GOP: Gimmicky Old Party

A couple of weeks ago, I lamented the lack of Republican ideas that weren't from well-worn GOP talking points. I held out hope that an effort being led by Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) would be the answer to my plea. No such luck. Like Dana Milbank, I, too, spent some time on the "America Speaking Out" Web site that launched yesterday and came away completely underwhelmed and frustrated. Democrats and Republicans were sent to Washington to lead, not outsource government to cranks on the Internet.

McCarthy's goal is lofty. Engage the American people in a debate over policy (that adhere to Republican principles, of course). Participants can vote for or against ideas. And they earn rewards points, which would be worthwhile if the prize was roundtrip tickets to Anywhere, U.S.A. It's not. Anyway, McCarthy and his colleagues will then put all the viable ideas into a single Manifesto for America to be released in the fall. They insist this has nothing to do with the November elections. I should point out that even though this is America speaking out, the Republicans reserve the right to ignore America if the first, second or even third most popular policy proposal is not to their liking.

mferguson-p01.jpg

That may be for the best. Milbank spotlighted some of the same wacky ideas I noticed yesterday. My personal favorite is the one about how dolphins and whales aren't mammals. "If it swims in the water, it is a FISH. Period!" It reminded me of something Democratic Texas Gov. Miriam "Ma" Ferguson (1925-1927 and 1933-1935) famously said in opposition to Spanish being spoken in public schools: "If the King's English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for the children of Texas!" (That puts the whole Texas textbook massacre into perspective, doesn't it?) And there was this idea under "Environment/Energy."

If you were serious about conservation, you would outlaw all of the drive-thru service windows: food service, banks, etc. The only exception would be the Beer Barn, where the girls in outfits rivaling those of NFL cheerleaders climb ladders to retrieve 12-packs.

Voters sent McCarthy and 534 other people to Congress to enact laws that preserve and protect the American dream. They were sent to Washington to do the hard work of finding solutions to the nation's considerable problems. I wish they would spend as much time coming up with real proposals and alternatives to Democratic Party ideas as they did putting together this giant social networking gimmick that does neither the Republican Party nor the nation any good.

By Jonathan Capehart  | May 26, 2010; 7:23 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After BP oil spill, is it time to abandon offshore drilling?
Next: Listen to the American people: Repeal "don't ask don't tell"

Comments

So, where is the Beer Barn?

Posted by: AMviennaVA | May 26, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm in agreement with AMvienna. We should A)Exempt the Beer Barn from future environmental laws enacted for drive throughs. And B) discover it's location.

Oh, and C) I hope the original Beer Barn poster enjoys parody as much as I and apparently, AMVienna, do.

Posted by: kban495 | May 26, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I wish they would spend as much time coming up with real proposals and alternatives to Democratic Party ideas.............

========================================

As if you would ever take any Republican proposal seriously. Please drop the pretense that you're bipartisan, Capeheart.

On a lighter note, the "whales are fish" post was funny.

Posted by: bbface21 | May 26, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree with AMvienna kban495 about the Beer Barn, although I would prefer that the customers not buy 12 packs of beer from drive-in windows. I also suspect Governor Ferguson was joking. And I agree that the Internet is full of cranks AND shills and disinformation agents, but the mainstream media consists of nothing but Zionist aparatchiks.

Posted by: markoller | May 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

All: Please do not misunderstand me. I am not advocating buying 12-packs of beer from a drive-in, just ordering them at the Beer Barn.

On a serious note, after scanning the GOP site, the 'Beer Barn' comment seemed to be the only one of any use! Which unfortunately seems to be par for the course for the GOP.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | May 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Like AMvienna, my post was also a bit tongue in cheek. However, I am pro beer. And the last time I checked with my REAL conservative friends (so long ago- they've been usurped by fake conservatives), beer had bi-partisan appeal.

As an unintended (and mostly lamentable) consequence of my job, I get to hear a lot from the american public regarding their opinions. So over time, I can tell who's pulling my leg, and who's unnervingly serious - from all political stripes. From what I'm reading on that website, a good majority of them are serious.

Again, unnervingly so.

Posted by: kban495 | May 26, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

So....

Where IS Beer Barn?

(...you opened up this line of questioning, Jonathan...)

Posted by: kban495 | May 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Jr.'s Beer Barn is located at 28th and Guadalupe in Austin, Texas. You can get a keg dropped into your pickup bed and the hose passed through the back window into the cab.

Posted by: dug1 | June 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse