Making sense of Miss Philippines's 'Major Major'

On Monday night, Miss Philippines failed to become Miss Universe. Some attribute this to the fact that when someone asked her about mistakes she’d made, she responded that “you know what sir, in my 22 years of existence, there is nothing major major, any problem, that I have done in my life, because I am very confident with my family with the love that they are giving to me.”

Her remark caught fire -- Major Major is still trending on Twitter.

When I first heard it, I thought it was a reference to that character from Catch-22. “Good,” I thought. “Major Major deserves more credit.”

But when I figured it out, I approved even more.

The concept of Miss Universe has always troubled me. I just think it’s presumptuous of us to declare a beauty queen “Miss Universe” before we are absolutely certain that there is no intelligent life, anywhere. Miss Teen South Carolina certainly did a good job indicating that about Earth in 2007, with her rambling, ‘Like-such-as’-rich insistence that Americans couldn’t find things on maps because some "U.S. Americans" “don’t have maps.”

But we all have our skill sets. Someone once told me that there are seven different types of intelligence. I missed out on the evening-wear and talent-portion types because I was too busy acquiring the type of intelligence that makes it difficult for me to watch episodes of “The Tudors” without yelling at the screen, so I don’t have much experience with pageants. But I respect those who do. I once tried to become Miss Rural Electrification, but I couldn't find the entry form. This saddens me. I was going to electrify rural areas, using only my personality and one of those cattle prod things.

Still, looking at Miss Philippines, I was intrigued by her answer. Miss Philippines -- Venus Raj -- and I share the same age; she even, according to the Philippines web site, majored in journalism. And, yet, here she was, saying she had no regrets or major, major problems. Personally, I have lots of regrets. I lie around in the evenings bent and broken with remorse. Sometimes, late at night, I call strangers to apologize for nothing in particular. Maybe she knew something I didn't!

The more I contemplated Miss Raj’s remark, with its connections between youth, lack of regret, and familial support, the more it reminded me of an article that ran recently in the New York Times Magazine, saying that twenty-somethings exist in a bizarre Twilight zone, somewhere between dependency and adulthood, tethered to our homes and parents by an umbilical bank balance. We are confident with our families, with the love that they are giving to us. So we sit around pondering deep questions like whether or not our universe is actually located inside a black hole and coming up with convincing reasons not to apply for jobs. We have no major major problems. We have no regrets because we have never really had to, well, do anything. Miss Philippines’s remark could become the manifesto of our so-called boomerang generation.

Maybe that's wrong, though. After all, we twenty-somethings have a peculiar capacity to do lots of things without appearing to do anything. I have friends who have been locked indoors for months doing nothing but acquiring Twitter followers. Even Jesus, when he wanted new followers, had to go outdoors occasionally. But not these days! All you need is someone to tell people to follow you. It’s like the lemmings in front shouting to the lemmings at the back of the line. And we’re all contributing to the national discourse! (Speaking of which, follow @petridishes!)

Look at Facebook groups. “Why have you been sitting inside using the Internet for the past thirty-six hours?” our parents ask us. “I’m attending a protest!” we explain. That’s how protests work these days. All you have to do is click on something. If you’re really feeling radical, you can put an animated graphic of a burning flag on your profile page. But why go to that extreme? Older people are always terrified when they see Facebook groups with more than thirty members. They have this antiquated notion that if we ever got worked up enough, we might show up somewhere in person. True, we might, but only to check in on Foursquare.

Somehow, I've always seen this as a step in the right direction. Look how much we've accomplished without actually "doing" anything! We popularized that Cee-lo song! We almost ironically elected Basil Marceaux! Why stop now? No regrets! Let's push forward -- or, rather, stay put! Miss Philippines's statement is going to be my new creed.

Of course, Miss Philippines herself isn’t sitting on some couch somewhere, conscientiously objecting to a job in finance. She is rich enough in the seven intelligences to be the fourth runner-up to Miss Universe. She has a job working as an Information Assistant at the DENR Region IV, whatever that is. But the essence of pageants revolves not around doing but around being. Exciting and fulfilling as the lives of contestants may be, they are graded not on their apparent capacity to bricklay or redesign the electric grids of cities, but on existential qualities like Bone Structure and Loving One’s Fellow Man With Enthusiasm. We 20-somethings get that! We've been applying it to our lives for years. True, we can't all be Miss Universe -- or even the fourth runner-up. But we can stop doing things. “Doing” actual “things” only gives you regrets. The Major Major kind.

By Alexandra Petri  | August 25, 2010; 12:24 PM ET
Categories:  Petri  | Tags:  Alexandra Petri
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The party crack-up, cont.
Next: Will John McCain lead now?

Comments

OK, I liked this one! Not that there was any major major there there, but it was an entertaining read.

Posted by: Itzajob | August 25, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

it really makes sense ( the answer ) for those who are content
with the love shown to them directly . . that if you have that
love support system (FAMILY OR FRIENDS) . . EVERYTHING IS MINOR . . and you will always be confident and let live . . .
love your article . . an intelligent take on the matter . .
thanks Alexandra . . keep it up . .

Posted by: major21 | August 25, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

it really makes sense ( the answer ) for those who are content
with the love shown to them directly . . that if you have that
love your article . . an intelligent take on the matter . .
thanks Alexandra . . keep it up . .

Posted by: major21 | August 25, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I can see one major major thing wrong with this article before I even get past the headline. Philippines is misspelled. Seriously, Washington Post, your staff doesn't use spell check?

Posted by: eeeee1 | August 25, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

The Filipina is much better looking than the Mexican who won it that is for sure. No contest.

Posted by: screwjob21 | August 25, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

eeeee1 that is not a major mistake . . it is the point of the article
that is important .. .

screwjob21 filipina will go a loooooooong waaaaaay . . .
mexican is sooooo ordinary will be forgotten . . .

Posted by: major21 | August 25, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

OMG

Posted by: GaryEMasters | August 25, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

If you're still curious about the "DENR Region IV", the DENR means the "Department of Environment and Natural Resources" and the Region IV means the large group of provinces surrounding Manila. So, yeah, she's doing government work.

The more you know.

Posted by: justpassingbysodontmindme | August 25, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if Ms. Petri did a little background check on Ms. Raj's past, she wouldn't have written this article – or maybe she would, just not one as trite.

FYI, Ms. Raj was born out of wedlock, ate prejudice for breakfast, grew up in a thatched hut (without plumbing nor electricity) in the middle of a rice field, was schooled through the goodness of others as her mother was dirt poor, was stripped of her crown as the Philippines' representative to the Miss Universe pageant but justly reinstated weeks later because, according to her, she did bare all about the circumstances of her birth when she joined the pageant.

I, too, cringed when I heard her answer on TV. But she emerged from the contest joking about "major, major", telling reporters that she wouldn't change her answer if given the chance.

And really, now, what 'mistake' would she have mentioned? Was it her mistake her father abandoned their family? Or that she had to look for a philanthropist to put her through school? Or that she worked her ass off to graduate with honors? Or that she fought for her crown back home? Oh, yes – perhaps she should have said she once ordered white wine with red meat...or tagged the wrong person on Facebook...just to show the world she isn't perfect. Maybe that could have won her the crown.

Posted by: greenday | August 25, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

i guess if you are not a pilipino or if you are a fil crab it would be hard to understand what venus raj's answer to the question. I myself a filipina don't remember making a BIG mistakes that can turn into BIG problem in my 22 years of life becoz iam surrounded with a family who are always there to guide me to make sure i don't make a Big mistake because of their love and support, I am confident not to dissapoint them.I had some minor mistakes and I am sure Venus had some too but does she or did she had the time to elaborate her statement, no she was given 30 seconds to answer the question for me her answer was very clear, she had not done any BIG mistake in her 22 years of her existence or big problem coz she had confident in her family that gives her the love and she gives them love back by not dissapointing them and make sure she dont make any BIG mistake that can turn into a big problem. Pilipinos have this thing of making sure to do things right for your family, specially if you are tight close one. Venus Raj grew up in the middle of a farm which there is no access to electricity at the end of the day all she have is her family no tv to watch no computer to browse it's the kind of life they chose as her mother work in a ricefield to help with their everyday needs, their life is so simple but surrounded by a loving family her answer reflects the kind of life she have. Although living in a below average family she feels secured and confident being with them, a day to day job and making sure she wont make a BIG mistake as she moves on with her life, so far she said she has not done a BIG mistake and this is what she told everyone watching her on tv as she hopes to win that crown unfortunately it wasn't good enough for a lot of people or to the judges. It's unfortunate that people that don't know her life story cannot get the whole picture of what she said and judge her intelligence, it's unfortunate that the judges did not also get exactly what she was trying to tell them. Well I myself totally understood what Venus Raj's answer in my 22 years of life i made sure I don't make a BIG mistake coz if I do it might become a BIG problem and i would totlaly dissapoint my family that I love and loves me. Venus Raj Some people may totally get your point but some may not but one thing is for sure you are a beautiful woman with a good heart and you will not graduate as a cumlaude honors if you are not intelligent as you are, Hope this whole Miss Universe you had experienced will make you stronger than ever keep smiling and God bless you more than you expected.

Posted by: fortunata | August 25, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

perhaps the writer should have done her research on Venus Raj life first before writing this article perhaps it would had help her understood where Venus answer was coming from and not judge her intelligence

Posted by: fortunata | August 25, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Petri is entitled to be "intelligent", why, just look at her picture! Let's give it to her.
Although... this does not mean Venus Raj is not. As what others have said, Ms. Raj's road to the Ms. Universe stage is more admirable and interesting than Ms. Petri's "poor girl trying to be funny made a lot of mistakes" can ever be. Petri is a typical major major unattractive-white-girl-with-sour-grape-attitude-towards-gorgeous-non-whites. Did she say she's of the same age as Venus? Then why would she put her mother's picture in her column? Or could be her father's with a wig.

Posted by: twocents8 | August 26, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Now here's another video... pathetic oration, pathetic legs, pathetic puss-color-skin.

Posted by: twocents8 | August 26, 2010 2:26 AM | Report abuse

"pathetic puss-color-skin" eh, twocents8? You realize you're not only insulting the columnist but also all people of light skin color in the world, including those in Europe, Korea, Japan, China, USA, etc? Did your mother teach you to be bigoted and hateful against people who look different and have different opinions? I doubt Miss Philippines would appreciate the "support" you're showing her in a public forum, since her mother raised her to be gracious and accept difference. Apparently your mother never taught you how to be civilized. So sorry to hear that.

Posted by: fakedude2 | August 26, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Damn!!!you must see this!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGgtQR02WA

Posted by: jake_tod | August 26, 2010 4:05 AM | Report abuse

Try: If you watch the video again, you'd notice that the second "major" was actually a subconscious repetition while Raj did a split second tried-and-failed recall of Baldwin's term - "mistake" -, but yeah, "major major" has now become a major major meme in the PI.

Catch: I don't think Alexandra is judging Raj's intelligence. She's laying out a reason why Raj's answer wasn't any more imaginative than it was - and that is because Raj was young and most young people are --- lazy. Or something to that effect.

Raj opted to be honest that she has yet to make a mistake of that scale rather than fashion one little problem of hers into something more befitting just to impress the judges (or lie, whichever one's more accessible). Hers was by no means a wrong answer, but the way she said it sucked ass insofar as the question was a beauty pageant question that required a beauty pageant answer. She did answer it with a beauty pageant enthusiasm, we have to give her that! And I like that she took everything in stride after the whole deal, making cracks about it even, so props to her and her positivism.

Finally: Why in sun-dappled hell would Alexandra need to dig THAT deep in Raj's past? How exactly does her having a sob story help justify a JOYOUS TINGLING answer to a question about life mistakes? Seryoso.

BTW, it's entertaining the way you word your opinions, Miss Author. No "trite-ness" whatsoever.

Posted by: maxisaleo | August 26, 2010 4:12 AM | Report abuse

Wow. And I thought Eugene Robinson wrote STUPID SH*T.
This Rag Yellow Sheet "Newspaper" has become the 'HARDBALL SHOW' with Chris Mathews, of the printed word.

Posted by: GoomyGommy | August 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: twocents8
-----------------------------------

...while Soap Opera Sarah tells us her inbred teabagger cousins aren't racist...

Posted by: areyousaying | August 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Baldwin's question also made me reflect. I'm already 35 but I can honestly say that I didn't made any "major major" mistake in my life. Of course, I made mistakes but it's so "minor" that I don't even remember it. A MISTAKE can lead to a PROBLEM. So it does make sense. True, there's no humility to her answer, but is she not just telling what she felt? Remember that she's just 22. I'm a lot older but that question paused me. It was a direct question & she still has the answer, so she's pretty smart to me.

Posted by: amber23 | August 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

We, Filipinos, remain to be conservative and obedient to our parents. I am already 26-year old but till now I don't have anything which I could consider a big mistake. Why? Well, I am so thankful for the guidance of my family. I may having my own life now away from my parents but their love, and great advices remain within me. These makes me a person with honor and dignity. You cannot compare yourself at 20-something to Venus Raj because of the environment difference you are having. She was raised in a province...away from the busy/sinful and modern life in the city. Her only mistake in that Q&A portion was when she did not elaborate her answer. She was nervous, yes... but her answer was factual. An honest answer from a good daughter.

Posted by: cherryl_havea | August 26, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

We, Filipinos, remain to be conservative and obedient to our parents. I am already 26-year old but till now I don't have anything which I could consider a big mistake. Why? Well, I am so thankful for the guidance of my family. I may having my own life now away from my parents but their love, and great advices remain within me. These makes me a person with honor and dignity. You cannot compare yourself (at 20-something) to Venus Raj because of the environment difference you are having. She was raised in a province...away from the busy/sinful and modern life in the city. Her only mistake in that Q&A portion was when she did not elaborate her answer. She was nervous, yes... but her answer was factual. An honest answer from a good daughter.

Posted by: cherryl_havea | August 26, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cherryl_havea | August 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I get the overall point about 20-something as a generation of slackers, but Ms. Perti couldn't be more presumptuous in picking a more inappropriate symbol for her generation than Ms. Raj even despite Ms. Petri's highly pretensious and boringly, unoriginal disavowal of the presumptuousness of the Ms. Universe pagent. Far from Ms. Petri's 20-yr olds inside her inversely narcissistic mind ("i can't be ms universe, therefore I am smart"), Ms. Raj rose from the poorest of the poor - not very different from the types you see on "Feed the Children" commercials. She graduated college with honors - a rarity in and of itself. That she did it while being utterly poor and through the mercy of a charitable benefactor is even rarer still.

Far from Ms. Petri's condescending presumptions, Ms. Raj is who she is, not for failing to do anything to make "major, major" mistakes, but because she did more than most to not to become a mistake - a "major, major" one at that. Wherever Ms. Raj is now doesn't look like a "major, major" mistake from the rice paddies she grew up on.

Ms. Raj for sure made mistakes in her impoverished life and her slow rising from it, but if Ms. Raj sees them differently, that's probably why she's rising from her poverty, in the first place.

Ms. Petri can write about the slacker generation all she wants, but Ms. Raj is no slacker, and writing as if she were, demolishes Ms. Petri's premise. Perhaps, this isn't so clear from her hip, intellectually glamorous desk at WaPo where she rules on matters of 20-something- culture and her fellow i'm-no-miss-u-material-so-i'm-super-smart" types perpetually reassure each other, but for us down here in our rice paddies, we're not so sure you're super smart.

Posted by: moonrage | August 26, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Being married to a Filipino, one thing I've learned about her use of English is the tendency to say some words twice. Her friends all do it too. 'Party' would be 'party party'. So this ladies use of 'major major' seems normal, not sure why the doublespeak though.

Posted by: wrr123 | August 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, but your transcription has a bit of mistake. Miss Philippines didn't say 'any problem.' She said 'i mean, problem.' Which means i think instead of 'major problem,' she blurted out 'major major.' So, she was trying to correct her own statement, borne out of nervousness, no doubt.

Posted by: mc_210 | August 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I have read a grand total of two of your columns. Both have been hilarious!

I may be premature but I am going to go out on a very long and rickety limb and proclaim your comedic brilliance.

Posted by: rick390 | August 26, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I have read a grand total of two of your columns. Both were hilarious!

It may be premature but I am willing to go out on limb and proclaim your comedic brilliance.

Posted by: rick390 | August 26, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

@mc_210: "Miss Philippines didn't say 'any problem.' She said 'i mean, problem.' Which means i think instead of 'major problem,' she blurted out 'major major.' So, she was trying to correct her own statement, borne out of nervousness, no doubt."

i strongly agree! and i'm wondering why people are making it a laughing matter! :(

Posted by: justmistyblue | August 26, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

i strongly agree with you! and i'm wondering why people are making it a laughing matter. :(

Posted by: justmistyblue | August 26, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: justmistyblue | August 26, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

to the author, please do put in commas where they're supposed to be

"you know what, sir, in my 22 years of existence, there is nothing major, major problem that I have done in my life, because I am very confident with my family, with the love that they are giving to me.”

Posted by: juliab1 | August 26, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the fun read. I finished without actually meaning to and I had a major major (2 x major = great?) time reading it.

Posted by: Ashinigami | August 27, 2010 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Often times, when English is not your mother tongue, you tend to "lose it" when you are under stress. Your accent becomes more pronounced, you forget words, and you revert to the way things are said in your native dialect. In the Filipino language, words are repeated for emphasis, "walang-wala" (nothing, nothing); "hinding-hindi" (no, no).

Posted by: gigics98 | August 27, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gigics98 | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

some seem to think ms petri is witty. sure there are those who can be both witty while dripping with east coast contempt and condenscencion. but ms. petri is just sad and wet; witty she isn't. she may be self-confessedly unpretty, but her smug inverse narcissism for her unprettiness is anything but smarts.

so she doesn 't like pageants. but at least she respects those who do. right? in ms petri's vanity, that respect must be a strain on her tolerance to look down on the uneducated masses when she could have chosen not to look at all because she's too busy to acquire the kind of intelligence that makes liking pageants impossible. at least ms petri is still able to respect those dumb enough to enjoy pageants unlike her who is smart enough to scream while watching "The Tudors" (though dumb enough to watch it in the first place.)

and perhaps that snide comment "whatever that is (DENR Region IV)" is evidence of ms petri's curious intelligence. but a quick google would have given ms petri her answer. but why should she google when whatever DENR is will not change her overall point? google is pointless because the remark is absolutely pointless except in reminding her readers just how sophisticated and first-wordly ms petri is.

it must be tough to be a harvard grad writing for the washington post and be eclipsed by a beauty queen. in her world, ms petri would be loved and respected. her kind of work will be valued most. that it is rather ms mexico, ms philippines, ms universe - those kind -that start and stop wars, inspire poems, sculptures, suicides, life itself - that has to be very invalidating for ms petri.

but it's hard to love and respect someone when that someone mocks and spits at your kind of love and respect.

ms raj has done more, worked more, suffered more than ms petri ever could while studying at harvard's $35K/year campus, or in her entire life in the rich and powerful usa. ms raj made herself a wonderful human being so far with the very little she was born with. whatever ms petri suffered in her worst days, those are the kind of days that ms raj lives in her fantasies. given the same chance, i am pretty sure ms raj would be at harvard too running circles around ms petri's so-called intelligence. but maybe it's a good thing ms raj wasn't at harvard. there are way too many jerks coming out of there.

ms petri, find another poster girl for your 20-yr old slacker. ms raj may still be tied at the umbilical cord to her family but that's because she has to provide for her family. it's not because she's mooching on the lots and lots of nothing that her family has.

Posted by: moonrage | August 27, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This was a tough question and unfair. If she did not have anything major in her life, she was right to answer it this way.

The who female beauty paegants are a disgrace to humanity. It treats women like some object or pieces of meat.

Posted by: chaudharyg | August 27, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Who sent the link to this article to everyone in the Philippines? I love Petri's articles, but the comments are often even funnier.

Posted by: jeffwacker | August 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks much for taking time out from your intellectual pursuits to "respectfully" show us we're majorly, majorly dumb for taking our pageants seriously. Very Imelda Marcos.

I wish you were watching "The Tudors" as I read this bit of "The Harvard Crimson" witty insight so we could've screamed in duet. I'm sure the historical inaccuracies in "The Tudors" are as painful as the self-unaware arrogance of someone who might not even have really earned her spot at Harvard.

Unless Asians no longer have the highest GPAs in the US or the ratio of Asians at Harvard is no longer limited by affirmative action to the ratio of Asians to the overall population in the US, and the admission requirements for Asians are no longer higher than everyone else's in order to maintain proportional representation, you may have been at Harvard only because not all Asians smarter than you can be. Otherwise, you'll be writing snarkily about how your community college diploma is just as good as Harvard's.

So unless you know for sure that you're not merely the invention of social engineering, you'd sound more intelligent with a little humility. You're not as brilliant as you think even if you're right that you're not too easy on the eyes. The absence of any "evening wear and talent portion" kind of intelligence doesn't prove the existence of intelligence of any other kinds. Ugliness is just evidence of ugliness, really. I'm not saying you're ugly, of course. I respect your lack of pageant intelligence just as you surely respect my "Tudor" ignorance. And for as long as we respect each other, let me just point out that even at Harvard, the Asians who bested you there are no more Asian than Venus except Venus is much, much hungrier than those Asians at Harvard, I assure you. Poverty majorly, majorly does that to the will. But hey, we can't all be in the US. You should never have to write that piece about the equal intelligence of community college grads or pageant fans.

Posted by: mayumibarredo | August 28, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

she was just plain and simple surprised with the question that she had to find words to blurt out. under such pressure, it is not surprising that she talked like most filipinos do. she actually meant she cant think of any major mistake. we wish she could have composed a better answer. but then again, manny paquiao's english is worse. so let's move on. :)

Posted by: gelumantao | August 28, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

I think this article was written by an author with a very narrow mind. She talks about things vaguely, rather than "making sense" of what the contestant was really saying. It seems that the article revolves more around her own thoughts, and social groups, rather than making sense of the "Major Major" her article seems to explain. In my own honest opinion, it the author of this article tackled this subject more for her own gain of fame, and to express her own ideas about pageants in general. I mean, honestly now, "She has a job working as an Information Assistant at the DENR Region IV, whatever that is.", at least do your research and stop making it seem that you wrote the article with such a narrow mind. Also, the way you say "pageants revolve around being", then I must ask, what other types of competition has there been without having to "be" something. In most cases, you have to be the "best". Pageant contestants aren't just what they are, they do their very best in order to achieve their title. For example, you, dear author, win the "Feeling a bit Insecure" award, from yours truly.

Posted by: lostcurs3 | August 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

We all must admit that we are not perfect.God created us in His likeness,but it doesn't mean that we are sinless because God is the only perfect image in this universe...Like Ms.Venus Raj,she also has imperfections.It just happened that she was taken away by the pressure that she felt during the Q.& A. portion.She was so nervous that she haven't heard herself repeated the word "Major" twice.Even if she didn't got the crown,she's still the number one for us,Filipinos.Long live THE QUEEN!Long live Maria Venus Raj!

Posted by: beb94 | August 30, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse