independent voters will be more impressed with Biden and his obvious grasp of the issues and deeply held convictions. If the question is (as it really is) who do you trust to be President? the answer is obvious.

Posted by: danlbell | October 3, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it's so hard to resist "that folksy charm." I found all that winking to be disconcerting. And I don't know how many times you can say maverick and taxes in 90 minutes. I guess her two weeks of debate training added up to, "it doesn't matter so much if you make sense, but here's a list of ten words we want you to say as often as you possibly can."

Posted by: nodebris | October 3, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

"Governor Sarah Palin may have repeatedly deflected tonight questions from debate moderator Ms. Gwen Ifill to pronouncements about motherhood and apple pie," opined Dr. Jay Layknow, Dean of the School of Journalism at Arizona State University, "but I give her credit for not saying things like 'motherhood is the shining beacon of light atop an apple pie.' So I give her an A+ in that regard."

Posted by: AMemberofHumanSociety | October 3, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Did I hear Palin say that McCain tapped her? How many times did she say "tapped?" She's like a hammered Frank Luntz. I swear the McCain camp has some drinking issues. Their decision-making, the selection of Palin, the way they choose to use her, is like a hammered Frank Luntz.

I really liked this one ... "And I may not answer the questions that either the moderator or you want to hear."

And this is a flat LIE being perpetrated by Palin:

"That doesn't cost the government anything as opposed to Barack Obama's plan to mandate health care coverage and have universal government run program and unless you're pleased with the way the federal government has been running anything lately, I don't think that it's going to be real pleasing for Americans to consider health care being taken over by the feds."

Seriously people ... if that's what she thinks is Obama's healthcare plan, SARAH PALIN IS DANGEROUS AND CONFUSED!!!

Posted by: hesingswithfrogs | October 3, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Well. This was a refreshing evening of political discussion. Senator Biden did a better job of answering the questions posed to the candidates, but Governor Palin at least remained focused and engaged with her opponent and the moderator, even though she fell back on platitudes and talking points for much of the debate.. So far, these were the two best debaters in the race, and I'm glad I took the time to watch.

Posted by: jspitler | October 3, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Biden came across as experienced and knowledgeable and more charming than Palin. It was great when he responded to all her "Mom" stuff by saying that just because he's a man doesn't mean he hasn't been a single parent or had a child who might not make it. That should have shut her up about motherhood being a qualification for high office.

Posted by: bumpyroad | October 3, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin definitely won the debate. Biden was also wrong on at least 10 of his statements.

Posted by: DL13 | October 3, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what commentators mean when they refer to Palin's "folksy charm." What exactly is charming about mouthing empty talking points and platitudes, interspersed with winks and dropped final g's? By the way, I never could understand who though G.W. Bush was charming either.

Posted by: staceyw1 | October 3, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a sophomoric "analysis." If you can't do better than this, you should hang up your punditry pen, Steve.

If Stein really thought there was any chance that Palin would be bumbling and incoherent or that Biden would be misogynist and babbling, Stein was an incredibly simple-minded observer.

The folksy charm of Palin was no surprise, but neither was her strategy--largely ignore the questions and regurgitate a largely memoriazed answer of extremely general pablum. Nor was Biden's strong, fact-intensive performance any suprise for anyone who paid any attention to him in the primary debates.

Stein happens upon the right conclusion. But none of it should have been a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention and hasn't been wrapped up in spin and the media's caricatured predictions.

Grade: D.

Posted by: uh_huhh | October 3, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Biden was commanding. He stayed on point and avoided getting entangled in Palin's cheap shots. Did Palin actually answer a question? It seemed as though she had canned responses and did not really care what question was asked before she launched into energy/taxes etc.

At times Palin sounded pretty rattled but she got straight back to her talking points. Expectations for her were so low she had to look good.

Why was she allowed to continue with the lie that Obama will increase taxes? Biden pointed out the real situation but she just kept pounding on increased taxes and job losses. Smear and fear! Ifill was very subdued - the Republican attacks got through to her. I really would have liked to hear some follow ups to try any get both candidates off their prepared lines.

Posted by: Cataplasm | October 3, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

i found it interesting that when asked what the role of the vp was palin chose not to answer that question(like other questions) while biden explained what the vp does then cited late what a bad example of a vp was.(cheney) it was an easy victory for biden. palin did better than expected, but in no way won the debate... her answers were not specific and at times she chose to not answer the questions presented to her.....

Posted by: bitterindependent | October 3, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Palin was great. Biden wasn't. He should have been, even with his years and years of experience, but he was not. He is a lesser candidate. That's why he lost the presidential race. Does anyone get that?!

Palin is an impressive candidate who has changed the face of the election campaign, and it's all spin and damage control for the dems for the rest of the campaign. That's why the media has been attacking her so hard and will continue to do so.

Posted by: Mariangela | October 3, 2008 2:38 AM | Report abuse

FlipFlopper,

If you think that Palin won this debate, you were never going to vote for Obama, so don't try to fool us. The only thing Palin won was an award for being a quick study. She only regurgitated the same nonsense McCain spewed in his first debate. I could have done that, I have a great memory for details. But when it came down to answering questions that weren't on the script, she had no clue what to say, so she went back to previous answers and once again regurgitated them. So once again, you are not fooling anyone that you once were for Obama. Nice try though. Of course I could be wrong and you might be one of those mindless voters who vote on a whim, or because they like the candidates hair color, or pretty smile. Who knows.

Posted by: McSameChalin | October 3, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

When you combine the first debate with McCain and Obama and last night's debate with Palin and Biden, you get a profile of two highly intelligent, experienced, reasoned and reasonable adults vs an angry arrogant and erratic old man with a cute, folksy but fairly empty headed tow-along. Obama/Biden have won hand down.

Posted by: katharinestavrinou | October 3, 2008 2:42 AM | Report abuse

If you listen to the replay, Palin gets worst!

Posted by: lydialdurham | October 3, 2008 2:56 AM | Report abuse

I read the headline and then proceeded read through the rest of this post and thought, "Who is this Stein stooge? This hack no-nothing? This guy is so obviously full of sh$t and quite possibly the second biggest idiot I've ever heard -- next to Sarah Palin." If you truly believe Palin was good -- then note one segment following any question by Gwen Ifil where Palin first, answer the question, second elucidated well, and third, gave an impression that she was well versed an nuanced in the subject. None is the correct answer. This is scary for a number of reasons - but the biggest are these two: One, she is so close to being the one behind the free leader of the world and two ... if there are people out there like Stein is goes to show you that American is so full of stupid people that we can't even tell what stupid is anymore.

Posted by: rimbaud1 | October 3, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

I would imagine that there are very few small town Mayors who expect to rise to become the VP of the United States in 2 years time. If so, they must be extroadinarily gifted and ambitious individuals. We really must ask ourselves the very serious question, does Sarah Palin rise to the level of being so extraordinary that she should be our VP? Her debate performance was very good for a Mayor, but did not meet my expectations of a Vice President. Btw, I know she is currently Gov. Of the very small (population) state of Alaska. Speaking of which, Id be a bit concerned if the Gov. Of my state gave such a performance.

Posted by: Norcal | October 3, 2008 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Kunanibeach, I found telling the slip about "John McCain, the man we want to leave." The expression on her face seemed to me to be one of someone shocked by the appearance of their own subconscious. I immediately thought of Anne Kilkenny's email: "She has bitten the hand of every person who extended theirs to her in help." In her hyper-ambitious heart of hearts, she can't wait to get McCain out of the way.

Posted by: fischbyne | October 3, 2008 3:32 AM | Report abuse

"The amount of damage control by the dems right now is pretty entertaining. McCain succeeded in the first pres debate and this sent the media spinning.

The media who is biased and pushes the Obama liberal program is having a fit right now, trying very, very hard to color this favorably for Obama, who is a lesser candidate and out of his depth compared to McCain."

Delusional beyond hope = Perfect Republican

Posted by: lefthanderla | October 3, 2008 4:09 AM | Report abuse

Steve Schmidt needs to give Sarah Palin the definition of "achilles heel," the next time they have their little tutoring sessions. It's obvious that she didn't have a clue what the moderator meant.

If I hear her use that phrase "hungry for energy" one more time, I am going to throw up. You can't eat oil- or you shouldn't have to.

O'Biden? He is Irish, that's true.

She is still a liar, and totally ignorant about relevant national and international issues- despite the winks and smiles.

It's obvious that John McCain has lost his marbles with this one.

P.S. Senator McNasty, I don't attend "Georgetown cocktail parties." dog gone it, y'all.Wink, wink.

Posted by: Luke2 | October 3, 2008 4:41 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely Pathetic! That poor girl, after all that coaching still needed the prompt cards. We had a guy in Australia, Premier of Queensland, who used to answer every question with the same response, "Never mind that! You should be asking me, Blah Blah Blah" Then he would talk for ages answering the questions he asked himself! I reckon Sarah must have studied his style.
Now look America, you've had time to see and hear what a ding-a-ling this lady is, so for all our sakes, don't let her near the button. Send her back to Alaska or wherever! At least you have Canada between you and her!

Posted by: valart9 | October 3, 2008 5:35 AM | Report abuse

palin was talking points, talking points, and talking points. Clearly, her aides were determined to prevent another Couric catastrophe, and you could see how much she had been drilled: especially on the economy, when Biden talked about McCain's vigorous past support for deregulation and Palin said something along the lines of, "I'd like to respond to your point about tax increases," blatantly changing the subject away from something that she couldn't respond to (to be fair, I don't know how she could respond... Biden was just right) to something about whichh she had talking points sitting in front of her. Then she said that she might not answer the questions, she was just going to talk straight to the american people. That's a nice way of saying, 'I view this debate not as a debate with another person but as an opportunity to give my stump speech to millions of viewers on television."

Posted by: shad0wfax | October 3, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Palin had set the bar so incredibly low with her Couric interview, coming into this debate all she had to do was stumble over it to be successful. The fact is she hopped over it by actually finishing sentences and sounding somewhat coherent. Whether she answered any questions intelligently, now that's debatable.

Biden on the other hand had quite the hurdle. Clearly an experienced debater he had high expectations, and managed to pole vault over them by coming away gaffe free and by giving precise, thoughtful and intelligent answers.

Funny thing is, both VP candidates achieved their objectives.

Posted by: jcurphy | October 3, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Biden is almost always good in debates and nearly always gaffe free. The constricted time forces him to throw out all but the most direct answers.

It's when Biden gets in a format where there is no limit on his time to respond that he starts yakking and gaffes.

Posted by: Section506 | October 3, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Here is my take on the debate last night:

1) Joe Biden was real
2) Suzie Sixpack had all her lines memorized - since she has been in debate camp for 5 weeks now and I love the way she could smile through all of her lines! Even when the questions are serious it is almost like "i know this answer- how am i doing dad?" smiling all the way -
3) I thought the moderator was not good at all, maybe it was the way the format was set up
But she gave up more walks than Mitch Williams (remember the guy who pitched the last ball for the Phillies in 1993)-

It is a sad state of affairs when you have people that live in this country be taken by a smile and a wink - talk about a gotcha moment - She clearly can read her index cards - but wait a minute - thats right! that is the reason why she couldnt remember what newspapers she reads - because she only reads index cards!
I bet you any amount of money they will not have her do one on one interviews with anybody - too risky - they wont let her use index cards in a face to face meeting. Sorry Sorry Sorry. I am ashamed when I see fools on TV falling all over themselves, gushing, how great she was - she got points for walking in the door! Now the issue is how Tina Fey do her winkin blinkin and nod routine on Saturday night live. I cant wait to see that! )

Obama/Biden 08 - our future is at stake!

Posted by: flo8143 | October 3, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Stein I do not know what debate you had been watching, she was bad! She wants to be like "Joe Six Pack". Hello!! We are just finishing a disastrous run from "George 12 pack". What a mess he has left. This is the only idiot country that will elect a President because he or she is like someone they want to have a beer with. The hell with folksie and false bravado. Give me intelligence and competency!!She wants to be folksie and one of us, yet at every opportunity she fails to answer any questions on what her and McCain would do for the middle class. Case in point when Biden challenged her to talk about a plan for the middle class she states she will answer how she wants and goes on to talk about energy whcich appears to be the only thing she knows anything about. Give me a break, more of the same Wars and tax breaks for rich corps. Obama and Biden thats it I have seen enough!!

Posted by: BROWL | October 3, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

No... Palin wasn't good. Palin was good for Palin. I can't think of any other politician on the national level -- with the exception of Pres. Bush -- having a performance like that and being commended for it. Low expectations are one thing, but lowering the standards for quality, substantive poltical discourse is another. I find Palin-the-person and Palin-the-concept quite frightening and disconcerting. Thank God we don't apply the same standards to other walks of life. My doctor doesn't need to be "just like me", and my standards for judging him/her are higher than just not killing me.

Posted by: tonyharris | October 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Joe Biden showed up for to debate. Sarah Palin showed up to spew rhetoric to cover up for her complete lack of understanding of US politics. It's amazing that in potentially the most important election in US history, Sarah Palin is celebrated for mediorcrity.

I remember another Republican who demonstrated "folksy" charm and could identify with "Joe Six-Pack". All he did was make the rich richer at 6% a year over the last 8 years while watching the middle class deteriorate. Oh, and he accomplished record low approval ratings and managed to knock the US from economic superpower status. But I guess people like FlipFlopper think it's a good idea to try it again.

Hey, my Mom was a "hockey Mom". All that meant was she was qualified to drive me to hockey games, not be Vice President of the United States. Change is putting a qualified and respected individual back in the Whitehouse.

Posted by: ronduguay40 | October 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Biden was commanding, thoughtful, concise, brilliant, and deep. Palin seemed to be trying hard for "cute as a button" and schoolgirlish (Hey, I've only been around for 5 weeks, and you expect me to KNOW stuff? How'm'I doin', there, pretty darn good, eh? Wink.) She is cute as a button. But cute isn't going to reform Washington any more than it reformed Wasilla.

Change in Washington is more than a change of clothes & faces.

Do we really want someone who is five weeks along in preparation for the presidency? Not me. I'll take the combined intelligence and experience and fully adult Obama-Biden team!

Let's save "folksy" for TV entertainment, folks.

Posted by: cturtle1 | October 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Joe Biden deserves sainthood for graciously enduring Sarah Palin last night.

I don't know which is worse - Sarah's acceptance speech, in which she acted like a pitbull in lipstick and designer glasses; her interviews, for which she crammed and then got flustered when she was asked a question that she hadn't studied for (like name a newspaper or two that you routinely read); or 'folksy' Sarah, where she answered the questions she wanted to answer and then kept repeating the answers to those same questions when she was asked other questions she didn't want to or couldn't answer.

If this 'folksy' Sarah was supposed to make me warm up to her, it failed. I caught her several times lying either about the Obama/Biden positions or McCain's. Like Biden and millions of other Americans, I grew up in a working class community, so I have absolutely nothing in comon except chromosomes with a woman who hunts caribou, shoots wolves from airplanes (now that's real sportsmanship), and has a favorite recipe for moose stew. My friends and I swap recipes for dips, casseroles and cakes, when we're not talking about the job market, rising prices and our falling retirement funds.

Finally, there's that voice! She sounds as though she's in the process of being strangled and peppering all her statements with, "youbetchas" and "doggoneits" sounded a bit contrived.

My final conclusion was that Joe Biden is not only smart, but a better human being than I am, because he remained gracious throughout the evening. I know if I were stuck on stage with her, I would not have.

Posted by: laSerenissima2003 | October 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Folksy charm may be hard to resist, but not when you realize the stakes are just too high.
There is a time and a season for everything and this certainly isn't the time for whimsy.

Posted by: sagalin | October 3, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

The folksy thing was great at the Republican convention but now the American people want to be surprised by her insight - her understanding of economics and national defense, her understanding of the principles of foreign policy, even her understanding of energy.

For an expert on energy I was surprised she didn't attack the notion or Theory of Peak Oil. Why? If Peak Oil theory is correct then the whole adventure in Iraq was a dangerous waste of time. Every dollar in Iraq should have been spent on renewal energy - solar and wind.

Like Matthew Simmons, considered by many the top oil analyst in the world, a member of President Bush's energy advisory and a life time republican - I doubt Ms Palin knows anything about energy either.

Posted by: agapn9 | October 3, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the poster FlipFlopper is posting the same comment on all the sections in PostPartisan. It's pretty obvious you're trying to influence people's opinions. Which is kinda odd, really. I'm an independent, but I'll be dam*ed if I'm going to vote for someone whose VP choice continued the practice of having assault victims pay for their own rape kits. Disgusting.

Posted by: Cake_Or_Death | October 3, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"folksy charm"?? Oh, for goodness' sake. Maybe to a city boy. Those of us who grew up well outside even small towns can manage to speak without exxagerated "folksiness". Ellie May Clampett was less "folksy".

Posted by: jcrobin | October 3, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

It would appear, like Bush 2 in his debates, Palin was wearing a wire. She was obviously listening to directions from afar or even close range.

Do we want another puppet in the White House?
Two are enough.

Posted by: tedjulinski | October 3, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

[[But I think she reminded people why they liked her so much in the first place – it’s hard to resist that folksy charm.]]

Not hard for me. I find her vernacular contrived and cloying.

Posted by: creatia52 | October 3, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@: FlipFlopper...
First you were McCain, then Obama, then McCain, then Obama again and now McCain AGAIN???? And Sarah Palin's extraordinary ability to dodge and skirt questions led you to this revelation?

You're doing what Sarah Palin accused Obama and Biden of doing- flip-flopping on decisions so you're for the "top dog" at the time. Also, according to Palin- "if you're for it, you should just say you're for it and go with that". You seem to take PRIDE in being non-committal and a crowd-following lemming. Like whatever team wins you're on that team so you can be a winner too. This is the Presidential Election- not a run for Student Body President at your local high school.

Posted by: lioness_ohyes | October 3, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

VP DEBATE TURNS PALINGATE. BIDEN PROVES INFORMED, EXPERIENCED, SEASONED, & READY FOR THE JOB. PALIN SHOULD HAVE A LAP DANCER SEGMENT ON THE OREILLY FACTOR/FOX NOISE MACHINE & GOP MCCAIN INFOMERCIAL NETWORK. SHE'S A CUTE PERSONALITY, THOROUGHLY UNQUALIFIED TO BE VP OF HER OWN MIND, LET ALONE, THE LARGEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. PALINIMBLE BRAIN IS A BAD JOKE & THE BEST EXAMPLE OF MCINSANE'S JUDGMENT. SCARY! LOVED HER COMMENTS ABOUT EXPANDING THE POWERS OF THE VICE PRESIDENCY AND ANNOUNCING HER COMMITMENT NOT ANSWER TO GWEN IFII'S OR ANY OF THE MEDIA'S QUESTIONS AS ASKED, ONLY RECITING GOP TALKING POINTS, LIKE A KID SHOUTING/SPELLING THE LETTERS OF A WORD IN A GRADE SCHOOL SPELLING B. HORRIFIC! HER TALKING POINTS WERE GIMMICKRY WITH A WHINNY MEANNESS. WILL SHE BE DESIGNING/DECORATING THE USA-ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN-JERUSALEM EMBASSY WITH A MOOSE LODGE MOTIF IN MIND.
Mediocrity & Maverickity: If your child comes home with a D- on their report card and you believe that at least this child didn't get an F and are happy with this grade as a parent, then Palin is your candidate. Palin was TV engaging, she would be a great Host on her own daytime talk show, watch out Oprah & Ellen. I'm certain we haven't seen the last of this politician, and an outsider she's not! Here's a quick Palin Tracker:www(dot)mudflats(dot)wordpress(dot)com
The so-called liberal media have been certain to gladly hand Palin's ticket a huge pass on many viable news items that would make Obama's presidency a grand slam, my friends! Please check out the many sites that expose the McManiac/Palingate Philosophy, be certain to pass this information on to all media & journalistic organizations, and your friends & families:

www(dot)mccainslobbyists(dot)com

www(dot)mccainsource(dot)com

www(dot)plnewsforum(dot)com/index.php/forums/viewthread/39966
www(dot)phoenixnewtimes(dot)com/1989-11-29/news/mccain-the-most-reprehensible-of-the-keating-five/1

www(dot)republicansexoffenders(dot)com

www(dot)therealmccain(dot)com/butler

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=GEtZlR3zp4c

www(dot)tpmmuckraker(dot)talkingpointsmemo(dot)com/2008/09/mccain_advisers_husband_heads(dot)php

www(dot)rationalrevolution0(dot)tripod(dot)com/war/bush_family_and_the_s(dot)htm

Posted by: wyattobamanation | October 3, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

What we're seeing here is REVERSE SEXISM!

Imagine if it was a MAN that delivered Palin's rediculous performace last night.
Heck, if it was Hillary giving a performace like that EVERYONE would say she failed big time!

Grow a pair, media!

Posted by: jgarrisn | October 3, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

After 30 years in the Senate, Biden still managed to mangle the Constitution. Article 1 establishes the legislative branch, NOT the executive branch as Biden claimed. And the Constitution doesn't simply treat the vice president as a member of the executive branch; the vice president also is given legislative powers by Article 1, Section 3, which states that the vice president shall be President of the Senate, but has no vote unless equally divided. Apparently, Cheney is right--the vice president is a member of both the executive and legislative branches. Biden better read up on the description of the job for which he's campaigning.

Posted by: judithod | October 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I just realized...maybe most Republicans are as folksy, empty-headed, narrow-minded, moose-huntin', backwoodsy as Sarah, darnit. Heck, thus, the attraction. RE: George Bush, Ronald Reagan.

Posted by: schaeffz | October 3, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain and Sarah Palin in 2008

Posted by: hclark1 | October 3, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

nancyandjean commented: Where did she get the Minnesota accent and why can't she enunciate properly?
-------------------------------------------
Is this a typical arrogant East Coast comment? We Minnesotans consistently rank in the top tier in educational ratings and in political participation. Please save your disparaging comments for the mainstream media, which has lost touch with Main Street, USA.

Posted by: judithod | October 3, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Doggone it, I thought I was watching Annie Oakley of the 21st century! Palin's fast-talkin' an' jaw juttin' performance brought to my mind an image of a quick-draw pistol-twirlin' show girl of the wild west. I disagree with those who think there was nuthin' for Saturday Night Live. Palin provided plenty of fun fodder for Tina Fey this week.

Posted by: MareBear | October 3, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"it’s hard to resist that folksy charm."

Not really. It gets drowned out by the inescapable impression that Sarah Palin is not someone to turn your back to. Especially not when she's smiling.

Posted by: mattdance18 | October 3, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I've seen this comment on other posts as well. Nice try flipflopper, or should I say....Todd.

Posted by: FlipFlopper | October 3, 2008 12:57 AM

Posted by: rlk42 | October 3, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Any of the pundits (including the author of this article) who says that Palin was "good" should be fired immediately. We are talking about the vice presidency of the United States here, not prom queen. Was the bar so low for Palin last night that any gibberish, any unanswered question, any meandering answer gets a "good job" from you people? You are all disgraceful incompetents!!

Posted by: rlk42 | October 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FlipFlopper | October 3, 2008 12:57 AM

Posted by: rlk42 | October 3, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The debate reminded me of an old high school baseball coach I had. We were getting hammered game after game when we encountered a excellent team that was supposed to give us an extraordinary defeat. We took them to extra innings before losing! Our coach's thoughts on it? "Boys you are losing better!" I'm not sure if Palin is losing better, but she sure did lose last night!

Posted by: bjlohse_6 | October 3, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

You are basing your confidence in the Democrat ticket on the fact that Biden made no major "gaffe" in the debate? Mr. Stein, you got it wrong. Biden good, Palin a shining star.

Posted by: petersuares | October 3, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Watching this debate, I kept wondering what office Sarah Palin is running for, Vice President of the United States, or President of the Used Car Salesman's Guild?

Posted by: JoeBewildered | October 3, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Flipflopper and others who support the notion that Palin won this debate:

You are not fooling anyone. You are die-hard Republicans grasping for any semblence of legitimacy for Ms. Palin, even should it be nothing more than a strawman/woman. I find it impossible to believe that anyone could have watched that debate and genuinely believed Palin won.

Palin offered nothing more than pre-recorded/ memorized sound bites that had been hammered into her head by McCain senior advisors. She failed to provide anything of substance beyond the one-liners on the notecards before her and only truly appeared comfortable when falling back on the "Joe Six Pack" appeal. (If you are still attracted to the "ordinary guy/gal " running the country hypothesis after the last 8 years then you have the mental ability of a rock)

The Republican Party has become grossly incompetent, pathetic and frankly, dangerous. Is this really your best ticket? McCain and Palin? Are you really comfortable with Palin being in the Oval Office? This is the leader you want for our country?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above then you are a sad example of a political observer/thinker, will fall in line regardless of where the line is going and are the ultimate sheep.

STOP SHEEP VOTING IN 2008.

Posted by: FleecetheSheep | October 3, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, that performance last night was not Sarah Palin. That was Sarah Palin impersonating Tina Fey impersonating Sarah Palin.

Posted by: texanforobamabiden | October 3, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

After the flustered incompetent manner exhibited in Couric’s infamous interview, I give Sarah a “thumbs up” for redeeming her TV persona. She did well, given what is a particularly steep learning curve for her. I find no fault in her. I believe she did her best. And for that, she receives a modicum of merit.

But as a candidate for world leader, where is her protocol? Where is her propriety? Do you recall she never attributed title to Senator Obama? She called Senator Biden by title, but called Senator Obama - "Barack!" Small as that is, (to many of us who find comfort in casualness), this writer saw a glimpse of the fracture in her façade. She is helplessly unaware of what can be deduced as capricious rather than “maverick” behavior. It is testy pre-adolescence and narcissistic at best; a daughter putting on mommy’s makeup and wearing mommy’s clothes is not really being mommy.

Biden was clearly the winner on so many levels. Both candidates came into this debate with a national audience who clearly observed their faults. Every asset can also be its own liability. Sometimes it is necessary to tone down that characteristic.

Biden, a wizard at politics, miraculously showed his strength by a renewed discipline. He gestured an "olive branch" to Sarah, as did the den of lions to the prophet Daniel. As Emerson wrote in his essay, Self Reliance, “Trust your emotion. In your metaphysics you have denied personality to the Deity, yet when the devout motions of the soul come, yield to them heart and life, though they should clothe God with shape and color. Leave your theory, as Joseph his coat in the hands of the harlot, and flee.”

Biden could have eaten Sarah alive, both in knowledge, experience and personality. Instead, he fled from such temptation and appeared as a merciful and gracious opponent. It is not what he said that devoured Sarah. Rather it is what antithetically he did not say or do that devoured Sarah. He respected her humanity, recognized her token representation and as a father to a child, protected her from himself.

Emerson also writes, “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall.” Sarah receives credit for her effort. She prophetically spoke when she said, “Hey, I’ve been at this only five weeks.”

We must not fault Sarah for being called into candidacy. Who among runner-ups for a beauty contest still seeks that “crown?”

Posted by: backatchoo | October 3, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

You east coast librals are so dumb I can't believe it. Palin wooped Biden's but last night. She is a true American Hero. Her love of god and Jesus and country is honest and she is a very classy lady. I think your all a bunch of sexist idiots. You can make fun of her all you want but its because you don't know what class is when you see it. I would rather have some on who is honest and a True American than some muslim like Obama. He might be smart but Palin is a True American. Obama and Biden can take there fancy degrees and stuff them up their behinds for all i care because i am proud to vote for Mccain and palin in Nov.

-Brandi

Posted by: brandi4palin | October 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

My son was telling me that was a drinking game going around his college campus last night. Every time Palin said Maverick, you had to drink. I'm sure they were all pretty drunk last night if they played. My favorite gaffe was saying that a failed Civil War General was leading the troops in Afganistan. Plenty of SNL fodder!!

Posted by: sparks3 | October 3, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

It is completely irresponsible to argue that Sarah *wink-wink* Palin can or should go anywhere near the White House. Her "folksy" mannerisms and poor enunciation are embarrasing to me as a woman, and should be embarrasing to any and all self-respecting Americans. Who would ever respect us again with her in the White House? She clearly knows NOTHING about foreign OR domestic affairs. She read directly from her notes several times and failed to answer many questions (likely b/c she hadn't been prepped for them). She was smug, arrogant, and WAY OUT OF HER LEAGUE. Haven't we had enough of that in the last eight years?

Furthermore, I am SICK TO DEATH of her not answering questions and/or hiding from the press. The VP is responsible to the American people. If her campaign is any indication of what her tenure as VP would be like, then I have to say, "Thanks, but No Thanks to the bride to nowhere"! If it's too tough for her, she should get out of the race. It only gets harder from here!

Biden won big time last night. He is intelligent, experienced, thoughtful, and articulate. Even more, he DIDN'T HAVE TO RECITE FORCED LINES OR READ FROM HIS NOTES!

Americans deserve better than McSame and Failin' Palin!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

Posted by: Kaye3 | October 3, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Joe Sixpack Speaks

Come on in.

I prefer Joseph, really. It's not a status thing. It's just, you know, once I was walking down the street in Wasilla, it was all "Hey, Joe!" "Hey, Joey!"

Yes, that's right, I don't drop my "g"s. What is that, anyway? There is a "g" at the end of the word, after all.

The thing is, sure I like bowling, poker. But I also like Vivaldi, you know? It's so condescending. It's as if they're trying to draw a caricature, a one-dimensional person for purely political purposes.

(Brushes hair back with his hand. Steam from radiator hisses softly in background)

And did you ever notice how the people who use the term "Joe Sixpack" are never from the lower class of the population themselves?

It's an act, really, on their part, just a political vehicle, a means to an end. If I was working for her, and said just one thing the wrong way, you can be sure that ol' Joe Sixpack would be canned just as fast as a load of Wasilla salmon.

Personally, I'd rather have someone who saw me as an actual person, not a political trope. They're more likely to care about me and my kids' needs, rather than using the false empathy designed to once again lure the middle and lower classes with populist appeals that are then brutally contradicted by their policies.

(Dog barks). Quiet, Bruno!

I mean, it's as if they're hoping that we're stupid, so that we'll fall for the same old empty words, and then they think we'll just fall asleep again once they're in office, while they cater to their buddies again, you know?

It's like they create a symbol of a false humanity, in order to avoid dealing with our actual problems and needs. It's like my foreman told me, who's that guy, what's his name, oh yeah, Dostoyevsky said: "A man who lies to himself, and believes his own lies, becomes unable to recognize truth, either in himself or in anyone else."

Anyway, I've got to get going. You can take the rest of the six-pack with you if you want. I'm giving the stuff up. Fogs the head, makes you vote for these opportunistic guys, you don't hear what they really are saying.

Not this time.

This time, it's going to be different

Posted by: ghuntcustom | October 3, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Palin against Biden. Biden against Palin. Palin against Biden. It has been back and forth on who really won. This should not have been close!

The past Veep debates have been on domestic policy, Sarah Palin's strength, but for some untold reason, this debate was was on Biden' s strength, foreign policy. SO WHO WON? When you have to ask who won on a foreign policy debate, which Biden personally says is his strength, and you have a moderator that Biden knows personally, then there should be no asking. Palin did.

Posted by: Texan2007 | October 3, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Palin uses "buzz" Words. When people use buzz words, they get the attention for short periods, but they fade away because the person does not know any information regarding the buzz words.

Posted by: msreginacomcastnet | October 3, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Really? Biden better? Did you even watch, I mean really, watch the debate? Without your bias glasses on?

Good thing it wasn't Sarah Palin who became all emotional and holding back the tears ... the bias, sexist media would have trashed her!!! As it was, all they can come off with is how "cheerful" she was ... Is that the sexist opposite of "shrill"?

Joe Biden showed himself to be one angry, bully of a VP and all the media is talking about is that he didn't make any serious gaffes! Analyze HIS body language!

One angry guy who is reduced to tears when he is attacking Palin's comment about being a mom, and brings up his own tearful past - like, I said, good thing it wasn't Palin who got teary-eyed or it would be Front Page news from now until the election ... I mean, it was OK for the biased press to trash the 17-year old daughter of Palin, but hands off the crying 60 year old Senator??

It also looked like Biden forgot that he was not the one running for president when he would get all worked up ... How he - Biden - did this and he - Biden - did that to save the world and ... oh, yes, and what's-his-name, Obama, yeah, he'll save the world too.

That's not exactly what Biden thought when he was debating Obama, but I guess landing the VP nomination brought him around to the sexist, bias, pandering racists point of view of the Obama supporters and liberal news media.

Biden is a lackey of the Democratic Party.

And you, Steve Stein, really should go back, take off your sexist, biased colored glasses, and really take a good look at that debacle, I mean debate.

Posted by: MerryJaine | October 3, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

It’s a sad, sad day in journalism when journalist use their networks for platforms to advance what would seem like their indorsement of a particular party’s campaign. Fox News Network has continually and consistantly supported Senator McCain’s campaign through unbalanced interviews. Guest on the network (more particularly Hannity and Colmes) that are pro McCain are interviewed in abundance not the case with Obama supporters, if you are going to report on a political subject as important as this there needs to be balance. Also the many, many crafty comments that try to employ negativity aimed at the Obama campaign border on the line of being crasp and unsavory. I have yet to observe fairness in journalism by the Fox News Network and at this stage of the game don’t anticipate any. Therefore, I am asking viewers of a continued boycott of this network’s inability to provide viewers with fair and unbiased reporting and if you tire of this type of journalism I ask that you join and get on board also, that we may end this type of reporting by Fox News. PLEASE PASS ALONG.

Posted by: dicktracy2001 | October 3, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

This one is hard Sarah so listen closely. 300 billion a year times four is 1.2 trillion to cover a trillion in spending, an over $1000 tax check for the average family of four is better than $319, an energy rebate of $1000 and college tuition tax credit of up to $4000 beats zip, that family does not pay $5000 in taxes to use your medical plan nor will revenues stand without a deduction to business for coverage. Some Americans (not subprime holders) can do math and your plans do not add up. We can give Iraqi's free medical care and services from connected no bid contractors, but not help our own poor. Your 22 million deficit and shorting pensions by over a third is nothing to brag about, nor does the executive have line item veto like you did. McKiernan not McClelland and the surge is based on the Anbar Awakening probably not covered by your handlers, whereas that theater is not ideology but standard of living and safety for the tribes which is paramount.

Posted by: jameschirico | October 3, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine what the newspapers front pages would be like if Palin instead of Biden had made remarks about Lebanon and Hezbolla, Article I and Article II of the constituation, and numerous other exaggeratons and misleading statements?
There are supposed to be more than 10 misleading statements by Biden in comparison to less than that number from Palin. True, Palin did not call him immediately on them. Then she will be spending time on them, instead of speaking out what she had come prepared for.

If the standard in a debate is to say anything with conviction and superlative words without regard to facts, then Biden won.

Advaq

Posted by: sivtaxes | October 3, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

God what a pointless snooze-fest that was. "John, who I love, voted 87 times against school lunches for dogs, thus costing American families forty gazillion billion dollars." Versus, "By golly, if we just all pull together we can make this the best gosh-darn bake sale ever! You betcha!"

Well, looks like the usual polling booth strategy. Which candidate can I live with, barely?

Posted by: mcdooley | October 3, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Heaven help us! Republicans were so thrilled that Palin didn't totally bomb that they didn't seem to notice that she didn't really say anything or give clear direct answers, avoided answering some questions and repeated her past rhetoric over and over. Oh, and by the way, those "cute" little winks are unbelieveable for a Vice President of the United States. I guess the bar is really low if people are thrilled with this.

Posted by: sharronkm | October 3, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people actually argue over, or care about, or even think there IS such a thing as who "won" this typical dog-and-pony show we call a political "debate."

Stop wasting your time voting for political candidates in elections. Do something constructive to add to the world while there still is one.

Does anybody reading actually believe somebody is going to come along and make any serious dent in, let alone solve, any of the major crises brewing at every turn? I mean come on, are you kidding? Global warming, energy depletion, the death of the environment, religious, ethnic and political strife, terrorism, economic meltdown? You think these things can be fixed?

Do something decent for somebody in your own backyard. It's all that's left to us.

Stay home on election day, it's a sick joke.

Posted by: mcdooley | October 4, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I truly believed that Palin had an ear piece during the debate as Bush did during his. If you rewatch the tapes you'll see she stares straight, doesn't move, stops to think about the next word like she didn't hear it right, etc.... and her performance was too far off all of those from previous weeks. We all know she memorized speeches and spewed them out even when they had no relevance to the questions ..why was she allowed to do that? Point is, how can we be certain that she will is not wired or have any devices of use to her up there on the podium next time?

This is what I believe she likely had, just as Bush had:

How can we be sure candidates are being screened properly?

Posted by: melauriec | October 4, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Palin's debating skills of TRICK AND SKIP ANSWERS did nothing to garner increased support for McCain; and in many cases, only further cemented our choice for Obama. Her BS theatrics of 'folksy and cute' [which has carried her through life to this point], along with her ability to MEMORIZE McCAIN TALKING POINTS with the ABILITY TO REGURGITATE THEM left most of our electorate NO DOUBT that she is completely devoid of original thought, wisdom, intellect, or knowledge. She is still the identical person the public saw several days ago being interviewed by the press where she PROVED her IGNORANCE, INCOMPETENCE AND TOTAL LACK OF CURIOSITY AND QUALIFICATION for VP, and most especially POTUS. She would absolutely put our country in ever-more increasingly perilous positions on all fronts, i.e. economy, wars, environmental policy, global reputation, etc.

I can only pray that our electorate is smart enough to see through the "charade and facade" of Palin. We have had enough "FAKES, FRAUDS, AND OPPORTUNISTS" lead our country to the brink of disaster!

I say, "thanks, but no thanks for this bridge to another 'slick dick' [Cheney] VP".

Posted by: ObamasLady | October 4, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It's quite funny to me that the left gets so upset over Palin. She is a breath of fresh air, who is down to earth and for the people, not for the Washington Folks. Although I think Biden did a fair job of not putting his foot in his mouth, she handled herself very well. I watch the Senate quite often and Joe Biden is a hot head from way back. Obama camp has rained him in to keep his temper in check. As for Palin having cheat sheets, she was taking notes, as was Biden, on what the other said to go back and have a chance to answer. Her wink and fresh words only irritate people who know she is doing well so they attack her. For me McCain is the only pick for President and Palin is going to be a great V.P. who will stand up to the politics as usual crowd. There is a change coming, I can hear it in the wind and it will be Country First not rock star Bama!!!!

Posted by: redzink | October 5, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I think it's obvious why McCain picked Palin, he wants that fundamental Christian vote that got Bush in the White House. As far as I'm concerned when someone brags about being a Christian they scare the hell out of me. Your actions should speak louder than your words, and I find fundamentals have tunnel vision.

Posted by: sassparilla | October 5, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse