Hey, Congress: don't ask, do!

Now, where was I? Right. Congressional lameness.

This came to mind when I read Politico's story about how folks on Capitol hill "are growing increasingly worried over the lack of a detailed White House road map for passing a repeal" of "don't ask don't tell." A detailed plan from the White House? Man up, people! Last I checked -- and School House Rock backs me up on this -- Congress is a co-equal branch of government.

But the men and women of Capitol Hill can't seem to adjust to having a president who treats them as such. Under President Bush, Congress was treated like staff. The executive had the plans and the legislative branch basically did what it was told. Checks and balances were seemingly for sissies then. Not today. President Obama, constitutional law professor he, actually wants them to do their jobs. And they can't handle it.

According to Politico, House Dems are afraid that without hand-holding from the White House, whatever they accomplish on repealing the ban on gays serving openly in the military will disappear in that legislative black hole otherwise known as the Senate.

Those suffering from PTSD from the battle 17 years ago that led to "don't ask don't tell" need to get over it. Three polls out this week show strong public backing. The Post/ABC News poll
puts support for allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military at 75 percent. A quirky New York Times poll shows that 59 percent support "permitting homosexuals" to serve openly while 70 percent are in favor of "permitting gay men and lesbians" to do so. And a Quinnipiac University National Poll puts support for repeal at 57 percent, with 66 percent calling current policy "discriminatory."

Meanwhile, Rep. Patrick J. Murphy (D-Penn.) has 187 co-sponsors and at least 24 commitments to vote yes on his bill to overturn "don't ask don't tell." That's 211 votes, seven short of passage. And the Pentagon laid out its plan last week for how it is preparing for when the law is repealed. Not if -- when. So, Democrats, stop fretting and get about the business of doing.

By Jonathan Capehart  | February 12, 2010; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The way things were
Next: Why we need a manual on mental disorders

Comments

Having trained in the universal Experimental Unit, in Ft Knox,Ky the subject was never brought up. It was another Boo-Boo by the Clinton Circus. Slick Willie Clinton had never been in the Service, no experience,
in anything accept his time in the Ivy Leagues. Why can't these soldiers be left alone? Sounds like harassment to me.

Posted by: umt123 | February 12, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

They want to repeal it but they don't want to pay for it. The purse is empty paying for the "entitlement programs" and given the number of homosexuals in the military and in society in general I doubt they thing their votes are worth buying right now. So they will slow leak the repeal.

Posted by: staterighter | February 12, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

A popular political argument for permitting homosexuals to serve openly in the Marine Corps is that otherwise qualified Marines are being lost to the Corps solely due to their sexuality. That argument is unabashedly simplistic in failing to include the impact of homosexual Marines serving openly on Marines of conscience. In the first instance, the very nature of being Marines of conscience will prompt many of them to extricate themselves from such associations. A notable example of that imperative is the following Marine: On 2 February 1983, Captain Charles B. "Chuck" Johnson, USMC, of Neenah, Wisconsin jumped on an Israeli tank that tried to run through a Marine roadblock in Lebanon. He threatened to shoot the tank commander if he continued: The tank withdrew. Later, that Marine officer of conscience resigned his commission rather than compromise his moral convictions and serve with practitioners of homosexual acts tacitly protected by, "Don't ask. Don't tell." That action was a manifestation of the Biblical imperative voiced in The Epistle of James 2:14-26 that convictions are worthless unless practiced. If the United States Congress reverses itself and permits homosexuals Marines to serve openly, they will force from service and replace still more Marines who value and practice their conscience.

For the rest of this thesis, go to: http://www.thebutter-cutter.com/Marines_of_Conscience_or_Ho.php

Posted by: MAJUSMCRET | February 13, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I love the video! I haven't seen that in years... Thank you! I think they should bring that into schools!

I am in the Army. I will just say this:
There are far more important issues facing our Nation, Military, People. Make a freaking decision and let's move on to other issues! Don't take this the wrong way. It is very important, but really is an easy one to decide. Especially with health Care, etc.

Reminds me of a Maryland (Annappolis) bill being talked about: Should Annapolis allow Motorcycle Dealers be open on Sundays?

I can't believe they are WASTING time on this!!!! Easy. Ask the motorcycle dealers, and ask the People. Do you want to be open/ And do the People want it open? Who Cares!!!! One politician is threatning to kill the bill unless they talk about car sales as well!!! What a Waste of time and OUR $$$ with these EASY decisions!!!

O.K. I am done. Thanks for reading...

Posted by: mikenewman | February 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, M. Capeheart! I share your frustration with the Dems wasting their majority for not being able to act as adults! That's what cost them the health care bill as well! Why do they need all this guidance and road-maps and such, as if they were in kindergarten? Please do send this column to the Democratic leadership in both houses, required reading today and everyday day until Dems understand what they want to be when they grow up!

Posted by: harsa1dp | February 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

There are dozens of jokes about why women always go to public restrooms in pairs. When and if "Don't ask, don't tell" is repealed we will suddenly see manly warriors, soldiers, sailors, and marines going to the latrine/head only in pairs so as to protect their reputation.

Pity the young warrior who is found alone in the latrine/head, however incidental, with an admitted homosexual. Labeled for life.

Posted by: Lazarus40 | February 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I think it is hilarious that a sizable proportion find a difference between allowing "homosexuals" and "gay men and lesbians" to serve in the armed forces. I'd like to hear one of the respondants explain that one. I just wanted to point out that the statistics you cite in the NYT/CBS poll are not for people who believe they should serve openly, but rather that they should serve (incl. DADT). Thanks for the article tho!

Posted by: denial1 | February 14, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but to me a jobs bill and reforming our broken health care system take precedence over the welfare of gays in the military. I mean, yes, I agree that a good soldier is a good soldier regardless of sexual orientation, but I suspect that even the gayest and not-tellingest military member worries about his or her unemployed and/or uninsured friends and relatives.

Posted by: roblimo | February 14, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse