Sarah Palin is liked -- as long as she stays away from the White House

You can't survey Americans in general and the Tea Party movement in particular without asking about Sarah Palin. The former governor of Alaska burst onto the scene in August 2008 and has never left. That's done wonders for her standing among the disaffected and for her bank account. And that's about it.

Palin has a 66 percent favorable rating among the Tea Party faithful. She is "most admired" by 9 percent of them. Only former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) is more admired (10 percent). But among the general public, Palin's standing is weak. While her "favorable" rating (30 percent) is a 4-point improvement over January and a 7-point improvement since July 2009, a favorable opinion of Palin is down 10 points from Sept. 2008. Remember that time? I certainly do. That poll was done on the eve of the biggest financial meltdown since the Great Depression. Palin was the new darling of the GOP and Democrats from coast to coast were freaking out.

Now, here's something delicious. No one -- not even Tea Partiers -- think the former Alaska governor "would have the ability to be an effective president." An astounding 47 percent of Tea Party followers answered the question "no." Only 40 percent said "yes." Palin was never thought to be presidential timber among the general public. In Oct. 2008, 53 percent didn't think she had the ability to be effective in the Oval Office. That number is now 63 percent. Those who answered the question "yes," dropped from 37 percent to 26 percent from Oct. 2008 to today. Not that this question matters. We all know Palin is not running for president, right?

By Jonathan Capehart  | April 15, 2010; 3:55 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Surprise! 'Climategate' wasn't the scam skeptics claimed
Next: George W. Bush will always have the Tea Party

Comments

For all the flak Palin gets, she's not stupid.

I don't think she even wants to be President. I think she knows she can make a lot more money for a lot less work by just cashing $100,000 speaking checks and going on Fox News.

Fine by me. She can say and do whatever as long as she stays off the ballots. Someone get the woman a talk-radio show.

Posted by: Gover | April 15, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Run Sarah, Run. Moose fear you; Salmon run away. And now Dems fear your guns and religion.

Posted by: rmorris391 | April 15, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

rmorris391

No, no one fears Sarah Palin. She's a bimbo.

That 40% that think she is Presidential Material is a whole lotta really dumb people that vote.

That's scary.

Posted by: dutchess2 | April 15, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I really see nothing in her-at all. What in the world makes her appealing at all? I just cannot find words. She has no appeal whatsoever to me. She just is so common. And I mean that in the way of she is not the kind of Lady that "says class or White House anything." I guess she does make millions off of people who listen to her rantings.

She just hits the tail end of an issue-never really getting to the issue. Taxes-everyone has to pay even millionaires like her-guess that is her hype on that one. Now she has to spend too and pay.

Everyone wishes there was another way other than taxes to run government but, I do not see or have seen anyone come up with alternatives. So, the money has to come from somewhere. The government may not want to invest on Wall Street-that would be a problem.

What can government do as an alternative? Invest in land, buildings, assets, oil? What? What can they do to make money? Liquidate assets? Yard Sale? What? They can tell us how to spend but, can anyone tell us how to make and save in government? That is the real problem. No one has come up with a plan of action on that. Not even Ms. Prissy Palin. Everyone knows we are in debt so, no brainer on that one-which explains Palin.
So, let's see who comes up with a plan of action to make money-trillions of it.

How about calling in debts from other countries; selling some surplus-nothing like yard sale; how about chipping in Congress and Senate contributions;( Oprah, Trump; Tiger) any ideas?

Posted by: Scar1 | April 15, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"Someone get the woman a talk-radio show.
Posted by: Gover"
---
They tried, no takers because she can't complete a coherent sentence and has a voice like a band-saw. Also, her fans would not be able to see her which to them is her biggest selling point.

Can you imagine her talking for three hours a day?

Posted by: JRM2 | April 15, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

As a canadian, I laugh at how anyone, especially americans, can take Sarah Palin seriously. She is a caricature of a politician. She cannot possibly believe the things that come out of her mouth.

Her view on nuclear weapons is a throwback to the 50's, when more was better. Her analogy of the US not standing up in a schoolyard fight was ridiculous. Did she forget the US spends more on the military than the rest of the world combined? And that's without any new nukes!

She doesn't believe in public healthcare, but doesn't mind committing fraud (and hypocrisy) getting free healthcare from another country (she claims her mother took her to Whitehorse and lied about her status at clinics).

However, she has incredible vision, because she can see Russia from her house, at least 1200km away and over several mountain ranges.

Sarah Palin is as much a maverick as your typical CPA. She absolutely oozes conformity.

Please don't let her into office, or out of your country.

Posted by: gregmoulds | April 15, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Sara Palin.

She:
looks like a High school Cheer Leader.
Walks like a High School Cheer Leader.
Talks like a High School Cheer Leader.
Behaves like a High School Cheer Leader.
Has the intellectual level of a High School Cheer Leader.

She is,
smart enough to lead the uninformed.
Dumb enough to follow the informed ones.

Posted by: Lev10 | April 15, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Speeches that are nothing but soundbites and sarcasm do not a political platform make.....

Posted by: wijid | April 15, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Ya see? If Sarah had steered clear of the White House from the git go she would have been liked by one and all. But she just had to interrupt her run for the money by dabbling in politics.

Posted by: hoser3 | April 15, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

to all,

i'm sitting here laughing AT all of you.

do you ACTUALLY think that SP is running for any office?
(if so you are a BIGGER DUNCE than i think that most "progressives" are.)

i'm NOT an admirer of SP but she MUCH smarter than BHO, who is a LYING, amoral, incompetent & a JOKE to thinking people.

fwiw, you DIMocRATS picked the WRONG OBAMA. = Michelle has the BRAINS in the family. BHO just has the MOUTH & it's a BIG MOUTH,attached to an EMPTY head.
(i saw him twice when he was running for the DIMocRAT nomination & actually saw him stutter, stammar, look confused & then try UNSUCCESSFULLY to string two coherent sentences together, when there was a power failure..= i said to myself, his campaign ENDS today, as that guy isn't SMART or even a good speaker, absent his teleprompter.===> sadly i was wrong & we are "stuck" with a LIAR & a FOOL in the WH for 2+ more years.)

just my opinion.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 15, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm amazed we're still talking about this woman.

Posted by: RobertaHigginbotham | April 16, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Actually TN46 we will have one of the greatest Presidents ever for the next 6+ years and you will feel differently by then (unless Perry pulls out of the Union).

Posted by: hoser3 | April 16, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, the bimbo gave one of her pricey little speeches in Hamilton, Ontario yesterday and said that 'both her grandfathers were born in Canada' - she actually lied right to the audience. Her background is easily checked. Grandfather Orville Heath was born in Nebraska and grandfather Clement Sheeran was born in Washington state.

This chippy lies much too easily - is she a psychopath?

Here's the story:

Posted by: 10emlet | April 16, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

i don't think sarah palin really goes hunting.

i think her whole image is a bunch of b.s.

people keep giving her money, though. same with dick armey and newt. people keep giving these hucksters their money, so, they don't need to get real jobs like everyone else.

Posted by: spatoola | April 16, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree with at least one other commenter above. I don't believe the former half-term governor of Alaska has the slightest interest in running for any office at all... be it full or half term. She's raking in the dough milking her celebrity, at least temporarily, and is likely to milk it as long as feasible without doing any real work.

Posted by: CardFan | April 16, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Sarah stopped thinking about the Presidency when she found out it only pays $400k a year. That's as deep as her patriotism goes.

Posted by: booktoneaolcom | April 16, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope you will forgive my English as I do not want be in UK in the arenas and the climate that is in UK now. I also respect the copyrights of the papers and reporters as they are doing a wonderful job.
In a portion of the Lehman examiner's report unsealed Wednesday, Anton Valukas, appointed to investigate the circumstances surrounding Lehman
Brother's collapse and liquidation, says that the failed investment bank may have cause to sue Goldman Sachs and Barclays for what might be
a "fraudulent transaction." The transaction transferred $2 billion in assets away from C.M.E.Group, which operates the Chicago and New York mercantile exchanges. The assets were collateral and clearing deposits held by C.M.E. and
linked to Lehman's futures and options contracts -- proprietary trades that Goldman, Barclays, and another firm, DRW Trading, would take on along with the collateral transfer in question. The transfer resulted in "a loss to Lehman exceeding $1.2 billion," according to the newly disclosed section of the report that James M. Peck, bankruptcy judge for the southern district of New York, ordered
to be unsealed Wednesday. Your star today. Leo or Leo ass 1st January to 29th February When it concerns business, be careful about sharing your thoughts with others. You don't know what sort of connections people have, and the last thing you want is to reveal your next move to the wrong person. Being tight-lipped will not only provide the necessary security and confidentiality, but leave others wondering what you are all about. Keep them guessing. If you want more, please send Green Stamps to me c/o The editor. I am planting bamboo trees for the monkeys to climb.
I thank you Firozali A.Mulla DBA

Posted by: flymulla | April 16, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Capehart is a typical affirmative action Democrat uncle tom who doesn't know enough about real life to comment on whether or not Obama is qualified to be President of a professional butt wiping association. Palin was more qualified to be President from the get go and Obama's wretched performance in office proves that. Obama is protected by the Goebbels lies of the Democrat MEDIA which is all that he's accomplished.

Posted by: bruno77 | April 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm amazed we're still talking about this woman. Posted by: Roberta Higginbotham | April 16, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse No it is not abuse. I like her. She has a perfect nose that fit the spectacles . I mean I have problems with mu Bi Focal and veri fiscal or call this progressive. When playing tennis they see two balls. However, if I had only. If I has the nose like hers and because she is in Fox news and because Obama hates her she is making a comeback in 2012. Note this or I change my name from the above to below. Saddam reborn to see the farced wars. Nevertheless, I still do/don’t understand why we had to break up the statue. We are destroying History and the youths who want to know why a man overtakes the guard make millions by throwing one shoe at the president of the super powers. BRIC Brazil, India Russia, and India are meeting. I wonder if Obama will attend this meeting. Please keep me posted. I thank you. You are very kind. Firozali A.Mulla DBA

Posted by: flymulla | April 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"Someone get the woman a talk-radio show.
Posted by: Gover"
She is in the Fox news. Get a colour TV and trade in your BW TV for a bicycle I thank you Firozali A.Mulla DBA

Posted by: flymulla | April 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

hoser3,

it's PAST time for you to "wake up & smell the coffee":
1. BHO is a PUPPET, who can't find his "toucas" with both hands unassisted,
2. he is SCRIPTED & he simply READS well
(WHY else did the DIMocRAT party go to court to STOP anyone from the press from SEEING his transcripts from college/law school?)
and
3.BHO will lose by the biggest landslide in American history in 2012.

i'm amused by people who are IGNORANT/NAIVE enough to believe the MYTH.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 16, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Palin is a dummy and the most polarizing person I've ever seen.Its great that you can fire up your base, but everyone else is turned off by this goldigger.And that high pitches screech of hers makes me want to bury my head in the sand.Please Sarah run, so that we can satirize you endlessly.You are a moron.

Posted by: paprikaofm | April 16, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Re: dutchess2, "That's scary". This is the best you have in light of the fact that a current study indicates that in terms of wealth, education level etc; teabaggers out perform the general public?
A mind truly is a terrible thing to use--in some cases.

Re: Scar1: "I really see nothing in her at all". Neurologically speaking, you probably lack the ability to. Seriously. Here's how it works: a mitigating factor in visual perception is a phenomenon called relevance: given several competing stimuli, Brodman area 12 (or 10) will only permit you to perceive that which is at the moment more emotionally "relevant" to you. You
will run a red light, for instance, if you notice your wife pulling up along side of you in a car with another man. You can't "see" Palin because it's emotionally important to you that you don't.

RE: Roberthigginbotham: See Scar1.

RE: 1Oemlot and Spatoola: I remember Jimmy Swaggert calling out most men as whoermongers. Isn't it ironic that we accuse others of personality flaws that we refuse to acknowledge in ourselves?

Re: Milkfan: still waiting for her five minutes of fame to expire? You better call in someone to check out your sundial.

Paprikaofm: So Palin is a dummy and a goldigger? Again, when one points a finger at someone else, in this case, you--I'm guessing three are pointing back at you. By the way, what YOU are not doing is satirizing; it's a stream-of-consciousness rant.

Posted by: zsauna | April 16, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Palin falls into the 'lesser of two evils' category just as McCain did. The difference is then many saw Obama as the lesser and now they know better.

I am one of those who wouldn't make Palin my choice given a credible alternative. That said, while the Republicans can put up more than one, I don't think the Democrats can put up a credible alternative at the moment.

Do I want Palin in the White House? Not unless the choice is against Obama or someone like him, then yes I do. Had Palin been elected where would we be.

She would have vetoed most of the big spending legislation, she wouldn't have gone on a world apology tour and she wouldn't bow to foreign leaders, especially dictators and despots, she would be looking at ways to encourage the private sector to create jobs instead of grow government and enslave the people for generations to come, she wouldn't have taken a year to come to the same conclusion as Obama on Afghanistan, she would be encouraging increased domestic energy production without having to be hit over the head with reality. And she would listen to and take advice from her Joint Chiefs and not the hair on fire liberals in the Congress. Obama while blaming Bush for everything has maintained many of his policies without acknowledging them. Many of the others are too extreme to make sense of. He has mad a couple of decisions that make sense but they are the exception. And no one could polarize the country more than Obama so Palin would be in same O same O company there.

And lots more. So, do I want Palin for my CIC. NO! But do I want Obama for my CIC? HELL NO!

It's that lesser of two evils thing again.

So.... the bottom line in the short run is I don't intend to vote for Palin for anything, anytime but in the meantime she drives the hair on fire left wing nit wits stupid and off the cliff. And that alone is worth the price of admission.

In the long run... Well, it's that credible candidate thing again. Hopefully the right will put up somebody besides Palin and I don't think she'll run so I'm not worried. But if she were to get the nomination and the Democrat alternative is Obama, there is little choice. Restrained spending and respect for the Constitution versus a Socialist agenda, contempt for the Constitution and probable bankruptcy and financial Armageddon? Yep, I'll take Palin. Although she'll have to spend her whole time in office trying to undue the damage done by the Big Spender in Chief in the White House

Posted by: 19481 | April 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Any citizen of the United States that doesnt know Sarah Palin is not even Congressman or Senator material must be on drugs or alcohol. She cannot even speak a full sentence that makes sense-not long ago it was "hopey, changey" regarding something Pres Obama said-what exactly does that mean-she is an embarrasement to the Republican Party(which I embrace because Im a Democrat!) and was an embarrasment to McCain as her VP. No wonder the Tea Party has voted her down-they should keep paying to hear her speak because that will for sure help us Dem's.

Posted by: marlaurtankersley | April 17, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Folks, without Sarah Palin, Tina Fey might have to go on the welfare rolls. Please don't stop running Sarah. Somehow, all that comes to mind when I think of her is
"Run, Forest, Run". She, too, is like a box of chocolates -- the ones with the nuts in the center.

She is the comic relief in news that so "doom and gloom". Who doens't smile when she speaks? She butchers the English language worse than Bush#2. I nominate Sarah Palin and Homer Simpson for ther 2012 Republican ticket!

Posted by: weedtort | April 17, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

She is the comic relief in news that so "doom and gloom". Who doens't smile when she speaks? She butchers the English language worse than Bush#2. I nominate Sarah Palin and Homer Simpson for the 2012 Republican ticket! Who wants another boring Presidential race devoid of any fun?

Posted by: weedtort | April 17, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

10emlet @ April 16, 2010, at 2:51 AM--You may be right! Palin displays vindictiveness, no emotional growth, continual lies, sensitivity to criticism, continual use of sarcasm, and requires a carefully controlled environment where only prescreened questions are permitted.
But if Palin is mentally ill, why is it being kept a secret? And an ugly big secret it is, if true.

Posted by: naughtymonkey | April 18, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Sara Palin just is a big mouth. She has a horrible squeaky voice. She sounds terrible. She is using the Tea Party people and the Republican Party just like their using her. Sara Palin has no clue about anything. She through her own state under the bus to make MONEY. I wouldn't trust anybody like her because if the dollar is right, she would say anything to get it. Through Sara Palin under the bus and the lying Republican Party with her.

Posted by: amosdefnails | April 18, 2010 4:28 AM | Report abuse

naughtymonkey,

actually you did a FINE job of describing the "current occupant of 1600 PA Ave", as BHO is ALL those things.
you could also, accurately, add to your list: INTOLERENT of differing opinions, VINDICTIVE & INCOMPETENT.

the sooner that BHO is GONE from DC, the better off everyone will be.
(Jan 20, 2013 cannot come soon enough to suit me.)

inasmuch as i was THERE & heard him NOT be able to INTELLIGENTLY answer a young girl's question, "Senator Obama, What is your favorite movie?", i think that he's a DUNCE.
BHO, stuttered, stumbled, giggled,dissembled & made DUMB "off point comments" but evidently could NOT answer that SIMPLE question.
(inasmuch as he could have said "I don't have a favorite", "I don't go to the movies" or almost anything else, i presume that he is TOO DUMB to have an OPINION of his own.)

BHO seems to be no more than a PUPPET, who is SCRIPTED/controlled by others, but reads his teleprompter well.
(i have friend who says that the DIMocRATS picked the WRONG Obama. = he says Michelle has THE BRAINS in the family & BHO only has the BIG MOUTH.)

just my opinion.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 18, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm Sarah Palin and I am going to give my opinion on President Obama even if nobody asks me for it. All I can say about our socialist in chief is YOU BETCHA! Wait a minute. I don't think that is all I wanted to say. I had it written in the palm of my hand. Oh yeah here it is; YOU BETCHA, OBAMA IS A SPNLES COMUIST INTLETUL. Oops! Sorry I got a little nervous and some of the ink must have smeared in my sweaty palm. Can you believe the Tea Partiers pay me $100,000 to say this stuff at their rallies? I told them I would donate the money to the "conservative cause". That would be me. YOU BETCHA!

Posted by: CMAN27 | April 21, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

You know? I'm really getting tired of everyone bashing Sarah Palin. Why leave Obama out, there's just so much more to bash, he has gotten in over his head and is very naive when it comes to thinking he can change DC's way of doing business. He wasn't in DC long before he was elected president and like I said, IN OVER HIS HEAD!!! Lay off of Sarah Palin, she's like everyone else that sees what's going on, she brings it to light.

Posted by: shelbyrigg | April 22, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse