GOP hands Charlie Crist a victory

No, the Republicans aren’t welcoming Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, who announced recently that he’s running for Senate as an independent, back into their party. But they did give him something he badly wanted. The party announced this afternoon that it would be holding its 2012 national convention in the Tampa-Saint Petersburg area, Crist’s home base.

Crist lobbied hard to get the convention; when I interviewed him in late March – back when he was still running in the Republican primary for the Senate – it was after a news conference in which he was pitching Republicans on the beauty and efficiency of his metro area. This raises all sorts of delicious possibilities: if Crist wins Florida’s Senate seat this fall as an independent, will Republicans invite him to their convention? Will Crist want to go?

Speaking as someone who attends these to-do’s, I’m happy with the Republican’s choice. Tampa-Saint Pete is a lovely area, and I love the idea of getting some beach time in between the speeches. And congratulations to Charlie Crist.

By E.J. Dionne  | May 12, 2010; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  Dionne  | Tags:  E.J. Dionne
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What will Britain's government do about 'slavish' relations with U.S.?
Next: Auto dealers: special interests or special friends?

Comments

EJ, I'm suprised the Teabirthers haven't protested against the decision because it wasn't originated by Rubio.

Posted by: timothyhogan | May 12, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Y'all can speculate, all you want; but Charlie is toast! A man who shows he has no solid principles doesn't deserve to be "a representative of the people of Florida".

Posted by: RichFromTampa | May 12, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@Richfromtampa.

Crist will win the senate seat. Teabag Rubio will lose in a 3 way race. Most people aren't nuts like your ilk. Their politics lie in the middle.

Posted by: lenegal77 | May 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

EJ, when did you become Charlie Crist's super-fan? Oh, I remember, right after the Democrats were unable to locate a single electable warm body in a state where (if I believe your previous columns) the Republicans should have no chance of winning because of their blatant anti-Hispanic policies and platform.

Pick a side and stick with it for more than one day. Or is this your strategy to be the next Supreme Court nominee?

Posted by: d-35 | May 12, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

d-35, this is just Dionne's way of keeping up with the Obama lies. Dionne just has to change his likes to keep up with the man. Sad, isn't it? A true journalist would have more sense.

Posted by: annnort | May 12, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichFromTampa

Wow!!! Someone who thinks Florida politicians have solid principles. Carl Hiassen swears he gets most of his books simply by observing what goes on in Florida politics.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 13, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Most people are fair and level headed. Crist has a chance to win in Florida since the Dem candidate is weak. Most of the people who vote in the general are not like the GOP base. Most look for ways to solve problems not make them worse.

Posted by: Gary15 | May 13, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Forget "Good Time Charlie." What matters here is that the Repubs are holding their 2012 convention in Tampa, informally known as "America's Lap Dance Headquarters." I mean, why do you *think* we host the Super Bowl so often?

The one misstep here is that our local sex industry is targeted heavily at heterosexuals, so we'll probably need to import "rent boys" and gay strippers to take care of many high-profile Republicans' urges.

One thing that will make our visiting conventioneers happy, though: gay or straight, sex with animals is still legal in Florida. Our Republican-dominated legislature has once again refused to pass an anti-bestiality law.

So come on down, Republicans! Have a great time! Our strip bars will be freshly cleaned, we'll put a special shine on all the "wide stance" men's room stalls at the airport, we'll import lots of good-looking young men from Ft. Lauderdale to help with your baggage (wink, wink) and there are many thousands of dairy cattle within an hour's drive.

MOO! :)

Posted by: roblimo | May 13, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I am a registered Democrat and a family of 3 voters who will vote for Crist. He has done an excellent job as Govenor of Florida and looks after the people he represents whether Republican or Democrat. Too bad that most of our current day politicians march in lock step with their party and the people be damned....

Posted by: ginger470132 | May 13, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Ginger.I was a Democrat till this last election when I saw what the Democrats were doing to the Clinton's. I also think Charlie has been good for us as our Govenor.I don't care which party wins as long as they work for us.Obama has got to go before there is no America as we had once.

Posted by: BTobias62 | May 13, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Crist only wins if the Democrats prove to be the party of closet racists. Meek is a proven member of Congress, and if he can't get above the 20% number in the polls it illustrates that many Democrats who claim to be the party of open minded individuals are worse than Republicans. I will take the racist out in the open to the closet racist every time.

Posted by: KCV257 | May 13, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

If Meek was white would all these Democrats be flocking to a Governor who has record unemployment in his state?

Where is Obama for Meek? Ask yourself that question.

Posted by: KCV257 | May 13, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mr. Dionne, ask yourself this: How many Black Democrats are members of the US Senate?

Where is the media outrage over Obama abandoning Meek?

Posted by: KCV257 | May 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I am sure as hell not a racist and deplore anyone that calls me one! What I do is look at a person's accomplishments and the qualities of governing. Crist has shown me these qualities and the I hate the party of NO that will not work with Obama to the detriment of America. Crist will do that. Meeks doesn't have a track record I can quote and I have received nothing in the mail nor from my Democrat party in emails about Meeks.

Posted by: ginger470132 | May 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

The Tea Party and Republican Party are in flux now. The fog is lifting and the American people realize that they have been constantly lied to by both parties, desperate to discredit the democrats and regain power, so that Wall Street, insurance companies and big oil, major health corporations can again loot the American people out of their nest eggs and investments, and savings. Thousands of hard working Americans have been fleeced by these white collar crooks, and the republicans protect these people by obstructing the Obama led administration, from Wall Street reform. The republicans allow these greedy crooks, to continue to steal from the American people. Americans have to target the politicians who shield these white collar bandits and get them out of office now, so we can have a better life without worrying about the Enrons, Goldman Sachs, Madoffs, BP, Halliburton and the AIGs of America.

Posted by: sandtrap | May 13, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Charlie Crist has a prayer of getting the Senate Seat. He is nothing but another wolf in sheep clothing. Like Arlen Specter. We need to vote for Rubio. He is the only one that is going to take care of the American people and not let those Scumbags in the WH take advantage of the American people like Crist would. Crist voted for the Stimulus bailout and other things, and I have seen he and Obama together and I think there is some buddy, buddy business going on and we need to put a stop to Crist and Obama. Everyone needs to listen to Rubio. The government is trying to help Crist and that is very wrong. Another thing Crist should be made give the Republican money back. He is no longer a Republican, so he doesn't need Republican money. The GOP'S should not be trying to help Crist out and let him go to any city he wants to go to in Florida. Don't try to help this Idiot out, he chose to go Independent because he couldn't stand to loose his seat in the Senate. Rubio is the one that should win the Senate seat. I will stand behind Rubio all the way.

Posted by: snickers141 | May 16, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse