Just play golf, Tiger

That's it. I'm done. I'm tired of Tiger Woods' seemingly endless emotional striptease as he tries to prove that he really is contrite, chastened and humbled by the mess his libido caused. First came the apology before a live studio audience of wronged coworkers and loved ones, including his mother. Then came the live press conference on the eve of the Masters golf championship. Now comes a creepy commercial from Nike featuring a pitiful looking Tiger Woods staring at the camera as the voice of his late father intones. (Although it's not as creepy as Natalie Cole's duet with her long-dead father, Nat King Cole, of "Unforgettable.")

"I want to find out what your thinking was," the father says. "I want to find out what your feelings are and did you learn anything." I don't care what Tiger's thinking was anymore. I'm weary of hearing what his feelings are. As for learning anything, we're all finding out -- in nauseating detail.

Just play golf, Tiger. Redemption is a championship away. America loves a comeback.

By Jonathan Capehart  | April 8, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McDonnell backpedals on Confederate History Month
Next: Michael Steele: serial failure

Comments

WHO CARES??????????????

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | April 8, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

You said it! It doesn't seem like the advertisers or golf reporters learned annnnything. The first time they spun a fictional character out of the guy, it turned out to be a fraud. Why is everybody tripping over themselves (CBS, are you listening?) about the "new" contrite Tiger?

We didn't know him last time; we don't know him now,either. If we get violins-over-all-Tiger-all-the-time Masters coverage this year I will give up my beloved TV golf.

Posted by: Hunter | April 8, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

If Tiger was married to a black woman, the media couldn't care less about his infidelities. However, because of who is wife is and who the women are that allegedly had these indiscretions with Tiger, the media is all over it. Just like O.J. Simpson, the media has a much bigger interest when the alleged perpetrator is a black man and the alleged victim is a white woman. Albeit, Tiger does not consider himself black, but the media does. LET THE MAN PLAY GOLF...Judge not lest ye be judged. I am sure many of the married golf players have had their chick(s) on the side. Tiger's wrong does not make theirs right.

Posted by: bander2400 | April 8, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Woods is a sleaze and a liar. His attitude on the course has most often been pissy (unless he's winning). What's changed? Nothing.

No amount of PR will make him any different.

Posted by: EdSantaFe | April 8, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised only at Nike . I guess when they get a pass for child labor , they think we have no standards at all .

Posted by: borntoraisehogs | April 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

There was nothing creepy about Natalie Cole and her deceased father in the duet of Unforgettable. You apparently did not forget it, did you?? It just shows us how amazing technology can be and I loved it from the first time I saw it! Tiger on the other hand, I agree, just needs to play ball. He has apologized to the public ENOUGH. He owes them nothing more but to play good golf and WIN!!!

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | April 8, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If the PGA is big enough to allow John Daly to compete, it must have room in its big ol's corporate heart for Tiger. Besides, we want him in the tabloids. High dollar sports stars = groupies. The women are STILL falling out of the tree for Tiger. Most recent one is his next door neighbor's adult daughter. Yay! Go Tiger.

Posted by: roboturkey | April 8, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If the PGA is big enough to allow John Daly to compete, it must have room in its big ol corporate heart for Tiger. Besides, we want him in the tabloids. High dollar sports stars = groupies. The women are STILL falling out of the tree for Tiger. Most recent one is his next door neighbor's adult daughter. Yay! Go Tiger.

Posted by: roboturkey | April 8, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

So Tiger's cheating dad, from the grave, helps the cheating son make more $$$ off of his cheating scandal.

Tiger and company cannot get more pathetic than this.

Posted by: kim4 | April 8, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

What next a Tiger sex tape? Nike is digging deep to try to sell this new image and Tiger as before is williing ot play to have that $$$$ ok I saw enough, Adidas makes a nice shoe ....

Money is not the root of evel but the love of money is.

Posted by: dukeameye3 | April 8, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

To Kim4 comment. In her case it depends on who's cheating. I wonder why?

Posted by: phyllisr5 | April 8, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Redemption yeah today Robert Rubin and other of the "best and Brightest" said their sorry as did Alan Greenspan yesterday hell we gotta forgive them to since they did say thaey were sorry right? I can forgive Tiger but I wouldnt buy water from him in the desert so stop trying to sell me anything with his image.

Posted by: dukeameye3 | April 8, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

This nonsense about Tiger. If this brother was messing around with some sisters, this would be no big deal. Like the Roman Catholic and a Senator or two would say "boys being boys". Tiger paid some white women for their company. He spent more than he needed to for what he got. I agree that he should have been faithful to Erin and concentrate on his dominance of those white golfers who, until he came along, thought that the sport belonged to them. They knew where their women and girls stood and still stand (and lay). You stay faithful to Erin. Your golfing reputation is intact.

This golf fellow in Augusta whose reprimand of Mr Woods this morning was highly offensive and just as misplaced. I want to hear these types talk about their anti female club rules. Let them speak of their role in racism and the killing fields that were associated with the businesses of slavery and racism over the last three centuries or more. Let's hear them at Augusta speak of their "outstanding" male members who were (are) also members of racist groups like KKK, White Citizens Council, Southern Baptist, GOP and a host of other "socially acceptable" racist organizations that openly discourage membership and officership of Black people.

That some of your white women chose to have some fun/work with a man was upsetting only because he, a married man, chose to play. None of them seems upset as they confirm that it was worth their while. You guys better get accustomed to it because Tiger's only the tip of the iceberg. Your women do know something you can only suspect! The male chickens have been coming home to roost.

Posted by: Draesop | April 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

It's surprising that Tiger Woods hasn't won a Masters in 5 years. I wondered, how many other golfers have gone that long between wins. I found the answer surprising.

Posted by: flojoflojo | April 10, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse