I repeat: Rep. Rangel, get out of the race

After watching Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) take to the floor of the House today to demand the ethics committee give him a hearing, among other things, I’d like to repeat a demand of my own from last week: Get out of the race, Rep. Rangel.

By Jonathan Capehart  | August 10, 2010; 2:04 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An apology to JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater
Next: Sen. Stevens, the tubes salute you

Comments

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."
Mark Twain had it right. Rangel is just one more poster child for term limits.

Posted by: staterighter | August 10, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Mark Twain had it right. Rangel is just one more poster child for term limits.

Posted by: staterighter | August 10, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Just typical of Democrats. They love to point fingers and demand action be taken, but when it is themselves they push back and denie any wrong doing. It would be nice for just once to see Pelosi give a position on this, and how it reflects on her claim to run the cleanest house ever! Right now, not so good! Democrats shouldbe ashamed of themselves for their behavior. This is just a reflection for how bad the Democratic leadership truly is.

Posted by: sanmateo1850 | August 10, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Look at the bright side, Charlie Rangel did introduce H.R.5741: Universal National Service Act, otherwise known as a military/civilian draft law, just 4 weeks ago. Such a parting gift should not be ignored.

Posted by: warnerme | August 10, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

TO: sanmateo1850 who wrote:
“…Democrats should be ashamed of themselves …”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I’ll tell you what makes me feel shame:

Republicans -- for being so darn dumb as to want to bring back a bunch of crooks who robbed us blind and nearly destroyed this country AND all of us in it, in the first place.

Rangel is over 80 years old, what do you expect?

Posted by: lindalovejones | August 10, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

lindalovejones; all,

i expect HONESTY & think that Charlie Rangel, Maxine Waters & every other CROOK in the government deserves:
indictment for crimes committed,
TRIAL "by a jury of his/her peers",
criminal convictions
AND
LONG prison sentences, W/O parole.

that is what would happen to both YOU & me if we did exactly the SAME things as the "congress-critters" get away with all the time.

get the message: it's "about" common decency, THE LAWS of this republic & nothing more than that.

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | August 10, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Leave Rangel alone! Where would he go? He's already in the Party of Corruption.

Posted by: jblast2000 | August 10, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Mr Rangel, Let me say it if no one else will. You are fired. You work for me, I am a American citizen. Now man up and go home before I press charges against you. It's time to clean house.

Posted by: annieandpauldonovan | August 10, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I have lost faith in our government. It seems to me that they are all liars and thieves. Whatever happened to the men and women that we could look up to??? We look more and more of that third world country that we always look down on for there stealing and crimes against there people.

Posted by: annieandpauldonovan | August 10, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

No member of the editorial board of The Washington Post is in a position to question the ethics of others, regardless of their merits.

Robert Vinson Brannum
rbrannum@robertbrannum.com

Posted by: robert158 | August 11, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Rangel is a war hero, a good man, a civil rights hero, a dedicated pubic servant, a money laundering crook, an influence peddler, a liar and a tax evader. No wonder I feel so screwed up whenever I vote?

Posted by: Candressuhmoose | August 11, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Why get out of the race? It's not like it's not a safe Dem seat. The racist voters in his district would never elect a Republican for that seat.

Posted by: traderdad37 | August 11, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

No Charlie! Stay in!! Air it all out!! Maybe in doing so a few other dirty pols will be exposed. That's what Capehart and other Dems are afraid of. That you'll take a few more down with you --- hence, your new home under the bus is being promted to you non-stop!

Posted by: CREEBOLD | August 11, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse