Armao need not apologize about the snow

Jo-Ann Armao need not be the least apologetic for poking fun at us as we weep and wail over the snow we've been getting. She's from Buffalo, and she knows snow. I, too, lived on the Niagara Frontier for two years at an Army post in Youngstown, N.Y. We saw snow from November to April.

Can you top this? Imagine your car breaking down in the middle of the Grand Island Bridge -- which links Buffalo with surrounding communities -- after midnight in a howling snowstorm, and your wife is wearing an evening gown and short jacket and you are in an Army dress blue uniform with no overcoat. And you're stuck there for what seems like hours. It happened in '63. I haven't set foot in Buffalo since.

By Colbert King  | February 10, 2010; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  King  | Tags:  Colbert King
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Okay, maybe Washington is experiencing a blizzard
Next: Colby King's horrifying winter experience

Comments

Except that we have had as much or more snow than Buffalo this year and because it is a highly unusual once in history event do not have the huge investment in snow removal equipment that Buffalo takes for granted.

Posted by: rit21042 | February 10, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"Can you top this?"

Yes, Mr.King, I probably can. Oh, the heartbreak of Bowling Green, Ohio, January 1978. I will start out by saying: At least you HAD a car, and yada, yada, the rest.
To this day, it is all still too painful to talk about...

Posted by: martymar123 | February 10, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm from New York and we are freezing our butts off. Can anyone on here suggest a place with extreme Global warming as we would like to take a short winter vacation ...

Posted by: james_m_reilly1 | February 10, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Erie, PA and the past week here rivals the weather in that region (snow belt East of the Great Lakes). As noted, one big difference is that the local state and county governments have the equipment and experienced crews to deal with this amount of snow. Another major factor is that most people there have snow tires, with tire chains and maybe a couple sandbags in the trunk.

Posted by: Bushman1969 | February 10, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I grew up on a farm in rural NW Iowa. Winter always meant carrying 5 gallon buckets of hot water from the house to the animal lots to thaw frozen water fountains--a task I hated when initiated at 6 years old (extra trips then because I couldn't yet carry full buckets). In the blizzard of '73 our cattle were stranded in the corn fields where they grazed to clean up corn that had fallen off the stalks during harvest. I was 8 years old, and had walked up a large hill to a steer that had ice and snow caked on its face and could not see. When he heard me coming, he charged as a defensive move. I fell, and luckily didn't get trampled.
I moved to Texas when I got out of high school, and this winter I'm wishing I hadn't moved up here 16 years ago.
Fortunately, I don't have kids or grandkids to bore with 'when I was your age' stories!

Posted by: streff | February 10, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

This is a mere 'dusting' compared to upstate New York ...

Posted by: Slvrbk | February 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Here in Rochester, NY, some of us are lamenting this year's sparse snowfall - which means infrequent x-c skiing, etc. Places W and E of here have been more fortunate, and the snowlovers among us always point to the winter paradise of Tug Hill, north of Syracuse in the Lake Ontario snowbelt. If I remember right, one Tug Hill town, Montague, back in the 1970s accumulated a record annual snowfall of 466 inches. Up there, communities vie for the championship, since snow fuels the winter recreational economy. But heck, it's also beautiful; if you're gonna have snow, you might as well have a big helping!

Posted by: jbspula | February 10, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

This is a lot of snow for one week, in Syracuse this would be a lot. What's amazing about DC, however, is the rendezvous of child-like idiocy by drivers in the snow (and yes, that means those of you with a Hyundai accent "suddenly" stuck on the street for hours, blocking everyone else) and the unbelievable incompetence of city managers, whom decided to take the 5 ton plows off the road. I've never seen plows not work. They'll never dig the city out now.

Posted by: skDC1000 | February 10, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm originally from Orchard Park, NY. I sure do remember the rough winters. After living in many snow cities (Boston, Chicago and Denver), I have to say the snow removal here is a little slow.

Posted by: OPnewyork | February 10, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

WTF? this is not normal for the area, of course we aren't prepared. Hell, I lived in Kodiak, AL for a year and saw way more snow and ice there for the entire year. That in no way means we are wimps in DC because we don't spend $$S on crap we don't need 99% of the time. The worst thing is that our government will now want to increase the "snow" budget due to this unlikely event happening again. sigh...

Posted by: datdamwuf2 | February 10, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree with skDC1000. As a Syracuse native, I know this is a lot of snow by any standard. Even Syracuse or some of its northern exurbs (such as Oswego if you know the area at all) would be slowed down by the Friday-Saturday snowfall.

The difference is that Syracuse school children would have been at school on Monday. I understand there are less resources here, but it seems like VDOT and the local DPW folks are just clueless in how to dispatch these plows.

Also, people in Syracuse don't drive like idiots as well. I know how to drive in snow. My Civic has made it through snow in CNY what was coming up over the hood. I won't head out here out of fear of some "important" guy in his Escalade that thinks 4WD means going 80 and tailgating is OK. Not to mention the helpless cases in their Mustangs and Corvettes. I feel for you if you need to make it your office and don't have a Jeep, but if you don't have to, get the heck off the road. If you do have a Jeep, realize you can't drive like you do when its sunny and 80 out.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | February 10, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Your comments are so cute... MN is having a wonderful winter after many years of non-winters- with many feet of snow falling and great skiing, sledding and snowman making. We have mountains of snow, no school cancelations, no government shut downs and business as usual. Another storm is rolling in and it will be a lovely thing. FIre up the snowmobile and take a ride... enjoy.

Shovel often, drive cautiously, assume you will slip as you walk and just enjoy. Go fishing on a frozen pond for goodness sake. Winter lasts six months out of the year here. It makes you enjoy summer and fall (I do not believe that spring exists).

Another hint- watch for the flooding in the "spring.". A sudden warm up will turn creeks into rivers and rivers into moving lakes. Not fun. Be prepared.

Posted by: Eumctom | February 10, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

With due respect to Mr. King... his vignette illustrates a key difference between someone from Washington, and someone from NYS. Only a fool would travel the roads of western NY in the winter without a full emergency kit in the car--blankets, extra coats, rations, etc. It's all about being prepared.

That level of preparedness applies to your home and your community, too. After all the yelling and screaming about being prepared for another terrorist attack, I'm shocked that so many in the DC area had to run out and get milk, bread and TP before the storm. C'mon people; take some personal responsibility!

Lastly, Capital Weather Gang said that most local governments in the metro budget for 20 inches of snow per year. What did they do with the money that they DIDN'T spend when they got less than 20 inches?

Posted by: dgloo | February 10, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo is a cow town. I think Prince William County VA has a larger population. When is rush hour in Buffalo anyhow? When steel mills change shifts? Do they even have the concept of a rush hour in Buffalo? I grow weary of transplants from snow belt cities of less than three hundred thousand who cop some kind of superiority complex about the handling of major snowfalls in the DC-Arl-Alex-Fairfax-Mont-PG metro area. Yes it must be very easy to navigate the snow covered streets of a city where half of the local population seems to be parked in their respected neighborhood bar. Good old Buffalo, where rush hour is still only an hour. And yes, I have been to Buffalo and even by Buffalo standards, this is some kick a$& snow. The big difference being that we have 8 times the population and a high percentage of that goes to work everyday. So shut up and grab a shovel.

Posted by: ntrlsol | February 10, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

As soon as the airports reopen, I recommend a party charter to Reykjavik, Iceland. According to NBC4, the current temperature is a relatively balmy 45 degrees. Plus, they have hot springs.

Right now, that beats both Buffalo and DC.

Posted by: MillPond2 | February 10, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, Colby --

The beef I had (can't speak for others) wasn't so much with her attitude toward Washingtonians' snow abilities (or lack of same), it was more about her by-the-book misreading of the definition of "blizzard." Your own newspaper characterized the first snowstorm as a "blizzard" or, at least, as bringing "near-blizzard" conditions -- high winds, heavy snow, low visibility, all of which occurred Friday night. Now, we're experiencing those conditions again.

She can say whatever she wants about natives of this area, but resorting to semantics (and using a cautious NWS spokesperson to make her case) in order to belittle the significance of the snowstorm(s) is, well, kinda stupid -- especially when you work at a newspaper that is having trouble keeping subscribers.

I'm astonished that you, Mister District of Columbia himself, would defend her.

Lastly, putting her and Capehart's comments together in today's paper was insensitive. If thousands more are left without power because of today's storm, I suggest Armao and Capehart invite them to their homes for some New York-style chili.

Posted by: steve20912 | February 10, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

This is Bushs fault! Or perhaps Cheney's!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | February 10, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"Can anyone on here suggest a place with extreme Global warming as we would like to take a short winter vacation ..."
*****
Vancouver

Posted by: squier13 | February 10, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in the Buffalo area and saw a lot of snow, but I can't top the Grand Island Bridge story. That's scary. I never liked crossing that bridge on a sunny summer day. It angles up like a roller coaster to an apparent height of about 2,000 feet over the Niagara River. You can see the mist rising from the Falls downstream, so you know that if you leave your lane, which is narrow even for motorcycles, and go through the fragile-looking guard rail, and somehow survive the plunge to the river, and somehow don't drown, you'll have three minutes to enjoy your good fortune before the river current sweeps you over Niagara Falls. That bridge is about the last place I'd want to be late at night during a snowstorm.

At least you survived, though. You probably heard that during the Blizzard of '77, the Skyway and the Father Baker Bridge had dozens of cars stranded. A lot of people stayed in their cars and waited for help. The snows was coming off the lake and quickly buried the stranded cars. It was a week before the bodies could be pulled out.

Posted by: pundito | February 10, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

To all of you snow-weary folks in the other Washington: Come out to Seattle for a break. This January was the warmest January since record-keeping began. Daytime temps have been in the 50s, and you might even see the sun, a rare treat in these parts in February. Lots of great shopping at Pike Place Market, and not a flake of snow within miles.

Posted by: Burkean | February 10, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Would all you NY'ers give me a break!! I am a native of this area, ok. We have a snow like this once in how many years where you NY'ers have it every year. No, we are not prepared for this equipment wise, manpower wise, etc. Please remember we have drivers from all over the world. Some of whom have never seen snow, talk about driving in it (including some of the plow drivers). Just sit back with a hot drink and enjoy. Life is too short. Help dig a neighbor out as you walk to your grocery story or local Starbucks, offer to bring back a loaf of bread or gallon of milk on your way back. Bake some bread or cookies for the lady down the stree with the two little girls and a husband who is laid up with a broken leg having slipped on the ice, or make a snow man with the family on the block that has a Mom or Dad who has been deployed. As I said, life is too short. ENJOY!!

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | February 10, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Mr.King's story needs the additional commentary "pundito" provided. Very scary indeed.

I'm not quite as old as Mr.King but have lived in the midwest for over half a century, through the snowstorms of Michigan, blizzards of Ohio and the paralyzing ice storms we get here in southwest Missouri.

Comparing bad weather is like comparing misbehaving women, or maybe, if you are a woman, caddish men. There are so many different kinds of awful, and at the same time, perversely beautiful, stuff. And as with our love affairs, the only stories that really matter are the ones that happen to you. Other people's snow stories are just so much fluff.

Posted by: martymar123 | February 10, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I am from Watertown, NY (think opposite end of Lake Ontario from Buffalo) and I feel like I am right back at home in early January! Only difference is I dont have a snowblower, cars park on the street limiting plows effectiveness, there are 20 plows compared to a small army, salt and sand is used before actually plowing streets, drivers just have NO CLUE. Hint: when stuck people do not gas it thinking more wheel spinning is somehow miraculously going to remove your car from being stuck. You are actually making your situation much worse! I think those of us from the great lakes region who have dealt with lake effect understand what it means to drive in the snow using feel. Case is point I have a Honda Civic and have not been stuck once. There are two reasons for this....1) I dont try to drive my 4 cylinder rear wheel drive car down a street or alleyway that has 2+ feet of snow that has not been plowed. 2) see above. Less is more when it comes to the gas pedal in this weather. All of this makes for a city that has to effectively shut down for a week or more.

Posted by: jkraeg | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Blizzard of 2001 - 8 feet of snow over 5 days.

Buffalo wins. Or loses. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Posted by: reiflame1 | February 10, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I'm so thankful for these threads, I have one heck of a time convincing my US friends that Buffalo and upstate NY get one heck of a lot more bad weather than does either Quebec or Ontario....but most people won't believe it.

Posted by: sjag1 | February 10, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

What's been conspicuously missing is that the pop media hasn't been expounding much on how this extreme weather is really being caused by "carbon forcing" from an increase of 0.010% of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere over the past century, which is causing catastrophic global warming to occur everywhere.
I've got a nice big bridge in New York you'd probably be interested in buying, too!

Posted by: Doowadiddy | February 10, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

As a former western new yorker I have found the only thing missing from this storm is the moronic snowmobilers sailing across the roads and highways, tearing through fields I clearly remember (from the 77 storm) snow piles 16 feet high on both sides of the road, driving down the avenue nand zoom right in front of me a snowmobile, at least 12 feet in air crossing the road. Don't miss that one bit

Posted by: shanmu | February 10, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

jkraeg, your Civic is FRONT wheel drive, not rear wheel.

Posted by: tjhopkins | February 10, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to chime in also as this week reminds me of my childhood.

First thing first, don't lump Upstate NY as one. We hate when downstate does it and outside as well.

Second, Syracuse by far has the largest amount of snow. Onodaga, Oswego, Madison counties are hit frequently. Buffalo gets all the spotlight because it is a bigger city. In fact the city of Buffalo and Niagara Falls gets no where near the snowfall as its 'Southtowns' suburbs.

Third, Upstate snow is not like what we just experienced. Even this will paralyze Syracuse. Syracuse would be Mon-Fri ... snow. but every day you get 2 inches, then 3 inches and then it is sunny for 1/2 hour then it snows again and again. CNYers (Central New Yorkers) are hardy souls but I think about 12 years ago when it snowed on Mother's Day was the day I thought a killing spree would have occurred.

Fourth, plowing in general. It is 2010 can we not think of a better alternative than hitching a big shovel onto the front of a truck and pushing? Plowing in DC this week has been awful. When it was sunny and 37 degrees NO snow plows to be found anywhere yet 4 inches of slush on every road. You don't have to live in Syracuse to realize that hey it might be a good idea to plow this

Fifth, allows us to slow down. We have done home projects, cleaned out the cellar, read books, played in the snow, video games chat with neighbors....the snow has a silver lining

Finally ... cue the news interviewing that one person that states 'I'm done I am moving to Florida'. Then track down that person when hurricane season starts and he/she is moving inland.

Posted by: jtsheldon1 | February 10, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

OK. We got a lot of snow. But the problem seems to be that not only is there a lack of equipment, but more importantly, a lack of a plan to deal with it. Require cars to be off the streets (or at the least enforce alternate side of the street parking) so plows can get thru. And how many of your car trips this week were really "essential". Our emergency service personnel have better things to do than push/pull/drag your sorry butts outta snow drifts. Stay home, read, talk to your significant other, walk next door to meet/greet your neighbors. Just stay out of the way so that plows and 1st responders can do their jobs

Posted by: cka1955 | February 10, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I hate these types of posts because people from places like Buffalo or Minnesota act like they lived in igloos and took baths in the lakes/rivers. Maybe you they do sit on the ice and fish but this is the Mid-Atlantic. Yes, DC is ill-prepared to deal with a snow storm of this magnitude, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this has been a massive snow storm. Though areas farther to the north might not take as long to recover, they still are still inconvenienced as much as we are at the onset.

Posted by: mmurphy6 | February 10, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

People from upstate NY know that global warming is progress!

Posted by: kevin9 | February 10, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Look at the difference a few miles makes. There are places in West Va that get pounded all winter by this ammount of snow..and its not really that far away. We are not prepared at all for this kind of snow. When i go to Wva, they are used to this ammount of snow and its buisness as usual.

Posted by: brent4a | February 10, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Great story, and your point about Ms. Armao's column is taken!

Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 10, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I think this is all part of the transition to becoming a hockey town. Go Caps.

Posted by: PrinceGeorges | February 10, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

O.K. A Western New Yorker here. Just want to say 2 things. First, the Blizzard of 77 is just an ancient bit of history. We do not have storms like yours every year, seriously; 5 inches of snow in my backyard right now. Second, to all those people who keep asking if they have to shovel out their car again after they shoveled it out once already: Yes. You keep digging out your car and sidewalk over and over, but wait until the snow stops. Save your backs! And for goodness sake, get out of Washington in summer and come to Western New York! Best summers in the U.S.!

Posted by: seck1 | February 10, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

to mmurphy6:

Actually- we are not all that inconvenienced by snow in MN. International Falls, MN brags that their schools have never had a snow day. Snow is a thing that happens, occasionally in great quantities. While it is true that flights get delayed and a few SUV's end up in the ditch, folks deal with it without coverage from the national news or breathtaking reports in the papers. Funny how attention to a weather event is directly proportional to how close reporters are to the snowfall.

I am serious though about spring flooding- watch out if it warms up. Floods are a far worse thing than snow.

Posted by: Eumctom | February 10, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Here in Vancouver we envy you. We are having the warmest winter on record, no snow (even on some of the local mountains), and the Winter Olympics beginning a a few days. Your snow is no case against global warming.

Posted by: mcke | February 10, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

True Blue Buffalonian here...this is a bad snow storm by any measure...BUT - the key is to enjoy it! Get out your sleds and cross country skis, get out in the snow and make a snow fort. That's what we do in Buffalo!

Posted by: AdventurerVA | February 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I can expertly say Upstate New York Oswego would have not been slowed by this much snow. It is however not a fair comparison.

Upstate New York is built for this type of weather in its infrastructure. Building connect underground to allow people to keep moving. Areas of movement are condensed around a small living space IE a town or center area to prevent the cold from hitting you. But somehow it still does. The comparison are not fair.

But here are some great photos of when Oswego finally set a record of 141 inches of snow. And yes 54 inches is a regular thing there.

Posted by: 411Tibby | February 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

My best memory of getting stuck in a snow storm in Buffalo, New York is when my brand new VW but got stuck in a snow bank as I was driving to work one blizzard morning.

Two large sized truck drivers stopped nearby, picked up my VW and put it back on the road and away I went.

Loved that VW! and appreciated kindness of the two strong guys!

Posted by: cdashef | February 10, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 411Tibby | February 10, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I live in Syracuse. We get a lot of snow. Getting 4 feet of snow in one week is a lot of snow by nearly any standard.

Some folks from the cold areas may not realize that the water content of the snow in the coastal and southern areas tends to be higher than we get in our areas. As a result, a foot of snow in DC may weigh up to twice as much as a foot of snow in the north where the temperatures tend to be much lower during a big storm. It will also take up more space with less compaction when plowed and piled.

On the other hand, we are used to driving and functioning in it. As a result, traffic moves fairly well even when the roads have not been plowed recently.

Posted by: raydh | February 10, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

This is a stupid question. I live in the north east now and we're seeing drastically less snow as you all have been getting buried. We just got 8 inches and because we're used to it and have the equipment it barely slows us down.

When the majority of your snow removal fleet consists of pickup trucks with a blade you're completely hosed when it dumps a foot at a time. Anyone who has lived in different areas of the country understands that the exact same weather has drastically different consequences in different areas of the country.

Get it together people; you're going through a weird 100 year Winter event.....it's ok to be overwhelmed and under prepared. Would you rather drop a fortune in state funds to buy up tons and tons of snow removal vehicles and then see 10 years of storms not topping 3 inches? That would be stupid.

Posted by: theobserver4 | February 10, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate all the Northerners understanding that the D.C. area simply does not have the equipment to remove all the snow in a timely manner. But it's more than that. Most other cities don't have the traffic woes and congestion of D.C.

Even on a good day, with all lanes clear, the traffic is hell. The morning commute lasts hours even when there are no problems. Throw in some sloppy lanes and blocked roads and you now have safety problems and folks on the road for hours trying to get to work and school.

Keeping things closed for an extra day or two is the right thing.

Posted by: sannnva | February 10, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope people have picked up on the theme of snowmobiles, x-country skiing, and the like--things most of us don't have--as well as noting that few folks have snowblowers or salt, sand, and emergency kits in their cars. Why? Because we don't get snow like this. Same as the local jurisdictions cannot justify the equipment our manpower to clean up after the likes of the storms we are living through. Think rational.
BTW, Chris Matthews comments are a joke and I'm glad Loose Lips in the Citipaper called him on it. And the editorial in the Examiner, well, it is the Examiner after all.

Posted by: streff | February 10, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're comparing NYS to Washington:

January 25: Syracuse 73--Georgetown 56

Posted by: dgloo | February 10, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Colbert King, you should write a book of memories, anecdotes, things you remember. Yours has been an extraordinary life during a period of great social change, the book would not only be fascinating to your contemporaries but valuable to people generations from now who wonder what was going on from 1940 to 2010.

Some of my best history profs suggested reading fiction from bygone eras as a way to get a better feel for the era than you can get by reading formal historical accounts.

I'm not suggesting that your memoirs would be fiction, but that they would be more like fiction (in their individual biographical detail) than the typical academic history of the period would be.

Always a pleasure to read you.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 10, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Spent last winter in Syracuse. If I'm not mistaken, it got 155 inches of snow. Yup.

They plowed. They plowed. Then they plowed again.

I don't remember the city ever being paralyzed.

It was cold. Very cold. It snowed an arse ton.

But, they plowed and you could drive around.

Kind of wish you could stay home - cuz it was damn cold.

Posted by: CF11555 | February 10, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

This is a lot of snow, it's atypical for this area, plus the population density is higher here than, say, upstate NY. Plus the moisture content of these snow storms is pretty darn high--it weighs a lot--I wonder if we won't have a higher percentage of roof collapses. I'm presuming many of the roofs in this area won't have as steep a pitch.

Now, if NYC isn't using any of those wonderful trucks that scoop and MELT the snow, to send it swirling down the drains, please send them here. I know, it would mean making people dig out and move their cars, but it's gotta happen sometime. It would be incredibly expensive and impractical for D.C. or any of the neighboring jurisdictions to purchase their own. Darn.

Yeah, I'm lugging out warm water from the house to the barn too. Doubling up the horses and preparing to BEG a friend of mine to loan me her snowblower this weekend. I've got to make it possible for a hay delivery or I'm totally

Posted by: Skowronek | February 10, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

"Stay home and drink a six pack"
- Former Buffalo Mayor Jimmy Griffin during the blizzard of 1985.

Posted by: jpj0281 | February 10, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I worked in the medical profession for 25 years. There were no snow days,unless you lived in the country; I never did. The night of the worst blizzard I have ever been through, in Ohio, I was scheduled to work the graveyard shift. Then I was taking several days off and planning to go out of town. Only I got stuck at work and had to stay there. Kind of a good thing, because they needed the staff who were already there to fill in for the ones who couldn't get there. Of course, in a sense I was lucky because at least there was generator heat & light, whereas at home I would have been without power. I have lived through cold days without power in ice storms here in Missouri, and that is a different kind of misery and danger.
But I was young and ignorant and miserable about other things already; the blizzard just capped it.

Thinking of my old nursing days, at first glance I had trouble feeling sorry for anyone who was out in a storm in evening dress. Sorry, Mr.King! So much of how we remember these events has more to do with the way the rest of life was at the time.

I second douglasbarber and am wondering, if you were all dressed up, do you have a
Respectfully, I would submit that most of your readers have probably never seen you with a full head of hair or know that you married a gorgeous woman.

Posted by: martymar123 | February 11, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse