Michael 'Snoop Dogg' Steele

You know, the more I hear Republican National Committee Chairman Michael "That's How We Roll" Steele pepper his pronouncements with hip-hop parlance, the more I'm reminded of those ill-fated commercials for Chrysler starring the unlikely duo of former Chrysler chairman Lee Iacocca and rapper Snoop Dogg. It was part of the car company's strategy to reach out to potential urban customers. And look how well that worked out.

Here's Steele yesterday on "Morning Joe," with a metaphor about how northeastern Republicans wear their hats backwards "because that's how we roll."

Now, take a look at the Iacocca-Dogg commercial (after the jump).

Does anyone else find the symbolism a little too rich? Exchange Snoop for Steele and Iacocca for a Republican Party that doesn't understand what the heck the man driving the RNC is saying -- or doing.

I give Steele mad props for trying to shake up the Grand Old Party with a little hip-hop realness, but he has to decide whether he wants to be the head of the RNC or the president of Def Jam Records. He needs to remember that a sizable chunk of the party distrusts him, to the point where the old guard has been trying to strip him of financial authority. His party is losing seats (see NY-20) and losing high-profile members (see Sen. Arlen Specter, D-Pa.). And it's suffering an identity crisis that has some of its most prominent members conducting town halls to rebrand the party.

If Steele wants to be a part of the solution to the GOP's problems, he needs to spend less time coming up with gangsta turns of phrase and more time coming up with plans to transform the party from a regional organization filled with conservative reactionaries into a big-tent national party that is a credible counterbalance to President Obama and the Democrats.

By Jonathan Capehart  | May 1, 2009; 11:56 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Hoax' Against Hate Crimes Bill
Next: Jack Kemp, RIP

Comments

I have no problem with anyone using slang. However, when representatives of serious political organizations start using slang, it just sounds unprofessional. There is a time and place for slang. Unfortunately for Steele, politics requires a more professional tone.

Posted by: tm28 | May 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Michael Steele will receive a lot of hatred directed his way because he has dared to leave the liberal plantation.

Don't expect him to be afraid, however.

Posted by: NeverLeft | May 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

So, I started listening to the interview and at about 2:56 I heard Michael Steele say "my bad." That was about as bad as it got through the rest of the interview. Heaven forbid Mr. Capehart should focus on the quality of Steele's ideas and not the means of delivery. But I suppose saying "my bad" is an automatic qualifier for the "Sippin' on Gin and Juice Klub" and a disqualifier from any type of substantive debate.

Or to be childish, perhaps Capehart is envious that another black man (outside his ideology of course) can capture more attention on the national stage than he can.

Posted by: PitchMan99 | May 1, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Why bother talking about Steele at all? At the root, he's fallen right into of roll of Uncle Tom.

"Was I uppity, Mr. Rush, sah? Please don't beat me, Massa!"

Posted by: st50taw | May 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I just think Michael is "talking" to the younger set of our country. As a lifetime, dyed-in-the-wool Democrat, I like listening to him, his ideas sound feasible and they steer away from the good-old boy republican stereotype. If the Republicans can generate some energy, put some younger candidates out there with new ideas, I won't have one single problem voting for them. I'm tired of the spend now, crisis mongering Democrats that are in office now. Obama didn't have my vote in 2008 and he won't have it in 2012.

Posted by: KYGrannieD | May 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Neverleft: When was Steele ever on the "liberal plantation"? He's been a Republican his entire public life.

Posted by: mypitts2 | May 1, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Once again, well said Mr. Capehart

Steele has been stunningly ineffective as RNC head, and his quasi hip-hop antics have been sent up hilariously in the Candorville comic. But to be fair to him, if he's not allowed to criticize Rush Limbaugh then there isn't much he can do to save the party.

At some level, the GOP knows that it can't continue in the direction it's been going and survive. But on another level (that of action) it can't seem to stop itself. Witness the "celebrations" by various GOP talking-heads in reaction to Specter's departure. A party that's lost so much so fast can't afford to wallow in delusion, but that's exactly what's happening.

Posted by: bigbrother1 | May 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Mike's resume is filled to the brim with poor career choices, business failures, and election losses.

Hey, that makes him a great public face for the GOP!

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | May 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Michael Steele is more like Stup-Dog for being stupid enough to be used by the Republican Party. How foolish could Steele possibly look.

The Repukes went and the dumbest black man they could find, and are holding him up to disparage the first black President.

I have no respect for Steele, and clearly Steele has no pride in himself either.

Steele is a token who sold out.

Posted by: lindalovejones | May 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say Steele is rebuilding the GOP, since it still hasn't finished falling apart, but he's probably the ONLY national Republican who isn't actively alienating the vast majority of voters at the moment.

You can chuckle at Steele's silly phrases, and I certainly wouldn't want him running anything, but he isn't grossly obnoxious or hateful, and that's enough to put him way ahead of the GOP pack.

Posted by: kevrobb | May 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall him speaking this way (slang, hip-hoppish, whatever) when running for Maryland office. I agree with tm28, 'it just sounds unprofessional'. And what's really annoying, is how unauthentic he sound/appears when he does it. It's embarrassing. I would have more respect for him if he would just be himself.

Posted by: former-dc-resident | May 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Steele's efforts to engage the urban black community with hip-hop slang is right up there is George H. W. Bush eating fried pork rinds to convince voters he was a "real" country Texan.

No one can make himself more ridiculous than a well-heeled Republican male trying to be "with it" -- no matter what the "it" happens to be.

Posted by: kjohnson3 | May 1, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"I'll vote for the candidate that works for me, not take my money and give it away.

Posted by: KYGrannieD | May 1, 2009 1:01 PM"
--------
So I guess you weren't a fan of Ronald Reagan, GH Bush or GW Bush either by your logic.

Posted by: JRM2 | May 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Steele's problem is coming from him it sounds disingenuous, kind of like when I was a child and my Father used to say "groovey".

Posted by: JRM2 | May 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The pivotal referendum is the Virginia 2009 Governor's race. It appears that "red" state Virginia is trending the other way, back to its normal "blue" vote.

I am quite happy to leave the handouts, the quid pro quo voting blocks/special interests (blacks, Hispanics, potentially illegal immigrants, unions, academia,), the "I'll buy any vote at any time with other people's tax money philosphy" to the Democrats.

Spike Lee still does not understand why Republicans do not change their focus to Power Acquisition from a party of consistent policy that does not change with the wind.

I think Jonathan Capehart does not understand that either.

Posted by: hz9604 | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hz9604 | May 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Steelle is rush limbaugh spineless, embarrassing and just plain outright silly

Posted by: maat523 | May 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What's he gonna do next, bust a move and start breakdancing?

Posted by: JRM2 | May 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

hz9604 wrote:

"I'll stick with the small government, fiscally responsible, level playing field, free market, American Dream party-- the Republicans."
------------------------
My request then is this:

Please to explain No Child Left Behind (read the 1996 GOP Party platform on the Department of Education), Terry Schiavo, the prescription drug plan and Nation Building.

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan..My friend...I couldn't disagree with your opinion more and I can't let you slide on this or any other topic I feel you to be soooooo myopic .....

I didn't hear you chime in when our Prez to be was doing a soft shoe with Ellen or pressing his knuckles against those of Mrs 1st ... if I remember correctly select members of the enchanted bevy were thrilled with the "notion"...

I agree the GOP should encourage new thoughts and welcome all that want entry ..... However, the party should stand fast upon its core values ...Smaller Government..... Lower Taxes ... Individual Freedoms........That being said, the vote of the Senator from Pennsylvania will be missed..but some how I doubt the Left will be having the last laugh on that deal...

Republicans will attract ,educate and encourage new members of every age and lifestyle.... who will cast their votes based on "Principles before Personalities" ...

True Its going to be a bumpy road ahead for the GOP .... but it wont be down a narrow dead end bi-way traveling through Dixie.... So beware Mr Capehart.... They're coming ... and they're coming soon....

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Spartann wrote:

"Smaller Government... Individual Freedoms".
-----------------
When are y'all gonna come out and say that George Bush ruined the GOP?

Smaller Government? Tell me about No Child Left Behind (BTW, have you ever read the 1996 GOP Party Platform about the DOE?)

Individual Freedoms? Tell me about Terry Schiavo...

Stop your rants and figure out the way to improve the party.

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

As hamptontonyc has pointed out, some Republicans like Spartann and hz9604 seem to miss the fact that the current GOP cares nothing at all for "Smaller Government..... Lower Taxes ... Individual Freedoms."

With the current GOP, the only people who got lower taxes were the extremely wealthy. Government size ballooned at its fastest rate ever. Government intrusion into the lives of individuals went to unheard of, and unconstitutional, extremes.

Certainly the GOP counts on the willful ignorance of people like Spartann for its survival these days. But if Spartann and hz9604 aren't simply lying about their own values, eventually they'll figure out that their party does not have the values they thought it did.

Posted by: bigbrother1 | May 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey hamptontonyc...what do you do...lerk in the shadows laying in wait ...and then shoot from the hip...???? I said core values ...I made no mention of any Bill nor platform , 1966 or otherwise.... Platforms change from year to year...unlike , Im sure, your disdain for another's view point....

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

To spartann:

Thanks for engaging...

The platform I referenced was 1996 not 1966 and my point was that how could a party change its core values so drastically in 4 years.

My question then is this:

Should the GOP party platform in 2012 reflect the platform of 1996 or the policies of George Bush?

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Big Brother ...or should I call you Bitter Betty party of ONE....Its mouths like yourself that cant read the printed word ..I said encourage new thoughts and welcome new members...if you cant see that as a desire to achieve healthy growth , well then Im glad I dont dine at your table...cause the fromage you're serving is not palatable......

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

spartann wrote:

"cause the fromage you're serving is not palatable......"
---------------------
Did you actually use a French word?

That sure would have been unpalatable a couple of years ago...

Glad to see you coming over to our side!

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"America needs at least two parties to function properly. The GOP, by contracting into a limited, Southern-fundamentalist party, is failing to play its part. I think that if it loses more congressional seats in 2010, we're looking at either a total collapse of the party or a total revolution within it. Hard to say which is more likely at this point."
*******

Posted by: dummypants | May 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hamptontonyc...thanx for laying out the welcome mat...To answer your question , I lean more in favor of 1996

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

dummypants wrote:

"im not sure any part could have been in worse condition than the democrats in 2004 after two straight defeats at the hands of W."
---------------
Valid point except for one thing.

While the Dems pretty much stayed with their philosophy, George Bush and his lemmings strayed from everything that has historically been the GOP philosophy...

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Are this Steele and state senate Republican Steele of Indiana related.

The Indiana Steele is the champion of blocking rules for controlling puppy mills. Indiana's Steele is a true Bush Republican. Regulation be darned! Let the greedy and cruel have it their way!

Posted by: wj_phillips | May 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

thx, spartann...

the fromage dig was just tongue in cheek

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

yoooooooo Betty....leave it to you to base your retort on a colorful word chosen to ONLY enhance My response ....I wonder , is your scope limited or will you also be able to isolate and comment on other insignificant things I may type in Spanish and Greek ????

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hamptontonyc.....am I to assume you found My response to your last question agreeable ???

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

My brother worked with Steele at a law firm and said he is very intelligent. I told my brother he sounds stupid. I wouldn't consider joining anything where a person does not the way they normally would. That's like an older person trying to speak teenage lingo and doesn't know the right terminology - you end up sounding stupid and that's what is happening to Steele.

Steele needs to be himself. They need more than "urban" people to join their party.

Posted by: rlj1 | May 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"Correction: Virginia's Governor race is trending back to "red" from its "blue" vote in the 2008 Presidential race."

Correction: While the Democrats have three legitimate candidates vying for the party's nomination, there are no meaningful trends in the Virginia Governor's race.

And what's up with Republicans so interested in polls? I thought the only poll that mattered was the one in November. Funny how that tune changes when a party is desperate and floundering and grasping at straws.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | May 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

to spartann:

very much so...

Posted by: hamptontonyc | May 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

With all the "cleansing", or shrinking going on in the GOP, I can't imagine that the minority hardcore right that's left can look at a guy like Steele and take him seriously. If he were a democrat in the same position, I as a democrat couldn't take him seriously. But for him to be playing the "homey" role (in a GOP hat), really makes him look stupid and used. It's embarrasing to watch regardless of one's party.

Posted by: jfern03 | May 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Michael Steele is a complete NONENTITY to everyday Black folk and many Democrats. It really doesn't matter WHAT he says, or, how he says it...it's still irrelevant, as is he.

I would shout "Sellout!," but we've all heard that soooo much.

LOL

Posted by: ntlekt | May 1, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

...HA HA...We are all falling for the Michael Steele ...STRATEGY?

Pathetic and embarrasing. That best sums it up.

Posted by: jfern03 | May 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Everytime Michael Steele opens his mouth, I start checking around my house for hidden cameras because I'm convinced I'm being "Punked". He's the corny black dude playing the part of the corny white dude who thinks he's acting "black". It doesn't make me angry as much as it sadens me. However, it does make me angry that the media doesn't call him on it.

Posted by: NMP1 | May 1, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 3:02 PM

That's what you wrote, Spartann. I pointed out that what you call the "core values" no longer exist in the GOP.

If you want to act childish, that's your business. But if you want to debate, get some facts together and make a point.

Posted by: bigbrother1 | May 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Yo, your article is the shyt, fresh, Mr. Capehart!” Just joking Sir. I left the “hood” 31 years ago. So my hip-hop bilingualism is a tad bit rusty. So I’ll just opine – my kudos! Your astute observation of the RNC's new "colorful" face and behavior is dead on! I love how you juxtaposed the two comical, if not bafoonist, efforts of Chrysler and the RNC to target “the hipper” segments of America.

To Mr. Steele, I concur with Mr. Capehart. I admire your old-school efforts to revive your mastery of "urbandictionary.com". But trust me, as an "old-school-brotha", one who couldn't articulate hip-hop/rap even if I took a refresher-linguistics-field-trip back to my hardcore urban roots (Boston's Mission Hill Projects), where I use to "roll" as a juvenile-gang-member, I'm just not "feeling you my Republican brotha"! But I am feeling President Barack Obama -- another brotha. Now why is that?

Because he's a Democrat? Well, that is 1% of it. But the 99% part, he's a charismatic, "hella" smart, oratory/rhetoric savvy, multicultural-valued, politically astute, "no-joke" politician -- emphasis on, NO-JOKE. So if you the head of the RNC, Mr. Steele, want to stop being perceived (or mis-perceived) by some (if not many – in the mainstream and hood) as a TOKEN-JOKE, then please SIR be YOURSELF.

I have no doubts you're a brilliant, savvy, organizational leader -- none! You didn't get to where you’re at if such were not factual. You know how to transform the RNC into a credible, reputable, progressive (yes I did use that "vanguard" word), inclusive, political party. But using bafoonist urban marketing tactics won’t do it. Using old-school GOP tactics, such as always defining anyone and everything non-republican as "thee other" won’t work. “Thee Other” is an “old-school” too often code-word strategy, tactic, ideology, and principle rooted in ISMs and EXCLUSION. This paradigm no longer works. Moreover, I understand the old-boys-network finds it challenging to adjust. It shows in all the GOP speaks nowadays. But you, Mr. Steel, are the HNIC, the head of the RNC. So LEAD!

Instead of still trying to define the GOP to be the OPPOSITE of the DEMOCRATS, the OPPOSITE of President Obama, how about striving to be BETTER – develop, promote, and articulate “fresh” forward-looking ideas, principles, and solutions. How about the GOP striving to identify with and relate to a more inclusive and especially colorful and diverse majority of 307 million Americans – including LGBT and younger adult citizens.

Now wouldn't that be a "cool" new-school achievement Mr. Steele. Otherwise, I agree, SNL or Comedy Def Jams should hire you – because thus far the GOP has zero-chance of getting my future vote.

Posted by: GroupThink | May 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Betty Bro....you say get My facts together ,,,,trust Me dude , Im ready for you...so come on ...lets get started ....

Now tell Me , at what point did you buy in to what ever the beltway iconoclasts site as being the Gospel ?? For you to blanketly state the GOP is floundering out at sea proves you habitually trust bias reportage...My friend that only makes for Grand Theatre....

For the most part, when commenting on the GOP , I was reflecting on past experiences and years of observation ....I also acknowledged growth and inclusion would be paramount in the future .....

I reject an alternative notion ..... as with anything , its down in the trenches where the real change will take place ...and for anyone to deny that happening in the near future is way off base...

Posted by: Spartann | May 1, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Obama didn't need to act like the punchline to some cheesy sitcom on the WB to get elected President so why does Michael Steele have to be the "ghetto" RNC Chairman?

Seriously if I were a black person I'd be pretty pissed the Republicans apparently think this is what the black voter wants.

Posted by: Overdenkotten | May 1, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I don't see the similarity at all. I thought Steele was extremely effective. He is much more believable than the GOP elected officials who still see a viable coalition with the rabid religious right.

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 1, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

The look on Buchanan's face is priceless as Michael Steele starts with his 'hat analogy'. Even Mika can't help but roll her eyes at the ridiculousness of it all. And these are Michael's peeps, his friends from the big tent and even they are incredulous.

Posted by: WonderfulWorld | May 1, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"Was I uppity, Mr. Rush, sah? Please don't beat me, Massa!"

Posted by: st50taw | May 1, 2009 12:55 PM

------------
OMG! Uncle Rush's Cabin!

YO, ta kin ma for tee, check N ma shorte',
uh huh, uh huh

YEA, YEA

Signed
Chuck D

Posted by: kurtbw | May 1, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Overdenkotten | May 1, 2009 5:26 PM

--------
Exactly. Though I may poke fun, it is serious enough for Mr. Steele to look in the mirror and ask. "Who am I kidding?" "Obama?" "The far Right?" "The Center?" Nada, just yourself. To say stereotypes aren't with him, then why act line one?

Change? Hmmm.

Posted by: kurtbw | May 1, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steele is trying to be cool thinking that it will appeal to a younger crowd I guess. Unfortunately what it sounds like is an older person playing at being young. It is phony and unprofessional. His use of slang is not really impressing anyone and makes him look foolish. I doubt seriously if the younger crowd is even listening to him and the crowd he needs to impress are probably turned off.

Posted by: catmomtx | May 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I find Michael Steele a bit slimy, but saying that he peppered his talk with hip-hop parlance is just wrong, and frankly, offensive to hip-hop.

Capehart, you sound out of touch.

Posted by: girish_joshi | May 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh please Mr. Capehart, get a real issue. So many good, productive people out of work and this is how you justify yourself? Sad. Just Sad.

Posted by: allknowingguy | May 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

how would you know, Mr. Right Wing Bow tie?

You never lived in the projects!
You ain't no drug dealer!

Posted by: grambuster | May 1, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure the Lee/Dogg ads were all that unsuccessful. My sister in Detroit, a recent Chrysler non-employee says that she hasn't seen a White person driving a Magnum, Charger or 300 in years and in my area of LA, big Chryslers with tinted windows are the cars of choice for successful gang-bangers, replacing Escalades.

Posted by: tinandy | May 2, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Here's Michael Steele trying to rap -- with unwitting help from Gene Weingarten, no less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXAX59WWCQ

Posted by: roblimo | May 2, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

They just don't get it. America is laughing at the republican party. Rush Limbaugh is yelling "Save the pirates!" Dick Cheney is telling anyone who listens that "Torture works." Rupert Murdoch's sycophants at Fox News will say anything to maintain ratings from the Kooky Konservative Kristian base.

The republican's current "Do You Feel Safer?" campaign is a joke. With no logical solutions to any problems we face, the republican leadership has only the fear card left in its bag of tricks. They can't understand that the American voter has already answered: Yes, we do feel safer with republicans out of power and we don't want you in power anytime soon.

Now the RNC chairman is creating guffaws over his hip-hopping and ethnic urban slang. What is he thinking? That he's winning over young black voters by merely sounding like them? Republicans certainly don't believe in providing educational and economic assistance to urban black Americans, young or not.

It's pathetic and sad: either Steele doesn't realize he's the party's token black or he does realize it and doesn't care.

Can anyone explain how republicans expect to win independents in 2010? 2012? 2016?

DAStubbs,
Minneapolis

Posted by: dastubbs | May 2, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think the GOP lost a seat in NY-20. In fact they fell just 400 votes short (yet another recount that went the Dems way-- fancy that George Soros) of taking a seat occupied by a Democrat who replaced Hillary."

Posted by: hz9604 | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM

==========================

You should get used to the trend: democrats winning elections by small margins in traditional republican races.

Which is the diagnosis of the problem: moderate republicans voting democrat because the republican party is increasingly out of touch with the electorate.

So far I haven't heard a single explanation from any republican how they believe shrinking the party is going to win them votes. I just don't get it. Nor, I suspect, do moderate republicans and independents.

DAStubbs,
Minneapolis

Posted by: dastubbs | May 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Mr Steele is doing what can be done. He's trying to tell America, you don't have to be a gun licking Luddite to belong to the Republican party. Unfortunately for his effort, all the gun licking Luddites disagree, you in fact have to be one of them to belong to "their" political party.
Mr Stubs is correct. The process we're watching here, the purification of the Republican party to it's diamond hard base will eventually result in implosion. In the mean time we'll have to deal with this fringe element as it collects hundreds of millions from the "usual suspects" in campaign contributions. I would agree it's going to rocky, my worry is that at some point, when electoral power is no longer even a fevered dream, it will turn violent.
Lot of crazies on that team, be advised.

Posted by: dijetlo | May 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hz9604 | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM
=======================================

That is exactly the problem with the Republican party today, they are not reality based, please tell me ONE legislative Republican party passed that helped accomplish those goals, just one, please

For my entire adult life of 30 years I've heard Republicans say that abortion is murder. Yet they've controlled every branch of the government multiple times and done nothing to change this. Why would anyone that's pro-life vote for them again? As with all the other so called "Principles" they have

a true conservative would stop voting for them as to send a message "stop feeding me bulls*** if you want to get elected." And judging from the numbers, I think that's what most reality-based conservatives have done.

I don't like half of the things the Democrats are doing, but at least people know what they are getting up-front

Bring back true conservatism please, who do you think your "hip-hop" is going to fool?

Posted by: Quaky | May 3, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hz9604 | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM
=======================================

Posted by: Quaky | May 3, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"some of its most prominent members conducting town halls to rebrand the party."

McCain, Jeb Bush (another neo-con), Jindal and Romney are the most prominent members of the party???

I would think Michael Steele would be the face of any attempt to re-brand the party.

Why wasn't Gov Palin included in the starting line-up, she is still the star attraction!!

When the party let Grover Norquist and the club for growth screen and select the party chair there was only one way for this to play out.

Posted by: knjincvc | May 4, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Keyes is best known for his performance during the 2000 Republican presidential debates, when he was accredited by many media outlets as being the clear winner during a series of debates with George W. Bush and John McCain.

“It’s obvious that they will stop at nothing,” Keyes told attendees of a reception in Fort Wayne, adding, “We may wake up one day and there’s a series of terrorist attacks, the economy is paralysed….martial law will be declared everywhere in the United States and it won’t end until the crisis ends.”

Keyes said that Americans should be thankful if they even see another election in 2012, stating, “If we don’t wake up and work to see that it happens, we will not see another election.”

“The minute they think they can get away with it, they will end this system of government and that is their intention,” added Keyes, noting that everyone acting as if the time we are in was just “business as usual” reminds him of the attitude of politicians in the Weimar Republic when Hitler was rising to power or eastern Europe when the Communists were taking over after the second world war.

Keyes said that because the majority of people are decent-minded, they believe others will play by the rules when this simply isn’t the case, warning that this attitude will allow evil to take over before we can do anything about it.

“It is so clear hat we have now put a faction in place - they are not playing by the rules and they don’t intend to play by the rules - if they were playing by the rules they wouldn’t have tried to identify their opposition as criminals,” added Keyes, making reference to the recent controversy surrounding the release of the MIAC and Homeland Security reports, which implied that Americans who exercise and are knowledgeable about their constitutional rights are a threat to law enforcement and potential domestic terrorists.

Keyes said that the only solution was from the bottom up because our leaders “are so gutless that they won’t even ask that the Constitution be enforced for clear, plain, absolutely unequivocal requirements,” and respond meekly with “their lips shut and their hearts terrorized.”

Keyes also warned of Obama’s agenda to create a civilian security force and said it was part of the ultimate agenda to disarm American citizens and create a police state.

Keyes has been a vocal critic of Obama, warning that he is a radical Communist who is determined to destroy America, and that if his agenda is not stopped then the country as we know it will cease to exist.

Posted by: rtfanning | May 4, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rtfanning | May 4, 2009 4:17 PM
"Former presidential candidate Alan Keyes has given perhaps his most dire warning yet, saying that the Obama administration is preparing to stage terror attacks, declare martial law and cancel the 2012 elections, which is why they are demonizing their political enemies as criminals and terrorists."

WOW Keyes is nuttier than when I last heard him speak.

Posted by: The-Historian | May 4, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

The GOP has been in the wilderness only a few dozen days. Watching them reminds me of soon-to-be-dead, flappin' around fish. They are shocked to be out of power and assume that voters will soon come to their senses and put them back in power. As soon as Dick Cheney learns to speak Ebonics, to cook and eat down home foods, to wear his pants low, and to handle a gun gangsta-style, maybe Republicans will have a chance to attract the "urban" vote. Still there is the small problem that Republicans consider colored folks to be socially unacceptable. Hard to ask for and get a vote from someone whom you find repulsive. The former Lt. Gov. of Maryland no doubt is the head of the Republican National Committee because Republicans have exhausted their supply of pro-war hard hats and born-again social conservatives. Railing against draft evaders, hippies, homosexuals, flag burners, abortionists, tax-and-spend Liberals, and Godless Communists has run its course. Time now to engage urban Negroes. Yeah. That oughta work.

Posted by: BlueTwo1 | May 5, 2009 4:20 AM | Report abuse

I rock my RNC hat all ways fo’ rizzle,
Representin’ 20 percent is a full-time bizzle.
All my ballin’ peeps cryin’ for some tax re-lizzle
To put some new rims on they Caddy Escalizzle.
Who’s got the fo’ one-one for the realest Americans to-dizzle?
Its da’ Gee-Oh-Pizzle, fo’ shizzle my nizzle.

GOP Fo’ life. Vote or die.

Posted by: trident420 | May 8, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse