A vote for Alvin Greene

Alvin Greene, the Democratic Party nominee for the U.S. Senate from the great state of South Carolina, still confounds the people he hopes to represent -- and the rest of us. And today's story by the Post's Wil Haygood is a terrific look at the people who helped create (whether they want to admit it or not) this "Puzzle in the Palmetto State."

My favorite quote came from Ronnie Morris, 62, who explained how he came to vote for the unemployed candidate who lives with his father and has been slapped with a felony obscenity charge.

"Here's how it happened, I'll be honest," he begins, eyeing his hamburger at the restaurant in a Piggly Wiggly grocery. "In between work and lunch, I went to vote. His name was at the top of the ballot. And I just voted for him. Didn't find out anything about him until I saw him on the news for that sex investigation and I said: 'Lord have mercy. I voted for this dude!'

Left unsaid was whether Morris plans on making the same mistake again in November.

By Jonathan Capehart  | June 17, 2010; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rep. Steve King race baits Obama
Next: Tony Hayward and Joe Barton: losers of the week

Comments

I frankly wasn't convinced that a one-term state senator and half-term U.S. senator was qualified to serve as president and, as I reached the door of my polling place on Primary Day 2008, still hadn't made up my mind.

But with HRC at that point seeming to regard the primaries as a mere formality, I voted for the skinny guy with the big ears and the funny name because I thought the people deserved a contest instead of a coronation.

I voted for him again that November and look forward to my third (and maybe fourth) chance(s) in two years.

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | June 17, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, I want to know how he voted absentee TWICE for Mr. Obama.

I voted for the president (once)in Alvin's home county and always KNEW the local Election Commission was as corrupt as the day is long.

You hear that, Bobbi Reaves??

Posted by: edismae | June 17, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Same people who voted for Obama.

Posted by: traderdad37 | June 17, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Same people who couldn't use the butterfly ballots in Florida.

Posted by: kitchendragon50 | June 17, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

This is useless. One anecdote doesn't explain an event. We need to know if the voting machines were set up properly or infected with a virus. It only takes one incorrectly set up machine to flip the whole lot. Thanks, ES&S.

Posted by: michele3d | June 17, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This is useless. One anecdote doesn't explain an event. We need to know if the voting machines were set up improperly or infected with a virus. It only takes one malfunction to flip the whole lot. Thanks, ES&S.

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7899 for more info and to watch the SCDP hearings streamed live.

Posted by: michele3d | June 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Lord have mercy, if you didn't know who you were voting for, then you deserve Alvin Greene as your candidate. Stupid is as stupid does...

Posted by: wadeb123 | June 18, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse