Richard Blumenthal can't have it both ways on Vietnam

Back when I was a Green Beret commando in the final days of the Vietnam War, moving unseen and unheard along the Ho Chi Minh Trail like a ninja, wreaking havoc in the enemy's lines and then disappearing like a ghost... Okay, okay, I regret that misstatement. If you want to get all technical about it, I've never served in the military at all, much less in Vietnam. I did have a draft number, back in the day, but it was a pretty high one. If my number had been called, I'd have scrambled to get a deferment.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal -- who also never served in Vietnam -- regrets his misstatements, too. Blumenthal, a Democrat who is running for the U.S. Senate, said today he takes "full responsibility" for the "few occasions" on which he uttered "misplaced words" such as these: "We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam." According to the New York Times, which broke the story, Blumenthal obtained five successive draft deferments, which kept him out of the war for years, before finally enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserve, which was never deployed.

Avoiding Vietnam like the plague was a popular choice. Dick Cheney did it, George W. Bush did it -- at the time, it seemed like everybody was doing it. Basically, if you could stay in college, you could avoid being drafted. If your number got called and you had no place left to hide, you could enlist in a reserve unit that was unlikely to be called up and sent to 'Nam. It was an unfair system, because while the draft was supposed to be an equalizer, the fact was that those who had money and options didn't have to go to war if they chose not to. Still, Blumenthal didn't do anything dishonest or dishonorable.

At least not until he started claiming to have "served in Vietnam." On a number of other occasions, without explicitly saying that he fought in the war, he left audiences with the distinct impression that he had. At a news conference Tuesday, Blumenthal expressed regret for his "misplaced words." He should have dispensed with the mistakes-were-made tap dance and offered a full-fledged apology.

And he should stop pretending that he was gung-ho to join the Vietnam War effort. "I wanted to serve," he said Tuesday, explaining his enlistment in the reserves. But if Blumenthal had really wanted to go to war, military recruiters would have been happy to oblige him. I know people who made that choice. I respect and honor their decision, just as I respect the decision of those -- like, well, me -- who wanted nothing to do with what most Americans came to see as a cruel, senseless, unwinnable war. What's impossible to respect is trying to have it both ways.

By Eugene Robinson  | May 18, 2010; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  Robinson  | Tags:  Eugene Robinson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trouble with white, blue-collar vote for Dems, Obama?
Next: One cheer for Rand Paul

Comments

Ok so now it was all right for Cheney to get deferments and Bush to serve in the Reserves. Once again the chickens come home to roost and the Neosocs, libs and dems have to circle the wagons and backtrack to protect one of their own.

Posted by: letswin | May 18, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

When people speak of politicians, its "misplaced words" like these that make me think of coniving snakes.

Posted by: LouGatsby | May 18, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It's all about dishonesty. Blumental is toast.

Posted by: jimsteinberg1 | May 18, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@letswin - It's always been okay for anyone at all to have served in the Reserves. What's not okay is serving in the Reserves and then blaming other people for not having served in the Real Thing. (Or, better yet, serving in the Reserves and then letting people who *did* actually go to war get smeared; see Kerry, John.)

Posted by: walkleftstandright | May 18, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

A real pity that Blumenthal cannot just come right out and state the truth -- that it was politically expedient to say what he said. He is not the first to do such a thing, nor he last. I would admire honesty. I hate hypocrisy.

Posted by: jwnall | May 18, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Bloomey is dead on arrival. He wussied out of going to war and now claiming he was in Nam is the kiss of death. What a loser.

Posted by: nyx567 | May 18, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd be less likely to vote for him saying he was in the military even if he really was.

I don't like people that give up years of their own free will to take kill-or-be-killed orders without question from a guy with more cloth stripes on his clothes.

That's about the height of stupidity to me. A guy I would want to vote for would find some way to get a deferment...but then...not lie about it...

Posted by: Gover | May 18, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I am a former United States Combat Marine who did serve in d'nam in 1967 / 1968. Frankly I am bored to death with all of the imposters who claim to have been patriots and served their country when actually all they did was hide and cower while the rest of us went and did something honorable.

They award themselves lots of medals for watching Apocolypse Now Redux, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Band of Brothers and now the Pacific and boast how BAD they had it while porking down DOTS, JU JU BEES, munching on popcorn and sucking down sody pops.

They aren't even qualifed to meet the minimum sene qua non minimums to be qualified as a Freekin REMIF. They are to be shamed and should be ashamed of their abhorrent stolen honor behavior.

Oh, and another thing... I was never treated badly on my return. I might have loved it however. The scuzbag scum who want to dishonor my service would and WILL rue the day they cast aspersions on my service to the United States of America.

Semper Fidelis and FUBIS FIGMO!!!

Posted by: vowel_movement1 | May 18, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Biden got 5 deferments too so what . Dick needs to quit .

Posted by: borntoraisehogs | May 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

He also said he was on the Harvard swimming team and when he was on the IM team. What a scammer liar doosh.

Posted by: nyx567 | May 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

This is just a dishonest man. If he is so willing to try and mislead folks now, he'll surely do so while in office.

I hope all in CT will demand that he withdraw his candidacy and make way for another more honest member of his party to run.

Posted by: dnara | May 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Blumenliar is a pig!!!!

Posted by: jcmale14 | May 18, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing dishonorable in not fighting in Vietnam. But to lie about it, that is an outrage which dishonors the patriotism of every American, regardless of whether they served in the armed forces or served as an opposition force to that crazy war.

Maybe the voters of Connecticutt will finally get it right and not elect this bum to higher office.

Blumenthal should resign. He should no longer be the Attorney General of Connecticutt.

Posted by: jkrogman | May 18, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Blumenliar is a pig!!!!

Posted by: jcmale14 | May 18, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

His statement today suggests he's preferring to auger right into the ground rather than try and recover. I guess there's not an easy recovery to that sort of thing anyway. Shame.

Posted by: HardyW | May 18, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I note that Bill Clinton and Joe Biden are conveniently left off of your list of those who "avoided service" in Vietnam.

And, of course, it misses the point entirely - no one is criticizing Blumenthal's service - it's his LIES.

Blumenthal should do the people of CT a favor and leave public service.

Posted by: TomPaine76 | May 18, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gover | May 18, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Another "progressive" who open refuses to serve is needed, assuming they even could if called upon. Pathetic that the current "progressive" leadership in this country is full of people with this mentality.

Posted by: RobParker | May 18, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

If Blumenthal (or Cheney for that matter) had wanted to serve their country, they could what I did in 1964: join the army. I am so sick of these damned hypocrites who busy making a career while I actually was in Vietnam. If Limbaugh and others want to be considered patriots, please tell us why they did NOT serve -- or did not even attempt to enlist. As for Blumenthal, he is a liar who should be thrown off the ballot. And I say that as a Democrat.

Posted by: alamo2 | May 18, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Ah U-Jean,,,,,

You conveniently forgot too mention Joe Biden's 5 deferments.

Posted by: dashriprock | May 18, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Richard Blumenthal is an absolute scoundrel. How mainstream Democrats treat he and his Vietnam War fabrications in the next few days will speak volumes about whether the party itself has any remaining sense of honor.

For the record: Resume padding occurs when a man tells people he graduated from Yale when he really graduated from Clemson. Cretinous behavior occurs when a man is caught trying to steal the valor of those who have actually known war's "meat grinder." Blumenthal's character is shameful on so many different levels.

And so it goes...
USMC (Ret)

Posted by: pgould1 | May 18, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Why am I not surprised that you would have done anything not to serve your country? Yet you misuse on a weekly basis one of the most precious rights our country offers -- freedom of speech.

Posted by: anti-danyboy | May 18, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Neglected in Mr. Robinson's column, in additon to the 5 deferments, Mr. Blumenthal has one of the "New England Exceptions" for "Vietnam Service Embellishment", which of course exempts him from being truthful. As always, Mr. Robinson gets it wrong.

Posted by: richardj1 | May 18, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Democrats should not support the candidacy of any one who lies or is less than forthcoming on the truth concerning matters of importance. Voters must be able to trust the people they put into office or our political system will not work. Integrity and honesty matter. Mr. Blumenthal has repeatedly and knowingly lied about his service. For him to say that he merely "mispoke" is another lie. Mr. Blumenthal knew he did not serve in Vietnam and knew the difference between serving in Vietnam and serving during the Vietnam era. He chose to mislead the public by mischaracterizing his service. Connecticut voters should reject his candidacy and instead, select someone else who is honest and has integrity.

Posted by: abishop2 | May 18, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abishop2 | May 18, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

If this guy gets any votes it will end three generations of Democrats at my house. Lying about that particular subject makes me want to throw up, it is not tolerated here. M. Ali did not get to win or lose an election, he was just punished, and he did nothing wrong. This punk because he is rich gets headlines of what a fine man he is and has always been. My Mother ran the Selective Service Office in my hometown and this kind of thing she took personally. The Amish not saluting the flag or even being forced to appear in the courtroom was bad enough, they made their sisters appear for them and then the sister of the guy being drafted was forced to work in hospitals or really do nothing, this was his punishment, tough duty, it really bothered her in her job. But when one of these rich mommies boys pulled the college scam over and over it sent her up the wall. There is no forgiving this jerk, he is the lowest of the low. An apology, where in the world were you raised, and by whom, or what I guess. If he wins we no longer read your columns also. So hitch your wagon to a dead horse and be a dummy. It is a sad day that I write to you like this, you were my favorite, but you have gone over the edge. What kind of Kool-Aid did you drink, or does someone have naked pictures of you, or your wife or kids or what, how could you sink so low. An apology, your tenure at writing should be ending soon, you are a washed up, hack. Sorry so sorry. Tc

Posted by: therondr201 | May 18, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

If this guy gets any votes it will end three generations of Democrats at my house. Lying about that particular subject makes me want to throw up, it is not tolerated here. M. Ali did not get to win or lose an election, he was just punished, and he did nothing wrong. This punk because he is rich gets headlines of what a fine man he is and has always been. My Mother ran the Selective Service Office in my hometown and this kind of thing she took personally. The Amish not saluting the flag or even being forced to appear in the courtroom was bad enough, they made their sisters appear for them and then the sister of the guy being drafted was forced to work in hospitals or really do nothing, this was his punishment, tough duty, it really bothered her in her job. But when one of these rich mommies boys pulled the college scam over and over it sent her up the wall. There is no forgiving this jerk, he is the lowest of the low. An apology, where in the world were you raised, and by whom, or what I guess. If he wins we no longer read your columns also. So hitch your wagon to dead horse and be a dummy. It is a sad day that I write to you like this, you were my favorite, but you have gone over the edge. What kind of Kool-Aid did you drink, or does someone have naked pictures of you, or your wife or kids or what, how could you sink so low. An apology, your tenure at writing should be ending soon, you are a washed up, hack. Sorry so sorry. Tc

Posted by: therondr201 | May 18, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

When stating that you have served in the military you have to choose your words carefully. It would be OK to say “I served during the Vietnam era” with not actually being in Vietnam. It is the same as saying I served in WWII without having served in Europe or the Pacific. Many fine soldiers did sterling service during WWII in the states and their service was just as valuable as those who fought. The same can be said during the Vietnam era. But once you claim you have served in Vietnam you must have served there. Blumenthal crossed the line.

Posted by: jdbassjr1 | May 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Eugene, you didn't have to tell us that you have never served in our military.
One could realize that after reading only a few of your columns.

Posted by: state82 | May 18, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

A self-important, entitled liar who won't admit he lied, muchless offer a sincere apology (half-truths and insincere apologies are simply MORE LIES).

I know we don't expect much of our politicians, but really--how could ANYONE cast a vote for this guy?

Posted by: pepperjade | May 18, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Eugene Robinson is right. I watched the video of at least one time he said he served in Vietnam. He didn't misspeak! He LIED! An abject groveling humble heartfelt apology might have repaired a little of the damage, but this guy? Now he's acting indignant and lying some more. Misspoke my eye!!! Surely the people of CT honor our military and veterans enough to show this guy the door?

Posted by: valwayne | May 18, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, he forgot he wasn't in Vietnam. What's more important, however,is that America seems to have learned nothing since. A self-entitled little rich-boy moron, Bush, made sure that our stupidity would continue well into the twenty-first century.

Posted by: Farnaz1Mansouri1 | May 18, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

There is no merit in having participated in Vietnam.

If people didn't learn that from John Kerry being swiftboated, they might now.

Avoiding the killing of others is heroic.

Posted by: forestbloggod | May 18, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

As a Viet Nam era vet, and far too respectful of the service of the men and women who were there to state anything other than that, I find Blumenthal's history of "misspeaking" disgusting. For me this is a big faux pas, one for which is there is no excuse. Period.

Posted by: sokrtz | May 18, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"Five successive draft deferments"?

Sounds like he's the same kind of patriot as Dick Cheney.

. . . and just what IS it with guys named 'Richard' anyway?

. . . Blumenthal, Cheney, Nixon - they're all Dicks.

Posted by: palmtree2001 | May 18, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Blumenthal ought to gracefully apologize then drop out of the race. Like George Bush, he obviously had someone with influence get him out of active duty. Sure he volunteered - for the reserves - that way he wouldn't be drafted. There's something odd about someone who lies about his background - especially when the truth is bound to be found out.

Posted by: MNUSA | May 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

No one should ever claim to have served in Vietnam or any other war zone that did't do so. It's disrespectful to those who were there and experienced Hell on Earth or worse yet paid the ultimate price for their country. Mr Blumenthal can try to change his story, but he'd never get my vote after insulting the true heros.

Posted by: TAPJR | May 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TAPJR | May 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

"Five successive draft deferments"?

Sounds like he's the same kind of patriot as Dick Cheney.

. . . and just what IS it with guys named 'Richard' anyway?

. . . Blumenthal, Cheney, Nixon - they're all Dicks.

Posted by: palmtree2001 | May 18, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm as progressive as anyone and a true blue Democrat, but this guy has to quit the race. I couldn't vote for someone that lied about going to Vietnam! He might have to resign as Attorney General as well!

Posted by: johnnyspazm | May 18, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

vowel, thank you for your service and your honesty in saying nobody mistreated you on your return. I hope that most of us can distinguish between our feelings on a political decision and our respect for service members.

But I am rather puzzled. I just heard a Connecticut political reporter say that he'd heard Blumenthal mention service during the Vietnam era, but never service in Vietnam. Clearly, nobody is denying the quotes found by the New York Times -- even one of them is reprehensible.

But I remember Sen. Chris Smith (R- NH) who loudly claimed himself a Vietnam vet for serving in the merchant marine during the Vietnam era, apparently nowhere near the South China Sea -- and I don't remember anybody fussing about his transparent lie. Of course, the man was so thick-headed that there were a lot of other missteps you could focus on.

At least Blumenthal actually served out his reserve hitch. Seems to me W ran away from the last few years of his. . .

Posted by: thmas | May 18, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with Letswin's comments below. After combat zone avoider George W. and draft dodger Cheney, why is what one did or didn't do during the Vietnam War still a campaign issue?

Posted by: Eureka1 | May 18, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Eureka1 -

Do you froth at the mouth when you are whining about Bush's service? LOL

Keep on hatin' LOL

Posted by: bobmoses | May 18, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Everybody knows that Bush and Cheney avoided combat service, but unlike Blumenthal, they didn't pretend that they had served in Vietnam. And that's the only issue here.

AFAIC any public official who fabricates his combat service should be forced into resigning in disgrace, and if he doesn't, he should be voted out of office. And I say this as a liberal Democrat. This shouldn't be a partisan dispute.

Posted by: andym108 | May 18, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

TOAST!

Posted by: gordonm7 | May 18, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Sons of fathers who served in World War II were often expected to go wherever the national government sent them. Even to Vietnam, which turned out to be a statement-making by the U.S. to the U.S.S.R. that America was prepared to pay any price, bear any burden in the name of Liberty. Short of ticking off the U.S.S.R. to the point of nuclear Armageddon. A war that is only a fashion statement is not much of war. There's no difference to the men sent to fight in such a war. It still stinks for them. And, what do you know? The right wingers and hard hats of 1968 were, indeed, wrong about the war. The hippies and rioters on campus were right. The Silent Majority was wrong. Walter Cronkite was right. Then we got Nixon and had four more years .. of war. It is, after all, Traditional to support Your President, Your Country, right or wrong. Those who fought in Vietnam deserve our thanks. Some went voluntarily. Others were conscripted. Those who helped John Stennis fight his war thought they were doing the right thing. They were. In the small. In the large, they weren't. But don't say you were there serving honorably when you weren't. It's not nice.

Posted by: BlueTwo1 | May 18, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

walkleftstandright ~ please, please, enough bleating. Of course Kerry and Blumenthal did the same thing.

Blumenthal said he went to the Nam, but he didn't

Kerry said he went to Cambodia, but he didn't.

There are many other similarities between the two. We don't need to list them to demonstrate that neither is fit for public office.

Posted by: muawiyah | May 18, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

thmas ~ once Sandy Burger gave up the information on where he'd misfiled "W"'s military records, it was readily determined he'd completed all requirements and actually had flown 50% more than was allowed in that model jet fighter.

BTW, by 1970 when Blumenthal joined the Reserves Nixon was promising to Vietnamize the war and our forces were no longer being expanded. The draft was of far less importance.

That's not the real problem here. As the Washington Post can tell you he was an advisor to the former owner. He was running for office in territory the New York Times considers their own.

The NYT management didn't want him to be Senator of CT so they released and pushed the story of him telling fibs about being in the Nam (just like Tom Harkin, but the NYT didn't tell you).

I'm not sure how the Warhspost defends itself in this, but maybe they have something up their sleeves.

Posted by: muawiyah | May 18, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

In Blumenthal's book, lying, cheating and bragging about hard battles fought in Vietnam that never took place, except in his twisted mind, all of this is only "misplaced words."

The double-faced creepy snake has not only lied and kept on lying to his teeth, but he also thinks we are so stupid as to fall for his bull and sweet mellow talk.

What a shame. It an insult for those who died in silence by the thousands while this fraud was having good time in his rat hole.

This $OB makes me sick to death.

Posted by: foxblues | May 19, 2010 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Eugene:
I have often disagreed with you, but on this one you are right on! Another poster mentioned Tom Harkin who openly lied about his duty in the Air Force and was never held accountable!!

Posted by: RedSnapper2 | May 19, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Democrat, and until yesterday, I thought Blumenthal was the prefect Senate candidate. No more. As much as I despised Dick Cheney and George Bush (I could never understand why the military supported two draft/combat dodgers like them)at least they did not blatantly LIE about being in combat when they weren't.

Posted by: smeesq | May 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

So what if he lied about military service? Everybody does it!
Oh, waitaminnit, that's sex with subordinates under half their age. This guy's a scumbag.

Posted by: reheiler | May 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

What a clown. This will probably kill his political future. I have no problem with Bill Clinton's path during Vietnam. He was against the war and did what he could to avoid serving. I have a bit of a problem with Bush being a war supporter and pulling strings to get into the Guard, but at least he served. I have a big problem with someone like Cheney who was a war supporter, but did everything he could to avoid service. Did he think that war is fine, but it's up to poor kids to fight it?

Posted by: Gutavo | May 19, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: letswin

-------------------------------------------

White a hypocritical pile. Biden had 5 deferments and the would be dictator Obummer would never have had the chutzpah to serve in the military.

Can you imagine Obama in a military uniform? LMAO

Posted by: Straightline | May 19, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Gee, an article from the race baiting hack w/ no mention of race. Will wonders never cease?

Posted by: JohnLeeHooker1 | May 19, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter which party with which a candidate is affiliated, when you lie or purposefully misrepresent facts, you should be castigated severely.

While Blumenthal has certainly lost much of my respect, he shouldn't be forced out of a race because of these deeds.

No, he should be made to stay in the race and let the voters have their way with him. Perhaps after a good drubbing, he might learn this lesson well...

Posted by: Polly_Tics | May 19, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

“If you want to get all technical about it, I've never served in the military at all, much less in Vietnam.”

I guess that means you fit right in at the Post!

“Avoiding Vietnam like the plague was a popular choice. Dick Cheney did it, George W. Bush did it -- at the time, it seemed like everybody was doing it.”

BUT, Mapes had information prior to the airing of the September 8 [2004] Segment that President Bush, while in the TexANG [Texas Air National Guard] did volunteer for service in Vietnam but was turned down in favor of more experienced pilots. For example, a flight instructor who served in the TexANG with Lieutenant Bush advised Mapes in 1999 that Lieutenant Bush “did want to go to Vietnam but others went first.” Similarly, several others advised Mapes in 1999, and again in 2004 before September 8, that Lieutenant Bush had volunteered to go to Vietnam but did not have enough flight hours to qualify. –Bernie Goldberg commenting and quoting from page 130 of the outside panel’s investigation into “Rathergate.”

Posted by: ChesDead | May 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I guess that means you fit right in at the Post!

BUT, [CBS' Mary] Mapes had information prior to the airing of the September 8 [2004] Segment that President Bush, while in the TexANG [Texas Air National Guard] did volunteer for service in Vietnam but was turned down in favor of more experienced pilots. For example, a flight instructor who served in the TexANG with Lieutenant Bush advised Mapes in 1999 that Lieutenant Bush “did want to go to Vietnam but others went first.” Similarly, several others advised Mapes in 1999, and again in 2004 before September 8, that Lieutenant Bush had volunteered to go to Vietnam but did not have enough flight hours to qualify. –Bernie Goldberg commenting and quoting from page 130 of the outside panel’s investigation into “Rathergate.”

Posted by: ChesDead | May 20, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse