Tiger's privacy: a reconsideration

Oh, Tiger, Tiger, not so bright. Apologies to William Blake—and I must confess I never really liked that poem—but this line might be apt: “In what furnace was thy brain?”

It would appear, actually, that Tiger’s brain had rather little to do with his prowlings “in the forests of the night.” And since I went out pretty far on a limb the other day arguing that the celebrity golfer’s behavior was a private matter, it’s time to extend, if not revise, those remarks in light of new disclosures about Woods’, ahem, “transgressions.”

I urged Woods in my earlier column not to capitulate to public demands for details of his admitted failings. At the time, it was already pretty clear that Tiger had behaved badly.

What we’ve learned since, or think we have: Not just once. Not just one woman. Not just a brief fling. While his wife was seven months pregnant. And also: complete with a cyber-trail of lurid texts and audio of an anxious-sounding Tiger voice-mail (“Can you please take your name off your phone? My wife went through my phone and may be calling you.”)

I’m trying to decide whether I would have looked at the situation differently if I had known these details. I don’t think so. “Tiger, thank you for not sharing,” I wrote, and still mean it. I understand that men—and women—have affairs. Always have, always will. But bragging about it? To US Weekly?

What is revolting about the modern manifestation of this age-old phenomenon is the notion that these private…here comes that word again…“transgressions” are a fit, even expected topic for public discussion. People used to save love letters, so I guess it’s no surprise that they would save racy texts. Still, to put them out—or, more probably, sell them--for all to see, as the perfectly named Jaimee Grubbs seems to have done with Tiger’s?

True, back in 1797 Alexander Hamilton published a pamphlet, “Observations on Certain Documents,” detailing his “amorous connection” to Maria Reynolds. But at least that was in service of Hamilton’s effort to defend himself against more serious charges of speculation. And the pamphlet, by the way, was a mistake; Hamilton’s political enemies even paid for a second printing. Noah Webster lamented that a man of such stature would “publish a history of his private intrigues, degrade himself in the estimation of all good men, and scandalize a family to clear himself of charges which no man believed.”

Woods may be no Alexander Hamilton, but his tell-little approach is the right one. (Tell nothing, as I said, would be even better.) “No matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy,” Woods said in his statement Wednesday. “Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.”

I couldn’t have put it better myself. In fact—I didn’t. Tiger, your behavior was shameful. Don't make it any worse by discussing it.

By Ruth Marcus  | December 3, 2009; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  Marcus  | Tags:  Ruth Marcus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's tough love for Afghanistan
Next: Miss Rogers's neighborhood

Comments

What disturbs me the most about these revelations is that a man who seemingly had it all wasn't satisfied. That's the same thing that destroyed my feeling for Bill Clinton. How much is enough? Evidently for some people the answer is "nothing".

Yes, the less said about this the better. But I see nothing wrong with allowing the public to know that Tiger Woods is not the saint he would have you believe he is.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Posted by: creeper92 | December 3, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Who cares. Personal business. If I cared about every trangession of the famous; family and friends I wouldn't have time for anything else.

Posted by: rlj1 | December 3, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

So, it's all his fault, right? Typical for Ms. Marcus. Never mind the women, throwing themselves at a married man, then peddling their stories to tabloids for cash. Heck, Ms. Uchitel is today negotiating a hush agreement with Tiger's attorneys.

Posted by: dime_dropper | December 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I almost hate to say this, but has the time come when we come to grips with reality? A significant percentage of men, and I would hazard a guess, a higher percentage of powerful men, cannot live within the limits of monogamy. As much as we might wish they can, the evidence is in. I do not believe this is an effect of modern society. I think its hard-wired in the male DNA. Some men are able to suppress the innate desire to spread their genes. Others are unable. To think that the inability to suppress these desires correlates only with negative traits, and never with positive ones, is perhaps naive.

Posted by: Jman53705 | December 3, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Not much good happens after midnight

Posted by: TheDubb | December 3, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, Jman53705 -- but shall we wonder among all the gene spreading whether one or more of the participants ever get HIV-tested before and/or after said gene-spreading? Modern times, yanno.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 3, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I'm not impressed by our media folks trying to sell papers, advertisements, etc. on the private failings of this human being. It is time to stop asking "Do you still beat your wife?" and expect to get an answer. There is no right answer for this question.

One thing that I found out from this whole charade is that Tiger drives a vehicle that he advertises. This should make his advertisers proud. Now his wife should make her own advertisement with the use of golf clubs to free her husband from his advertised vehicle. I have more important issues to deal with; I hope that others are the same way.

The disappointment is the way our media has become "gotcha" for any thing. Totally disappointing.

Posted by: ronhamp | December 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Many men will stop having affairs when their wives treat their husbands like a lover. It's that basic.

Posted by: HillRat | December 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

How many more bar skanks will come out with tiger stories? How many venereal diseases do they have?

Posted by: joinnow | December 3, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't care whether he's a sex addict, or a drug addict, or just the victim of some kind of severe personality disorder. But he has no right to privacy any more - it's gone; he sold it.

Posted by: Itzajob | December 3, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I still say, we're at war on four fronts, our economy, our jobs, our health and with terrorists...

We got lots of important stuff to be thinking about...

I don't care about party crashers, our SS couldn't figure out why the male prostitute was snuck into the white house 45 times, nor could they figure out who outed a CIA agent.

I think the party crashers ought to be punished, because now everyone else will try it, and some of them have a huge hate for this president.

I think Tiger Woods and his wife need to come to their decisions without me even being aware of it...

He will not starve if he never gets another gig...she will not starve if she leaves and takes the kids back to whereever she came from...

Enough already!

Posted by: dutchess2 | December 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Tiger's first mistake was in not having a conversation with the fla hwy patrol,he could have leveled with them, and all would hae been forgotten, but no he wanted to be in control, everyone with any common sense, had a pretty good idea what happened, they had an argument, she went at him, he left, the rest is history, this lady had her own money when they married, probably had a prenup, now she should leave him, get on with her and childrens lives, and let Tiger go his way, im sure he is feeling kinda low right now, and maybe should change his name to "snake", for being so low down, and not honoring his marriage vows!Watching golf with out him each weekend, is not the same, but we all have to live and get on with life, whatever mistakes we make.I just cant believe, how little common sense some people have,when today eveything is on tape or camera, and about the only people in this ole world that you can trust is your Mother!

Posted by: dl74911 | December 3, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I hit "submit" prematurely there.

I have every sympathy for private people who, through some quirk of fate, get sucked into the media maelstrom. But the antipodes are further apart than those people and Tiger Woods.

Mr. Woods asked - begged, even, given his shameless and mercenary behavior - for everything the tabloids are serving up to him now. He has absolutely no grounds to complain about any of it.

So I say, let the tabloids dig, and let them smear. So long as they don't break into his house or commit some crime in the process, let them do what they will with Mr. Woods until their readers get tired of it. Let him deal with the PR fallout on his carefully constructed faux persona.

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving fellow.

Posted by: Itzajob | December 3, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Now there are reports that the inside of the house was smashed. If this was a fight and physical and spouse abuse, the police should still be involved. That Woods thinks, and maybe is, getting away with a domestic abuse situation by avoiding the police is disturbing. What is going on?

Posted by: mihalick | December 3, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Once again, we have to do something about the moral sins of these hetros. Traditional marriage and families suffer because of them.

Posted by: Rich393 | December 3, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Of course he should have privacy. This man is not an elected figure supposedly accountable to the public, or a CEO supposedly accountable to shareholders. He's a sports celebrity.

Posted by: ripvanwinkleincollege | December 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I am appalled by some of the comments here.

Yes, the women show an incredible lack of class by trying to make money off of this.

But they are not the ones who made vows of fidelity to someone. They are not breaking any promises. The majority of the blame for any affair needs to lie with the person who is breaking those promises.

I really thought that in the new millennium we would have outgrown the need to punish women for being sexual beings. Sounds way more 18th century.

As to blaming the media for trying to sell papers - what the heck are you talking about. Papers have to be sold or they go out of business and many people become unemployed.

The only people to blame for these kinds of stories being in the news are the people who get off on reading them - of which everyone here in this chat (including me) is one. Stories that don't get read don't get written. We need to blame society in general for getting their kicks from other people's misery.

Posted by: mwalkerg | December 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Ruth, you make it sound as if Tiger is in full control and penned that lawyerly and sensitively crafted apology. The man wouldnt know how to. He has been tightly managed and spinned by handlers (IMG) and his sponsors (eg Nike) since he started out. Before that it was his father. The sensitivity was impressive but belies the fact that if he were so...why is it that he would be having dalliances in Vegas with his wife 7 mos. pregnant with their about-to-be first born. Cant resist this..I understand he is a republican. Did he say "family values"?

Posted by: mendonsa | December 3, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

This story isn't new, nor will it be the last time you'll hear it. Assuming a personal moral high ground doesn't negate or prevent such actions. Tiger got wrapped up in super stardom, and all that comes with it. Again, no surprises.

I recall plenty of sports related sex scandals that commanded headlines for a short while, but eventually slipped from America's ADD addled brains.

Some standouts are the Minnesota Vikings "Sex Cruise" in 2005, or perhaps the Cowboys "Sex Castle" near their training facility throughout the 90's.

This will pass, people will forget, and Tiger will move on. Terrible problems he has made for himself - but they are his problems. His mistakes.

Everyone needs to get off his back and worry about their own missteps, to which no one is immune. Chastising millionaires in the void of cyberspace accomplishes nothing.

Posted by: trident420 | December 3, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

OUTSTANDING!

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | December 3, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't cry private-cry!! I would forgive but, you would be the best husband and dad ever in life too-believe that. In private-oh hell yeah-it would be a private slap down for "Ms. call me" B" private that lawsuit for alienation would be arriving at her door" signed sealed and delivered and that bat on her head if she came 5 inches near me.

Posted by: Scar1 | December 3, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Any idea what par is for that hole?

Posted by: TheProFromDover | December 3, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This is what happens when society reveres and rewards IDIOTS who play with little balls and trying put them into Holes in the ground. Think about how stupid that is for a moment--trying to put little balls into holes in the ground. Is that the best the supposedly great human mind can come up with? These Morons in these stupid games are Jerks and Idiots who pay to watch these Morons are all Idiots as well. They even called the Obese Alcoholics who try to put small balls into holes in the ground, atheletes. This is true for all sports, it is all Idiotic. This Jerk is doing how many of these scummy females while impregnating his stupid wife.

Posted by: mawt | December 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

How many STDs does this Idiot playing with small balls and holes in the ground have now? How many STDs did he give his wife? Why are all these scummy skanks messing with these Idiots in sports? These are the Morons of the world. Too many Idiots believe sports is so great but when one thinks about it. Sports is completely idiotic especially Morons playing with tiny balls and trying top put them in holes in the ground. How stupid are humans to pay Idiots to do this?

Posted by: mawt | December 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

TO: creeper92 who wrote:
"What disturbs me the most about these revelations is that a man who seemingly had it all wasn't satisfied. That's the same thing that destroyed my feeling for Bill Clinton."
__________________________

Hey, don't mess with Bill. Leave my Billy alone!

Judging by the way his wife chased after the SUV and broke out the windows, I'd say that's pretty much a reason in itself for a man to not want a woman -- she's too violent.

If Tiger hadn't lied for her, she'd be charged with attempted murder for trying to hit him with that golf club.

You'll recall that one of the Kennedy kids is doing time right now for killing his neighbor over love, or a lack thereof.

Posted by: lindalovejones | December 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Look, to restate the obvious, Tiger Woods stopped being the “guy next door entitled to his privacy” a very long time ago.

Tiger Woods has marketed his public persona for years – and been handsomely paid for it. At some point, Tiger made the decision to exploit his celebrity for cash, and now he is “shocked, shocked I tell you” that the tabloids are hounding him. I honestly have a hard time feeling sorry for him. The celebrity-for-cash blade cuts both ways.

The thing I don’t get is: what having an affair has to do with running over a mailbox and hitting a tree. I strongly suspect that driving like that (at 2:25 AM) has more to do with having a bottle of tequila than having an affair. If this were you or me (without Team Tiger’s passel of attorneys) we’d be cooling our heels in the county jail, probably as Big Bob’s love slave, and probably for a good long while.

I feel sorry for Tiger Woods like I feel sorry for Merrill-Lynch, AIG, and General Motors.

Posted by: robertjonezz | December 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ruth, May I respectfully suggest that there is a different issue at work here. It's not personal privacy, but hypocrisy. Tiger has made a billion dollars off his adoring fans, in large part because he was a gifted athlete whom you could admire. When the public persona on which he made money is in conflict with his private life, then his private life goes into the public domain.

Yes, sorry to say, the rules are different for the rich and famous than they are for the rest of us. When their success depends on public approval, they don't get to run and hide when there is something the public doesn't like.

Posted by: trr2 | December 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Marcus,

I was puzzled by your comment that you didn't like Blake's "Tyger" poem.

It is one of the most famous poems in English Literature, and more to the point, there doesn't seem anything not to like in it.

It is beautifully paced and rhymed and asks a profound philosphical question about good and evil.

Again, what's not to like ?

Posted by: arbcnslrs | December 3, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, doesn't matter at all who does what, Ruthie thinks.

Just don't rattle her supremely supreme self with it all. She's so above it all, doesn't relate. She thinks she doesn't.

Posted by: whistling | December 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Given the quality of the female suspects so far...

the shrieking thing would be a nice clean seven months pregnant having that

dirty oft used thing around the house near the unborn one. Ugh and eeeuw.

Posted by: whistling | December 3, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Agree that Tiger's personal life is his own business. As a man, I find it interesting that none of the women involved are being castigated. Also, when Barbara Walters revealed on TV that she had an affair with Senator Brookes it didn't even raise an eyebrow. Double standard anyone?

Posted by: cdierd1944 | December 3, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Ha! "I did not have sex with that woman!"

Posted by: 2009frank | December 3, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas, baby. Oh, and you might want to get an HIV test. Love, Tiger.

Posted by: Original1 | December 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"While his wife was seven months pregnant. "
**************************

That's often when it happens, Ruth. Doesn't seem right, but, biology is an awfully strong imperative.

Posted by: abqcleve | December 3, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I meant to add, the Blake poem is fantastic, Ruth; what don't you like/get about it? You're certainly quoting wittily enough from it!

Posted by: abqcleve | December 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

In spite of his massive accomplishments we must not forget that "Tiger" is still very much a young, inexperienced in life, man. He simply happens to have a lot of money. I assure you, if his father was still alive none of this would have occurred. Let this man-child grow up. He will learn.

Posted by: dhampton100 | December 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retabroad | December 3, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Is Ruth Marcus hitting on Tiger?

Posted by: Colonel4 | December 3, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I stand with Ruth's original premise. Mr. Woods private life is none of my business. So far everything is gossip with no substantiation. Leave the man alone to work out whatever his problems are with himself and his family. Life is tough - even if one is rich.

Posted by: Kansas28 | December 3, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Tiger is a smuck who is about to loose everything because he could not keep it in his shorts.

Posted by: KBlit | December 3, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I Think Tiger should change his first name to "Cheetah".

Posted by: fabricmaven1 | December 3, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

There is a sportman in India who plays a game called Cricket. His name is Sachin T. The guy has scored over 30,000 runs in both the instant form and long 5-day form of cricket.( each run between six stumps placed at some 21 yards is considered a run). But then he has had to face fast bowlers and spinners and some ten players waiting to stop the ball, like our baseball players. He is a demi-god in India. Almost every move, every word he utters is lapped up by crazy legion of fans. The guy is young: 35. Has two kids and a wife. Not once has he made a false move, not once has he been mired in any controversy. Other sportsmen from Australia, England and South Africa, New Zealand and others consider him to be an epitome of grace and character. The likes of Woods will gain by reading more about this guy. His accomplishments are possibly greater when compared with Woods' swings on and off the golf course.

Posted by: hughes_168 | December 3, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Tiger--and maybe you?, are blaming the media for this circus. Here is a Stanford-edudated man who succumbs to temptation with celebrity-chasing cocktail waitresses / hostesses? It's himself who in the first instance is to blame for all this. What a mess for his family. Like Clinton et al, Tiger may never learn that he is not above the rules.

Posted by: farhorizons | December 3, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

* Tiger's new movie is out: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Hydrant.

* Apparently the police asked Tiger's wife how many times she hit him.
She said "I don't know exactly... but put me down for a 5."

* Tiger Woods is so rich that he owns lots of expensive cars. Now he has
a hole-in-one.

* Elin's excuse? She had to play a bad lie.

* What's the difference between a car and a golf ball? Tiger can drive a
ball 400 yards.

* What were Tiger Woods and his wife doing out at 2.30 in the morning?
They went clubbing.

* Tiger Woods crashed into a fire hydrant and a tree. He couldn't decide
between a wood and an iron.

* Why did Tiger leave the house so early? He has a 2:30 tree time.

* What do a Cadillac SUV and a Nike golf ball have in common? Tiger
Woods can drive them both into the trees.

Posted by: OCObserver | December 3, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Tiger misrepresented himself claiming a good guy image, when he's really a liar and a cheater, to gain hundreds of millions of dollars of advertiser endorsement contracts.

Now he should either take the lumps that he deserves or give all that endorsement money back to the consumer who had to pay elevated product prices for the products he endorsed!!!!!

Posted by: imiga | December 3, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment posted by retabroad:

"It's ridiculous for anyone to hold up as a hero someone who makes his living hitting a little ball into holes. Having said that, Tiger committed fraud, manufacturing a wholesome image for the sole purpose of reaping $1 billion in endorsement money. That is why this should not be private. Sordid details we do not need. Knowing that Tiger snookered a lot of people and got rich doing it, yes we do need to know that."

Posted by: imiga | December 3, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

The Tiger Woods 'scandal': reminding us yet once again that celebrities are just ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. And, often, they are VERY ordinary. Frequently, those possessed of great wealth--and power--are convinced that the rules of the game don't apply to them. This is always reinforced by a 'posse' or army of sycophants who fawn over their every thought, word, and deed. Woods will hunker now and just wait for the next big story to whisk him off the front pages. It'll be interesting to see if that really works. What will the public reaction be the next time he shows up for a tournament? Theoretically, he may never show up again. If he's really worth $600M, why bother? He hates interacting with the public anyway. Maybe he'll recede into the background and become a full-time designer of golf courses. But courses are closing all over the country so that might not fly. Maybe he'll just go float on his big old boat and say screw the public for awhile. I wouldn't mind if I didn't see that red shirt on Sundays again. Ever.

Posted by: ctenwith | December 3, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The last two years when Tiger played here in Tucson he did not do well. He was grumpy and rude. Everybody has a bad day here and there, but I think that says alot about his character. I am not a sports person and still think that the money we pay gifted athletes is just wrong. I know alot of people who give much more to the world who make very little money.
That being said, I do feel sorry for him and his family. No one very gave me as much money and fame...don't know what I would do if I had people coming up to me everyday making offers. I am also concerned about whether or not his wife was physically hitting him...if she had been a man, people would be outraged. He broke his marriage vows, but no one, even a spouse has a right to physcially abuse a person no matter what they have done.

Posted by: tlusk58 | December 3, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your sharing.i bring u some interesting.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful !http://www.shopstyletoday.com

Posted by: nisnsd | December 3, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods can't get enough of them white women and he has no respect for the president because Michelle Obama looks like a pit bull.

Posted by: mock1ngb1rd | December 3, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

And the Post keeps passing out crack candy for its more co-dependent readers who cannot seem to keep from fretting over the lives of people they never met and never will.

Hype the world's 104,785th most important story till the cows come home. I guess that's what you do when your product is facing extinction?

(I have not read beyond the first line of this article. Apologies if some new revelation in it suddenly makes it relevant to my or any other American's life, beyond that of the Woods family.)

Posted by: B2O2 | December 3, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

""Ms. Marcus, you're still wrong. Mr. Woods sold his privacy for $1 billion. He sold himself relentlessly for over a decade, and created an entirely false image to boot.""

Mr. Woods did not sell his privacy. He is one of the best golfers the game has ever seen. The well deserved 'image' of him being a great golfer is not false. In fact it isn't an image. He really is outstanding.

Is he a perfect husband/father/person? I dunno. Is anyone?

Posted by: CFL68 | December 3, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

then again what do the pundits (including of the journalistic variety) know?

Posted by: daphne5 | December 4, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Q&A from Tiger's web site 11/20/09:

Do you enjoy playing so far away from home? I can imagine that, now that you have children, it's got to be hard to be so far away from them.
— Rupert from Houston

You're exactly right, Rupert. Now, it's very difficult to leave Elin and the children, and I'm sure it's only going to get tougher. Once Sam and Charlie start school, it won't be easy to take them out of class for a week-long trip. A veteran pro once told them it's tough to leave them as babies, but once they ask you not to go, it breaks your heart. That's something I'll always remember.

Posted by: mxyzptlk1 | December 4, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

O How the mighty have fallen!!
I have no sympathy for a serial cheater who has been boffing women for the bulk of his marriage. He's obviously got an ego which requires endless stroking and he is not able to be content with mundane things such as a gorgeous wife, tons of dosh, and 2 healthy kids.
I hope he grows the cahuna's to go on Late Night just so I can see him asked, "Man, what were you thinking???".
He's an idiot and his career will implode a bit because of this debacle.
He will try and be a good boy for a while but will be out cattin' around in no time. His now-to-be-forever-known-as Long-Suffering Wife Elin will stick it out for a few more years and then dump him when some other tart shows up in the tabs.
Sad but predictably true I fear.
And, people who live their lives using the press to their advantage must also be able to bear the brunt of it when their actions are untoward. If they want privacy, then they need to become anonymous dolts like the rest of us.

Posted by: Forked427 | December 4, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't care about Tiger Woods or his wife or his alleged mistresses. What I *do* care about is the actions of Florida law enforcement.

If I -- your basic 50+ surplus (unemployed) journalist -- got into my old Jeep Cherokee and ran it into a hydrant at 2:30 a.m. in the middle-class Florida mobile home community where I live, do you think either the Manatee County sheriffs deputies or the Florida Highway Patrol would leave me alone for three days at my request?

Not a chance. I'd instantly be alcohol-tested and probably busted. And, if there was evidence that my wife had been beating my Jeep with a golf club (which would be hard to tell, it's so old and dented), I'm sure she'd be taken to the nearest lockup, too.

Mmm hmmmm.

Posted by: roblimo | December 4, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I completely disagree with this article.

Sure you may not want to know the lurid details. At least you say that in your article. About the lurid details. You and Tiger and a w hole lot of other people are missing the point. The point is not that he has an expectation of privacy, we all know that. To a certain degree everyone does. That doesn't mean that they have an expectation of BLANKET privacy. That doesn't mean that the public does not have a right to know if he is cheating on his wife. They may not have a right to know every lurid detail (and sure, publishing those details is not necessarily in the best interest of anyone) but by the same point Tiger simply cannot expect to sit behind his curtain and do whatever he wants and get away with it. Merely issuing a public statement is an admission of this.

And it sounds like his "privacy" is half his problem. It has given him the means to get away with this for so long. I mean this is just ridiculous (an ongoing long-running affair with some skankooza in Las Vegas? Give me a break) and he sitll hasn't owned up to the full extent of things.

And of course now you have the apologists, the "boys will be boys" crowd, undoubtedly a bunch of Republicans and clergymen are going to hold him up as their new Jesus..."don't cast your stones at me, cast them at Tiger Woods!" Surely there is a Frenchman or two raising a glass to Tiger in toast, eh?

Just great. Just what we need.

Hint: I'm being sarcastic. In case your ethics have slipped to the point where you can't realize that on your own.

Posted by: dubya1938 | December 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Plus what he is not getting also is that he is in the process of trading whatever respect he had in the eyes of the public and whatever credibility he still has, away in his misguided demand for privacy.

That is just not going to happen, especially if there are real legal issues involved here. TW is living in a dreamworld if he thinks that the media isn't going to feast on this. There is probably no bigger story than this for them to feast on. No higher mountain to fall off than the one he is on except maybe if Obama were caught in an affair next week with an Iranian woman.

At this point he's like a 15 year old boy in a state prison complaining that he shouldn't be used as a sextoy.

Posted by: dubya1938 | December 4, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

...besides if he thinks it's bad now, wait until the Tour starts up again. He's going to be heckled like he doesn't even know what "heckled" means. Aside from the fact that there will be 50 women offering themselves to him, openly, on every course. Hell they're going to have to provide security for him.

Posted by: dubya1938 | December 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Marcus and so many of the commenters remain deluded. I would bet there are many undropped shoes out there yet. I reject that Tiger was gallantly protecting his wife by calling for privacy. He wants control, not privacy. He is just lucky that the cops were called off. If a lesser human had driven so erratically and then been barefoot and snoring (!) in the street, evidence would have been taken and more serious charges would have been brought. Tiger is a fool. Whatever Nicklaus was, he was and is not a fool, so I will be rooting for his record to stand.

Posted by: annegreen | December 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

OUTSTANDING!

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | December 3, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

______________________

Men will stop having affairs when women start to Lorraina BOBBIT them. (and make sure the member can't be found)
NUF SAID

Posted by: kare1 | December 4, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

How high-minded of you to quote Blake and to work in Webster and Hamilton when discussing a philandering professional athlete. What exactly were you reconsidering? That you basically asked everyone to leave Tiger Woods alone the first time? Or that you underestimated how much of a sleaze-bag he turns out to be?

Posted by: steve-o5 | December 4, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I agree with others who wonder how Marcus can speak bluntly about Tiger and Clinton and others, but completely ignore the fact that they weren't playing with themselves. There were women involved. How about a column on those female types who so willingly throw themselves at the big shots. It does, after all, take two to tango, and to do several other things I can think of.

Posted by: gene4655 | December 5, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Contrary to the so-called "experts," the right thing for Tiger and family to do is get on with their lives in privacy. The people that Tiger owes an apology and explanation to will speak with him face to face.

The rest of us can stop giving people like Uchitel, Grubbs, Gloria Allred and the other exploitative media wh*res any airtime or oxygen. When no ones pays attention to them, they will go away. I'm looking forward to the day when Gloria Allred cancels a press conference because no one came.

Time to move on and let the Woods family resolve their problems in privacy. Time for Tiger to get back to doing what he does best (well, come January) and that is making a big statement on the course. With a win.

Posted by: jade_7243 | December 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Except that Tiger has been marketing "I'm Tiger Woods" to kids for about a decade. He has a responsibility to own up to his new, tarnished image. Just like Steamboat Willy had to own responsibility for taking advantage of someones daughter who was getting "the experience of a lifetime" as a White House intern.

Posted by: jahs4fun | December 7, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

These guys need to read more. Sometimes Tigers are the hunted. This one was an easy catch. Perhaps he needs to reassume his given name now that he has betrrayed his lack of any tiger instincts. He also needs to read Aesop's Fables' The Dog and the bone and have a review of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

Posted by: Draesop | December 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Who's Tiger Woods? Is he an interracial porn star?

Posted by: mock1ngb1rd | December 7, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse