Eliot Spitzer's comeback

Speaking of redemption, like Tiger Woods, former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer (D) is everywhere! The New York Times Style section front page story on him today is all about his "long, winding and slightly bewildering road to redemption." A road that included sitting in as a guest anchor on "The Dylan Ratigan Show" (MSNBC) today. He interviewed me on the Southern Republican Leadership Conference that kicks off tonight. Some think the road will also include another run for office, speculation Spitzer helped fuel in an interview this week with Fortune magazine. To which, I say, if that's what he wants to do, let him do it.

But Spitzer is already trying to dial back the campaign talk. On April 7, he told Fortune, "I've never said I would never consider running for office again." Yet today, when asked by the Times if he would return to politics to impact the issues he cares about, he pushed back. “Why does it have to be politics?” He went on to say, "Is there a dynamism to that world and a theoretical capacity to do things that draws many talented people? Absolutely. Are there other ways to be involved and lead an interesting life? Of course.”

I don't quite care what Spitzer does in the public arena. I'm just glad his voice is out there. He and I have been friends 10 years. And there are few people out there who can talk about the economic mess the nation is in with as much authority as Spitzer. As I wrote in the Tiger piece, America loves a comeback. That's especially so when, as Spitzer told the Times, "you face up to your errors, deal with them and go forward."

By Jonathan Capehart  | April 8, 2010; 4:54 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Does the U.S. need to worry about Kyrgyzstan's new leader?
Next: After Justice John Paul Stevens retires

Comments

I, too, hope for a Spitzer comeback. Although I was greatly disappointed about her personal life, he was doing a great service for the public by going after Wall Street. I will always believe it was Bush and his administration who destroyed him because he was getting too close to the truth. The financial meltdown is enough proof for me why Bush went after him.

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | April 8, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

David Vitter is still in power. Eliot Socks-On should will get re-elected because he can still do good for the people. And not just himself.

Posted by: kravitzkravitz | April 8, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

When Spitzer comes on, I turn it off.

As for Woods, I'm looking forward to him missing the cut so I can watch Tom Watson at the Masters without having to turn that off periodically, too.

Posted by: Itzajob | April 8, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I saw a little bit of ya'll Jonathan.

I thought Eliot was doing really well. He was polite to his GUESTS, civil, did not intentionally interrupt and knew enough to ask great questions.

I hope he gets his own show and Chris Matthews and Joe Scarborough learn how to act right.

Posted by: edismae | April 8, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

America needs Eliot Spitzer back in politics. Nice column Jonathan Capehart ~ richard allbritton, Miami, http://rallbritton.com

Posted by: rigel1 | April 9, 2010 4:17 AM | Report abuse

I would be happy to vote for Eliot Spitzer for any office he might choose. He is smart, intelligent (a difference, yes?), and we would be the better off with him in a public office than without. And I agree with edismae's comment about Scarborough and Matthews!

Posted by: LTM6463 | April 9, 2010 5:16 AM | Report abuse

Eliot Spitzer went after people who were doing the same thing he was. He was a very aggressive prosecutor and governor.

You don't need that level of hypocrisy in government. He has no credibility left. And yeah, I do know there are many others in government who lead double lives. Tiger Woods doesn't concern me. Eliot Spitzer does. I used to think he was terrific, but you have to have some standards.

Posted by: cococo | April 9, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

If America can stomach the Clintons, it can stomach anyone.

Posted by: sailhardy | April 9, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"And there are few people out there who can talk about the economic mess the nation is in with as much authority as Spitzer."

Yeah, he was so smart he invested with Bernie Madoff. He also chased after minor technical violations at mutual funds while Citi and WaMu were pumping out shaky subprime mortgages by the tens of billions, and selling them to investors everywhere.

Thanks a lot, Mr. Spitzer, I was really concerned about front-running at mutual runs, where they were stealing fifty cents from each account.

Posted by: vinyl1 | April 9, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Jon Capehart. We need Eliot Spitzer in the conversation about happened in the financial collapse and about what needs to be done.

Mr. Spitzer could have stayed out of it so as not to face the slings and arrows over his past transgressions. I am glad that he decided to step forward.

Posted by: pointpetre | April 9, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Since when did paying a Hooker disqualify a man from politics? Eliot Spitzer is more honest and smarter than 99.9% of elected officials. Eliot please hurry back...the crazies are lose.

Posted by: fare777 | April 9, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Eliot Spitzer is "smart" and "intelligent"? How then did he get caught with a hooker? Was he honest with the people of New York when he prosecuted pimps and hookers while enjoying their product at the same time? Was he smart to pay thousands of dollars for sex when he has a beautiful spouse? I'm not opposed to giving anyone a second chance but please let's dispense with the smart and intelligent attributes!

Posted by: rich28 | April 9, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Eliot Spitzer used the power of goverment to prosecute people while doing the same things himself. He may be smart but unfortunatly he is also corrupt.

Posted by: saw1 | April 10, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse