Colby King's horrifying winter experience

You have to know the grand island bridge to truly appreciate the horror of Colby King's experience. I had to drive it every weekend when I worked in Niagara Falls, and the terror of those winds in winter simply can't be described. I experience PTSD just reading Colby's account.

By Jo-Ann Armao  | February 10, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Armao  | Tags:  Jo-Ann Armao
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Armao need not apologize about the snow
Next: I just don't see 'How Palin Could Win'

Comments

C'mon Jo-Ann! True Buffalonians aren't afraid of any snow!

And you also know the Southtowns get MUCH more snow than Grand Island or the Falls!

Posted by: pgr88 | February 10, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I drove over the Grand Island Bridge twice today -- at both ends -- to and from work, so I understand where you're coming from, literally and figuratively. However, I also spent 4 years in Minneapolis, where the snow gets deeper and the temps get seriously lower, and 4 years in Chicago, which seemed to get as much snow, much colder winters and, cruelly, hotter summers. As a Washington native I don't like any of it, but I'm not really sure why people pick on Buffalo's winters, when it's worse in so many other cities.

Posted by: Bookbinder | February 10, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

let's be realistic. there are any number of reasons why the md, dc, va area doesn't handle snow well.

1. people driving who've never driven in snow
2. the area gets bad weather every 4-5 years or so, therefore limited driving experience
3. limited equipment (plows, salt sand)
4. crowded streets
5. no driveways
6. no snow rules (no street parking from nov to may)

and i'm sure others can come up with more.

unfortunatetly more northern states have the equip, experience etc and we're stuck going to work, when i'd rather be making snow angels!

all of that to say.....3.5 feet is still a heck of a lot of snow!!

Posted by: nall92 | February 10, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

If they really want to learn how to plow snow, why not send a crew up to Onondaga County in the winter for a week? The locals here would get cheap experience and the locals there would get free help. By the way, send the guys that are on the street doing the work - ie., plow drivers, supervisors, etc. Not the big wigs who can't drive a rig.

Posted by: KidFromSyracuse | February 10, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Bookbinder's right: Buffalo's not even the snowiest large city in NYS--Syracuse is. And as far as the snowiest location in NYS? That's in the Tug Hill Plateau.

Wikipedia: "The Tug Hill hamlet of Montague owns the single day New York State record of snowfall with 77 inches (6 feet, 5 inches) (almost 2 meters). Another Tug Hill village, Hooker (in Lewis County) holds the state record for annual snowfall. Hooker also received an extraordinary accumulation of snow in the winter of 1976-77, with a total accumulation of 466.9 inches – approximately 39 feet (almost 12 meters)."

Posted by: dgloo | February 10, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha - good memories! My Mom grew up in Redfield NY - on the Tug Hill Plateau. Twice in her childhood had to exit the house via a second story windows on snowshoes.

Posted by: cicch07 | February 11, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Re:Ms. Armao's comment about snowfall in Buffalo.
How many times have I said after a snowfall they were bragging about that was outside upstate New York - Hey, you should've seen what it was like where I grew up - "We had snow up to here!!!".
I grew up in the NY State snowbelt - Utica, Turin, Old Forge, and we did have snow up to the roofs. We use to laugh about the snow fall in Syracuse and Buffalo, they got nowhere near the snowfall we got in the snowbelt area yet they got all the publicity. Nobody has heard of Utica, Turin and Old Forge, so when NY State got snow then Buffalo got all the news coverage.
My Mom taught high school English out in the country in the NY State snowbelt and I don't think they closed the schools more than once in 25 years in Upstate NY. They were ready and prepared for any amount of snow.
Thank you to Ms. Armao for her recognition of snowfall in upstate NY, even though Buffalo was in the minor league compared with Utica, Turin and Old Forge.

Posted by: rafalt | February 11, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse