How Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Tex.) can still stick it to Gov. Perry

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (Tex.) got shellacked in her quest to deny Gov. Rick Perry the Republican nomination to seek a third full term in Austin. I mean, it wasn't even close -- 51 percent to 30 percent. But she can stick it to her political nemesis by breaking her promise to leave the Senate this year. Because her term isn't up until 2012, Hutchison's departure would give Perry the power to name her successor. If she didn't think the man should continue being governor then she certainly shouldn't let him send an ideological twin to Washington.

Hutchison's Republican colleagues are pleading with her to stay. And I want her to stay because there are way too many people sitting in the Senate due to the good graces of a self-interested governor than to the voters. They include are Sens. Roland Burris (D-Ill.), Ted Kaufman (D-Del.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) and George LeMieux (R-Fla.). That's 20.56 percent of the country represented by people it didn't elect. Throw in Texas and it goes up to 26.6 percent. This editorial from last year explains why gubernatorial appointment should be changed.

In the meantime, here's hoping Hutchison stays put. Politicians break their promises all the time so why should she be any different?

By Jonathan Capehart  | March 3, 2010; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Democrats' nuclear option in reconciliation
Next: The faces of marriage equality in Washington

Comments

Hear, hear!

Posted by: Shardax | March 3, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

20.56%? uh... How did you figure that out?

My calculation is 5/100 = 5%

Posted by: trumeau | March 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

trumeau, he's going by population, not by % of the senate.

I agree with you, I'm not a republican, but I do live in Texas and god only knows who Perry would appoint. His record on appointments here has been abysmal. Kay certainly doesn't owe him any favors and she'd be doing us a favor by staying put.

I'm not really a fan of hers, but the idea of another "Big John" Cornyn is horrifying. Completely horrifying.

Posted by: lcrider1 | March 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Icrider, I guessed that Capehart was writing about population. However, as far as I know, the Senate is not a representation of the US population. It is a representation of each State (2 per State) and thus Capehart is wrong in coming up with the overinflated figure that has the purpose of scarring the hell out of us.

Posted by: trumeau | March 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Why is it necessary for KayBay to "stick it" to Gov. Perry, Mr. Capeheart?

You are a tool, my good man. A complete tool.

Whether KBH stays or goes, I am confident that she will do what she feels is in the best interest of Texans and America, not because she wants to get revenge for losing the primary.

That is something weak and small people like you do, Capeheart.

By the way, the person Perry would be most likely to appoint would be Michael Williams. Let's see, a former Assistant Secretary of Education for Civil Rights, a law enforcement official with the US Treasury, served in the US Justice department, the first African American in Texas to hold statewide elected office, led the very successful and admirable Texas state efforts for Katrina relief for all the people who were displaced, and someone who also has strong private sector experience in the telecommunications industry.

Yes, he is a conservative, but why don't you go ahead and tell us all the reasons Michael Williams would not be fit to be a US Senator, Mr. Capeheart. I'd really like to hear your inanity on that subject.

Keep being wrong (and wrongheaded), my friend. It never stops being entertaining.

Posted by: etpietro | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Well Mr. Capehart, assuming that you are not a legal resident of Texas, we (legal Texas resident) want her gone. She long ago forgot how to be a self-sufficient, independent southwestern and Texan and became a Washington DC fraud. But then I guess you don't think the people of Texas have the right to pick our Senator. While I am at it I would suggest that they change the federal election funding law so that money raised outside the state cannot be used to elect a state official because you see even a senator is a STATE senator not a Washington DC senator.

Posted by: staterighter | March 3, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: staterighter | March 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Unlike ABC News, which is closing all its regional bureaus and keeping its central bureau open, if the Washington Post had any sense, it would close its central bureau and open up a whole bunch of regional ones, sending clueless people like E.J. Dionne, Homer Capehart, Ruth Marcus and Dana Milbank to Venezuela to staff the bureaus there.

Posted by: chatard | March 3, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

staterighter,

As a fellow Texas, I applaud her for her work as a senator and while I don't agree with her positions all of the time, she represents us until 1012, as voted in by her constituants. She has not forgotten about the public, but follows her best ideals. We can debate those ideals but she is elected. I think she is a bit conservative for me and am glad to see Dallas turning more moderatate, but don't buy into the sudden hatred for all things Washington. The people of Texas do have a right to pick our Senators and we did in 2006 for a 6 year term. Don't be so anxious to shange the state funding laws, you may be surprised where Perry's money comes from.

Posted by: cadam72 | March 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

When Kay Bailey, along with then Senator Obama, backed Bush's $700 billion bailout of Wall Street, her stock took a nosedive in Texas. Sterling Greenwood/Aspen

Posted by: AspenFreePress | March 3, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The Perry/Party of NO! Platform:

Always vote No if a Democrat is president.
Always vote Yes if a Republican is president.
Only allowed to watch Fox news.
Only allowed to listen to self described entertainer and drug addict Rush Limbaugh.
"We are Fair and Balanced."

Tax cuts to Debt, putting every American on welfare.
War is good, but charge it to our kids to pay.
Give your Social Security to the Wall Street Bonus boys.
More tax cuts for the rich, our leaders.
Lower wages for workers, no unions.

Allowable Death Panels:
40 million Americans without healthcare.
Guns for all.
Death penalty.
Wars of choice.

Don't believe in science, education, or pollution. If you can't see it, if I can't put my hands in the holes, it doesn't exist.

You betcha!
Palin/Perry 2012

Posted by: chucky-el | March 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

How long will it take the GOP to rid itself of yet another moderate like Kay Bailey Hutchison? The GOP has no room for moderate voices under its teensy weensy tent. Only a few very old, very right wing elephants will apparently fit.

Posted by: cturtle1 | March 3, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hutchison will leave, Perry will appoint another wingnut, and the Republican party will drift further out into the extremist fringe. Which is where they belong. Look at how much harm Bunning just did to the party. If they fail to claw back a congressional majority in November the Republicans are doomed for a generation while they spend all their time stabbing each other in the back. Which is just fine by me.

Posted by: gposner | March 3, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

This author is promoting the obstruction of our electoral process. Way to go Washington Post.

Posted by: JBfromFL | March 3, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

(This is not just a political comment, this is also a criminal comment)

Kay Bailey Hutchison my want to be concerned about extending the “Statute of Limitations” if she stays in the US Senate.

How is what Don Hill (former Mayor Pro Tem Dallas) has done different then what Kay Bailey and Ray Hutchison have done and Don Hill was very, very guilty.

It has been said better by another:
"Kay Bailey's ethics leave much to be desired. As KBH [screen name] points out, there are serious unanswered questions about her advocacy on behalf of the DFW Airport Board while her husband simultaneously served as the Board's legal advisor. The Wright Amendment (of which she became the primary defendant) effectively rammed the only legally protected airport monopoly down the throats of North Texans against our will-- American Airlines made out like a bandit as a result. Hutchison lacks a moral compass-- she will do anything and everything to maximize her political power and her husband Ray's earnings potential (the perception is that when you hire Ray, you effectively purchase access to Kay)."

It could also be said- Don Hill is to Kay Bailey Hutchison as Don Hill's wife Sheila is to Ray Hutchison.

Don Hill and his wife Shelia were sentenced in Federal Court 2/26/2010 on Felony charges where they were given 18 years and 9 years in Federal Prison.

I believe it to be against the law for sure to be sleeping with the one you are using your public office to afford personal benefits for, your sleeping partner, that you will enjoy as well. This could also be called graft.

And everyone remains quiet…

Posted by: KBHandRay | March 3, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I have a bit of a vindictive streak. KBH is far to classy to do this, but I would be tempted to place a "hold" on federal dollars to Texas, until the governor explains to her why it's not "pork." The Texas buget shortfall, now about $20 billion, would baloon. The 2010 budget was balanced with federal stimulus dollars. Gov. of Texas has no influence over anything is DC, but a U.S. Senator does. It was - and is - a bogus issue. Then there's those Perry backers who will be coming to DC for a piece of the pork pie. If I were her, I'd stick around long enough to hear them beg.

Posted by: Agman1 | March 4, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse