The vast Palin conspiracy

Sarah Palin is the beneficiary of the vast left-wing conspiracy.

Palin is selling a book. Nothing sells books like attention. Lefties love to attack Palin. Attacks create more attention for Palin and her book. I suspect she will show as much gratitude to her critics as she has shown to the person who made her, John McCain.

This thought occurred to me in the midst of Palin-mania because of something my colleague Ezra Klein said Monday. Ezra and New York Times columnist Ross Douthat kindly visited my Politics and the Media class at Georgetown for their second annual chat with my students about the blogosphere. (Good conservative he is, Ross, a very early blogger, said he waged war against the word “blog” -- and lost.)

Ezra made the point -- I’m paraphrasing -- that any political Web site that wanted to goose its traffic needed only to mention Palin. I am sure, for example, that this blog post will get more attention than my more substantial earlier post on reapportionment. The Palin Effect works for political sites left, right and center. That is why we will be seeing way too much about Sarah Palin in the coming days. Palin is good for business. (I shouldn’t complain: This phenomenon is why her publisher kindly sent me a copy of her book, which I was reluctant to buy myself.)

I noticed Kate Snow’s report on ABC News’ website about a conference call that McCain held with his top aides. Snow quoted an aide describing the call this way: “He apologized to everyone on the call for people having to go through this. Said something like ‘You are all my dear friends. This will pass. It’ll pass faster if everyone will just stay out of it.’”

Actually, I am still waiting for McCain’s apology to the rest of the country for putting Palin on his ticket in the first place and subjecting us to all of this. My first reaction to the choice in 2008 was to note its “breathtaking recklessness.” McCain has already paid a big price for that. But the rest of us will keep on paying. Palin will get much richer -- thanks in significant part to that awful, left-wing media she will keep attacking. And those attacks will sell more books. If only it were this easy for GM.

By E.J. Dionne  | November 17, 2009; 4:57 PM ET
Categories:  Dionne  | Tags:  E.J. Dionne
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Progressive America, conservative France?
Next: On Gerson's takedown of Attorney General Holder

Comments

Mr. Dionne accurately spotlights that the Repulican Party is responsible for creating and nurturing Mrs. Palin who is merely the twin to Paris Hilton of Hollywood, CA.

First, Mrs. Palin is defeated in Election 08.
Second, she quits being the Republican Governor of Alaska to earn 5 million for writing a gossip tell-all.
And her third major fiasco was the failure of her New York campaign in Election 09 in which she blackballs a female Republican candidate.

Many conservative Talking Heads have published that these "achievements" put her on the road to the White House. Why would any Republican come to that conclusion when they know that three Fs do not equal an A average?
"Say it ain't so, Joe!"

We all need to pray that she'll also quit National Politics before she turns Washinton D.C. into a three-ring circus.

Adam of CA.

Posted by: AdamYoung2 | November 17, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"Say it isn't so Dionne" Seem the newspapers still don't get it. The average reader is 55 and above, yet you go after conservative women. My guess you like the Newsweek Cover.
This is why I spot buying newspapers. Its pretty sad how left the news has become. What every happened to journalism?

Posted by: javaprogrammers12345 | November 17, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Palin? I guess it is good that you libs now have this Palin Anxiety Derangement Disorder.

It will draw the heat off of any real Republican Candidates. -Should one happen to materialize before 2012.

Posted by: rexreddy | November 17, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Sarah, you are awesome! Somehow you are able to stay in the news. I love your views and I love your spunkiness. You are honest and you walk the talk. You are very attractive not only on the outside, but also on the inside. Americans can appreciate this, obviously, as your book is a huge success. Congratulations on your success. I know there are millions of good Americans just like you that are too busy to get involved. You are heroic to me because you are normal and got involved. The spotlight has not ruined you. as it does to so many. May you continue to push your conservative views. It is much appreciate by so many of us that are the working people. We are so busy working so we can give all our profits to Obama and so he can squander it to make himself look good. May more people like Palin come forward so that our country will not be trashed by the left and their economically suicidal ideas. God bless America! You know we need it.

Posted by: luzandrob | November 17, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"Nothing sells books like attention."

That's OK. Nothing kills a bad product faster than advertising, and SP is advertising herself - and the extreme wing of the Republican party.

All you Plain supporters: do buy and READ the book. Get well-versed on her positions on major issues. Share them with us. Show us her intellect, as you perceive it.

We await.

Posted by: hewhoasks | November 17, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

The harsh truth about Palin.Palin is an honest,experianced,accomplished leader.Obama is a corrupt liar in an empty suit who's complete lack of leadership,integrity or concern for anything but his own political future is ruining our economy,job markets,and putting
our troops and national security at risk.

Posted by: mikem12 | November 17, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"Palin was far more qualified than the man/child who is not running the white house or anything but his next campaign.

Posted by: mikem12 | November 17, 2009 7:02 PM "
-------
...and then you awoke from your Fox-induced coma

Posted by: JRM2 | November 17, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

The libs are so afraid of Sarah Palin that they become hysterical when her name is brought up. They try to dismiss her as a nothing, nobody with no brains and absolutely no chance of being anyone... BUT.. they scream insults..They are terrified of her and what she makes them look like in comparison...their suits are all empty and the libs are caught on a sinking ship with no captain and a crooked crew.They're scared more people will follow her and abandon their pie in the sky fantasy of a socialist nirvana paid for by others. They won't laugh or even smirk in 2012.

Posted by: jstratt2 | November 17, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The beauty of it be: We can vote and hold an opinion in any respectable democracy we live in. Astoundingly I and others have never yet to hear as to how or why John McCain found and selected Sarah Palin as a running mate? Take nothing away from McCain, his background proves himself. On the other hand there is a loose cannon (now an author) still on the deck. Obama is a breath of fresh air badly needed.

Posted by: NW_of_Van | November 17, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

javaprogrammers12345 wrote:

"Say it isn't so Dionne" [sic] Seem [sic] the newspapers still don't get it. The average reader is 55 and above, yet you go after conservative women. [Plural?] My guess you [sic] like the Newsweek Cover [sic]. This is why I spot [sic] buying newspapers. Its [sic] pretty sad how left the news has become. What every [sic] happened to journalism?"

Wow.

Posted by: american_in_canada | November 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

One time Gerald Ford spoke at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor. A member of the audience stood up and called Ford a fascist. The man was removed from the crowd, and Ford went on to give a little talk on Fascism. The incident was reported on the papers at the time.
Several years later, a researcher was going through Ford documents at the Gerald Ford library in Ann Arbor. He discovered that the entire "situation" was staged by Ford and his advisors.
Carl Bernstein once reported on the intelligence community's infiltration in the nation's major media. Perhaps this is simply another set up. It certainly allows Ms. Palin certain "feminist" credibility - something she lacked in the last campaign.

Posted by: mangograss | November 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

mangograss - hey I remember that incident! I was in the audience that day as a recently minted U of M graduate.

Posted by: caebling | November 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caebling | November 17, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I am looking forward to reading her next book, "Going Topless."

Posted by: hamishdad | November 17, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

she's hot.

Posted by: mock1ngb1rd | November 17, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I am enjoying watching Palin tear the GOP apart. Her fanatical, back-flogging religious pilgrimage base thinks her waste smells like roses, and they will follow her off any cliff she chooses. The smaller, sane and educated end of the party - the part that knows Africa is a continent and not a country - knows America would never be stupid enough to consider her presidential material.

They will inevitably eat each other. "Bon appetit!" is all I can say.

Posted by: B2O2 | November 17, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Palin is like so many women and it's why they can relate. Not the liberal women who mostly reside in the big city and who mostly need an entitlement state to survive. I am talking about working women either outside the home, inside the home, or both. My 16 year old niece once said she hates Sarah Palin, but she could not tell me why. My niece adores her aunt, my wife. I told her if she hates Sarah, she must hate her aunt as the two women are very much alike. Both raise kids and work outside the home. Both support charitable causes. Both have strong family values. And both smaller government, a strong defense, and personal responsibility.
The man child in the WH is ashamed of America and wants to see a weaker and he is doing a good job both on both the domestic and foreign fronts.
Be scared libs, be very scared. No matter what you say about Palin, just makes her stronger. Can't you see how much stronger she is now then she was as a Governor or as the VP on the ticket? Please continue to try to destroy her, as you are only making her stronger.

Posted by: steve90 | November 17, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

So, EJ, you're into sexism now. Sorry, I forgot; it's only sexist if the woman is a leftwing twit. Rightwing women are fair game.

While I'm not a big Sarah fan, your piece may cause me to re-examine my position. I'll bet Sarah could kick your bony butt into the middle of next week. You could become the Bobby Riggs of the limp-wristed columnist set.

Posted by: neilwied | November 17, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Keep pounding Palin E. J.

Keep feeding that energy. You give life where you and the rest of the liberal media say there is an empty suit.

If she is not a threat, why pay all this attention to her?

Posted by: jrealty | November 17, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a lot about NOTHING. Why is the media putting so much energy into this woman's book. In my personal opinion she is not important and has close to No credibility. Let it go!

Posted by: rsn2000 | November 17, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is a sick, pathetic liar. Take her book, paragraph by paragraph aganist the facts and she is not intelligent, not schooled in foreign policy, definately not qualified for any national office.

Oprah is a skilled interviewrer and was very generous to Palin. Of course Palin lies about everything and sinks her own ship.

Sarah, you and Limbaugh start that civil war in the Republican Party. What a disaster this women is.

I am a Democrat, I want her to win the nomination. Go Sarah, drill the Republicans into dinosaurs.

Posted by: COWENS99 | November 17, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

E.J. buddy why all the anger? Seeing how your team the Democrats should benefit from such a weakness as Palin you should be encouraging a higher profile from her rather than being so hostile to her presence.

Posted by: ctpsb2 | November 17, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton told a story about coming under sniper fire:

She remembers "clearly". It never happened. That bother any liberal here? Watch the YouTube. It is not a misspoken mumble. It was definitive. Hillary actually believed it!

So if the liberal legacy media and all its apologists can't bring themselves to bring up Hillary's completely delusional speech ... day in and day out ... forget about anyone caring about your reporting of Palin.

Posted by: oracle2world | November 17, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

1. The Proletarian Review Media Groups made the call for John McCain's Presidential campaign. Governor Palin was the best choice available. With the sauvy of a Chief Executive and the disposition of a real American mother set the stage for her arrival on the American landscape. Ms. Sara Palin is an American icon established by the Proletarian Review.
2. The Proletarian Review is looking for a strongly committed conservative so we can promote their ideas on to the American people. The Shake Quake of the International Conservative Movement is a vibe that will pursuade nations. Watch the vibe...

Antonio the Sun

Posted by: sterlinggo1 | November 17, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

The best thing liberals can do is to sit back and watch Palin destroy the Republican party. Palin winning the Republican nomination would result in the largest landslide in history of presidential elections. Democrats should switch parties, to register Republican, and vote for Palin. It'd also make for great entertainment.

Posted by: Policyprof | November 17, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Dionne hates Palin almost as much as he hates the pope.

Posted by: RobbyS | November 17, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

McCain's selection of Sarah- Moose Palin is the equivalent of Caligulas' appointment of his horse to the senate during the decadence of the Roman empire.

Posted by: bluelagoon21 | November 17, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

You claim McCain should apoligize ?

Recently, John McCain said "his only regret in selecting the Alaska governor was that no one on the campaign predicted the ferocity of the assaults against her. “To the liberal left, particularly the feminists, she is their worst nightmare.” (Aug 1, WSJ)

Why ?

Naomi Klein on Larry King last night went ballistic.. she claimed Palin was part of a secret cabal including Cheney and Rove to take over the United States. Seriously. You can't make up this stuff.

Posted by: pvilso24 | November 17, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Looks like EJ has got back into his Hate
Sarah Palin Insanity & Obession Again! So
why does Sarah Palin strike so much fear
and total terror into the hearts and minds
of all the WAPO Liberal Writers and All the
Kool Aid Drinking Obamabot Democrats? Yep,
You Betcha I Plan To Vote For Sarah Palin
for President of the USA in 2012! Eat Your
Hateful Hearts Out Democrats!

Posted by: Darlene5280 | November 17, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Palin is God's gift to the Democratic Party and she's a gift that keeps on giving.

I hope she continues to get a lot of attention in her efforts to destroy the Republican party, once and for all.

Posted by: chi-town | November 17, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Palin is damaged goods, and no team of ghost writers is going to help create a book than can fix this.

Posted by: tgolamb | November 17, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Attention does not mean everything. It may juice Palin's ego, but the attention is largely morbid fascination, like Springer, wrestling or Fox "News." Palin is known worldwide for an already-debunked book, lies on Oprah, and having no substance. Now she wants to fuss about the Newsweek cover! The more she opens her mouth, the more she resembles the lead character in Larry Flynt's 5-Star classic: Who's Nailin' Paylin? Rev. Bookburn - Radio Volta

Posted by: revbookburn | November 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

EJ - I spent a few minutes reading the comments. Don't despair, there are a lot more rational people out here than are reflected in these comments. She's a joke, most people know it. Period.

Posted by: Kim1 | November 18, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jstratt2

-----------------------------------------

jstratt2,
I don't think Liberals are afraid of Palin at all. I think they are more befuddled and frustrated that a person so lacking in ideas, as Palin is, for a better America can garner the kind of lovingly hysterical supporters that Palin is getting.

I am not a supporter of Palin but I have to admit she is a phenom. Her weak and most times contradicting answers to serious policy issues are painful me to listen to but yet there is something about her that draws me to her. I know for certain that it isn't her policy positions because, quite frankly, she has none. It can't be her beauty because there are plenty of attractive women political pundits that don't draw me they way Palin does. I can't put my finger on. Anyways, she is more a gift to the Liberals because she is and will be a drag on any GOP candidate that accepts her help. She, on the other hand, will continue to have tremendous financial and celebrity success but she won't win the White House for herself or any one else.

Posted by: SteelWheel25 | November 18, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

For all you Palin critics, which of the following have you accomplished, whether or not you did so while raising a family:

Started a successful business

unseated an incumbent mayor

unseated an incumbent governor

played hardball with oil giants and won

situated yourself to be one of about 200 people who could theoretically become president someday

For those who said no to all, you may have different spheres of knowledge, but you aren't smarter than she is. Not by a long shot. Not by a country mile.

Posted by: shecallsmemoe | November 18, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Palin is hardly honest or smart.

- Her lies in her (ghost-written) book have been debunked IN HER OWN WORDS, in emails SHE WROTE.

- Her lies on Oprah, such as whether her girls voted on her taking the VP spot, were debunked IN HER OWN WORDS, courtesy of Fox News.

- And then we have her brilliant answers to these extremely difficult questions:
Q: What newspapers do you read?
A: silence (never named a single newspaper)

Q: What Supreme Court decisions do you object to besides Roe v. Wade?
A: silence

Case closed.

Posted by: lmb02 | November 18, 2009 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Palin will self destruct because she is not really smart, nor any of the good things her supporters think she is. And yes, we also Republicans are waiting for McCain for an apology for putting this brainless bimbo as his running mate.

Posted by: xangora2020 | November 18, 2009 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Did I forget to say that polls now say 77% of Americans think she is completely disqualified to be a president or even vice president. People are not stupid.

Posted by: xangora2020 | November 18, 2009 4:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: xangora2020 | November 18, 2009 4:30 AM | Report abuse

From shecallsmemoe:
Started a successful business
unseated an incumbent mayor
unseated an incumbent governor
played hardball with oil giants and won
__________________________________________
This good, so by the same logic unless you have been a more successful USA president then you should never criticize Obama.

Posted by: oemar001 | November 18, 2009 4:46 AM | Report abuse

The glare of the media spotlight is only good for so long. In a short time the public will get tired of Palin. She'll make some bucks but I doubt we'll hear about her anymore by summer.

Posted by: OhMy | November 18, 2009 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, but I find that the more outrageous a person is, the more money they make? Call it "voyeuristic capitalism". Look at the folks who are making the big bucks selling tell-all books. We humans (or is it just us Americans) can't seem to get enough of these loonies. And we either elect these weirdos or put them in the national stage so they can be beaten up by their political opponants. We are truly sick, people. Can anyone guess when was the last time we had a level-headed mainstream candidate run for president?

Posted by: sdansker2002 | November 18, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

You know, Mr Dionne. I'm still waiting on the Washington Post to apologize for inflicting upon us, your liberal dribble...

Posted by: honorswar26 | November 18, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Why are you libs so afraid of her?

Posted by: GregJolysGhost | November 18, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

mikem12 wrote:

The harsh truth about Palin. Palin is an honest,experianced,accomplished leader.Obama is a corrupt liar in an empty suit who's complete lack of leadership,integrity or concern for anything but his own political future is ruining our economy,job markets,and putting
our troops and national security at risk.

-----

Here, mikem12, I have graciously edited your comment so that it reflects reality. No thanks necessary.

The harsh truth about Palin. Palin is a corrupt liar, a fear monger, an inexperienced,unaccomplished piece of Alaskan trailer trash who panders to the basest constituency that the United States has seen in over 200 years. Obama is a truthful, intelligent, accomplished patriot who is methodically and persistently attempting to pull America, through leadership and integrity, back from the abyss that the American Taliban/Republican/ Conservative movement has inflicted on the United States. This in the face of concerted efforts by the American Taliban/Republican/Conservative movement's efforts to ruin our economy,job markets,and put our troops and national security at risk and to destroy America with no regard except their own evil, malignant political future.

Palin is absolutely emblematic of the crass mediocricy that is the Ameican Taliban/Reublican/Conservative movement.

Have a good day mikem12. Remember to lift that rock occasionally. Sunlight disinfects.

Posted by: TightWhiteRight | November 18, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Palin has the IQ of a turnip which makes her tremendously attrative to the tea party birther crowd which is now the base of the GOP.

Posted by: orange3 | November 18, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Where's the Moose?

Posted by: ORNOT | November 18, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Too bad the media didn't spend even a fraction of the time investigating Obama as it did (and continues to do) with Palin. If they had done a little digging in Chicago and Hawaii as well as in Wasilla...well, we might be a lot better off right now.

BTW, just a note for Palin-haters: We now have the Buffoon Biden as VP, the one who makes racist jokes about convenience-store Asians and clean black men and gets a pass.

Go figure.

Posted by: Darlene_Jr | November 18, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Today is a first. I actually agree with E.J.

But now E.J., how about an article on the battle between Obama and Paterson?

Posted by: hz9604 | November 18, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

"Obama is a breath of fresh air?" Nothing new about government take over of industry, production, labor, health care and every aspect of your lives. It's been tried in varied degrees for some time now...all with about the same result. Utter and complete failure. The only possible examples, which are crumbling after all, might be some of the Scandinavian countries in the past. That was only possible because the had a relatively low percentage of takers and a lot of givers (productive). If you think that describes the US today you are far more delusional than it appears ...and that is some feat.

Palin might not be ready for POTUS and she may never be, but BHO isn't either and it has more to do with his political doctrine than anything else. Palin's world view is more in line with most of ordinary America...not the elite of the media or Manhattan or LA, but about everyone else.

Oh and how neatly you ignore Scrappy Joe from Scranton's almost daily gaffs and muffs. The only time Biden takes his foot out of his mouth is to insert the other one.

Posted by: theduck6 | November 18, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Discussions of politicians often come down to people veering off into hyperbole as they speculate on to the motives of those who are drawn to them or not. We’re not so incredibly hypersensitive in other areas, at least my friends are not. We don’t demand conformity. Your spouse might be impossible for me to live with and vice versa. A boss you hate may be a good match for me and vice versa. Big deal. In every other part of life, what people are attracted to is accepted as varying and variable and left to their own choosing. How often do discussions among friends of people they know end up with people screaming at each other, “you’re just afraid of Y, you inhuman so and so.”

Freedom of choice and good old American individualism are regarded as normal in other areas of life, people don’t spin off into angry polarization or blustery defensiveness. I get that people support different governing philosophies. But politics is the only area where I see people sometimes demanding through their criticism of others a type of crushing conformity in reaction to a politician which, if you stop and think about it, is the worst way to boost the person for whom they are advocating.

Posted by: Former_Archivist | November 18, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the delusional Palin thinks god (not McCain) has chosen her for this public life she revels in. The poor fool cannot tell the difference between good and bad press; she just wants to be in the spotlight. I guess the beauty pageant genes are dominant. She certainly has no intellect, at least not in any recognizable form. She can run for the presidency in 2012 on the Cult of the Victim party.

Posted by: EdSantaFe | November 18, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

If Palin runs in 2012 will she pledge: If elected, I promise not to resign because I'm bored and have other things to do.

Posted by: James10 | November 18, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

McCain did the country a diservice alright;
He paved the way for the election of Barack Obama. I am serious.

Posted by: etronsen | November 18, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

The disservice McCain did to this country had nothing to do with Obama. It was in bringing boob Palin onto the national stage, one for which she is spectacularly unqualified. She proves this every time she opens her stupid mouth.

Posted by: EdSantaFe | November 18, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

From oemar001
From shecallsmemoe:
Started a successful business
unseated an incumbent mayor
unseated an incumbent governor
played hardball with oil giants and won
__________________________________________
__________________________________________
Where in my post did I say you shouldn't criticize her? I'm just saying for those who believe she is unintelligent look foolish making such an argument, because clearly she is more intelligent than they are.

Posted by: shecallsmemoe | November 18, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Reluctant to buy Palin's book? I thought you did national politics? So, you're more in favor of ignorance, Dionne? I find you folks hard to believe at WP. Frankly, from the Tuesday after Labor Day 2008 to today I've seen a Hatred at WP that would make KKK members wilt. It's discusting. And, of course, you suggest, like good Haters that ignorance is preferable. Sick!

Posted by: Cdgaman | November 18, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

The Palin trainwreck will eventually pass... She already has competition from another airhead, Carrie Prejean.

Posted by: Gatsby10 | November 18, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

"You are heroic to me because you are normal "

That's my problem. I don't want someone 'normal' running the country.

I want someone way above normal. Someone exceptionally smart, with wisdom, gravitas, and an actual nuanced world view.

Posted by: Hillman1 | November 18, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

As a life long Democrat,I say leave the air head alone!You can only make a first impression once and Sarah blew it in 2008. She is the embodiment of the Republican party.Petty,dumb,ignorant,selfish,vindictive,dishonest,stupid,vacuous,greedy,and...............did I say she's not very bright? Palin/Cheyney in 2012!

Posted by: hughsie48 | November 18, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

She is dumb like a fox!

Posted by: kathymac1 | November 18, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

The Liberal Elite,
Letterman sleeps with understudies,
blah, big deal...
Tony Rizzo goes to prison,
blah, big deal...
you are creating a huge unthinking
clique of mindless zombies,
trying to all be differently
the same...
buying them actually.
the campaign will never end,
unless people just get sick
of the double standards
and propaganda,
and VOTE EVERY INCUMBENT OUT OF OFFICE!

Posted by: simonsays1 | November 18, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Palin is the dream come true for democrats. She can get the nomination, but she can't win the election in 2012. Historically, extreme candidates push the mainstream to the center i.e. '64, '72, '08. They never win. This is good news.

Further isn't it interesting how the conservatives insist that liberals 'fear SP". Who fears her? Mostly we pity her.

Posted by: formerrepublician | November 18, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

E.J., I don't normally read your column because I think the paper it is written on would be better used in a toilet. But today, you headlined Sarah Palin, so I thought, WTF ...may as well read about someone who is making the news lately. I have to say that for all of your whining about Ms. Palin, you sure are among the tops in getting her name out there for the rest of us to read about ... I guess you must have voted for her after all, huh? ...you seem to fancy her quite a bit.

Posted by: viennacommuter | November 18, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Shhh... listen! It's the sweet, sweet sound of liberals whistling past (their own) graveyard.

Enjoy your ride, boys, because it ain't gonna last too much longer.

Posted by: Tennessean | November 18, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh - The Paris Hilton comparison!

Wrong!

Paris Hilton is a very savvy business woman, she makes millions, with a very small and compact staff, and a VEDDY healthy bottom line. She promotes fashion, shoes, clothes, makeup, and is the best spokesman for the products they can have.

She is a walking style window, and when people see her out and about, doing 'nothing', they need to notice the number of photographers, the clothes, the shoes, the makeup, the designer fashions she is displaying --she's WORKING.

She has cared little for a long time what anyone thinks ofher job, her business, she continues to make money being Paris Hilton. More money than half the Ha-r-ved grads ever managed.

Palin, on the other hand, gets half the country to pay her to trash the other half.

There is a limit to it all...

We're there.

Posted by: dutchess2 | November 18, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Lefties seem to think that mentioning Palin, Fox News or Rush Limbaugh makes them feel intelligent.

Bigotry and intolerance comes in all different forms.

Posted by: pkhenry | November 18, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Is Palin the new Ann Coulter?

Posted by: wwc4g | November 18, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Washington DC is already a three ring circus.

Posted by: Galasso | November 18, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

The reason there is such attention paid to her is because she is a pro-life conservative. She raised a (large) family and then had a career. She goes to church and prays. Wow, talk about a liberal's worst nightmare. She just doesn't fit the NOW mold--pro-abort, career focused, no time for family life or children, or...God (you must be joking!) And, of course, Palin is indeed attractive--as the ridiculous Newsweek cover reminds us.

Yes, Palin has it all--and the liberal dominated media must do whatever they can to discredit her for she hasn't followed their formula for leadership and success.

Dionne mentioned "recklessness"--that is an accurate description of this country voting for Obama as President--a self described "community activist" now in charge of our foreign policy and economy.

We now reap what we've sown.

Posted by: Robster1 | November 18, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Ah yes, a little cheesecake magazine cover. Not too surprising, after all, the competition was between her and 'balloon boy'.

Posted by: Heerman532 | November 18, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Palin is no worse that Hillary Clinton. Clinton's leadership experience included being duped by her White House husband, and dodging imaginary bullets in the Balkans. Palin had actual executive experience, and defended herself quite well against various attempts to paint that experience negatively. There is a vast conspiracy afoot, but it consists of those self-identified arbiters of "who's qualified." People like Dionne are qualified to judge journalism, yellow or otherwise. That's all.

Posted by: sailhardy | November 18, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

How I hope Sarah Palin becomes the Republican's candidate!!! Hahahahahahaha! It'll be GREAT!!!!

Posted by: artwork1 | November 18, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Ok, Steve90, this is the problem in a nutshell. The reasoning the allows you to think your niece should hate her aunt because Sarah Palin is so much like her. There are millions of moderate and liberal women in this country who, while they respect Palin as a working mother, do not respect her politics at all. And, they are not just "in the cities", as you claim. None of them hate her. I don't hate her. We just don't think she'd be able to represent the country very well as president.

Posted by: dhenken1 | November 18, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that so many of these consrvative women that the right trots out are easy on the eye but a little aidle-brained? If Palin looked like Janet Reno or Barbara Mikulski for instance, do you think the repubs would have given her a second thought. It's all about the packaging for these fools.

Posted by: sromig | November 18, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with sarah ideas on pretty much everything especially her misguided views on reality as evidenced by her religious beliefs.
HOWEVER that cover of her on NEWSWEEK speaks volumes, she has got one hot smoking body, she is really shaped well.
i can see were bristol got her guns and gams from.
that said i wouldnt trust her to run anything more important than a general store in a small village.

Posted by: JudgeAlan | November 18, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

When I hear the liberal bigots smear Sarah Palin and bemoan her obvious incompetency and express disbelief that those knuckle dragging, nut cases in the Republican Party would actually put such an unfit person on the ticket as VP I always think that it only takes two words to win that debate and shut up the liberals: John Edwards.

Posted by: beachbum09 | November 18, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Why do people keep using the phrase "liberals fear Palin"?

Just because she's famous, that doesn't mean that we're 'afraid' of her. For goodness' sake, McCain LOST the election *because* of her.

Also, the U.S.'s sex-driven media LOVE to see ANY moderately-attractive White woman splattered over every publication they have; no matter what the actual 'news' is (and you know I'm right).

I think Republicans fear her more than anyone else. You can see how they USE her for ratings, votes, publicity; and then throw her under the rug..

Maybe you ultra-Conservatives should go after them instead..liberals just get a laugh out of your assertion.

Posted by: OneGovt_Worker | November 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Dionne: I rarely agree with what you have to say....but here, I think you have hit several nails on the head.

This is a frenzy if I have ever seen one.

Coming from the right, coming from the left, from Fox, CNN, NYT, the book....and now Newsweek.

Money and circulation. Adoration and hate. Some intrigue.

Does anyone really believe that Ms.Palin will win the republican nomination? Let us stop talking & speculating about her becoming president. She does not have what it takes and that is clear.

By 2012 we will have already learned a lesson from the present administration, about our current inexperienced & incompetent President. Why in the world would we want to even nominate another incompetent as a follow on?

But I fear, the beat will go on amongst our media.

The Palin effect works and the parasite media is in a frenzy. AP hires 11 to fact check her book! How about fact checking the President's decision process on Afghanistan, or the decision to try the Gitmo terrosist in NY?

I guess those issue don't sell. Our priorities are way off base.

Posted by: theartbrifl785 | November 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

sarah palin is a great example of the theory that you will never go broke over estimating the stupidity of the public.
The woman is a moron and I would like to know who is taking care of her down syndrome baby she chose to have and then leaves with God knows who to care for. She used that poor baby as a prop and it is very disturbing.

Posted by: mmalewitz | November 18, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

kathymac: "you leftists socialists cannot stand that she is making a fortune off you. Yeah she is dumb, sure,like that old saying
She is dumb like a fox!"

Um no, idiot. She is making a fortune off of every trailer-trash rightwingnut drooler who buys her book. I doubt many leftist socialists are buying this glorified doorstop.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 18, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is more Tonya Harding than Mann Coulter.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 18, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

What I am curious about is how she got elected to govern Alaska in the first place. I know that Alaska is a small state, but it's not like there are ten people up there and she was the best of them.

There was some trait that got her that post - whether it's her ambition, friendliness followed by ruthlessness to others, her public persona or something.

Although I don't blame McCain too much for not vetting her on some of the elementary school questions that she did not know, as anyone would assume that any governor would have good knowledge of those types of issues, McCain should apologize and admit how wrong he was. By not speaking out, he is protecting her and not his loyal aides.

Posted by: sharedgum | November 18, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

It isn't just the left. Ambidextrous voters too. Look. She's a "likeable" enough citizen. But asking her to run for the presidency would be like asking a pre-fabricated garage builder to design and build a new NFL stadium. I wish her well in life but I think her abilities could find better use than the political arena. At least at the top levels of it.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | November 18, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The Palin book hype reminds me of the old veg-o-matic commercials. And, like that handy-dandy kitchen gadget, I think politician Palin is a flash-in-the pan product.

Posted by: shilohgun | November 18, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

As a moderate former-Gop'er, I have to agree that McCain owes this country an apology for gifting us with Palin. She is truly a legend in her own mind. For every person that is excited about her and voted McCain/Palin because of her, I know three that abstained from voting or voted Obama BECAUSE of her.

If there is any fear of Ms. Palin, it might have to do with this country's tendency to screw itself. It is not beyond possibility that she could get the nomination and win. The media would (and already have) bought into that "just folks" schtick that she has down pat, just like GWB. That is where the fear comes from. Imagining where Palin, as intellectually un-curious as he was, would take this country is a scary thought indeed.

Posted by: jenzinoh | November 18, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't YOU, Mr Dionne, be apologizing to US for Obama? Can you not look around you and see what's been going on for 10 months now? 2012 can't come soon enough for those of us who live in the real world.

Posted by: motownlivs | November 18, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me the Right is attacking WAY more than the left.

It's interesting because Palin is a perfect reflection of at least three-quarters of the Republican base. It's the moneyed Republican elites that fear her most.

Posted by: mroberts45 | November 18, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

okay, motownlivs, I'll bite... what has happened in 10 months that has you flash-forwarding through your life?

I too live in the real world and, aside from the rampant fear-mongering, nothing much has changed from a year to 18 months ago.

Posted by: jenzinoh | November 18, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

What a great blog. Of course she needs seasoning which I hoped she would get if McCain beat Obama. But I voted for Ivy Elitist because I want better health care for the country. Anyway, if she somehow gets the seasoning over the next few years, the greatest fear of you liberals will occur. Oh dread, she will be unstoppable, except perhaps by Hillary who is really my favorite, even though I disliked Bill intensely, and am myself a very conservative fiscal (not social) guy.

Posted by: linus12 | November 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I await her centerfold, purely on non-partsan, curiosity grounds.

Posted by: rowens1 | November 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

why is it all of you Palin supporters put the word hate into the mouths of non-supporters? why does it have to be that extreme to you? why is there no room for strong dislike, or annoyed, or not our cup of tea? why does everything have to be about "hate" and "anger" with you people? On Oprah, she seemed like a pretty typical new celebrity, yet on Barbara Walters, when BaBa asked about her feelings about the Prez, her expression changed to the one she had at the RNC during her speech. The hatred and anger was so obvious, just like during the RNC speech. Seriously, has she not read anything about Afghanistan? Spouting about how the Afghan government should take over? What government ? The corrupt one lead by Karzai, who was basically hand picked by Bushco? and has no real power beyond Kabul? NEWSFASH: myself and millions of others do not hate or fear her, she does not bring out anger in us. we're simply in a state of disbelief that some of you actually think she is presidential material. No anger, no fear, quit projecting on us what your RNC, and your tea party's started.

Posted by: katem1 | November 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

EJ, you've authored a few books. How'd they sell? You are a failed author, failed journalist, and failed gay man hiding out in the closet. And here you are, using Palin to gin up readers to your failed column. I think you waited too long to take the buy out. Even WalMart isn't hiring greeters anymore.

Posted by: dishonest_abe | November 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I am amazed by the vitriolic hatred spewed by commenters about not just Sarah Palin but by any individual, politician or not. Where is the flow of opinions? Where is civility? Do any of us think we can change someone's opinion because we scream at them about how stupid they are for liking/disliking Palin?
I for one don't wake up hating others and can't wait to go tell someone how much I hate what someone believes, or care that she is actualyy making money writing a book. This is not what life is about and I hope evreybody will just chill,including the author.

Posted by: clarify | November 18, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Did she really writed her book?

Just askin'.

Sarah Palin reminds me of those "popular" (and I might add, very attractive) girls in high school who get a lot of attention. After winning an election in student government you can ask this girl a question and realize quickly her little pretty head is full of fluff and nonsense.

And no fact or discussion will change that fluff into insight, or God forbid, wisdom.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | November 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

There is only one person who can ensure President Palin's inauguration - President Obama.

If President Obama does a good job, there will be no President Palin.

Liberals' fright about President Palin reflects their own doubts about President Obama's ability to perform.

Based on President Obama's performance to date, I can see why liberals fear the possibility of a President Palin.

Right now, President Obama's team is at bat. They get three outs. After that, its the other team's turn at bat.

If the Obama team strikes out, why not give the lady from Alaska a few swings at bat to show what she can do.

Posted by: jfv123 | November 18, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Sarah needs to spend no time selling her book!

You and the rest of the left wing are doing a great job all by yourselves!!

Never has the fear of a politician been so thick!!!

Sarah has you all by the short hairs!!

Posted by: jjcrocket2 | November 18, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"Why are you afraid of her" has got to be the stupidist comment if you are directing it at some one that thinks Palin is a catastrophe on two legs. Now if you are a real conservative there is much to fear of her.

Posted by: Emmetrope | November 18, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Sarah needs to spend no time selling her book!

You and the rest of the left wing are doing a great job all by yourselves!!
-------------------------------------
No one on the left is buying it. She is picking to pockets of her friends!

Posted by: Emmetrope | November 18, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Palin just another loser Republican.

Posted by: Classic60 | November 18, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The liberal far left wing of the democrats, those same ones who are so delighted that Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid are in key 'leadership' posts, are not befuddled or confused about Palin's popularity. They are principled in that their political objective is to have the federal government rule every aspect of Americans' lives. They can see that Palin populism is a serious threat to their making sustainable progress toward that objective. The other principled segment of our political spectrum is the conservative right that follows the opposite principle of maintaining individual freedom and retaining most choices in Americans' lives to the people. They also support the notion that when the people decide the government should be involved, that involvement should be as localized as possible. In other words, the powers of the federal government should be limited, as expressed in the US Constitution. As quaint as this idea is, it is still the gut-level position of many, if not most, Americans who have spent time reflecting on what outcomes these differing principled positions will potentially deliver. That is the power behind the 'tea party' movement that emerged last summer. Many voters, who are not in the extremes mentioned above, rely less on a principled and consistent political philosophy and more on a process of deciding issues that they see as important to them on an issue by issue basis. And, of course, there are gradations across this central spectrum. This is where John McCain was rejected and Barack Obama was elected.

Now many of those in that more center political arena are seeing the threats presented to their lives by left-liberal democrat control in Washington and this continues to show up more and more in public polls. Palin is truly the iconic manifestation of this trend and regardless of her perceived qualifications for President, she will continue and grow as a force in rebuilding a truly conservative movement. This is the threat seen by the Progressives. This may indeed befuddle some of those in the so-called center, but they will see things more clearly as the liberal democrat agenda is pushed by the Obama administration and many will adopt a more conservative position.

Posted by: BobThompson | November 18, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The left is beside themselves like I've never seen. Sarah Palin hasn't been anointed anything by anybody. Your attempts to destroy her are laughable and show how juvenile uou are. I wish you would have fact checked our president before he was anointed because you, like I are about to lose freedoms and you don't even see it, but you are experts on Sarah Palin.

Posted by: clarify | November 18, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Women are not the enemy but the media both male and female pundits would like everybody to think so. They hated Hillary running for president and they hate any woman who has the guts to run for high office. And the reasons are always the same: women lie (exaggerate and inflate their experience -- men never do that) their way to the top, they are divas and care too much about their looks, they don't care about their looks and look awful; they know a lot but don't have principles, they don't know anything; too liberal or too conservative; too ideological; too hysterical; they have children and should stay home; blah, blah, blah. I'm sure we will have every possible iteration of male presidents before the media will allow voters to even consider the idea of a woman president.

Posted by: karmour1 | November 18, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The over-the-top attention the mainstream media affords Sarah Palin is indicative of how seriously they treat her as a political adversary.

Posted by: pgould1 | November 18, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

caebling writes:

.....................

Actually those were Dubya's guiding principles. I imagine that Palin will have something a bit more "maverick" -- maybe even something "rogue".

Posted by: tobeimeanpeter | November 18, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

This assault on Palin is pathetic...the Asociated Press assigning 11 writers to rip her apart shows how scared you people are by a simple folksy woman who loves her country and isnt buying the Kenyan Barry love and radical policies of this stupid, inept Administration. Go Palin Go...scare em some more..they need a major wake up call..

Posted by: JUNGLEJIM123 | November 18, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This woman is never going to run for president, so you conservative guys out there who has the hots for her can cool your jets on dreaming that she may - she sees the polls; she'll end up on Fox News along with Sean, Bill, and Glenn making tons of money - then again, she said she would rather write - yeah, if you write, you don't have to worry about being put on the spot on difficult questions--

Posted by: southernbutnotstupid | November 18, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

STEVE90: "Palin is like so many women and it's why they can relate. Not the liberal women who mostly reside in the big city and who mostly need an entitlement state to survive. I am talking about working women either outside the home, inside the home, or both."

Exactly. She's just a regular ol' hockey mom! That's her pitch right!? So elect her, not President Obama right-wingers harbor so much disdain for, who graduated top of his class in Columbia, president of the Harvard Law review, and since his time in office has begun to rebuild tarnished diplomatic relations with other countries around the world. Can you honestly see Palin holding her own against Vladimir Putin or Karzai, Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong-Il, Hu Jintao, or Hatoyama, when she admits she got flustered with Katie Couric? And resigned from Governor of Alaska because she couldn't handle the negative publicity and scrutiny of the American media. Could she handle the title of "Commander in Chief" and lead the troops in two war fronts? A tanking economy and financial sector? Thaaaat's right, the city girls don't know what we're talking about because we "need an entitlement state to survive." Uhuh.

Let's get this straight - No one is afraid of Palin. As James Carville said on Larry King two nights ago, "Run Sarah Run" for office! She is the laughing stock of the nation (one of the reasons why it's so hard for her to fade into obscurity - she is so great to poke fun at! Everything that comes out of her mouth! It's just TOO easy). I gotta admit, John McCain has got a hell of a sense of humor bringing her hot hillbilly mess on to the grand political scene. What is scary, are the lemmings that applaud Palin "going rogue" her lack of eloquence and knowledge of key issues (and geography). Sure she's being honest, I do NOT doubt that. BUT is she showing intellect? The answer is NO. That's what's scary! It's not about hating Sarah Palin, it's about choosing a competent Head of State.

Posted by: abdc | November 18, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

EJ Dionne really hit the nail on the head. Stop picking at the scab and it'll heal. Even The Nation can't stop talking about her. What a waste of time. I'd like to read about something worthwhile, not some gossip material. Yes it would be nice for McCain to explain just why he short-circuited his brain and picked someone of this caliber as his running mate.

It's really sad to see so many people speak so fervently in favor of Palin, like "luzandrob". It shows the poor state of education in our country. These people think that a regular guy/gal running for office is worthy of worship, that government doesn't require skill or knowledge, it only requires "spunkiness". Well, when I'm on an airplane or under a surgeon's knife, I sure hope the pilot or surgeon wasn't selected for his "spunkiness"! Government is no different. Knowledge and skill matter when you're trying to run a state or a country. Government is not a game show, regardless of how much the TV talk shows would like to pretend otherwise.

PS as far as "luzandrob"'s complaints about government squandering their hard earned money, they can just look to the waste of the Iraq war and the change from a surplus to a deficit, which all happened under Bush II. Let's call a spade a spade. Criticism is fair, but only if you apply it fairly.

Posted by: Diamond104 | November 18, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your ride, boys, because it ain't gonna last too much longer.

Posted by: Tennessean | November 18, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Uh huh.

What's gonna happen, Tennessean? Another Permanent Republican Majority? Palin in 2012?

You saps got took by Bush and now you're getting took by Palin. I wouldn't be making ominous prognostications if I were you. You don't know where you've been so you can't know where you're going.

Posted by: dfc102 | November 18, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

What every (sic.) happened to journalism?

Posted by: javaprogrammers12345 | November 17, 2009 6:24 PM

@javajavaprogrammers12345:

I'll tell you what happened to journalism: it was bought, paid for, and finally twisted into something utterly unrecognizable by Rupert Murdoch's NeoCon Noise Machine (a.k.a. Fox News).

'nuff said!

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 18, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I guess it is good that you libs now have this Palin Anxiety Derangement Disorder. It will draw the heat off of any real Republican Candidates.
Posted by: rexreddy
=======

If Huckabee leads in the primaries in 2012, and we non-conservatives inevitably criticize him, I'll bet you'll suddenly discover we're eaten up with Huckabee Anxiety Derangement Disorder.

Posted by: Krisipuu | November 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is an honest and committed leader who loves this country and wants it to be the best in the world.

We need to support her bid for the nomination now and watch the nay sayers eat crow come election time.

Palin 2012!

Posted by: 4AbetterAmerica | November 18, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to take a little further a thought I read recently that said roughly -though the Wall Street Journal would back her as a candidate they probably wouldn't let her be an editor. I think any Fortune 500 company that would be willing to support a Palin run should first be willing to offer a CFO position. After all, if she's competent enough to be the leader of the free world...

Posted by: ans15 | November 18, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The only irrelevant person within in this article is Dionne himself. Dionne who?

Posted by: candyzky | November 18, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

caebling wrote: "Should Frau Palin run in 2012 she can take her campaign slogan from 1984; "war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength". In a nutshell, there you have the new republican mantra."

Funny you should say that.

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT ON HOMEOWNERSHIP
at the Department of Housing and Urban Development
Washington, D.C.
June 18, 2002
PRESIDENT BUSH: "Well, thank you all very much for that kind welcome. I'm here for a couple of reasons. First, I want to thank you all for your service to the greatest nation on the face of the Earth. (Applause.) I'm here to celebrate National Homeownership Month...

Let me first talk about how to make sure America is secure from a group of killers, people who hate -- you know what they hate? They hate the idea that somebody can go buy a home. They hate freedom; that's what they hate...

I want to thank the choir for coming, the youngsters for being here. I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace."

Posted by: kenonwenu | November 18, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing is that the "maverick" John McCain put Palin on his ticket to ostensibly show how "mavericky" he really is. She stole whatever thunder he had and he looked old and tired next to her. Now Mr. Maverick has returned to DC ad has moved farther and farther to the right, seemingly losing every ounce of rogue he ever had by adhering to all Republican talking points religiously. Meanwhile, Sarah is twirling in the spotlight, spinning and lying all over the place. She trashes the McCain campaign as much as she trashes her favorite target -- the dreaded "liberal" media. McCain lost twice with Sarah Palin.

Posted by: creatia52 | November 18, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4AbetterAmerica
=========

Like that makes her different from any candidate of any party anywhere who ever attracted ardent supporters like you.

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The civil war playing out in the GOP has been fun to watch but her book takes it to the next level. As a democrat all you can hope for is that she keeps meddling in politics and decides to run in 2012.

Posted by: zackool | November 18, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks a lot John McCain for giving America a monster every bit as horrific as Jame's Cameron's Alien. Note that when you cut into Sarah Palin, she drips molecular acid on everyone around or in her vicinity.

Now that she has captured this awful modern mainstream corporate shill media, her acid will drip over the entire world.

Thanks McCain. For nothing.

Posted by: jaxas | November 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how many Palin supporters there are out there, or at least how vocal they are. I for one would be embarrassed to say I like Sarah Palin and her politics. To me it is a sign of being misinformed, ignorant or stupid, but who am I to judge at one point the people of Germany supported Hitler for many of the same sentiments espoused by Sarah Palin.

In the end I think that all this attention on Sarah Palin is good. She will fragment the GOP from the irrational and insane pro-Palin camp and the more moderate Republicans who are now leaderless.

The most important block of voters, the independents, will not embrace her rhetoric. She will soon be seen as a cross between Sen. Joe McCarthy and Madonna.

And Sarah Palin? Well she is going to fleece every dollar from her supporters she can... And they deserve it. Sarah Palin quit being Governor simply so she could cash in while the taking is good.

Posted by: rcc_2000 | November 18, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Senator McCsin's advice is sound; stop stirring the pot and allow water to seek its own level, which in Ms. Palin's case is about 20% of the population.

Sarah's fifteen minutes will be extended by a media establishment and public's overemphasis and infatuation with celebrity and controversy. But come this time next year when Ms. Palin has already banked several million in book royalties and speaking fees but has demonstrated not one whit of political pulling power for those she chooses to bless with her endorsement and presence on the 2010 camaign trail, she will slink comfortably back to Wassila and her diet of moose meat and mashed potatoes.

Posted by: bobfbell | November 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Democrats were afraid of Palin until she opened her mouth. She can blame Couric and everyone else if it makes her feel better, but she tripped over a pretty low hurdle right out of the gate, and got mad for it being there at all.

To the left, she's a trainwreck to gawk at, to many on the right, that wreck looks like a campfire to sing songs and roast marshmallows and moose meat around.

Go ahead and give her the GOP nomination. We'd be thrilled to put her platitudes, paranoia and tired whitebread messaging under a spotlight she can't control for an 18-month presidential campaign cycle.

I think she won't run though. She's smarter than that. Her interest is money and fame. She'll raise a fortune for the GOP, call herself a patriot, and walk away with millions.

Posted by: grelican | November 18, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

To: luzandrob

Wow! all i have to say is wow! do you know anything? she is not hardworking or honest. she went to 6 colleges before graduating. she used all of her prior Political offices for personel gain.

Even all that aside, she can't name a supreme court case or a newspaper she has not read.

for all her doing things for the "working man" she continually espouses the interests of the Business Lobby. If you think endorsing the Business lobby is working for the comman man, then i've got some more things to sell to you.

Politics ans ideology aside - she is retarded and you should really think before just accepting what Beck tells you to accept.

Posted by: saurabhgup | November 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

To: luzandrob

Posted by: saurabhgup | November 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Dionne: You should have stayed on the street corner with the Belmonts. Pain attacking the media? Spare me the pain.

Posted by: jahoby | November 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

McCain was down 8 points in the polls when he picked Palin, and immediately jumped up to a six point lead.

But McCain's clueless response to the (carefully timed) banking crisis cost him the election.

Posted by: pkhenry | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The Republican Dream Team for 2012: Palin and PreJean. Go, girls, go. The USA will be the laughingstock of the world. Just what we need to complete the utter destruction of our credibility, our economy, and all life on earth.

Posted by: Chagasman | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

sarah is laughing at all of us..all the way to the bank.

she is no longer a republican or a member of any party except the group of "political celebrities" who are making money off their investments into the political arena. it's not about being qualified, moderately successful or a failure. it's all about the drama and the hype and the flurry of media attention that ensures a person retirement.

she's probably sitting with her publicist now, dredging up more controversy to put money into her coffers. she'll be so rich by next year she'll stop caring about how other people feel about her or her positions, as long as they feel something and media feeds this crap to the desparate, the frustrated and the paranoic.

go for it, sarah. you'll need the money for trig and your grandbaby.

Posted by: glenknowles | November 18, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

===============================
Except Paris Hilton has brains and would actually has some experience to look and be a good Leader...

Palin is a whisper in the wind in comparison.

During Paris's campaign spoof on Jon McCain. She actually cme up with great ideas and a professional looking promotion.

ISA

Posted by: Issa1 | November 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

E.J. Dionne wrote: "Ezra made the point -- I’m paraphrasing -- that any political Web site that wanted to goose its traffic needed only to mention Palin. I am sure, for example, that this blog post will get more attention than my more substantial earlier post on reapportionment."

Money. That's the long and short of Palin's media exposure. It's the shallow, tacky stuff that keeps our free enterprise system going strong.

Seventy years ago, Aimee Semple MacPherson was good for the media, too.

Even the most serious, best educated minds had an opinion of that wildly popular, appalling woman.

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkhenry | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

==============================
This was our fault

You you guys coached both of them..

This is because you invent unrelated issues and dismiss real issues.

When you are challenged you go DARK SIDE as your defense.

ISA

Posted by: Issa1 | November 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Palin creates a dilemma for everyone who reports, comments on, or even thinks about politics.

On one hand, Palin is a light weight who no more deserves serious consideration for national office than my cat. She, like most every other losing VP candidate, should slip into obscurity, the sooner the better. (How many of you can name the last ten losing VP candidates? Quick now!)

On the other hand, in the very strange world that is the Republican Party right now, the strangeness of Palin could actually lead to the party's nomination for president. That's pretty hard to ignore.

Posted by: tunkefer | November 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The Newsweek cover is an apt metaphor of Sarah Palin

What I think they are saying is

"There's nothing new about Sarah Palin. The book is a rehash - explanations, justifications, rationalizations - that Palin is trying to use as a springboard to relaunch her old brand.

It's all loud colors and synthetic clothes and high tech. Nothing natural about it.

Perfect description of Sarah - She splashes around in the pool but has nothing to add to the cultural and political conversation

WE AREN"T BUYING WHT SHE'S SELLING

Posted by: Anadromous2 | November 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Most liberals are delighted that Palin somehow remains the darling of the Republic Party. The obvious likely result is the continued marginalization of the right wing. If that's what they want, the more fool they.

Posted by: jpk1 | November 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpk1 | November 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

==========================
YOu need to correct your sentence..

YOU REALLY MEAN..

The Self Inflicted Marginalization of your own party..rememeber you eat your own..dead or alive..!!

ISA

Posted by: Issa1 | November 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

You nailed it, Dionne! Good article. Palin is so much of an opportunist, she's downright tacky.

And that pretty much sums up the republikan party, too.

Posted by: 4Jaxon | November 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

And Sarah was more qualified than Obama to be a President in what way? Hmm...a governor who quits her job makes her more qualified? Explain it to me.

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | November 18, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

4Jaxon -

"Palin is so much of an opportunist, she's downright tacky. And that pretty much sums up the republikan party, too."

Yeah, Republicans need more humble and classy folks like John Edwards. LOL

Posted by: bobmoses | November 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It's all about the money. Follow where the money Palin earns from this silly book goes. Is there a reporter out there with the brass to do it? Could be a titl for a new book, All the not elected Vice Presidents Women.

To those that think the MSM is liberal, think again. You want unbaised reporting and writing by any media? Good luck, they all tilt some what one way or the other. It is up to the reader/viewer to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Posted by: nstein1 | November 18, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I love how Palin gets under the skin of liberals. If she is sooo inconsequential why all the anger?

Posted by: JohnGalt4 | November 18, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

imb02, stuff it loon! you are envious and jealous that Gov. Palin wrote a best seller BEFORE it went on the market. Eat your heart out, lummox! You're a classic sufferer of Bush Derangement Sydrome and ADD. You need to stay on your ridlin!

Posted by: nmg3rln | November 18, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the woman men promote and real woman despise -- she's the one who flirts and winks, goes to another woman begging for help because she needs to learn something and once taught will go behind your back to get your job, the one you went to school for or worked long hard hours for. I'm not being bitter I simply always saw her as the woman who climbed on the backs of other women who went to court and changed laws, woman who studied harder than their male counterparts and there is someone like SP to pretend they were right beside you as they end up taking the prize even though they didn't deserve it. It's not just women -- men also know the drill, they put in the time, the blood, etc. and the boss hires a nephew and once you train him you get fired. That's Sarah Palin.

Nothing I heard from the candidate changed my mind -- she was inadquate in wisdom, clarity of thought and innovative ideas to help our country. Calling for unity SP instead divided the country and claiming to be Christan judged who was a REAL American and who wasn't.

It's not like she is out working in a soup kitchen or building homes for the poor -- she's instead flying around in private jets and earning millions for a book she didn't write -- it will be interesting when the believer finds out she only cares about herself and her bank account.

Posted by: Lemon7221 | November 18, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

E.J., you are so predictable as to be dull! Luckily, you have a choir to listen to your preaching; any others are merely curious as to whether you will slip up and say something fair and balanced like George Will or Krauthammer.

Posted by: PhillupSpace | November 18, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing like listening to Ms. Palin's "post-partisan depression."

Now if Mccain would just join the discussion with three comments: 1) I took a gamble and rolled the dice on selecting Palin to the ticket; 2) I didn't do my homework on her; 3) I was sooooo wrong.

That would be the best republican apology that could be accepted as TRUE!

Posted by: benighse | November 18, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

G=greed

O=oil

P=Palin
Today, Palin IS the Republican Party.
Somewhere in the great beyond, Pres. Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, and Ford are shaking their heads in disbelief about the state of their once great political organization.

Posted by: BBear1 | November 18, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Palin is a serial and apparently compulsive liar; the content of her "book" is not standing up to even casual fact-checking. She is also apparently vindictive as hell. Who is ever going to go to work for her in a political capacity after she backstabs everyone who used to work for her in a political capacity? You would have to be absolutely nuts! By the way, ever notice how Palin supporters NEVER address her lack of knowledge and repeated egregious falsehoods specifically. All they do is insult anyone who happens to point these things out. What's up with that?

Posted by: raqualung | November 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is Michael Jackson in a skirt.

Posted by: RadicalGlove | November 18, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Nobody should pay any attention to Sarah Palin. I hate Sarah Palin. Why does anybody pay any attention to Sarah Palin? I can't believe anybody pays any attention to Sarah Palin! Anything is more important than Sarha Palin! There are so many more important issues than Sarah Palin. I will buy her book, but only because I want to make fun of it. I think everything is more important than Sarah Palin.

Yet, like most liberals, all I do is talk about Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Delongl | November 18, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Delongl: substitute Obama for Sarah Palin in your comment above and you sound like every Republican on the planet!

Posted by: raqualung | November 18, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Another thing. If this person decides to run again for national office and enough whackjobs like Delongl decide to vote for her, we are all screwed! That's why we need to talk about this. Should the boy who saw that the emperor had no clothes have kept quiet?

Posted by: raqualung | November 18, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Palin's "An American Lie," oh, excuse me, 'Life" might be the first book on record to go directly from being a number one bestseller, straight to the bargain bin.

Posted by: cfeher | November 18, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

my bet is within a year we will see her and levi togather in playboy.

Posted by: donaldtucker | November 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

our troops and national security at risk.
-------------------------------------------

Please tell us more about her experience and accomplishments. And work on your spelling while you are at it

Posted by: keithrjackson | November 18, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Dionne wrote, "My first reaction to the choice in 2008 was to note its 'breathtaking recklessness.'” That's exactly what my reaction was. It's good to know I wasn't alone.

Posted by: cmckeonjr | November 18, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

JEALOUSY IS RAMPANT TODAY!!!

Posted by: npoteatday | November 18, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Palin vs Obama 2009 = Dem Win

Palin vs. Obama 2012 = ?

Posted by: jfv123 | November 18, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnGalt4
==========

JohnGalt4, you do know, don't you, that Ayn Rand would have been utterly appalled by Sarah Palin.

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

JEALOUSY IS RAMPANT TODAY!!!
Posted by: npoteatday

===========

Very true. Alan Keyes is eaten up with jealousy.

He lies in bed at night unable to sleep, agonized by his certainty that, were it not for Palin's cute, perky wink-thing, he would have the Republican nomination in 2012 all wrapped up.

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

With GOP support already dropping to 17% and new "Conservative" Parties springing up across the nation could GOP support reach single figures?

Posted by: walker1 | November 18, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

It is a rite of adolescence to build one's self up by mocking the intellect, appearance and general unworldlyness of another. Good parents teach their children that tearing down another deprecates one's self. Politics entirely aside, disparagement of Palin as a hick demeans the critics and reminds us that The New York Times once sought to ridicule Abraham Lincoln by branding him "Uncle Ape."

Posted by: slcastner | November 18, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Why do many of the previous commenters refer to the President as a man/child?' The only reason I can think of is racism, since I have never encountered this phrase used in any other context. To me, that demonstrates a state of mind opposed to rational thought, as also reflected in "she's hot" as a reason to support Palin.Rational conversations with racists and supporters of "anti-intellectuism" get us nowhere.

Posted by: DMDinNV | November 18, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

She's not "hot," not even by Washington D.C.'s ugly politics standards.

Posted by: johng1 | November 18, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nparsons13

=============

lol, so true nparsons13.

Posted by: johng1 | November 18, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

As the folks over at Think Progress note, Fox News's Gregg Jarrett today used old stock footage of a McCain-Palin rally from last year to illustrate how Sarah Palin is "continuing to draw huge crowds" during her book tour. He was apparently not tipped off by the McCain campaign "Country First" sign in one of the shots, nor did he wonder why Palin would be using a teleprompter to plug her book.

Posted by: averddy | November 18, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I can't shake the suspicion that Palin is actually a character from Paddy Chayefsky's "Network," somehow come to life.

But of course, I get that feeling about a lot of people in politics and the media these days.

Posted by: PeterPrinciple | November 18, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Following the ridicule of Palin for her comment about Obama's "death panels" we now have the announcement that women don't meed mammograms. Do you get the picture now? They intend to save costs by cutting back on health care.

Posted by: alstl | November 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Here's wishing great bushing success to
Sarah Palin within her Republican Party. The better she does, the lower she drags the Grand Old Party. Make that "Sick, Irrelevant Old Party."

Posted by: jimsteinberg1 | November 18, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

McCain should have picked Rice. If he had, he would be sitting in the White House right now. But he did not, and now we have a president who is incapable of making decisions and incapable of standing up to the special interests.

I do not have the hatred or even contempt for Palin that everyone else seems to have. But a governor of Alaska simply does not have the knowledge of national and international affairs which is necessary for a president or for a vice-president. Palin was not a good pick. Condi would have been dynamite and no one could have suggested she was not smart enough.

Unfortunately I do not expose myself to right wing media and do not know at first hand the nasty things that right wingers say. I do know the nasty things which left wingers and liberals say, and I do wish they would pipe down.

Posted by: rohitcuny | November 18, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing how many Americans are suckered into buying a book "written" by a woman, an aspirant to your presidency!, who is so abysmally ignorant, that we down here in a far better land can't fathom why so many of you are taken in by the tripe she mouths.

Posted by: renfieldc | November 18, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

If she were a good looking guy with a raft of kids with the same intellectual talents, ambitions and energy, elected to high public office, then no one would think anything of her...

Ooops, I just realized I might be describing Mitt Romney...

Seriously, the subject of gender roles and underqualified, overachieving women ought to be discussed. I have seen numerous examples in the private sector of women who were fortunate enough to be in the right place in history to get positions and powers far beyond their talents.

But this is also commonly true of men, and no one thinks much when they are in such positions.

Posted by: Spectator | November 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

_______________

Huh? She is still raising her family and she started her career before they left the fold. Her oldest child was born in 89 and she was elected mayor of Wasilla in 96. So her oldest child was only 7 when she started her career.

So much for rightwingnut fact-checking, eh? Do you just make up stories that fit your needs?

Posted by: arancia12 | November 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Can you please stop discussing and talking about this manipulative whinny woman....PLEASE........

Posted by: kevin1231 | November 18, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

JEALOUSY IS RAMPANT TODAY!!!
Posted by: npoteatday
===========
Very true. Alan Keyes is eaten up with jealousy.

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------
I think this is the funniest (and sadly, most accurate) thing I've read today.

My thoughts -- Palin is a bonafide entertainer. And she is good at that job. The press loves her the same way they loved Britney Spears on drugs, Whitney & Bobby, and Oprah gaining weight. People can't stop talking about her because she is a walking, talking, controversy.

I do not hate Palin, but I strongly dislike her. Like many Americans, I invested in education, developed skills, put those skills to work in an honest job, give to charity, pay my taxes, etc., and this ignorant person earns accolades and millions of dollars based on looks (and I say this very loosely) and depravity. Basically, it bothers me that Palin is rewarded not for her gutsiness - i.e., entering politics presumably to create a better world - but for her divisiveness, ignorance, lust for fame, and lies. Generally, we don't consider these to be positive traits in other entertainers, and we certainly do not think these traits would qualify anyone to run for a leadership position.

Posted by: petwrthtrini | November 18, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Why I can see Russia from my House!"

Posted by: loulor | November 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Palin is every bit as full of sh!t as the other phony religious fanatic, the drunken traitor and deserter, george w bush himself.

Pity this country if the Alaskan lunatic ever gets to play toy soldiers like georgie did.

Posted by: rcubedkc | November 18, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Palin is kind of like Paris Hilton...famous for nothing,really.

Posted by: kreator6996 | November 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Ever notice Republican women - Palin, Bachman are gorgeous, while liberal women are beyond hideous - pelosi, clinton.

This fact clearly demonstrates the basis for liberal male writers and talk show hosts rabid hatred for Palin.

Most liberal media guys - matthews, oberman, maddow - are closet homosexuals who find the eye-searing, dog-butt, will-turn-faces-to-stone liberal gals provide no distraction for the guys and boys lib closet-queen media he-girls desire.

Beautiful, sexy, smart conservative Palin, on the other hand, enraptures most men. They are powerless in her presence.

Liberal he-she closet cases commentators cannot compete.

Posted by: 2xy4k9 | November 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

any photos of her and levi out there?her and levi in playboy next year.bye bye toddie.

Posted by: donaldtucker | November 18, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

i missed your "breathless wrecklessness" article, regarding mccain's choice of palin, but i appreciate your choice of words. i was stunned that after his choice for vp became a national IED, most of the focus remained on palin and not on mccain for giving us a horrific preview of his style of decision-making. choosing palin was not the sign of a maverick, it was the sign of a desperate man, grasping a straws. i can only imagine the consequences of having such a reactionary, hair trigger president in the oval office. believe it or not, there could be people out there who would make even worse presidents that boy george. and mccain and palin are two of them. thank you, republican party, for showing us the best you have to offer. it's very sad.

Posted by: live_free_or_die | November 18, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Fear the barracuda, moonbats! President Palin will liberate America from the dithering messiah!

Posted by: thebump | November 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

moonbats...dithering...messiah
Posted by: thebump

======

Got anything a little fresher and more original to say?

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The worst conspiracy, is that anyone pays her any attention. It's all that keeps her name alive.

Posted by: surfer-joe | November 18, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Thats OK. I don't mind Palin mania. It's the best way to get people to pay attention to politics, a kind of gateway issue so to speak. She represents the part of the Republican party who wishes to purge the non-purists. That's fine with me I want the moderate republicans to leave and form their own damn party. Having intelligent people stick around a sinking ship will draw this out much longer then Sarah Palin. Push and pull. If she keeps a stranglehold on the party activists for a few more years I predict that the political landscape will change dramatically.

Many politicians from both sides will sell us out, she is just more obvious about it. If the political landscape gets a bit hotter I think we will find out a lot more of what is actually going on with the people who are actually governing our country. I want things to be competitive again rather this two party game where politicians rile up the crowds and manipulate their voters.

Posted by: persimonix1 | November 18, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alstl
=====

Sheesh, as if you guys haven't dreamed up enough scary conspiracies.

Calm down already and educate yourself.

From CBS: "Earlier this week, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force issued new guidelines that recommend against both routine mammograms for women younger than 50 and breast self-exams. The independent panel concluded these screening procedures have been causing too many false alarms and unneeded biopsies without substantially improving women's odds of surviving the disease."

Posted by: nparsons13 | November 18, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

If Palin goes away the 'scab' will heal and I don't really have a desire to return to business as ussual. We tend to lose out when politicians are able to do what they please. Making Palin wealthy is a small price to pay for breaking the current political equallibrium.

Posted by: persimonix1 | November 18, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

moonbats...dithering...messiah
Posted by: thebump

======

Got anything a little fresher and more original to say?

Posted by: nparsons13 |
_________________________

There's a good reason he calls himself "the bump."

Posted by: arancia12 | November 18, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin. S A R A H P A L I N. S--A--R--A--H P--A--L--I--N.

Y---A---W---N.

Posted by: bfieldk | November 18, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Alas, this is so true. Maybe we should switch to a code name for her--we could call her "Governor Fey"--so that we would fly under the Google radar.

Posted by: Alexis3 | November 18, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Palin is God's gift to the Democrats. Pray that she doesn't quit and keeps on giving through 2012.

Posted by: nick4 | November 18, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin. Much a do about nothing.

Posted by: joe100821 | November 19, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse