William Gheen has gay old time at Lindsey Graham's expense

William Gheen of Americans for Legal Immigration has a beef with Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). It's understandable. The Republican senator is actively working with the White House to come up with a rational and comprehensive immigration bill. And Gheen doesn't like it. So much so that at a rally on Saturday he made this bold pronouncement: "Sen. Graham, you need to come forward and tell people about your alternative lifestyle and your homosexuality. Come out of that closet, Lindsey. Come out of that log cabin closet...Look, I'm a tolerant person. I don't care about your private life, Lindsey. But as our U.S. senator I need to figure out why you're trying to sell out your own countrymen, and I need to make sure your being gay isn't it."

As the kids today would say, this is ridic!

Graham has said he is not gay. And I don't expect him to issue a press release restating the case in response to Gheen. So I'll take him at his word. But Gheen believes that Graham's current stance on immigration (which he says "would legalize millions of illegal immigrants and turn them into competitive workers and voters") is being driven by a desire to protect his "secret." Nevermind that the South Carolina senator's leadership on this issue is long-established and well-known.

I'll spare you the lecture on my problem with "alternative lifestyle" and his being a "tolerant person." Gays and lesbians don't need to be tolerated.They need acceptance. Oops. I let that one slip. Anyway, after his harangue of Graham, Gheen said with a self-congratulatory snicker, "I'm going to take some heat on that one come Monday, you can count on that one."

It's Wednesday. Sorry I'm late.

By Jonathan Capehart  | April 21, 2010; 6:33 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Everybody hates Charlie Crist
Next: The Pentagon plays mind games with Muslims

Comments

Let the GOP purge begin!

Posted by: aartmann112004 | April 21, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

WILLIAM GHEEN IS TRULY A BRAVE, AND BOLD AMERICAN CITIZEN! HE BELIEVES IN THE CONSTITUTION AND THE RULE OF LAW. IT'S TIME, MY FELLOW AMERICANS, TO STAND UP FOR THE CONSTITUTION AND OUR RIGHTS AS AMERICAN CITIZENS! WE HAVE ACCEPTED WHAT WE'VE BEEN TOLD BY OUR LEADERS WITHOUT QUESTIONING WHETHER THEY ARE RIGHT OR WRONG.

THE LEFT LIKES TO SAY: "SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER". TOO BAD THAT THAT MEANS ONLY IF THE POWER IS OF THE OPPOSITE PARTY.

THE TIME FOR THE "DOUBLE STANDARD" AND THE HIPOCRACY IS OVER!!!!

"WE THE PEOPLE", THE TRUE OWNERS OF THIS GOVERNMENT ARE SPEAKING, AND ASSERTING OUR RIGHTS ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION! AND "WE THE PEOPLE" WILL NOT JUST SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN!" "WE THE PEOPLE" ARE SMARTER AND MORE INTELLIGENT THAN THE RULING POLITICAL CLASS GIVES US CREDIT FOR. AND "WE THE PEOPLE" WILL BE HEARD, BOTH PEACEFULY AND LOUD AND CLEAR ON ELECTION DAY!

AND LIKE THE POLITICIANS LIKE TO SAY: "AT THE END OF THE DAY, THEY WILL KNOW THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN"

"WE THE PEOPLE" ARE BOTH A KIND, GENEROUS, AND FORGIVING PEOPLE. BUT "WE THE PEOPLE' WILL NOT BE FOOLED OR DECEIVED!

ELECTION DAY IS COMMING! OUR VOICES WILL BE HEARD!

WE'LL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Posted by: barrysal | April 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Closeted homosexuals in elected office are vulnerable to blackmail.

Posted by: lukelea | April 21, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

to all,

i have a lot of family in SC & spend (since i retired) a lot of time there.

IF Lindsey Graham resigns or is defeated, he will be replaced with a FAR more Conservative senator (who will be MUCH less willing to compromise with DIMocRATS), so if i was a DIMocRAT/liberal/"progesssive" i would hope that Graham remains in the Senate.

it's no more complicated than: Senator Graham is much more liberal than the majority of South Carolinians, just as Harry Reid is far more LIBERAL than the majority of his constitutients.
(that is WHY that Harry Reid will be DEFEATED in a little over 6 months & replaced with a Conservative.)

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 21, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I do not know what rock Gheen crawled from under but his tactics are loathsome and deserve a good hard slam. SLAM!! So there.

Regarding his immigrant flack: The facts remain that all of us are immigrants, if not today or yesterday somewhere back in our gene pool one immigrant or two as a couple came to this great country from some other country and we find ourselves the beneficiaries of that long ago or more recent decision.
Two of my antecedents fought in Washington's army their parents and grandparents having come from England; two others of my antecedents came from Belgium in the early twentieth century. Without these people I would not be here, or anywhere for that matter! They were immigrants. I am just damn grateful to claim immigrant blood coursing through my veins.
So unless Gheen is a Native American he is of immigrant stock.
Whether Graham is gay or not has no bearing on his politics nor his immigration stance.
Personally I would prefer a "gay" Graham (if that is the case) to an elitist, racist Gheen!

Posted by: Iolanthe | April 21, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

barrysal writes:
WILLIAM GHEEN IS TRULY A BRAVE, AND BOLD AMERICAN CITIZEN!:
++++++
Not when he reorts to ad hominen attacks on Graham that he [Graham] peceives will hurt him just to advance his agenda. Gheen is nothing more than a bully.

Posted by: Sandydayl | April 21, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

lolanthe,

fwiw, we AmerIndians are also the desendants of IMMIGRANTS.
our NA ancestors came from Beringia (or SW~Asia) & according to recent DNA studies we may ALL be descended from just SIX women, who lived about 40,000 years ago.

we "woodland folk" have been here for somewhere between 25-40,000 years & the rest of us AIs are desendants of people who wandered into this land, across the "land bridge" from Asia, about 5-10,000 years ago.

just thought you'd want to know.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 21, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Capehart, what are you doing here? Are you trying to out Sen. Graham by proxy? I consume quite a good deal of news, and I hadn't read about this "story". Why give it a national platform like the WAPO opinion page? It seems to me you are either being extrmemly unthoughtful (I'm going to rip Gheen by giving him a broad platform for his homophobia) or a coward (I want to out Sen. Graham, but I'll quote some other dirtbag saying it so it's not obvious I'm the actual dirtbag).

Posted by: wapibangi | April 21, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the likes of Gheen killed off even Bush's attempt at immigration reform. The reason is that yes, starting with Reagan we have neglected our borders; but there are far roo many nuts out there who think that bluster is the answer. Bush was trying to initiate a rational policy, and got scared away by the likes of Gheen. Let's see if there are ANY rational Republicans left.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | April 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It is usually the fat slob screamers that have something to hide..Wonder what Gheen is hiding!?

Could be the limpbow disease or the beckie one ..But it is something! You betcha111

Posted by: jetlone | April 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

This is so embarrassing to the GOP. The reputation for sanity and responsibility that it took over a hundred years to gain has been shattered by people like Gheen, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. Bush did some damage but nothing like what is happening now. As a moderate, I am not exactly mourning but I do feel a twinge of pity along with my Schadenfreude.

Posted by: moninga1 | April 21, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"WE THE PEOPLE" ARE SMARTER AND MORE INTELLIGENT THAN THE RULING POLITICAL CLASS GIVES US CREDIT FOR. . . .

ELECTION DAY IS COMMING!

1. Putting things in all caps is the electronic equivalent of screaming. Screaming something doesn't make it true, it just makes it screaming. Putting something in all caps doesn't make it true either.

2. Although you claim to be "intelligent" you still can't spell a simple word like coming.

Posted by: lawprof3 | April 21, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I'll admit, I am a died-in-the-wool, bleeding-heart, tree-hugging liberal that believes, it should be woman’s choice; that believes, no American citizens should be denied health care; that believes, God loves us regardless of who we love.

BUT until you have been faced with life-changing events at the hands of illegal aliens, you are ignorant on the subject! I live in Houston Texas – the fertile ground of knowledge ripe with learning first-hand the agendas of our elected officials and the truth about this invasion. If you are one of those that it makes you feel good to be so forgiving and generous towards those that illegally enter this country or if you are an American with compromised allegiance issues, please know too many Americans have been negatively effected and are not willing to accommodate naïve do-gooders or traders to this country! Educate yourselves regarding the damage in lives and in costs…live in a neighborhood destroyed by illegal aliens, live the fear of their proudly displayed arrogance as they hoist the Mexican flags – view the billboards too numerous written in Spanish while the neighborhood schools’ test scores range between 15% and 30% of national averages in direct correlation to the percents of ESL classes and if you do not know Spanish, forget finding a job in Houston and surrounding areas. Yes, I am extremely angry at my government and at both political parties for leaving us to fend for ourselves against an enemy far worse than anybody in the Middle East and I have learned to be afraid of those that hate this country and our citizens and I have lost all patience with our citizens that rally for a cause without living the nightmare they support!

Posted by: majorman06 | April 21, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Sandydayl

I agree - this was an odious, mean spirited, nasty, dirty, way below the beltline attack on a person's right to privacy...

Who in their right mind wants anyone who enjoys being mean in public office?

The Teabaggers, not Palin, not the knee jerk followers of the right wingnuts on radio...

Since when does good leadership come from junkyard dog mean hate?

Posted by: dutchess2 | April 21, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

majorman06

Just explain to us why the Governors of all flag loving, US patriotic states does not pull the registrations to do business in their state of any company caught employing illegals?

They will take themselves home if they can't get work, and all we have to do is shut 5 - 10 of them down those businesses we are serious, and they will cease to be unable to tell an American from others.

We demonize the illegals who only want work, and not the rich companies that cheat them and us of our right to work in our own country.

Shame shame shame on us and on them!

Posted by: dutchess2 | April 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

majorman06

Shame shame shame on us and on them!

Posted by: dutchess2 | April 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

to all,

my fellow Texan from Houston (i live in the extreme upper right corner of TX.) & we have the SAME problems.)

well over 60% of our "schoolchildren" are ILLEGAL ALIENS, who we MUST by federal court order "educate".- this is REALLY expensive/difficult since there is NOBODY in our little rural county who even "halfway speaks" several of the languages that the "other than English native speakers" speak exclusively = how many speakers of CHILACAQUI do YOU know?
(fyi, that language is spoken, i'm told by the Director of EASL, is spoken by LESS than 15,000 people in the world.= we have 3 "high school students", who spoke no other language, when they "suddenly appeared" for school. - the EASL department is "doing their best", but it's "working poorly at best", according to the Director's report to the ISD board.)

also, our county hospital is over-crowded with ILLEGALS & may soon have to CLOSE (it's the only healthcare facility in our county - the next county over has another over-crowded/poorly funded hospital.)
the "bottom line" is, ILLEGALS MUST be treated by EVERY hospital & the illegals SELDOM pay for any service rendered.

it comes down to THIS: we HAVE to "seal the borders" & take care of OUR citizens & the LAWFUL aliens & send the rest of the people "home" - we simply cannot afford to do anything else. period. end of story.

btw, just this morning, i took my brothers truck to a local tire shop for 4 new tires. - there was exactly ONE person there (the bilingual owner), who was an American - the other employees were "Non English speaking" & obviously ILLEGALS, as they knew NO English. - not even "HELLO".= "the boss", i'm sure KNOWS that he's hiring ILLEGALS & that the employees & he are breaking numerous laws, but obviously does NOT care.

it simply MUST STOP. = we need to IMMEDIATELY pass federal laws making HIRING ILLEGALS a FELONY (with a MINIMUM of 1-5 years doing "hard time"- no excuses, no apologies accepted, no "plea bargains", just PRISON.) & BEING in the USA as an "undocumented worker" a "jailable offense & PERMANENTLY barred to return after deportation".

unless you want to PAY for their needs "out of your pocket" & "take them into your home", don't tell me that i'm WRONG.

btw, my much-beloved/adopted daughter is a "new citizen" of the USA (as of 7/5/2010 - she was born in Mexico & is a fullblood AmerIndian from Chiapas.) & you "don't want to know" what she says "under her breath" about "wetbacks".= like most "new citizens" & "legal aliens", who complied with the LAWFUL method of immigration, she DESPISES those who came her UNLAWFULLY!

just my opinions.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 21, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

William Gheen and anyone else who signs on to this attempt to try to "out" Graham because of policies is despicable. Anyone who wants him out should campaign against his policies - blackmail is never acceptable. I don't like Graham's position on immigration reform, but I will work my butt of to defend him against this trash. Gheen should be condemned!!

Posted by: anna_78750 | April 22, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

anna_78750; all,

Lindsey Graham should "out" himself, so that the DIMocRATS will STOP "threatening him", with releasing the video that they CLAIM to have (i have NO idea whether such a video actually exists or not - frankly, i don't care with WHOM or IF he has sex, as long as the person is a consenting adult.), of him "with" another man.

from what i've heard in SC, "outing himself" will be the same sort of "big surprise" as Ricky Martin "outing himself". - frankly, i doubt that most SC voters will care!

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 22, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

First, the article states that Senator "Graham has said he is not gay". I doubt that, since he is in the military reserves and under the "don't ask, don't tell" restrictions.

Secondly, I don't care if he is gay, however, I am concerned if he is in the closet and it is being used as leverage against him, in other words, "compromised". I compare this to Clinton's play days with Monica. I could care less what Clinton was doing but I'm concerned that he would lie about it under oath. I'm also concerned that a woman who would keep a dirty blue dress could get into the White House and alone with our president. What if that dress had become the possession of a foreign country through spies and espionage? That's how politicians become compromised.

Posted by: BackTalk | April 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

OK so I'm gay, and a democrat, and when I first read about this, my jaw hit the floor of the subway. Seriously. And the thing is, I couldn't quite put my finger on why at first. I mean, it's no shock to me that a closeted gay man runs the risk of blackmail - we all know this. Personally I have less of an issue with Lindsay Graham than most Republicans - I can remember several instances where he managed to contain himself enough to actually pass legislation that would help people, so I don't think the guy's all bad. And in that light, it really wouldn't shock me if he was gay - I mean, how else would a white man in the south manage to sound reasonable some of the time? Most of them are raving lunatics who want to go back to the middle ages - Senator Graham seems to be satisfied with ameliorative tax cuts. I can wrap my brain around that.

By calling for the Senator to out himself, you're not just pointing out the fact that closeted gay people can be blackmailed - you're *endorsing* it. Furthermore, you're implicating that Democrats (because it would be democrats doing this, right?) would be such awful people as to do something like that in the first place. Which is even worse because I actually believe that's probably true!

And by far the worst part, is that by suggesting that he's a closeted gay man who should come out, are you implying that being gay is immutable and not a choice? Because if we weren't coming out, and it were a choice, wouldn't that mean that he was "choosing" the path of heterosexuality? Would that be what you want? But no. That isn't really what the right wing wants at all. They know we're gay and have no say in the matter. And not only do they want to punish us for it, day in and day out, for the rest of our lives - they want to make sure it's public knowledge that each and every one of us who is gay, is gay, so that they can maximize the number of people their discrimination, and hatred, and frankly violent policies will impact, and ensure that we are all squarely under the heel of their jackboots. It makes me ill just thinking about it.

Posted by: jove4015 | April 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Gays and lesbians don't need to be tolerated.They need acceptance."

*********************

Translation, it is not enough that we politely ignore perversion, we must approve of it!

Another example of why liberalism is a fascist religion, not a political philosophy.

Posted by: pmendez | April 22, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

jove4015,

i believe that you have a NUMBER of GOOD points.

first, let me say that i'm NOT an expert on being "gay". - instead, i have ONE male cousin (that i know of) who is "gay" & is OUT. Robert has been "rather flamboyantly OUT" for well over 35 years. - what he has told me does NOT sound like that he had a "choice" in what/who he is.

fwiw, he's been with his "domestic partner" for far longer than i was married to any of my 3 wives (well over 25 years) AND was one of a very few people who would "visit at my late wife's bedside", when she had AML.

Robert came to see her, do her makeup,read to her, played gin with her & to simply sit/talk with her for HOURS each week.= Vicki said that they were like "best GFs".
(believe it or not, lots of intelligent/educated people think that acute leukemia is CONTAGIOUS & suddenly were "just too busy" to visit Vicki, when she was in the hospital during her last illness.===>
full disclosure, i'm both divorced & a widower.)

also, you are also correct about who is blackmailing him. it is the DIMocRATS, who have threatened to release the video (that they claim to have) to get him to vote against his conscience & against the desires of his constitutients.

BUT you are quite wrong about us "rightwingers". - MOST of the conservatives that i know (and as a coordinator of a rural county Tea Party group, i know MANY conservatives/rightwingers.) couldn't care less who you have sex with or (for that matter) do NOT have sex with, as long as they are "consenting adults".

like most people, i am made UNCOMFORTABLE with a couple of the same gender doing certain things in public, but i would be equally offended by those same acts, in public, if done by hetrosexuals.
(especially where there are children about, everybody should "behave themselves" in public, imVho.)

certainly, there are people who HATE homosexuals of both genders, but those people are NO more likely to be conservatives than they are to be DIMocRATS/"progressives".

SOME of the most hate-FILLED, nasty,INTOLERENT, MEAN-spirited, genuinely EVIL people that i know are DIMocRATS & think of themselves as LIBERAL.= sorry, jove, but that is also TRUE!

just my opinion.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 22, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

A video?

Oh Prunella! Why isn't it on YouTube already?

Posted by: cllrdr | April 22, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

cllrdr,

you haven't seen the video anywhere (and that's ONLY a UNproven CLAIM that the DIMocRATS actually HAVE such a video of him "with" another man), evidently because Lindsey Graham has done as he was told by the BLACKMAILERS.

as i said, i don't think that the senator "outing himself" would make any difference whatever in his popularity/NON-popularity in SC & it would put an end to the THREATS.
(YES, i believe that there have been threats to "out" him, that came straight out of "the dirty tricks department" of the National DIMocRAT Committee. - the DIMocRATS are well-known for being IMMORAL/AMORAL, vengeful & stupidly "over-reaching".- that's one BIG reason why they will LOSE both houses of Congress this November!).

most everyone, that i know in SC, believes that he IS "gay" & could NOT care less one way or the other. = my 18YO nice giggles & says that he's "as girly as i am"- she couldn't care less who (or IF) he sleeps with.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 23, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

@TN46
It's 2:42 a. m. and not being able to sleep before reading your ad nauseam dribble. most of which makes no sense whatsoever. You seem to be an expert on every topic sort of like Michelle Bachman. However, you write as poorly as she thinks before opening her mouth. There must have been a terrible Mexican immigrant problem when you were in school. You certainly did not learn to write the English language. Come join my ESL class, I could probably teach you a thing or two.

Posted by: lvbgsiz | April 23, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

lvbgsiz,

your opinion has been fully considered & discounted to it's actual value to this discussion. = ZERO, NADA, ZILCH & NOTHING.

btw, what is YOUR earned doctorate in? - you know the one that you do NOT have?
(fwiw, my dissertation committee thought my writing was acceptable, thanks.)

don't you wish that you had kept your mouth as "tighty closed", as your mind seems to be? -laughing AT you.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 23, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Gheen is nothing more than a bully. Enough said.
He may win whatever he's running/fighting for, but in the end he will still be just one essential thing, a bully, beating up other kids on the playground so he can get whatever he wants.

Posted by: dboy2 | April 23, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what these Tea-baggers are putting in their tea, but this is funny.

So Lindsey Graham is being black-mailed with John McCain on immigration reform to keep illegal aliens in the US? Really? That is funny.

Are these the same Tea-baggers that want to join NORML and let them smoke dope as well as drink tea?

Lindsey, just follow Crist's lead and get a girlfriend or wife for a while. (Just don't hug Obama first or you may have your own Rubio to fight against in a primary.) The Tea-baggers can accept divorce to protect marriage, but they can't accept Gays, who they say don't protect marriage.

These Tea-baggers sure know how to have a good time.

Posted by: benighse | April 25, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

benighse,

YOU WIN the "pink popsickle award" for the DUMBEST POST of the day - don't you understand?

it's the DIMocRATS that are doing the BLACKMAILING.

WHEN are you going to figure out that the DIMocRATS are GARBAGE & NO decent moderate to conservative person can stand them any more? = that's why the DIMocRAT lunatics/bigots/extremists will LOSE BOTH HOUSES this November & why BHO will LOSE by a huge landslide in 2012.

if you cannot figure out that you're being "played for a FOOL", i PITY you. = we Tea Party people are NOT "the problem", as we are no different than 80% of American voters.

the problem is the hate-FILLED, arrogant, SELF-important DIMocRATS, who will SAY/DO/LIE ABOUT anything/anybody to get ahead. = my advice, do NOT be a FOOL.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | April 25, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

If Graham is gay he should come out of the closet and not be on the DL. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Sexual orientation is inborn. He might even cut ties with the anti-gay GOP, which doesn't know how to do anything beyond screw things up completely and then blame others.

Just look at what they've done with immigration. George W. Bush and other leading Republicans, along with US corporations, encouraged massive undocumented immigration. It drove down wages, undercut the unions, and provided cheap labor for a host of industries. Now that right-wing ideology has destroyed the economy, the GOP is turning on the immigrants rather than admitting its role or pushing for a sound policies for the future. Worst of all are the teabaggers, who claim to hate big government but welcome the police state tactics in Arizona.

We'll do better when instead of insanity on the right we have coherent conservatives who aren't motivated by hate and racism and white supremacy, and instead return to the sort of reason that animated the GOP from Lincoln through Dwight Eisenhower. Reaganism-Bushism is a total failure, for everyone, including the poor immigrants being targeted in Arizona.

Posted by: jiji1 | April 27, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse