Tiger Woods takes the blame

Tiger Woods said all the right things about his transgressions, about the feelings of entitlement that allowed him to stray, about wanting to make amends. But it has to be pointed out that whatever impact therapy is having on his sexual issues, it hasn’t made him any less of a control freak.

Yes, Tiger’s words sounded heartfelt. But the setting – a room full of family and friends – was so artificial that it was hard to know how to react. Were we eavesdropping on his confession to those closest to him? Or was he talking to us?

This sort of thing has never really been Tiger’s strong point. Early in his career, he perfected the art of the non-interview interview – talking without actually saying anything. He was always sparing with information, even when it pertained directly to his performance on the course. Remember that he didn’t tell anyone he was playing the 2008 U.S. Open with a torn ligament and a broken leg until he had already won the tournament.

About his private life, he was as silent as the Sphinx. That’s his right. I don’t have a problem with an athlete who says, in effect, “I play my game, I go home, and leave me the hell alone.” But Tiger did make tens of millions of dollars in endorsement income because of his image, which was based mostly on his supernatural talent, skill and power of will – and also, in part, on the portrait he showed the world of a perfect little nuclear family.

Perhaps the most surprising passage of Tiger’s 14-minute mea culpa was the description of his Buddhist faith. Perhaps the least surprising thing was that he did not break down in tears. A lot of people, I think, would have liked to witness showy, weepy contrition. But that’s not who he is, and I respect him for remaining true to himself.

It was a full apology, to say the least, with a terrific ending: “I ask you to find room in your hearts to one day believe in me again.” I think most people will, but not until he gets back out on the golf course – and never in quite the same way as before.

He placed all the blame on himself, telling the media specifically to leave his wife, children and mother alone. If you want to look, he was saying, look only at me.

But then he disappeared.

By Eugene Robinson  | February 19, 2010; 11:47 AM ET
Categories:  Robinson  | Tags:  Eugene Robinson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A conversation with HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
Next: The Tiger Woods apology: I'm convinced

Comments

Here is the deal. No surrender on this creep. Curse him. Why?

He totally betrayed his wife and children for the sake of predatory sexual gratification. Not any sincere affair of the heart, merely parasitic and narcissistic lust with the many who perhaps hoped to enter the limelight of vast wealth and celebrity in his carnival of lust.

But you know what? I don't care a rotten fig about that. It's none of my business. For his wife it may be, but none of mine. Its entirely likely that most of the vastly wealthy professional jocks on the road do the just the same.

Here is what is different about the Tiger Woods situation; he professionally marketed himself to a worldwide audience as much more that a very talented athelete but as a decent man, a family man who loved his wife and children, seeing into the future in his visionary gaze. He defrauded me too, as I believed the lie. He has made literally hundreds of millions on endorsements based entirely on a fraud. Just how is this fundamentally different from Bernie Maddof? He did much the same until his fraud was exposed. There is no excuse for him, and there is no excuse for Tiger in exactly the same way. Professionally marketed frauds, for the sake of a literal ocean of financial reward. And that is fundamentally what is wrong with our whole economy and nation today.

So, no surrender on this one. It was and is not about human fraility of the heart, but economic vampirism.

Posted by: tarquinis1 | February 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

My mind goes back to the '95 Open at Pinehurst when on the 15 tee, some 15 feet from Tiger, with young fans standing beside me, his drive was astray and he spewed out profanity laced sentence using all the words. Witness again in Wachovia in Charlotte 3 yrs ago. But I am still open for him to CHANGE HIS ENTIRE LIFE.

Posted by: gsms69 | February 19, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

But Mr. Robinson, Tiger forgot to say that he's given up sex for Lent.

Posted by: johnson0572 | February 19, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The public has a short memory--some even want the republicans back in the majority,all Tiger has to do is go out win a tournament and most people will forget if not forgive

Posted by: LDTRPT25 | February 19, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I was looking for Wilbon in the front row but I didn't see him. Oh well, I'll settle for a lame column from him in the next day or so about how it's ok for athletes to cheat because of the number of options they are exposed to on a daily basis.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | February 19, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The Media is so spiteful, because they couldn't jam Tiger today!

I didn't see Eugene complain, because John Edwards(presidential candidate)
didn't face the media! Not Yet!!

It is your buddies - the media - chasing down a 2 1/2 year old little girls that should be bashed here!!

Tiger did a great job to day! Now let's play golf!!

Posted by: jjcrocket2 | February 19, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"But Tiger did make tens of millions of dollars in endorsement income because of his image, which was based mostly on his supernatural talent, skill and power of will – and also, in part, on the portrait he showed the world of a perfect little nuclear family."

I beg to differ. Tiger's fortune was made ENTIRELY off his supernatural talent, and not dime was made off his "perfect little nuclear family." But just because a pro athlete happens to be exceptional and his talent is widely revered, it doesn't by any means make them perfect. I feel that the man had nothing to apoligize for, at least not publicly. It never ceases to amaze me how people make such a big deal out of this whole thing when, in truth, Tiger hasn't done anything outside of the norm for superstar pro atheletes. True, infidelity is immoral, but I think this is still a personal matter that should be resolved internally between Tiger and his family.

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | February 19, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

One thing more than anything else bothered me. Why didn't he offer an apology to those women. They were used. Their fault probably. They were no worse than Woods. Seems they protected him a long time. Seems they would merit an apology.

Posted by: bnw173 | February 19, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care! That is between Tiger and his wife.

Posted by: c-love | February 19, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Put on a necktie you bum.

Posted by: screwjob2 | February 19, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

El Tigre has to be programed to learn how to keep his Fah-doc in his Jock.
Failing this, he should be fitted with a Chasity-Jock with a combination lock.
The combination being known only to his therapist.

Posted by: tom54 | February 19, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tiger is still my hero even if he is going to give up all that extra caricular activity. Kind a brings a tear to my eye, him not living the dream of most normal men. You know the ones who are not dumbed down and feminised by the media, advertising and womens libers.

Posted by: beowulf39565 | February 19, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I don’t condone what Tiger (the “cheetah”) has done; however, I do think the public should leave him alone. Tiger got to where he is on his based on his own skills. The public didn’t vote him into office, and shouldn’t have any say in what he does privately.

Posted by: BasicInstinct | February 19, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Unless he plays golf, who cares what he says. He is about a month or two short of having this little forum with his rules. One thing to wonder, was Tiger like this before marriage or did it start after getting married? I was led to believe he's been clean cut but now makes you wonder....

Posted by: larry40 | February 19, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with those posters who feel that this is Woods' business and that he did not owe me, or any other member of the public, an apology.

As to tarquinis1's point that Woods used his image to make millions in endorsements, that is true, but so what? Only an idiot would choose to do business with Woods' sponsors, rather than their competitors, simply because those sponsors hired a professional golfer to shill for them. And no one owes an apology to people for being stupid.

Posted by: lydgate | February 19, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Not my problem.

Posted by: wp11234 | February 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

First, does this "apology" warrant national attention in a time when we face myriad difficult issues as a Nation? Second, everything Tiger does is calculated, therapy or no therapy. Doesn't anyone think that a part of this is to "rehab" his image so that he can continue to rake in ungodly amounts of income? I am sure he is genuinely embarrassed, as most people are when they have to reveal behavior that our prudish society finds titillating, but at the same time, this is career rehab as well. What is even more disturbing is that this event qualified as important enough for the networks to interrupt programming, WAPO to devote at least two opinion columns to the matter, and goodness knows how many other media outlets to devote tremendous time and resources to this coverage.

Posted by: fwillyhess | February 19, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I was disgusted with Tiger's infedility but he's obviously paid a price in terms of embarrassment and the fracturing of his family, and so now all these weeks later, I think it's time to remind ourselves he's a pro golfer and let him get back to his career. What's to gain by endless gibbergabbering about this? Who the heck cares? I wouldn't trust him near my teenage daughter but I'd sure like to see him get back in the game.

Posted by: Plutonium57 | February 19, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

tarquins, You have lost your mind. Name when and where he promoted himself or his wholesome family values to sell you something. And what is it that you bought because of this endorsement. And if you feel that aggrieved, then don't use that product anymore. You just sound petty and jealous of his wealth.

Posted by: gripper | February 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Frank Sinatra would be proud, Tiger is doing it "His Way". And to those who don't like it...

Posted by: WhitneyDavid | February 19, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

What sickening hypocrisy by the male commenters! Come on guys, let's admit that 90% of us men could care less who Tiger sleeps with. As a matter of fact, we are jealous. You notice very few golfers are commenting to the press on his behavior because they don't want to answer the next question, which is "have you ever cheated on your wife?" Everybody makes mistakes, and then gets on with life. Come on Tiger, quit being a wimp and get back out there!

Posted by: Toasted1 | February 19, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Woods doesn't owe the public an apology or an explanation.
He is a private citizen and has no obligatons to anyone other than himself and his family.
I was hoping he'd say that this was none of anyone's business and leave.
People are too invested in celebrities' private lives.
The perfect man or woman has't been born.
Get used to human weakness, because its going to be around a long time.

Posted by: jfv123 | February 19, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

First to dispense with the Tiger Woods "news" with more words than the "item" merits: I don't know why Woods was apologizing to me (or anyone but his wife), why the media was covering it, nor do I care in the least bit whether it was sincere.

Now for the important stuff. Why is our news media COMPLETELY BLACKING OUT COVERAGE OF THE TONY BLAIR INQUIRY IN THE UK? Another country - and our major "ally" in the premeditated, unprovoked invasion of a country that had no means to ever attack us - is ACTUALLY HOLDING ITS LEADERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE ACT. And they were just the "tagalongs" of the idea. Meanwhile, our media sticks its useless, complicit head in the sand here. Why?

The answer is twofold. The first is that they were so complicit in this crime, from declining to comment on the preposterous campaign of association our president engaged in until he convinced 70% of America that Saddam Hussein had attacked us on 9/11, to relgating every doubting word about the "WMD scare" to page 16, to editorialists outright mocking the experts like Scott Ritter who were trying to tell us it was all lies. So the media is ashamed to remind us what a horrible, falling-face-down job they did on this topic.

The other reason is that if they covered the story of another nation actually holding its leaders accountable for crimes like this, WE MIGHT GET THE IDEA TO DO IT TOO. That would discourage future pointless wars for corporate profits like the one that is now making Hunt Oil, Halliburton/KBR, and other friends of the last administration rich. But more importantly, WAR IS GREAT FOR VIEWERSHIP. There is nothing better for business - whether you are a defense contractor or a news outlet - than armed, bloody conflict. No way is the media going to kill that golden goose with a little bit of honest coverage.

I spit on our news media today. I don't care about Tiger Woods. I want a decent, moral, honest news media. YOU AREN'T IT.

Posted by: B2O2 | February 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

What a circus over at fox foney news. Like the national media they led with news of the tiger press conference rather than the airplane suicide terrorist. Like rest of the national media they covered it "live." Now the President is on tv talking about the economy and its not deserving of "live" coverage. This country has gone downhill with the help of the media including fox and its parent company fox corp sponsor of The Family Guy, Sarah Palin's bosses. I even bet she'll take the money and complain later.

Posted by: MILLER123 | February 19, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Eldrick.

Posted by: shanks1 | February 19, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The only mistake Tiger made was getting married.

Posted by: Unamused | February 19, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

you people are so gullible, you will lap up any thing laid out for you.
this golfer owes only his family an apology. he is sorry he got caught and lost so much $.
if he is the role model for your children you as the parent has neglected your responsibilities. the parent should be the role model for their children, not sports figures,entertainers, or heaven forbid politicians.
this cablinasian deserves the skanky women he chose, birds of a feather.
let's put our attention to something that will help americans with jobs and affordable health care.

Posted by: ninnafaye | February 19, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, tarquinis1, your post suggests if he loved one of his mistresses, it would be ok. Give me a break! What he did is his personal business. And he has enough to worry about with Elin, why must we all pile on. And don't give me this BS about 'he profited from endorsements predicated on his good character.' I'd like to see ONE of you Tiger haters turn away a mult-million dollar endorsement from Nike. What if the local police wanted pay you $1M to appear in ads for their "safe driver" campaign. Would you decline the cash because "I've rolled thru a stop sign before!" To quote a wise man: don't hate the player, hate the game.

Now go win the Masters Tiger!

Posted by: jwm1974 | February 19, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Let's all gathering around and watch a man apologize for... being a man. What a country. What a culture.

Posted by: repubsux | February 19, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

many are judgmental of Tiger Woods, but whether he receives endorsements or not, he is not really accountable to me or you - but to himself. that he is a celebrity means he will always are forever be tainted by the immorality of his behavior because he cares what others think. i would recommend to him that he wear his shame like a 'scarlet letter', very visibly and even with the pride of one who has fallen down and managed to get back up, having learned a hard lesson. Maybe he will use the scarlet letter to grow deeper into the world in a way he has obviously avoided up until now.

Posted by: tds15 | February 19, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

His wife is way too much of a lady for him as he likes the skankey ones.

Posted by: Obamasnotyamama | February 19, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Forget the motive, for The Tiger's "Press STATEMENT." A picture, as we all know, is worth a thousand words. The picture, whether intentional or not, says that dispite Sir Charles' contention that he's a close friend of Woods, Woods' circle of friends, based upon the press performance this morning, is as exclusive as the type of women he prefers. Haven't he heard about affirmative action in hiring? Does he embrace it? Or, is it that his African Americans, and other minority employees and friends were manning the fort or away, due to some other emergency, and thus, could not be with him at what may be his most defining moment ever, on television?

His thick-lips betray his denial of his African-ness and that, Gene, is not only unfortunate, it is pathetic that with his success and his desire "to continue to be a role model" that he doesn't reachout more to the one segment of society who obviously needs positive role models the most, young African American males. We know how Sir Charles feel in that regards. Many of us had hoped and prayed that while he was in therapy for his "illness" he would re-assess his past utter display of disdain for people of color, especially our beautiful, sexy and very intelligent women.

If my eyes deceived me and there were, in fact, several, even one Hispanic or Black present at his announcement, then I apologize, from the bottom of my heart and immediately withdraw this comment. If I can find the resources, I'll even voluntarily enter rehab to work on my condition, inability to ignore glaring examples of total dissing of, or discrimination against, my people.

Posted by: turnerwred1234 | February 19, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Tiger's apology is not meant for racist who are upset over his marriage to a white woman. Its not meant for woman who hate men. Its not meant for people who are jealous and envious. Its not meant for people who hate the color of his skin. Tiger's apology is meant for people who knows what its like to make to make mistakes and be forgiven. Its meant for people whom he let down and people who don't condone his behavior but has always been there to support him and his family. Tiger's apology is meant for family and friends. Forget the rest, they were haters from the very beginning, and will be haters in the end. It doesn't matter what they say or how they say it. They'll just haters who aren't owed anything and who definitely can't afford to throw stones.

Posted by: MILLER123 | February 19, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

He controlled HIS press conference which doesn't really bother me. Was he sincere -who knows but it sure sounded and looked sincere to me. But since it seems most people don't really know him and he has no intention of letting them in we have to take him at his word. His infidelity - his and his family's problem. All I care about is his golf.

Posted by: rlj1 | February 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

He's done as the golfer we knew. His talent made him great, but his single-minded focus on winning is what put him at the very top. Now, his attention will be divided at best, and he will accept losing more easily because hey, there are more important things in life. As soon as I heard the remark about Buddhism and his need to prove to Elin he's sorry through his actions (i.e., a lifetime of atonement), I knew it was all over. He'll never break Nicklaus's record now.

Posted by: allknowingguy | February 19, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It would probably be very helpful to the fellow if he actively took measures to diversify his handlers. The ones currently "handling" him and his image are woefully inadequate in evry conceivable way and based upon his performance this money, they're ripe for civil action against them for gross-negilgence!!! Given what was/is at stake, the damage to their "client" is measurable in multiple millions of dollars. If Tiger was conscious, which he obviously is not, he would be on the phone right now consulting with the Honorable Willie Gary, Esq., in Florida.

Posted by: turnerwred1234 | February 19, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bnw173
------------------------------
Excuse me....seems the use was equal on both sides. They merit no more than the 15 minutes of shame they brought on themselves.

Posted by: easysoul | February 19, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I could care less who Tiger sleeps with. None of my business. This entire affair drips with hypocrisy. I never bought into this perfect family-man routine, and shame on those of you who did.
Tiger needn't apologize to me. Just get back out there and hit those stellar golf shots!

Posted by: henson1 | February 19, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

It would've been more impressive if he'd simply said: It's been a tough couple of months and I'm sorry for letting down my fans. But I guarantee that when I come back I'm gonna be a better golfer and I have my sights set on the goal--the Grand Slam!
See you at Augusta, everybody.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | February 19, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

To those who say Tiger doesn't owe the rest of us an apology: I agree.

However, Tiger is more than just a "golfer." He is an iconic figure who grew up in the public arena. The public has become an organic and symbiotic extension of himself. He projected an image, a persona, that we (for the most part) admired and reflected back to him. How the public regards him is part of how he views himself. To be sure, much of his persona comes from an admirable core set of inner values. He is essentially a good person as his foundation and charity work shows. And part of his persona was one of honesty and personal integrity.

The human sense of invincibility and capacity of denial is essential, otherwise we would walk around fearful about all the ways the world can turn against us. But Tiger reached a point when his sense of denial and invincibility got the better of him. He developed the delusion that his persona would remain integrated to the person, no matter how far the two diverged. Now, the persona has been severed from the person and Tiger is lost.

Rebuilding the persona is important to him because it is an essential part of who he is. So let him apologize, not because he owes it to us, but because it is essential to his own expiation and reintegration.

Posted by: drboba | February 19, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Gene, I'm disappointed in you. I didn't think you'd be one of those journalists baying for Q&A.

No, Tiger didn't take questions, but he said enough in his unprecedented 14 minutes behind the microphone. He gave a lot of himself away, and then he made it clear that what he'd said was all he's going to say. He played fair.

I appreciated that he didn't try to shift blame, rationalize his behavior, or muddy his apologies with all that "if I've offended someone" garbage that politicans use to distance themselves from their own scandals.

I also liked that he didn't ask for immediate forgiveness; clearly, he understands that he has to earn it and that doing so will take time and effort.

Sure there was some plotting and planning ahead of time about what, how, when, and where. But the actual speech -- long and painfully open for a tightly buttoned guy -- struck me as heartfelt.

Of course it was a tightly controlled media event. All of Tiger's events are. Spending a month-and-a-half in rehab and therapy isn't going to make him a chatty or touchy-feely guy.

It may not have been the performance you wanted, but it was the performance he gave. And it was leaps and bounds more forthcoming and sincere than any of the "apology performances" given by the likes of John Edwards and his ilk.

Please rethink this one, Gene. You're almost never wrong. :>)

Posted by: haveaheart | February 19, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The real question is for you Eugene, have u forgiven Tiger for succumbing to what you described as the cultural preference for white women? Or have u ever gotten over that white chick who refused your overtures at the GoodGuys?

Posted by: michaelhunt277 | February 19, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Tiger finally came forward and admitted his weaknesses. He has obviously begun living a 12 step program based on his comments about making amends (NEVER repeating his bad behavior again) and proclaiming his spiritual beliefs. He has a lot of work ahead of him and a lifelong commitment to stay on track. I wish the best for him and hope he can do it. Addictions aren't really curable, with most relapsing once they start feeling good about themselves again. Good Luck Tiger!

Posted by: gdmover2 | February 19, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I am not a sports fan, but I did see his apology.(couldn't escape it) Married people are responsible to each other...very few people understand or know anything about another person's marriage...many do not even understand their own marriage. It was correct for him to choose his own setting...The vultures would have turned a thoughtful, quiet explanation into a Circus...enough already!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | February 19, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Micahaelhunt, Gene ain't the only one who hasn't gotten over the "white chick who refused (his) overtures..." yet. I haven't either. But, it had nothing to do with the fact that she was a white chick; Man, the woman who refused me was simply downright fine!!! You hear me? Her race had nothing to do with it. But, by the same token, I was refused a couple times by Black chicks who were equally as fine.

For me, I just find it so very difficult to understand any man, especially a rich one of color, who doesn't seem to even notice that there are so very, very many women who are not blonde and blue-eyed but are as beautiful, intelligent and sexy as any female can be. That, peoples, is what puzzles the hell out of me. I hope that Bubba or Billy Bob, down there in rehab with Tiger, will, at least get him to apprecriate the fact that sometimes, The Blacker The Berry, The Sweeter The Juice. Judging by the broad complexion of African Americans throughout Mississippi, Alabama and Texas, Ole Bubba and Billy Bob would certainly be in a position to know and advise Tiger about such a delicate matter as this.

Posted by: turnerwred1234 | February 19, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

The Press wants to ask Tiger questions about his infidelity. But, I can't help but wonder what questions? We know who, so what's left...Where? How? Why?

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | February 19, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

All kidding aside about this very serious matter.

Tiger Woods, if interested in continuing his marriage, and his wife is sincerely interested in doing like-wise, needs only to forgive himself for being human and making such a serious and public mistake. After all, there is one Tiger and only one Tiger and most likely, there will not be another within our lifetime.

If his wife can accept he's human and accept his promise to go forward and honor his marriage vows, then GodSpeed to the two of them and their family. If his wife cannot accept it, then Tiger should move-on.

Under no circumstance should he ever apologize again for the blessings God bestowed upon him and for being human enough to make the one mistake that all natural men are prone to make, if the same blessing were bestowed upon us, instead of him.

Hold your head high, do not look back, resume your chosen profession, with or without your spouse, if she foolishly elects to leave you or refuses to forgive you, is the counsel that Tiger needs to hear from his friends or anyone who he doesn't even know, but who knows and empathizes with him and his pain.

Posted by: turnerwred1234 | February 19, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Did Tiger jumpstart the stock market?

See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | February 19, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

fwillyhess, spot on. Our media is a disgusting rotting carcass for covering this insipid crap over the important things going on in this world.

The Supreme Court has just sold off our democracy to the highest bidder, and the media gave it a one-day yawn. Now they are back to the really important stuff, like who slept with whom and whether their apology was entertain-- er, sincere enough to boost ratings sufficiently.

People wonder why our country is going to hell, but I don't. Just look at our media. Tiger Woods may have slept with a few prostitutes but he could never get around to doing it with every member of our news media. They will spread their legs for every corporate interest around however. Be it the ones who ushered us into Iraq (at the expense of our money and our family and neighbors' blood), or the Supreme Court returning us to the Robber Baron Age of the 1880s.

Every news journalist who writes about Tiger Woods today has a venereal disease of the soul which is far more damaging to our country than anything some self-esteem-troubled pro golfer could do in his private hours.

Posted by: B2O2 | February 19, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Check out my blog to see Brit Hume's opinion on Tiger's Buddhism:

Posted by: DonRitchie | February 19, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

At dinner last night, my neighbor's mom brought Tiger up and I responded that Charles Manson has a character flaw too and I don't care about him or his return to his previous status either.

"No one was killed though" she said.

So we thought, until the last female he shagged started talking.

Posted by: ascpgh1 | February 19, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Im tryin' real hard to give a s*** about what Woods says, does or what happens to him, and I keep coming up with NOTHING.

Posted by: ewsnyder | February 19, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Like Gene Robinson, I was very glad to see that Woods vigorously defended his upbringing from childhood as a Buddhist. That Hume guy on Fox (honestly, I don't know his first name) needs to apologize for shoving his own religious beliefs and his own issues at a total stranger, apparently out of the belief that Buddhism is some sort of "fad" religion as opposed to a major world tradition. I am glad Woods took time within the larger apology to be clear about the importance and value of Buddhism to him, and the role it's playing in his recovery.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | February 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

If he hadnt been caught, would he still be porkin?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | February 19, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope this doesn't mean that people will go back to watching golf. Could there be a more boring sport to watch? I'll take curling any day.

Posted by: writinron | February 19, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Robinson, I'm not buying it. What was the purpose of this apology? If he wanted to apologize to all the friends and family who were there, he could and should have apologized to each of them privately.

So it was a public show - in a tightly controlled setup - no questions, no skeptical media and so on.

And repeated contrition. Well rehearsed, well choreographed, well recited.

A few points for effort, no points for authenticity.

Posted by: kim4 | February 19, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone agrees that Wood's behavior was very poor. That being said,I think we would be a lot less disappointed in our professional athletes if we stopped trying to make them role models. Hey, here's an idea parents; why don't you try being a role model for your kids? That way the only person you have to worry about letting them down is you.

Posted by: jrnolan1 | February 19, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods knows full well what he did that was wrong and needs nobody to tell him from the media. He chose the setting to make his apology speech for a reason. He was coming out to admit his errors and own up to bad behavior, explain why he did what he did and promise to do better after his rehab is completed. A small crowd, no questions, all designed to make the required speech just what it had to be. There was no need for a gang of slobbering media hounds to bark questions at the man over the issues he is dealing with. He made it clear, what happened, where, why, with whom and what is being done about it is between his wife and him. Everyone else is out of the discussion. This is as it should be. The game of golf does not need to know who went where with who, when and for how long. That is history, sad though it is, and it is dead. To bring out the details would only send the media slobbering over the women with whom he had relations, and they need their privacy as well. Golf is a sport, not a soap opera. Leave it that way. IF you want a soap opera, go watch All My Children. There is plenty of skin there for the slobberers.

Posted by: ronjeske | February 19, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

They are ALWAYS sorry AFTER they get caught. Just once I'd like to see someone sorry BEFORE they got caught.

He did it because he could. He has all the impulse control of a two year old in a candy store.

Just another superstar with a sense of entitlement. Give him a year and he'll be back at it.

He didn't make a mistake, he made a decision. Now he can live with it.

Posted by: xconservative | February 19, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Please leave my boyfriend alone.

Tiger is just a young man sowing his wild, royal oats. If it wasn't for the fact that Tiger is so rich, Elin wouldn't have jumped on him at all.

Maybe he should have had his fun before he got married, but as many a Republican will tell you, it's never too late.

Have fun Tiger man!

Posted by: lindalovejones | February 19, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Instead of sex addict, couldn't he have claimed to be poontang focussed? C'mon now, most young men would have yielded to such temptation. And what gives anyone the idea that Tiger is strong enough now to avoid the bimbo parade that marches to his doorstep when he is on the road?

Not that it is my problem.

Posted by: edbyronadams | February 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Tiger's apology was about as sincere as a chronic liar's or a perpetual philanderer's. Wait a second...oh...I mean, "exactly as sincere...."

Posted by: jim32 | February 19, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, YEAH, he disappeared! You expected to stand up there and tell you the detail about how these women surviced him? I don't think so.
Tiger did the only thing he could have done to apologize today.
Thank God, he refused questions from a press who would have ONLY been interested in the sexual details of how he "made" these women....and on and on and on and on.
He owes nothing to the press and everything to the general public who believed him to be other than he really was.
Today he delivered to the general public. That's all he needed to do.

Posted by: cms1 | February 19, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MILLER123 | February 19, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

How many pages has WP wasted on this subject ?
Tiger Wood who ??