ManCrunch Super Bowl ad doesn't deserve defense

People! If you're upset about CBS running an anti-abortion issue ad during the Super Bowl after years of rejecting ads from gay and lesbian advocacy groups, the last thing you should do is defend the idiocy from "ManCrunch." Take a look.

The gay male dating site might be just the thing for guys looking for that special someone. But taking a stand against the rejection of its ad should not be elevated to lunch counter status. AtlanticWire tipped me off to the charges of "blatant discrimination" and "disgust" on the left.

This reaction would be more warranted if CBS had rejected an ad from, say, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, which is fighting to overturn the nonsensical ban on gay men and lesbians serving openly in the military. The Senate Armed Services Committee will be holding hearings today to explore doing so. A powerful issue ad during this Sunday's big game that touted the patriotism, heroism and love of country of some of the nearly 14,000 who have been kicked out because of who they are could change the debate on this issue.

By Jonathan Capehart  | February 2, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: President Obama should lose the training wheels
Next: Drowning in red ink with no life-preserver in sight

Comments

I'm glad that this adolescent ad was rejected, and I'm a gay man and long time activist. It embarrassing that the leaders in my own community don't have at the ready our own gauzy "family" ad, a military-service-oriented SLDN ad, or even the ad rejected some years ago from the United Church of Christ.

Much as I despise them, I'll give credit to the Focus on the Family. They know how to get their message across.

Posted by: tomhenning | February 2, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

>>>Defending an ad from a company that says it's "Putting the man back in romance" does nothing to advance gay rights.<<<

that's not exactly true, since we know that the network would run an ad exactly like that for say, eharmony.com, if the protagonists had been a man and a woman.

but point taken. I personally think this was a brilliant publicity stunt on the part of mancrunch.com.... they didn't have to pony up the $2million and yet every story about this, including this one, has a copy of the ad video linked.

Posted by: mikhastur | February 2, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

So the Tim Tebow & Focus on the Family history of gay hatred needs to be overlooked and only ad quality should be judged? OK I'm game. I understand that Tim Tebow claims his mother gave birth against a filipino Dr.'s orders? Abortion has been illegal in the Phillippines for over 50years. Dr.'s never suggest abortion for fear of prosecution. Where's your quality control now Mr. Capehart?

Posted by: madest | February 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

True, it's idiotic. But most of the Super Bowl ads are tasteless. CBS is discriminating against a business marketed toward gay men, plain and simple. The quality of the ad is no more or less than other ads they would accept.

Posted by: jake14 | February 2, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

why does something need to be an advocacy piece for it to be discrimination? The reason CBS vetoed this ad was because it had two dudes kissing, which evidently violates their broadcast standards. Is it a silly ad? Sure, but so is everything else on Superbowl Sunday.

I guess it makes sense that Capehart thinks that only an ad advocating for policy change is worthy of our attention, but this should cause concern. Gay men date. Gay men kiss. There's no good reason why CBS should turn down this ad, except that they don't want to show two guys kissing. And they should be held accountable for making that call.

Posted by: jedlev | February 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I find it absolutely appalling that the fotf CULT would pull this sort of trash, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Why doesn't the fotf CULT truly support ALL families, glbt AND straight? See the excellent documentary, "For the Bible Tells Me So" about what dobdork did to a family with a gay son who just wanted to give high and mighty fake "dr" dobdork a letter asking him to stop his anti-gay hatred. "dr" didn't even have the courtesy to set his big floppy hairy toe outside of his moat to meet them. He had them ILLEGALLY ARRESTED instead.

Posted by: Alex511 | February 2, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Mr. Capehart has never watched the ads in the Superbowl. This ad clearly follows the same pattern of idiotic action (burping frogs anyone?) and a surprise ending.

No, the only reason to reject the ad is clear prejudice. And while Mr. Capehart is right that there could be more strident gay ads, the idea is that gays should be mainstreamed, and this ad simply does that.

Don't defend bigotry Mr. Capehart - remember, "diminishing the rights of one, diminishes the rights of all"

Posted by: mapss | February 3, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I commend CBS for not playing the ad. Bravo!! Mancrunch? REALLY??? I believe they have a station devoted to the gay and lesbian community. Show it on that station, I'm sure it would be much more appreciated.

Posted by: swelsly | February 5, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm a mother with small kids. I have no problem with this ad.

Yeah, kids. There are gay people.

I still remember my own mother's comment on the subject when I was a child: 'If they're in love and want to be together, what business is it of anyone else?'

Posted by: darling_ailie | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I think beer adds should no longer be on TV. It seems we want to protect our children. We must be jokeing this is 2010 not 1960 we no longer have "real" standards on TV any more. As far as Focus on the Family goes, they should be concerned about the beer adds. Anyways, I belive in love, all of this hate is just to bad. As a gay man who has had a long term partner for eighteen years, my vote is for love. Mancrunch got a lot of free press. And they seem to be selling love and not beer.

Posted by: alan53 | February 7, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse