Why Chris Christie is catching fire

A few weeks ago, I reported on the growing popularity of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie in the Garden State and beyond. If you want to get a sense of why Christie is catching fire with conservatives across America, watch this video of the governor putting a New Jersey reporter in his place -- and delivering a vigorous defense of limited government, lower taxes, and less spending. This man says what he means, and means what he says. He is headed for great things.

By Marc Thiessen  | May 14, 2010; 1:54 PM ET
Categories:  Thiessen  | Tags:  Marc Thiessen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sarah Palin slams feminists -- and makes an interesting point
Next: Obama's collect call to Madrid

Comments

When American wants corpulence, it will turn to Christie. Don't hold your breath. And has anyone else noticed that rightwing fanboys get smitten over, and then toss overboard at the first sign of trouble, Republican governors. "Kenneth the Page" Jindal and Bob "Confederate Apologist" McDonnell were both supposed to be the anti-Obama. At this rate, Thiessen and the rest of the "Tiger Beat" conservatives will have a new hearthrob by the fall.

Posted by: oldabandonedbeachhouse | May 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If Christie was in the room right now, I would apologize to his face… I voted for Lonegan in the primary.. I thought that he was a more consistent voice for small government… this New Jersian couldn’t be happier with the new governor… and he has my vote as often as he runs..

Posted by: swc55 | May 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swc55 | May 14, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... the comment box is very buggy

Posted by: swc55 | May 14, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What is with the love for Christie. I had lived in Jersey for years and what residents care about most is property taxes, and they will be going up. See, this is what happens when you shrink the size of State government - the local governments take the brunt and that means increased property taxes. My mother is already dreading the reassessment and increased taxes. And, let's not even get into the education cuts.

If Christie wants to be bold and innovative, the one thing he should try is consolidating New Jersey communities (there are too many) as a way to save money instead of slashing education and lowering the taxes on the wealthy (by letting a temporary tax increase expire).

Posted by: egalite522 | May 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Theissen is a Teroorist

Posted by: Issa1 | May 14, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

That was the best smackdown from a public official in a long time. He says what he means, keeps his promises and remembers who he is working for. We need more of that.

Posted by: bbface21 | May 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

No the best smackdown was Jon Stewarts smackdown of Marc Thiessen. He completely exposed Thiessen for a complete joke, and showed once again he does a better job than "real reporters". What I don't understand is why the Washington Post has Thiessen on staff?

Posted by: sarar1 | May 14, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Please look a little closer before you call the man honest. He's broken promises to public employees and senior citizens. In fact if he told the truth the loss of support would have cost him the election. There are skeletons in his closet too and it doesn't take much of a search to find them.
It pains me to say it because I love my state,but, he's just another Jersey lawyer that has escaped the shark tank. Take him at his word at your own risk

Posted by: elesser | May 14, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a political person who has basic logic & thinks of citizens. So rare these days of political creatures. ego's & gang thinking seems to be the rule of most political laws.
stupid thinking political Washington- printing money not there to destroy USA.
Yea for this man. Hope others see this! Cannot take care of all! People should be able to stand alone w/o gov't intervention..

Posted by: migtex1234 | May 14, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Remember , Christie is pro choice and opposes off shore drilling. A RINO. The democratic pol's are afraid of him now because he likes to throw his weight around. However, in Christie's "Us or Them" world you'll never know which side you are on.

Posted by: elesser | May 14, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I live in NJ. I worked to get Christie votes. I am so proud to finally have a man who is able to give real hope to NJ.

I voted for Corzine and within a month I knew that I had made a terrible mistake...one that I would never repeat, because Corzine lied about everything he had said when he was campaigning.

Never again would I be fooled by a politician.

Therefore I knew all about Obama before he got his party nomination and I knew he would be the same disaster as Corzine was for NJ.

Chris Christie is the best person for any government job and those who want to attack him for doing what is best for NJ are only doing it to take care of themselves or are under pressure from the unions and other corrupt entities in this state.

Keep doing what you are doing Chris and we are very proud of you. I've never seen so many people turn out to vote for school funding and we voted them down. If the school districts pass them, they will have a fight on their hands with the citizens.

We cannot afford the corrupt practice of government on every level in our state any longer.

And we cannot sustain over 600 individual townships that each have to have their own top to bottom government and individual school systems that have every level of management running each school district.

Every school district that is not in a major city should find four other close townships and school districts to combine services and stop the madness that keeps NJ property taxes at rates higher than many of the state residents take home pay.

Go Christie.

Show us the way.

Posted by: letscheck | May 15, 2010 3:58 AM | Report abuse

I watched this smackdown of the reporter on TV last night and I was amazed at Christie. He actually stood his grounds with the reporter! If he can get rid of the corruption and the unions, he just make a good candidate nationwide in 2012. We need someone like Christie. Or Palin.

Posted by: annnort | May 15, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse