With Palin, Keep Your Eye on That Audible

Sarah Palin’s speech on Friday announcing her resignation as governor of Alaska will go down as historic: truly, it was one of the zaniest moments in American political history. It made Richard Nixon’s famous “this is my last press conference” episode in 1962 look coherent, statesmanlike and carefully considered.

That’s why there cannot be any real debate over whether her strange and meandering statement hurt her: of course it did. The only open question is whether her means of exit closed off her political future entirely. I’m inclined to think that it’s a career ender, despite the insistence of so many that you never say never in politics. Yes, Nixon did come back after that last press conference of his. But Nixon had political gifts that Palin doesn’t.

I understand that the standard rules of journalism require an on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand treatment of this event by way of finding some potential silver lining in all this for Palin. But I honestly believe there is no on-the-other-hand here. Her perfomance was -- to use a word my friend David Brooks taught me -- shambolic.

If there was one thing you could always give Palin credit for, it was her knowledge of and passion for sports. That’s why it’s worth paying attention to her badly fractured and impossibly mixed sports metaphors. When her sports references went astray, you really knew something was wrong.

Consider this passage:

A good point guard drives through a full court press, protecting the ball, keeping her eye on the basket... and she knows exactly when to pass the ball so that the team can WIN. And I'm doing that -- keeping our eye on the ball that represents sound priorities -- smaller government, energy independence, national security, freedom! And I know when it's time to pass the ball -- for victory.

Now wait a minute: First, she tells us that a good point guard keeps her eye on the basket -- and one sentence later, she’s telling us it’s the ball she’s watching. Maybe that passage explains her difficulties perfectly.

And she wasn’t done with the sports metaphors. There was also this:

We need those who will respect our Constitution where government's supposed to serve from the bottom up, not move toward this top down big government take-over... but rather, will be protectors of individual rights -- who also have enough common sense to acknowledge when conditions have drastically changed and are willing to call an audible and pass the ball when it's time so the team can win! And that is what I'm doing!

I’m not sure how to parse that mouthful, but we have clearly moved out of the world of basketball and into football. I keep re-reading those words and have to conclude that Palin called an audible here that no one can understand.

Let me confess that I was a Palin skeptic from day one, so I wasn’t shocked by her display on Friday. I continue to be surprised, however, by those who insist that she has a real chance of becoming president. Neither a buzzer beater nor a Hail Mary pass will make that happen -- especially after Friday.

By E.J. Dionne  | July 5, 2009; 12:24 PM ET
Categories:  Dionne  | Tags:  E.J. Dionne
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Newspapers Exposed: Publications to Sell Pieces of Themselves
Next: Barry the 'Betrayed'

Comments

Sarah Palin's fans are always asking why people react to her so vehemently. They assume it's because she scares her opponents. In fact, only one Republican in recent years had enough personal electability to scare Democrats: John McCain.

I can't speak for others, but the reason why I detest Palin is this: Here is a woman who actually thought that Africa was a country. Yet she dares pontificate on questions of war and peace (invariably on the side of war). The people who die mean no more to her than the countries do. It's just empty, poorly-memorized soundbites.

To please who? Palin speaks for that large section of the GOP base who are constantly saying things like "Nuke Mecca".

I honestly believe a Palin presidency would end with WW3. I would far sooner have a third Bush term than let her within a mile of the White House. Bush is several cuts above Palin, both in education and in ethics.

That's why I react badly to Sarah Palin, and why I bother writing comments about this sorry, vapid woman. Fortunately, an overwhelming majority of Americans agree with me.

Posted by: Bud0 | July 5, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Palin's decision to resign is not a brilliant move or an unconventional move or even an unexpected move. She's resigning so she can devote full time to being a celebrity and raking in the money and camera time she'll get as a celebrity, something she could never do stuck in Alaska worrying about what to do with bridge to nowhere money or building oil pipelines. As proof, we'll soon see Palin announcing that she's moving to the lower 48. After all, that's where the money and the cameras are.

Posted by: adifferentpointofview | July 5, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

As if calling an "audible" in a basketball game and saying Africa is a country isn't enough for other than right-wing Huckabees to question this lady's intelligence, she talks, bold faced, about "individual rights" from a Party that want's to re-do the Constitution with their twisted, cherry-picked version of scriptures, and from the Party that allowed Lord Cheney to trample on the Fourth Amendment while they looked the other way. One sick puppy.

Posted by: coloradodog | July 5, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

If you liked Dionne's link to the "Urban Dictionary" for a definition of "call an audible," you'll love their definition of a "Huckabee"

Here's mine:
Huckabee (huck•-a-be) n.
1. One who claims to be “Christian” but is politically and/or religiously closed minded, hateful and intolerant.
2. One who cherry-picks Bible scripture to exploit voter wedge issues like abortion and homosexuality.
3. American seditionist whose intent is to change the Constitution to a theocracy.
4. See also Fox News O’Reilly Catholic.

Posted by: coloradodog | July 5, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coloradodog | July 5, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

As an Alaska and one who lives just outside of Wasilla. One who knows that I can't see Russia from my back door, my only comment is: "Oh Happy Day" repeated over and over and over and again. Lower 48 she's all yours.

Posted by: minion1 | July 5, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry that's Alaskan. . . My joy is just too much.

Posted by: minion1 | July 5, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone take Palin seriously? From her college-hopping to her job-hopping, being mayor of Wasilla is the only occupation that she has held for more than a very short time, apparently. I think she has a pathological need for attention and power, which is why she "runs" for things, from beauty pageants to politics. But when she arrives at her destination, it turns out it isn't so much fun, after all. I think she finally hit a ceiling that exposed her weaknesses, as well as her utter ignorance of the issues that matter. Was concern for the people of Alaska REALLY her reason for this retreat? You betcha! And please invest in our bridge!

Posted by: twin1958 | July 5, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Didn't she call herself a "bulldog" during the campaign? Too funny, in a Friday afternoon news dump on the July 4th holiday, she comes out with the most incoherent, rambling load of BS ever seen (or at least, ever seen since the Republican convention last year).

She's lying, as usual. There's a scandal coming. You betcha.

Posted by: losthorizon10 | July 6, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Sanford makes a free association spiel about pajamas, Jurassic Park and $60 hiking chaperones.

Yet, he seems balanced compared to Sister Sarah's delusional dead fish rant.

Boy, what does this say about the GOP that members of the road show version of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" were supposed to be their best and brightest?

It looks like they were right when McPain-Palin were dubbed the Straight Jacket Express.

Posted by: filmex | July 6, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Palin has been on the national scene for what, 10 months? Before then she was a little-known governor who had served less than two years.

Instead of fulfilling her commitment to the people of Alaska, she has quit on them. Instead of using her nomination as VP last fall as a springboard into becoming a more formidable political figure, she is resigning to become a pop cultural celebrity.

She essentially is a blank slate on which the rightwing is trying to write its future. Conservatives will continue to create her narrative in ways that make her the sort of candidate they need her to be. "She's persecuted by the media and by liberals who fear her!" and so forth.

Initially I thought that she quit because she knew she'd soon be facing an indictment, but I don't think that's the case. She's not that rational.

Instead, I think she resigned because she honestly thinks that after 30 months in office, she's done all she can for the people of Alaska, that she's kept all her promises, and now she's off to the Lower 48 to do what she can to save America. Every shred of criticism she receives--whether from Democrats, the media, or fellow Republicans--will serve as proof to her and her followers that she is on the right track. She will never, ever engage in a fit of wisdom or self evaluation.

She is right, her followers think she is right, and that is enough.

Posted by: castanea | July 6, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Apparently there are still people who think S.P. would make a good president. We really must do something about education in this country.

Posted by: Alexis3 | July 6, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Her and Yogi Bera.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | July 6, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

When the going gets tough, the not-so-tough get going.

A commitment is a commitment, not always easy or convenient, but nonetheless a reflection of character, loyalty, honor and trust. Palin turned her back on Alaskans for her own convenience. She's a weakling.

Posted by: sillygirl1 | July 6, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

This is perhaps the longest piece by Dionne I have seen in the Post. Why did he bother to write it? The only reason is that he and the likes of him see the writing on the wall if she becomes a presidential candidate. And female scribblers like Dowd and Marcus also are mortified by the example of a woman so vastly superior to them.

Posted by: gmdim | July 6, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

lost horizon 10====she said she was a pit bull---she didn't mean the dog . she meant she was a pit of bull....

Posted by: majorteddy | July 6, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

She may actually get good press if she goes on the lecture circuit and attends GOP events with a well-written (by someone else) speech filled with her platitudes and cliches (that bumpersticker language she excels at) and no substance. She proved at the RNC that she can deliver a speech written by someone else and rile up the base.

This would be dangerous for the country because it could give her unearned legitimacy as a candidate.

Posted by: FauxReal | July 6, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

The first clue that Sarah Palin did NOT resign to begin her bid for President is that that's what William Kristol wrote.

Since Kristol is consistently and spectacularly wrong on pretty much everything, we know that there's something else going on behind the scenes.

Posted by: tgoglia | July 6, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin thinks she will be thenext President. She will merely be the next Ann Coulter.

Posted by: scuunjieng | July 6, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

FauxReal, that's true but so far as I know brain transplants haven't been perfected as yet. Besides, the "base" is thin, narrow, shrill, exposed and hers already.

Posted by: sillygirl1 | July 6, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional...

Posted by: tgoglia | July 6, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

The only way to improve that sports quote would have been to end every sentence with an exclamation mark.

Posted by: daphne5 | July 6, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

There is something that people are forgetting. Even if she did have a 1 in a million chance of reaching a level to be elected President in 2012...How will she handle the debates? She can have all the speech writers she wants in the private sector...all the book deals, all the tv shows she wants. However, how effective will this woman be if she cannot even hold her own in political discourse. It was evident that Biden was holding back...I love it...Her pedigree can be falsified by her supporters, but not on the political battle ground

Posted by: joecrayola | July 6, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

If SP ever becomes "electable," I hope that GOP leadership realize that to move her forward would be a disaster for this country. I don't trust that *she* is aware that despite all the words coming out of her mouth, she's not really saying anything in the least bit coherent.

Does Rush Limbaugh even articulate his support of SP, anymore?

Posted by: Magoo1 | July 6, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

"And female scribblers like Dowd and Marcus also are mortified by the example of a woman so vastly superior to them."

This right here is a window into the mind of a Palin lover. She is "superior" to Dowd and Marcus just exactly how? Certainly not in the clarity of her communication. Or her willingness (or ability?) to fulfill a commitment she made when she took the oath of office as Governor of Alaska.

Better hair? Better glasses? More makeup?

Maybe people like this just like her accent? It certainly is unique? I know other people from Alaska and they don't talk like that!

She cannot even talk the talk of Republican Talking Points. She wanders, she doesn't get to the point (if there is a point), she mixes metaphors and jumps all over the place.

So we must be left with "she's vastly superior" because she riles up the worst in these people -- their hatred of blacks, their paranoia about liberals and the press, their opinion that only the dumb and blindly religious are "true American patriots."

I would say their thinking was seriously warped, but they don't seem to really THINK at all. They react. They're mad dogs, and she's their alpha ... well, let's just say it rhymes with "witch" a la Barbara Bush.

Posted by: theRealCalGal | July 6, 2009 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Excellent piece. Like many I listened, listened again and then read the transcripts of Palin's speech. It is beyond me how anyone can, after listening and/or reading the text of this speech, consider her articulate in any fashion.

Rambling, incoherent, rushed and poorly prepared comes to mind after having listened to this performance.

The sports metaphors aside, the speech didn't make any sense. Although I must say I did like the "go with the flow" characterization that "only dead fish go with the flow." I thought that was a good one and will use it in some future reference I'm sure.

This has always been aa aspect of Palin's supporters that I have truly never understood. It is mystifying.

Previous speeches, comments or general addresses coming from Palin have always had the one overwhelming common trait ... they don't make any sense. Her resigning performance, while in keeping with the spirit of the trait, has taken it to another level.

Palin's performance appeared and sounded to me as though it was delivered by someone who may just be having an emotional breakdown of some sort.

I think we can all agree that the Kouric interview was not fluke or catching Palin on an bad day ... that was vintage Palin.

Posted by: Topper2u | July 6, 2009 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Forgive a complete outsider making comment, however, I have followed your polity through the WP webpage since Obama declared his candidacy a couple of years back .

By reading your blogs over the years I don't think contributors realize how important the image of your country is.
The USA is vital in foreign policy and
some domestic issue.

Most oped pieces and some blogs would appear to agree that brand USA has slipped
somewhat in recent years, and that from
hitherto staunch allies.

I regarded the Palin nomination as peculiar and certainly not in the usual mould. I listened for three weeks and decided she was not for me, and I hoped
not for you. I would seem the majority agreed with me.

The thought of Palin in the Oval Office making life and death foreign policy decisions filled me with dread. As to her hard line views on social issues that was
your problem and wouldn't affect me.

Indeed America, to paraphrase your great Ed Murrow, good-day & good luck to and you all from the land down under.

Posted by: tjmaller | July 6, 2009 3:53 AM | Report abuse

Re: Governor Quitter-
It was always the becoming (s)he dreamed of, never the being.

(apologies to F. Scott Fitzgerald, who also wrote a thing or two about 2nd acts in American lives).

Posted by: NatalieF | July 6, 2009 3:54 AM | Report abuse

‘Palin’, or to ‘palin’, or to have ‘palined’:

PALIN \pay-lyn\ adverb 1. to naively, ignorantly and inappropriately accept a position while not having the requisite qualifications 2. to have naively and inappropriately accept a political nomination without blinking, when one should have not only blinked, but also thought about ones’ own lack of qualifications and the expected mal-effects on one’s self, family, political party or country; as in: ‘to pull a palin’ 3. to inappropriately blame the media for accurately noting ones’ lack of qualifications after one naively and inappropriately accepted a political nomination for which they did not hold the experience or qualifications for.

PALINED \pay-lyn-ed\ verb 1. to have pulled off a bone-headed action, or a boner; as in: ‘to palin’ or ‘to have palined’ 2. when a crony is offered, and accepts, a government position which they have not the experience or qualifications for, and then problems occur because of this, as in: Sara Palin palined when she hired her unqualified high school friends for high offices in Alaska; or, as in: John McCain palined when he choose Sara Palin as his Vice President nomination. 3. to hire cronies or other unqualified people, so that they do a poor job so it looks like the government can not handle societies needs, and so as to promote the privatization of government, by actively acting to make it work poorly, as in: President Bush palined in appointing the FEMA head who palined during New Orleans’ Katrina hurricane.

Posted by: truthforpeace | July 6, 2009 4:29 AM | Report abuse

I've listed to Palin, I've read her speeches and I've learned that she speaks in incoherent sound bites. Maybe that works on the beauty pageant scene, but it does not translate in politics. Her reasoning is circular.. in short, it makes no sense. I think it's deliberate. She speaks but says absolutely nothing.
After one of her statements, no one really knows what she said. She's totally baffling.

Posted by: bozhogg | July 6, 2009 6:07 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is not without future prospects. The right wing blogosphere always has room for one more idiot.

Posted by: dataflunky | July 6, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse

If Sarah Palin were not so attractive, she would not have been the candidate for VP. She provided a recorded message that McCain could not bring himself to give, but also arm candy and a sexy subtle message to offset the image of the old candidate.

Posted by: Marywexler38 | July 6, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Dionne, wrote:

But Nixon had political gifts that Palin doesn’t.

Hahahahahaha!
Sarah Palin doesnt have POLITICAL GIFT?

I think Dionne, you should resign your job at the WAS-POST because your biased and liberal-left hate for the Biggest-Gifted-Political Human on the scene! you can't see? has made you blinded,
so it is time to move to Moveon.org and the likes!
Byee Dionne, you become irrelevant.
Resign!

Posted by: Dalva1 | July 6, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

E.J. has hit the nail squarely on the head. Sarah is a pathetic figure in American politics. She quit her day job, a job that was under attack from within her own party in Alaska. I would like to think that her 15-minute media cycle is finally over. Occasionally, there is a lot written about so little. This is one such occasion.

I thank John McCain and his adroit political skills that foisted Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber on the American scene. Can you only imagine what his cabinet might look like? I shudder to think.

Posted by: EarlC | July 6, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

@topper2u:

"I did like the ... characterization that "only dead fish go with the flow.'"

It is a nice one, which of course means that she didn't come up with it. Jim Hightower used it in his book title, and I imagine it's older than that. You can get an "Only Dead Fish Go With the Flow" bumper sticker from Amazon, and they didn't print 'em up over the weekend.

Posted by: chrisd3 | July 6, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

dalva wrote...
...liberal-left hate for the Biggest-Gifted-Political Human on the scene! you can't see? has made you blinded...

That level of delusion must make day-to-day life difficult.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | July 6, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Dalva1,

Palin does of course have a potent political gift that attracts a small and important fraction of the electorate. The rest of us understand very well that she has a talent that appeals intensely to a constituency with strongly held beliefs and a sense of increasing political and societal alienation. The current issue is that we're trying to make sense of how her resignation decision and announcement advanced her goals and the political interests of her supporters. Her conservative constituency deserves an effective voice. Right now she's effective only within her group, and she's going to have to start making a lot more sense to a wider audience to have any further social impact, much less any electoral success.

Posted by: ethan1969 | July 6, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcCougar | July 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

She is ideally suited to ge a right wing radio or TV tak show host. Even if she gets the facts wrong, the only harm she can do is to the already misinformed who will listed.

With good ratings as her goal, truth as an inconvenience,she should be a delight for her listeners.

Her national political life has already been, in so many ways, a right wing talk show.

Posted by: jaydeuno | July 6, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

dalva wrote...

That level of delusion must make day-to-day life difficult.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | July 6, 2009 8:13 AM
____________________________________
On the contrary: that level of delusion makes life very, very easy! ;)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | July 6, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

What fascinates me is that those few who support Sarah Palin have to spew venom at the "left-wing liberal press" to state their view. Her only support comes from the hate-filled on the far right who have a delusional view of the world and no constructive ideas or original thought.

Posted by: Denny_98 | July 6, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

why does the msm dance so gingerly around the obvious: she's an idiot.

the scary part is knowing that we've been there, done this. w's essential incompetence was common knowledge in 2000. it didn't keep him from being elected.

Posted by: jimfilyaw | July 6, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again- 'Real America'

'... "detached from the lives of ordinary Americans"'

This am - msm- MSNBC hostess stated 'liberal elites' in one of her comments - once again- pushing the 'real America' mantra.

'Then, after all that, she smugly asserts the right to decide who is a patriot and who is not. It's not about "country," in other words, it's about hypocrisy. And Sarah Palin is full of it. '

This is their idea of country first!

One think you are missing EJ is the number of times she mentioned Oil and Gas and National Security.

A few weeks ago Palin was in Central Texas when she slammed Letterman.

Does anyone recall this? Anyone in the media ask why she was in Central Texas- a few weeks ago?

Central Texas?

Why is no one in the msm picking this up?

In her rambling appearance on Friday- did anyone pay attention to her speech?

Some of Palin’s rambling points:

*Gatekeeper of the Nation
*Oil and Gas
*God gave us energy
*Humbling responsibility- Alaska for National Security
*No more politics as usual
*Developed responsibly to develop their resources - oil and gas
*Petroleum development office
*Drilling for Oil and Gas
*58 to 1 victory protecting Alaskans to flow to the lower 48 - pro private sector project

National Security- oil and gas!

Central Texas!
Most governors are behind Obama’s Energy Plan- 34 or 36-She was not one of them.

The train is leaving the station- enter Lobbyist Palin.

Posted by: sasha2008 | July 6, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Back during the campaign, there were lots of comments about how Sarah Palin was a natural for television. Some even lamented the fact that she'd have to waste 2 years in Alaska before she could cash in on her new celebrity.

It's either a pending scandal, or the realization that she's more marketable on TV now than she will be in 2011. At least she learned one thing from Obama--"The fierce urgency of now."

Posted by: mikeinmidland | July 6, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

The second quote is truly terrifying and I wish you HAD parsed it.

The first quote is simply a typical Palin-patented, fumble-witted, mealy-mouthed justification for her resignation: She's just taking one for the team, passing the ball for victory (Rah!).

Everyone assumes the second quote is a repetition but it isn't! It's a Bachman-inspired piece of extreme right-wing GOP BS: She's talking about re-writing the Constitution! The phrase "top down big government take-over" is right out of Bachman's book of paranoia. The "drastically changed" conditions she sees are tantamount to the end of days for her.

But what does "calling an audible" mean? This second quote is talking about the constitution not her career: the parallel construction of the quotes is misleading. She is implying something far darker than resigning. There is something truly twisted in her that has gotten far worse in the last year. I think she has been totally seduced by the adoration of her sad sick group of ignorant extremists: The gun loving, tax hating, anti-government, radical whackos who make up a large portion of her base.

It's smugly hidden in her text but the kind of vehement hatred expressed in "this top down big government take-over" is the kind of cynical nihilism her supporters cheer. Could she actually be implying some kind of revolution? It would explain why she feels she needs to step down. A governor is part of the establishment and a revolutionary leader can't be. With her Alaska-secessionist background and the willingness of the GOP to tolerate discussion of this insane treason (Bachman, Perry) I think we have every reason to suspect the worst.

She wants to take tea-bagging to the next level.

Posted by: joebanks | July 6, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see the person who writes her speeches.

Posted by: mac7 | July 6, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I think the truth lies more on the fact that Sara cannot keep her eye on the ball cause she is far too focused on her critics or what bloggers have to say about her.

Posted by: mac7 | July 6, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Palin quit to earn big money. Period. In her calculations, if she waited 18 months things may not be too rosy for her. She did not want to bet on that she is a woman of few skills that matters. If politics follows after she makes herself rich fine if not she can count herself as one of the priviliged leisury society siphoning money by blaberring nonesense as many do. She is a pathetic manipulative woman who will do anything to further herself. Thanks to cable, the Internet, and the media we are forced be reminded of her and the likes of her...

Posted by: ere591 | July 6, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Will somebody please explain to me why the media is paying so much attention to this cartoon character. I have not been able to comprehend why she continues to have her every mindless babbling reported by the media. During the 2008 campaign, she showed the world that she, like many of her fans, considers ignorance to be desirable feature in a politican who aspires to higher office. The media should start ignoring her and maybe she will just go away.

Posted by: topperale | July 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

A good point guard doesn't keep her eyes on the ball or the basket. A good point guard must be able to dribble without looking at the ball. And the basket never moves so staring at it is useless.

A good point guard knows how to manage people, to get them moving in the right direction, to have them deployed in the right positions, to plan out a strategy, and to execute with precision.

Kind of like governing.

Posted by: dgloo | July 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"... that she has a real chance of becoming president. Neither a buzzer beater nor a Hail Mary pass will make that happen -- especially after Friday."

Let's hope you're right.

Posted by: farhorizons | July 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

For all her faults -- indeed, because of her faults -- Palin represents perfectly what contemporary conservatism has become. Palin's fundamental failing is that she aspired to the leadership of a complex nation-state with the mentality of a tribal chieftain. Palin's strength, like conservatism's genrally, was in promoting group solidarity and loyalty. Her failing, also like conservatism's generally, is that they defined focus of their politics is on a very narrow and homogeneous group.

That is why Palin shows so little interest in the actual hard work of governing, which inevitably brings her into contact with people unlike her. It's why conservatives have shown a complete lack of aptitude for governing whenever they've been given the opportunity for real responsibility. Their interest is much more proving the superiority of their own sub-group, which is why they are such superior campaigners and political combatants, but such poor leaders. And it is also why, paranthetically, it was no surprise that Palin and her very strange husband gave aid and comfort to an Alaskan separatist party committed to independence from the larger US -- or why separatist and secessionist sentiment is now flourishing in the conservative strongholds of the South and Southwest.

The modern conservative movement has shown again and again that it is not ready for prime time in a modern democracy. It is stuck in a pre-modern era of political adolescence before the emergence of complex and diverse nation-states, longing for the days when only clans, tribes and chiefdoms existed, plagued by an arrested development that makes it totally unfit for the responsibilities of leadership in a nation whose motto is a celebration of diversity, not uniformity -- "from the many, one."

Posted by: TedFrier | July 6, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

sasha2008 wrote: "A few weeks ago she made her decision to quit- In a few more weeks – she will be connecting to K Street in DC or in the proximity of K Street"

I disagree. You need more than a smile and a wink to work on K street. And Palin is always out to advance herself. How will she be able to set herself aside and advance someone elses interests? Not possible.

No, I think she will either replace Steele as head of the RNC or she will become a commentator on Faux Knews. The later will provide some thngs she spoke of in the news conference, money, keep her face on TV where she thinks she's a star and advance the battle she referred to. And Faux's ratings will soar. Its a win-win to use Palin's sports metaphors and I can see that in her little mind it all makes biblical sense. She is after all the one who said that she waits for God to provide a crack in a door of opportunity and then charges through that door. She is charging through a new door. The only question I have is what poor state will end up having her as a resident. Probably NY.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Dalva, gmdim (emphasis on the 'dim'),

Now that she's demonstrated herself to be even less qualified for office than she seemed during the last campaign, it seems far fewer ditto heads are showing up online to support the attractive-but-utterly-brainless Sarah Palin. If you still support her, you must be REALLY SLOW on the uptake. Here, I'll explain it in words you use every day and therefore may understand: Ugh, ugh, booma, booma, ugh, woo hoo, booma! There, did you get that? You're welcome.

Posted by: leftcoastblue | July 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

she will always be a candidate. she will never be elected.

Posted by: natty-bumppo | July 6, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

She just quit her job and she wants kudos for that decision?

Maybe that's what tripped her up, it's a JOB, with responsibilities, and when it's hard or you get a poor performance review, you WORK HARDER and try to improve.

I don't think she has the brains or backbone to do that. And for someone who called herself a pit bull, she's remarkably thin-skinned. Hmm, anyone here want to place money on whether she's found some really lucrative way to make money? One that not only permits, but ENCOURAGES her to focus on her favourite subject--herself?

I can't imagine who they could get to ghost-write her (no doubt) forthcoming autobiography. That would be a horrifying prospect for any editor, trying to turn what she says and writes into comprehensible, grammatical English.

Posted by: Skowronek | July 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I suspect that most people, regardless of their political point of view, have the opinion that Mrs. Palin is not an ideal leader. I also suspect that the reason so many come to her defense isn't because they agree with her idology, but because the attacks (Dowd, et al) are written using sarcastic, condescending terms and personal attacks that are demeaning not only to Mrs. Palin, but many people across the nation. It is less about defending Sarah Palin, the person, and more a reaction to attacks on their own way of life. Essentially, the Dowds and Dionnes of the world appear to be as xenophobic as those they denounce and belittle.

Posted by: gardedgarton | July 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"I continue to be surprised, however, by those who insist that she has a real chance of becoming president." EJ couldn't bring himself to notice the obvious about McCain (i.e., he didn't have much). After an election cycle like this, interest in someone as lacking as Palin should be no surprise.

Posted by: thebuckguy | July 6, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

She doesn't want to be a lame duck--but she won't be one unless she ran for and won a second term. This is still her first term. So, she's quitting before it even GETS tough.

She mentions resigning for the sake of her family BUT she plans a run for the presidency in 2012. That makes no sense.

"It is my duty to always protect our great state." = I quit.

"With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer" = I quit.

After all, once she has quit, it is no longer her administration, agenda, accomplishments or future to guide. Maybe her quitting is her way of accomplishing her other stated goal--of helping others.

Posted by: Skowronek | July 6, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

You people are missing the point entirely. In crazy Republican logic world, what she did was brilliant! If government is the problem, than being elected and then quitting because government doesn't work is the epitome of action! And being ignorant and inarticulate shows she is one of the people. (At least in republican crazy logic world this all makes sense)

Posted by: fakecamus | July 6, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the American people. What they know today will be forgotten by tomorrow.

The same people who loved Reagan and the Bush family will be back if they can make a buck off her image, no matter how vacuous and manipulative and nasty she truly is.

Posted by: sufi66 | July 6, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You have to wonder, if she didn't have a beauty queen's looks and a cartoon character's delivery, would anyone would pay any attention to her at all? She has no original ideas, no command of facts, and inability to integrate information. What exactly are the Republicans looking for in a political leader?

Posted by: captn_ahab | July 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Ever since she was nominated, the movie "The Manchurian Candidate" comes to mind.

Posted by: IRCG | July 6, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

bevjims, I sooo hope you're wrong because we don't need her kind here in NY...we have enough problems already. Maybe, since she's so fond of sports,and has a talent for filling up dead air without really saying anything...they can give her a job at Fox Sports. She hasn't really done anything that long to actually be able to call any job her profession. Unless you call being a narrow-minded, self-promoting hypocrite a profession, but then Fox gave that job to O'Reilly.

Posted by: suzq1964 | July 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

The Republican Party and Sarah Palin need to lose this notion that the "real Americans" are the ones who watch country western videos, flock to NASCAR races, and want creationism taught next to evolution. To them "real Americans" point with pride at a teenage daughter pregnant out of wedlock to a self-professed f****** redneck whose mother has been charged with the manufacture of crystal meth. Real Americans also name their kids after things that start with Tr and use all of their kids as props. Here's the belated news GOP'ers. F****** rednecks are a minority in America, the great proportion of whom do not vote. You only insult intelligent Republicans when you force these yahoos on them. The rest of us expect nothing less from you, since that's been your bread and butter for some time (see George W. Bush). You appeal to those who refuse to think for themselves and just want to hear what they want to hear.

Posted by: curtb | July 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I know it defies rational probability, but listen. Who would have thought that a supposedly serious man like Sen. McCain could be persuaded to bring on a green, un-schooled 1st-term governor in a close presidential race? Who would think that a person of clearly sub-standard world-understanding could even remotely pass herself off as a vice-presidential candidate? Well, consider that nearly half of American voters in 2008 thought that the possibility wasn't so bad.

Why is it impossible that someone, desperate perhaps, thinks that Gov. Palin with some intense (2-3 year long) training could be a credible candidate for national office. I do not, but I think we should be very wary of writing off this person. There are still many out there who have brought themselves to believe that this person has "right" ideas and somehow should be our national chief executive. It should also be remembered that those who backed Bush-Cheney, Bush-Quayle, and Reagan-Bush are relentless in having a free hand for business in their control or in control of "friends." Whatever coalitions are necessary, whatever pacts with whatever political and social strains gain the access to high office, those deals are made and "conservativism" powers forward.

Let us not pretend that we are unaware that forces greater than Bush I, Bush II, or even Cheney give impetus to a determined flanking action by the right. There is an agenda - seen in the court appointments, blocking actions in Congress, fund-raising, and think tanks - that points the power of our country toward its own goals. Sarah Palin still seems to be a hoped-for instrument in that pursuit.

While some of us clearly see the thinness of her veil, it is easy to forget that Gov. Palin did not pop up out of thin air. And as we know she was not Sen. McCain's primary (or perhaps even 6th) choice, we don't know who planted her on the ticket and what "deal" was struck with McCain to get her there. This is no game to the big players. We should all be wary.

Posted by: Jazzman7 | July 6, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Whoa! That wasn't Sarah yipping away. It was Tina Fay playing with us, right?

Or maybe Sarah is thinking of producing another reality TV series. . . what to call it? The politics of personality over character? The politics of name calling over issue definition? The politics of family values as a wedge issue? The politics of entertainment over serious issues of governing?

Poor Sarah. More empathy for the children, however. What chaos they must have experienced over the last 18 months with that kind of emotionally charged parenting.

Posted by: alyurek | July 6, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

(See the 1 minute and 45 seconds interview on YouTube and you'll see why people will never support her.)

Sept. 2, 2008

ABC News' Eloise Harper reports: Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, in a video interview with Newsweek, posted on YouTube, discussed the coverage of Sen. Hillary Clinton. In an interview that appears to have taken place during the Democratic primary, Palin criticizes Clinton for her response to media scrutiny she received while on the campaign trail.

Palin says, "When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism or, you know, maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, man, that doesn’t do us any good. Women in politics, women in general wanting to progress this country. I don’t think it’s, it bodes well for her -- a statement like that."
The presumptive Republican vice presidential nominee says that Clinton should just "work harder" and "prove yourself to an even greater degree that you are capable."

Palin explains, “I think she does herself a disservice to even mention it, really. I mean, you’ve got to plow through that. You have to know what you’re getting into which, I say this with all due respect to Hillary Clinton and to her experience and to her passion for changing the status quo.”

The Alaska Governor concludes, “It bothers me a little bit, hearing, hearing her bring that attention to herself on that

Posted by: MILLER123 | July 6, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Do we need any further proof that the Right Wing does not actually care about governing. I am not talking about attacks against Big Government. I am talking about the act of governing in a democracy itself.

In conservative cultures the accepted right wing institutions govern directly -- the business oligarchy, the ecclesiastical authorities or the military. In liberal societies conservatives must at least pay lip service to democratic traditions and sensibilities in order gain the consent of the governed. But once safely in office conservatives almost always turn over real power and decision-making to business elites, the church hierarchy or even the military. Conservatives hate mere "politicians" -- who are mostly seen as catering to "the masses" and in conservative circles are merely figureheads those pulling strings behind the scenes.

Is it any wonder that the hard right that controls the GOP talks about radical free market policies like tax cuts on investment income and de-regulation of the financial markets, as well as trying to turn America into a Christian Nation with a Biblical Worldview. The one turns over the nation's economic policy to the business elites and the other puts the nation's social laws in the religious authorities. That is all Sarah Palin is. A figurehead for this conservative oligarchy waiting in the wings to take power if Palin is somehow able to seduce the American public into voting for her. But why should she hit the books and learn about monetarism or fiscal policy or anything else of substance? It's not her job to govern. She has "advisors" for that.

Posted by: TedFrier | July 6, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps we all underestimated what a true idiot this woman is. It appears she has delusions of intelligence.

FYI - a point guard does not keep his eyes on the basket, but sees the entire team. An audible isn't always a pass play.

But she certainly has dropped the ball here.

Posted by: octobertea | July 6, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin's discourse gave new meaning to the words "warped reality." A common malady among present day republicans. It was with some amusement as I listened to her mixed metaphors and the incorrect attribution of a historical utterance. Me thinks she is just trying to prove that geography isn't the only thing she knows
nothing about.

Posted by: weseustice | July 6, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Point guards don't quit the game at the start of the fourth quarter.

Posted by: octobertea | July 6, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Ohhhhhhhhhhh EJ... every time you open your mouth it reminds Me of an old queen in the village circa 1968.....can we say "Bitter Betty , Party of One".... Are you upset cause the gal one upped you and the rest of the Cee You Next Tuesday crowd ....Kudos to Ms Alaska for gettin the hell outta Dodge and leaving you in the dust saying "WTF" ?

Posted by: Spartann | July 6, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I can't get over her comment she made Friday. She said the "world needs more Trigs not fewer." Wow! Maybe her supporters can explain what she meant. Fox news or carl rove where are you?

Posted by: MILLER123 | July 6, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Palin offends me. She cheapens the political process, something Richard Nixon never did. She appeals to a segment of the population which resents the elites of the country and presents herself as alternative, one based on slogans, mixed at that, fuzzy speech and dime store thinking. The "people" have a right to expect more of their representatives. The fourth estate is doing its job in examining their lives. Once Palin accepted McCain's invitation to be his running mate, she exposed herself to a higher standard of scrutiny. To now be upset at its implications is hypocritical. The real culprit in all this, however, is John McCain who plucked someone out of virtual obscurity who was not ready for the national stage. He then asked us to think seriously that this woman was ready to be President. It was a foolish question then and it still is now.

Posted by: ElinorMiller | July 6, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

MILLER123 wrote: "I can't get over her comment she made Friday. She said the "world needs more Trigs not fewer." Wow! Maybe her supporters can explain what she meant."

She was speaking to the anti-choice crowd, which makes me think she is going to make her money off of them in the future Heading to Faux Knews makes so much sense but I have to stop and take a wait-see attitide since we are after all talking about Palin, and sense is not one of her best qualities. But, then again, if she's heading to Faux she did not make the decision, she was given an invitation, one of those doors she's always talking about charging through, leaving her responsibilities in Alaska behind seems not to bother her but she did spend much of the speech defending it, poorly.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

It out-Livingstons Livingston.

Posted by: mattintx | July 6, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Indeed. What great entertainment.

Posted by: mikey4 | July 6, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

If Sarah Palin has a better opportunity, she has every right to step down as governor just as any other person who moves onto to another, better job. Furthermore, with all the attacks on her family, like Letterman's comments about her daughter, and the comments about her baby all of which are just terrible, who would want to stick around and put up with that? Even if she just raises her family, she's not losing anything! Politics is a dirty business and I'm sure it took a lot of courage to step down probably more than what it would have taken to remain in office! Congratulations to her for having the courage not to put up with the ignorance of the masses!

Posted by: mcarr4 | July 6, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I find it astonishing that someone as educated and well respected as Bill Kristol can bring himself to believe that Sarah Palin is actually a serious Presidential prospect. Kristol preposterously believes that Palin's move to resign is some sort of brilliant political ploy.

I am beginning to wonder if Palin has driven Kristol--and so many other aging conservatives--over the edge and into some weird "middleaged crazy, tryin' to prove he still can", as the song goes.

This is just plain nuts. And goes a long way toward explaining why the GOP is so miserably out of touch with reality.

Posted by: jaxas | July 6, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The smoke is starting to clear. She is 500k in debt for all the legal work that was done on her behalf. She is, either, going on a world speaking tour, including the fine country of Africa, or, she is getting her own show on Fox. No one as ambitious and power hungry as Sarah Palin is going to give up that power. She also has to pay the bills. This story is not over. On the contrary, it is just beginning.

Posted by: bunduo | July 6, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

ElinorMiller wrote: "Palin offends me. She cheapens the political process, something Richard Nixon never did."

You don't think breaking into the DNC headquarters to help steel an election, then lying about it repeatedly to the American people cheapened the political process?

ElinorMiller wrote: "She appeals to a segment of the population which resents the elites of the country and presents herself as alternative, one based on slogans, mixed at that, fuzzy speech and dime store thinking."

You got that right, but please don't raise Nixon from the low he went to by saying Palin is lower. She has after all, to our knowlege, commited no crime, stole no election, violated no election laws. Nixon should remain where he made his bed, in the lowest of lows of American politics.

If anything Palin is more like that British ski jumper Eddie "The Eagle" in the 1988 Olympics who was absolutely awful (though top ski jumper in the UK) and had no chance of even competing less winning, yet did it for the spotlight. In the end, fearing that in the future other less-than-qualified atheletes might enter and get injured, the IOC made a rule known as the "Eddie the Eagle Rule", which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and place in the top 30 percent or the top 50 competitors, whichever is the lesser, to ensure competing atheletes are the best in the sport, not just the best in their country. Palin is the best politician in the evangelical rightwing anti-abortion conservative nutcase world, but that does not mean she is even capable in the sport of politics nationally.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I think we need to keep one wary eye on the basket - that's her - and one on the ball - that's Huckabee - and then move straight forward.

Sarah Palin is not the only nutcase in the Republican party.

Posted by: asoders22 | July 6, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Palin IS gifted. There are not too many speakers who can confuse, confound and insult all in one speech. Her arrogance at assuming she alone is the arbiter of patriotism, 'real America,' and noble service to the country is pathologically narcissistic and the fact that she truly believes it and is able to convince others of her selfless 'calling'--in the face of clear evidence of her selfish grandstanding--is beyond frightening.

Posted by: Mickey71 | July 6, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

actually, a really good point guard knows that you don't dribble through a full court press, you pass through the press; it gets the ball up the court much more quickly and safely. selfish point guards dribble through a press and, most of the time, cause a turnover.

Posted by: thisisme2 | July 6, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

McCain owes the nation an apology for foisting this loopy woman on us in the first place. Shame on you Senator. I can live with her showing up twice a month on the tabloids but it is now time for the mainstream press to forget about her.

Posted by: brobert1 | July 6, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

She had as much chance of becoming prez as Newt Gingrich. Talked about much, but it ain't ever gonna happen.

Posted by: IpiTombi | July 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

'We need those who will respect our Constitution where government's supposed to serve from the bottom up......"

Let's see....the GOP wants to continue tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans, but Palin says government should serve those from the bottom up; that's hypocritical of the GOP's mantra, isn't it??

Posted by: B767400 | July 6, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin: a new photo to show up nexr to the definition of The Peter Principle.

Posted by: FactChecker1 | July 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

=====================================

I think she has more in common with Tonya Harding, personally. But Sarah Palin is a LOT lazier, and way more pretentious.

Posted by: Skowronek | July 6, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Palin keeps failin'

Posted by: LeftCoastNative | July 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Just to add credence to my comment:

The latter part of Harding's competitive career was marked by a series of accidents and incidents, causing television commentators to observe that no competition was complete without Tonya having a crisis.

Substitute political career, second half of first term, and many media commentators. Fits pretty well.

But Sarah Palin never, ever, worked hard enough to land a triple axel. You can't fake that ability, or charm people into believing you did it.

Posted by: Skowronek | July 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Top 10 list of why SP is resigning as Governor of Alaska:
10. Hunting season is coming and she doesn't want any of that pesky state business getting in the way.
9. FOX Snooze has an on-air opening to make up stories. Wardrobe allotment? You betcha!
8. She read a newspaper and found out she's widely hated.
7. She thought the term of office was 2.5 years. Oops!
6. Husband Todd threatened to go to Buenos Aires and SP replied, "You're not going to Texas without me!"
5. Quit before the next scandal breaks.
4. Wants to get a head start chatting up Iowans before the next Presidential primary.
3. Wants to travel to Michael Jackson's memorial service without any of that pesky state business getting in the way.
2. Plans to retire quietly and let the real politicians play dirty politics. Oh, sorry, that was Colin Powell's #2 reason for stepping down.
1. She's pregnant!

Posted by: doobrah | July 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The woman is just plain nuts. Why does anyone continue to expect logic or knowledge from this boob? I'm sick to death of her (and the GOP's) "I'm a patriot; you're not" schtick. Why is it these people can't accept any kind of argument against their views? That's what this country is about. Palin's view of spreading her whacko-conservatism across this country ignores the fact that the country doesn't want it. Wasn't she paying attention to the last election? Oh, that's a dumb question.

Posted by: EdSantaFe | July 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm only surprised that E.J. Dionne, apparently, seems to feel the need to apologize for stating the obvious about Sarah Palin.

Posted by: ejs2 | July 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Dionne just shows how ignorant he his, like most of his columns.

Anyone who has played basketball knows that you pass the ball and call audibles in basketball as well as in football.

Posted by: Delongl | July 6, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Palin’s move puts yet more pressure on Obama to finally get some results, as the soaring rhetoric isn’t hypnotizing the plebes like it used to.

Last week Helen Thomas, Colin Powell, and Warren Buffet all turned on him. Polls are looking droopy for The One lately.

And Obama’s porkulus program is a train wreck, all it’s done is bump interest rates and tank the dollar. We are being laughed at by bad guys like Tehran, Pyongyang, and Al Qaida who amazingly turned-down Barack’s friend-requests.

Palin could trounce him in 2012, when Americans would vote for the Gipper-in-Heels in droves- while begging for lower taxes, free enterpise, a defense posture with some backbone… an end to the radical, anti-American nightmare we’ve got now.

Go get ‘em Sarah-

Posted by: ReaganiteRepublican | July 6, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Read the speech and see if it makes any sense to YOU!

She starts off: "Hello Alaska", not "Hello Alaskans". Does she make it a practice to say hello to inanimate objects?

My guess is that she will pull a Larry Craig and withdraw her resignation when she realizes she has headed her political career into oblivion. Her only hope is a FOX TV show. Her talents would be wasted on radio, since she looks so much better than Rush in a miniskirt.

Posted by: cyberfool | July 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Bottomline Palin could of given a great speech it doesn't matter.. she never had a chance for 2012.. as for 2016, she needed to remain governor, have things run smoothly there, and probably win a future Alaska Senate seat to boot. Since none of this will happen now what her stepping down, (no matter how clumsy she was doing it), will do is free her to be an advocate for something like energy independence or against Gay marriage. She will still have for core followers who this speech will not have turned off.. so she will have a voice. She might even want to become a pundit herself, write a book or even have her own radio or cable TV show... I believe elected politics is now over for her.. which is good for the Republicans.. but she can still be a money raising force for the Right.. which is also good for the Republicans...

Posted by: sovine08 | July 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

--1. She's pregnant!
Posted by: doobrah

Whoa, that actually makes some sense in a Palinesque sort of way. Considering that its been reported the Letterman joke swayed her to quit I was wondering if Letterman was not far from the truth and she just wanted to avoid the future spotlight.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Anybody checked to see if she's been to Brazil lately?

Posted by: fogey | July 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, good news for our friends in Alaska, maybe not-so-good news for the rest of us. It is hard to believe this woman and the First Dude have a following -- or that anybody can truly think she is capable of leading this country.

Maybe instead of being a political leader, Ms. Pitbull's next gig should be as a judge on America's Got Talent.

Posted by: and2rewham | July 6, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

________
Kinda like Robin Williams in... "Gooooood Morning Vietnam."

Posted by: sovine08 | July 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has the face and body of a beauty queen - and the mind of a bimbo. Are these attributes for political leadership in America? If so, heaven help us.

Posted by: maybat | July 6, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I think that she was caught by surpize about the amount of negative attention she saw back in Alaska after five-six months of being in a national campaign bubble. Whether or not you support her, what she needs to further her national ambitions are MORE unscrpited, critical venues not less. She needs give and take from people that are NOT trying to hide her in a corner. She also needs to get out of the country more. She can have more freedom not being governor, but she has to not crawl into a right-wing/talk show bubble for the next 3 years or she will be ill-served in her quest for national prominence.

Posted by: chuck2 | July 6, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

We all know she's narcissistic, but watching her speech Friday I couldn't help but wonder if she's not also bipolar. She was as manicky in her delivery as any manic I've seen. How pathetic.

Posted by: merryvonne | July 6, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

sovine08 wrote: "She might even want to become a pundit herself, write a book or even have her own radio or cable TV show... I believe elected politics is now over for her.. which is good for the Republicans.. but she can still be a money raising force for the Right.. which is also good for the Republicans..."

I think your very close to making it all make sense, but she will never put herself in a position where she has to answer questions or to debate. Considering she gave her resignation speech from her backyard and is only following up with facebook and twitter, it seems she has learned she should avoid any questions or off the cuff remarks. So no future punditry for her since the other pundits would tear her apart, nor a radio show unless she maintains the strict controls like Limbaugh does at filtering the calls. But something like O'Reilly would work, where the "debate" is one-sided, no chance for questioning, and a full hour of saying what you want from pre-screened and proof-read lines. She would look better, sound smarter and keep herself in the national spotlight for a future on the national level. An isolated but public personna that Bush tried to maintain with few news conferences and avoiding the media. I'll be surprised if she just fades away or if she takes any position where she is subject to a real question. And a money raiser for sure. Sadly, I guess we'll see more angry Palin rallies.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"To me above all else, the scary thing is that to some people Palin's speech makes perfect sense. They seem to understand what the rambling is about and are somehow able to thread her thoughts together."

That is what the kingmakers in the Republican Party love(d?) about her--a completely blank slate (mirror?) reflecting back to the "true believers" what they wanted to see. She is something of a Rorschach ink blot, no? An ability to actually communicate clearly and to have an actual firm political viewpoint would ruin her appeal...

Posted by: Ga_gal | July 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Palin is an idiot and totally unsuited for national office. But let us not underestimate the stupidity and gullibility of the American electorate. If eight years of Bush/Cheney have taught us anything, it has taught us that.

Posted by: raqualung | July 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gmdim | July 6, 2009 1:12 AM

---------------------------

Please say that this is a joke. If you are serious you are as dumb as Sarah Palin

Posted by: mackiejw | July 6, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If its sports metphors we're after, did Palin throw a "hail mary", with fourth down and 20, from her own 20yl, with no time outs, and 5 seconds left on the clock????

Posted by: demtse | July 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe she has just come to terms with her limitations and realizes what she can do best: delivering scripted material without having to take any questions. Perfect for Faux news

Posted by: JRM2 | July 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Dione
You obviously have never played basketball, as one must keep his or her eye on the basket as well as the basketball....YOUR ATTACK ON PALIN IS NOT APPPRICATED,,,,you have limited knowledge on both the woman and the sport,,,,THE ONLY SPORT YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW IS BLOOD SPORT,,,,,,,,,

Posted by: Prendv | July 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Dalva1,

Posted by: ethan1969 | July 6, 2009 8:20 AM |"
-------------------------
What makes you think Dalva1 is going to comprehend your points?, he/she could not even parse "Nixon had political gifts that Palin does not"

Posted by: JRM2 | July 6, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Dione
Posted by: Prendv | July 6, 2009 1:27 PM "
--------------------
Last time I checked the basket was still a stationary target.

Only when you shoot do you look at the basket, not "keep your eye on it"

Posted by: JRM2 | July 6, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Prendv, for clarifying the basketball metaphor since that IS what matters here.

I have no doubt that Ms. Palin, when she has not risen waaaay past her level of incompetence, has a great deal to offer. But her selection as potential Veep destroyed what was, at least for me, a wondrous thing: a presidential election where I would have celebrated the victory of either candidate.

Posted by: Philosophe | July 6, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Aha, I get it! Sarah has bigger fish to fry, she is going to be Queen of Alaska, and Todd will be her consort. She can then wear a crown, ask Imelda Marcus where she bought all those sexy shoes and rule the land of ice princesses without worrying about all this durned party nonsense. If the press says one bad thing about anyone in her family or any of her 1,000,000 closest friends, off with their heads. The lower US can kiss her royal highness or whatever, and she'll let Exxon and others have her oil for a price.

Posted by: stoc2000 | July 6, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

If Palin ever grabs significant power, she'll make Joe McCarthy and the Dicks Nixon and Cheney look like babes in the wood.

Posted by: jbart39maccom | July 6, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Listening to Palin's resignation speech left me as confused as the next person. If you are looking for a thread that connects what most observers charitably called a "rambling" address, you are wasting your time. Instead, the significant theme of her words was to string together as many buzzwords as possible to evoke patriotism, resolve, struggle and survival as can be packed into a text. Damn any coherence.
If you go back almost 40 years to the failed nomination of G. Howard Carswell to the Supreme Court, you get a clue about what Palin has to offer to some portion of this country. As Roman Hruska, the Senator from Nebraska said in Carswell's defense: "Even if he is mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance?" The frightening thing about Palin's supporters--even now as she flails about--is their belief that because beyond her undeniable appeal as a media character she has demonstrated no distinction in her brief national political career that in some way distinguishes her. It's that lack of distinction that seems to recommend her to so many. It's as if being Everyman qualifies her to lead. Strange.

Posted by: gratianus | July 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So Palin-supporter Dalva1 thinks Dionne should resign because he is irrelevant. This is one of the themes of people who support Palin. They are unable to see that what they are demanding that others do is precisely what Palin has done -- resigned because she's irrelevant. Another example is that if you question your leaders, or disapprove of their actions, you are unpatriotic. And of course, blame the media for airing what you say, instead of blaming yourself for not having anything relevant to say.

Posted by: sbuck | July 6, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the living embodiment of the Peter Principle, which avers that career people tend to rise to their level of incompetence. Palin arrived there a long time ago, roughly in 2006 when she became Gov. of Alaska. She might have continued as a serviceable Mayor of Wasilla, arguably the last job where she displayed some competence. At least there, she could do little damage if her powers of ratiocination were to fail, as they have time and again in the past ten months. What truly frightens me is that there are millions of my fellow citizens out there who would put a woman with the reasoning powers of a twelve year old in the White House, a thought that makes my skin crawl with horror. Let us fervently hope that this is the final act of one of the most bizarre political careers in American history. Sarah, we know you all too well.

Posted by: heuristic77 | July 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Palin stated that she's quitting primarily to avoid the "politics as usual" that comes with being a lame duck.

However, Alaska's filing deadline for the 2010 governor's race isn't until June 1, 2010. http://www.elections.alaska.gov/forms/h10.pdf

Therefore, Palin could have continued as governor right up to the filing deadline -- another 11 months of service -- before becoming a lame duck.

If she was truly concerned about avoiding lame duck status, she could have done so without quitting. She could have ignored any media chatter of what she MIGHT do and simply keep her head down and work for Alaskans. (ugh, how tedious!)

The lame duck excuse is just that.... bogus.

I'd like someone in the msm to point this out.

Posted by: truly1 | July 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

How do you spell relief? "PALINQUIT"

What is that smell? Scandal. It's coming, no doubt.

Posted by: Michael_A1 | July 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Let us take Sarah Palin’s sports metaphor at face value and determine how it applies to basketball and governing. She passes the basketball at just the right time so that the team can win. This metaphor normally applies to closing moments of a contest when one selfless act leads to victory. Governor Palin is just past the halfway point in her term as Governor, so this is like being in the third quarter of a basketball game. The “closing moment” analogy does not apply. Assisting in one basket, however heroic, in the third quarter and then removing yourself from the game does not help your team win a basketball game. Unless the team leader, knowing she is injured and that only she can remove herself, does so for the good of the team. The analogy is the selfless act of stepping aside so that a better person can take your place.

Posted by: pmt76 | July 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

---The lame duck excuse is just that.... bogus. I'd like someone in the msm to point this out.---
Posted by: truly1

Well, the first statement she made on Friday was that she would not run for governor in 2010. That instantly made her a lame duck. She then used that status a few seconds later to announce she was quitting the job because she did not want to be a lame duck governor, which as you pointed out she could have avoided by not quitting and waiting to announce her intentions in June, 2010. Did she create the excuse she used to quit? You betcha!

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The lame duck excuse is just that.... bogus.

I'd like someone in the msm to point this out.

Posted by: truly1 | July 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Quack, quack = lame duck Sarah

Posted by: stoc2000 | July 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

When the point guard passes the ball, the player is ready to cut towards the basket, grab an offensive rebound, or get back to play defense. The point guard doesn't quit. I still don't understand Gov. Palin's analogy. Perhaps because it is not an analogy. Perhaps, like most of the rest of what comes out of her mouth, it reflects a poor intellect and disorganized thinking. In the interest of full disclosure, I disagree with every policy utterance ever to pass her lips. There are, however, quite a few conservatives that I respect, though I may disagree with them. I have no respect for Gov. Palin because when she is not spouting purported arguments that are nothing more than gibberish, she is uttering banal pablum that views the world in terms of simple black and white rather than hundreds of shades of gray that demand serious thought and analysis.

Posted by: rosh400b | July 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Stop it with the Palin bashing. We have a President who thinks we have 57 states in the country, and a Speaker of the House who claims 500 million Americans are losing jobs every month. For the record, we only have 300 million or so Americans.

Every politician fumbles their words, some more than others. That doesn't really say anything about their ability to govern. I mean, really, did the president campaign in the other 7 states during the election?! Did those mystery states get him 270 electoral votes?

So please stop with the Palin bashing.

Posted by: dwdm | July 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Dione

Posted by: Prendv | July 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse "

No real comment, I was laughing so hard at this entry that I copied pasted on accident....

Palin is not appreciated, and with good reason - she is out of her league.

Posted by: Michael_A1 | July 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"Her basketball analogy is wrong. A good point guard keeps his or her eye on their defender and teamates - you don't need to keep your eye on the basket as it's the only thing on the court that doesn't move.
Posted by: dcCougar | July 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report ab"

[sarcasm on](just in case it's not obvious)
What if the basket gets possessed? It could move then, right? It might move to the right, you know, towards Russia, if you're looking south....
[sarcasm off]

Posted by: Michael_A1 | July 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Palin is actually quite consistent . She quit college 5 times before getting her degree -- in journalism, ironic for someone who demonizes the press and interviews so badly.

See:

Why quit as governor? Those sports metaphors at the end of Palin's speech explain it.

She obviously has a contract with the WNBA.

See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | July 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

mcarr4 wrote: "If Sarah Palin has a better opportunity, she has every right to step down as governor just as any other person who moves onto to another, better job."

Yes, but people sort of expect the governor to finsh the job they were elected to do. Like any other job, leaving unexpectedly like this may make it difficult to find employment with the same company. She's burning a bridge with the Alaskan people by quitting on them. That's why I think she will be moving to the lower 48 soon.

mcarr4 wrote: "Furthermore, with all the attacks on her family, like Letterman's comments about her daughter, and the comments about her baby all of which are just terrible, who would want to stick around and put up with that?"

Can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. And remember who brought those kids into the limelight, who put their faces in front of the cameras. How many elected officials do that to their children?

mcarr4 wrote: "Even if she just raises her family, she's not losing anything! Politics is a dirty business and I'm sure it took a lot of courage to step down probably more than what it would have taken to remain in office!"

I don't see any courage here. I see her having a better opportunity and she is dropping the responsibilities the people of Alaska entrusted her with and is jumping ship.

mcarr4 wrote: "Congratulations to her for having the courage not to put up with the ignorance of the masses!"

If there is ignorance anywhere it is not with the masses who would not vote for her and consider her out of her league. Hopefully she will understand it too and just fade away, but she says she is going to work "in another direction". No courage, just a better chance for the only person in the world that matters.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 6, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

What is scariest, among many other traits of ex-Gov. Palin, is the appeal her vapid, inaccurate, and confusing remarks have for the uneducated Right. Posters above saying that she should be on Fixed News are quite right, though she is not smart enough to keep up with Billo or Glenn Beck and would probably cause a ratings dip after an initial couple of weeks, even if she were to wear revealing clothes. Local weather is as high as she should really aim, after taking an oath to read, not write, the scripts. Why did McCain pick her? Because he couldn't take Lieberman? Surely there were better candidates around, even the adulterous governor of S. Carolina. Really, if Obama hadn't had enough going for him already after 8 disastrous years under Cheney, the pick of Palin would have been enough to finish off any GOP nominee.

Posted by: mmth42 | July 6, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I found even more interesting than the basketball analogy her statement that fish don't go with the flow. Wrong!

It is true that salmon will swim against the flow to go to their spawning grounds, but that is the exception. I assume that Palin is basing that analogy from her ability to 'see' Russia from her house (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Posted by: AMviennaVA | July 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank God I won't have to hear "First Dude" to describe her doofus husband again.

Posted by: JRM2 | July 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It is a waste of time to attempt to understand Palin because everything she says makes sense. This has been obvious for a long time.

It scares me to think that this screwball has a following that will find any reason to protect her. It frightens me even more to realize how many people in this country
would actually vote for her. Who are these idiots? How dumb is dumb?

Posted by: gfaigen | July 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

It is a waste of time of citizens to attempt to understand Palin. It is also a waste of time for any of the media. Nothing she ever said made sense.

would actually vote for her. Who are these idiots? How dumb is dumb?

Posted by: gfaigen | July 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

As usual E. J. Dionne's analysis is right on the nail. Sarah Palin is like the ingenue with star's in her eyes. All of the enthusiasm in the world, and depending upon her looks and charm to get the part.

Posted by: allset707 | July 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

During the presidential election campaign, sarah palin had an image of a popular, successful governor. She no longer has strong popular support in Alaska or a reputation as competent. Both have fallen away like the Wizard of Oz's curtain, exposing a very ordinary women whose mouth and ego are her main assets.

Posted by: tontosage | July 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"It made Richard Nixon’s famous “this is my last press conference” episode in 1962 look coherent, statesmanlike and carefully considered.

That’s why there cannot be any real debate over whether her strange and meandering statement hurt her: of course it did. " E.J.

Ah E.J. Nixon went on to be elected President twice!!!!

You can't change that history!!

Sarah will do you and all your communist friends real nasty soon!!

Posted by: hotdad14 | July 6, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

We Americans have suspected for quite some time now that Sarah Palin has very serious psychological problems. She more than proved that on Friday with that rambling, incoherent speech in her back yard. Clearly she needs professional help. A year or more in a secluded sanitarium would probably also be beneficial. Otherwise, she's likely to pull a Michal Jackson before long.

Posted by: dsrobins | July 6, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I know she's a crazy, apocalyptic Christian knucklehead, but damnit!...my pants go crazy every time I see her.

Posted by: danw1 | July 6, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the more important question is why anyone takes Kristol seriously anymore.

Posted by: bobskis | July 6, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't want anyone to think I'm making any questionable sexual innuendoes, but stick a fork in her, I think she's well past done. Now, if we can just get Chris Matthews and Bill Kristol to stop talking about her, maybe she'll shut up.

Posted by: harvey4 | July 6, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I guess this means we'll see her in next season's "I'm a celebrity get me out of here!"

Posted by: khimp | July 6, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

twin1958:

How can anyone take Palin seriously?
-------------------------------------------
Hey, if most of the brain-dead Liberals took a Community Organizer, without any good, practical experience and who sat in a RACIST, anti-American Church listening to a Hate-filled Reverend spew his garbage for 20 years, then YES, it will be easy to take Governor Palin seriously.

Palin/Romney 2012
Romney/Palin 2012

Either way is fine with me.

Posted by: priley8104 | July 6, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Did those mystery states get him 270 electoral votes?

So please stop with the Palin bashing.

Posted by: dwdm | July 6, 2009 2:28 PM
-------------------------------------------

Thank you! Actually Obama's "mystery votes" came from dead people enlisted by ACORN.

Posted by: priley8104 | July 6, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

How do you spell relief? - O B A M A O U T !!

What is that smell? BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

and the rest of the corrupt Chicago thugs, tax cheats and liars.

Posted by: priley8104 | July 6, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

IMBECILE sarah palin couldn't spell cat even if you were to spot the IMBECILE sarah palin the "c", the "a", and the "t".

When they were passing out bimbo and stupid sarah palin got back into line several dozen HUNDRED times!

Posted by: Archie_Leach | July 6, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The Peter Principal in action....

Posted by: ArlingtonVA1 | July 6, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to SILLY Sarah Failin' -- and this is coming from a fellow Republican.

Posted by: KYJurisDoctor | July 6, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how everyone clings to someone when they come into the spot light. Look at the picture and you will see that these women are so proud of themselves. They even say that they are great friends of her's because their kids were in the same elementary school. How about the so called Journalist that said that her sources close to Gov. Palin told them she is out of politics forever. Yeah not likely. I am waiting for this information to come from her mouth. As far as I see it, there are only a few article that can be used as being accurate because everyone wants the lime light, those are shown on www.AmericanParchment.com and I am interested in hearing her tomorrow on Fox. No I am not a Palin for President supporter, I want someone else, but I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt since the media has been trying to tear her apart since she became the possible VP.

Posted by: fastfacts | July 6, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it PT Barnum who said, "Never underestimate the intelligence of the American Public"? In a rational world, the best Sarah Palin could hope for would be stacking boxes (no offense to box-stackers intended) in a warehouse. But hey, this is America, where anything is possible. I don't mean that in a good way, unfortunately, for those of us with triple-digit IQs.

Posted by: LucyLou1 | July 6, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Gov Palin was jealous of all the attention that Gov Sanford was getting. Really, two such incredible speeches in a week can only be explained if one of them is a copy cat

Posted by: clcpeanut | July 7, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Not mentioned in this article is another messed-up metaphor where she claims "Todd and I know as commercial fishermen only dead fish go with the flow."
That is completely untrue and it should be readily apparent as the salmon they fish swim in with the tide and have forever...
She can't even buy a vowel and wouldn't know what to do with it if she could.
You folks are going to be highly and petulantly entertained when she leaves we Alaskans thankfully behind to freeze in the dark.
I'm looking forward to winter already.
Our long state-wide nightmare is nearly over,
too bad she's coming for you.

Posted by: volcanoman | July 7, 2009 4:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh, P.S. Our soon to be new Alaska Governor Parnell announced "She is the greatest gift ever from Alaska to the U.S."
I guess you'll be the judge of that one.

Posted by: volcanoman | July 7, 2009 4:15 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing that so many of you left-of-centerites have swallowed the media's parodies of Palin and confused them with reality. Sarah never said that Africa is a country. [surely South Africa is still a country, isn't it?]

Palin will get multi millions $$ for her autobiography. She decided, quite rightfully, that it is more ethical to write it while NOT being on the public payroll - Surely Obama, Hillary, Biden and many many others never gave any thought to the ethics of using publicly paid time for their private profiteering.

Palin has a huge audience and those who belittle her misunderstand her attraction as a political figure.

By the way, unlike Obama, Sarah knows that the USA has 50 states, not 58!

Posted by: Hazmat77 | July 7, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

hotdad14 wrote: "Ah E.J. Nixon went on to be elected President twice!!!! You can't change that history!! Sarah will do you and all your communist friends real nasty soon!!"

I find it incredible that conservatives here are touting Nixon, of all people, as the example Palin is following. How comforting. The only comparison is that both are tricky.

But Nixon was competent at being president and had the interests of all of America in mind. Nixon even ignored his secret service and went out to meet Vietnam protesters on the mall one night to learn about their protests. He opened China and knew the Soviets would not be our enemies forever.

For all the bad Nixon was he was at least competent to be president. He knew the job. Sarah has all his bad features but none of the competent ones. She didn't even know what the job of VP was. That is more than telling. She's only interested in the title and the power, not the job itself, which explains her quitting the job after the glitze was gone and it was just a job with hard work.

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 7, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"No I am not a Palin for President supporter, I want someone else, but I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt since the media has been trying to tear her apart since she became the possible VP."
Posted by: fastfacts

And how did the media "tear her apart"? Did the media make stuff up? Did they tell lies about her as were told about Obama? Was she born in America? Why have I not been shown her birth certificate?

No, the media simply held a microphone up to her and the rest was pure Palin:

"We realize that more and more Americans are starting to see the light there and understand the contrast. And we talk a lot about, OK, we're confident that we're going to win on Tuesday, so from there, the first 100 days, how are we going to kick in the plan that will get this economy back on the right track and really shore up the strategies that we need over in Iraq and Iran to win these wars?" --Sarah Palin, suggesting we are at war with Iran, FOX News interview, Nov. 1, 2008

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 7, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

It is the media that caused Palin to resign. Not the liberal mainstream media, rather is was Bill Kristol and the people at FOX News who lauded her so highly that the job of fixing Alaska's highways and managing the state's finances must have seemed beneath her.

I don't think Palin has a chance of becoming President, but her political career is far from over. She will be the star of the no-nothing branch of the GOP for years to come.

Posted by: abhuston | July 7, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I've been wondering what it is about SP that seems kind of familiar, but it wasn't until her resignation chat (seriously, you couldn't call her rambling a "speech") last week that it's finally come to me.

Lots of people on various chats have thought she was either paranoid or narcissistic. I don't think it's either of those -- I think she has Borderline Personality Disorder. I grew up with a parent with diagnosed BPD, and SP reminds me A LOT of my mother's patterns of behavior: thinking you're better or know more than you do, thinking that having some exposure to a topic or job or idea makes you an expert in that topic, job, or idea, thinking that because you are relatively intelligent means that you can do and accomplish anything -- without training, mentoring, etc., easily bored, easily able to go from idealizing someone to demonizing them (and back) at the drop of a hat -- provoked only by the other person's disagreeing with you, being very dramatic about things, going over the top to prove a point or make a statement, being vindictive and blaming everyone and everthing else for one's owns problems, etc.

You get the point. I see all the same things in SP that I've seen in my mother over the years.

It's hell being around and dealing with someone with BPD. Subjecting the country to her "leadership" would be a disaster. She appeals right now to the uneducated and superstitious among us. At some point she'll probably demonize them the way she has the "mainstream media", but who knows how long that will take?

I say keep the possibly mentally ill out of the White House or anywhere close to the Supremes, or The Button, or our allies, or our enemies.

Posted by: lanehatcher | July 8, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's the simple, undeniable truth: Palin didn't even have the talents to govern a barely populated state successfully. There is no way in hell she has what it takes to lead any nation, let alone a superpower. She was in over her head as soon as she left Wasilla. However, conservatives have a pretty low bar for their icons these days (Rush, Coulter, Savage, etc.), so she'll no doubt make a good living hawking books she didn't write, they'll have the pleasure of watching her struggle to form coherent sentences on Fox "News" and the nation is spared from her ever holding office again. Yay, everyone wins!

Posted by: War4Sale | July 8, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Excellent points E.J.

Posted by: EndTheSpin | July 8, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Barraquitter... the GOP's political Barbie doll!

Posted by: ferd666 | July 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how else to get this info to you, Mr. Dionne--but if you now go to the link on the Alaska Governor's web site, someone has edited Governor Palin's July 3 statement. For example, the dozens (and dozens) of UPPER CASE words have been changed to lower case, and some (but not all) the punctuation has been corrected.

The weird grammar and bizarre language (like the passages you quote) seem to still be there....

Bill Abendroth

Posted by: BillAbendroth | July 8, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Supercilious twit. This is exactly what you've wanted of her -- for her to go away, disappear.
And now you have it? You're ticked-off?!?
Hey, I'm sure no Republican, and am very pro-Choice, but I appreciate that this woman is no stereotype or packed product (can you say "Obama"? Or John Kerry? Et al.).
Am just hoping she doesn't run for anything in 2012, or probably even 2016. The press would love to slice her into little tiny pieces, while creeps like Letterman, Maureen Dowd while the entire demented bunch on the left would cheer...
I wish her well. Period

Posted by: frost1 | July 9, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

frost1:

Please. Sarah Palin is nothing but a terrible hick stereotype. Even coming from the South I don't put on my accent and spout colloquial catch phrases when I'm speaking to people in a crowd or on TV. They're crutches used by people with nothing to contribute to create an illusion that they are down to earth and like you. She's hollow and fairly void of anything. Definately not an actual woman like myself that takes her job seriously, her familial obligations seriously, and doesn't let what the internet says get to her seriously.

And I know exactly what people will say. "I'm jealous because she's pretty and more successful." Frankly from the shambles of her life I don't really want to be like her. I'm successful from just working my way out of poverty which is more than I can say for her work ethic. I like the direction my life is heading. I don't even find her that attractive either so I don't really get where people say she's hot. I guess it's because she's not in her 50's and 60's.

Posted by: mtcooley | July 9, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

She may have a future as an "author" (ghost-written) and a "speaker" (via teleprompter) and will make lots of money and be a hero to her fans. But she is simply too dumb, ignorant, and immature to ever compete with the likes of Coulter, Limbaugh, etc., who, despite what one might think about what they say, are astute, well-read, and hard-working.

Posted by: ferrellms | July 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse