Biden's Stirring Tribute to Ted Kennedy

With his tendency to open mouth and insert foot, Vice President Biden is the Dennis the Menace of the Obama administration. But the skill and passion that made him effective in the Senate and now a behind-the-scenes force in the West Wing was on full display this morning when he eulogized his friend, Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.).

Biden was supposed to be heralding the administration's push for energy independence at the department of energy. The event was shelved, but not before he delivered an emotional and stirring tribute. "He's left a great void in our public life and a hole in the hearts of millions of Americans and hundreds of us who were affected by his personal touch throughout our lives," said Biden, whose grief was etched in his face. "People like me, who came to rely on him. He was kind of like an anchor. And unlike many important people in my 38 years I've had the privilege of knowing, the unique thing about Teddy was it was never about him. It was always about you. It was never about him. It was people I admire, great women and men, at the end of the day gets down to being about them. With Teddy it was never about him."

With those words, Biden ensured that the reaction would not be about him but about the great man he and the nation will surely miss.

By Jonathan Capehart  | August 26, 2009; 2:04 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nifty 50
Next: No Will, No Way

Comments

Being a liberal, I'm sure what Kennedy would want everyone to realize is, it's not a bad thing to support America, or your fellow American.

Posted by: lindalovejones | August 26, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It is a dichotomy that we want our public leaders to be both eloquent and rehearsed. Sometimes in public office, the most heartfelt speeches are extemporaneous. Yes,
Joe Biden can be a gaff machine. But you cannot counterfeit grief.

Thank you, Vice President Biden for sharing your loss, so eloquently.

Posted by: cynthia3217 | August 26, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"YAWN"

Posted by: JWx2 | August 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I had fallen asleep with the set on after listening for a couple of hours on the death of Ted Kennedy. I awoke to Joe Biden's emotional tribute. It was heartfelt and real and I cried. Poor people, working people, sick people, soldiers, disenfrachised people had no greater friend in the United States Senate than Senator Edward M. Kennedy. I am so sorry to see him go. Safe sailing, Teddy, you will be missed.

Posted by: creatia52 | August 26, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I respect Ted Kennedy for doing what he believed, even though most of the time I disagreed with him. However, to me, character matters! Ted Kennedy fundamentally didn't have character or integrity and it failed him when he needed it most. We shouldn't forget the woman who died in his car, when he abandoned her to slowly drown after his car went off the road. Mary Jo Kopechne might have made contributions far greater than Ted Kennedy, but never had the chance due to Ted Kennedy's weakness and lack of courage.

There is a difference between being imperfect, which we all are, and letting a woman die because we were concerned about the political fallout of an accident. I've always been very disappointed in the voters of Massachusetts for continuing to vote for a person of such low character. Shame on them all!

Posted by: victor615 | August 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

wow how sanctimonious of you Victor615. Senator Kennedy atoned for that accident for 40 years. It was not 'character' or 'integrity' that made him leave the girl there. It was exhaustion, the recent loss of yet another brother and the 1968 election. But of course, someone with NO character or integrity can write a nasty comment to show how cool they are. Shame on YOU! Senator Kennedy worked for you whether you liked it or not and he will be missed.

Posted by: Mego1 | August 27, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Vice President Joe Biden is the perfect example of the benefits and pitfalls of wearing your heart on your sleeve. What we saw today was a beautiful, open, heartfelt tribute that was certainly worth any number of past gaffes. You don't get one without the other and the total package is definitely a net positive.

Biden's voice can be especially warm and refreshing in this otherwise buttoned-down, no drama administration. We know President Obama felt the way Biden sounded today, but it is neither appropriate to his own personality nor to his office to say it in that truly Bidenesque way. God bless Joe Biden.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | August 27, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

RIP Senator Kennedy and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows your dead.

Posted by: notthatdum | August 27, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Rest In Peace Edward,
Senator Kennedy gave me an opportunity to marry( by delaying my departure date), before I had to leave for Vietnam. To this day I have made sure that I would thank him in my thoughts as often as I see his name in the media, or other chances. Massachusetts has lost a wonderful Senator.
Thank You Mr. Kennedy

Posted by: rrannikko | August 27, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

...Senator Kennedy atoned for that accident for 40 years. It was not 'character' or 'integrity' that made him leave the girl there. It was exhaustion, the recent loss of yet another brother and the 1968 election...

Posted by: Mego1 | August 27, 2009 12:42 AM

******************************************

Oh, really? He was a married US Senator who was so exhausted by the loss of another brother and the 1968 election that he was drinking and partying with single women at a secluded resort house? And did he "atone" for that "accident" by spending time in prison? Did he "atone" by resigning from the Senate and dedicating his life to selfless service in a religious retreat or non-profit service organization?

Get real. He returned to the luxury and power of the most exclusive institution in the United States and went on to rape and ruin other lives until his friends and second wife finally confronted him about his boozing and womanizing. You Kennedy apologists would have us believe that this creep was a poor, grieving, and misunderstood young man who became a monk after realizing the errors of his ways. What a load of crap.

BTW, tell us again why he was too exhausted to call the police for over nine hours while the police report said that MJK might have lived for up to two hours in the sunken car before running out of air. Too exhausted although, by his own testimony, he returned to the accident site with friends before going back to his motel and sleeping it off?

Posted by: hisroc | August 27, 2009 2:57 AM | Report abuse

"...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..." John Donne. Someone has passed who spent the better part of his life working on legislation that has helped many people. He was just one man - imperfect as we all are. And while we are all imperfect, can we put aside our political feelings for a moment to recognize his passing? And to understand that Vice President Biden was giving voice to his loss?

Posted by: blaithin | August 27, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Could someone please tell me if President Obama ever took the time to personally visit the man who pretty much handed him the democrat nomination?

Biden's heartfelt tribute was touching, and reminded us all that with Kennedy it was never about him. I would like to know if President Obama sacrificed even 6 hours to fly up to Massachusetts to visit his ailing mentor. I know he had time to fly to New York for dinner and a show.

Posted by: christacooper | August 27, 2009 6:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: christacooper | ==========================================

Maybe Obama already had tickets for the show (ha ha ha).

It always amazes me how, no matter what the discussion is about there's always someone out there who wants to make the discussion about being an Obama hater.

Um Christa, this is not about Obama, it's about Kennedy and Biden.

Tsk tsk, you are such a hater....

Posted by: MUPPET | August 27, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dgurnee | August 27, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

some of you commentors sound like you were the gossip girls in school. I remember when Chapiquidick happened, it was horrible and tragic, and as a young woman I hated him for what he did. But as I grew and matured I realized we all did stupid things, some unforgivable, some not, we're all human, we all face our maker some day. We were all so clueless back then when it came to drinking and driving, tobacco addiction, and recreational drugs, and the consequences. Yes, Ted was a married man when it happened, but where was MJ's responsibility for being with him, partying with him and Bobby, and driving with a drunk? Nowadays, we tell our kids, phone if you need a ride from a party, don't ride with someone whose been drinking. Back then, no one even used seatbelts. Don't get me wrong, he should never have left her there, that was reprehensible, and we all know the Kennedy name saved him from jail time, but he carried that around for the rest of his life, and if anything good came of her tragic death, it probably gave him even more incentive to do good.

Posted by: katem1 | August 27, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I was quite touched at Joe Biden's words. It is obvious he felt a great deal for Ted Kennedy.

I would also like to say this:

"Those who are without sin, cast the first stone". "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

For those posting negative comments, who appointed you God? And please, let's not talk about "character". There are enough sinners on both sides of the aisle to go around. I won't name names, because for each Democrat's names you throw out, I can toss you a Republican name.

Posted by: MichelleKinPA | August 27, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

dgurnee: you are the one who is sickening.

Vice-President Biden has heart, unlike you. Stick with Rush. That is where your heart lies, and everyone knows how HE feels about the Kennedy's! Like Rush has ever done ANYTHING for our country, OR himself, besides make money!

My heart is with Senator Kennedy, and Vice-President Biden, and those of us who appreciate what Sen. Kennedy has done and tried to do for us up until the last moments of his life.

Just remember, Senator Kennedy did NOT have to work. He chose to work for the PEOPLE of our country, as has Joseph Biden. I thought his speech was poignant and sincere. You cannot fake that kind of emotion. It brought tears to my eyes, probably because I, too, have HEART!

Posted by: cashmere1 | August 27, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I love the President, but what a difference it is to hear him speak about Sen. Kennedy and to listen to Biden speak about Sen. Kennedy.

I wish the President would let his hair down more often and show more passion. Sometimes, the mood calls for passion instead of prose.

Posted by: scadolph | August 27, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Some of the hate and invective in these posts is disheartening. What would make you people say that?

Anyone who posts on this would be lucky to accomplish 1/100th of what he did. And I'm not a big fan, either, thanks to the permanent and giant stain on him as a person. Maybe he didn't atone for it as he should have, maybe he did: You don't know how it weighed on him or how it might have pushed him to get things done. And he probably knew that no matter the legislation he passed, it wouldn't make up for what happened. But still he tried.

Your pathetic grave-dancing may make you feel better. It will make no change. So, please, continue to snipe from the shadows. Lord knows I don't want people like you in public service.

Posted by: kvincent1 | August 27, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Those who come to these boards on occasions like this to continue making the political points they always make are the ones bound for hell. No compassion, no mercy, no thought of what is right or seemly, they continue to pour out vitriol hoping that they will make their political opponents feel bad.

Well, I feel bad, not because of what they say but because something good has gone out of the world. A giant has died and we are all less because of it. He was flawed, who among us isn't? Jesus said let him who is without sin cast the first stone. None of us is without sin and yet the stones still get thrown without any regard at all for civility or propriety. For those posting the nasty stuff here, when you die, I hope that no one says a word, one way or the other, The silence would be a comment on the quality of the life you led. Hollow echoing emptiness.

Posted by: robertmerry | August 27, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scadolph
---------------------------------------
People grieve differently. Biden's tribute to Kennedy was very touching and made most of us stand still and perhaps shed a tear, but that's Biden--remember when he became emotional during the VP debate when speaking about losing his wife; also, Kennedy was with him every step of the way (as stated by Biden) during that very emotional time in his life. Obama on the other hand handles grief a little differently. Think about when he lost his grandmother; he gave a very eloquent speech the same day and you saw one tear escape down his cheek. That wasn't his presidential performance, it was how he grieves. I know this, because that's how I grieve. We do it internally; actually it's much more painful this way, but it is what it is. It's not to save face or to appear cool, it's just how we grieve. I recently lost my brother at a relatively young age. I have 4 sisters, and we all grieved differently during our loss...one who is full of drama most of the time was falling out all over the place; while I know she was actually grieving, I honestly believe that her actions were more geared at drawing attention to herself for pity; another sister who was more like a mother--she was just a ball of tears; she would break down at the mere mentioning of my brother's name...another sister went on a shopping spree; that's what she does when she's going through an emotional issue; myself, I felt like my heart had been torn out of my chest and it was difficult for me to breathe, but on the outside, I was almost emotionless; I was clear headed in my thoughts and my speech, but while I appeared focused, I was really in and out in my thoughts. We all lost our youngest and only male sibling, but we dealt with the lose all differently.

Ted Kennedy will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to his family, because I know the grief that they are enduring. I heard a commentary yesterday that truly summed up his life..."he was a giver, not a taker in life." Rest in Peace Edward Kennedy; you will be missed dearly in this sometimes mean old world, but you're in God's hands now. My condolences to his family.

Posted by: Beingsensible | August 27, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The singular thing that becomes the most glaringly obvious to any human being, when reading these posts, is that the right-wing has cornered the market on hatred, cynacism, and ignorance in this nation. If this is the intention of the Republican party, then it has succeeded fabulously.

Posted by: Doowadiddy | August 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

kvincent1,

I agree whole-heartedly. I really hope that our town halls, state congress, governorships, state senators, judges, nor police officers harbor the kind of venom these "dark shadowed" people harbor.

This country is great because people stood up against these kinds of dark vadors. It is time for all of us to take our country back and I must say "I don't like you using your venom to get your point across!!!"

Let's be civil with our conversation and honor our heroes else go to Proverbs and remember that sometimes it's better just to keep your mouth shut because people will realize your foolishness.

Posted by: ronhamp | August 27, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Simply to state: when you make "BEING OF SERVICE" your life's mission (it was not in the foretold plan for Edward Kennedy to be President of the U.S.), it will NEVER be "about you". Sentences don't begin with "I"; the possessive "mine" is always "ours"; "privilege" gives way to "rights". It's not about YOU; it's about US.

Posted by: mukazzi | August 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

To the poster who wrote that Biden was "plum sickening" with is comments about the passing of Ted Kennedy and only did it make news -- my God, they were friends for close to 40 years and served in the Senate together for almost that long. People who didn't even know Kennedy personally are upset by his death, can you just imagine how his friends and family feel? It would have been inappropriate for Joe Biden NOT to have made a statement about his friend's death.

Posted by: creatia52 | August 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Capehart can't you do a gays in the military piece or something ? Americans are dyingon foreign soil and the rats don't seem to care .

Posted by: borntoraisehogs | August 27, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Sen Kennedy was first an American than anything else. Biden's comments show the real respect the departed Senator enjoyed. Biden's comments are touching the heart because what he said was the real truth and nota political truth.
Let all work together to get the health reforms bill pass as a true tribute to the great man.

Posted by: dvsikka | August 27, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"That man is unbelieveable. What he won't do or say to get in the news. He is plum sickening."

Posted by: dgurnee | August 27, 2009 7:30 AM

~~~~It shows that Biden has HEART! It certainly beats shooting your best friend in the face, sleeping it off all night before reporting it to anyone, not the authorities, not the President.... bush!
It shows C H A R A C T E R!! The Draft Dodger CHENEY DODGES again!!

Cheney's "friend" had a heart attack right afterwards, had buckshot removed from his face and neck, and to this day still has some remaining there!

Some people are such fools, it is astonishing! They can find fault ONLY in their enemies!

Posted by: cashmere1 | August 27, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Dear Victor615, character is being able to admit you were wrong (no matter how late your confession) and to move on to do good for others. Don't you think Mr. Kennedy lived the rest of his live with the death of Ms. Kopechne heavily on his heart? Be that as it may, he went on to do good and gave his best and his all, to help others. Forgiveness is also a part of one's character and if you, Victor615, are a person of character yourself, it is time for you to fogive Mr. Kennedy, as the people of Massachusetts did, many years ago.

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | August 27, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Gee....some "lion":

Mary Jo was in the back seat and, while he claimed he was just giving her a lift back to her hotel, it was widely thought that he had picked her up for sex. Kennedy swam ashore to save himself, but left Mary Jo to drown - in fact, it was even worse than that.

It was nine hours before he reported the accident. In the meantime, he walked back to his motel, complained to the manager about a noisy party, took a shower, went to sleep, ordered newspapers when he woke up and spoke to a friend and two lawyers before finally calling the police.

Mary Jo's mother later said: 'I don't think he ever said he was sorry.'

Posted by: moonchild64 | August 27, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Let us hope that the final legacy of Ted Kennedy is that we get universal health coverage soon so that trippermeow, dgurnee and the rest of them can get the mental health treatment they need.

Posted by: stantheman1 | August 27, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

About five years ago I found myself in a remote corner of the Kennedy Center where I was about to attend a Christmas performance. Ted Kennedy was there, alone with a couple of small children, each about four years old. He had his back to me, but I recall that he was praising one of them for being so generous for giving up something that was important to her to give to the other. He said he was proud of her. He was emphatic to her about how good it is to do thoughtful things for other people. Sometimes you wonder whether these politicians say and believe the same things when the cameras aren't on them and they're in a private setting. This experience showed me that Ted Kennedy was the real deal. I'm going to miss him.

Posted by: Menidia | August 27, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It was my pleasure to watch Senator Kennedy working with colleagues on the other side of the aisle during one of my visits to the Senate. He was gracious and hard working.

His empathy for the less fortunate in America was well known, and he will be sorely missed by those people and those who share his views.

Although the president seems a little cold at times, remember that he did not know the senator as long as the vice president did.

Posted by: eleanorshumaker | August 27, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

You know what is so sickening-

Comments like this:

(And did he "atone" for that "accident" by spending time in prison? Did he "atone" by resigning from the Senate and dedicating his life to selfless service in a religious retreat or non-profit service organization?)

Now- same people like this are condoning Torture.

Condone infinite lies and distortion, cruel behavior , and UNCONSTITUTIONAL Executive Signing orders of their own party as GOOD!

This is the mentality of these people.

The mentality of these people is incredible.

The WORLD BLAMES them for MASS DESTRUCTION

GLOBAL MASS DESTRUCTION- but they are ok!

Now I want anyone of these so-called Christians to tell us about their GOD!

I want these so called Christians to tell us how perfect their C-Street Christianity is so righteous!

Tell us all you CHRISTIANS!

, and the infinite

Posted by: sasha2008 | August 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The comments made by the Vice President were heartfelt and wholly justified for the loss of his friend. His pain was there for all of us to see. I personally appreciated his comments because sometimes we think that politicians have nothing other than ideology running in their veins. Senator Kennedy touched so many people's lives in a positive and human way and it is a shame that many bloggers and pundits are using his death as another ideological tool.

Posted by: Thinking4 | August 27, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, there sure are some crackpots out there.

Don't worry, sasha2008. Ted's vision of universal health care will finally come into being and your mental health needs will be met.

Posted by: Menidia | August 27, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"The singular thing that becomes the most glaringly obvious to any human being, when reading these posts, is that the right-wing has cornered the market on hatred, cynicism, and ignorance in this nation. If this is the intention of the Republican party, then it has succeeded fabulously.

Posted by: Doowadiddy | August 27, 2009 9:39 AM |"

Couldn't have possibly said it better.

Posted by: mtravali | August 27, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

For Biden, of all people, to say about Kennedy that, unlike almost everyone else in politics, it was never about him, reveals one of the things I've always appreciated about Biden: his self-deprecation.

I think.

Posted by: abqcleve | August 27, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It never fails. The accomplished pass from this earth and the slimy ones ooze out from under their rocks to denigrate. The list this year is almost endless. Clairborne Pell, Paul Harvey, Jack Kemp, Walter Cronkite, Robert Novak and Eunuce Shriver just to name a few. All have been denigrated by the primordial ooze collective. Never mind that the Ted Kennedy's of this world
do more in one hour than that collection of misfits accomplish in the sum total of their entire existence. But no matter the media is no better. In a few days Ted Kennedy's name will pass from these and other pages as happened to the others but who's name will still be there? The supreme societal misfit, Michael Jackson with his cadre of worshippers still fawning and weeping over someone who was so unhappy he desecrated his own body.

Posted by: weseustice | August 27, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Many of those who worked with Senator Kennedy over these past years, who knew him personally, Democrats, Republicans and others, have attested to his decency, his humbleness, his hard work to help others less fortunate. Yet among us are those who never knew him feel free to blithly cast stones at his reputation. Are those who cast aspersions so small or so pure to judge someone they know very little? One comment yesterday struck me. Many commented on how much he drank yet one said, upon knowing all that Kennedy had experienced, was responsible for, was burdened with, was supprised how little he drank. Ted Kennedy was a great anchor for his family, for the people of his State and for the nation. Yet he was all too human, making his share of mistakes as well as enduring far more than his share of personal tragedy. A great Senator. A great American.

Posted by: HarryR | August 27, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

HarryR,

Your statement "Let he is without sin cast the first stone" which was delivered by Jesus Christ falls on deaf ears to many during this day.

Even with the teachings that have been provided us as captured in the Old & New Testaments, there are still too many that would crucify our Lord and Savior all over again.

"Judge ye not for ye will be judged accordingly."

Posted by: ronhamp | August 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Lest ye forget... "the Right Wing has cornered the market on hatred..... the Right Wing has cornered the market on hatred..... the Right Wing has cornered the market on hatred"....... yet they are hypocrital enough to call themselves CHRISTIANS! They are so quick to denigrate and put down the goodness in people who are not Republicans, yet overlook the slime, scum, sleaziness and corruption of their own...... including themselves!

Senator Kennedy, just like his brothers Jack and Bobby, and his sisters, have ALL dedicated their lives to helping others, and they will live on forever.

Yes, so will Michael Jackson. He, like Senator Kennedy, did a lot of good in the world, while suffering from the abusive childhood at the hands of his ruthless father. He resorted to drugs, unable to handle the heartaches in his life. Yes, he caused his own death by not seeking help for his addiction.

Senator Kennedy had his own heartaches. It seems that his whole life was one big heartache, dealing with one tragedy after the other. Yes, he abused alcohol But NEVER did he stop working for the GOOD of th poor and the needy. He fought for what was right and just up until the very last breath he took. He made mistakes, and admitted them, unlike so many others.

HE was a winner that we have just lost. My heart goes out to his very large and loving family.

Posted by: cashmere1 | August 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Victor615 - most people agree with your assessment of Ted Kennedy's failure in running from the accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne. I surely do. What I don't think you realize is that Ted Kennedy probably recognized that shortcoming as much as anyone, and spent the rest of his life trying to pay off the debt. Nothing he did could return her to life but he certainly dedicated himself to public service.

Posted by: humbleandfree | August 27, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Certainly have sympathy for members of the Kennedy family, but the lionizing of the man is going too far.
Perhaps we should overlooking his cheating scandal at Harvard College, being kicked out of the prestigious Cambridge college for cheating on an exam. Somehow he managed to get back in. His joining the Army to polish his image, but then avoided the Korean War (with a “little help from his friends” and his family?).
But surely you recall that, on the night of July 18, 1969, Senator Kennedy (a married man), drove his car, under the influence of alcohol, and with was Mary Jo Kopechne (an unmarried 39 year woman) who was born in Wilkes Barre, and was a member of the office staff of Robert F. Kennedy. The inebriated Senator Kennedy then drove off the bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, into the water.
And I would think that you have not forgotten that Senator Kennedy then saved himself and fled the scene, leaving Mary Jo trapped in the car, to die a horrible death (what kind of monster could do that? You are a married Senator; could you have done that?).
Surely you, a lawyer, you must remember the subsequent by the Senator and his circle doing everything possible to alter the evidence of that fatal event.

Posted by: rdeym | August 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rdeym | August 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rdeym | August 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rdeym | August 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Certainly I have sympathy for members of the Kennedy family, but the lionizing of the man is going too far.
Perhaps we should overlooking his cheating scandal at Harvard College, being kicked out of the prestigious Cambridge college for cheating on an exam. Somehow he managed to get back in. And, lets forget his joining the Army to polish his image, but then avoiding the Korean War (with a “little help from his friends” and his family?).
But surely we cannot overlook that, on the night of July 18, 1969, Senator Kennedy (a married man), drove his car, under the influence of alcohol, and with him was Mary Jo Kopechne (an unmarried 39 year woman) who was a member of the office staff of Robert F. Kennedy. The inebriated Senator Kennedy then drove off the bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, into the water.
And I would think that we should not forget that Senator Kennedy then saved himself and fled the scene, leaving Mary Jo trapped in the car, to die a horrible death (what kind of monster could do that? Do you think that Joe Biden, a married man could or would have done that?).
Surely we must also remember the subsequent efforts by the Senator and his circle doing everything possible to alter the evidence of that fatal event.
And possibly we should not overlook the well known womanizing by the Senator which drove his then wife into the hell of alcoholism, and he walked away from her, also.

So, attempts to lionize the Senator might rub many the wrong the way and make them think that the person doing the lionizing approved of the Senator's conduct.

May God Have Mercy On His Soul!

Posted by: rdeym | August 27, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Had the distinct pleasure of hearing Boss Limbaugh make a pathetic fool of himself during my lunch break today, as he proceeded to read a purported story about Senator Kennedy attempting to hump a waitress ("waitress sandwich") at a drunken soiree in the '80s. This after claiming credit for his "restraint" yesterday.

You have to hand it to Limbaugh: unlike the other blowhards in right wing radio, he's always very careful to cover his tracks on the more scurrilous of his charges by reading and attributing them to others.

What a weasel.

Posted by: abqcleve | August 27, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

'May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again,
May God hold you
In the palm of his hand.'

Fair winds and following seas, Senator Kennedy. Early and mid-afternoon on a work day people of all ages are coming out and lining up to say goodbye and thank you for touching their lives.

'...the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die. - Senator Eward M. Kennedy, 1932-2009

Good heartfelt remembrance Mr. Vice-President.

Posted by: Gracefulboomer | August 27, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I never met the man, but he was my friend. He looked after my interests while most others in government were/are indifferent or worse. I believe his tragically poor judgment one night in 1969 originated in the pain of personal tragedies that most of us cannot even imagine, and was ignited by the alcohol he used to kill his pain. The whole of the man is far, far more than the events of one tragic night.

As for those of you who hurl invective against the man, I wonder how well your own morality could stand the light of day...let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Posted by: al2009 | August 28, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

"Possibly, naming that God awful, "kill the aged" and "pay for killing the unborn babies" Health Bill after the Senator,would be appropriate, because it does reflect his (a catholic)thinking.

May God Have Mercy On His Soul!

Posted by: rdeym | August 27, 2009 4:06 PM"

I think you should worry about your own soul. Spreading lies to prevent people from having fair and affordable access to health care isn't exactly the way to the Pearly Gates. Last time I read the Bible, Jesus was pretty busy healing the sick...that is, when he wasn't railing against the hypocrites....

Posted by: al2009 | August 28, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

everyone can find a personal gripe to express after any event...V.P. Biden's speech was touching and i felt truly from his heart....he didn't ask anyone to "judge" Sen. Kennedy...and thankfully so...none of us can "walk on water" and judge others....thank you, Mr. Biden...I was touched by your tribute to your friend.

Posted by: grannielu6 | August 28, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Poetic irony. I wonder who's speech joe plagiarized to give to the guy who got kicked out of Harvard for cheating on his exams?

Posted by: carlbatey | August 28, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

If Democrats want to stay in the middle of the road, why do the keep sticking with Ted Kennedy? Didn’t he have some trouble staying in the middle of the road?

Teddy Kennedy crawls out of Boston Harbor with a quart of scotch in one pocket and a pair of pantyhose in the other, and party leaders hail him as their party’s leader.

It’s not as if Democrats can say: Okay, okay! The man paid a price! Let it go! He didn’t pay a price. The Kopechine family paid a price. Kennedy weaved away scot-free (not scotch free).

Posted by: jshatz2 | August 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Among other schools, Kennedy attended Fessenden School, and later the private Milton Academy, earning only C grades. He was admitted to Harvard University as a "legacy", due to his his father and older brothers having attended there. In 1951, Kennedy was expelled from Harvard for cheating, having paid a classmate to take a Spanish test for him. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, worked with the Boston Globe's top political editor on how to blunt the impact of this revelation. His father further advised him to refrain from cheating, stating, "you're clever enough." After his expulsion, Kennedy enlisted in the United States Army, receiving no special treatment according to his sergeant, but his father worked to keep his son out the Korean War. Instead, in 1952 Kennedy was assigned to the NATO honor guard in Paris, France.[4] Kennedy failed to advanced beyond the rank of Private, and upon being discharged he returned to Harvard, subsequently graduating in 1956. Kennedy also graduated from the University of Virginia law school in 1959, where he was the winner of the William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition.[5][6] Harvard University later bestowed an honorary degree on Kennedy when he was 76-years-old, with Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer providing featuring remarks, and a performance by cellist Yo-Yo Ma

Posted by: joelevin | August 28, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Rush has done more in one day for America than Ted Kennedy ever could because Rush believes in an constitutional America unencumbered by government, not every aspect controlled by it. Creating entitlement programs that sink all of us deeper in debt and letting government controll our lives is NOT an improvement. The kicker is, Rush is what we used to call an "average" american that knew history and loved a free America above all, that's all. I wish that people with the "False God" syndrome would wake up and get some psyciatric help before publically lifting someone up higher than themselves.

Posted by: pixamusmaxamus | August 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

SENATOR TED KENNEDY WAS A VERY WONDERFUL MAN YET SENATOR THRU THE WHOLE U.S. HE SERVED FOR 10 U.S. PRESIDENTS MANY MORE THAN OTHERS HAD DONE. HE SURELY HAD STRONG POWER FOR THOSE OF US HERE IN THE U.S. HELPED OUT MANY ESPECIALLY AS FOR HEALTH INSURANCE. HE SHALL ALWAYS BE KNOWN AS A DEAR MAN WHOM DEDICATED VERY LOTS OF THINGS HE DID WHEN SERVING IN SENATE OFFICE. MAY GOD BE WITH HIM AS HE NOW RESTS IN PEACE. GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS SENATOR TED KENNEDY. I SHALL MISS YOU VERY MUCH AS WELL AS MY MOTHER ANN SHALL DO THE SAME.JOAN PLEFKA

Posted by: joplefka | August 29, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I watched Biden's speech last night at the celebration of Kennedy's life but I can in all honesty say it was nice but no better or worse than everyone who spoke there last night. The whole evening and everyone who spoke did so from the heart. I thought the most touching was the ending part of the speech by Orin Hatch. Now that brought tears to my eyes along with a few others.

Posted by: justmyvoice | August 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden is very good at giving heart warming speeches--many I have enjoyed as this one.

I do wish that people would stop with Ted and his car accident cause we don't the truth we were not there. We should realize he and 2 brothers were stopped in the tracks of being president and none of that is just coincidence in my opinion. How strange 3 brothers are stopped from being president.

Every time a democrat gets in office there is horrendous lies that are born about the person.

Posted by: mac7 | August 30, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The US Constitution and American People have lost their fiercest advocate and truest friend. The US Senate and the American People must now hold his torch high or be forever darkened and diminished by his absence.

To those who spew vile comments at this media site, thanks for once again demonstrating why the republican party, its' leadership, constituency, and agenda have been proven vastly unworthy of the American People, Our Flag, and our National Destiny.

Moreover, the republican party, its' leadership and agenda have long been proven to be miserable failures and a hideous blight upon our Nation.

So vast and onerous is the republican failure, that it will surely take the remaining years of the next decade before the latest republican disaster of government is repaired, as always, by competent Democratic leaders and competent Democratic governance committed to the good of the American People.

To those who continue to spew lies and misinformation at this site and elsewhere in the news media, you should know that most of the smart people have never been fooled by you or your lies. You have long been recognized as the enemy of truth and therefore the enemy of Our US Constitution and the American People.

As the tangible consequences of recent republican governance continue to wreak havoc upon our national economy, even the most trusting citizens can clearly see the continuing damage resulting from criminally incompetent republican rule. This is the truth that can no longer be hidden or ignored by the mainstream media.

The republican coalition of the rich and the stupid has finally become untenable. If the truth prevails, the future, once again, will belong to the American People not global corporations and their vile republican propagandist lackeys.

The enemies of Senator Kennedy and our President are truly the enemies of our Nations economic future and Mankind itself.

They will never prevail.

Posted by: MrTruth | August 31, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Laura Bush also killed someone with her car, she drove through a stop sign, hit another car and killed the boy (whom she knew from school.) She was never brought up on charges. Manners, people,
you should not speak ill of the dead.
Senator Kennedy will always be remembered for his compassionate, hard work.

Posted by: newsjunkie4ever | August 31, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"I don't know if you know this or not, but one of his favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, "have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick?" That is just the most amazing thing. It's not that he didn't feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too."

Ed Klein, a former editor at Newsweek and the New York Times and author of "Ted Kennedy: The Dream That Never Died" on "The Diane Rehm Show," on Washington's WAMU-FM

And this from the noted right wing rag Newsweek:

The particulars of Chappaquiddick are especially gory; his behavior after the accident approaches the amoral. Once he broke free and swam to the surface, Kennedy said that he dove back down seven or eight times to rescue Kopechne. Failing, he swam back to shore and checked back into his hotel, and a short time later lodged a noise complaint with the desk clerk. The people in the room next to his were partying and it was interfering with his sleep. Then he asked the desk clerk for the time.

According to the Aug. 4, 1969 edition of Newsweek, that clerk, Russell E. Peachey, told Kennedy it was 2:25 a.m., then asked, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No, thank you," Kennedy replied.

Posted by: kohnfjerry | August 31, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

In response to Mr. Truth who wrote:

Mr. Truth, your own words are no better than some of those same ones you ridicule.

Posted by: justmyvoice | August 31, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

in response to justmyvoice.

Go back over the right wing comments on this or any blog. You will find that most are devoid of merit (like yours!) and/or vastly despicable. The same can be said for your failed incompetent republican leadership and agenda.

Posted by: MrTruth | September 1, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Only the most liberal and dumbest president in the history of this nation can say: "We loved this kind and gentle hero." Or, only the obnoxious Joe Biden can so praise an American senator who possessed the worst and most craven character. Edward Kennedy had no character (Chappaquiddick). The Kennedys are an embarrassment to the United States. How many elections did Joe Kennedy purchase? How many episodes of venereal disease does it require to garner an eternal flame? About how many families in the U.S. do you read that the father and sons shared the same women? All noble traits which certainly should be praised.

Posted by: david-mckenzie | September 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Barf. When was the last time the Post celebrated a drunk driver who left the scene of a crime where someone drowned?

Shame on the Post and shame on Capeheart.

Posted by: bug45 | September 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Biden quote:
"Pople like me, who came to rely on him"
Close quote.

As is in.
At hifg noon I could go down the hall to Teds office and always find a fith of Irish whisky.

Biden is sad, becouse he just lost one of his top drinking partners.

Posted by: dashriprock | September 1, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Biden looks kindly on the dead. He wanted to see Iraq (as we know it) dead.

I do not like his Iraqi-type kindness.

Posted by: zero1 | September 1, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse