The allure of Chelsea Clinton's wedding

I didn’t think I cared about Chelsea Clinton’s wedding. In the run-up to the big day, I scoffed at the media hype about the "wedding of the century" and America's "royal wedding." Then, there she was – staring at me from the front page of the New York Times, and I found myself suddenly wanting to know more: about the bridesmaids' dresses, the menu, their vows ... anything, and everything.

Like Hillary Clinton, I got married in an age when big weddings were not in fashion. I bought my dress the week before my wedding, off the rack for $25. My children can’t believe my hippie dress, their father’s plaid outfit or our cheap jade wedding rings. So perhaps the allure finally got to me, a glimpse of what I had missed -- perhaps like Hillary, who talked about living a bit vicariously through her daughter’s sky's-the-limit event.

But as I read the articles this morning, studying Bill, Hillary and the newlyweds over my coffee, I realized that my, and perhaps others', fascination has more do with marriage itself. In one picture is a couple just starting out their life together, flanked by another whose marriage has been so sorely tested yet seems somehow to have endured. What lessons, I wondered, did Chelsea take from her parents’ marriage? Surely yesterday Hillary and Bill had to be thinking of their own life together, with all the ups and downs – Chelsea, their beautiful daughter, no doubt being one of the highest.

Weddings are easy because on that day everyone thinks they are going to live happily ever after; we know that the real test is what comes after. This weekend, as at all weddings, it's hard not to get caught up in a day that represents so much hope and possibility.

By Jo-Ann Armao  | August 1, 2010; 4:18 PM ET
Categories:  Armao  | Tags:  Jo-Ann Armao
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sarah Palin's sleight of palm
Next: Get out of the race, Rep. Rangel

Comments

Chelsea had a wedding ???

Posted by: thgirbla | August 1, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd be curious to know a bit more about the donors who funded this $2 million wedding, given that the bride is the daughter of the secretary of state, but presumably the Post doesn't want to spoil the magic of the event.

Posted by: tomtildrum | August 1, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

On the editorial page, this writer presumes to tell us about the wonders of Michelle Rhee and the horrors of teacher unions?

Posted by: edlharris | August 1, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

that's where you and I part company, Ms. Armao, and in the very first paragraph. I care as much about Chelsea's wedding as I do about your commentary about caring about Chelsea's wedding. Which is to say not at all. ps good one, thgirlba.

Posted by: daphne5 | August 2, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations Chelsea and Marc.

May your life together be rich with deep love, good health and joy.

I hope you can ignore the cheap, bitter comments people feel they need to make. Pathetic.

Posted by: FifthandLexington | August 2, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaConservative | August 2, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Chelsea is one ugly woman with horse teeth. Just image how obama if fuming at the month because Chelsea married a Jew, obama’s secretary of state is chelsea’s mother and obama hates Jews and Israel. What a special day for one and all.

Posted by: marxist-obama | August 2, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I ignored the wedding. I am NOT INTO UGLY!

Posted by: usnr02 | August 2, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Yes you are into ugly! So are a good deal of folks on this issue. I believe Chelsea is a beautiful woman, and would suggest some of you hateful people need glasses, or better yet just some manners.

Posted by: sheilahowison | August 2, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Just no comment...
BUT WaPo moderator doesn't make his job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read again, you all, that WaPo text:

Posted by: jacquesbr69 | August 2, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Chelsea Clampett - er - Clinton is far from beautiful.

I am more concerned about what the hoopla cost us taxpayers in extra security and other expenses.

And shutting down the airspace for 12 hours - what an abuse of power. Too bad the Clintons couldn't figure a way to rope off the Hudson River as well.

What if just half the money the Clintons spent on the wedding was just given to the poor in NY State.

But the Clintons don't think of charity and their money - they only like to spend other people's money.

Posted by: mlemac | August 2, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

New beginnings always create a sense of hope and possibilities. In this case what is unsaid about the families comes with every picture. Here are two young people whose fathers both stained the ethics of the country. One with his personal adultry in our Oval Office, and the other with a get rich ponzi scheme while in public office that landed him in jail.
The big question, to be answered over time, considers if they will stand on the shoulders of the past or repeat it.
In "Don't Bring It to Work" there is a section that helps individuals look at their family history and then make choices on what they can do so the past is completed not repeated.
New beginnings are built on the foundation of the past and we can only hope that Chelsea and Mark as well as all who marry and decide to weave their family stories together are able to transform ingrained behvaior patterns and soar to new heights.

Posted by: sylvia8 | August 2, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Yaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwn

Eh what!

Allure did you say.

Give me the Jitterbug with the treble hooks.

Posted by: rcubedkc | August 2, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

What our we doing? Setting up another American Royal Family? Sorry, but I didn't buy into the Kennedy's or Bush's ...... and I'm not going to buy into the Clinton's either. Nice try.

Posted by: richard36 | August 2, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes, you missed out on a chance to spend a pile of money on a party that was all about you. Now, you want to delve into fantasy. As proof of that imagination I offer your own words, "Chelsea, their beautiful daughter".

Posted by: edbyronadams | August 2, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Sickening, all of it. We put corrupt politicians on a pedestal and call them "royalty". Has anyone taken a good look around lately? Try it once. Turn off the TV, put down your cheeseburger and pharmaceuticals, and take a good look around.

Posted by: bretb | August 2, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I was bored this weekend, so I decided to drive up and crash the wedding. I danced w/ the bride and cut in on Bill to get in a dance w/ the Secretary of State. I interrupted the band in the middle of 'Sunrise/Sunset' and proposed a toast to the newlyweds. There was an empty seat at Steven Spielberg's table, so I was able to secure a role in his next movie.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 2, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Just image how obama if fuming at the month because..
Posted by: marxist-obama
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the phrase goes, "foaming at the mouth."

Posted by: forgetthis | August 2, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"What has happened to America? When the spawn of a couple of low rent, thug criminals is referred to as "royalty" we are in trouble."

What did you expect? After all chelsea's mother is queen hillary.

Posted by: marxist-obama | August 2, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

American Royalty?

After 16 years of yuppie scum in the White House - we now have a multi-cultural disaster.

As Monica said to Bill - Please don't make me gag.

Posted by: alance | August 2, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Democrats: Party of Very Rich self-absorbed Race-card carrying, antiAmericans

Phuque 'em

Posted by: georgedixon1 | August 2, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The news media always reinforces my opinion of them when they fawn over the wedding of a child of a Democrat. A "Royal" wedding, a "wedding of the century". This obscene display of elitism from both the Clinton's and the news media is really sad. How "green" was this wedding? Elitism=hypocrisy. This insignificant woman and insignificant man were married. They spent more on the wedding than most people in this country make in a lifetime. They burned up more fossil fuels for security, transportation, etc. than they should have. But hey, it's a Democrat wedding. Just do as we say, not as we do.

Posted by: bobbo2 | August 2, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The Clintons pere et mere are sleaze from top to bottom, so I wish Chelsea well. Her new father-in-law spent 8 yrs in jail and was described by prosecutors as a "one man crime wave", so at least she has experience with familial sociopathy.

Posted by: dan1138 | August 2, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Just image how obama if fuming at the month because..
Posted by: marxist-obama
I believe the phrase goes, "foaming at the mouth."
---------------------------------

No, I’m correct by writing fuming at the mouth, and I didn’t mean “foaming at the mouth.” Fuming in the sense that because horse face Chelsea klinton married a Jew, it made obama “fume” or spit out fire from his mouth in anger because of his hatred toward the Jews and Israel. Please don’t forget obama is a radical muslim whose secretary of state’s daughter just married a Jew.

Posted by: marxist-obama | August 2, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I still don't care.

Posted by: ZZim | August 2, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Holy Jesus, people!

1) Bill and Hillary wrote a couple of books that made a couple of million each. Not to mention, Bill gets $$$$$$$ every time he shows up and opens his mouth. There were no private donations. And many parents spend way over their means to provide the most beautiful day for their children.

2) All of you who are calling Chelsea ugly - if your children come out half as ugly as you are acting right now, you're going to have some butt-ugly children. Good luck with that one.

I hope she has a beautiful life together with her husband. Good luck, Chelsea!

Posted by: whitneyuevans | August 2, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

How is it that hatred of the parents devolves into hatred of the child?

Apparently, since Chelsea Clinton is not a "liberal scum", or at least not known for being one, she must be derided for her looks.

"Chelsea Clampett?" Pretty pathetic, all around.

Brad Cole

btw, when you write something hateful, stupid, or disingenuous, how about giving us your full name? If a person's looks are so critical to you, link to a photograph of yourself so we can see how beautiful you are...

Posted by: Colemine1210 | August 2, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

wouldn't necessarily call them royalty, but glad to see she's happy and got the wedding she wanted.

don't really care about the cost.

any married woman who had an unlimited budget for her wedding GUARANTEED would have spent at least 3x's as much as they did!

oh well, at least i would have!

Posted by: nall92 | August 2, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The great sucking sound of Americans' jobs disappearing to third-world countries must have masked the quiet swish of money deposited into Bill's pockets as a thank you from big business. The Clintons are dancing and prancing while the country is suffering from the highest unemployment in more than half a century - in no small part thanks to Bill Clinton's policies. It makes me think of how the pre-revolution Russian nobles partied while the people were starving in the street, as depicted in "Doctor Zhivago." It's amazing how lucrative it is to be president, over and above the salary, if one kisses up to the right people. The wedding was a disgraceful show put on by the parvenu Clintons, flaunting their money as the nouveau-riches that they are.

Posted by: RichardHode | August 2, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I have just read the comments posted here and cannot understand why people should post such nasty comments about people who have never offended them. I doubt whether any of these people have ever met Chelsea Clinton or her husband.I just think this is envy. I am researching a paper which contends that envy might be an illness. I have found a lot of material here.
Even if you do not have it in you to wish the married couple well, just leave them alone. Do not insult them.

Posted by: sema | August 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Righwingnuts are such scummy, hateful, little people. No wonder they worship trailer trash like Sarah Palin.

Looking forward to the next Bristol Palin out-of-wedlock birth announcement!

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | August 2, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

what the parents pay for the wedding of their only child is NONE OF YOUR D__N business.
who the young couple invites to share in their special day, see above sentence.
we admire the values of the family, who clearly believe in this old adage "marriage before baby and carriage"
good luck and many blessings to chelsea and her husband.

Posted by: ninnafaye | August 2, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The American fascination with power and criminal activity, which made the Godfather such a national hit, can been seen in the hoopla over the Clinton wedding. The groom, Goldman Sachs escapee and hedge-fund hustler Marc Mezvinsky is the son of “Fast Eddie”, recently released from a five year federal stretch for fraud. Chelsea also worked at a hedge fund, has a mother famous for her banking shenanigans and a father whose radical deregulation cleared the way for the financial plunderers. Of course the Kennedy dynasty was founded by two of the worst Boston hoodlums ever - Patrick Kennedy and Honey-Fitz (Fitzgerald) – which is saying a very great deal indeed! The next generation produced the Prohibition racketeer Joe Kennedy and then the three disreputable Kennedy brothers – so the Clintons have some way to go.

Posted by: jucameron43 | August 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse