Dancing in the Streets

I'm on the street -- wild. Armies of young people have stampeded to the White House. Yes, they can. Georgetown looked Pamplona -- and it definitely wasn't the cocktail set. Pennsylvania Avenue is standing room only. Never seen anything like it.

By Kathleen Parker  | November 5, 2008; 1:16 AM ET
Categories:  Parker  | Tags:  Kathleen Parker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Proud of America
Next: What Historic Really Means

Comments

Wonder how they resisted the temptation to crash the gates of 1600, drag Bush out and toss him into the Potomac before he can invade Iran.

It isnt the economy, stupid. Its the repudiation of fear and divisiveness, and cronyism, and incompetence, and torture, and rendition, and the Patriot Act and warrantless wiretapping. Mr. Bush, we are so done with you.

If only John McCain had run an honorable campaign. But he didn't

Posted by: patriot16 | November 5, 2008 3:40 AM | Report abuse

Re-read your comments and am just really appreciating them.

Whenever I would ask college students why they were just sitting back and silently watching the Constitution shredded, their civil rights restricted, their country engage in torture and rendition and all manner of human rights abuses, unjust war, and so much more.... they would just give me a blank look. As a child of the 60's I was not only shocked at them, but even at my own generation who seemed to think their 401K's were more important than their civil liberties or the reputation of their country.

But America came back to her senses. Thank God. I'm glad they're dancing in the streets. I just don't understand why they weren't marching on the streets two or three or four years ago.

Posted by: patriot16 | November 5, 2008 3:46 AM | Report abuse

One wonders what conservative Republicans - sitting indoors, no doubt - think of the Joy they can hear outside. Their dumbfounded amazement has only begun. It's kind of you to write and attempt to cushion the existential blow(s)...

Not only is the administration of Mr.s Bush and Cheney thoroughly repudiated, not only is Senator McCain defeated (and Sarah Palin sent back to the far horizon where she was spawned - and belongs), the true extent of the CHANGE is still sinking in!

YES WE CAN!

Posted by: seankirk | November 5, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

CONGRATULATIONS MR PRESIDENT & COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF

DID BARACK OBAMA RECEIVE A ++++ MANDATE ++++ TONIGHT ???????

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YES AND NO

President-elect Obama CLEARLY changed history tonight by becoming America's first African-American President and arguably that would not have occurred as it did without a mandate.

THE ECONOMY

Be it Joe the Plumber or most other Americans, the vast majority of Americans have lost much from any existing retirement accounts and any real estate or stock investments. Obama received a mandate to correct that, but there was not the degree of cohesion across the board as to HOW that was to be accomplished.

He ABSOLUTELY DID NOT receive a mandate to become a modern American Robin Hood, taking from 'the rich' [?] to give to the poor. He DID NOT receive a mandate to continue, or begin anew, wasteful public spending programs.

Did Obama receive a mandate to return jobs to America? YES ++++ BUT ++++ at what wages and where does this money come from? Computer support positions went to India, not because America does not have the expertise, but because when Internet access providers TRIPLE your monthly fees, so they can PAY American workers, they will loose clients BIG TIME. THE DEVIL'S IN THE DETAILS, IT SEEMS.

THE WAR IN IRAQ

So far, America has paid for the Democracy but has yet to receive any dividend from that major investment. So maybe it indirectly was about the cost of energy and America needs to see a return on that investment SOMEHOW.

THE WAR ON TERROR

A mandate was clearly given by the American people to address this issue ASAP, wherever it arises. The obvious issue is Iran, or more precisely stated, the radical Islamic leadership within Iran. If this is not affected peacefully and VERY SOON, Israel will address it, of necessity.

THE MARKETS

The markets need to address the mortgage crisis EFFECTIVELY and since they cannot do that themselves, further efforts to stabilize them are mandated and yes, that was a mandate.

HEALTH CARE

YES a mandate, but questionable funding for same.

GUIDANCE FROM MCCAIN ON MILITARY MATTERS AS WAS OFFERED IN THE CONCESSION SPEECH.

Obama would be wise to confidentially, even secretly, listen up well here.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | November 5, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: patriot16 | November 5, 2008 3:46 AM

I've wondered this myself...but done is done.
Better late than never!

Posted by: owl1 | November 5, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: patriot16 | November 5, 2008 3:46 AM

Because marching and protesting doesn't do a thing--as if Bush would listen or care! Registering voters, talking to each other, debating, changing minds, volunteering, voting: that's what makes a difference. This election is our "march"!

Posted by: schala1 | November 5, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

People all over the world danced and cheered in the streets at the news of Obama's victory. And yes, this American joined in with hundreds in Montreal last night, dancing for joy.

It was a sight to behold and a time I though I would never live to see. There was a strange lightness in my soul this morning...my grandmother said it is HOPE.

We now need to settle down the serious work at hand of putting our Constitution and our country back together.

Posted by: skramsv | November 5, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Patriot16 and schala1: There were protests, marches, arrests...the media just did not think they were worthy to cover. Couple that with fear of being arrested, fired from your job, or being branded a terrorist you would be hard pressed to find huge numbers of willing to speak out or speak up. BushCO also did a fantastic job (not) in keeping people in the dark about their rights.

Posted by: skramsv | November 5, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

First I'd like to congradulate our new PRESIDENT!!! On being who he is and never letting anyone change his character or personality. I believe his grandmother did the world a great favor by rearing such a quality being ( I wish she had written a book explaining her formula ) We have much to do to correct years of stupidity ( and I'm not just talking about the last eight either )and dishonesty from the highest branch of our government. The republican party has destroyed our reputation the world over ( but as I tried to explain to people whenever I traveled, the government is not the people of america, we are decent and loving people for the most part.)and now we will rebuild it just give us the chance.
Lastly I truely believe that John McCain is a decent man that loves his country I just sorry we did'nt get to see that person for two years ( pulled down by the retards and racist elements of the party )but when you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas! Let's go America! Yes we can!!!

Posted by: addie_luv | November 5, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

NOW GET BEHIND AN EFFORT TO HAVE HILLARY APPOINTED SECTY OF STATE! DEFINITELY QUALIFIED AND CAPABLE!

Posted by: olerb1 | November 5, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse